• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solune

The key to beating most teleporters is to be patient. Most of them, especially Vergil players, eventually get impatient and just do random teleports because they aren't actually any good at the game.

Good to know. I might make a Spencer team later on. I spend about 3 hours in training mode with Chun-li and Frank West today. Chun-li has double overheads that are hard as heck to do (d+M right as you leave the ground, dash cancel into j.H). I can now do a 400K meterless combo with her 25% of the time, lol. Goddamn she's a lot of work. Then I went into training mode to mess with Vergil and just did c.LMHSHS, sj.MMHS and got 400K. -_-

Why are you exposing my Vergil tactics?

Chun IS alot of work, I wanted to play her originally but dropped her because I don't have the execution for her not because she's low tier or anything. I think her Marvel 3 incarnation is my favorite of all.

In Vergil's defense, his round trip loops are much harder (if you guys were in the same IRC channel as me I ALWAYS complain how people can't do the loop) Hell even I mess up the round trip loop in Devil Trigger like more than 50% of the time. And I've been doing ALOT of loops day in and day out. Trying to make that Vergil TAC Swag video.
DAT GRAVITY SQUEEZE HAND:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_c1BBDCj5kE

You will get hyped watching this match from the crowd perspective.

Reposting since new page and all.

Basic fighting game 4-step plan:

1) Stick to strategies, tactics, setups, and attacks with a favorable risk/reward ratio so that
2) the opponent is forced into a disavantageous situation where
3) he will eventually make a mistake that you can
4) capitalize on with a big combo.

That pretty much applies to most fighting games in general. I think the trick in Marvel is knowing how to accomplish 1 & 2 via good team building. Assists that control important parts of the screen for you (horizontal projectiles/beams for grounded approaches and teleport mix-ups, Vajra to knock people out of the sky, Hidden Missiles to disrupt and restrict the opponent's offense, Lariat/Tatsu/Repulsor/GammaCharge for defense), knowing how to call and cover assists safely, having good offensive and defensive DHC synergy, being able to discern the opponent's gameplan from his team construction and strategizing a way to dismantle it (XF canceling against the biggest threat, snap back to disrupt order and bring in a threatening anchor, sniping important assists when you expect them to be called), having good mix-ups to execute once you've got your opponent boxed in, and knowing how to convert any hit into respectable damage (2-touch kills at most). It's all about overwhelming the opponent and restricting their options.

Just wanted to say this is excellent advice for any noob to UMvC3 or really any FG. Great stuff.

zlatko

Banned
I really need to stop selling this game lol.

Sold vanilla, bought Ultimate, sold ultimate, bought it again because a buddy talked shit and said he'd destroy me at it. Mind you this was on a weekend stint and when I asked if he had it, he said he had vanilla...wtf? I bought Ultimate that trip (at gamestop and it didn't have a used copy... WTF?!) so I shelled out 40 bones for it, and then sold it again after.

Oh bodied my buddy free. <_< Apparently he didn't know how x factor, cross ups, or anything worked. It was Sigma free. I just used my standard bnbs over and over, and he couldn't do shit even though I'd let him know "this is an over head", or "you have to block this the other direction."

I want to pick it back up to actually learn Magneto, but everytime I've tried I give up, because for the life of me, my execution is too ass to do pimp slap combos. I don't really want to play my Nova/Hawk/Wesker team either. Super easy execution for all 3, but aside from Nova I find them boring to play.

------------

I've watched videos of Magneto loops before, but couldn't get it down. Is there some kind of better resource to learn his combos? :(

Good to know. I might make a Spencer team later on. I spend about 3 hours in training mode with Chun-li and Frank West today. Chun-li has double overheads that are hard as heck to do (d+M right as you leave the ground, dash cancel into j.H). I can now do a 400K meterless combo with her 25% of the time, lol. Goddamn she's a lot of work. Then I went into training mode to mess with Vergil and just did c.LMHSHS, sj.MMHS and got 400K. -_-

As a Raccoon main, I feel your pain. The only time I get that much meterless is with boulder loops -.-

Speaking of them, it only took me half a year, but I can finally do 3-6 boulder loops kinda consistently :D

Uh, I think it's a midscreen combo. I think if you're in the corner, you have to zip straight down and do different things. But I'm not always going to have them in the corner, so I mainly worked on midscreen, and when I couldn't get it, I dropped him. Not really interested in using Spencer any more, though.... >_>

start basic with spencer, then get fancy. here are some easy combos that you can probably modify to max out meter gain or damage. i just do these because theyre not too hard to drop.

midscreen bnb no assist:

LMHS, MHS, (before landing) OTG grapple M, zip down/forward, S, MMH, zip forward x3, S, TK bionic bomber xx bionic arm
i think this is like a 730k ish combo

if you have an otg assist like wesker you do something like this midscreen:

LMHS, MMHS, dash + otg assist, MH xx up grapple (L followup), dash, tk otg grapple M, zip down, armor piercer, bionic arm/manuevers

corner bnb no assist:
LMHS, MMHS, (before landing) bionic bomber, MHS xx sjc upgrapple H xx bionic manuevers, otg grapple H, zip down/forward, zip down/back, upgrapple H xx bionic manuevers, otg grapple H
does 1mil+
OR an easier version for about 800k (kind of low for a corner combo though):
LMHS, MMHS, (before landing) bionic bomber xx bionic manuevers, otg H, delayed air S, armor piercer xx bionic manuevers

Karsticles said:
Don't feel bad about it. The game is about having fun, nothing more. If character difficulty mattered, we'd all be Chun-li, Shuma-Gorath, Morrigan, and Jill mains. As long as you like who you play, that's all that matters. I also think Spencer is a lot of fun to play, and BIONIC AAAAARM is just as satisfying to hear today as it was on release. You could have a character that's easy as hell to play and boring to boot. ;-)

thanks karst. i just got frustrated with this game lately; i gave up on wanting to learn anyone new and just went mindlessly into player matches with hulk/sentinel/hawkeye. finally went back and played some AE and downloaded final fantasy vi in order to take a break.

Have you ever tried Mystic Ray or Hidden Missiles with Wright? I was thinking about a Wright team of Shuma-Gorath / Wright / Taskmaster. Shuma-Gorath can TAC glitch Wright in.

In all honesty I don't really think Shuma-Gorath goes to well with Wright. Don't get me wrong a full screen beam assist is great for Wright and buys him a little time to get situated. Other than that though I don't see too much synergy going on. In all of my Wright time I have learned to not rely on Air Exchange Objections only. Your opponent will expect it and just wait for you to switch your character and open up your incomming character easily.

As for Taskmaster I have breifly tried him on my team in replacement of Wesker. While Tasky is most defenitly effective in assits and DHC synergy I still prefer other characters. He definitively does help. I don't like the reduced damage I was getting though without the OTG assist.

The only other thing I think Wright needs other than a get off me assist is a low hitting assit. When Wright is in Tournabout mode the man has little to no mix ups. But when you add an assit like Weskers gun shot into the mix it can be very hard to block the low hit and a jumping finger point.

Characters IMO that work well with Wright

Dante: Jam Sessions is the best assist for Wright. Covers to the top of the screen and also equals as a great get off me while buying a good chunk of time to grab evidence. Dante also DHC's wonderfully for Wright in almost any situation. Another awesome thing is during a team hyper combo Dante's million dollars buys enogh time to gather three or four pieces of evidence and wave dash up to land an Objection before the hyper ends.

Hulk: This is my preferred choice. Hulk anti air assist is a great defensive tool. Like you said though it does not open up for combos but it does it through a lot of moves and some hypers. This assist always buys enough time for a single piece of evidence. Since the assist is also pretty fast in recovery. It is possible to throw out Hulk and while the opponent is blocking or being hit throw out Maya shield by the time the shield is up and about to be drained you can throw another Hulk assist in and repeat the process. This wall is very hard to penetrate. Also Hulk IMO has great synergy with wright. Gamma crush into Maya hyper lands for some great damage and an easy Objection. Hulks alpha counter is also great in getting Wright out as it has a good amount of invincibility to it. It also always helps to have a high health character when maining Wright because he can get hit pretty bad.

I also think Wright works wonders for Hulk too. Missile assist is hulks best friend. He is a full screen low hitting attack that sets up for easy unblockables with Hulks attacks. Missile also lets Hulk combo after a command grab. Command grab throw out Missile then Gamma Charge H and launch. Break the witness is good too if you can pin the opponent down but that is kinda hard to do with Hulk.

Haggar: Lariat. Works wonders. Great defensive tool and even better lands brain dead objections. Good DHC synergy too.

Doom: Hidden Missiles lol

Wesker: Gun shot works great in extending combos and giving Wright some mix up potential he so desperately needs. Wright can't do that much damage in investigation mode but an OTG assist makes it respectable. Not much else really going for him other than that but I think the quick hitting low hit makes Wesker worth it.

She Hulk: I don't use her but I know a lot of people have tried this pairing with decent results. OTG definitely helps I'm sure. Theres probably some decent synergy too.

Frank: Shopping cart is great. High durability and pushes the opponent away. There's some pretty good synergy to boot to in DHC and what not. I haven't played with them that much because I don't think it's a good idea to have two power up characters on the same team.

Thats my two cents on character team ideas. I run Wright/Hulk/Wesker. I always preferred Wright as a on point character. I totally get why people put him second. I do. Safer start and using DHC's to bring him in and get evidence. I also think that if you can't get evidence using basic wright and knowing when and not to search for it is key. If you can't use Investigation Wright and do anything whats going to stop your opponent from just snapping you in and taking you out in a milla second. I know my team isn't perfect there are some definite flaws. Good Vergils, Dormammus, Hawkeye and Zoning teams can eat me alive. But if I can't deal with that then it's already game over.

Dear God I typed way too much without noticing. LOL

Solune

thanks karst. i just got frustrated with this game lately; i gave up on wanting to learn anyone new and just went mindlessly into player matches with hulk/sentinel/hawkeye. finally went back and played some AE and downloaded final fantasy vi in order to take a break.
I know that frustration, I look at all the tech vids people put out and here I am just grinding away optimized combos. It's why I've been putting alot of time into Vergil lately and trying to come up with new stuff.

Haha , that's the way Marvel is! There's so much analysis you can't contain it with a simple one liner. Good stuff with Wright, I still want to make a team with him too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm really not seeing what Akuma offers the team aside from having the triple beam DHC, which you seem to like. Most of the time the tatsu was running out of juice by the time you needed it to be doing its jobs. Iron Man and Nova both have kind of slow air dashes, so I feel like the tatsu is limited in applicability. I think he really needs full-screen coverage.

I also feel like your Iron Man is really linear, and he should play the zoning game a lot more. It's his strength to be mid-screen from an opponent and wear him down through c.H canceled into Repulsor Blast and Unibeam. If you were on the PS3, I'd play Iron Man against you just so I could figure him out with you more.

These are the characters that I think work best with Iron Man:
Dr. Strange (Bolts of Balthakk) - Bolts gives you a way in and is amazing for keepaway. Good DHC synergy. Unibeam is Dr. Strange's best assist because if he can get a standing Impact Palm against an opponent, two Graces of Hoggoth M alone do 400K damage, and he hasn't even started jump loops yet.

Sentinel (Sentinel Force) - the DHC doesn't work so well, but Iron Man is really good at protecting this assist. Both Iron Man and Nova's best way of opening players up is to get up close and then do a sj canceled into a downward dash of j.L, c.L, sometimes doing multiple j.Ls before the c.L to mess with your opponent's head. That means you need something to pin your opponent down to get that mix-up.

Zero (Hadangeki) - There is no better assist in this game for Zero than Unibeam, IMO. He's one of the few "teleporters" that can't get combos easily off of EM Disruptor, but he can off of Unibeam. I honestly think Zero backed by Iron Man is one of the most slept on combinations in this game. You don't need to do lightning loops to play Zero. Just do a basic MMHS and depend on mix-ups, and you'll be surprised at how well you do.

I also think it's worth considering Taskmaster/Hawkeye, Storm, Spencer, Trish, Amaterasu, and any teleporter. If I made an Iron Man team, it would definitely be Zero/Iron Man/Sentinel, though.
Just wanna say thanks for the writeup. I'll consider a Sentinel team but ugh I don't like Sentinel. Don't really like playing many of those characters though. Like I said, it's a process. Nova isn't hammered down in my team either, I'm just having a fling with him right now on my team. I use Tatsu primarily as a "GTFO" assist though, not a combo extender. Might Try Taskmaster, been fiddling with Spencer recently too. I flirt too much with characters D:

Good games to Biz! I'm learning a lot about spacing and assist calling.

Beam assist from Doom is kinda helping... Hmmmm...

Sidenote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dPmf1GHHOoU#!

UMvC3 - The Ultimate Phoenix Wright Tutorial

Really well made tutorial to PW. Dude put a lot of effort into it... give some love to the creator, GAF!
Whoa, I just learned a million different things about PW o_O

This was incredibly well done and produced. PW actually some incredibly cheap stuff that could be exploitable. DAT TOD ON THOR.

Okay that was hype.

I guess since we're Pimpin' Sasa for being one of the only Spidey mains out there I'll post this in hopes that he trolls someone here with this combo on their last character.

Spiderman x-factor combos are hilariously troll-tier
Oh hey someone figured out how to wallbounce with Akuma.

How it happened is in the description

I wonder if this trick is useful for anything? Maybe as a tool for other characters if its universal. Anyone got any ideas?

Also Spidey/Thor/Arthur team combos for something different to enjoy
That's how I see the Iron Fist team, too.

This also got posted in the Thor thread crimson was talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVopIud6v0o&feature=related

New to me, at least.

Guys like this would really upset American tier lists:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNFlKGBSX9A&feature=player_embedded
All of this is super cool. Was watching that last video yesterday. I hope both of these guys come to EVO. There's this weird inconsistency in play from these guys though, probably as a result of their super safe nature of play.

shaowebb

Ya know I think I'm so used to calling an assist and then dashing forward after snaps or character kills for an Iron Fist mixup attempt that it didn't even occur to me why I hadn't been suffering to teleport vergil's yet. I was already doing what Karsticles suggested and calling Arthur's daggers for Iron Fist then dashing up. I kept rocking it forward though fishing to get them into the corner with Iron Fist pressure to land a hit, but if they were teleporting to avoid me they got mixed up by the daggers.

Didn't even plan for that I was just rushing in lol. This is why I love the positioning Iron Fist's wave dash has with Arthur daggers. He is precisely inside the middle of the center dagger with one in the front and one in the back. So safe.

I'm figuring out some cool Rocket Raccoon tech, and I just know I'm gonna be the next Karst and alternate between states of OMG tech and disillusionment with my team.

lol

What've you got so far? I've been more focused on trying to actually be able to do his loops rather than figuring out tech these days.

JFC doing boulder loops on the opposite side of the screen confuses my hands so bad x__x

lol

What've you got so far? I've been more focused on trying to actually be able to do his loops rather than figuring out tech these days.

JFC doing boulder loops on the opposite side of the screen confuses my hands so bad x__x

Mostly just ways of using his unique movement options to keep up pressure while staying safe. I have no Raccoon combos other than basic stuff. I'm using the claptrap as a poke because you can do towards H after, and it has a massive hitbox. I heard the rock trap hits overhead? You can also get a lot of weird setups by canceling stuff into the trap hyper.

Ya know I think I'm so used to calling an assist and then dashing forward after snaps or character kills for an Iron Fist mixup attempt that it didn't even occur to me why I hadn't been suffering to teleport vergil's yet. I was already doing what Karsticles suggested and calling Arthur's daggers for Iron Fist then dashing up. I kept rocking it forward though fishing to get them into the corner with Iron Fist pressure to land a hit, but if they were teleporting to avoid me they got mixed up by the daggers.

Didn't even plan for that I was just rushing in lol. This is why I love the positioning Iron Fist's wave dash has with Arthur daggers. He is precisely inside the middle of the center dagger with one in the front and one in the back. So safe.
Haha, there you go!

I've been thinking about Iron Fist, and my thought is to combine him with a projectile assist character that can get full combos from his "get off me" assist. The most obvious candidate is Hawkeye, which gives Iron Fist a good assist too. I'm undecided on a third, but am thinking about Arthur or Chris. Arthur can't get full combos, but he's an excellent assist for Iron Fist. I'm not sure if Chris gets full combos, since Iron Fist uses up your wall bounce.

Just wanna say thanks for the writeup. I'll consider a Sentinel team but ugh I don't like Sentinel. Don't really like playing many of those characters though. Like I said, it's a process. Nova isn't hammered down in my team either, I'm just having a fling with him right now on my team. I use Tatsu primarily as a "GTFO" assist though, not a combo extender. Might Try Taskmaster, been fiddling with Spencer recently too. I flirt too much with characters D:
You are most welcome. I was talking more about your characters getting in. It seems like the tatsu isn't doing its job for your characters. Thinking about it more, Iron Man's great virtue is that, thanks to Repulsor Blast x Spread, he's really good at protecting assists. I think it's worth your time to pair him with assists that are normally vulnerable. That's why Sentinel works well with him. I think Hidden Missiles and Vajra could also work with your team, but Vajra only if you're confident that you can OTG into full combos with your characters (people who use Vajra without self OTGs are becoming a pet peeve of mine). Phoenix Wright is an interesting idea, but the game actually has a lack of strong assists that are also worth protecting.

I know that frustration, I look at all the tech vids people put out and here I am just grinding away optimized combos. It's why I've been putting alot of time into Vergil lately and trying to come up with new stuff.
I mix discovery with optimization. I'm pretty confident that I optimized my Firebrand combo today, since it uses both assists, gets 410K without meter (that's huge for Firebrand), and builds 1.5 bars.

In all honesty I don't really think Shuma-Gorath goes to well with Wright. Don't get me wrong a full screen beam assist is great for Wright and buys him a little time to get situated. Other than that though I don't see too much synergy going on. In all of my Wright time I have learned to not rely on Air Exchange Objections only. Your opponent will expect it and just wait for you to switch your character and open up your incomming character easily.

As for Taskmaster I have breifly tried him on my team in replacement of Wesker. While Tasky is most defenitly effective in assits and DHC synergy I still prefer other characters. He definitively does help. I don't like the reduced damage I was getting though without the OTG assist.

The only other thing I think Wright needs other than a get off me assist is a low hitting assit. When Wright is in Tournabout mode the man has little to no mix ups. But when you add an assit like Weskers gun shot into the mix it can be very hard to block the low hit and a jumping finger point.

Characters IMO that work well with Wright

Dante: Jam Sessions is the best assist for Wright. Covers to the top of the screen and also equals as a great get off me while buying a good chunk of time to grab evidence. Dante also DHC's wonderfully for Wright in almost any situation. Another awesome thing is during a team hyper combo Dante's million dollars buys enogh time to gather three or four pieces of evidence and wave dash up to land an Objection before the hyper ends.

Hulk: This is my preferred choice. Hulk anti air assist is a great defensive tool. Like you said though it does not open up for combos but it does it through a lot of moves and some hypers. This assist always buys enough time for a single piece of evidence. Since the assist is also pretty fast in recovery. It is possible to throw out Hulk and while the opponent is blocking or being hit throw out Maya shield by the time the shield is up and about to be drained you can throw another Hulk assist in and repeat the process. This wall is very hard to penetrate. Also Hulk IMO has great synergy with wright. Gamma crush into Maya hyper lands for some great damage and an easy Objection. Hulks alpha counter is also great in getting Wright out as it has a good amount of invincibility to it. It also always helps to have a high health character when maining Wright because he can get hit pretty bad.

I also think Wright works wonders for Hulk too. Missile assist is hulks best friend. He is a full screen low hitting attack that sets up for easy unblockables with Hulks attacks. Missile also lets Hulk combo after a command grab. Command grab throw out Missile then Gamma Charge H and launch. Break the witness is good too if you can pin the opponent down but that is kinda hard to do with Hulk.

Haggar: Lariat. Works wonders. Great defensive tool and even better lands brain dead objections. Good DHC synergy too.

Doom: Hidden Missiles lol

Wesker: Gun shot works great in extending combos and giving Wright some mix up potential he so desperately needs. Wright can't do that much damage in investigation mode but an OTG assist makes it respectable. Not much else really going for him other than that but I think the quick hitting low hit makes Wesker worth it.

She Hulk: I don't use her but I know a lot of people have tried this pairing with decent results. OTG definitely helps I'm sure. Theres probably some decent synergy too.

Frank: Shopping cart is great. High durability and pushes the opponent away. There's some pretty good synergy to boot to in DHC and what not. I haven't played with them that much because I don't think it's a good idea to have two power up characters on the same team.

Thats my two cents on character team ideas. I run Wright/Hulk/Wesker. I always preferred Wright as a on point character. I totally get why people put him second. I do. Safer start and using DHC's to bring him in and get evidence. I also think that if you can't get evidence using basic wright and knowing when and not to search for it is key. If you can't use Investigation Wright and do anything whats going to stop your opponent from just snapping you in and taking you out in a milla second. I know my team isn't perfect there are some definite flaws. Good Vergils, Dormammus, Hawkeye and Zoning teams can eat me alive. But if I can't deal with that then it's already game over.

That wasn't too much at all. I love in-depth posts and discussions. I noticed that when I swapped to Doom on point, Wright had a hell of a time getting anything done. That barrier was annoying the hell out of me with Spencer. I had you in combos so many times and the barrier would appear mid-way and interrupt, and then you'd get a combo on me. -_- Every time that barrier went down to Plasma Beam + Bolts of Balthakk I had a moment of rejoice on my end. The one or two matches I completely killed Wright this way filled me with glee. I know everyone says Wright is low tier, but I have a hell of a time against him. All of this is great for when I eventually make my Wright team.

Does Missile make Gamma Charge safe if you call it beforehand?

It's not bad to take a break sometimes. Marvel will always draw you back. :)

As a Raccoon main, I feel your pain. The only time I get that much meterless is with boulder loops -.-

Speaking of them, it only took me half a year, but I can finally do 3-6 boulder loops kinda consistently :D
Raccoon can at least do something basic into a hyper if he wants. :p Too bad we can't play. I really wish the big three would kiss and make up and have cross-console play.

I'm figuring out some cool Rocket Raccoon tech, and I just know I'm gonna be the next Karst and alternate between states of OMG tech and disillusionment with my team.
LOL WHAT? More like I was the next God's Beard. You're the OG of that tango sir! Perhaps you've forgotten your days of posting about Thor? ;-) I'm 100% settled on my team. Very happy with it now that I can ToD anything with Firebrand. That was the team's big problem. I also found 2 ways to get Firebrand in easy, so that problem is gone.

Azure J

You and me both with the optimized stuff. I'd kill to feel confident in my execution during matches, because then I'd feel more willing to style out somewhat, but as that's not how it goes, I just stick to the stuff that's worked thus far and kinda don't progress much beyond that. It's one of the reasons why I was inspired to try making the little video series because on top of being informative for people who might take things I put in them further, it would hopefully inspire me to play with things until they worked.

On another note, I'm beginning to think about ending more of my Dante combos in (Hard Knockdown) - Devil Trigger - Fly - Thunderbolt x N.

Ok, so with the claptrap, you can hitconfirm with Raccoon from more than 3/4ths screen with dash 6H. So godlike. I also have a relaunch that doesn't use up my ground bounce with Magneto's hyper grav assist :D

LOL WHAT? More like I was the next God's Beard. You're the OG of that tango sir! Perhaps you've forgotten your days of posting about Thor? ;-) I'm 100% settled on my team. Very happy with it now that I can ToD anything with Firebrand. That was the team's big problem. I also found 2 ways to get Firebrand in easy, so that problem is gone.

Yeah but I change characters due to excitement not depression :)

That said, I'm settled as well. No time to learn fancy characters like Vergil and Zero. I think I'll take Rocket Raccoon to Southtown this weekend ^_^

Also, I'm done with maxed out hitstun combos. After 3 years, I'm finally gonna learn real hitconfirms :) No more stubborn "I can hit confirm RH xx EX MGB off of Dudley's overhead 100% of the time" GB.

@Karst
Hahaha, true true, I guess that's still more than what Chun has xD

Mostly just ways of using his unique movement options to keep up pressure while staying safe. I have no Raccoon combos other than basic stuff. I'm using the claptrap as a poke because you can do towards H after, and it has a massive hitbox. I heard the rock trap hits overhead? You can also get a lot of weird setups by canceling stuff into the trap hyper.

Yup, the boulder trap is overhead, gives him a solo unblockable (although without a lockdown assist it's very escapable obviously), it loops, is the fastest of his traps, and it OTGs (which is totally pointless for it tbh).

The trap hyper is something every Raccoon player needs to learn to use. It makes pretty much everything safe.

Azure J

(people who use Vajra without self OTGs are becoming a pet peeve of mine)

To be honest, I kinda hate Amaterasu with Strider assist currently because I can't convert glaive drop into anything more than Chop - Shuffle. Thing is I know there's extensions there, MarlinPie does it so fast it looks like nothing, but everywhere I go, I have yet to see a transcript of what folks do to get that series after a hard knockdown. Shit sucks and also goes back to my lack of confidence in my execution. I can feel things out but one extra hit for no followup (from a potential full combo) versus guaranteed damage at the cost of a meter... Which would you choose?

To be honest, I kinda hate Amaterasu with Strider assist currently because I can't convert glaive drop into anything more than Chop - Shuffle. Thing is I know there's extensions there, MarlinPie does it so fast it looks like nothing, but everywhere I go, I have yet to see a transcript of what folks do to get that series after a hard knockdown.

Same here, that and my sucky Strider made me drop the team with them quickly :/

@Karst
Hahaha, true true, I guess that's still more than what Chun has xD

Yup, the boulder trap is overhead, gives him a solo unblockable (although without a lockdown assist it's very escapable obviously), it loops, is the fastest of his traps, and it OTGs (which is totally pointless for it tbh).

The trap hyper is something every Raccoon player needs to learn to use. It makes pretty much everything safe.

My setup for incoming characters is log trap xx trap hyper, boulder trap dash 2L

Azure J

Same here, that and my sucky Strider made me drop the team with them quickly :/

One thing though, I have begun playing with setting something up after a hard knockdown. I haven't labbed it out yet, but I'm wondering if meaty paper could lead to anything of note on block or hit. I tried setting up another air grab trap with the computer on all block and jump to see if the block stun was high enough to go grab them from if they attempted wake up upback. Nothing consistent came from that, but I feel like there's potential there if I can fully convert into a glaive/weapon switch combo off a Vajira.

Dahbomb

We are going to see new tech in the up coming days leading up to EVO. Same thing happened last year with discovery of some anti-Phoenix tech most importantly the one involving Spider Man. It wasn't used much at EVO but the point is that this is the period where a lot of people are going to hunker down with the game and basically optimize their tech and possibly find new stuff. FChamp has already learned from his mistakes (or at least he has claimed) and is switching up some assists/characters to deal with particular teams/characters.

GatorBait

getting a grip of this game is so hard. I'd call myself above average at Street Fighter (especially ST) but this game, maaaaan I just get blown up on the daily. any tips that I should consider when coming from SF to this?

edit: i had vanilla mvc3 but never got into it. just got umvc3 a few days ago. I would consider myself decent at mvc2, but this game seems to be a completely different beast.

What system do you have it on? It would be nice if we could get together some low-to-medium level Gaffers together online regularly to help each other level our games up, give feedback on each other, and continue to push each other to get better. Personally, I'm on PS3.

So basically, I can't emphasize enough how good Mr.Flapper is. I really, really think it's the crux of how the next generation of Rocket Raccoon will be used. recovers in 8 frames, +22 ON BLOCK and it covers the bottom half of 3/4th of the screen. It is going to shred most rushdown characters that don't have teleports, and out-prioritize heavies. Against zoning characters, well, he has a teleport and a 4-frame normal.

anti-Phoenix tech most importantly the one involving Spider Man. It wasn't used much at EVO
I saw Killa Sasa do it ^_^

Welp, looks like 6 loops is my limit. I forgot, can you get more than that?

Edit: Holy crap I think I just did 9 (launcher->jM->S->otg->loop though)

PS3 set back up, ready for the weekend. Any of you around this weekend?
I'll be around. I'll probably be using Hsien-ko or Chun-li.

Yeah but I change characters due to excitement not depression :)
Well, you got me there...

That said, I'm settled as well. No time to learn fancy characters like Vergil and Zero. I think I'll take Rocket Raccoon to Southtown this weekend ^_^
So your permanent team is Magneto/Sentinel/RR?

Also, I'm done with maxed out hitstun combos. After 3 years, I'm finally gonna learn real hitconfirms :) No more stubborn "I can hit confirm RH xx EX MGB off of Dudley's overhead 100% of the time" GB.
Good for you!

To be honest, I kinda hate Amaterasu with Strider assist currently because I can't convert glaive drop into anything more than Chop - Shuffle. Thing is I know there's extensions there, MarlinPie does it so fast it looks like nothing, but everywhere I go, I have yet to see a transcript of what folks do to get that series after a hard knockdown. Shit sucks and also goes back to my lack of confidence in my execution. I can feel things out but one extra hit for no followup (from a potential full combo) versus guaranteed damage at the cost of a meter... Which would you choose?
It's hard to convert off of Vajra for Amaterasu because you have to already be in Glaive and she's not a super fast mover, and she isn't really creating the kind of environment where someone is going to get hit by it a lot. IMO, unless burning meter will kill the character, go for the combo. Okami Shuffle doesn't do really impressive damage for the meter as it is, and I don't think it's worthwhile to go blowing it on small damage here or there unless she's your last character against another last character.

We are going to see new tech in the up coming days leading up to EVO. Same thing happened last year with discovery of some anti-Phoenix tech most importantly the one involving Spider Man. It wasn't used much at EVO but the point is that this is the period where a lot of people are going to hunker down with the game and basically optimize their tech and possibly find new stuff. FChamp has already learned from his mistakes (or at least he has claimed) and is switching up some assists/characters to deal with particular teams/characters.
I am ready.

What system do you have it on? It would be nice if we could get together some low-to-medium level Gaffers together online regularly to help each other level our games up, give feedback on each other, and continue to push each other to get better. Personally, I'm on PS3.
Have we ever played? We really need one of those google documents that we can all just add our info to. Everyone should be on everyone's list here. I'll start one up today.

So basically, I can't emphasize enough how good Mr.Flapper is. I really, really think it's the crux of how the next generation of Rocket Raccoon will be used. recovers in 8 frames, +22 ON BLOCK and it covers the bottom half of 3/4th of the screen. It is going to shred most rushdown characters that don't have teleports, and out-prioritize heavies. Against zoning characters, well, he has a teleport and a 4-frame normal.
He also has 750K health and is awkward. MODOK has been at least high tier since Vanilla, people just don't want to use difficult/awkward characters. Everyone wants to spam teleports, tridashes, and ziplines.

Welp, looks like 6 loops is my limit. I forgot, can you get more than that?

Edit: Holy crap I think I just did 9 (launcher->jM->S->otg->loop though)
Isn't it an infinite?

HSD makes sure it isn't.

For example, in IOH jL, jM, jM, jS, M, H, S, jM, jS, dp+M, (SxxTK'd qcb+A, dash)xN the maximum number N can be before HSD kicks in and the opponent flips out in midair is 8.

...Damn, before today I never would've expected I'd be able to do this well enough to check when the thing scales so much that the opponent flips out of the combo.

He also has 750K health and is awkward. MODOK has been at least high tier since Vanilla, people just don't want to use difficult/awkward characters. Everyone wants to spam teleports, tridashes, and ziplines.

Well, he's got 2 out of those 3! Kinda xD

So your permanent team is Magneto/Sentinel/RR?

Yessir. Magneto is my boy, gotta stick him up front. I just decided to play him on point like he's anchored, that is, extremely safe and constant movement instead of getting too obsessed with drones. That and punishing the FUCK out of assists.

His health isn't so big a deal because a lot of BnBs don't work on him, making him effectively higher health than a lot of characters. He just can't one-shot anybody without serious commitment, which is probably a much worse issue for an anchor character.

JeTmAn81

One thing though, I have begun playing with setting something up after a hard knockdown. I haven't labbed it out yet, but I'm wondering if meaty paper could lead to anything of note on block or hit. I tried setting up another air grab trap with the computer on all block and jump to see if the block stun was high enough to go grab them from if they attempted wake up upback. Nothing consistent came from that, but I feel like there's potential there if I can fully convert into a glaive/weapon switch combo off a Vajira.

Spare yourself some grief and just run Strider second. He's got to be godlike with that Cold Star lockdown. Check Clockw0rk's play for reference.

It does when he's so easy to kill in a happy birthday from full health with just one bar and no xfactor :|

But I've got Magneto to protect him ^_^

Log trap is also one of the best assists for getting happy birthdays in the game. It's a damn broom, sweeps everybody together for nice easy confirm. Scales hitstun to fuck though.

Azure J

Spare yourself some grief and just run Strider second. He's got to be godlike with that Cold Star lockdown. Check Clockw0rk's play for reference.

Most times, I DHC from Amaterasu into Strider and abuse the shots while I can. It's just that I play a massively better Strider anchor than I do an Amaterasu anchor. :lol

GatorBait

Have we ever played? We really need one of those google documents that we can all just add our info to. Everyone should be on everyone's list here. I'll start one up today.

Nope, I don't believe so. I just picked up the game again after a couple month hiatus. I'm really rather sub-par at this game at the moment, so I have tended to shy away from playing those in this thread since I assume they are leagues better than I.

Love the idea of a Google doc though. You should set up the spreadsheet so that it also includes the region the person is in and what days/times they can typically play. Could be a great way to get regular games going between Gaffers.

Nope, I don't believe so. I just picked up the game again after a couple month hiatus. I'm really rather sub-par at this game at the moment, so I have tended to shy away from playing those in this thread since I assume they are leagues better than I.

Love the idea of a Google doc though. You should set up the spreadsheet so that it also includes the region the person is in and what days/times they can typically play. Could be a great way to get regular games going between Gaffers.
Personally, I don't care how good my opponent is as long as the connection is good. Remember, I'm trying to learn 3 new characters right now - I could use a "sub-par" opponent! The only person I stopped playing against was this random Zero that was so aggressive I couldn't do anything, haha. I need space to figure my crap out.

HSD makes sure it isn't.

For example, in IOH jL, jM, jM, jS, M, H, S, jM, jS, dp+M, (SxxTK'd qcb+A, dash)xN the maximum number N can be before HSD kicks in and the opponent flips out in midair is 8.

...Damn, before today I never would've expected I'd be able to do this well enough to check when the thing scales so much that the opponent flips out of the combo.
Can you do it in a match? ;-) And some combos bypass HSD. Some moves don't add to the HSD counter at all.

Yessir. Magneto is my boy, gotta stick him up front. I just decided to play him on point like he's anchored, that is, extremely safe and constant movement instead of getting too obsessed with drones. That and punishing the FUCK out of assists.
Great!

But I've got Magneto to protect him ^_^

Log trap is also one of the best assists for getting happy birthdays in the game. It's a damn broom, sweeps everybody together for nice easy confirm. Scales hitstun to fuck though.
We'll have to engage in a battle of log traps once I figure out the chunners team.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I made this up real quick - everyone with the link should be able to edit it. It's my first time using Google Docs like this, so let me know if there's a problem. Add your name alphabetically by GAF username for ease of perusal.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah4zxqcb0_eodHZraDVlaUVPTGlXYW15VlljNWFwQUE#gid=0
dat PSN bias

There was an idea for this a while ago in Marvel threads and I thought it wouldn't work out, but I've warmed up to it since, and if this gets going I'll add it to OP.

Can you do it in a match? ;-) And some combos bypass HSD. Some moves don't add to the HSD counter at all.

Well, guess we'll have to wait until Saturday to find out 'cause I sure as hell am not trying that online :p

Still, it's not like any of that was impractical, so it's only a matter of me actually getting a hit in, not choking, and not having my stick's position (on my lap instead of my bed) mess up my hands :|

And sure, some combos do that, but not this one that's for sure. I tried it already.

Oops, looks like you forgot the field "Xbox Usernames". lol
Check the tabs at the bottom gentlemen. There's one tab for PSN and one for XBL. I just put them in alphabetical order. I love alphabetical order for sorting things. I thought about putting PSN and XBL on the same page, but it would just mean more scrolling for everyone. I figured that I might as well give XBL its own separate page.

dat PSN bias

There was an idea for this a while ago in Marvel threads and I thought it wouldn't work out, but I've warmed up to it since, and if this gets going I'll add it to OP.
Backwards logic sir, put it in the OP and help me get it going!

Well, guess we'll have to wait until Saturday to find out 'cause I sure as hell am not trying that online :p

Still, it's not like any of that was impractical, so it's only a matter of me actually getting a hit in, not choking, and not having my stick's position (on my lap instead of my bed) mess up my hands :|

And sure, some combos do that, but not this one that's for sure. I tried it already.
Isn't it just launch to a TK motion over and over?

Anyway, for Ghost Rider I'm thinking about:
Ghost Rider/Dante (Jam Session)/Felicia (Rolling Buckler)

Chun-li I feel settled on:
Chun-li/Frank West/Rocket Raccoon

Iron Fist looking toward:
Chris/Iron Fist/Hawkeye

Isn't it just launch to a TK motion over and over?

(launch xx TK boulder trap ->dash)xN

I'm guessing the launch is what slowly makes the combo escapable, because for once it wasn't my execution that dropped the combo when I was trying to find out how many reps I could do, the character flipped out and avoided the falling rock.

Still, depending on the starter for the combo it can get you almost 800k at max reps. That's not bad at all for a single bar.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Check the tabs at the bottom gentlemen. There's one tab for PSN and one for XBL. I just put them in alphabetical order. I love alphabetical order for sorting things. I thought about putting PSN and XBL on the same page, but it would just mean more scrolling for everyone. I figured that I might as well give XBL its own separate page.
Wouldn't it just make sense to have them both on the same page, especially for people who own both consoles? Then you could easily just sort by each column (if you can do that, I'm not sure if you can in Google Docs).

Also, Final update to Curleh Mustache West Coast Edition Invites:

MAIN EVENTS:

PR BALROG vs KNIVES FT 7
More to be announced!

FINAL PLAYER LIST:

WASHINGTON
Rattana
Rowtron
Truking
Stark

CALIFORNIA [NOR CAL]
Ricky Ortiz
PR Balrog
F.Champ
Chunksta
Cj Showstopper
Dacid Bro
Mine
Xray
chrisis
Windzero
gc yoshi
honzo gonzo
Bronson Tran
Hi im Nasty
Drew Grimey
shady k
padtrick
Falcomist
Kbeast
Crispytacos
Snakedux
TastyLumpia

CALIFORNIA [SO CAL]
Justin Wong
Floe
Combofiend
Fanatiq
Knives
Richard nguyen
Tatsu
Andy Ocr
Tapebot
ClockWork
wentinel
Airtola
Y2j
Infrit
Royal Flush
Killer Kai
Upa
Dash
Pgorath
Marn
LLND
Neo
NoahTheProdigy
DJ Divine
Taylor The Kid

CALIFORNIA [San Diego]
Viscant
Dios X
Tokikko
MrCertified
Crisco
unprotectedSEX
Call2Arms

NEVADA
Ruin

ARIZONA
Angelic
Spiteful
Forward

SPECIAL GUESTS FROM AUSTRALIA
Antman
Somniac

Wouldn't it just make sense to have them both on the same page, especially for people who own both consoles? Then you could easily just sort by each column (if you can do that, I'm not sure if you can in Google Docs)
If you want to reorganize it, you're welcome to. I just made it so it would be there.

Edit: I didn't follow your suggestion entirely when I read it at first. Good idea. I implemented the change and moved your info over. I also removed the borders around the headings because Google Docs is weird and messes them up when you create new lines.

shaowebb

It feels good in here right now.

• I'm grinding out Arthur/Iron Fist stuff.
  • God's Beard is jamming away at unlocking more potential from Rocket Raccoon
  • Karsticles is trying to come up with something using Chun/Frank after making a good Hsien-ko team and keeps brainstorming Iron Fist stuff
  • Azure is still trying to find different ways to make Dante use his specials in new ways to help youtubers jerk off with their eyes
  • Enzo is grinding out Ironman with different stuff

...and everyone else is busy grinding out their own faves as well.

Pre-EVO is always so hype. Everyone working to surprise the world with something new. God I love this time of year.

EDIT: Also to Karsticles. I thought of using Hawkeye and he is likely a better choice than Taskmaster for the stuff I'm doing, but I knew Taskmaster combos already so I went with him for similar arrows instead. Besides I know his game enough already to improvise with him because I used him off and on a lot in vanilla. I still haven't played much Ultimate yet outside of Iron Fist and Ryu and I'm done with pairing Ryu with Iron Fist. I like doubling up on zone coverage better for him. When you're done with Chun someday I'd be interested in seeing what you do with Iron Fist.

For now, I'm learning how to use my current team to bait out guys into mixups through footsies and careful assist calls. Rushing in like mad and fishing for overheads gets predictable after awhile and my only real low is a rekka that people look for. Iron Fist is scary if I can corner you just doing something like that, but expanding his tricks is better. Besides I'm used to reading people from defensive Ryu play in Vanilla. Difference is now I actually have options on what to do to open people up when I notice patterns. Back dashing with Iron Fist to bait out zoning and then crushing it with daggers seems to be sending guys into frenzies. They start teleporting like crazy or calling assists hoping to confirm stuff after that and fishing for helm breakers, hammers, and jump guns. Now to setup some responses to this reaction. Taskmaster's chill with this and Arthur is too, but I'd like more than assist+ dash up with Iron Fist. Think I'll try fishing the skies for throws or seeing if I can bait out a lvl 3 on a teleport sometime.

Depending on what I can figure out, I might even put Rocket Raccoon on point and do Rocket/Magneto/Sentinel. I think I can do an easy corner carry into 1 million damage for two bars, which is a prerequisite for my point characters. I'm almost certain that I can reorganize my team back into Magneto/Sentinel/Raccoon with one TAC and a DHC and get a kill.

This is new to me: does Ice Storm really only hit in front of Storm?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UxBpr-gAwgQ

At the 1 minute mark. Easy kill for teleporters if true.

It feels good in here right now.

• I'm grinding out Arthur/Iron Fist stuff.
  • God's Beard is jamming away at unlocking more potential from Rocket Raccoon
  • Karsticles is trying to come up with something using Chun/Frank after making a good Hsien-ko team and keeps brainstorming Iron Fist stuff
  • Azure is still trying to find different ways to make Dante use his specials in new ways to help youtubers jerk off with their eyes
  • Enzo is grinding out Ironman with different stuff

...and everyone else is busy grinding out their own faves as well.

Pre-EVO is always so hype. Everyone working to surprise the world with something new. God I love this time of year.
Yeah, I love all of our activity lately.

EDIT: Also to Karsticles. I thought of using Hawkeye and he is likely a better choice than Taskmaster for the stuff I'm doing, but I knew Taskmaster combos already so I went with him for similar arrows instead. Besides I know his game enough already to improvise with him because I used him off and on a lot in vanilla. I still haven't played much Ultimate yet outside of Iron Fist and Ryu and I'm done with pairing Ryu with Iron Fist. I like doubling up on zone coverage better for him. When you're done with Chun someday I'd be interested in seeing what you do with Iron Fist.
I'm pretty certain that Hawkeye > Taskmaster for your team, but I'll let you know for certain when I pick up Hawkeye.

For now, I'm learning how to use my current team to bait out guys into mixups through footsies and careful assist calls. Rushing in like mad and fishing for overheads gets predictable after awhile and my only real low is a rekka that people look for. Iron Fist is scary if I can corner you just doing something like that, but expanding his tricks is better. Besides I'm used to reading people from defensive Ryu play in Vanilla. Difference is now I actually have options on what to do to open people up when I notice patterns. Back dashing with Iron Fist to bait out zoning and then crushing it with daggers seems to be sending guys into frenzies. They start teleporting like crazy or calling assists hoping to confirm stuff after that and fishing for helm breakers, hammers, and jump guns. Now to setup some responses to this reaction. Taskmaster's chill with this and Arthur is too, but I'd like more than assist+ dash up with Iron Fist. Think I'll try fishing the skies for throws or seeing if I can bait out a lvl 3 on a teleport sometime.
Back dashing while calling out Arthur is a great way to get Arthur killed by hypers. Personally, the moment I see an unguarded hyper it gets burned.

Depending on what I can figure out, I might even put Rocket Raccoon on point and do Rocket/Magneto/Sentinel. I think I can do an easy corner carry into 1 million damage for two bars, which is a prerequisite for my point characters. I'm almost certain that I can reorganize my team back into Magneto/Sentinel/Raccoon with one TAC and a DHC and get a kill.
If you mess up, Sentinel anchor!

Yeah it does. Ice Storm comes out really fast though. I don't think it can be punished by a teleport unless you do it way before the super starts.
Are you kidding? Ice Storm is one of the slowest hypers in the game unless you're DHCing into it. 41 frame startup is massive. Chaotic Flame, in comparison, is 11. It's not like the thing is super easy to counter, but it's definitely not fast. The only thing it tends to hit at high level play is assist calls unless you want to make a big guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom