• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can agree with this, but take away the Lightning Loop as well (not dependent on buster cancel since it existed in vanilla, right?). Damage is high enough in this game already. Can we fix Spencer's unscaled up-grapple too?
In general, any move that has unscaled damage should be given scaled damage. I'm actually fine with Zero's Lightning Loop, but his damage scaling is too low, much like Vergil. If you lower the late combo damage done by the loops a bit, I think it's fair.

JeTmAn81

In general, any move that has unscaled damage should be given scaled damage. I'm actually fine with Zero's Lightning Loop, but his damage scaling is too low, much like Vergil. If you lower the late combo damage done by the loops a bit, I think it's fair.

I'd be ok with whatever puts a lower ceiling on his damage. Also, I've decided I'm in favor of getting rid of tracking assists, Vajra included. The game shouldn't be doing that much work for you. Still fine with those moves being done on point.

I'd be ok with whatever puts a lower ceiling on his damage. Also, I've decided I'm in favor of getting rid of tracking assists, Vajra included. The game shouldn't be doing that much work for you. Still fine with those moves being done on point.
So you want Hidden Missiles completely removed from the game as an assist? I can't back that.

KingsnBucs

Neo Member
Hey what's up guys, finally got access to get in. Long time lurker.

Never been able to find that team that just clicks with Spencer since Vanilla.

Team so far is:

Nova/Sent/Spencer

Can't really find a 2nd for my team. I know a horizontal assist would be great for this team, but couldn't really figure one out.

People I've used and can use somewhat:
Mags with Beam
Doom with H.M.
Frank with Cart
Dante with Jam Session or Weasel Shot
Dorm
Captain America with Charging Star or Shield Slash

What do you guys think would be a good second person for Nova/xxx?Spencer.

Would love to get some games in with everybody.

Team so far is:

Nova/Sent/Spencer

Can't really find a 2nd for my team. I know a horizontal assist would be great for this team, but couldn't really figure one out.

Mags with Beam
Doom with H.M.
Frank with Cart
Dorm

What's wrong with the current team? I assume you DHC Sentinel to Spencer ASAP.

JeTmAn81

So you want Hidden Missiles completely removed from the game as an assist? I can't back that.

I already wanted that gone. I've now shifted to even include my beloved Vajra, despite the fact that removing it would change my team configuration drastically (Dante/Wesker). Eh, actually I'd probably just drop Magnus in there on anchor and call it good, then go build a Strider point team or something.

Then airdashers and teleporters will dominate. Vajira/HM both are checks for the aforementioned type of characters. That would hurt the balance. Strider just doesn't cause hard knockdown. HM either longer startup time or cut the time out in half and allow it where he can be hit out of the assist.

Dahbomb

Strider needs to be soft knock down and HM needs to disappear when Doom is hit.

Also Strider has other good assists too that no one ever uses.

Solune

Team so far is:

Nova/Sent/Spencer

Mags with Beam
Doom with H.M.
Frank with Cart
Dorm

Hawkeye, Taskmaster, Doom with Plasma Beam. Those are all good Horizontal assists for both Nova and Spencer.

Why do I see so many people wearing headphones while playing Marvel? Are they listening to music or something?
Some listen to music, but others just want to hear the game. You can't hear anything in a tournament setting. Hearing is the difference between punishing Hidden Missiles and, 3 seconds later, thinking "holy crap where are those missiles coming from?!"

Grakl

Some listen to music, but others just want to hear the game. You can't hear anything in a tournament setting. Hearing is the difference between punishing Hidden Missiles and, 3 seconds later, thinking "holy crap where are those missiles coming from?!"

Alright, thanks.

kirblar

It's also important when facing El Fuerte in SFIV- his vocals or lack thereof telegraph his grab/hit mixups.

So basically, Seth left Capcom because he didn't want the job I want. It's my dream to work for Capcom Japan and work on art and design. I take notes on all their action-based titles in case I ever get the chance.

Anyway, PM me if you want to join a GAF meetup at EVO.

kirblar

So basically, Seth left Capcom because he didn't want the job I want. It's my dream to work for Capcom Japan and work on art and design. I take notes on all their action-based titles in case I ever get the chance.

Anyway, PM me if you want to join a GAF meetup at EVO.
It felt like he was being sort of ignored post-SFIV, especially since the company's based out of Japan.

Dahbomb

So I am in the process of doing a UMVC3 a tournament statistical breakdown. Should be finishing it up by tomorrow. Just some teasers:

*Doom and Akuma have the MOST tournament wins in UMVC3 at 6 each.

*Magneto and Wolverine come in next at 5 each.

*Wesker is the most popular character in UMVC3 thus far, he is the most picked by a margin of at least 20. Doom is the 2nd most popular followed by Magneto at 3rd. Wolverine and Vergil are tied at 24 appearances each. I think Sentinel comes after that at 21 but that's not 100% yet because I didn't go that far into the rankings yet.

So I am in the process of doing a UMVC3 a tournament statistical breakdown. Should be finishing it up by tomorrow. Just some teasers:

*Doom and Akuma have the MOST tournament wins in UMVC3 at 6 each.

*Magneto and Wolverine come in next at 5 each.

*Wesker is the most popular character in UMVC3 thus far, he is the most picked by a margin of at least 20. Doom is the 2nd most popular followed by Magneto at 3rd. Wolverine and Vergil are tied at 24 appearances each. I think Sentinel comes after that at 21 but that's not 100% yet because I didn't go that far into the rankings yet.
Exactly why this game needs more good assists.

Seriously, Capcom should just make up new assists for half of the characters.

I'm thinking of these right now, this is how easy it is:
Viewtiful Joe - pops on-screen and throws a bullet that takes up the screen below jump height which has been caught by a random enemy from his game series
Dormammu - pretty much anything in his move arsenal that isn't an assist right now
Spider-man - shoots a web on the ground that acts as a trap
Storm - calls down a tracking lightning bolt that causes stagger
Super-Skrull - rolling hook
C. Viper - her new laser
Firebrand - have him take in a big breath and shoot a stream of fire out that goes full-screen at standing height (a la Ghost Rider's chain whip)

Just make shit up, Capcom!

Sigmaah

Someone wanna give me the history on how MvC3 came to life? As in, how did people start hearing about it, was it teased by Capcom, peoples first initial reactions to the first gameplay trailer, character reactions. and more? I started following MvC3 a little after October, so I would love to know how the rumors, leaks, and all that good stuff went about cause I missed it haha.

Dahbomb

It can be argued that those assists might be too good if they are getting picked that much.

Someone wanna give me the history on how MvC3 came to life? As in, how did people start hearing about it, was it teased by Capcom, peoples first initial reactions to the first gameplay trailer, character reactions. and more? I started following MvC3 a little after October, so I would love to know how the rumors, leaks, and all that good stuff went about cause I missed it haha.
mvc3.jpg

But seriously they started off as rumors. The first hint was when Capcom released MVC2 on Xbox Live, more optimists took it as Capcom's way of testing the waters. The game sold pretty well actually. Then rumors started flying around that MVC3 is being developed and that it will be revealed soon at Captivate. It was unveiled with a godlike trailer that got everyone hyped but not many characters shown first.

They started unveiling characters through silhouettes, most people figured out most of them. Then the reveals started happening and it was a roller coaster ride. A ton of fake reveal lists popped up but the original Lupinko list was the real list and about 3/4ths way Lupinko was vindicated when it was learned that Jill and Shuma are going to be DLC characters (as that was a completely left field guess that no one else had). There was a shit storm over it but it soon subsided. Lupinko also became legendary on GAF. Some characters people liked, others didn't and of course the holes were pointed out as always (no MM, no Strider etc.). People also complained a lot about X23 and She Hulk being a waste of slot because they would be too much like their counterparts. Most people warmed up to the cast by the time the game was released. It was a fun ride.

The lead up to UMVC3 was even crazier. Lupinko started mad teasing about a potential expansion pack and about a few weeks before its rumored unveiling Lupinko started busting out teaser riddles about characters that would be in the game. The first two were easy, it was Phoenix Wright and Strider but most after that were extremely vague. The forums went completely ballistic trying to guess riddles and doing reach arounds until they something stuck. Most of the internet had themselves convinced that Apocalypse, Carnage and Jubilee were confirmed from the tweets. Lupinko started to give more hints that disproved those characters but at that people had worked themselves into a frenzy. Characters were eventually revealed and there was a shit storm. No black characters, no female characters, no Spider Man villains, no Megaman etc. Some characters of course people liked and most of them people warmed up to by the time the game was released but the lead up to it was a massive roller coaster ride. Also the timing of the expansion was bad, it came out way too early and was announced very quickly too.

If you guys don't mind I would like to hear some input.

Ok so I was pretty much done with mvc3/umvc3 competitively after like months in vanilla due to real life, other games and whatnot. But after coming from AX with 3 days of nonstop talk/casuals at the console room makes me want to play this game again (until persona 4 comes out).

I see myself as a really fundamental based player in fighting game in general. I don't have many gimmicks/tricks, but I have pretty solid blocking (or atleast used to), spacing and etc. I'm the kind of player that can see every mistake that happens in a game including my own games and try to learn from it.

My team in vanilla and probably still my best team is old team eg, shulk, wolv, akuma. I want to keep wolv and if possibly pickup possibly felicia.

So after all auto-bio, who would you guys suggest I pickup or run?

TL;DR
Need a new team that is more fundamental based. Would like felicia or wolv, help please.

was it teased by Capcom

tu4ar

peoples first initial reactions to the first gameplay trailer, character reactions. and more?

Monster Hunter has definitely deserved a spot in this game. They can't ignore Monster Hunters success and popularity. I'd say that a Monster Hunter character is definitely guaranteed to be in this game.

altec003 2 years ago

Really? Then how did he convinced them to add Arthur and Sentinel in mvc3.

I just mean he really had to struggle.

mr. puppy

Banned
random question guys....why didn't anybody play Chun Li in sf4? I never see her in tournies but she is always high on the tier lists.

Sigmaah

mvc3.jpg

But seriously they started off as rumors. The first hint was when Capcom released MVC2 on Xbox Live, more optimists took it as Capcom's way of testing the waters. The game sold pretty well actually. Then rumors started flying around that MVC3 is being developed and that it will be revealed soon at Captivate. It was unveiled with a godlike trailer that got everyone hyped but not many characters shown first.

They started unveiling characters through silhouettes, most people figured out most of them. Then the reveals started happening and it was a roller coaster ride. A ton of fake reveal lists popped up but the original Lupinko list was the real list and about 3/4ths way Lupinko was vindicated when it was learned that Jill and Shuma are going to be DLC characters (as that was a completely left field guess that no one else had). There was a shit storm over it but it soon subsided. Lupinko also became legendary on GAF. Some characters people liked, others didn't and of course the holes were pointed out as always (no MM, no Strider etc.). People also complained a lot about X23 and She Hulk being a waste of slot because they would be too much like their counterparts. Most people warmed up to the cast by the time the game was released. It was a fun ride.

The lead up to UMVC3 was even crazier. Lupinko started mad teasing about a potential expansion pack and about a few weeks before its rumored unveiling Lupinko started busting out teaser riddles about characters that would be in the game. The first two were easy, it was Phoenix Wright and Strider but most after that were extremely vague. The forums went completely ballistic trying to guess riddles and doing reach arounds until they something stuck. Most of the internet had themselves convinced that Apocalypse, Carnage and Jubilee were confirmed from the tweets. Lupinko started to give more hints that disproved those characters but at that people had worked themselves into a frenzy. Characters were eventually revealed and there was a shit storm. No black characters, no female characters, no Spider Man villains, no Megaman etc. Some characters of course people liked and most of them people warmed up to by the time the game was released but the lead up to it was a massive roller coaster ride. Also the timing of the expansion was bad, it came out way too early and was announced very quickly too.

Thanks for the write up bro, I was around for the UMvC3 Fiasco, SHIT WAS HYPE AS HELL, their was one riddle where Lupinko said something about a virus, people instantly thought the Sigma virus and people assumed Sigma was joining the cast, I was too hyped since I love Sigma, but unfortunately, it was false :<

I still think some characters can be replaced with better ones, and to THIS DAY, I hope for one more expansion, if SF4 got it, we deserve one more too! Maybe the TAC stuff will require more than just a TU, which will then lead Capcom into one more expansion, fixing the TAC stuff, more balance changes, better netcode, and 8 more characters that will blow away everybody's mind. One can dream though...

Tirael

Colossus - flies in from the middle of the screen and plows through people before flying off

Hahahahaha

Dormammu - pretty much anything in his move arsenal that isn't an assist right now

This is so true, and yet still funny. Also I see you erred on the side of beam assists with the rest of your list, which we REALLY need, not enough characters have good ones. Even Bolts of Balthak is punishable for ten years and hits way too high and is STILL used.

Thanks for the write up bro, I was around for the UMvC3 Fiasco, SHIT WAS HYPE AS HELL, their was one riddle where Lupinko said something about a virus, people instantly thought the Sigma virus and people assumed Sigma was joining the cast, I was too hyped since I love Sigma, but unfortunately, it was false :<

Oh I know man, we all had character wishes that didn't come true...

Let's not forget the epic character leaks on day 1! Seth was not a happy man

Exactly! I think one of the biggest things that really HELPED Capcom during that time is that the characters WERE leaked. I mean, if you were sitting at home, watching two characters get revealed every so often, and you DIDN'T KNOW who they were going to be, wouldn't you expect Mega Man, or at the very least another Mega Man character? By all the cast being spoiled up front, people's anger didn't have time to simmer and coalesce into something truly terrifying.

I still think some characters can be replaced with better ones, and to THIS DAY, I hope for one more expansion, if SF4 got it, we deserve one more too! Maybe the TAC stuff will require more than just a TU, which will then lead Capcom into one more expansion, fixing the TAC stuff, more balance changes, better netcode, and 8 more characters that will blow away everybody's mind. One can dream though...

I would pay $50 for ONLY X and Gene. Not even an expansion, just DLC. X would have moved copies of the game.
But Gene wouldn't have, lol.

T_T

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
X wont ever be in this game. Ever. The only megaman that will be will be the legends megaman copy pasted from TvC. Original Megaman wont make it in either as they WILL NOT do a complete character overhaul. No jill doesn't count. Go fucking play Arthur or Joe if you want megaman so bad.

Sigma on the other hand would be unique and fucking awesome as long as they do his later versions and not his MMX version which would be a fucking Hayato reskin and be garbage.

Tirael

X wont ever be in this game. Ever. The only megaman that will be will be the legends megaman copy pasted from TvC. Original Megaman wont make it in either as they WILL NOT do a complete character overhaul. No jill doesn't count. Go fucking play Arthur or Joe if you want megaman so bad.

To be clear, I would be entirely okay with this.

Sigma on the other hand would be unique and fucking awesome.

I'm sure he would, most of the other characters they've built from the ground up for MvC3 and UMvC3 have been quite unique and interesting, I'm positive they could do him justice.

If Vergil can be in the game then Megaman sure as hell can be in the game too.

I'm sure you're right, but what's your reasoning? I suppose we haven't met our quota for blue characters yet, lol

Sigmaah

I would pay $50 for ONLY X and Gene. Not even an expansion, just DLC. X would have moved copies of the game.
But Gene wouldn't have, lol.

T_T

BRO, I WOULD PAY $50 for X too, *HUGS*

MMX series forever <3

Glad to hear some of you guys want Sigma too, maybe someone can start a chant or something during EVO to show Niitsuma that WE WANT MORE.

Dahbomb

My reasoning for MMX being in the game or MM in general? He has a diverse set of tools and moves to choose from so that he can be a rather unique and versatile character. Sort of like a new Dante with just as crazy of a toolset.

If character archetypes was an excuse to not have popular characters in then there is no way Vergil would be in. When you break him down aside from his Spiral Swords which are really like a hybrid of Ouroborus and Spiral swords he is basically a combination of various characters already in the game. Same for X-23 and She Hulk... I mean why play X-23 when you can play Felicia, Wolverine, Jill etc.

Except MM easily has enough tools to make him a unique addition to the game. I don't know why people would be against such an iconic character being in the game, it still doesn't feel like a CAPCOM game without MM in it.

If you guys don't mind I would like to hear some input.

Ok so I was pretty much done with mvc3/umvc3 competitively after like months in vanilla due to real life, other games and whatnot. But after coming from AX with 3 days of nonstop talk/casuals at the console room makes me want to play this game again (until persona 4 comes out).

I see myself as a really fundamental based player in fighting game in general. I don't have many gimmicks/tricks, but I have pretty solid blocking (or atleast used to), spacing and etc. I'm the kind of player that can see every mistake that happens in a game including my own games and try to learn from it.

My team in vanilla and probably still my best team is old team eg, shulk, wolv, akuma. I want to keep wolv and if possibly pickup possibly felicia.

So after all auto-bio, who would you guys suggest I pickup or run?

TL;DR
Need a new team that is more fundamental based. Would like felicia or wolv, help please.
What do you think "fundamentals" means? I don't consider Felicia a good fundamentals character, nor Wolverine. To me, "fundamentals" means you can make characters like She-Hulk work because you have good patience and can find small holes. Characters like Wolverine and Felicia are built around overwhelming your opponent's senses, not finding small openings to exploit.

random question guys....why didn't anybody play Chun Li in sf4? I never see her in tournies but she is always high on the tier lists.
No matter how good a character is, people need to like playing the characters. MvC2 would not have spent 10 years in popularity if the top 3 were Servbot, Roll, and Amingo.

Man, fuck Lupinko. Dude is such an attention-whoring asshole.
Normally I'd agree with you, but Lupinko softened the blow of no Megaman twice for me. He also didn't leak the list for UMvC3, that was entirely Capcom's fault. People were all over the place for UMvC3 lists. I remember how hype people were for Jean Gray pre-release. How quickly that changed.

Respectfully, you're a bitch.

This is a game based on fanservice. You can't just point to another character and say "he's similar enough, be happy". People want to play as Megaman, not Arthur. This is not hard to understand. This game would not be nearly as hype if all of the characters were reskinned to nobodies with the same movesets. Who the characters are matters.

This is so true, and yet still funny. Also I see you erred on the side of beam assists with the rest of your list, which we REALLY need, not enough characters have good ones. Even Bolts of Balthak is punishable for ten years and hits way too high and is STILL used.
The game needs more beam assists. I imagine Firebrand's assist having the coverage of Iron Man's unibeam, but with only one hit. Faster startup.

Didn't he become like that for UMvC3 leaks? or was he always like that?
He was always an attention whore. He just took it to maximum levels for Ultimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom