• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Wtf is a poochy?

And the mission 1 intro of dmc3 is godlike. You nukkas don't know...it doesn't get more "I am stylin on you" than that. Dante surf boards an enemy on to a pool table ramp and then proceeds to beat enemies by ricocheting his bullet off of mid air pool balls.

If that's not stylish then I don't have any idea what the word means anymore.

DR2K

Banned
Yeah the infinites need to be banned if they start becoming practical. It'll be all cool and hype for the first few weeks, but it'll get old as shit very soon.

shaowebb

Wtf is a poochy?

And the mission 1 intro of dmc3 is godlike. You nukkas don't know...it doesn't get more "I am stylin on you" than that. Dante surf boards an enemy on to a pool table ramp and then proceeds to beat enemies by ricocheting his bullet off of mid air pool balls.

If that's not stylish then I don't have any idea what the word means anymore.

This is Poochie

This character coined the term "Poochie" as synonymous for a character that tries too hard to be over the top extreme in order to appeal to younger demographics. Gene from Godhand didn't have this vibe with me as he cowered from Olivia, begged, and had some silliness and humility. Dante doesn't. Dante just wasn't for me due to this. I really worry new Dante is gonna turn into another Poochie for me from some of the trailers, but so far he seems to be far more toned downt than Dante was. I have a lot of doubts though. Still the world and combat looks great.

shaowebb

Uh ok. Agree to disagree then.

Like I said...I know Devil May Cry wasn't for me. I like combos and combat, but I prefer protagonists less self congratulatory. Lords of Shadow was pretty nice, but I would've liked less QTE kills and more bodies to tear through at times.

Wtf is a poochy?

4LYzl.gif

Poochie is the name of a character who debuted on an episode of The Simpsons. In the episode, ratings were down for the cartoon "Itchy and Scratchy." In response, network executives create Poochie in a clumsy attempt to pander to kids. In his first episode of The Itchy & Scratchy Show, Poochie sidetracks the plot to introduce himself by rapping about all of the reasons kids should just love him. The audience overwhelmingly hates Poochie and the focus being put on him. In the very next episode, the president crudely alters the cartoon himself to kill Poochie "on the way back to his home planet."

The episode was a jab at the IRL executives as well since they were actually serious about introducing a new character onto The Simpsons, and this episode put a stop to their efforts.

shaowebb

I love that this image is what people used to describe Bad Box Art Megaman doing his flight glitch in SFxTekken. People still refer to it as him flying away to his home planet in those vids.

If it means anything to the Devil May Cry fans I'm enough of a realistic opportunist to say that if I was ever in charge of Devil May Cry I wouldn't try to change his character. Its his and it has a following for its over the top extreme ways. It doesn't appeal to me personally, but I know that its just me. If anything I'd push him as over the top as possible in hopes of giving the fans what they wanted. Even though I'll be playing DmC and hoping to find it entertaining I know enough to say that I think its a slap in the face to the folks who should even care about this title. You don't reboot this differently with a character who is so iconic. If your bombing with sequels then you either failed to do a solid game or you were releasing too much too quick and burning people out on the character. In either case give the series a cool down over giving its roots this treatment.

I'll play it because I don't like Dante, but I know that there are more folks who liked old Dante than guys like me who didn't care much for him as a character. I'd rather bank on their money than mine. Like I said...I'm an opportunist who doesn't think you can dictate to your market what they should and shouldn't enjoy about a series.

EDIT: sigh...sidetracked again.

NIITSUMA AT EVO! CAPCOM WITH DISCUSSIONS ON FIGHTING GAME FRANCHISES AND THEIR FUTURE! INFINITES EVERYWHERE MESSING UP DA TIERS!
There. Back on topic.

Solune

time to bail.

lj0ZT.gif
Holy shit amazing hahaha.
No clue, but Shuma-Gorath is one of 5 characters who can TAC glitch someone in.

I'm not understanding why it upsets people significantly more than normal TACs.

I was talking about this in IRC and the infinites means new technology is being found, which is awesome. To me this doesn't necessarily mean an advancement in tactics or strategy though and discourages exploring other concepts. Why waste meter for a ToD, why pick an assist for combo extension, and most importantly why pick a character that doesn't have access to an infinite?

On The Break I didn't see much if any abuse of TAC infinites though, which is a good thing.

Bizazedo

Fun as hell tonight. Even got some good casuals in and one of the guys who drove w/me from Delaware knocked Marlin Pie out of losers (The She Hulk player from earlier in the stream, but he used Viper / Doom / Wolverine to do it after losing first match).

I think 645 mentioned it when discussing fighting Viscant, but now having played Chris G..he plays SO cleanly.

I had chances. I dropped a Zero combo (controller is mostly broken in now, happily, but still droppy) and even worse I overthought a situation.

I swore he'd DHC to the shadow blade out of the ground hyper from Morrigan since he DHC'd after I didand he didn't, he did AV. If I hadn't steered out with Nova assuming the blade he'd have lost Morrigan..!

But besides that..dude just knows when to attack. A couple of times in the first match it felt like "my turn" to go at him after he rushed me and he'd blunt it with an attack. I guess I might just not be used to Morrigan + his defense was so solid. Some of the air dashes / divekicks I was doing would hit a lot of people, not him.

Good shit, definitely overmatched, but didn't feel it was impossibly so.

Second guy, J Rose..good, decent human being. Couldn't hear the assist calls for shit when Strider came in due to the noise :(. Still would've lost anyways, probably, but had no idea when Strider was coming. Ah well. Tied for 7th or something.

I don't know if it's a good or bad thing, but due to the wheelchair, I can only play on the stream machine. So every embarrassing moment is captured. Yay lol.

Definitely getting used to it quickly, though.

On The Break I didn't see much if any abuse of TAC infinites though, which is a good thing.

Lot of discussion of them at the Break. I asked Noel about the Frank one and them in general and he was like "They're stupid shit, but I'm going to use them."

He tried telling us he was going to use that Dorm team that "I just started Saturday" at Evo, but don't think people believed him.

Holy shit amazing hahaha.

I was talking about this in IRC and the infinites means new technology is being found, which is awesome. To me this doesn't necessarily mean an advancement in tactics or strategy though and discourages exploring other concepts. Why waste meter for a ToD, why pick an assist for combo extension, and most importantly why pick a character that doesn't have access to an infinite?

It's new stuff. PR Balrog practiced Dante's infinite for like 30 minutes straight tonight. TACs in general harm game diversity.

I swore he'd DHC to the shadow blade out of the ground hyper from Morrigan since he DHC'd after I didand he didn't, he did AV. If I hadn't steered out with Nova assuming the blade he'd have lost Morrigan..!
Help me out with this situation. Was Nova in his Takedown hyper? Because if so, Shadow Servant is throwing out projectiles, it's not a physical attack. You can take that stuff down.

Second guy, J Rose..good, decent human being. Couldn't hear the assist calls for shit when Strider came in due to the noise :(. Still would've lost anyways, probably, but had no idea when Strider was coming. Ah well. Tied for 7th or something.
Headphones?

I don't know if it's a good or bad thing, but due to the wheelchair, I can only play on the stream machine. So every embarrassing moment is captured. Yay lol.

Definitely getting used to it quickly, though.
Everyone here cheers you on. I think it's cool to see you on the stream machine.

Lot of discussion of them at the Break. I asked Noel about the Frank one and them in general and he was like "They're stupid shit, but I'm going to use them."

He tried telling us he was going to use that Dorm team that "I just started Saturday" at Evo, but don't think people believed him.
His Dormammu needs a ton of work. Elementary mistakes all over the place. Evo is not the time to switch it up. If you're a tier 2 player, just enjoy getting top 32 at Evo with what you have. Especially a character like Dormammu, who is almost entirely matchup-knowledge based. Hidden Missiles dumbs it down a lot, though. It was funny to see him go back to Sentinel/Dormammu/Doom for a while. That was his release week team (and mine).

shaowebb

How in the hell are all these infinites spawning? What triggered them?

TAC's were discovered to have an odd property that amounted to a way that would lead you to being able to ignore hit stun stuff and that would trick the computer even if you dropped out of the air into thinkin you never had. Most require a specific TAC to get your opponent high enough for your incoming character to maintain or start their infinite but in two days we're over 20 characters with infinites.

EDIT: The vid that breaks down TAC infinites
Pic a dude, figure out how to get them up as high as possible, TAC and then figure out how to fall faster than them and hit a move right as you land so you can jump up without dropping them and restarting hit stun. Loop some moves to keep boppin them once you get a pattern that keeps them at a maintainable height seems to be the gist of things.

Solune

I think alot of people will be grinding out infinites to prep for EVO, and considering how many of them Noel goes for we're definitely gonna see some attempts at least.

I don't believe he'll be using the Dorm team, he MIGHT try to use it as a counterpick but we'll see.

Also good shit in your matches today, Marlin and Quotes complimenting your Zero/Nova reset which was awesome haha.

I didn't catch the play with the guy who knocked Marlin into losers, so he mains She-Hulk and Viper is his main team or vice versa?

Bizazedo

Help me out with this situation. Was Nova in his Takedown hyper? Because if so, Shadow Servant is throwing out projectiles, it's not a physical attack. You can take that stuff down.

He was and when I woke up this morning..

Well, here's the thing. I overthought it. He's not invincible to projectiles forever in the hyper (Killa Sasa actually figured out the best way to protect his Hawkeye if a Takedown is coming in is Scattershot since it takes so long for the projectiles to come down) and I've been knocked out by Okami Shuffle.

All of that is irrelevant, though, since in retrospect I was close enough to be okay, but I was just too amped / hyped and not thinking straight :(. In short, I was dumb.

Headphones?

Don't have any and don't know how to set them up. Due to Muscular Dystrophy and my slightly messed up hands, I kind of wanted to avoid having something else I'd need help setting up. I might think about it now, though, since I was so lost for Strider assist calls.

I also realized I use sound more than I think for incoming mixups last night. If you combo someone, their next character generally won't come in til the announcer finishes saying CRAZY or something (or at least while the announcer is speaking), so that's my cue to call an assist. Oops.

His Dormammu needs a ton of work. Elementary mistakes all over the place. Evo is not the time to switch it up. If you're a tier 2 player, just enjoy getting top 32 at Evo with what you have. Especially a character like Dormammu, who is almost entirely matchup-knowledge based. Hidden Missiles dumbs it down a lot, though. It was funny to see him go back to Sentinel/Dormammu/Doom for a while. That was his release week team (and mine).

Yeah. I wanted to play Noel, Marlin, or Josh (I've played Josh at tournaments I've run before, though, so all good there). My worst match up I knew would be the Morrigan teams.

Bad luck for me :).

Also good shit in your matches today, Marlin and Quotes complimenting your Zero/Nova reset which was awesome haha.

I didn't catch the play with the guy who knocked Marlin into losers, so he mains She-Hulk and Viper is his main team or vice versa?

I'll have to check out the archive or youtube, know which match that was?

Marlin's first loss was too..Flucked? The dude playing Zero May Cry. So he fell from winners to losers versus a Zero / Dante / Vergil team.

My buddy (Boog, who had an epic fight vs AG Felax he SHOULD have won, but fucked up..it was crazy hype though) took him out in losers. First match Boog lost using his primary team of She Hulk / Doom / Wolverine. Boog won fights #2 and #3 using Viper / Doom / Wolverine. He just started using Viper a week or two ago.

He managed to block / counter both Marlin's entry game and his THC. Was a pretty epic fight. Wish it had been on stream.

I was proud of him. One of the biggest buzzes of the night was everyone agape at how deadly anchor Wolverine was + how his berserker claw assist is actually good (something those who've played Boog know already, but eh).

LakeEarth

How in the hell are all these infinites spawning? What triggered them?

It's already been answered but basically this: We were told that when you TAC, there is no hitstun scaling until you hit the ground. This is apparently not true. You can hit the ground and jump back up. As long as all your hits are jumping attacks, the combo keeps going.

He was and when I woke up this morning..

Well, here's the thing. I overthought it. He's not invincible to projectiles forever in the hyper (Killa Sasa actually figured out the best way to protect his Hawkeye if a Takedown is coming in is Scattershot since it takes so long for the projectiles to come down) and I've been knocked out by Okami Shuffle.

All of that is irrelevant, though, since in retrospect I was close enough to be okay, but I was just too amped / hyped and not thinking straight :(. In short, I was dumb.

Don't have any and don't know how to set them up. Due to Muscular Dystrophy and my slightly messed up hands, I kind of wanted to avoid having something else I'd need help setting up. I might think about it now, though, since I was so lost for Strider assist calls.

I also realized I use sound more than I think for incoming mixups last night. If you combo someone, their next character generally won't come in til the announcer finishes saying CRAZY or something (or at least while the announcer is speaking), so that's my cue to call an assist. Oops.

Yeah. I wanted to play Noel, Marlin, or Josh (I've played Josh at tournaments I've run before, though, so all good there). My worst match up I knew would be the Morrigan teams.

Bad luck for me :).

Marlin's first loss was too..Flucked? The dude playing Zero May Cry. So he fell from winners to losers versus a Zero / Dante / Vergil team.

My buddy (Boog, who had an epic fight vs AG Felax he SHOULD have won, but fucked up..it was crazy hype though) took him out in losers. First match Boog lost using his primary team of She Hulk / Doom / Wolverine. Boog won fights #2 and #3 using Viper / Doom / Wolverine. He just started using Viper a week or two ago.

He managed to block / counter both Marlin's entry game and his THC. Was a pretty epic fight. Wish it had been on stream.

I was proud of him. One of the biggest buzzes of the night was everyone agape at how deadly anchor Wolverine was + how his berserker claw assist is actually good (something those who've played Boog know already, but eh).

Flux aka the guy that 3-0'ed me on stream at ECT :(

there an archive of this stream?

rocK`

Banned
if this was anything like early 2000s, I wouldn't be shocked to know that top players knew this before (especially someone like Desk, not a top player, but knows the system in and out, this seems like an easy find) and didn't release it to the public. Perhaps it got leaked, or someone found it in parallel on accident.

Much like when Justin (?) got keeper-jin'd for the first time in Evo, shit was hype.

edit:

could you imagine the first person who would have busted a TAC infinite out on EVO stream? that would have caused the stream to go down, no probs

Dahbomb

Anchor Wolverine is no joke.

There is still more tech that is discovered by the pro. Everyone is too distracted to know that Justin and Chou already have other tech up their sleeve. I still want to see that Wolverine tech that might change his spot on the tier lists according to Yipes.

Bizazedo

It's already been answered but basically this: We were told that when you TAC, there is no hitstun scaling until you hit the ground. This is apparently not true. You can hit the ground and jump back up. As long as all your hits are jumping attacks, the combo keeps going.

Well..

I was toying with the Nova infinite last night. I think it's character specific (Akuma slowly started descending, I think he'll fall out after so many reps whereas it was fairly easy to keep it going on Vergil).

Then again, I could just be ass.

But, it also seemed like it had a lot to do with how low to the ground you hit them in the loop. If I hit them too high, the hitstun scaling did kick in when I hit the ground. If I did it low enough, it didn't, but the trick was to get low enough and still be able to loop.

That's what it felt like after an hour of toying with it, anyways.

Flux aka the guy that 3-0'ed me on stream at ECT :(

there an archive of this stream?

Probably, but it goes up on Youtube eventually, to. There were a lot of hype matches. Check out Boog vs AG Felax.

Also if it's any consolation, my buddy Boog also destroyed Flux in casuals. Flux gets salty QUICK. Not with the opposing player, but just at the loss.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I thought it was generally understood that the trick behind the infinite is "fooling" the game mechanics into thinking you haven't landed post-TAC. The way this is done is by hitting the opponent juuuuust before you land, so that you can immediately jump again to perform another hit and continue the juggle. This is easier to time with some characters than others (faster, multihitting normals, using flight mode, airdashing etc.)

Solune

I think it was one of the matches against CCI Disciple or J Rosa, sorry I didn't keep track well.

Hmm damn I really want to see his team synergy especially the Berserk Slash assist, I figure Tornado Claw would be the go to. Also would love to see another She-Hulk user.

Dahbomb

All you people who thought Marvel wasn't going to get patched can EAT IT!!!!

I am a FUCKING GOD! - Mundus, DmC

Sephi am cry etc.

Does that mean Dahmbomb wins his bet if we get a patch taking out the infinites?
Of course I win, a patch is a patch.

I hope people will start putting more thought behind Capcom's words (especially PR people) from now on rather than taking their word for it. I never believed for one instance that Capcom was "done" with Marvel and that no patch was ever coming. Your own common sense > Capcom's word.

ceryan

Banned
I never believed for one instance that Capcom was "done" with Marvel and that no patch was ever coming.

Having one or two guys go back to fix a glitch while the rest of the team is working on something new doesn't really change the fact that Capcom's "done" with MvC3, though. There aren't going to be any intentional balance changes or anything like that.

Dahbomb

Glitch patch =/= balance patch
Bull shit, a patch is a patch. Any change to Marvel between now and EVO 2013, I win the bet. Also the previous "glitch" patch had some legitimate balance changes in it as well.

Had these Tac glitches not been discovered (And especially discovered a week b4 evo) we wouldnt be getting a patch.
Could've, would've should've... didn't. If not this glitch then some other glitch would've been discovered and prompted a Capcom response.

Ugh, why did you quote that garbage?
I was feeling myself just like Mundus is feeling himself in DmC.

Having one or two guys go back to fix a glitch while the rest of the team is working on something new doesn't really change the fact that Capcom's "done" with MvC3, though. There aren't going to be any intentional balance changes or anything like that.
You wanna bet on that? I wouldn't completely rule out some balance changes either between now and EVO 2013. You never really know.

Ok guys REAL TALK now...

Do we seriously expect this patch to be implemented before EVO? Isn't there a time limit before a patch is approved? I am not even sure I want this patched before EVO, I say let it rock and then patch it after EVO. I would be fine either way honestly but I still want to see some infinites on the big screen just for the hype.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There is zero possibility the patch will be implemented before EVO. Zero. That's not even up for contention.

Regathering a team or fragments of a team, isolating the issue, testing it internally, submitting it to MS and Sony cert all whole Niitsuma is heading out to EVO himself in the coming week?

Zero chance. Cert alone for MS can take up to a month alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom