• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Reorganized and edited OP again to make the most useful information most esaily accessible. Added Karst's Google Docs spreadsheet, among other tiny things here and there.

Man, at the time the big glowing X-Factor thing was such a big deal and complaint so I went all out trying to make those banners as obnoxious as possible. But they take up so much space goddamn. :lol

For Dahbomb
kirayamato441340933815.jpg

https://ssl.square-enix-shop.com/Sq...on?productId=1476&sid=1340959788591983NSmj2GW

So I had a dream that I was in Miami and I beat Yipes in a FT5 money match alternating teams every time I lost, one of which was Magneto/Superman/Thanos/Green Arrow/Phoenix. In the middle of the match, he gets up to go watch the God of War movie in 3D, so I go to the airport to pick up my package which is a computer, and it starts raining indoors. For some reason I kept claiming that I had never played Marvel before, and no matter which team I had I could yell out Log Trap in real life and it would just show up in game and hit every time, pissing off Yipes. And my Magneto was the Marvel 2 sprite and I would go for resets like every hit, and would just change into different characters without tagging like SF2 rainbow edition.

Dahbomb

Incoming FChamp new tier list where he puts Firebrand up a bit.

GUYS YOU NEED TO SEE THAT VIDEO AT THE START OF THAT ARCHIVE!!!! OMFG I AM LAUGHING MY ASS OFF HERE!!!!!!

Mike "Its Just A Hat" Ross new meme incoming

So I'm messing about with UMvC3 training mode in "Lowest" damage setting. Man does it scale back the damage of long combos!

I wonder if people would consider testing out that mode to see how it stacks vs the current TOD meta.

Dahbomb

So I'm messing about with UMvC3 training mode in "Lowest" damage setting. Man does it scale back the damage of long combos!

I wonder if people would consider testing out that mode to see how it stacks vs the current TOD meta.
The current TOD meta keeps a lot of characters viable. Imagine a meta where Zero still TODs most of the viable top cast as they are already low health yet someone like Storm has to hit him 2 to 3 times to finish him off. Or imagine if someone like Nemesis couldn't TOD but someone like Spencer still could. Right now the meta makes it so that a lot of mid tier characters are viable because they are within the TOD range, the top tiers are just overkill in terms of damage meaning if you scale back the damage the mid tiers will be hurt more and it will be business as usual.

With lowered damage it would put the emphasis back on characters who consistently get hits and have better mix ups. It greatly nullifies the threat of characters who don't get many hits in but when they do you most likely die (like let's say Tron on Abegen's team).

Perception. Whether it is or not doesn't matter, but an infinite is perceived as "easier" than a ToD combo. Even if it's not. As such, people have an almost ingrained hatred of it.

Probably stems to things like Killer Instinct where the infinites WERE easy.
Killer Instinct had the C-c-combo BREAKER though! I always did short 3-hit combos in that game just for that reason.

the big differences being that doom protects itself from teleporters with its homing, protects itself from hypers with its vertical trajectory and that it forces people to the ground where they are most vulnerable. People can super jump or teleport around drones or can hyper it on reaction
I agree on all accounts, but it doesn't help if they disappear if he gets hit.

cant extend viper bnb with peekaboo :/
Then extend it a little less - Trish would be your point character anyway.

OBJECTION!!!

While I agree with your post completely and I think Sentinel and Nova are great partners for Wright., I do NOT agree with almost that entire video. I think Nova is great partner but I don't think the shield assist is a good choice. Wright has a shield adding another one makes it a little harder to get around but it does nothing to aid to his immediate defense or extend combos or create mixups. The overhead assist would be MUCH better.

The video saying Wright and Sentinel are BFFs is wrong. Before I explain let me say that Sentinel is a great partner for Wright and Drones is an amazing assist too.

However.......(Slaps paper with hands)]

Exhibit A: Claiming drones great because Maya shiel d can protect it from oncoming attacks is true but the same can be said for ALL assists. What about Taskmasters arrows? They can be used to the same effect. Does that make Taskmaster and Wright BFFs? All you have to do is call Maya and dash forward then call your assist. Your assist is now safe, but now Wright is not. So your choices now are get hit / block the incoming attack and let your assist continue or go on the attack but keep in mind a few seconds have passed since this process has started and your opponent will be doing something.

Exhibit B: DHCing into Wright Maya Super from a Hyper Sentinal Force then putting up a shield and calling the other assist to buy time to gather evidence. A lot of team combinations can do this set up and a lot of team combinations can do it better. This is nothing special that only Sentinel and Nova can do. Hell if you wanna go the DHC to gather evidence tactic just pick Tron or Dante. Lunch time or Million Dollars by themselves buys enough time to pick up three pieces of evidence wave dash and land an Objection with just a single DHC.

Exhibit C: Drones will save you from Teleporters. Only if the timing is extremely precise and it is hard to do on reaction. There are better Anti-Teleport Assists. Some examples are Hulk Gamma charge, She-Hulk Torpedo, Haggar Lariat, Strider Vajera and Vergils dash assist to name a few. You want to use either a instant invulnerable assist with it's cool down time after the attack animation is finished or an assist that travels behind you from start with a forward momentum as opposed to an assist that has the character jump in first, preform the attack and then jump back.

Also another tactic to teleporters is if you think someone is going to teleport behind you can use Maya M/H. It is completely invincible and it starts from behind so if your opponent try to hit you he will be hit out of his combo / approach.

Exhibit D: Sentinel can combo off a Tournabout Press the Witness assist. Any character can combo off a wallbounce. If you are trying to combo off a PtW assist you are using that assist WRONG! Since the invincibility was patched out PtW is EXTREMELY Vulnerable! Wright might as well say "Hit me, Hit me, Hit me!" PtW should be used as a lockdown assist like Ami's cold star. It needs to be used either in the corner or during up close block strings. PtW during TB has insane chip damage and lasts for a healthy amount of time. Chip your oppenent from a block string and proceed to jump over your opponent or go for a mix up.

Exhibit E: The Hard Tag exchange into Ace Attorney. It's flashy and cool I'll give you that but why do this. If you have to do a wall bounce then the hard tag in to make it work it's dumb. Just do an B&B wall bounce combo then DHC into Wright. That right there will do more damage then the Lvl3 alone.

IMO The lvl3 should only be done if it is used as a true counter that will KILL the character, punish a full screen attack that will KILL the character or X-Factored to KILL a full health character. Order in the court has more invincibility and when DHC into another charcter usually does more damage than a lone AA.
So good. You should take the time to play more folks here.

So the villain is going to be Dormammu? That would be omega hype if true.
Will watch if true.

I can't really compare Tron to Wesker since they are different archetypes but Tron also has access to some shenanigans Wesker doesn't, one of them as that shes one of the few characters that can loop supers til death. I won't say that I'm the best balancer or most knowledgeable in character balancing but perhaps giving Tron back her vanilla J.H would be appropriate. Increasing her damage now might not really be an answer considering her loops.

In terms of "that" character having something which is above everyone else, I still don't have any qualms because that's a part of games in general. Doom missiles also makes him unique on an otherwise tri-dasher with stubby normals. I don't think that we have to bring everyone up to par but everyone should be viable and instead of bringing people down to a playing field, elevating characters in fields where they are powerful already or strengthening their weaknesses is a better answer IMO. That way their strengths offset tools they don't have, although it's idealisitc just my point of view.
Tron can loop supers until death, but I'm talking more about a character's ability to open people up. If you can't do that, nothing else matters.

I'm not saying that other characters need Hidden Missiles, and I think we both know he has great normals (just bad mobility). But ask yourself: if every other character had an assist on par with Hidden Missiles, what would it look like? Tracking Purification wouldn't even be as good as Hidden Missiles.

Spiral's sword trap in MvC2 was just as bad as bullet hell.
And way, way easier. I ran Spiral sometimes, and I churned people down basically just by mashing buttons with occasional hcb motions.

So Capcom must have finally traded someone for Shuma.

Tvhui.jpg
Looks more like a classic Beholder to me.

The female faces scare me.

Reorganized and edited OP again to make the most useful information most esaily accessible. Added Karst's Google Docs spreadsheet, among other tiny things here and there.
Thanks!

oh god zak bennett ran a train on the FGTV house. he even perfected fchamp. go to like 17:30 here for when he startys: http://www.twitch.tv/fgtvlive/b/322979331
So sad I missed this. Watching now.

Damn you karst! Zak Bennet Chaotic Flamed a blocked EMD

D:
HAHAHAHAHAHA, IT HAS BEGUN!

Dahbomb

i'm really not seeing any pros using these infinites...
Not enough time to incorporate it into your game for EVO. People want to stick to their BnBs. Infinites will only really become a problem after EVO.

LMAO @ that CJ vs Zak Bennet set. There are no words......

Azure J

Why would they? It's pre-EVO, there isn't enough time to invest in something this whose risk:reward hasn't even been completely thought out for most player's styles and teams.

Edit: Timestamp for the CJ vs. Zak, Dah?

Anth0ny

Zak Bennet is really good. Awesome Firebrand setups.

I'm sure people will have awesome, new technology for random characters like that at Evo.

Dahbomb

17th hour is when he starts playing, it goes Neo then CJ set against Zak. Also the Chaos Tide troll is at around 19:58.

During the entire time Fanatiq is glued to the TV and analyzing every movement, tech and mix up of Zak. Anytime Firebrand does the instant overhead he just shakes his head, he knows that shit is scary!

Bennet tried to do even the very first part of Dormammu's a few times and couldn't pull it off (it's the same movement as his Firebrand setup off of a side TAC in corners). It's just really hard for some characters.

17th hour is when he starts playing, it goes Neo then CJ set against Zak. Also the Chaos Tide troll is at around 19:58.

During the entire time Fanatiq is glued to the TV and analyzing every movement, tech and mix up of Zak. Anytime Firebrand does the instant overhead he just shakes his head, he knows that shit is scary!
Firebrand should be able to combo off of his instant overhead solo like Wolverine can! :p

You know guys, I think Dante players should really invest in learning j.S after Volcanoes. I'm messing with my Dante/Dorm/Magnus team and I'm pretty damn surprised to see myself getting within spitting distance of Frantic's Dante/Strider BnB without a ground bounce and using Dark Hole assist of all things. Notation is as such:

Standing Series - (L)MH - Stinger - Volcano - j.S (tight link here) - Call Assist (Dark Hole) - Million Carats - [s.S - Clay Pigeon 8 shots] x 3 (I think you can get 4 but don't over exert yourself) - Stinger Lvl. 2 - [Bold Cancelled Teleport if you aren't near a corner] - Hammer - [Volcano xx Beehive] x 2 xx Million Dollars

Jump In Series - j.M or j.H - H - Stinger - Volcano - j.S (tight link here) - Call Assist (Dark Hole) - Million Carats - [s.S - Clay Pigeon 8 shots] x 3 (I think you can get 4 but don't over exert yourself) - Stinger Lvl. 2 - [Bold Cancelled Teleport if you aren't near a corner] - Hammer - [Volcano xx Beehive] x 2 xx Million Dollars

j.S or Hammer confirm - j.S/Hammer - Volcano - j.S (tight link here) - Call Assist (Dark Hole) - Million Carats - [s.S - Clay Pigeon 8 shots] x 3 (I think you can get 4 but don't over exert yourself) - Stinger Lvl. 2 - [Bold Cancelled Teleport if you aren't near a corner] - Hammer - [Volcano xx Beehive] x 2 xx Million Dollars

I've really started to play with breaking down the Dante BnBs and hope to find something different and viable for all teams soon. Wish me luck.

Man I've always tried to do volcano -> j.S but that shit is so inconsistent for me.

BTW, you play on PSN or Xbox?

Dahbomb

Firebrand should be able to combo off of his instant overhead solo like Wolverine can! :p
Wolverine can't solo combo off of his instant overhead without an assist, X factor or Berserker Charge upgrade. Also once Wolverine does his instant overhead and you guess right, you basically avoided his mix up. Against Firebrand pinned under Cold Star.... you are getting opened the fuck up.

Azure J

Man I've always tried to do volcano -> j.S but that shit is so inconsistent for me.

BTW, you play on PSN or Xbox?

I won't lie, it's hard for me as well, although I can at least see the timing now. Only problem is making it safe/turning it into a reset if the j.S whiffs. I need to learn how to Bold Move mid match after a whiffed j.S.

Xbox here, but no live.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

You and me both, man.

I won't lie, it's hard for me as well, although I can at least see the timing now. Only problem is making it safe/turning it into a reset if the j.S whiffs. I need to learn how to Bold Move mid match after a whiffed j.S.

Dante can Bold Move a whiffed j.S? That's news to me. I guess I've never really tried since I never use j.S without canceling into Hammer/Airplay or outside of combos. I'm still not positive that would make it safe given the inherent no command period after a Bold Move.

Azure J

Dante can Bold Move a whiffed j.S? That's news to me. I guess I've never really tried since I never use j.S without canceling into Hammer/Airplay or outside of combos. I'm still not positive that would make it safe.

Yeah, you can bold move the j.S on first contact with the ground on hit, block, or whiff. You can also Dash Cancel which leads to stuff like this.

Solune

That's what you get for losing to my fraudulent teams
Well I could just play my best team all day! Btw, did you think the Chris team was solid?
Fixed it. Sometimes I skip quotes to return to them later when writing large responses, and I just forgot to go back this time.
Tron can loop supers until death, but I'm talking more about a character's ability to open people up. If you can't do that, nothing else matters.

I'm not saying that other characters need Hidden Missiles, and I think we both know he has great normals (just bad mobility). But ask yourself: if every other character had an assist on par with Hidden Missiles, what would it look like? Tracking Purification wouldn't even be as good as Hidden Missiles.
I honestly think of Tron as the same archetype as Haggar though she has much more mobility. Haggar theoretically has a hard time opening people up, but watching Bum's stream aka House of Crack, you see people get bopped AT LEAST once, that's the way it is with Tron. It's hard to do it but once you do, they have a dead character, alot of characters are like this. Tron is definitely best played on point now that her assist isn't god tier.

Tracking Purification wouldn't be as good no, but it's a start to making it alot better right? It also has a faster start up than Missiles. It's attributes are also a little bit different since it sends youre opponent flying. I think the best nerf people would agree with missiles is that it should disappear when he's hit. I would think that's the best OR nerf the hitstun.

That's not right since it went Neo > Fapnatiq

Wolverine can't solo combo off of his instant overhead without an assist, X factor or Berserker Charge upgrade. Also once Wolverine does his instant overhead and you guess right, you basically avoided his mix up. Against Firebrand pinned under Cold Star.... you are getting opened the fuck up.

It's character/spacing dependent but yes he can...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah, you can bold move the j.S on first contact with the ground on hit, block, or whiff. You can also Dash Cancel which leads to stuff like this.

Thanks for the link. Vid's blocked at work, but I'll check it out once I get home. I actually do recall playing around with bold canceling Helm Breaker waaay back. It was so long ago that I forgot about it. It seemed like a spotty whiff confirm and I recognized at that point to never do naked j.S's, so I never really explored it. I didn't know about the dash canceling, though.

Dahbomb

Yeah.... against Sentinel.

Also I probably did get the orders mixed up because I sort of scrolled around and forgot what was where.

Solune

Yeah.... against Sentinel.

Also I probably did get the orders mixed up because I sort of scrolled around and forgot what was where.

Nah he can do it against most characters in the corner. Mid screen not so much but, you play Wolverine more than I do so =p.

Was practicing Magneto's fierce fly loop bnb earlier. I was getting really frustrated because it's hard for me to do the adf H consistently. I'm trying to get down as many reps as I can but can only get like 3, and then my mind like automatically tells me to press S. Any tips for practicing the reps?

Dahbomb

Nah he can do it against most characters in the corner. Mid screen not so much but, you play Wolverine more than I do so =p.
Again I know that but that still falls under situational category. I would rather attempt the instant overhead with an assist because it works in any situation rather than be worrying about spacing or character sizes. I really only attempt a naked instant overhead if I want to go for the kill with XF (and that's usually like hail mary because if I miss it I wasted X factor) or if it's against Sentinel.

Also Berserker Slash.

SmokeMaxX

Was practicing Magneto's fierce fly loop bnb earlier. I was getting really frustrated because it's hard for me to do the adf H consistently. I'm trying to get down as many reps as I can but can only get like 3, and then my mind like automatically tells me to press S. Any tips for practicing the reps?

Just keep doing it. It's really not bad once you get it in your muscle memory. If it's hard to do so, just make your fourth button a L + M macro and slide your hand over to do the reps.
If the other character is dropping, you just add an L to the rep (i.e. H, H, L, H, H). From there you can transition into hypergrav loop.

Just keep doing it. It's really not bad once you get it in your muscle memory. If it's hard to do so, just make your fourth button a L + M macro and slide your hand over to do the reps.
If the other character is dropping, you just add an L to the rep (i.e. H, H, L, H, H). From there you can transition into hypergrav loop.

Will try this out, thank you =)

Azure J

I think this is my biggest problem currently with where I am in learning Magnus. I don't even do it consciously, but after like two reps, an S comes out and I just rage at myself for it. If it's not that, then it's getting a straight forward or upward/downward air dash when I'm trying to do the df/up fierce loop midscreen. Funnily enough, the loop where you throw Mag Blasts for the juggle, dash under S and continue is easier (in the sense that I go "oh OK I get it") for me.

SmokeMaxX

Will try this out, thank you =)

Sorry I wasn't clear on one of my points.
"If the other character is dropping, you just add an L to the rep (i.e. H, H, L, H, H). From there you can transition into hypergrav loop."
These are two separate points. You add the L to the rep to pop the opponent back up. Then you can finish your fly loop. Once you finish your fly loop, THEN you can transition into hypergrav loop. I taught myself how to do fly loop into hypergrav loop so I don't think it's the best way, but it's the easiest that I found-
Ground magic series, launch, H, adf, L, H, fly, H, H, (for however many reps), at the very end, if the other character is slightly under magneto, L, H, unfly, falling H, st. H, L hypergrav. This isn't the optimized way and you can only get like 2-3 reps of hypergrav loop after a full fly combo, but I think it's pretty easy doing it that way.

So good. You should take the time to play more folks here.

I would love too! I have never seen anyone online when I am. C'mon Marvel GAF!

Ryu: Challange Me!

I am jumping on PSN NOW! Just message me.

Just randomly participated in a local 32 man tourney last night and got second place. Feels good man. People who don't play against a compentent Wright have no idea what to do because they have zero experience against him. I was really shocked I made it that far considering the competition. I lost to a guy who played an amazing Morrigan, Dorm and X-23. More people should anchor X-23. In X-Factor almost every move she has is safe coupled with an easy unblockable lvl3 makes her one devastating opponent.

Karst this guy was doing this crazy Dorm combo. I can't remember it exactly but it was something like...

Hit confirm to B&B and end with a dark hole > OTG assist with X23 during dark hole hit stun > purification > one of the spike liberation moves > Bomb Hyper > Teleport above as Bomb Hyper ends > Air S > Purification > Chaotic Flame

I know thats not 100% correct but that was the general flow of the combo. It did like 85% damage to Hulk only using two meters. Shit was crazy.

OPEN LETTER UMVC3 COMMUNITY WORLDWIDE:

Where the hell is my Iron Fist highlight/combo video set to Carl Douglas's Kung Fu Fighting

More people should anchor X-23. In X-Factor almost every move she has is safe coupled with an easy unblockable lvl3 makes her one devastating opponent.

I'm trying to keep this big red button a secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom