• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

olimpia84

I'm looking into getting the Vita version of this game. Is it a good version of the game? Are the DLC characters like Jill already available or do I have to buy them?

Nert

I'm looking into getting the Vita version of this game. Is it a good version of the game? Are the DLC characters like Jill already available or do I have to buy them?

Having played over a thousand games in the Vita version before dropping it entirely, I would recommend that you avoid it. It's a competent version of UMvC3, although the load times are definitely longer and there are obviously less graphical effects. The Vita's D-pad is great, making the inability to use an arcade stick less noticeable.

The main problem is the absolutely rampant cheating in the online mode. There is no apparent penalty for disconnecting in the Vita version, as the majority of my opponents (with 50+ game win streaks) would immediately disconnect upon losing. I tried to ignore it and have fun playing the game for the sake of it, but eventually I became sick of people mashing buttons, decidedly losing, and then immediately dropping out of the game.

I could only recommend it if you can stomach the rage quitting or if you're okay with only participating in player matches.

Yeah, it's unblockable. It has a huge charge time. If I felt like being a dick I could have 200% your team by doing this:
1) Combo Wright, end in Bon Voyage.
2) Dash back, snap Hulk in.
3) Call Dark Hole + swoop.
4) Land unblockable.
5) Combo Hulk, end in Bon Voyage.
6) Dash back, snap Wright in.
7) Call Dark Hole + swoop.
8) Land unblockable.

And I can just loop that forever on any team that has two characters without aerial mobility, and there's no answer to it outside of blowing X-Factor to get out of Dark Hole's blockstun early.

If I recall correctly, if your opponent lets themselves get hit by the dark hole rather than block it, you have to modify your combo in a way that makes it meter-negative AND is much harder for you to convert off of, so you will either drop your combo or eventually run out of meter. Is this right?

I played a Firebrand/Dormammu team for a long time so this type of setup really interested me but I never seriously looked into replacing my anchor with a meter-gaining assist. I seem to recall those issues being the problem with it though. I don't remember just how meter-negative it was though so you could still potentially loop for a while before getting below 1 bar.

smurfx

get some go again
q has quit marvel twice! i don't consider him a fellow member. to get back in he has to beat karsts in a first to 30 match.

68l2J.jpg

If I recall correctly, if your opponent lets themselves get hit by the dark hole rather than block it, you have to modify your combo in a way that makes it meter-negative AND is much harder for you to convert off of. Is this right?

I played a Firebrand/Dormammu team for a long time so this type of setup really interested me but I never seriously looked into replacing my anchor with a meter-gaining assist. I seem to recall those issues being the problem with it though. I don't remember just how meter-negative it was though so you could still potentially loop for a while before getting below 1 bar.
I don't find it hard to convert off of because I have a lot of practice. The only time it's difficult is if the game is stupid and has Firebrand attack in the wrong direction (Capcom needs to fix this, it's moronic). I haven't missed a conversion when Dark Hole hits since I learned how to do it, I think it's pretty easy. It's just waiting until the opponent is next to you, j.H, d.H, qcb.L and into your normal combo. Basically how you confirm off of any random air to air hit.

It's meter negative, but not with Dark Harmonizer. Dark Harmonizer either makes it perfectly even in meter gain or I gain just a little bit, I forget. I can loop as long as I want.

FYI, if you want to do Firebrand/Dormammu/meter assist, that third option pretty much needs to be Morrigan. Her meter assist is leagues and leagues ahead of Frank and Ammy. She's only vulnerable for a total of 10 frames, and her assist becomes available 70 frames (over 1 second) sooner than theirs as well. Ammy and Frank sit there forever, which means you need to put in the work to protect them. I call Morrigan whenever I feel like it, even when someone is about to attack me, and I lose her maybe one out of 50 fights with such carelessness. I even called her while being combo'd and she somehow fit in between my opponent's hits today. If Ammy's were on par with Morrigan's, I'd probably use Amaterasu instead for synergy, but I'm glad I have Morrigan's because it gives me an excuse to use her despite the troublesome DHC synergy.

q has quit marvel twice! i don't consider him a fellow member. to get back in he has to beat karts in a first to 30 match.
Mario Karts?

Last I checked, Q's connection does not mesh with mine. That was back in Vanilla, though, so who knows.

Solune

I wanna learn some Vergil and Zero. Where do I start?!

Check out Nini Hearts Zero stuff, I'm sure there's more you can find but it should be a good place to start.

Basic Zero Mixups
Zero Hitconfirms
Misc UMvC3 Zero stuff

It's also important to know that you can relaunch after Zero hits you with a Buster > Raikousen, but you cannot do it as MMHS, it has to be a delayed J.2H into S, Nini Heart goes over it in the 3rd video.

As for Vergil stuff learn to use Round Trip. Some people like to criticize Jago but I feel his Vergil guide is pretty solid

Basically, don't whiff normals because you WILL eat a fat combo. Do not raw teleport unless you are absolutely sure your opponent cannot react to it. Always cancel your normal on contact if your opponent blocks, the safest options are Rising Sun (Is punishable if your opponent pushblocks and you do not teleport) or Judgement Cut. Don't spam Helm Breaker, it is +0 if guarded on the ground though, Helm Breaker is also SPECIAL cancellable on contact, cancel into Rising Sun if they chicken block your Helm Breaker.

That's all the beginner stuff I guess.

Oh, wow. That's in reaction to the music, not the video. Damn, 8-bit music is so good. This sounds like some high quality Megaman stuff.

He got banned...was he ever unbanned?

Yes, he mostly plays DotA2 I believe, he was playing Tales of Graces F and Diablo 3 the last I saw.

It's meter negative, but not with Dark Harmonizer. Dark Harmonizer either makes it perfectly even in meter gain or I gain just a little bit, I forget. I can loop as long as I want.

Right, I understand the need for Morrigan but I thought that the change you need to make to your combo if dark hole connects made the combo meter-negative. I'm basing that off this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28qAtybtQjE

They use tenderizer instead of black hole in that video but I assumed it would be the same, although tenderizer shoots them upward and dark hole doesn't, so maybe that's the key.

Characters with an air-dash or double-jump can still escape the dark hole though, right? Spencer can also bionic bomber IIRC which either forces you to x-factor or lose your Firebrand unless you can swoop --> unfly fast enough. Let me know if I'm wrong on that but I know I've been caught that way with incoming Spencers. Maybe I just wasn't setting it up correctly.

Yes, he mostly plays DotA2 I believe, he was playing Tales of Graces F and Diablo 3 the last I saw.
There you go. No clue why he stopped playing entirely, though.

What did I miss o.o Did he go insane from me not beating on him anymore?
It wasn't from this thread. Some fight with someone in OT or something.

Right, I understand the need for Morrigan but I thought that the change you need to make to your combo if dark hole connects made the combo meter-negative. I'm basing that off this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28qAtybtQjE

They use tenderizer instead of black hole in that video but I assumed it would be the same, although tenderizer shoots them upward and dark hole doesn't, so maybe that's the key.

Characters with an air-dash or double-jump can still escape the dark hole though, right? Spencer can also bionic bomber IIRC which either forces you to x-factor or lose your Firebrand unless you can swoop --> unfly fast enough. Let me know if I'm wrong on that but I know I've been caught that way with incoming Spencers. Maybe I just wasn't setting it up correctly.
Oh. That combo isn't optimized. You can get neutral meter if they're hit by Dark Hole, or at least so close that it doesn't even matter. Really though, since I discovered the Firebrand DHC glitch setup, I don't really use the snapback setup all that often. After I kill a character, I can just use Dark Hole + unblockable on the next incoming character and get the same effect. So why rush? The next guy will get his turn.

Characters with air dashes, double jumps, and aerial hypers can escape the setup. In other words, the majority of the cast has an answer, so you can only loop it against select teams. Against other characters, the best setup I've found is just aerial Bon Voyage into air throw - really effective.

I'm not sure how Bionic Bomber will cause a problem unless it destroys projectiles, since Spencer would just be landing in Dark Hole. According to the guide, only the last hit does this. I've never had a Spencer player try, though.

I'm not sure how Bionic Bomber will cause a problem unless it destroys projectiles, since Spencer would just be landing in Dark Hole. According to the guide, only the last hit does this. I've never had a Spencer player try, though.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarifications with the combo. RE: Bionic Bomber, when Spencer uses it he is propelled upward for a second before coming down (there's actually quite a delay) which gives him enough time to dodge the black hole, then Firebrand swoops in right under him and gets tagged because he's in fly mode after the swoop.

Like I said though, it might just be me not timing/spacing things correctly but it happened to me a few times and I felt pretty foolish so I never tried it against Spencer again.

Grecco

Clockwork already is doing the amy glitch on combos stream. Its crazy how quickly the game advances. Cant wait to see Jago play.

Dahbomb

Ultimoo is in the Diablo 3 vortex. Dude has a pretty high geared DH and farms like crazy. Plays Dota 2 too. Posts regularly on the D3 thread.

The idea is that with Nova on point, you gain access to great assists both for helping Nova get in and combo extension. With Nova taking the lead, he can Rawtag after any airthrow into a full combo, Novas airthrow all the time, why not take advantage of unscaled damage? Adding in Dante means you have an extremely versatile character who has a great assist, can DHC safely or DHC into damage and anchors pretty well.

Watch these videos to convince you, this also happens to work with Doom and Dante.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0agtOukkjAY
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNVVeCrTKnI

Nova and Spencer are pretty much BFFs and Doom and Spencer are also BFFs, there's quite a bit of synergy in this team. I feel that Doom CAN be played on point, but as an assist he offers alot more where as backing Doom up with these particular assists isn't as powerful. He thrives off of assists that prevent his opponent from moving, like Ammy, Strider, Vergil.

Watch this for Nova's BnB with Spencer. www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhdRv6Eah7s

Any Doom assist allows you to be backed up by some sort of projectile, Plasma Beam and Doom Missiles being particularly powerful (though Molecular Shield is underrated). Nova and Spencer travel very far with their air mobility, they can convert any air dash/zipline into a combo when calling Plasma Beam at the same time. Doom Missiles also allows for great lockdown for mixups and combo extension. To top it off, Doom DHCs great after both of these characters.

Wow man, thanks! I'm going to use Dante. Man, he's tough to use! Real execution heavy.

Azure J

I think I really do have an issue with nerves in this game. I am trying to adjust, but recently I've been going through the most consistent losing streak I've had thus far. It just feels like I'm trying to do things beyond my ability for the sake of landing a hit or that maybe I've just been completely read play style wise by my only competition. =/

It just sucks when you want to be patient and this game rewards people who get aggressive more. Ugh, enough about that. Hey Frantic, I have a video concept for you if you get the chance. A "How to approach" with Dante & Strider (solo + assists; covering match intro, general notes about safe approaches, advanced approaches, welcome mix-ups and solo/anchor play) would be lovely. I know a few things already, but I'd like to see what I'm not abusing and what I should be doing more of.

That of course if you have the time or desire to do something so abstract.

I think I really do have an issue with nerves in this game. I am trying to adjust, but recently I've been going through the most consistent losing streak I've had thus far. It just feels like I'm trying to do things beyond my ability for the sake of landing a hit or that maybe I've just been completely read play style wise by my only competition. =/

It just sucks when you want to be patient and this game rewards people who get aggressive more. Ugh, enough about that. Hey Frantic, I have a video concept for you if you get the chance. A "How to approach" with Dante & Strider (solo + assists; covering match intro, general notes about safe approaches, advanced approaches, welcome mix-ups and solo/anchor play) would be lovely. I know a few things already, but I'd like to see what I'm not abusing and what I should be doing more of.

That of course if you have the time or desire to do something so abstract.
The game rewards intelligent aggression. I think a big key with a lot of characters when you're waiting is to do things that look like things but aren't. Like with Dante, jumping around doing j.S into qcf.M is good patient play. You can always air dash into j.H if the qcf.M hits within a certain distance, etc.

Azure J

The game rewards intelligent aggression. I think a big key with a lot of characters when you're waiting is to do things that look like things but aren't. Like with Dante, jumping around doing j.S into qcf.M is good patient play. You can always air dash into j.H if the qcf.M hits within a certain distance, etc.

Admittedly, I don't do the j.S cancel into Air Play enough. Usually, I just go into Air Play. I was doing a lot of the dash in after it a while back and it was really effective at stopping a lot of gimmicks cold, but then I suddenly lost the ability to time the air dash forward and connect with j.M/j.H.

I swear my execution has periods of ebb and flow that I never understand. It's the same for me in Smash bros. as well. :lol

Who is that guy and why should I listen to him for 15 minutes?

On a Marvel related note, help my Rocket Raccoon bnb. I'm just trying to do the basic launcher and air series into Mr. Flapper, Pendulum for the relaunch, and then Mr. Flapper into Rock and Roll to end. I usually don't end close enough to my opponent for Mr. Flapper to hit, though, and if I dash forward they recover too soon. What am I doing wrong?

On a Marvel related note, help my Rocket Raccoon bnb. I'm just trying to do the basic launcher and air series into Mr. Flapper, Pendulum for the relaunch, and then Mr. Flapper into Rock and Roll to end. I usually don't end close enough to my opponent for Mr. Flapper to hit, though, and if I dash forward they recover too soon. What am I doing wrong?

If you‘re too far, try Rocket Skatesxxbear trap.

What are you using for your air series? A simple jM jS is usually best.

Jeff Schaefer, 2nd best Hyper Fighting player after Tomo. Also one of the pioneers of competitive RTS techniques.

You have to super delay your air combos and do the mhs or whatevs right before they're about to pop out.

If you‘re too far, try Rocket Skatesxxbear trap.

What are you using for your air series? A simple jM jS is usually best.

Jeff Schaefer, 2nd best Hyper Fighting player after Tomo. Also one of the pioneers of competitive RTS techniques.

You have to super delay your air combos and do the mhs or whatevs right before they're about to pop out.
I was just using MS. Super delay, eh? I'll keep that in mind.

Tobe

how come you've never tried zero seriously? you should go with zero may cry since you already know 2 of the characters pretty well. i mean everybody here knows tobe loves his top tiers. :p

Can't play zero, his movement isn't smooth like magneto or wesker. Dante well I can play him but the slow normals are something I can't deal with. Sure I can play him just for fun but for real I can't. Vergil is also kinda of slow but the 3 way teleport and dp makes up for it. The lack of fast low hitting normals is off putting, that's why I love Logan and magnus.

His videos telling the story of the old days are just perfect. The tales of Toni being godlike and the blanka train are to be preserved for the future of man kind.

Cause he is real og? He has good stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom