• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The complete change in Hsien-Ko from Darkstalkers to Marvel will forever baffle me. Turning a decently fast rushdown character into a slow zoner is just...I don't get it, Capcom. Even worse, you'd think with the complaints and low character usage Capcom would've actually tried to do something about her. I'm happy about Rantetsu and Edoga being a lot more usable, but...that's it, really. Is Rimoukon Senpu Bu really as good as Capcom thinks?

Ridiculous...
It's not a bad game, I just think it's stupid and I don't like it. Kinda like my feelings with FF6; I don't like the game at all, but I know it's not a bad game. ASW (and FF4, to continue with the FF analogue) are in another league of suckage entirely, though.
Eh... it's an opinion.
Darkstalkers, from my limited knowledge of them, are exemplary of some fantastic character visual design, and some fast paced action, which I love in fighting games. Other than that I've yet to check out all the footage SolarPowered ejaculated into my PM box.
:3
You just confirmed both of my thoughts on her lol. Be good with lots of lockdown to help her get it out, and that she could use more durability/stun properties to her moves. No if only there was a cancel mechanic possible to suggest to make the beginning of a move animation quicker instead of cancels just to make the recovery safe. Just start shaving frames off her moves or give her a move like Terry Bogard's ground wave projectile that's fast to pop, lasts forever and is slow, and hits low/otg's. I'd do that all day every day if she had something as ridiculous as that to keep her safe and to extend without meter blowing for OTG's.

Ah well what do I know though. I haven't played more than maybe 2 weeks of Ultimate since it came out.
Just bring this Hsien-Ko into Mahvel and keep the good buffs they gave her when they brought in that shitty version. Her old Tenrai Ha could be a nightmare in Mahvel with it's stagewide knockdown effects.

You up for some Ultimate games? Maybe we play better than before? I haven't played this game at my house in months.
The complete change in Hsien-Ko from Darkstalkers to Marvel will forever baffle me. Turning a decently fast rushdown character into a slow zoner is just...I don't get it, Capcom. Even worse, you'd think with the complaints and low character usage Capcom would've actually tried to do something about her. I'm happy about Rantetsu and Edoga being a lot more usable, but...that's it, really. Is Rimoukon Senpu Bu really as good as Capcom thinks?
I like that she can use gongs in the middle of a dash. They would be useful as hell if she had her EX gongs. I abuse the shit out of those these days. :p

Also, Senpu Bu makes whiny bitches cry and that is enough these days.

Speaking of Darkstalkers, SFxT feels kinda like Vampire Saviour with Down's Syndrome.

Anyway, I was playing a little Spencer/Wesker/Magneto again today for fun, but it's just so boring outside of my one godlike command grab setup. Dorm/Spencer/Mags is so much better. I came up with a few more resets with different team combinations today, and a new Magneto tag combo ^_^

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Odd thought, but if Hsien Ko's random item toss was a move you could input and hold the attack button to charge and get better weapons she'd probably be someone I'd pick more. I like that move, but random projectile properties kinda suck. If I could charge it up to get that stun move it'd be great. I haven't played her much though in the past so how do the Hsien Ko vets feel about this idea?

EDIT: (Just caught up on past couple of pages) Okay I gotta say I agree with God's Beard here. As much as I love TVC and would want TVC2 Shonen Jump vs Capcom would be superior in both marketability and cast choices. After all its hard to come up with too many other kinds of TVC characters that aren't really similar after awhile. However, Shonen Jump gives you DBZ, Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, Fist of the Northstar, Sailor Moon (i think...) and a shitload of other crazy stuff like Sandland, Dr. Slump and other more obscure stuff.

The idea of seeing Vegeta vs Akuma and Ryu vs Goku has me pumped and you KNOW they'd do Luffy vs either Dhalsim or Seth with this. So good. Here's hoping Niitsuma fulfills your wishes and mine Beard.

Erm.. 3 street fighter characters already! o_O

I don't mind to see those characters

Goku vs. Ryu
Naruto vs. Wesker
Luffy vs. Seth
Ichigo vs. Asura
Sena vs. Arthur
Rosario vs Morrigan
Gintoki vs Soki
Light vs Phoenix Wright
Tokiko vs. Mega Man (I don't care any version)
Chronos vs Dante
Claire vs. Frank West/Chuck Greene
Yoh vs. Strider

New joke character that are more insane than Phoenix Wright are
Eiji from Bakuman. All of his movesets would based on the poses and actions he acted out when he draw the manga.

I would like to see Eiji vs. Nina (BoF2)

I could see Eiji would make some of references about Crow against Nina.

shaowebb

Ridiculous...

Eh... it's an opinion.

:3

Just bring this Hsien-Ko into Mahvel and keep the good buffs they gave her when they brought in that shitty version. Her old Tenrai Ha could be a nightmare in Mahvel with it's stagewide knockdown effects.

You up for some Ultimate games? Maybe we play better than before? I haven't played this game at my house in months.

I like that she can use gongs in the middle of a dash. They would be useful as hell if she had her EX gongs. I abuse the shit out of those these days. :p

Also, Senpu Bu makes whiny bitches cry and that is enough these days.

Oh my God shes so quick and safe on everything in this vid O_O
I had no idea that this is what she used to be like. All I had were vague memories of Darkstalkers and playing as the Bee. Geez now I understand the Darkstalker fan salt I've seen over the character. Rushdown Hsien Ko...I never guessed this from her Marvel playstyle.

I can play BTW, but not for too long. I got some midterm stuff to do tonight as well. Send me a game invite. Dynasty Penguin aka I'm gonna be free with all this rust...

Azure J

Good points. She's really slow with a lot of moves and she'd have to have some serious lockdown action on screen to allow her to have a charge move that you'd ever get full. Like I said, I don't play her but I'd like to see more of her. Any Darkstalker memories or Capcom Fighting Jam players who remember Hsien Ko's game plan in those games since she was pretty viable in them? Did she have cancels or induce more hit/block stun on her moves or something?

Well I can't really articulate her game plan well because I've seen her do well to damn near excellent at everything save straight zoning. She always seemed to be a strong mixup based character between her projectile's arcs, durations and properties as well as her own approaches. The threat of Blender grabs was also enough to make folks be wary of letting her close the distance on them, and then there was the idea that she was agile enough to make push block useless at a high enough level. Pendulums were also normal cancellable (with kicks I believe) multiple times and could be used for ghetto double jumps/chain jumps which was also further enhanced by her excellent air dash. Her air dash was literally a brief sprint in the air but the biggest reason why it was so good was that she also retained momentum from it which was key in both her approaches and retreats.

I have to find some new footage to show this off because whenever we get to the Hsien Ko part of the Marvel 3 cycle, I always run back to some stuff I saw right at the beginning of the hype buildup for Vanilla. I'm sure there's better stuff to look at, I just haven't been keeping tabs on high level Vampire Saviour long enough.

Video 1 (Pay attention to the crazy that happens around 1:02) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_LRoesBj8fs

Video 2 (0:15 is a great example of the double pendulum jump and it's applications in a basic manner, also :40 - :48 is so sick) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wr3uC3MzVk

Video 3 (just watch everything *sogood.gif*) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkHXkpyt0_w&feature=related

My random thought: What if Blender was a HCB+S input (mash for hits) freeing up the potential for gongs to be QCB+L,M,H, could that work?

I actually have a 200 page design document for Shonen Jump vs Capcom that I wrote as a hobby over the past 8 months or so. I have engine features, design philosophy, story progression and movelists(with foundations for hitboxes and frame data) for about 3 dozen characters. Once I graduate,get comfortable with Japanese and get some experience in the industry, I'm planning on using it in my portfolio. It's been my lifelong dream to work for Capcom. I have 2 other design documents around the same level of completion based on Capcom IPs, but I probably won't turn them in to anybody for like 5 years. I imagine they'll be pretty intense by that time, lol

Azure J

I like that I'm not the only person with insane long design documents he makes as a hobby because he loves this hobby. :lol

Anth0ny

I actually have a 200 page design document for Shonen Jump vs Capcom that I wrote as a hobby over the past 8 months or so. I have engine features, design philosophy, story progression and movelists(with foundations for hitboxes and frame data) for about 3 dozen characters. Once I graduate,get comfortable with Japanese and get some experience in the industry, I'm planning on using it in my portfolio. It's been my lifelong dream to work for Capcom. I have 2 other design documents around the same level of completion based on Capcom IPs, but I probably won't turn them in to anybody for like 5 years. I imagine they'll be pretty intense by that time, lol

That is amazing lol

good luck!

Sloosha

Impressive.

As for a Shonen Jump vs Capcom game, I'd just want Himeko from Sket Dance in the game. Field Hockey sticks!!!

All I wanted to change for Hsien in Vampire is an increase in health and gongs mid air dash. They added those in Mahvel and took away everything else lol. Also, gg's Shao. It was nice and smooth at first, but the connection got kinda dodgy in the end. I figured I'd let you go so you can study in peace while I eat(haven't eaten since 12PM or something like that).
Speaking of Darkstalkers, SFxT feels kinda like Vampire Saviour with Down's Syndrome.
Other folks on SRK have said something similar.
Oh my God shes so quick and safe on everything in this vid O_O
I had no idea that this is what she used to be like. All I had were vague memories of Darkstalkers and playing as the Bee. Geez now I understand the Darkstalker fan salt I've seen over the character. Rushdown Hsien Ko...I never guessed this from her Marvel playstyle.
The stuff me and Azure have shown you is only the tip of the iceberg. Darkstalkers is riddled with insane shit and some real monsters are lurking out there. I feel kind of bad for going overboard on Enzo, but the footage I sent him will be enough to let him understand just how retarded the game and the characters are without ever having to search for more(unless it sparks an interest lol). If there is one game that flourishes in broken shit besides MvC2 it is Vampire.
Goddamn

Good luck with that.

Other folks on SRK have said something similar.

The monster hunter hit freeze on every attack is so fucking annoying in SFxT. It really makes the game feel rough. If it was only on specials or only on hit, that'd be one thing. But when every jab pauses the game for 10 frames it starts to piss me off. I'm still buying the game but damn.

Azure J

Hey SolarPowered, send me a copy of that PM you sent Enzo regarding the VS footage. I've been slacking on my personal stash of footage. I'm also thinking of bugging you for some Guilty Gear stuff since I've wanted to see how that game looks at its highest levels for years now.

Solune

Thanks. I thought the loop went super > surfboard > j.qcf+S > repeat. Is that wrong?

You can loops this twice, on your third loop you can only do DF+H > Okami Shuffle, if it's the same as Vanilla anyways.

--

OT: Missed out on some gatlyke SNES RPG debate. Chrono Trigger, FF6, Secret of Mana = God Tier. Special Tier = Lufia 2. Other great games just below god tier though.

shaowebb

Nice. I got notes here and there, breakdowns and basic design bibles(as a comicbook fan I mainly fantasize about a DC title), but nothing 200 pages towards one title. Longest I got is nearing 30 pages for a wrestling game thats actually good.

You know I pm-ed back and forth with that guy in the OT1 thread who worked at Capcom hoping for some advice and what he said was really true. Capcom Vancouver is hiring like freaking crazy right now and it looks like they may even have some unnannounced things in the works going down there. If Vancouver sounds do-able for you I'd strongly suggest putting in there. Its on my hitlist of studios to try since its not only one I know is hiring, but its one of the studios Capcom has that seems to be on the rise given its profitability since DR2.

If ya need any industry leads or contact numbers for recruiters for any major studios I'd suggest jigsaw.com. Let me know if you'd like any info or tools I have with job boards once you graduate. My school has a pretty insane search engine built privately for their school thats tied into about every private, public, and in between job posting site you could think of. Streamlines the search pretty swiftly for jobs and you can find anything from Modeler positions in Europe to bicycle assembly in Puerto Rico through it.

BTW GGS Solarpowered. The rust was so thickly visible after that it was hilarious. I don't think I even pulled a single magic series much less real combo. You guys would've cracked up at my reaction upon showing up, saying I haven't played, and seeing my IF/Ryu/Sent team was going up against a team with Morrigan and Doom.

Bizazedo

Just got back from a local tournament here in Delaware. Had to come out of the loser's bracket, but won (like 20-30 people, not big). Got a brand spanking new Mad Catz Soulcalibur TE Stick for my troubles.

AND I didn't lose my Blood Bowl league game. Been a good night.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That's the stupidest grudge match idea I've ever heard. It's not like I'm going to magically change my mind.

Heh. Alright, what about this. whoever lose have to make a 50 character Square Enix vs Capcom. You must include characters from your hatred final fantasy games for lulz. :p

Just got back from a local tournament here in Delaware. Had to come out of the loser's bracket, but won (like 20-30 people, not big). Got a brand spanking new Mad Catz Soulcalibur TE Stick for my troubles.

AND I didn't lose my Blood Bowl league game. Been a good night.

Congz on your winning.

Nice. I got notes here and there, breakdowns and basic design bibles(as a comicbook fan I mainly fantasize about a DC title), but nothing 200 pages towards one title. Longest I got is nearing 30 pages for a wrestling game thats actually good.

You know I pm-ed back and forth with that guy in the OT1 thread who worked at Capcom hoping for some advice and what he said was really true. Capcom Vancouver is hiring like freaking crazy right now and it looks like they may even have some unnannounced things in the works going down there. If Vancouver sounds do-able for you I'd strongly suggest putting in there. Its on my hitlist of studios to try since its not only one I know is hiring, but its one of the studios Capcom has that seems to be on the rise given its profitability since DR2.

If ya need any industry leads or contact numbers for recruiters for any major studios I'd suggest jigsaw.com. Let me know if you'd like any info or tools I have with job boards once you graduate. My school has a pretty insane search engine built privately for their school thats tied into about every private, public, and in between job posting site you could think of. Streamlines the search pretty swiftly for jobs and you can find anything from Modeler positions in Europe to bicycle assembly in Puerto Rico through it.

That's really helpful of you, thanks. I may just lean on you when I start winding down my school life. Ideally I'd like to try for an internship at Capcom's San Mateo office next semester or the one after since I live in San Fran.

shaowebb

That's really helpful of you, thanks. I may just lean on you when I start winding down my school life. Ideally I'd like to try for an internship at Capcom's San Mateo office next semester or the one after since I live in San Fran.

I think San Mateo might be hiring some, but I haven't really got any knowledge about internships one way or the other with Capcom. I've just never heard of them specifically, but they probably got something along those lines. Everyone else does. Insomniac just finished up a big grab at Interns. Zynga guys get full pay and aren't distinguishable from real employees when you intern there. All that internet money (even though their losing cash lately).

PM me. I'll share what I got word on.

EDIT: Man I killed this thread. Sorry for the OT stuff. Feel free to continue onward about UMVC3 now...Here's a topic. Best middle position cast ( we already know the best anchor).

Tobe

Just got bak from next level, the place is heavenn for a fighting game fan. The only thing is that i thought it would be othrr level of competition i was bodying some folks with some of my B teams. I got to play chris g but on KOF. Maybe it was thr day or sonething but i def didnt see the monsters like noel, rayray and the likes. I guessing they all play at home doing crack sessipns. Im going tomorrow hoping to get some matches with chris g or someone really really good.

I'm starting to think that the best teams in this game are the ones that can be played in any order without getting weaker. Your characters last longer if they're constantly switching out, and it makes it harder for your opponent to maintain a consistent battle plan. No matter how strong it is, if you have a defined goal it only gives your opponent focus. I think that's a major reason it's so hard for people to deal with Combofiend. I think Filipino Champ will get there eventually. Justin Wong will keep winning on pure stubbornness. I think most other players have some sort of clear weakness.

Is Marvel still doing a joint anime with Tatsunoko in 2013? If so, I hope it's Marvel vs Tatsunoko vs Capcom for Niitsuma's team. I vaguely (extremely vaguely) remember reading about people hoping they could do a 3 way VS game...and that would make my head explode with awesome.

Good to hear your wrecking shop in NY Tobe. Good stuff.

Good work Bizgeta on winning dat arcade stick.

Also put me up for Shonen vs Capcom. I'm usually not one for sword guys, but very little would stop me from playing Ichigo, especially one with a Devil Trigger-like Bankai ^_^ Too bad Bleach gets so bad after the Rescue...

And finally, I'm thinking Spider-Man is a lock for top 10 point character. Viper, Zero, Dante, Strider are the are the only ones that are largely better against the whole cast than him on point properly assisted IMO -- I'd argue that many others of the usual suspects are the same or definitively below him. I'll admit that I'm a Spider-Stan, but this character...he's a menace </J Jonah Jameson>. Far too often I think the focus is too much on damage when it should be on neutral games, since the damage is so high in this game anyway.

So I haven't been playing as much Marvel as I'd like but I fired it up for the first time since December to play online and is there some sort of title glitch going around?
Last I played I just ranked up from rookie to fighter and after 10 matches or so I'm already 9th Lord.
I'm average at best.

You should both switch to Terranigma ;)

I approve of this post. shaowebb once again earns my respect. He is a man of wisdom.

What's going on, maaaaaaaaaaan!? Haven't seen you in here for a while!

:]

Sup. :D

I admit, I've got tired of stuff after the whole "No replay for console version" disaster, and the PS3-only exclusive characters over at SFxT (as much of a troll they might be) really doesn't help me like Capcom.

Nah, there's even more ranks after the numbered ones. That said, it is a little glitched and I was a Cosmic Judge for a while despite only playing a few dozen matches online.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

Right after I watched this, the day it was posted. I went into player matches and faced a guy using Hsien/Ghost Rider/Morrigan. Hsien/Ghost Rider trying to emulate Combofiend here and Morrigan trying to emulate Chris G's lame stuff.

People's willingness to bandwagon is pathetic.

Though I started using Thor after watching an ep of Marvelous Adventures :(

El Sloth

Banned
I missed I Wanna Be The Floe last night and actually had a good night's sleep!

...but reading over the thread makes me feel empty inside. Stick throwing? Noooooo

Azure J

Yoshi coming in with the EX Betrayalton/Carpet Bombing Eggs and Floe's reaction after that was my personal moment of the night. I could only keep up with yesterday's episode until about 5:30AM EST. This shit is killing my sleep schedule but it's like I'm living vicariously through Floe. "Just this one boss..."

Stream chat doesn't help matters much, they're all on some God Tier level trolling.

Xevren

Yeah that stream is so fucking hilarious. I still can't believe it gets 2k+ viewers at the late hours of the night.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yeah that stream is so fucking hilarious. I still can't believe it gets 2k+ viewers at the late hours of the night.

I just like how random stuff is. Too bad he doesn't play the games earlier.

Anybody part of the EG network gets tons of views. Huk and the rest of the SC people average over that whenever they stream. Once a member streams, followers of anybody in the network are aware.

I'm hoping somebody made a thread for Savage Saturday. It's going to be a consistent thing from now on. Maybe we'll see Tobe on stream.

Toronto also has their tournament today.
http://www.twitch.tv/torontotoptiers

I love the stream, but I wish it wasn't late at night. Going to watch the archived stream after work since I stopped at him getting Gimlet to death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom