• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frantic

Hey Frantic, I have a video concept for you if you get the chance. A "How to approach" with Dante & Strider (solo + assists; covering match intro, general notes about safe approaches, advanced approaches, welcome mix-ups and solo/anchor play) would be lovely. I know a few things already, but I'd like to see what I'm not abusing and what I should be doing more of.
I'll see what I can do. Some of that shouldn't be too difficult to do.

Like with Dante, jumping around doing j.S into qcf.M is good patient play. You can always air dash into j.H if the qcf.M hits within a certain distance, etc.
I actually wouldn't recommend doing j.S into Air Play. Dante's Helm Breaker is too slow on startup, and it's not hard to punish it on startup with a jumping normal or an airthrow. The best option is either a j.M > Air Play, or j.H > Air Play. I prefer using j.M, since it covers above Dante better than j.H, but j.H has more hitstun, and can be OS'd to an airthrow. Either way is fine, and switching it up depending on distance or positioning isn't a bad idea. Against characters who stay in the air and above you, j.M is better, but characters who stay on the ground or under you, j.H is better.

Watching the FGTV house last night FChamp was talking character potential, and Wolverine came up, of course as we would all assume he was saying Wolverine is maxed out, Yipes happened to be in the chat and was adamant that Justin's new tech would hugely change his mind, whatever Justin found it must be some BS.

Bizazedo

Surfboard divekick = Bon Voyage. It's basically an inferior level 3 buster, though. It doesn't actually outrange Zero. The range on Bon Voyage is pretty mediocre. It's just moving while it's attacking like any dive kick, so it's hard to gauge how to counter it. Vergil and Dante players just launch me straight out of it, and it pisses me off since that's basically all Firebrand has to open people up with (his mix-ups are pretty terrible).

I definitely feel as though Zero was what made the matches the most difficult on my end. My problems with Nova are primarily inexperience. His shitty air dashes really mess with my head because they're so slow. I expect him to come zipping forward, but he just kind of floats toward me and my brain psychs itself out.

It's not about outranging Zero, it's that Firebrand can stay above or equal level with Zero and I can never get to him without a Vajra or something to bring Firebrand down. Well read / well timed fireballs and you could've / probably should've just stayed away and got to level 5. The only real mistake you made was being far too aggressive, imo, and spamming lights or missing period and eating a buster or a counterattack. That's the only way Zero should reasonably catch Firebrand (again, without Vajra or some assist to bring him down).

And why I mentioned Bon Voyage is if I do try and get too aggressive, if you see a lightning or a dive kick, Bon Voyage beats it every time. It'll even blow through Pizza cutter or anything else.

It's good to know that I can launch you if you come at me, but seeing as how I'm always in the air I'd have to retrain myself lol.

As for the actual fights..I dunno, man. Nova always felt like the trump because he stopped Dorm from doing his thing. Stalking Flare, Chaotic Flame, Takedown EZ peazy and force you to X-factor early or Nova usually kills Dorm with the conversion after Takedown (assuming I don't drop it).

And his air dashes do start up slow, then kick into high gear over long distance (and a properly timed j.H makes them go farther), so yeah, inexperience hurts there. He's odd to judge if y'don't face him a lot.

I love that character so much I tend to overrate him and I acknowledge that, but the Dorm match up is one where it feels he just pisses all over it.
FYI, if you want to do Firebrand/Dormammu/meter assist, that third option pretty much needs to be Morrigan. Her meter assist is leagues and leagues ahead of Frank and Ammy. She's only vulnerable for a total of 10 frames, and her assist becomes available 70 frames (over 1 second) sooner than theirs as well.
Yeah, that was crazy. I started hitting her in our set, but never enough to kill and usually it was required to anticipate it. It wasn't impossible to react to the audio call of her coming in, but it wasn't really feasible enough to kill (and the only reason I hurt her as much as I did was the bullshit that is the Buster lvl 3).

I always knew your meter built quick with her, but I didn't realize how quickly til our fights Karst. It was siiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.

Separately..

One of my biggest issues with Wolverine is Zero surviving the first three seconds of the fight without being hit. Backwalk / back jump speed is just too slow.

Considering starting Nova to "fix" this. Thoughts?

I'll see what I can do. Some of that shouldn't be too difficult to do.

I actually wouldn't recommend doing j.S into Air Play. Dante's Helm Breaker is too slow on startup, and it's not hard to punish it on startup with a jumping normal or an airthrow. The best option is either a j.M > Air Play, or j.H > Air Play. I prefer using j.M, since it covers above Dante better than j.H, but j.H has more hitstun, and can be OS'd to an airthrow. Either way is fine, and switching it up depending on distance or positioning isn't a bad idea. Against characters who stay in the air and above you, j.M is better, but characters who stay on the ground or under you, j.H is better.
Good tips.

It's not about outranging Zero, it's that Firebrand can stay above or equal level with Zero and I can never get to him without a Vajra or something to bring Firebrand down. Well read / well timed fireballs and you could've / probably should've just stayed away and got to level 5. The only real mistake you made was being far too aggressive, imo, and spamming lights or missing period and eating a buster or a counterattack. That's the only way Zero should reasonably catch Firebrand (again, without Vajra or some assist to bring him down).
It's difficult to engage in the fireball war up there with you because for every fireball I throw, it's one less time I can dash. Does Zero's buster count against his aerial special limit? My biggest problem up there was that you'd Raikousen, and the leftover lightning would catch me as I have to maneuver from you being under me. I thought about it last night, and I think it might actually be best for me to stay on the ground and engage in an anti-air fireball battle, using Bon Voyage to get under you and escape buster shots. Up top you definitely had the upper hand, because I can peck away at you with fireballs, but if you get me I'm just dead.

And why I mentioned Bon Voyage is if I do try and get too aggressive, if you see a lightning or a dive kick, Bon Voyage beats it every time. It'll even blow through Pizza cutter or anything else.

It's good to know that I can launch you if you come at me, but seeing as how I'm always in the air I'd have to retrain myself lol.
Haha.

As for the actual fights..I dunno, man. Nova always felt like the trump because he stopped Dorm from doing his thing. Stalking Flare, Chaotic Flame, Takedown EZ peazy and force you to X-factor early or Nova usually kills Dorm with the conversion after Takedown (assuming I don't drop it).
That's true, there was that problem. Your Nova was effective against me, but I attribute that to a lack of matchup experience (I still don't have a strong grasp on a lot of the Ultimate characters), whereas Zero is just Zero. Nova's movement just messes with my head.

And his air dashes do start up slow, then kick into high gear over long distance (and a properly timed j.H makes them go farther), so yeah, inexperience hurts there. He's odd to judge if y'don't face him a lot.
Yeah, I got air thrown so many times because I just didn't time things right.

I love that character so much I tend to overrate him and I acknowledge that, but the Dorm match up is one where it feels he just pisses all over it.
I need more experience to make the judgment about the matchup. Do you always get a full combo from Takedown?

Yeah, that was crazy. I started hitting her in our set, but never enough to kill and usually it was required to anticipate it. It wasn't impossible to react to the audio call of her coming in, but it wasn't really feasible enough to kill (and the only reason I hurt her as much as I did was the bullshit that is the Buster lvl 3).

I always knew your meter built quick with her, but I didn't realize how quickly til our fights Karst. It was siiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.
Yeah, it's awesome how fast it goes up. It made me able to play Phoenix on point in Vanilla easy. I would get Dark Phoenix in no time just superjumping and throwing out fireballs. The problem is that, because Dormammu's assists are so horrible, and I don't want to use Dormammu on point, I need a point character that can survive without assists. It's definitely a frustrating experience. I actually wish I could put Morrigan on point. I might mess with Rocket Raccoon on anchor today and see what Log Trap does for her Soul Fist walls, especially for comboing into Soul Drain.

Separately..

One of my biggest issues with Wolverine is Zero surviving the first three seconds of the fight without being hit. Backwalk / back jump speed is just too slow.

Considering starting Nova to "fix" this. Thoughts?
Wolverine and X-23 are pretty much why I won't use Dormammu on point. Ugh. What happens if you just jump back and j.H with Zero and cancel it into one of your command dashes to get space? I don't see how Nova would do better, since his startup movement is just as bad as Zero's. Wesker would make sense, though.

Bizazedo

It's difficult to engage in the fireball war up there with you because for every fireball I throw, it's one less time I can dash. Does Zero's buster count against his aerial special limit? My biggest problem up there was that you'd Raikousen, and the leftover lightning would catch me as I have to maneuver from you being under me. I thought about it last night, and I think it might actually be best for me to stay on the ground and engage in an anti-air fireball battle, using Bon Voyage to get under you and escape buster shots. Up top you definitely had the upper hand, because I can peck away at you with fireballs, but if you get me I'm just dead.
I love talking about this game, btw, so excuse my eagerness to talk /type about it.

Zero can only do each special move once in the air and certain moves prevent the other specials from being utilized. The only asterisk, and it's obviously a big fucking asterisk, is level 3 Buster cancels anything and more or less resets his available air option count back to zero. It's also what allows him to TAC glitch without X-factor as it puts him back into a neutral state.

So if he dive kicks, he's not doing his teleports to change direction. He's "done" unless he buster cancels. He cannot cancel with air dash, either.

If he "teleports" (really just a SPECIAL air dash), he can still dive kick or lightning. He cannot teleport twice in the air unless he at some point in the air level 3 Busters (I think).

Lightning, if it's not buster cancelled, leaves him completely helpless til he hits the ground and as you know he can also be hit out of it before the lightning goes active (he has to reach his endpoint in the "teleport" before it goes active. The worst feeling in the world is doing a horizontal or up angle lightning, missing, and slowly falling to the ground without lvl 3 Buster charged. Luckily, most are so scared of Zero you can get away with it sometimes.)

So, probably the MOST air movement he can do is air dash, vertical or horizontal air teleport, lightning (what I was doing to TRY and catch Firebrand), cancel with buster or buster at the end or at any point, air dash again, lightning or dive kick.

And I'm not 100% sure about the multiple air dashes with a buster in between, but it feels right. This is one of those things where muscle memory knows it even if cognitively I don't lol.

That's why Bon Voyage terrifies me. If you stay full screen, at best I can catch you with a cancelled lightning, but you're too far away to combo. You can keep tossing fireballs from the air and if I do divekick or slant down lightning for movement reasons, if you're quick you can Bon Voyage me into oblivion.

The only way Zero can hit Firebrand you is if you LET me do it or if I have an assist that forces you down.

I'm not a fan of the idea of Firebrand staying on the ground because of Zero's options with buster charged, though. You saw him versus Dorm, all I did was lazily superjump towards you and see what you were going to do. Up fireball would make me horizontal teleport or release buster into it (does it cancel or win?) and air dash / divekick down at you. If the idea is to keep Zero away, I've always experienced the absolute most trouble with people who can stay up in the air higher than he can go.

MODOK / Trish are huge pains in the ass.

That's true, there was that problem. Your Nova was effective against me, but I attribute that to a lack of matchup experience (I still don't have a strong grasp on a lot of the Ultimate characters), whereas Zero is just Zero. Nova's movement just messes with my head.

Once I got used to his movement, I loved it. It helps a lot that j.H when blocked is something crazy like +18. He's an amazingly simple and basic character, admittedly. J.H j.H j.H j.H THROW j.H etc.

But where he shines imo is the crazy damage Nova Force does, being able to convert every throw into half life, minimum (more now with hard tagging out to people), he can do crazy TAC air combos, and..

Takedown.
Yeah, I got air thrown so many times because I just didn't time things right.
Nova's air throw range is ridiculous. We're talking at least tied for the best in the game. A lot of times even if you know it's coming, that combined with his weird changeup / knuckleball style movements means you're screwed.

I need more experience to make the judgment about the matchup. Do you always get a full combo from Takedown?

Assuming I don't drop it? All depends on the height of whom I hit.

If they're on the ground / CLOSE to the ground, yes. On the ground, everyone can be combo'd as long as Nova goes down and is close to the ground after whatever the last hit is. And not only that, we're talking full combo. With my team set up, Nova builds a meter AFTER hitting with Takedown, so he's always guaranteed a Nova Force to end it. Combined with abusing X-factor2, an errant hit from a Takedown kills almost anybody.

If they're close to the ground, it all depends on how close to the ground / how big they are. Dormammu is huge and it's easy to combo him.

The other nice thing is if Nova quickly superjumps and does Takedown, unless your opponent has jumped already, it's basically an immediate 50/50 (barring specific craziness). It's not hard at all to fly past someone and come down behind them, hit them twice, and then combo after Takedown.

Well that and invalidating projectiles. You saw the one match where I intentionally flew through Stalking Flare, even though I missed you, to make sure it was rendered inert.

Yeah, it's awesome how fast it goes up. It made me able to play Phoenix on point in Vanilla easy. I would get Dark Phoenix in no time just superjumping and throwing out fireballs. The problem is that, because Dormammu's assists are so horrible, and I don't want to use Dormammu on point, I need a point character that can survive without assists. It's definitely a frustrating experience. I actually wish I could put Morrigan on point. I might mess with Rocket Raccoon on anchor today and see what Log Trap does for her Soul Fist walls, especially for comboing into Soul Drain.

Viewtiful Joe?
Wolverine and X-23 are pretty much why I won't use Dormammu on point. Ugh. What happens if you just jump back and j.H with Zero and cancel it into one of your command dashes to get space? I don't see how Nova would do better, since his startup movement is just as bad as Zero's. Wesker would make sense, though.

He gets air thrown by Wolverine :(.

Nova actually has SLIGHTLY better speed than Zero, especially if he's jumping backwards at the beginning of the match. Plus he can always air dash away.

Azure J

Man, that TAC Cherry Bomb trick has seriously got me thinking up some crazy new things. This is right after I decided I wanted to see what kinda stuff I can come up with using Scat Shot (forward guns/mash H) on the ground too. :lol

Dahbomb

Watching the FGTV house last night FChamp was talking character potential, and Wolverine came up, of course as we would all assume he was saying Wolverine is maxed out, Yipes happened to be in the chat and was adamant that Justin's new tech would hugely change his mind, whatever Justin found it must be some BS.
irLePEVRURi78.gif

Will he return?

955839.jpg

Also LOL @ this:
jiyunaJP
Japanese want the Trish infinite banned at EVO. #UMVC3

SHIT IS GETTING WAY TOO REAL!!!!

rexor0717

I really hope they don't ban the infinite. I haven't even seen it pulled off in a game yet. Plus, anything that makes Zero/Vergil look less awesome I'm all for. lol

mr. puppy

Banned
go to 3:42:00 in this video (http://www.twitch.tv/fgtvlive/b/322598091) and watch FChamp make a new tier list (what he thinks the end game one will be) and talk a lot of theory

also Karst he agrees with a lot of shit you say about dorm....he's not crazy godlike but hes good.

first thing they talk about, which i didn't even know, is you can tell what teleport Vergil is going to die by the blurring animation 0_0. also stuff about how to deal with zero from yipes, a lot of other things.

best line "combofiend is the only one that can make she-hulk cum"

Dahbomb

Fanatiq and Tokido in the same pool.

EVO can't come here fast enough. But is my body ready for it?

go to 3:42:00 in this video (http://www.twitch.tv/fgtvlive/b/322598091) and watch FChamp make a new tier list (what he thinks the end game one will be) and talk a lot of theory

also Karst he agrees with a lot of shit you say about dorm....he's not crazy godlike but hes good.

first thing they talk about, which i didn't even know, is you can tell what teleport Vergil is going to die by the blurring animation 0_0. also stuff about how to deal with zero from yipes, a lot of other things.
Thanks for that.

Even I didn't know that about Vergil but even if it's true it's really hard to scout it in the middle of the match while assists are cluttering up the screen. Even harder with something like Unibeam with blue on blue effects.

mr. puppy

Banned
goddamn its weird watching the pros talking about how much depth and balance this game has after they spent the first 5 months talking about how terrible it was

Azure J

Combofiend and Zak Benett are in the same pool. Same with OMGItzAndre and Richard Nyguen. Combing through for other notables as we speak.

@Frantic: Match start Dante is reminiscent to hard knockdown'd Makoto in 3S for me, DON'T PRESS BUTTONS.

mr. puppy

Banned
Fanatiq and Tokido in the same pool.

EVO can't come here fast enough. But is my body ready for it?

Thanks for that.

Even I didn't know that about Vergil but even if it's true it's really hard to scout it in the middle of the match while assists are cluttering up the screen. Even harder with something like Unibeam with blue on blue effects.

you need to watch the entire thing. its got a lot of current metagame things in it. are you still writing a big metagame post?

DR2K

Banned
I really hope they don't ban the infinite. I haven't even seen it pulled off in a game yet. Plus, anything that makes Zero/Vergil look less awesome I'm all for. lol

A Trish player did it on me, but dropped it a few days before this was discovered. I was like this TAC combo is taking forever, lol.

mr. puppy

Banned
evo prize pools:

• $25,000 Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition 2012
• $23,000 Mortal Kombat 9
• $15,000 Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
• $15,000 for Sega’s Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showndown event (BYOC event)
• $11,000 King of Fighters 13
&#8226; $9,000 Street Fighter X Tekken<-this game is having its last evo
&#8226; $5,000 Soul Calibur 5

Azure J

Holy shit pool K12 is the unluckiest one around. X-Ray, F. Champ & Dios X. It's like the single pool with the most killers thus far.

Edit: Predator vs. Nerdjosh as last match in pool K14. LOL Big Two matchups.

Dahbomb

God damn FChamp is 100% right and I never noticed it until now.

If the teleport animation has the blur being horizontal, then he is doing Teleport L (meaning he will be teleporting to the same side). If animation of the blur is vertical then he is doing teleport M (the cross up one).

This is some truly mind blowing shit.

Now the curious thing is that Vergil can still mix that up because his Teleport H has a vertical blur but he teleports above and in front so he can still mix that up if he picks that the other player knows about it. I think FChamp should've mentioned that. Still though in the current meta most Vergil players don't even use Teleport H that often except for Yipes (during Round Trip you can even make the Teleport H cross up with a particular timing) and this is a very useful visual cue to keep in mind provided you can scout it out in the middle of the match.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Max got Dr. Ray (the guy who blew himself up with Deadpool last year against MIKE ROSS), RDK, and Mr. Wizard.

I wonder who Mr. Wizard plays.

Dahbomb

My mind is already blown twice watching that FChamp stream.

Information is being dropped like crazy. It's a must watch for everyone interested in the future of Marvel.

Dahbomb

I don't know any player in that pool except you and GX. You never really know who's good, a lot of killers pop up at EVO plus it's going to be 2/3 in pools, rough ride in there.

Alright I saw that and it's basically a discussion of who has the most growth in the game. A lot of characters weren't even discussed much so it's not like a definitive things.

Top Tier in terms of characters with the most growth potential: Viper, Firebrand, Strider, MODOK, Jill, Magneto, Strange, Dante, Dormammu

High tier in terms of potential growth: Zero, X-23, Iron Man, Spider Man, Trish, Dr Doom, Morrigan, Amaterasu (unsure whether she was Top or High tier in growth)

Mid tier in terms of potential growth: Vergil, Wolverine (new tech was referred to), Hawkeye, Taskmaster, Akuma, Hulk, Spencer, Skrull

Low tier in terms of potential growth: Arthur, Frank West, Ryu, Wesker, Deadpool, Haggar

Maxed out: Nemesis, Sentinel, Ghost Rider

Bitch tier: She Hulk, Phoenix, Storm

Don't know shit about this character tier: Chris, Shuma, Hsien Ko

Not discussed at all tier: Thor, Nova, Phoenix Wright, Tron, Chun Li, Captain America, Joe, Rocket Raccoon, Iron Fist, Felicia

Wasn't really a definitive thing at all, most characters were just all over the place I am just talking about how they were discussing the characters and their general perception rather than their actual placements on the tier list.

kirblar

God damn FChamp is 100% right and I never noticed it until now.

If the teleport animation has the blur being horizontal, then he is doing Teleport L (meaning he will be teleporting to the same side). If animation of the blur is vertical then he is doing teleport M (the cross up one).

This is some truly mind blowing shit.

Now the curious thing is that Vergil can still mix that up because his Teleport H has a vertical blur but he teleports above and in front so he can still mix that up if he picks that the other player knows about it. I think FChamp should've mentioned that. Still though in the current meta most Vergil players don't even use Teleport H that often except for Yipes (during Round Trip you can even make the Teleport H cross up with a particular timing) and this is a very useful visual cue to keep in mind provided you can scout it out in the middle of the match.
And here's how to tell which side Rapid Slash is going to be on....

It's always going to cross you up. (until you can prove you can block it)

Dahbomb

Depends on what comes in between that time. A patch, new expansion or hell even a new Marvel game would mean we won't be playing Ultimate anymore. Marvel is pretty much a lock for next year but after that is anyone's guess.

The pool of death seems to be the Abegen, Roachking, ShadyK and Jan one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom