• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinite

Yup! Good way to level 3 with Trish if you need it.

Tobe, you could also try using Peekaboo assist to let ou Seismo spam safely.

maasagif.gif

I would prefer Peekaboo to Low Voltage on that team. Needs that neutral game assist

EDIT: I meant the reverse

Why are infinites so much more upsetting to people than the Vanilla DHC glitch? There was a mixed reception to those IIRC, but infinites are causing an uproar.

Nyoro SF

Why are infinites so much more upsetting to people than the Vanilla DHC glitch? There was a mixed reception to those IIRC, but infinites are causing an uproar.

I think it's because DHC glitches didn't dictate the game. I guess people fear that the infinites will cause massive one-sided gameplay routes like meter building for Phoenix and Vergil and whatnot; essentially creating a top to down tier list of who can use meter best.

Not that this will actually happen, of course.

http://latino-review.com/2012/06/28/exclusive-marvels-2014-movie-revealed/

Even though they used the wrong Guardians of the Galaxy. I think we got our reason for RR and Nova. Also, this site has been right about MCU in the past.

YES

FURRY PICTURE TIME...wait that sounds very wrong. Uh... I'll have to think of a better name for it later.
tumblr_m5max6tYn91qcv9zpo1_500.jpg

(Source of pic)

It makes sense, the Guardians will be there in Avengers 2 because there's no fucking way the current Avengers can beat Thanos, MUCH less if the Infinity Gauntlet is more than just an easter egg in Thor.

@Panda: agreed.

I think it's because DHC glitches didn't dictate the game. I guess people fear that the infinites will cause massive one-sided gameplay routes like meter building for Phoenix and Vergil and whatnot; essentially creating a top to down tier list of who can use meter best.

Not that this will actually happen, of course.
That's exactly what the DHC glitch did, though. People started organizing their entire team around the glitch, further cementing the top tier.

Bizazedo

Perception. Whether it is or not doesn't matter, but an infinite is perceived as "easier" than a ToD combo. Even if it's not. As such, people have an almost ingrained hatred of it.

Probably stems to things like Killer Instinct where the infinites WERE easy.

SmokeMaxX

My hunch is that making the missiles disappear if Doom gets hit is asking too much. That's a long time to cover an assist, and you're basically guaranteeing that the only characters who will be able to use it at all are teleporters. Sentinel Force goes away if Sentinel gets hit, but Sentinel Force also has a screen presence very quickly. If you do Sentinel Force + EMD at the same time, Sentinel Force is pretty much out there and protecting itself. Not so with Hidden Missiles.

I think it's more reasonable to give Hidden Missiles a longer startup time. My problem with the assist isn't its persistence, but that it's almost impossible to hit Doom before he gets at least 1 missile off. So, I suggest that Doom does a little taunt (he's Doom!) before it goes off. This means you have to protect the assist, but it's still really good.
the big differences being that doom protects itself from teleporters with its homing, protects itself from hypers with its vertical trajectory and that it forces people to the ground where they are most vulnerable. People can super jump or teleport around drones or can hyper it on reaction

Let's face it. One of the worst feelings is that you hit that Doom assist thinking you got away with it, only to be hit by that back missile... then you get combo'ed to death.

Infinite

alright guys, how do you all think Zak Bennett is going to do at the FGTV house? Any chance against FChamp?

Firebrand is gonna surprise some of them initially. I'm expected him to level up immensely though.

Infinites have the potential to worse than DHC glitch since you're meter positive for the duration of the loop. A DHC glitch requires you spend 2 meters in most cases.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The thing about the DHC glitch is that you were still spending 2 bars for a kill. That's something most good teams should be able to do anyway.

LakeEarth

The thing about the DHC glitch is that you were still spending 2 bars for a kill. That's something most good teams should be able to do anyway.

True, but goddamn was it easy. I had a Spencer/Wesker team, and I could kill with the simplest ABC combos, OTG assist into DHC glitch, then down gunshot into yet another ABC combo.

Grecco

PR Rog, Jwong, and Viscant werent abusing the DHC glitch and they were top 3 at Evo. I think Rog could do it in his team though Dante/Wolverine/Tron

and comparing that to the Tac glitch, the Tac glitch can potentially be worse because it will be just Doom/Amy or X23 teams imo.

Dahbomb

Only X ray out of the top 8 really used the DHC glitch.

I don't expect infinites to impact EVO just like DHC glitch didn't impact EVO that much. DHC glitch was available MUCH longer than the infinites and people actually had some tournament practice with it. I expect people who even use the infinite to drop it in a tense match. Only 3 players I expect to be using the infinites regularly and efficiently: FChamp, Fanatiq and MarlinPie.

We are quite a ways from there being Doom + Ammy and X-23 (or their equivalent) on every team. Also incoming patch.

Zak Bennet hype: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2sNXBD1rXo&feature=player_embedded

DHC glitch was guaranteed with the meter.

These infinites are not that serious, they will just be another thing people implement into their games.

Not to say that it wont have an effect on team composition or character tier placements, because it will, but not in a HUGE way. Neither Wesker, nor Vergil or Zero have infintes (yet?) but they will still be top characters.

On an unrelated note earlier one of the guys I did manage to beat was running a Phoenix Wright team. The thing was I only killed him due to Taskmaster getting lucky and getting an OCV. He threw out drones and an objection at the same time hoping to catch me and I arrow/xfactor arrow got them. After that I just managed to squeak past using xfactor and tasky to get through. Xfactor happy birthday was not a legit win...

He ran a team of Sentinel/Phoenix Wright/Nova/After looking online I found a vid of some of what he did and after seeing the rest of what he COULD have done I feel like I got off reaaaaally lucky.
Phoenix Wright synergy

Finding out that Maya shield plus drone assist is a fair answer to teleporters messing with evidence draws AND to anyone killing Sent assist is really cool and the amount of time Sent buys Phoenix off HSF to search is really crazy. Nova barrier is also really good backup here and it bought the guy I played a bigger safe zone as he was sort of in between both during evidence fishing. I couldn't hurt Sent once Phoenix was in. Maya shield kept him safe long enough to pop and get out. Dude killed Arthur and Iron Fist free.

OBJECTION!!!

While I agree with your post completely and I think Sentinel and Nova are great partners for Wright., I do NOT agree with almost that entire video. I think Nova is great partner but I don't think the shield assist is a good choice. Wright has a shield adding another one makes it a little harder to get around but it does nothing to aid to his immediate defense or extend combos or create mixups. The overhead assist would be MUCH better.

The video saying Wright and Sentinel are BFFs is wrong. Before I explain let me say that Sentinel is a great partner for Wright and Drones is an amazing assist too.

However.......(Slaps paper with hands)]

Exhibit A: Claiming drones great because Maya shiel d can protect it from oncoming attacks is true but the same can be said for ALL assists. What about Taskmasters arrows? They can be used to the same effect. Does that make Taskmaster and Wright BFFs? All you have to do is call Maya and dash forward then call your assist. Your assist is now safe, but now Wright is not. So your choices now are get hit / block the incoming attack and let your assist continue or go on the attack but keep in mind a few seconds have passed since this process has started and your opponent will be doing something.

Exhibit B: DHCing into Wright Maya Super from a Hyper Sentinal Force then putting up a shield and calling the other assist to buy time to gather evidence. A lot of team combinations can do this set up and a lot of team combinations can do it better. This is nothing special that only Sentinel and Nova can do. Hell if you wanna go the DHC to gather evidence tactic just pick Tron or Dante. Lunch time or Million Dollars by themselves buys enough time to pick up three pieces of evidence wave dash and land an Objection with just a single DHC.

Exhibit C: Drones will save you from Teleporters. Only if the timing is extremely precise and it is hard to do on reaction. There are better Anti-Teleport Assists. Some examples are Hulk Gamma charge, She-Hulk Torpedo, Haggar Lariat, Strider Vajera and Vergils dash assist to name a few. You want to use either a instant invulnerable assist with it's cool down time after the attack animation is finished or an assist that travels behind you from start with a forward momentum as opposed to an assist that has the character jump in first, preform the attack and then jump back.

Also another tactic to teleporters is if you think someone is going to teleport behind you can use Maya M/H. It is completely invincible and it starts from behind so if your opponent try to hit you he will be hit out of his combo / approach.

Exhibit D: Sentinel can combo off a Tournabout Press the Witness assist. Any character can combo off a wallbounce. If you are trying to combo off a PtW assist you are using that assist WRONG! Since the invincibility was patched out PtW is EXTREMELY Vulnerable! Wright might as well say "Hit me, Hit me, Hit me!" PtW should be used as a lockdown assist like Ami's cold star. It needs to be used either in the corner or during up close block strings. PtW during TB has insane chip damage and lasts for a healthy amount of time. Chip your oppenent from a block string and proceed to jump over your opponent or go for a mix up.

Exhibit E: The Hard Tag exchange into Ace Attorney. It's flashy and cool I'll give you that but why do this. If you have to do a wall bounce then the hard tag in to make it work it's dumb. Just do an B&B wall bounce combo then DHC into Wright. That right there will do more damage then the Lvl3 alone.

IMO The lvl3 should only be done if it is used as a true counter that will KILL the character, punish a full screen attack that will KILL the character or X-Factored to KILL a full health character. Order in the court has more invincibility and when DHC into another charcter usually does more damage than a lone AA.

mr. puppy

Banned
just watched ABEGEN from that japanese tournament a couple of weeks ago...i didn't realize his final was against morrigan/wesker/strider. he has so much health that he can deal with the chip and just rush like a maniac at them and if the other guy makes a mistake in his zoning he loses

also big difference i see between him and other rushdown teams: he always TODs

Dahbomb

just watched ABEGEN from that japanese tournament a couple of weeks ago...i didn't realize his final was against morrigan/wesker/strider. he has so much health that he can deal with the chip and just rush like a maniac at them and if the other guy makes a mistake in his zoning he loses
Big difference between rushing down a Morrigan with Strider vs a Morrigan with Hidden Missiles and potential Akuma Tatsu.

Although I do agree, this is definitely an example of a situation where high healths comes handy. You get more chances to create an opening although I would just much rather have better tools to deal with it. Thor is really his best character when it comes to getting on Morrigan style teams thanks to Mighty Strike.

Solune

gr5n8.png

There's good, and then there's "this is so good that it wouldn't really be possible to bring other characters to this level because it's so good". Why choose Tron Bonne when you can play a teleporter with a 1-frame command throw that leads into full combos. What could you even GIVE Tron to make her a worthwhile pick over such a character?

That's the perspective I come at it from. Hidden Missiles isn't too bad, but if it stays the way it is then a lot of other assists (basically the whole game) needs to be brought to its level. Can you think of how to bring the other 49 characters to Hidden Missiles levels of power? I can't. It makes more sense to just drop HM down a bit.

I don't look at whether a character is "too good", just whether an aspect of the character is. So if Doom gets Hidden Missiles nerfed, I'm fine with Doom getting buffs elsewhere. I'm not upset with the character, just Hidden Missiles.
I can't really compare Tron to Wesker since they are different archetypes but Tron also has access to some shenanigans Wesker doesn't, one of them as that shes one of the few characters that can loop supers til death. I won't say that I'm the best balancer or most knowledgeable in character balancing but perhaps giving Tron back her vanilla J.H would be appropriate. Increasing her damage now might not really be an answer considering her loops.

In terms of "that" character having something which is above everyone else, I still don't have any qualms because that's a part of games in general. Doom missiles also makes him unique on an otherwise tri-dasher with stubby normals. I don't think that we have to bring everyone up to par but everyone should be viable and instead of bringing people down to a playing field, elevating characters in fields where they are powerful already or strengthening their weaknesses is a better answer IMO. That way their strengths offset tools they don't have, although it's idealisitc just my point of view.
I feel like Chris G would get punched a lot if he was able to do this in Marvel 2.

Marvel 2 still has more bullshit than Marvel 3, AHVB being a key factor. I'll take Morrigan lame play over Santhrax anyday. Guard Breaks are also more stupid because you eat a whole combo where as Marvel 3 requires a throw.

Dahbomb

Infinites make TAC much stronger and viable now. Hence more guessing games involved and more meter momentum swings. It's just lame all around.

Also infinites get everyone salty, you can hear the balls pucker up when someone in the FGC hears it.

I don't really mind the infinites from a balance point of view (though I would lean towards getting rid of them). I don't think it will affect me much and I don't see a lot of people online abusing them, but I think it will make the game extremely boring to watch at high levels if that's what the game turns into.

That's another big reason why the DHC glitch wasn't as hated. Yeah, you could TOD pretty much any character extremely easy, but from a spectator's perspective it's the same to watch a DHC combo as any normal combo.

Also, if I got TOD'd with a DHC glitch, it doesn't take away my control of the game for 25 game seconds like an infinite does. It's over relatively quickly and then I continue with my next character.

Azure J

Care to share?

It's a straight mind game trap with the easiest flowchart ever:

DHC to Thor Mighty Grab (sorry I don't know the name for this)

Did they try to jump away?

Yes - DHC to SheHulk AA grab for dat Real Gamma Radiated Damage
No - Thor grabs for dat Real Asgardian Damage

Odinson

It's a straight mind game trap with the easiest flowchart ever:

DHC to Thor Mighty Grab (sorry I don't know the name for this)

Did they try to jump away?

Yes - DHC to SheHulk AA grab for dat Real Gamma Radiated Damage
No - Thor grabs for dat Real Asgardian Damage

Ah ok...Thanks! I've been looking for a third for this team. Currently running taskmaster. Tried Vergil but he doesn't really fit.

Azure J

You know guys, I think Dante players should really invest in learning j.S after Volcanoes. I'm messing with my Dante/Dorm/Magnus team and I'm pretty damn surprised to see myself getting within spitting distance of Frantic's Dante/Strider BnB without a ground bounce and using Dark Hole assist of all things. Notation is as such:

Standing Series - (L)MH - Stinger - Volcano - j.S (tight link here) - Call Assist (Dark Hole) - Million Carats - [s.S - Clay Pigeon 8 shots] x 3 (I think you can get 4 but don't over exert yourself) - Stinger Lvl. 2 - [Bold Cancelled Teleport if you aren't near a corner] - Hammer - [Volcano xx Beehive] x 2 xx Million Dollars

Jump In Series - j.M or j.H - H - Stinger - Volcano - j.S (tight link here) - Call Assist (Dark Hole) - Million Carats - [s.S - Clay Pigeon 8 shots] x 3 (I think you can get 4 but don't over exert yourself) - Stinger Lvl. 2 - [Bold Cancelled Teleport if you aren't near a corner] - Hammer - [Volcano xx Beehive] x 2 xx Million Dollars

j.S or Hammer confirm - j.S/Hammer - Volcano - j.S (tight link here) - Call Assist (Dark Hole) - Million Carats - [s.S - Clay Pigeon 8 shots] x 3 (I think you can get 4 but don't over exert yourself) - Stinger Lvl. 2 - [Bold Cancelled Teleport if you aren't near a corner] - Hammer - [Volcano xx Beehive] x 2 xx Million Dollars

I've really started to play with breaking down the Dante BnBs and hope to find something different and viable for all teams soon. Wish me luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom