• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Last new Wolverine tech was basically capitalizing off of his instant overhead when he is sped up or by using air X factor. This was like early Ultimate days.

Frantic

Last new Wolverine tech was basically capitalizing off of his instant overhead when he is sped up or by using air X factor. This was like early Ultimate days.
Wasn't that in vanilla though? At least the sped up part.

Either way, I hope this new tech is swiss cheese tech. I want swiss cheese technology.

Tirael

The more I think about it, the more I believe Arthur on anchor isn't the best idea. If it's anchor Arthur against anchor Vergil, what options does he have?

JeTmAn81

Yo Paincakes. Welcome to the GAF!

Also, yo Biz. I was excited to be randomly matched against you but was disappointed at the lag to my PS3 as well as dumb decisions on my part. I dont know why i couldnt just learn NOT to random super against Nova. Also, i have no idea why i suck so much at fighting solo non-x-factor Wesker. Also, how on earth is Zero your least threatening character? Lol. Thinking about your team config, you have two assists which help with combo extension and unblockables but doesnt that leave you really vulnerable to zoning? Not that your Zero didnt do some serious solo zoning.

FSLink

Banned
The more I think about it, the more I believe Arthur on anchor isn't the best idea. If it's anchor Arthur against anchor Vergil, what options does he have?

Level 3 XFC mixup or a Level 1 to punish stuff (Dunno if it punishes Spiral Swords since that thing has ridiculous priority. /shakes head)? That's about it, or hope for a random Jump S, lol. If you didn't snap in Vergil earlier in the match, you messed up.

I agree with this assessment but kind of in reverse. Hulk benefits from making your opponent attack you and absorbing their attacks where as Iron Fist has some of the best whiff punishers in the game S.M and S.H. A good advancing guard on Iron Fist's parts or some frame traps as you generously pointed out makes it so that your opponent cannot do thoughtless block strings.

Also Justin wasn't using an optimized Iron Fist team, he just slapped him together because he was fun and Wolverine/Akuma were there to bail him out.

I wanted to point out that all but one out of the moves that have >= 0+ frame advantage have terrible range, and that you have to be in on your opponent first before throwing those moves out. S.H is the best normal but has 11f startup. Iron Fist also has difficulty converting from anti-air hits, where as Hulk can perform a full combo easily from any hit.
My playstyle tends to mean that range is a composite of the hitbox and how much it moves my character forward. In corners, I also found an Iron Fist string that requires 3 advancing guards before you get him off of you - pretty cool stuff. Agreed with the rest of what you say.

I think I'm going to test out Magneto/Rocket Raccoon/Haggar as a backup team. There is some Wesker-level shit with Raccoon/Haggar, and Magneto cound use the defense as well. Lariat also doubles as an amazing combo assist for both characters.

Rocket skates double crossup with Haggar is so stupid.
I thought you were set on a team. ;-) And I think Sentinel+Haggar is better then RR+Haggar.

Apparently Justin found new wolvie tech

via his twitter.

Possibly going back to wolverine?
He wasn't even up to date on his current tech. Still doing day 1 bnbs.

New tech for Wolverine? When was the last time he got new tech? Vanilla?
The new bnb discovery that no one cares about for some reason, and the infinite that got patched out.

D'oh! Okay, I'll know for next time. You on at all tonight? Or anyone on PS3?
After about 6PM I decided to start Xenoblade, and played that for the evening.

Sorry we couldn't get any games going. Had to many people inviting me at inopportune times.

My main is actually Wright/Hulk/Wesker
No problem, it happens. I was enjoying training mode, almost have my Chun-li bnb down. 500K no meter! She has wicked double overheads. It looks like she has landed when the second attack comes out.

I figured you used that team a lot at least, because you felt very comfortable with them all. Respect to you for sticking with Wright. I'm still annoyed at all the Wright fans that pledged they would main him no matter what and dropped him because he's unique and takes practice to use - boo hoo! I'm not at all convinced that he's bad, especially with what is arguably the best low hitting assist in the game.

I'm still annoyed at all the Wright fans that pledged they would main him no matter what and dropped him because he's unique and takes practice to use - boo hoo! I'm not at all convinced that he's bad, especially with what is arguably the best low hitting assist in the game.

Honestly, I only really dropped him because he got lost during the time I rearranged my teams to find what I liked the best and I just couldn't get Missile to work. I should probably give my old Wright/Rocket/Ammy team a try online again one of these days though.

Bizazedo

Yo Paincakes. Welcome to the GAF!

Also, yo Biz. I was excited to be randomly matched against you but was disappointed at the lag to my PS3 as well as dumb decisions on my part. I dont know why i couldnt just learn NOT to random super against Nova. Also, i have no idea why i suck so much at fighting solo non-x-factor Wesker. Also, how on earth is Zero your least threatening character? Lol. Thinking about your team config, you have two assists which help with combo extension and unblockables but doesnt that leave you really vulnerable to zoning? Not that your Zero didnt do some serious solo zoning.

Yes, zoning is the team's achilles heel. But, Zero still handles it okay and Nova is Nova.

All it takes is one hit and an undropped combo.

Grecco

Noel Brown claims he has a non wolverine cheap team for evo. This whole new thing of having new teams a week from Evo seems insane to me.

Also went 0-2 in a local tournament today. I DEFINETLY need to fix a bunch of things. Starts with my team.

So whats the best assist/anchor for a Spencer/Vergil team? Haweye? Taskmaster? Another beam assist like Iron Man/Magneto? An assist like shopping cart? Or Akuma tatsu? Or something else entirely? Would Dante Work? and if so jam session or weasel shot?

Noel Brown claims he has a non wolverine cheap team for evo. This whole new thing of having new teams a week from Evo seems insane to me.

Also went 0-2 in a local tournament today. I DEFINETLY need to fix a bunch of things. Starts with my team.

So whats the best assist/anchor for a Spencer/Vergil team? Haweye? Taskmaster? Another beam assist like Iron Man/Magneto? An assist like shopping cart? Or Akuma tatsu? Or something else entirely? Would Dante Work? and if so jam session or weasel shot?
Just like last Evo. Lots of last second team swaps that ultimately fail for the player.

If you want Spencer/Vergil, why not just go full-blown JWong team? You just want something that Vergil can get teleport combos off of which can also give Spencer easy mixups through ziplining. A lot of assists fit that bill, but which ones do you want to anchor?

I'm not gonna have a throwaway anchor to make Sentinel look pretty. Hell, Sentinel's only there to make Magneto look pretty as it is.
Just sayin'!

Honestly, I only really dropped him because he got lost during the time I rearranged my teams to find what I liked the best and I just couldn't get Missile to work. I should probably give my old Wright/Rocket/Ammy team a try online again one of these days though.
Abandoner.

Solune

Right now i'm using Doom/Nova/Frank. I think i want to change Frank with somebody else. Any recommendations?
Spencer or Dante. I would also switch Doom to second or anchor.
If you'd like in-depth explanations you can ask and I'd be happy to answer.

All of the assists you listed are valid, it really depends on your play style. Dante does work, I would pick weasel shot because it's hard to use Jam Session to get another Upgrapple off. Weasel shot benefits both Spencer and Vergil for crossups.

The best anchor for this shell is probably Magneto.

shaowebb

I agree with this assessment but kind of in reverse. Hulk benefits from making your opponent attack you and absorbing their attacks where as Iron Fist has some of the best whiff punishers in the game S.M and S.H. A good advancing guard on Iron Fist's parts or some frame traps as you generously pointed out makes it so that your opponent cannot do thoughtless block strings.

Also Justin wasn't using an optimized Iron Fist team, he just slapped him together because he was fun and Wolverine/Akuma were there to bail him out.

This is why Iron Fist works best if he's got a team that lets him stay inside without effort or one that forces them into the corner where they can't run. In general, just making a team that locks down any chances of them running away works so if your good at calling Spencer he's actually pretty good as well since he can force them towards Iron Fist. This is why I really like Arthur's armored daggers as their durability is such that I don't have to worry about whether or not they face particular zoning tools. For the most part I can just wave dash in with them everytime through anything straight to my opponent without fail. Plus they cover enough space to mixup teleporters if I call and dash as they end up caught between the last shot or two and me most times. If I delay the assist its even worse as they catch all three.

Iron Fist has to stay in there, but if you got a team that can set this up it gets really good in pressuring and such. Making certain I can convert a throw usually means trying to insure I'm throwing toward the closest corner so they don't get too far out. Sometimes though he just can't convert on everyone. Takes work.

No problem, it happens. I was enjoying training mode, almost have my Chun-li bnb down. 500K no meter! She has wicked double overheads. It looks like she has landed when the second attack comes out..

It's cool. Thats pretty good for no meter and for Chun Li. I always kinda liked Chun Li for being the fastest character and with three jumps and with practice some pretty devastating mix up combos. But HOLY SHIT trying to play this character online is like the biggest hurdle ever. Such strict timing on button presses in the online world is hard. So many times I get lighting legs when I don't intend to. Props to anyone who can play Chun Online.

It's cool. Thats pretty good for no meter and for Chun Li. I always kinda liked Chun Li for being the fastest character and with three jumps and with practice some pretty devastating mix up combos. But HOLY SHIT trying to play this character online is like the biggest hurdle ever. Such strict timing on button presses in the online world is hard. So many times I get lighting legs when I don't intend to. Props to anyone who can play Chun Online.
Want to find out if I can right now? Haha.

Solune

Sure, the explanation would be great. Thanks!

The idea is that with Nova on point, you gain access to great assists both for helping Nova get in and combo extension. With Nova taking the lead, he can Rawtag after any airthrow into a full combo, Novas airthrow all the time, why not take advantage of unscaled damage? Adding in Dante means you have an extremely versatile character who has a great assist, can DHC safely or DHC into damage and anchors pretty well.

Watch these videos to convince you, this also happens to work with Doom and Dante.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0agtOukkjAY
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNVVeCrTKnI

Nova and Spencer are pretty much BFFs and Doom and Spencer are also BFFs, there's quite a bit of synergy in this team. I feel that Doom CAN be played on point, but as an assist he offers alot more where as backing Doom up with these particular assists isn't as powerful. He thrives off of assists that prevent his opponent from moving, like Ammy, Strider, Vergil.

Watch this for Nova's BnB with Spencer. www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhdRv6Eah7s

Any Doom assist allows you to be backed up by some sort of projectile, Plasma Beam and Doom Missiles being particularly powerful (though Molecular Shield is underrated). Nova and Spencer travel very far with their air mobility, they can convert any air dash/zipline into a combo when calling Plasma Beam at the same time. Doom Missiles also allows for great lockdown for mixups and combo extension. To top it off, Doom DHCs great after both of these characters.

B-Dex

So I def feel I've improved my game. I had fight request on while unlocking some more endings and got bodied everytime except against other beginners :( haha. Dante is still my kryptonite.

Dahbomb

I am thinking that the whole rules of hit scaling after TACs were not really accurate before. It's actually that post-TAC if the opponent does not hit the ground AND you have not landed a hit while being grounded which will lead to a hit stun ignoring state.

It's very possible for other characters to set up something similar and keep doing jump loops in the corner if you bring them low enough MVC2 style.

of course a dmc character has a god damn infinite. its always a damn dmc character. -_-
Stop being so salty over DMC characters. Trish isn't even a DMC character by design outside of having a few sword normals. This infinite also requires a particular type of TAC to set up, not the most practical or match effective. This doesn't change her tier rankings at all. It's like getting salty over Tron for having an infinite (which she did in Vanilla) because Zero is godlike.

Tirael

I said a mixup OR level 1 after the Level 3, not to just randomly Level 1. Either way, you already messed up if you let Anchor Vergil alive. :p

Hey guys, I really appreciate your input, and it looks like I do have at least a couple options. Unfortunately, I don't snap Vergil in. He's being played POINT. And he somehow always ends up anchor by the end. So maybe I should snap him in if I accidentally don't finish him off, huh?

Edit: Dahbomb, you're online! Tell me, what's Vergil's weakness?

Dahbomb

One weakness? He has a bunch but the most limiting one is definitely him not having any sort of air mobility. His options in the air are basically boiled down to 3 to 4 moves, one of which has a ton of start up and the other two can be baited or air thrown. If Vergil is forced in the air then that's an uncomfortable position for him. I can understand why he doesn't have air dash by default, it would be broke having it with Spiral Swords as even with DT + SS he can do some dirty stuff by dashing around when he has those on. This weakness gets exposed hard when he is coming in after a character kill which is why snapping in Vergil is a very potent strategy, just remember to bait or chicken block the Helm Breaker as it's a crutch every Vergil player likes to cling to when things get rough. Chicken blocking and then punishing Helm Breaker is a very potent skill every player should know by now just be wary of his cancels after it.

Whiff cancelling normals is a big one, makes him more susceptible to crossover counter technology than most characters in the game. Most characters with invincible hypers can keep Vergil in check as invincible hypers can go through Spiral swords to hit Vergil out of a block string (like Bionic Arm). Invincible crossover counters or invincible grab hypers (most importantly Thor's Mighty Punish) deal with Vergil judiciously. Vergil CAN be grabbed out of Spiral Swords through XF Mighty Punish or even be snapped out of it if his block strings aren't air tight.

His final weakness is that no matter how good he is, he is a resource dependent character. That means that in the rare situation that he finds himself without an assist, meter or X factor... he is a mediocre character with some amazing footsies. It's a rare situation but it can happen and it basically amplifies his weaknesses. You really need to manage your resources well when playing Vergil on a team although that goes for most characters anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom