• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
GGs Slasher. It's too bad you stopped when you did, I was having a lot of fun. What did you think of the Chun-li team synergy? I mean, I clearly suck with all three characters, but I thought the synergy was on point. Shopping Cart seems to get hit a lot more than I thought it would, though. Phoenix Wright's shield gets me every time. It just drives me nuts when I have you in a combo and it pops up, interrupts me, and then you get a combo. I feel like Maya should shout out "C-c-combo Breaker!" every time, hahaha. So many dropped combos on my end with Firebrand, gah. Maybe I should stop spending so much time with the low tiers and just work on my main team.

Which is why I used my mains against you, Bizazedo. GGs. I'm sorry they weren't more exciting, I was having a lot of trouble maintaining interest after the first few matches. Zero just puts me to sleep. It's like a 1-player game against him, even worse than Vergil.

GGs, Karst. I am always scared of Firebrand with Zero. Have to play it so carefully :(.
It seemed like any other Zero I've played. He's not a character that has a sense of personal flare to him. Everyone pretty much just superjumps, buster shot into Raikousen, if it hits, 20 second combo that I daydream off during, and if it doesn't hit, back to superjumping until the buster is charged or ABC blockstrings that pretty much negate pushblock with minimal effort. The only way I can ever tell two Zero players apart is if one is so terrible that he never charges the buster.

I'm not sure why Firebrand scares you, since he's basically an inferior version of Zero.

I am thinking that the whole rules of hit scaling after TACs were not really accurate before. It's actually that post-TAC if the opponent does not hit the ground AND you have not landed a hit while being grounded which will lead to a hit stun ignoring state.

It's very possible for other characters to set up something similar and keep doing jump loops in the corner if you bring them low enough MVC2 style.
That's definitely not the case. If you do a long combo and then TAC into Dormammu, air dash down, and relaunch, the opponent flips out.

Whoo! Good stuff.

Dahbomb

That's what I am saying. Youdid a GROUNDED HIT with the relaunch which set the hit stun back to normal.

If in that video Trish had done a hit where she was grounded himself (like st.H/st.S) the opponent would've flipped out. That combo does not work without a TAC. Notice that all the hits she does in that video, they are all with her in mid air but she has to hit the ground to jump back up.

The previous rule assumed that hit stun wasn't affected after TAC if you or the opponent doesn't touch the ground but this video proves that it's you don't do a move that has you grounded or else it will set the hit stun back to normal.

That's what I am saying. You had to do a GROUNDED HIT with the relaunch which set the hit stun back to normal.

If in that video Trish had done a hit where she was grounded himself (like st.H/st.S) the opponent would've flipped out. That combo does not work without a TAC. Notice that all the hits she does in that video, they are all with her in mid air.
I think this is the more likely explanation:
All moves cause different levels of HSD, and all moves suffer HSD differently. It's very likely that the few moves Trish is looping here either cause little/no HSD, or suffer very little from it. As an alternative, Trish is somehow breaking the normal TAC rules here. After seeing the Dr. Doom TAC glitch that just came out today, I'm pretty open to this second possibility too.

Dahbomb

I just saw the Doom glitch and it seems to be a different tech altogether IMO.

We have to first clarify what the "normal" TAC rules are. Because I think the normal TAC rules of "hit stun is ignored after a TAC if both you or the opponent doesn't touch the floor" isn't valid and the actual rule is "hit stun is ignored if both you don't land a hit while being grounded or the opponent doesn't touch the floor".

I am 90% sure another character can do something like that Trish post-TAC infinite combo if explored deeper.

Excellent! Lets play a nice long set.

GGs Karst. You Chun can definitely do some work. It's always scary that she can go from stationary to tridash shenanigans in a microsecond.

Your Firebrand, Dormmamu and Morrigan team was a forced to be wreckend with. I can tell you play these characters a lot. Is the Dormmamu's vortex assist followed by Firebrand swoop straight up unblockable? Didn't matter if I was blocking high or low I always got hit. I felt proud when I thought to myself "Hey I can probably Alpha Counter that" and it worked. Wesker would just take the damage but Hulk can charge through it and make some damage. I didn't utilize this enough though.

And I don't know what to do against Dorm. I felt Wesker was the only one who had a chance. Hulk I might get lucky with a gamma charge or a rare assist unblockable, but with Wright I don't have the foggiest ideas what to do. Wright is all about the defense and Dorm just doesn't give a fuck about that. From his specials to his hypers they eat me alive. I can't keep away because Dorm is better at and If I do get the projectile advantage I either get Chaotic Flamed or teleported.

I don't know if this is a Nooby question but how do you get out of Purification loops? If I am in the corner or in the air blocking and get hit by it I can't seem to get out of it. As Wright I try to push block and that doesn't work. Then I try to dash forward and I am still hit by the next one. If I tried to jump my jump isn't fast enough to get past the next attack. It was really frustrating.

I wonder if Justin's Wolverine tech is a variant of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Ccs7pfnsI&feature=player_embedded

If it is, then you know what that means.

We have to first clarify what the "normal" TAC rules are. Because I think the normal TAC rules of "hit stun is ignored after a TAC if both you or the opponent doesn't touch the floor" isn't valid and the actual rule is "hit stun is ignored if both you don't land a hit while being grounded or the opponent doesn't touch the floor".

I am 90% sure another character can do something like that Trish post-TAC infinite combo if explored deeper.

Different tech for sure.

Definitely hitstun decay goes back into effect when you land. Trish just happens to have moves that have minimum hitstun. A lot of characters do.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Your Firebrand, Dormmamu and Morrigan team was a forced to be wreckend with. I can tell you play these characters a lot. Is the Dormmamu's vortex assist followed by Firebrand swoop straight up unblockable? Didn't matter if I was blocking high or low I always got hit. I felt proud when I thought to myself "Hey I can probably Alpha Counter that" and it worked. Wesker would just take the damage but Hulk can charge through it and make some damage. I didn't utilize this enough though.

Yeah that Firebrand move when charged up all the way is an unblockable attack.

Dahbomb

Different tech for sure.

Definitely hitstun decay goes back into effect when you land. Trish just happens to have moves that have minimum hitstun. A lot of characters do.
If that's the case, then she would have a true infinite in the corner but she doesn't.

Can someone explain to me how Doom is doing that trick? Why can't you do it with someone like Firebrand or why can't you do it with down TAC? Also can it be countered?

Dahbomb

People on the SRK Trish board said that they pop out if they use this on point. It's the first place I checked when I saw this because this video got in my head as soon as I saw it.

@Bizazedo:
Also, you're the only person I've ever fought who pushblocks Bon Voyage. I'm still not sure how I feel about that.

GAF needs to stop falling apart today. -_-

I know it's different tech. My point was that with something like the Doom glitch coming out right now, we clearly have a much weaker understanding of the kinds of glitches that can occur in TACs than we thought, and thus it's difficult to say what is letting Trish do her infinite.

GGs Karst. You Chun can definitely do some work. It's always scary that she can go from stationary to tridash shenanigans in a microsecond.
Yeah, she's really fast. I actually really like playing her even though I'm terrible. Tridash double overheads are really hard to block. It's too bad Dormammu doesn't have a good assist, I'd try out a lot of different team combinations with him, and put Chun-li on one of those teams.

Yeah, it's unblockable. It has a huge charge time. If I felt like being a dick I could have 200% your team by doing this:
1) Combo Wright, end in Bon Voyage.
2) Dash back, snap Hulk in.
3) Call Dark Hole + swoop.
4) Land unblockable.
5) Combo Hulk, end in Bon Voyage.
6) Dash back, snap Wright in.
7) Call Dark Hole + swoop.
8) Land unblockable.

And I can just loop that forever on any team that has two characters without aerial mobility, and there's no answer to it outside of blowing X-Factor to get out of Dark Hole's blockstun early.

And I don't know what to do against Dorm. I felt Wesker was the only one who had a chance. Hulk I might get lucky with a gamma charge or a rare assist unblockable, but with Wright I don't have the foggiest ideas what to do. Wright is all about the defense and Dorm just doesn't give a fuck about that. From his specials to his hypers they eat me alive. I can't keep away because Dorm is better at and If I do get the projectile advantage I either get Chaotic Flamed or teleported.
Hulk really only has the random Gamma Charges. Wait for Flame Carpet to drop (3 seconds) and go in. Dormammu doesn't have any multi-hit attacks with a fast startup. With Wright, all I can think of is really patient play unless you're in Turnabout Mode. If you get there, I'm completely willing to Chaotic Flame XFC Chaotic Flame to kill Wright, because he's just too strong to deal with. Wesker, outside of X-Factor, I feel has a fairly even matchup with Dormammu.

I don't know if this is a Nooby question but how do you get out of Purification loops? If I am in the corner or in the air blocking and get hit by it I can't seem to get out of it. As Wright I try to push block and that doesn't work. Then I try to dash forward and I am still hit by the next one. If I tried to jump my jump isn't fast enough to get past the next attack. It was really frustrating.
If you get hit by one Purification and you're at the far end of the screen, having to block ~2 more Purifications is pretty much a guarantee. You want to utilize ground dashes that you crouch or jump-cancel into a block to get in on the Purification hails. The move has a 30 frame startup and is +2 on block, so you have a deceptively large window to move around between them. I don't recommend superjumping unless you're Zero, because Dormammu can just teleport behind your superjump, land, and hit you with another Purification as you land.

A lot of it also depends on the character. Like using Purification H against a standing Hulk or Nova is borderline suicide because they cover so much ground. Against Hulk, I tend to use Purification M if he's full-screen to catch the Gamma Charge (Purification is entirely a game of yomi). Against an aerial Nova, I'll probably Purification L because he can traverse the entire screen in one of his air moves.

Unblockable by itself!? I had no idea.
Neither did the authors of the guide, unfortunately, so I don't have its frame data. :-(

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yeah... I saw the Season's Beatings exhibitions and what they offer. They should just put it on their channel for free. Especially since Gootecks left I really don't care about most of what they put out on their channel these days.

Very interesting. Good read.
There's this Haggar player I fight against a lot that drives me nuts. All he does is superjump toward Dormammu with Haggar to get in. Of course, my most intelligent response is to teleport and make him block a Purification. It takes so long for the match to end. I often get hit just because I'm so tired of chipping down such a huge character.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Aren't there ways to make it hard for Firebrand to followup? In the first video I saw of it I thought they said it's harder for the Firebrand to combo off of it if you get hit by the assist instead of blocking. Though I think they were using Tenderize in the video.

Dahbomb

As Hulk if you are in an unblockable situation on the ground, you can X Factor Gamma Crush to get out of it and also damage him in the process. But then you would be free to Dorm X factor chip so really you have be using crossover counters.

I agree with Karsts that a lot of rules and mechanics of TACs are poorly understood. What I know today is completely different from what I knew about it yesterday.

Also is this related to the Doom tech?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSXO3C1qljo

Bizazedo

It seemed like any other Zero I've played. He's not a character that has a sense of personal flare to him. Everyone pretty much just superjumps, buster shot into Raikousen, if it hits, 20 second combo that I daydream off during, and if it doesn't hit, back to superjumping until the buster is charged or ABC blockstrings that pretty much negate pushblock with minimal effort. The only way I can ever tell two Zero players apart is if one is so terrible that he never charges the buster.

I'm not sure why Firebrand scares you, since he's basically an inferior version of Zero.
Because Firebrand's dive just goes through all of Zero's things, basically. The one where he surfboards on Zero. When you're spoiled by Zero's priority, things like that that can overpower Zero's attacks are scary.

Honestly the only thing that made me even survive wasn't Zero, it was Nova overpowering Dorm and that I saw everytime you'd land with Firebrand / Morrigan, you mashed hard on L (understandly so, it's great). If I blocked it, quick jump into Buster or dash from Nova since you'd keep hitting L a bit too long even after it was blocked.

Aren't there ways to make it hard for Firebrand to followup? In the first video I saw of it I thought they said it's harder for the Firebrand to combo off of it if you get hit by the assist instead of blocking. Though I think they were using Tenderize in the video.
It really depends on my execution and the latency. Off of a snap-in, if I do it perfectly getting hit by it won't make a difference at all. If I botch the job then you might fall into a soft knockdown and miss the swoop.

The Stalking Flare setup doesn't have this problem though, because I wait until I see my opponent is blocking before I call Dark Hole to pin him, and its just continuing off of Stalking Flare's blockstun. If my opponent doesn't block Stalking Flare then I just combo him anyway.

Tenderizer is really, really finicky. So finicky that I honestly thought it didn't work if your opponent gets hit by it when I tried it in training mode several times. I know there's a lot of speculation about the Tenderizer setup, but even players who use Firebrand/Skrull don't go for it because if you screw it up you just lost a bar for nothing.

Plus, Firebrand only does like 300K off of the combo he gets if you use Tenderizer and your opponent gets hit. So if you want to kill two characters with 1 million health, you're looking at repeating the snapback loop perfectly at least 8 times to kill a character, and maybe more because while you're doing the snapback loop on one character, the other one is regaining red health. Plus your opponent gets a ton of meter from all this, and you're spending 1 bar per 300K combo. Firebrand isn't generating positive meter during all of this, either.

I hesitate to call the Tenderizer setup overrated, but the people it impresses the most are definitely not the people who play Firebrand, haha.

As Hulk if you are in an unblockable situation on the ground, you can X Factor Gamma Crush to get out of it and also damage him in the process. But then you would be free to Dorm X factor chip so really you have be using crossover counters.

I agree with Karsts that a lot of rules and mechanics of TACs are poorly understood. What I know today is completely different from what I knew about it yesterday.

Also is this related to the Doom tech?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSXO3C1qljo
Naw, he won't hit me. If a Hulk player XFCs into Gamma Crush I just let go of the swoop right after he goes into the air, so Gamma Crush whiffs. And Stalking Flare only goes out if Dormammu gets hit, not if Firebrand gets hit. So even if he does hit me, Stalking Flare is going to hit him right back, and then I get a free combo when I Bon Voyage off of it. Only particular crossover counters work. Slasher was doing this with Wesker, and Wesker would just get hit by Firebrand anyway. You need to put a character with an invincible hyper or something in to really make it work. And even then, you're still eventually going to get hit by Stalking Flare unless you're Captain America or something.

Because Firebrand's dive just goes through all of Zero's things, basically. The one where he surfboards on Zero. When you're spoiled by Zero's priority, things like that that can overpower Zero's attacks are scary.

Honestly the only thing that made me even survive wasn't Zero, it was Nova overpowering Dorm and that I saw everytime you'd land with Firebrand / Morrigan, you mashed hard on L (understandly so, it's great). If I blocked it, quick jump into Buster or dash from Nova since you'd keep hitting L a bit too long even after it was blocked.
Surfboard divekick = Bon Voyage. It's basically an inferior level 3 buster, though. It doesn't actually outrange Zero. The range on Bon Voyage is pretty mediocre. It's just moving while it's attacking like any dive kick, so it's hard to gauge how to counter it. Vergil and Dante players just launch me straight out of it, and it pisses me off since that's basically all Firebrand has to open people up with (his mix-ups are pretty terrible).

I definitely feel as though Zero was what made the matches the most difficult on my end. My problems with Nova are primarily inexperience. His shitty air dashes really mess with my head because they're so slow. I expect him to come zipping forward, but he just kind of floats toward me and my brain psychs itself out.

The thing about Firebrand is that he doesn't really have anything good to cancel a lot of his stuff into. Like if you're pushblock Bon Voyage and I had a brain fart that made me hit c.L anyway, there isn't a lot for me to do regardless. He doesn't have anything that lets him retain momentum from his blockstrings outside of Demon Missile H, and that is a risky move against a lot of characters, and doesn't even lead to anything if it hits.

My Morrigan really just needs a lot of work. It's hard to get practice with your anchor, and this team does not perform well with Morrigan on point. A lot of it was the disinterest in the matches, though. I didn't want to be a dick and just stand there, but I also couldn't muster the energy to be using Morrigan right most of the time.

Dahbomb

I was referring to the regular on the ground Dark Hole + unblockable set up not the Stalking Flare set up.

And I would XFC right at the moment Firebrand is about to touch Hulk with the swoop. Doing XFC anytime before would be a huge waste. Of course like I said burning XFC early against a Dorm team is ill advised anyway.

Slasher, how do you deal with Zero? I can't imagine your team has a good answer to him.

I was referring to the regular on the ground Dark Hole + unblockable set up not the Stalking Flare set up.

And I would XFC right at the moment Firebrand is about to touch Hulk with the swoop. Doing XFC anytime before would be a huge waste. Of course like I said burning XFC early against a Dorm team is ill advised anyway.
Ah, yeah that would work. The timing would be really tight, since if you do it too late I'll be able to fly-cancel and recover.

Any comments about that Firebrand TAC video? Is that the same "tech" as the Doom video?
No, it's not the same tech. That tech has been here since Vanilla. It would sometimes happen when She-Hulk did her TAC glitch to relaunch. Sometimes you'd get a ground bounce, but not often. The Doom tech somehow has him actually perform the TAC, but he's TACing back into himself. It completely blows my mind, we've never seen anything like it.

Edit: Some folks on GFAQs think they've figured it out:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/637240-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3/63203914?page=1

The thought is that you have to be grounded by the time the TAC resolves. This makes sense since another poster says he has done it with Magneto.

Grecco

The folks in the thread say it is, so this might not be useful unless your last character is Doom/Magneto and you need more damage and don't have meter.

It has been posted a few times!

My apologies was just gonna edit my post to say that i saw it on the last page :(

but i did want to respond to this

I figured you used that team a lot at least, because you felt very comfortable with them all. Respect to you for sticking with Wright. I'm still annoyed at all the Wright fans that pledged they would main him no matter what and dropped him because he's unique and takes practice to use - boo hoo! I'm not at all convinced that he's bad, especially with what is arguably the best low hitting assist in the game.

I legitimately tried to give him a shot, and i really do beliebe hes terrible. None of his normals are any good imo, and he even has stuff that at least for me got in the way of trying to plink dash wit him. Also hate his assists. Get him Missile is not great.

I actually tried to go back today and was thining about Spencer/Wright/DrDoom and hes just not good. Maybe not worst in the game bad but botton 3 bad.

Unbelievable that some people are considering "going back" to Trish because of this. Oi.

I legitimately tried to give him a shot, and i really do beliebe hes terrible. None of his normals are any good imo, and he even has stuff that at least for me got in the way of trying to plink dash wit him. Also hate his assists. Get him Missile is not great.
It's too bad you're not on the PS3. Slasher's main team has Wright on point, and I think it's a pretty capable team. I'm surprised you hate "Get em' Missile!", because it's a really good assist for Taskmaster. I think Wright is a legitimately playable character in this game. Slasher definitely made me curse a few times.

Morrigan was considered a low tier character until ChrisG figured out how she should be used. I think the same can be said for a lot of characters, and people should spend time figuring their guys out instead of going with "what's good", which really translates to "what everyone else has already taken the time to figure out for me". I'm not saying all characters are equal in value, just that I don't think the game has a legitimately bad character in it. Maybe Hsien-ko, but I'm really skeptical of that.

There are definitely characters that make others redundant, but it's not like you're playing for keeps on XBL/PSN.

Here's a newer video, this time off an up exchange!

I imagine there's probably a way to get it working off a side exchange, too.
Voila!

The thought is that you have to be grounded by the time the TAC resolves. This makes sense since another poster says he has done it with Magneto.

Aww, I was just about to post that lol I think you can use the wallbounce to do two flight H loops, but I dunno. I stopped bothering once I knew you could counter it.

Tirael

I wanna learn some Vergil and Zero. Where do I start?!

I don't remember if you've posted in the thread at all, sorry. It'd help if you could give me some idea of your skill level. Can you read notations? If you can, just for the sake of putting something down, here's Vergil's easiest BNB:

LMHSH, sj. MMH, down+H, downforward+H, QCF+AA

Zero's easiest BNB is the standard magic series, just add Forward+H to the end of his ground series. And make sure The H's on the ground and in the air both hit three times, as well as the forward+H.

LMH (3 hits), forward+H (3 hits), S, sj. MMH (3 hits) S, QCF+AA

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
arthur_speedy_by_anjinanhut.jpg

Soon....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom