• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

Why can Vergil wavedash without crouch-canceling? Seriously. Just hold forward and mash on your dash macro and it works. o_O

Well that's pretty derpy. And I still can't get any real dashing going on. I swear I lose more matches because of poor footsies than I do from anything else.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Wow that's kinda funny. I can press it as fast as hell and works just fine. Are there characters other than Vergil and Ghost Rider that have this?

Why can Vergil wavedash without crouch-canceling? Seriously. Just hold forward and mash on your dash macro and it works. o_O
Haha. Someone on GFAQs made a post about this and it blew my mind.

But melee characters usually either have a good wave dash or good up close normals and mix ups to threaten you with. What does Ghost Rider have when he moves forward?
Ghost Rider has his huge normals. I'm not looking to open people up. I honestly don't think Ghost Rider excels at it and ever well. I'm looking to chip people down over time.

The best thing you can do is corner the opponent and pile on the chip with Eat Chain and Heartless Spire. They will probably make a mistake and you can get a combo on them. I also save up my meter for LVL3 as getting someone in that is basically a character kill.
That's why I am thinking about Haggar over Iron Man. People duck the Double Lariat and I get to land Ghost Rider's level 3.

On a serious note that addresses what you just said though I like Chun with X-23 ankle slice assist. It looked good when Chris G was low tier hero-ing Hsien Ko. That combination was really the only reason I saw him as making it with the 3.
I think people are already going to be trying to air throw Chun-li. People rarely stay on the ground these days, I can only recommend low hitting assists for characters that can really, really make them work.

What are Chun Li's mix ups? Overhead and air dash cross ups with the occasional air throw stuff? Doesn't seem to be too threatening and the lack of a good low really hurts her high low game.

Chun Li is a solid anti-rushdown character though, invincible hyper, 2 reversals and her Kicks make it really hard to get in on her.
6 frames for a recent range low is fine. She's the fastest character in the game, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. Yeah, her big thing is air dashing past people while calling the assist. I'm not saying she's Vergil tier or anything, just that I think she has good stuff going for her.

Wow that's kinda funny. I can press it as fast as hell and works just fine. Are there characters other than Vergil and Ghost Rider that have this?
It would be awesome if it worked for any character that has a command normal. Dormammu would have a wavedash! :-O

shaowebb

I think people are already going to be trying to air throw Chun-li. People rarely stay on the ground these days, I can only recommend low hitting assists for characters that can really, really make them work.

It also OTG's from what the book says. Given its range that could be useful for combos since all she has is pogo, lightning legs, SBK as an option after it. Maybe if you could pogo and assist catch em. Could Repulsor do that?

It also OTG's from what the book says. Given its range that could be useful for combos since all she has is pogo, lightning legs, SBK as an option after it. Maybe if you could pogo and assist catch em. Could Repulsor do that?
I think the damage there would be minimal, and as a rule I don't use assists purely for combo extension. Most characters can do good damage alone. It's just laziness that makes people pick Wesker, etc. That's not to say that they aren't good, and you don't get more damage. I just prefer to do the character's combos.

Repulsor probably could, but I don't want Iron Man on my team...hahaha. Not this team, at least.

I'm actually leaning toward Akuma as the third assist. It seems redundant with Shopping Cart, but I'm thinking about using it for Frank after I get him to level 5.

Chun is aight, can get 700K+ off an IOH or low, I believe. Stupidest unnecessarily hard air throw combos this side of SJ height Iron Man though (and Tony's aren't that bad with some practice), don't really get why because they don't do great or even good damage.

The invincibility and reversals are good to have, but it's really hard to find her niche, especially since a ton of other characters have more oppressive high-low-throw games. I guess they were kinda going for that with her, since her throw range can be pretty silly, and tried to spice it up with some invincibility/beefy leg hitboxes/reversals, but I don't know how good that whole package is in the long run tbh.

A practical reason for running her is her main problem. Slightly above average to below average pretty much across the board as a character, which sucks, because it's Chun. What does she do better than anyone else other than be Chun-Li :p?

Also good stuff smurf on getting dat GALACTUS power. Still trolling in my master rank, hahaha.

Showing off a recent TAC combo Abegen did on stream.
Why do you think he made the video? The account is under Saitsuofleaves, whom is a SRK poster, and IIRC Serpentaurus' SRK account is Serpentaurus. Also, this is why low tier players drive me nuts. Lots of complaining, but almost no work put into their character to see what they can actually do. Good for Abegen. This could have been discovered way back in Vanilla.

Chun is aight, can get 700K+ off an IOH or low, I believe. Stupidest unnecessarily hard air throw combos this side of SJ height Iron Man though (and Tony's aren't that bad with some practice), don't really get why because they don't do great or even good damage.

The invincibility and reversals are good to have, but it's really hard to find her niche, especially since a ton of other characters have more oppressive high-low-throw games. I guess they were kinda going for that with her, since her throw range can be pretty silly, and tried to spice it up with some invincibility/beefy leg hitboxes/reversals, but I don't know how good that whole package is in the long run tbh.

A practical reason for running her is her main problem. Slightly above average to below average pretty much across the board as a character, which sucks, because it's Chun. What does she do better than anyone else other than be Chun-Li :p?

Also good stuff smurf on getting dat GALACTUS power. Still trolling in my master rank, hahaha.
Chun-li has three things going for her that rushdown characters like Wolverine don't.
1) A great assist.
2) TAC glitch.
3) TAC infinite.

Edit: thought of a fourth thing:
4) An anti-air that leads to full combos and is perfectly safe on block.

Hence why I'm pairing her with Frank, beyond his assist being perfect for her.

Sorry he had it on gamefaqs. I am bored and just am too busy jumping and trying to pass time. Sorry I jump forums rapidly.

EDIT: I haven't heard from Satsuifleaves in a while on SRK. Think he left.

Dahbomb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wkKIm2gESQ

Crosscounter live episode. Recapped ECT and CEO plus some Marvel meta talk with Eliver and FChamp. FChamp claims that he will download all the Japanese players at FGTV and then beat them at EVO.

FChamp also putting Daigo on blast.

Chun-li has three things going for her that rushdown characters like Wolverine don't.
Chun Li also has a fireball she can sort of approach under, an air dash plus triple jump and lots of great reversal options. She would be a great character if she had some godly mix ups. Her damage wouldn't be as big of an issue if she consistently got hits on you.

Sorry he had it on gamefaqs. I am bored and just am too busy jumping and trying to pass time. Sorry I jump forums rapidly.

EDIT: I haven't heard from Satsuifleaves in a while on SRK. Think he left.
No problem. I think Saitsuofleaves got pretty angsty after a while. He was always an angry guy.

Edit: I never knew that RayRay has a Chun-li alt team (Chun-li/Taskmaster/Akuma).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
1) A great assist.
2) TAC glitch.
3) TAC infinite.

Edit: thought of a fourth thing:
4) An anti-air that leads to full combos and is perfectly safe on block.
Calling any of her assists "great" is a stretch, and (3) isn't that impressive because you damn well ought to be killing off of a TAC with any character anyway.

Calling any of her assists "great" is a stretch, and (3) isn't that impressive because you damn well ought to be killing off of a TAC with any character anyway.
Yeah, TACs lead to character kills if you want to burn meter. An infinite is still worth talking about because it doesn't burn meter. Her lockdown is one of the longest in the game - maybe it is the longest if you don't include Tenderizer, which isn't very good for lockdown generally. If you just want to say it's "good", fine. The point is that Wolverine, etc. have trash for assists, and she doesn't.

Yeah, TACs lead to character kills if you want to burn meter. An infinite is still worth talking about because it doesn't burn meter. Her lockdown is one of the longest in the game - maybe it is the longest if you don't include Tenderizer, which isn't very good for lockdown generally. If you just want to say it's "good", fine. The point is that Wolverine, etc. have trash for assists, and she doesn't.

You can do the infinite off of one TAC right? It'd be interesting to do it with one of the TAC trick characters and phoenix.

smurfx

get some go again
i think justin will be riding his new team all the way. unless there is some person beating everybody with some gimmick and he thinks wolverine would do better but other than that i doubt he goes back to his old team.

shaowebb

i think justin will be riding his new team all the way. unless there is some person beating everybody with some gimmick and he thinks wolverine would do better but other than that i doubt he goes back to his old team.

Yeah...i'm sad he dumped Iron Fist, but his team wasn't really built to use him. It was 2 point characters he liked to play plus Akuma which is one of his best who only really worked for Wolvie. He was alright for Fist, but nothing near as amazing as akuma +wolvie. He popped in Storm on that team didn't he before he swapped out to the derp squad didn't he?

Yeah...i'm sad he dumped Iron Fist, but his team wasn't really built to use him. It was 2 point characters he liked to play plus Akuma which is one of his best who only really worked for Wolvie. He was alright for Fist, but nothing near as amazing as akuma +wolvie. He popped in Storm on that team didn't he before he swapped out to the derp squad didn't he?
That's how I see the Iron Fist team, too.

This also got posted in the Thor thread crimson was talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVopIud6v0o&feature=related

New to me, at least.

Guys like this would really upset American tier lists:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNFlKGBSX9A&feature=player_embedded

getting a grip of this game is so hard. I'd call myself above average at Street Fighter (especially ST) but this game, maaaaan I just get blown up on the daily. any tips that I should consider when coming from SF to this?

edit: i had vanilla mvc3 but never got into it. just got umvc3 a few days ago. I would consider myself decent at mvc2, but this game seems to be a completely different beast.

smurfx

get some go again
getting a grip of this game is so hard. I'd call myself above average at Street Fighter (especially ST) but this game, maaaaan I just get blown up on the daily. any tips that I should consider when coming from SF to this?
use training mode to its fullest. if anything is giving you problems then record it in training mode and then find counters. i still don't use training mode as much as i should but since you are starting fresh you should make it a habit to exploit it. other than that make sure to practice your combos till they become a part of you and you won't panic when you get a hit confirm against somebody.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

edit: i had vanilla mvc3 but never got into it. just got umvc3 a few days ago. I would consider myself decent at mvc2, but this game seems to be a completely different beast.
Basic fighting game 4-step plan:

1) Stick to strategies, tactics, setups, and attacks with a favorable risk/reward ratio so that
2) the opponent is forced into a disavantageous situation where
3) he will eventually make a mistake that you can
4) capitalize on with a big combo.

That pretty much applies to most fighting games in general. I think the trick in Marvel is knowing how to accomplish 1 & 2 via good team building. Assists that control important parts of the screen for you (horizontal projectiles/beams for grounded approaches and teleport mix-ups, Vajra to knock people out of the sky, Hidden Missiles to disrupt and restrict the opponent's offense, Lariat/Tatsu/Repulsor/GammaCharge for defense), knowing how to call and cover assists safely, having good offensive and defensive DHC synergy, being able to discern the opponent's gameplan from his team construction and strategizing a way to dismantle it (XF canceling against the biggest threat, snap back to disrupt order and bring in a threatening anchor, sniping important assists when you expect them to be called), having good mix-ups to execute once you've got your opponent boxed in, and knowing how to convert any hit into respectable damage (2-touch kills at most). It's all about overwhelming the opponent and restricting their options.

Oh hey someone figured out how to wallbounce with Akuma.

How it happened is in the description

I wonder if this trick is useful for anything? Maybe as a tool for other characters if its universal. Anyone got any ideas?

Also Spidey/Thor/Arthur team combos for something different to enjoy
A lot of characters have a TAC thing like that. Weird stuff. Firebrand has one I think. It's very fidgety.

Watch competitive play for your characters, and stick to one team until you feel comfortable with them before experimenting around.

mr. puppy

Banned
Oh hey someone figured out how to wallbounce with Akuma.

How it happened is in the description

I wonder if this trick is useful for anything? Maybe as a tool for other characters if its universal. Anyone got any ideas?

Also Spidey/Thor/Arthur team combos for something different to enjoy

having to do a million web swings in spiderman combos just makes the character seem so not fun, and dare i say...un hype. you can literally jump to any part of the video and spidey is most likely doing a web swing.

LakeEarth

Guys like this would really upset American tier lists:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNFlKGBSX9A&feature=player_embedded
I love watching people who clearly put the time into this game, and are always aware. Slightly too far for hyper to hit? Immediately DHC. X-factored? Take advantage of xfactor only combos. Going to cross-up mid combo? Adjust, keep the combo going. And awesome use of that Iron Man assist.

Also, I didn't realize Vergil's behind the back swords persist while getting hit.

smurfx

get some go again
is there more footage of this condor missile guy? his opponent wasn't really on his level so i'd like to see more stuff against better competition.

Tirael

Okay, here is the number one thing messing me up in my sparring matches with my partner. If I'm playing Taskmaster, and I try to zone out Vergil, he teleports behind me and hits me during recovery. I intent to use Arthur during the tournament coming up, and I'm sure he'd do the same thing. What is the best thing for me to do to stop this? Option selects, good specials? I just need something, haha.

smurfx

get some go again
Okay, here is the number one thing messing me up in my sparring matches with my partner. If I'm playing Taskmaster, and I try to zone out Vergil, he teleports behind me and hits me during recovery. I intent to use Arthur during the tournament coming up, and I'm sure he'd do the same thing. What is the best thing for me to do to stop this? Option selects, good specials? I just need something, haha.
what is your team?

Nert

having to do a million web swings in spiderman combos just makes the character seem so not fun, and dare i say...un hype. you can literally jump to any part of the video and spidey is most likely doing a web swing.

I just think that the combo video needed another editing pass. Even if the bulk of the video was meant to be based around Spiderman combos, more combos starting with Arthur or Thor could have helped to mix things up. The Spiderman combos themselves could have been more varied, too, as the video had a lot of repetition with very small variations of that web throw combo.

I really love that guy's team, though.

Tirael

what is your team?

At the tournament, I plan on running Task/Deadpool/Arthur.

Deadpool's overhead is awesome and converts into a full combo, and the only person who has a chance of beating me can't block overheads for shit. I'm open to suggestions, though, I'm not dead-set on running this team.

I just wish I could play Spencer. I tried and tried to get his combos down, but couldn't.

shaowebb

I just think that the combo video needed another editing pass. Even if the bulk of the video was meant to be based around Spiderman combos, more combos starting with Arthur or Thor could have helped to mix things up. The Spiderman combos themselves could have been more varied, too, as the video had a lot of repetition with very small variations of that web throw combo.

I really love that guy's team, though.

Me too. Its why I posted it because it was so interesting. It looked like he was mainly fishing for TAC combos to get Thor in at sky level to maximize combos. I liked his Arthur, but I would've enjoyed more use of the other two doing combos that utilized spidey assist somehow to show some all over chemistry. Fun player and team though so worth the post in my eyes.

Solune

Does the Plasma Beam + Zipline lead into a full combo no matter where Spencer starts from relative to the opponent? If so, thank you for the knowledge boost and correction.

Just bringing this up again Karst cause I was trying it and LOL. The time you have to hitconfirm is pretty ridiculous and yes it works from any position. It's as you would expect, braindead! It's no wonder I was running Plasma Beam for so long.

smurfx

get some go again

Deadpool's overhead is awesome and converts into a full combo, and the only person who has a chance of beating me can't block overheads for shit. I'm open to suggestions, though, I'm not dead-set on running this team.

I just wish I could play Spencer. I tried and tried to get his combos down, but couldn't.
make sure to use arthurs projectile assist to cover you so he doesn't just punish you when you are zoning. plus don't just zone him with task either. mix it up so you don't become predictable.

Tirael

make sure to use arthurs projectile assist to cover you so he doesn't just punish you when you are zoning. plus don't just zone him with task either. mix it up so you don't become predictable.

Oh, I know how to confirm a cr.M to a full combo with Task, and my footsies are fair. And you mean Daggers with Arthur? That's the assist I intend to use, but he comes out in FRONT of my point character, therefore Vergil can just teleport behind me and punish BOTH. His Vergil is a team-killer, if I can take out Vergil it's smooth sailing.

is there more footage of this condor missile guy? his opponent wasn't really on his level so i'd like to see more stuff against better competition.
You can check youtube as well as I can. ;-)

I was really glad to see him using Charging Star backed by Unibeam. It's a combination I've thought was underused for a long time. Well, not just Unibeam, but any projectile that lets Captain America get full combos off of Charging Star. That move is stupid good.

A couple of things can help you when trying to zone Vergil:
1) Use Aim Master M in the air, but don't charge it. This is much, much safer than charging it, and Vergil can't punish you as easily.

2) Call Arthur and do an empty jump back. If Vergil blocks the daggers, throw out your arrows for more chip. If Vergil teleports, you get a free combo (and should be able to kill him).

3) Rush him. You have Arthur's daggers. The only thing Vergil could stop you with his Spiral Swords. And if he has that, you should be superjumping the hell away. You can also just dash forward once after calling the daggers so that if he does teleport, the daggers hit him from behind.

The key to beating most teleporters is to be patient. Most of them, especially Vergil players, eventually get impatient and just do random teleports because they aren't actually any good at the game.

Spencer's really easy. What are you having problems with?

Just bringing this up again Karst cause I was trying it and LOL. The time you have to hitconfirm is pretty ridiculous and yes it works from any position. It's as you would expect, braindead! It's no wonder I was running Plasma Beam for so long.
Good to know. I might make a Spencer team later on. I spend about 3 hours in training mode with Chun-li and Frank West today. Chun-li has double overheads that are hard as heck to do (d+M right as you leave the ground, dash cancel into j.H). I can now do a 400K meterless combo with her 25% of the time, lol. Goddamn she's a lot of work. Then I went into training mode to mess with Vergil and just did c.LMHSHS, sj.MMHS and got 400K. -_-

smurfx

get some go again
Oh, I know how to confirm a cr.M to a full combo with Task, and my footsies are fair. And you mean Daggers with Arthur? That's the assist I intend to use, but he comes out in FRONT of my point character, therefore Vergil can just teleport behind me and punish BOTH. His Vergil is a team-killer, if I can take out Vergil it's smooth sailing.
you just have to play around with daggers and tasks zoning and time it so he can't just teleport behind you. learn to use shield skills and then call in daggers and cancel into either arrows or sting master. it will let you chip him down and pressure him. daggers cause a bunch of hitstun when you land them so that will give you enough time to punish any of his characters.

JeTmAn81

1) Use Aim Master M in the air, but don't charge it. This is much, much safer than charging it, and Vergil can't punish you as easily.

Do you mean Aim Master H (the down one)? Or do you mean doing the Web Swing into Aim Master M or something? For the horizontal arrows it's unlikely that firing them very high in the air (normal or super jump height) is going to do much a Vergil trying to go for ground teleports on you. Against Vergils with Taskmaster, his option selects (F+H, B+H) seem to work well against teleports, though it gets trickier if they cover themselves really well with an assist.

edit: NM, forgot the M arrows go down at an angle.

Tirael

2) Call Arthur and do an empty jump back. If Vergil blocks the daggers, throw out your arrows for more chip. If Vergil teleports, you get a free combo (and should be able to kill him).

3) Rush him. You have Arthur's daggers. The only thing Vergil could stop you with his Spiral Swords. And if he has that, you should be superjumping the hell away. You can also just dash forward once after calling the daggers so that if he does teleport, the daggers hit him from behind.

The key to beating most teleporters is to be patient. Most of them, especially Vergil players, eventually get impatient and just do random teleports because they aren't actually any good at the game.
Wow, thanks! That's actually extremely helpful. And when you say to do an empty jump back while calling assist to get a free combo, do you mean punish him during the recovery of the teleport?

Spencer's really easy. What are you having problems with?

When trying to do his normal BNB, I drop it. It's LMHS, MMH, zip DF, S, land, jump, OTG zip M, and then after the wall bounce, zip DF, S, land, H, QCF+L, L, dash forward, TK QCF+S, Bionic Maneuvers. The problem I'm having is after the wall bounce, I zip down forward, but can never link the S, land, H. Either the S doesn't even come out, or it comes out too early and I can't land in time to hit the H. The timing on that is a lot more strict than I can figure out.

Edit: Me too, Kevo. I can do Taskmaster's BNB easy, but not Spencer's.

When trying to do his normal BNB, I drop it. It's LMHS, MMH, zip DF, S, land, jump, OTG zip M, and then after the wall bounce, zip DF, S, land, H, QCF+L, L, dash forward, TK QCF+S, Bionic Maneuvers. The problem I'm having is after the wall bounce, I zip down forward, but can never link the S, land, H. Either the S doesn't even come out, or it comes out too early and I can't land in time to hit the H. The timing on that is a lot more strict than I can figure out.

is this corner or midscreen? what is your assist setup?

Tirael

is this corner or midscreen? what is your assist setup?

Uh, I think it's a midscreen combo. I think if you're in the corner, you have to zip straight down and do different things. But I'm not always going to have them in the corner, so I mainly worked on midscreen, and when I couldn't get it, I dropped him. Not really interested in using Spencer any more, though.... >_>

So after spending some time with Chun-li, I think she's really fun. Her combos are hard as hell to pull off, but I'm enjoying using her and the execution she demands. I don't think I'll keep Akuma on the team, it's really hard for her to hit confirm off of. So right now my team is:

Chun-li/Frank West/???

Very open to suggestions. Some sort of projectile assist seems like a good idea. I'm slightly annoyed that Chun-li doesn't have Kikosho for all of her THC options. That should have been a no-brainer, Capcom! Chun-li's lightning legs assist gives Frank West time to snap a picture and relaunch, almost enough time to snap two pictures and relaunch, really. I thought about Arthur for my third, but if he gets snapped in things will not be pretty for him. I'm also considering Rocket Raccoon with Log Trap.

Is there a video that shows all the inputs for Knives' combos? with the criss cross, H(?) xx bionic arm ender?
No clue, but I bet the SRK forums have it all taken down. I don't think you should worry too much about his best combos if you're just learning him. ABCs will get you far with Spencer. c.LMHS, sj.MMHS, qcf.S gets you 600K.

On a related note, after an hour of training mode I was able to get my Firebrand bnb to 408K meterless while getting both assist calls and being able to activate my unblockable follow-up. I'm still working on the optimal combo from a Bon Voyage, but when starting from the corner I'm a lot closer to optimizing than I was before.

all this talk about how spencer is soooo easy makes me feel very fradulent :(
Don't feel bad about it. The game is about having fun, nothing more. If character difficulty mattered, we'd all be Chun-li, Shuma-Gorath, Morrigan, and Jill mains. As long as you like who you play, that's all that matters. I also think Spencer is a lot of fun to play, and BIONIC AAAAARM is just as satisfying to hear today as it was on release. You could have a character that's easy as hell to play and boring to boot. ;-)

Wow, thanks! That's actually extremely helpful. And when you say to do an empty jump back while calling assist to get a free combo, do you mean punish him during the recovery of the teleport?
Yup! It especially helps if you consistently jump back into arrows against non-teleporters, so the Vergil player will think he's just being smart and catching your bad habit.

Ah, well I usually just go straight into Bionic Arm after the wall bounce to save myself the trouble, haha. One thing I've noticed when I do extend the combo, though is that Spencer recovers way faster from the zip kick than you would think. Maybe that will help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom