• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes, you have one of those moments when you find an assist character who fills a hole in your team, has great synergy with other characters but has one weakness: he/she is terrible on their own.

I just had that moment with Hsien Ko. My go to Spidey teams have been Spidey/Hawkeye/Doom and Spidey/Strange/Doom and I've used both with moderate success. I prefer the Hawkeye one because if Spidey dies, I can start filling the screen with arrows and missiles. Its a nice contrast between Spidey rushdown and Hawkeye fullscreen chip.

But yesterday I tried out some new teammates for Peter, and eventually I tried out Lei Lei. And man, she has great synergy with spidey. Pendulum and Hidden Missiles assists let me do a maximum of 7 web throws in one combo, pendulum leads to a braindead post-UWT OTG hit confirm, also helps with UWT resets. Both of Lei Lei's hypers are good post max-spider DHCs. In fact, Lei Lei and spiderman have a DHC loop that can be used until the opponent is dead or you're out of meter. I can do 1 million damage with spidey with 1 bar, but I can add in 100k with each bar of meter that I have left.

Unfortunately, hsien ko, even when backed by missiles, is doo doo butter. I'm not a fan of this character, never was. I was indifferent to her. But now I really, really want this character to get buffed. I want her in my main, tourney team, not just in a casual team
I find her pretty playable when backed by Hidden Missiles.

Alternatively, put her behind Doom - they're a fantastic pair because you can call her at any point during a foot dive. Use the pin to do mix-ups. You just have to be prepared to burn XF2 with Doom and use Hsien-ko, since she won't make many comebacks alone.

IMO, you can win matches with Hsien-ko. I've done well with her, but it takes patience.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Any team with Hsien-ko on 3rd is a 2-character team.

She can do work as long as she's ahead. The moment you have to go in with her to catch up, though, it's over.

Solune

I could never hang in Marvel 2. Holy shittttt.

GOtta ask though, do you know the name of that song that played during the actual match? Sounds chill as hell. :)
Capcom Vs SNK2 - Fight with the Wind My favorite stage/track in the game. I know you've said you haven't got the chance to check the game out, which is a shame.
Just finished up another CMV with this time going back to a vanilla team I played.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsesATGGnhE

Hope you guys enjoy it.

One day, one day I hope to swag out as much as you.

sephi22

I find her pretty playable when backed by Hidden Missiles.

Alternatively, put her behind Doom - they're a fantastic pair because you can call her at any point during a foot dive. Use the pin to do mix-ups. You just have to be prepared to burn XF2 with Doom and use Hsien-ko, since she won't make many comebacks alone.

IMO, you can win matches with Hsien-ko. I've done well with her, but it takes patience.
Thanks for the tips. Having her on second gives me an easy way to get gold armor. Not too comfortable with the idea of her as anchor but ill still try it

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Been using Spencer/Taskmaster/Wesker

Want to ween off "Dark" wesker. Ive been trying to use a Spencer/Task shell but taskmaster arrows just take too much time to be active vs other stuff like Hawkeye quick arrows/em disruptor ect. Makes it harder to get in with Spencer, at least for my fraudulent ass.

Start with taskmaster, use spencers upgrab for resets and combo extensions for task. End with down arrow super, into the hook n grab super what ever the fuck it's called for spencer and keep the combo going from there, this leaves you in a favorable position to start fucking around with spencer stuff.

Thanks for the tips. Having her on second gives me an easy way to get gold armor. Not too comfortable with the idea of her as anchor but ill still try it
There are a few options. For example, have her second, and then when you have 3 bars do Maximum Spider -> Rimoukon -> Sphere Flame.

Alternatively, Maximum Spider -> Rimoukon, raw tag Spider-man back in so Hsien-ko is second. Play her for a little bit when she comes in, but DHC to Doom ASAP. This is what I do, and it works nice because Rimoukon makes Hsien-ko not have to deal with incoming mix-ups. It's hilarious how many characters I kill just because people don't realize they don't get to do anything when she comes in.

sephi22

There are a few options. For example, have her second, and then when you have 3 bars do Maximum Spider -> Rimoukon -> Sphere Flame.

Alternatively, Maximum Spider -> Rimoukon, raw tag Spider-man back in so Hsien-ko is second. Play her for a little bit when she comes in, but DHC to Doom ASAP. This is what I do, and it works nice because Rimoukon makes Hsien-ko not have to deal with incoming mix-ups. It's hilarious how many characters I kill just because people don't realize they don't get to do anything when she comes in.
Sounds great. If I have three bars I was thinking of Max Spider -> gold armor activation -> lei lei swords hyper, raw tag doom -> plasma beam.

Can't wait to try all this at home. Ill probably make a video to show my friends. Will share here too

Zissou

Does anyone have a good link or something to a great Doom guide? I got worked REAL hard this Tuesday, and it inspired me to step up my game. I'm about to put in some serious work to this game to get over my scrubby shit, and I think I'm going to have to learn an actual team.

I'm keeping Ammy; she's the only character I think I'm going to stick with. She'll be in the back spot. Doom I think is good for everyone, and pairs well with my lovable sun goddess. He'll be second, I think. Thinking Virgil, or maybe keeping Nova on point. Need to step up my Nova game though, if I do keep him. HELP ME MAHVEL GAF.

This thread on SRK has good Doom combo advice.

This is some stuff I posted about Doom a while ago but is still relevant for the most part:

My Doom is ass but I would recommend the following:

Others have already said it, but learn the buktooth loop and his basic corner loop. If you're within a half screen of the corner when you start, the buk loop will push them far enough that you can transition to the corner loop. Once you've got the basic corner loop down, practice the dash cancel version which will allow you to get one extra rep of the loop in, boosting damage a bit, and making the timing on the OTGs less strict.

Good videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDOx4druFsk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yPskuh1yx8

You should also practice transitioning into the buk loop off of a back throw (I OTG with S.H and the use fwd.h hard kick to launch them). If you want to keep it simple, it does almost the same damage to just OTG S.H immediately into sphere flame. You can combo off of both grounded and air front throws in the corner, so practice that as well.

Doom has good mobility with tri-dashing. You can get in by super jumping, firing the slow moving qcb+L projectiles and then dashing in behind them as cover. When you hit someone with his fwd.H foot dive, you can cancel into a forward air dash, hit them with J.m while still in the air once, and then transition into a normal combo once you hit the ground. If they block and adv. guard, you can time the air dash to negate the adv. guard, but the timing depends on how early they adv. guard. On the ground, you can negate adv. guard by dash canceling blocked attacks into forward dashes to keep pressuring. Now in ultimate, you easily OTG into a combo from hitting a random S footdive, so abuse this to make sure your opponent respects the space beneath doom.

Your standard low block string should be C.L, C.H. Don't use the crouching M, as it can whiff depending on spacing. If the crouching H hits, launch and combo them- if it's blocked, dash forward to negate the advancing guard and stay on their ass.

When doing the buk loop, in vanilla you would normally end with a sphere flame hyper to maximize damage, but hyper finger lasers seems to better for more situations now. For DHC purposes, you should definitely launch once more after the second buk rep and do M, M, F.H, M xx photon array, as it leaves them in block stun for a long time and you can DHC into almost anything as they're falling down. When doing sphere flame -> x-factor -> sphere flame, you should x-factor and do the second sphere flame as rapidly as possible to maximize damage.

For zoning, doom can gain control of a lot of the screen by doing finger lasers from super-jump height. I like to jump and then air dash up, which still allows me to call assists if I want to. In vanilla, you could also do one finger lasers in the air before falling, but now in Ultimate, you can finger lasers, fly, and then do two more finger lasers, enhancing doom’s lame game. As you land back on the ground, your opponent should still be locked down from the air finger lasers, and you can safely get out a plasma beam to chip them down and keep them from calling assists.

Doom benefits A LOT from lockdown assists (like how clockwork uses ammy) to force difficult to block high/low mix-ups. Doom also likes assists that help with controlling the opposite top corner of the screen where opponents can safely avoid his projectiles and offensive pressure. Vajra is great for this- strider+doom, bff! J.M can cross up, and you can also use J.M as an instant overhead on some characters. You can also set up cross ups by coming down on the top of your opponent’s with the new improved ultimate S footdive. Doom can now control the mid-screen pretty well his improved J.H gun, which has the added bonus of being a normal, so that you can still call assists while doing it. The can be a good way to transition from zoning to rushdown.

If someone who actually knows Doom sees any mistakes, please let me know! Good luck!

Things I would add are- you should almost always go for front throw rather than back throw. On the ground, you can follow up fairly easily by ground dashing forward, jump canceling by jumping toward your opponent and then immediately dashing down forward and OTGing with standing H. His front throw actually causing less hit stun deterioration so it is always more damaging than what you can get off of a back throw and holding fwd.H is a MUCH better option select than pressing back H. If you get unintentional hidden missiles, your fucked, but hard kick is much safer and can be jump canceled. In the air, you can air throw forward at normal jump height, addf to the ground and do a single tri-jump to get into range to OTG them into a combo. Only at super jump height or when you are very low to the ground is it difficult/impossible to combo off of an air front throw outside of the corner.

Another addendum would be learn the basic corner carry loop before you bother learning the buktooth loop since you don't have to think about anything and you can almost always do a full corner carry off of it and it feels like it's easier to do against the whole cast versus the buk loop where the timing varies more from character to character.

I feel like the doom/ammy shell can support pretty much any point character in the game, but ideally, you have somebody who can build lots of meter so you can go for marlin pie THC shenanigans once your first character dies. Fun note: taunts are THC cancellable, so if you're going to do the doom/ammy THC, taunt first and maybe bait them into pressing a button!

Azure J

MvC3-inspired 3D renders for various characters by David Kuo.

MvC Live Action Film Kickstarter. Okay this shit sounds awesome. Thread worthy?

I hope it's not just Doom/Ryu/Chun-Li though and there are more characters.

A part of me loves the enthusiasm for handling something like this, a part of me is all "meh why the ordinary guy/gal when MAHVEL is about the batshit insane extraordinary" before realizing small group with limited funding, and yet anoter small part of me is all like "someone should kickstart the shit out of a short OVA animated action series in the vein of the Soul Eater series."

rexor0717

One other thing with Doom I like to do when it comes to zoning and staying at super jump height is Plasma Beam, Plasma Beam, Fly, Finger Laser, Finger Lase, Finger Laser.
Having 5 aerial moves is pretty awesome, and will do great chip if they try to chase you up there.

JeTmAn81

Is there a particular strength of Plasma Beam/Photon Shot which is best for various situations? I usually just go for heavy.

Is there a particular strength of Plasma Beam/Photon Shot which is best for various situations? I usually just go for heavy.
Photon Shot should pretty much always be the L version. L is the slowest to start up, but the fastest to recover. The move should be pretty safe when you use it, so the startup isn't too important. All Photon Shot versions have the same overall startup+recovery. The L version's projectiles move the slowest though, which gives you the most screen control.

All three Plasma Beam attacks have the same startup, so if you're sure it will hit, go for the H version. If you're not sure, the L version recovers notably faster than the H one.

If you're in a firefight, you should put out a Molecular Shield before using Plasma Beam H. Molecular Shield is horribly underused in this game. It pretty much absorbs any incoming projectile, so it's the kind of thing you want to use to reverse flow in a zoning war.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
If you're in a firefight, you should put out a Molecular Shield before using Plasma Beam H. Molecular Shield is horribly underused in this game. It pretty much absorbs any incoming projectile, so it's the kind of thing you want to use to reverse flow in a zoning war.

I don't think I've seen a Doom do this.

Dartastic

This thread on SRK has good Doom combo advice.

This is some stuff I posted about Doom a while ago but is still relevant for the most part:

Things I would add are- you should almost always go for front throw rather than back throw. On the ground, you can follow up fairly easily by ground dashing forward, jump canceling by jumping toward your opponent and then immediately dashing down forward and OTGing with standing H. His front throw actually causing less hit stun deterioration so it is always more damaging than what you can get off of a back throw and holding fwd.H is a MUCH better option select than pressing back H. If you get unintentional hidden missiles, your fucked, but hard kick is much safer and can be jump canceled. In the air, you can air throw forward at normal jump height, addf to the ground and do a single tri-jump to get into range to OTG them into a combo. Only at super jump height or when you are very low to the ground is it difficult/impossible to combo off of an air front throw outside of the corner.

Another addendum would be learn the basic corner carry loop before you bother learning the buktooth loop since you don't have to think about anything and you can almost always do a full corner carry off of it and it feels like it's easier to do against the whole cast versus the buk loop where the timing varies more from character to character.

I feel like the doom/ammy shell can support pretty much any point character in the game, but ideally, you have somebody who can build lots of meter so you can go for marlin pie THC shenanigans once your first character dies. Fun note: taunts are THC cancellable, so if you're going to do the doom/ammy THC, taunt first and maybe bait them into pressing a button!

Thanks man! I'm thinking Dorm might also be a good alternative. I'm going to check this shit out.

shaowebb

F Champ provides us with the best heel promos. God switching to the other stick and dragging out the tension to screw with DiosX was some Ric Flair mind games too. Its like he started refusing to get back into the ring until he could collect himself and spot enough tension to feel comfortable in his next round.

Someone get that guy a feathered robe.

smurfx

get some go again
well shit i just found another haggar reset i should have been doing all along but never bothered to. -_- this one hurts too because it should have been obvious from the start.

smurfx

get some go again
I love arthur :(
love means abandoning him two times?! even worse for anime fighting games!

4cD8a.jpg

:p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Oh yeah you had that Ogre avatar.

how bout that SFxT there?

love means abandoning him two times?! even worse for anime fighting games!

http://i.imgur.com/4cD8a.jpg[IMG]

:p[/QUOTE]

I'll abandon him for Guilty Gear in a heartbeat. Give me ky in marvel... god that would be so fucking hot (Half Screen normals huge sweeping hitboxes on jump attacks, the abilty to go under projectiles *all of them in marvel for the most part actually judging by hitboxes* Free high low throw mix ups, free lock downs after a knockdown no assist needed, traps, full screen otg, SRK with a wall bounce, an overhead assist that ground bounces oh god yes). Well I guess there is taskmaster lol

SF x TK is a fun game gives me CVS2 vibes. Game needed 6 more months in production though. Ogre was fun to use in it though, can't wait for TTT2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom