• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your point? You are pointing out the 3 best Wolverines. This is Tobe. Either way a Wolverine player struggles with zoning no matter who's playing.

Aren't you basically Kimosabae the second? I probably shouldn't even respond to you.

It depends on how you define "struggle" because IMHO zoning can annoy Wolverine players but it's really hard for any zoner to have a significant edge against him when they get killed in one hit and Wolverine isn't an Haggar that's easy to be kept out.

Of course getting past Die's team is a big struggle for anyone but in general I don't agree that it's hard for Wolverine to beat zoning.

shaowebb

We should setup a theory fighter discussion thread to give us all a place to fantasize and talk mechanics on things we'd like to see someday. I did one for a DC/Marvel one a long time back but it should really just be a theoryfighter general thread to host everyone's thoughts.

Jump vs Capcom sounds awesome BTW and By God DC vs Marvel needs to happen someday. Anyone else think we should set up a theory fighter thread to post games we wish would happen, matchups we'd want, character movesets and game mechanics we've dreamed about?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
We should setup a theory fighter discussion thread to give us all a place to fantasize and talk mechanics on things we'd like to see someday. I did one for a DC/Marvel one a long time back but it should really just be a theoryfighter general thread to host everyone's thoughts.

Jump vs Capcom sounds awesome BTW and By God DC vs Marvel needs to happen someday. Anyone else think we should set up a theory fighter thread to post games we wish would happen, matchups we'd want, character movesets and game mechanics we've dreamed about?

Sound good, but I prefer to make a list of characters and add some idea to it but I wouldn't go too detailed with the information.

I don't know man. This is missing a lot of good SJ characters. Tsuna from Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Kenshin from Ruroni Kenshin, Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho...even Gon or Killua from Hunter x Hunter. I think you need to look at Jump Ultimate Stars, their playable character list was pretty damn good. Even Jump Super Stars has a good roster.

I'm glad Gintama was acknowledged though. Sena is....=/

I forget all about Ken from Fist of the North Star, Yu Yu Hakusho character and Kenshin. Other than those 3 characters, I haven't read those book but I will. I planned to start with Hunter x Hunter soon.

I know there are many good characters from all series but I have to research more. I will make a list of good and crazy SJ x C in future.

shaowebb

Anyone catch Chris G winning a tournament on sp00ky with a Chun/X-23/Hsien-Ko team just now? No? Anyone?

I saw him lose with that team on The Break vs Marlinpie. It was pretty good in theory though and if you knew the team you could probably do alright with the high low setups and mixups he was going for with X-23 and Hsien Ko. Low tier hero. Team would probably work better swapping Hsien Ko for Akuma tatsu, but thats boring by this point. I think Chris G is tired of all the repeat matches and just wants to add variety to the scene. I love him for that, because I tend to fall for low tier cast just to be different in most games. I think KoF is the only series I was too dedicated to top tiers to get sick of really. It'd be cool if Combofiend kept messing with Rocket Raccoon. I really want to see someone use the little guy. He'd likely need that Akuma Assist though. A lockdown that sets up for a teleport cr L mixup is pretty fun.

EDIT: Found it!
The Break Weekly #145 link

Sloosha

I saw him lose with that team on The Break vs Marlinpie. It was pretty good in theory though and if you knew the team you could probably do alright with the high low setups and mixups he was going for with X-23 and Hsien Ko. Low tier hero. Team would probably work better swapping Hsien Ko for Akuma tatsu, but thats boring by this point. I think Chris G is tired of all the repeat matches and just wants to add variety to the scene. I love him for that, because I tend to fall for low tier cast just to be different in most games. I think KoF is the only series I was too dedicated to top tiers to get sick of really. It'd be cool if Combofiend kept messing with Rocket Raccoon. I really want to see someone use the little guy. He'd likely need that Akuma Assist though. A lockdown that sets up for a teleport cr L mixup is pretty fun.

I think Justin Wong has been messing around with Rocket Raccoon recently (That's what he said on one of his streams anyway).

I'm having trouble deciding on a team for RR myself. That Spencer synergy in the Japanese Combo video was interesting though.

Tobe

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!! I almost made it to losers fibals against joe but i fucked agaii a rabdom dude ugh it was my fault i choked badly. My match againts dieminionwas better tgan i expected and no i didnt play wolvie i played magnus morrigan sent. Any other day i wouldve made top 4. Thanks fo the supprt even if i couldnt see it when i was at next level. Lets go big two i wont settle for anyhing kess than top 8

Uncle AJ

They interviewed Chris after the tourney and pretty much validated what you just said; he just wanted to pick a team of low-tier characters and didn't care about their synergy (X-23 being "low tier" is debatable, though), and it was a welcome change of pace from "who can out-lame the other in a Morrigan fireball war" that's become the norm in Chris/Dieminion matches.

The team worked out though because the gold armor Hsien-ko assist pretty much blew up Dieminion's zoning tactics and caught Strange any time he was called out as an assist.

we started to stream marvel but an AE match was taking forever so the match holding us up on socal resolved before the ae match which pushed back the marvel stream time a tiny bit so you guys missed out on tobe1 by literally 1 match or so. if he blows it up at big 2 i'll see if i can push one of his matches through.

Tobe

we started to stream marvel but an AE match was taking forever so the match holding us up on socal resolved before the ae match which pushed back the marvel stream time a tiny bit so you guys missed out on tobe1 by literally 1 match or so. if he blows it up at big 2 i'll see if i can push one of his matches through.
Thanks man, btw nice meeting. I hate/love that tomorrow is super bowl day cuz i want to grind at next lwvwl but for sure nobody i gonna go. Well at least ill have central park all for myself

Frantic

Anybody up I'm going to test Marvel with these effects.
I'll hop on for a little bit, I guess.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!! I almost made it to losers fibals against joe but i fucked agaii a rabdom dude ugh it was my fault i choked badly. My match againts dieminionwas better tgan i expected and no i didnt play wolvie i played magnus morrigan sent. Any other day i wouldve made top 4. Thanks fo the supprt even if i couldnt see it when i was at next level. Lets go big two i wont settle for anyhing kess than top 8
We all have our off days. Hopefully we'll get to see you blow it up at Big Two. :p

Sound good, but I prefer to make a list of characters and add some idea to it but I wouldn't go too detailed with the information.

I forget all about Ken from Fist of the North Star, Yu Yu Hakusho character and Kenshin. Other than those 3 characters, I haven't read those book but I will. I planned to start with Hunter x Hunter soon.

I know there are many good characters from all series but I have to research more. I will make a list of good and crazy SJ x C in future.

I like the sound of this.

Made this a few months ago, its my one and only dream game.
GHM vs Capcom

The roster is incomplete, the goal is to have at least 25 reps for each side. I even have stages picked out too but thats incomplete as well. Like CvS2 I'd have 2 artists from both sides do all the character and promo art. Kozaki Yusuke and Kinu Nishimura. Oh the things I would do to have this game become a reailty.

Frantic

GGs Biz. I was playing soooo bad today(it's been probably a week since I last played against someone, so half the blame is on rust, the other is just on my own stupidity). The thing that made me saltiest was the fact that if I dropped a combo, Zero would have a 50/50 chance of getting a combo on me for messing up. If you dropped a combo, it's just a nice little reset that gives Zero meterless ToDs instead. So. Freaking. Frustrating.

I suppose I did handicap myself a little by having Iron Man second, but I don't think I would have done much better anyways with the way I was playing and my team structure... I think I need to put Dante second against you and run another character up front, just because he's my best character and I can't afford to lose him at the start of the round like I did in half of our matches. I should run Spencer first, but I've been kind of moving away from him. I just don't enjoy playing him as much as I used to. *shrug*

P.S: Strider is awesome.

The monster hunter hit freeze on every attack is so fucking annoying in SFxT. It really makes the game feel rough. If it was only on specials or only on hit, that'd be one thing. But when every jab pauses the game for 10 frames it starts to piss me off. I'm still buying the game but damn.
Sounds really weird. I'd have to try it to understand this. Doesn't sound very nice though...
Hey SolarPowered, send me a copy of that PM you sent Enzo regarding the VS footage. I've been slacking on my personal stash of footage. I'm also thinking of bugging you for some Guilty Gear stuff since I've wanted to see how that game looks at its highest levels for years now.
Sorry it is taking so long. I've never really made folders out of this stuff so it's all over the place. Your post just inspired me to make folders for Blazblue, Skullgirls(holy shit this will be ridiculous), Mahvel and Guilty Gear.
Poor Floe haha
Yoshi coming in with the EX Betrayalton/Carpet Bombing Eggs and Floe's reaction after that was my personal moment of the night. I could only keep up with yesterday's episode until about 5:30AM EST. This shit is killing my sleep schedule but it's like I'm living vicariously through Floe. "Just this one boss..."

Stream chat doesn't help matters much, they're all on some God Tier level trolling.
One of my favorite parts was Floe screaming at the stream monsters haha.
Oh man, Team Kenshin would be so fucking godlike. Kenshin/Saito/Makoto Shishio? Fucking beast team. Spirit Detective team would be amazing as well. There's so much to choose from. I need a list of all the properties ever covered by SJ now, I'm tempted to do a 25 per side roster for this hypothetical game. :lol
How could you possibly make a Kenshin team without Hiko Seijuro? That man is freaking boss. Kenshin would be broke in instant though lol. Free berderper slashes all day.
Jump Ultimate Stars roster:
It'd be hilarious if Kagura's father were a god tier battler who gets debuffed by Kagura in her helper form lol.

Edit: WTF is Kuwabara not doing as a battler? Throw Yukina in there as a helper and only god tier Battousai the manslayer could stop him.
I don't mean to offend Tobe in any way btw.
I was just messing around.
The Samurai X movies for Kenshin are also amazing pieces of art. If you've seen that then you would know that he earns his spot haha. The anime is awesome too though(at least the first half...).
With science we can see what Marvel looks like to a game journo.
You don't need science. Just have someone spam sou sou sou sou sou sou on stream with commentary watching. They'll quickly see the game from a game journalist's point of view.

Azure J

Sorry it is taking so long. I've never really made folders out of this stuff so it's all over the place. Your post just inspired me to make folders for Blazblue, Skullgirls(holy shit this will be ridiculous), Mahvel and Guilty Gear.

I need to organize more by game now. I thought I wouldn't be highlighting and bookmarking so much, but damn, in like the last 10 or so months, I've consumed so much footage.

How could you possibly make a Kenshin team without Hiko Seijuro? That man is freaking boss. Kenshin would be broke in instant though lol. Free berderper slashes all day.

I just realized that every character from that series could be broken as fuck. It also has the highest number of characters I would want to see in game. The aforementioned three was just me being modest with my numbers, but imagine shit with Sanosuke, Aoshi, motherfucking Sojiro (fuck Berserker Slash, we got a finisher that's Gimlet fast and invisible like Dirt Nap :lol), and quite a few more.

WTF is Kuwabara not doing as a battler? Throw Yukina in there as a helper and only god tier Battousai the manslayer could stop him.

Yeah, this shit wasn't cool. Kuwabara is the fucking man. :lol

God damnit Mahvel GAF, stop pushing me closer to indulging in a theory roster. It's bad enough I went and re-visited my Megaman X recently because of conversations in here before.

The Samurai X movies for Kenshin are also amazing pieces of art. If you've seen that then you would know that he earns his spot haha. The anime is awesome too though(at least the first half...).

These movies were so fucking good, and yet, I still prefer the tone of the manga/first 2/3rds of the series to it. Here's hoping that Rurouni Kenshin remastered series goes full on through the manga's events. I'm still so hype that this is happening.

You don't need science. Just have someone spam sou sou sou sou sou sou on stream with commentary watching. They'll quickly see the game from a game journalist's point of view.

I honestly don't know how I enjoy seeing SouSous thrown around as much as I do on stream. I think it has something to do with my love for the strangest form of projectile wars in Smash Bros.

These effects are wiiiiild. The sketchbook style in the first video is especially cool.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
These movies were so fucking good, and yet, I still prefer the tone of the manga/first 2/3rds of the series to it. Here's hoping that Rurouni Kenshin remastered series goes full on through the manga's events. I'm still so hype that this is happening.

Isn't that only the OVA centering on Misao during the Shishio thing? I kind of never want to watch the second movie due to how depressing it allegedly is. The first one was like that as well, but I'd like to think after all that crap Kenshin got a happy ending and so does the original author.

Azure J

Isn't that only the OVA centering on Misao during the Shishio thing? I kind of never want to watch the second movie due to how depressing it allegedly is. The first one was like that as well, but I'd like to think after all that crap Kenshin got a happy ending and so does the original author.

OK, so this post just made me check up on the situation behind the new anime project and damn, it was just two new OVAs. Hype somewhat tempered now.

Edit: Fucking fuck, I just went back to the GAF thread on it and realized that it was a long time ago I had put this in the back of my head as happening. Fucking mad as hell right now, why remake an arc that was already BEST TIER when everyone was fucking looking for some Jinchuu? [/late and salty]

As for the actual movies, the second one was daaaamn depressing. I enjoyed it for an alternate "what if" take on how brutal the era could have been but I'm definitely a "good end" supporter when it comes to this series. :lol

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
OK, so this post just made me check up on the situation behind the new anime project and damn, it was just two new OVAs. Hype somewhat tempered now.

Oops, sorry to do that to you man. Thought you already knew. I still remember when I had my hopes crushed. Shishio arc was the highlight of the series for me, but I don't know how the whole focusing on Misao would not somewhat dilute it.

Azure J

Oops, sorry to do that to you man. Thought you already knew. I still remember when I had my hopes crushed. Shishio arc was the highlight of the series for me, but I don't know how the whole focusing on Misao would not somewhat dilute it.

This is a crushing reminder of why I should really pay attention to subscribed threads more often. :lol

Edit: You know, I spend more time talking about team composition than actually playing lately. This sucks. :lol

Marvel-GAF.. I need help.

I have a pretty long history of playing fighting games at a decent-high level here in so cal (including 8 or so years with MVC2), but for whatever reason - I cannot get a feel for MVC3. At all. I can't block (which is strange coming from the never-ending MVC2 guessing games), I constantly get caught with my assist, and for the most part I feel like my characters are standing on ice.

My current team is Mag/Vergil/Doom (considering switching to wesker/vergil/mag) and combos aren't really an issue for me.. I can do the magnetic blast loops and resets with missile assist, same goes for Vergil combos with that assist and Doom's standard MM, Dive, S, relaunch combo. BUT, all of that is completely worthless when I have such a hard time opening people up to get anything started.

I guess I don't feel "grounded" when I'm playing, if that makes sense. I'm just all over the place without a real game plan and it's a huge mess. Maybe I'm just spending too much time in training and not enough time playing real people. SO.. Who still plays on PSN?

Akuma/Frank say hi. Those are the reasons the best Logans still can do work. They can go through projectiles but not Doom/Morrigan or the eventual wall of arrows that Hawkeye will produce.

Sloosha

Which character, with a good horizontal projectile assist, is the best anchor? Magneto? Hawkeye? Also, is Chris a viable anchor? Trying to fill out the final spot for my RR team.

Dahbomb

Magneto, Arthur, Doom, Trish, Dante, Taskmaster, Hawkeye, Iron Man, Strange are characters that CAN be played at anchor who have a good horizontal projectile assist. Of these I like the first 3 the best.

Chris doesn't make a good anchor neither does Ghost Rider and he has a horizontal assist as well.

Sloosha

Thanks for the info; I think I'll stick with Doom. Trying to learn this game properly now, rather then staying in training mode and learning combos. Finally think I've got the Alouine RR combo and boulder loop down.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sven answers some questions about UMvC3:

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 sold 600,000 copies, is that satisfactory for you? Also, what's next for the game? — Greg

Svensson: SSFIV sold more in the same window. UMVC3 I would expect to have long legs. We ship a more every week and the North American market is the lion's share of the world wide volume. That said, I'm a little bummed we aren't on track to beat SSFIV. I had hoped the attractive price coupled with the Marvel brand during the holiday launch period would have broke us out more broadly. Don't get me wrong, we didn't do badly, but I still think the game deserves more, as good as it is.

I can't speak to what could be next right now. Sorry.

How did Capcom go from good net code SSF4 to worse net code MvC3? —

Svensson: Different teams and different internal people working on them, completely different producers (Niitsuma on MvC3/UMvC3 and Ono on SFIV, SSFIV, SFxT) and as a result, completely different directives and absolutely no code has been shared between them.

Magneto, Arthur, Doom, Trish, Dante, Taskmaster, Hawkeye, Iron Man, Strange are characters that CAN be played at anchor who have a good horizontal projectile assist. Of these I like the first 3 the best.

Chris doesn't make a good anchor neither does Ghost Rider and he has a horizontal assist as well.
So you've done a 180 from when you said Iron Man is a bad anchor then?

Grecco

Which character, with a good horizontal projectile assist, is the best anchor? Magneto? Hawkeye? Also, is Chris a viable anchor? Trying to fill out the final spot for my RR team.

I think Doom honestly. Just my opinion of course.

Chris needs assist imo. Hes best at point/

Sup. :D

I admit, I've got tired of stuff after the whole "No replay for console version" disaster, and the PS3-only exclusive characters over at SFxT (as much of a troll they might be) really doesn't help me like Capcom.
Just treat the stuff they make like a nice little side game and it gets much easier to play and watch. That is how I got over a lot of the dumb shit. Mahvel is my little side game for fun with GAF and when I'm bored.
I just realized that every character from that series could be broken as fuck. It also has the highest number of characters I would want to see in game. The aforementioned three was just me being modest with my numbers, but imagine shit with Sanosuke, Aoshi, motherfucking Sojiro (fuck Berserker Slash, we got a finisher that's Gimlet fast and invisible like Dirt Nap :lol), and quite a few more.
Let's just hope that the straps on his sandals break often. :p
Don't read much Manga and I never had a chance to go through them. The animated series is good in the first half too, but the movies are truly on a whole other level. They are made of the stuff that would make anyone more curious about Japanese animation.
Yeah, watching the game everything seems fine. But you can't roll down the magic series like marvel, you have to consciously pause between each button.
Sounds like links from SFIV. I thought that SFxTekken had chain combos at first which got removed later on after the EVO showing. I remember people complaining about the change a lot.

Stuff like that is why I can't take Ono and his team seriously for something like DS. They just don't seem like they are at that level at all. *shrugs*
so you are officially dumping hsien ko for doom solar? saw you using him on the stream.
It is over for her as a character(side and main) in Mahvel unless she gets put on the juice for a possible Megaman edition. That character comes with way too much baggage. I'll stick to playing her in Vsav instead.

In other news... I did my first midscreen Doom combo this morning after checking it on youtube quickly. Yeah, he fits on my team really well. I just don't know how the hell to use him yet.
I can play BTW, but not for too long. I got some midterm stuff to do tonight as well. Send me a game invite. Dynasty Penguin aka I'm gonna be free with all this rust...
You are not the only one. The paint on my walls was practically peeling off Silent Hill style haha.
They actually wanted this thing to approach SSFIV levels of legs when they practically shat on everyone who was not a hardcore fan? Damn, they really are dumber than I thought.

It'd be nice if they pounded him with some tough questions like "will you actually start adding features that have been popular in the Street Fighter games or is it just PR talk for the Marvel vs Capcom 3 games?". I'd like something like that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They actually wanted this thing to approach SSFIV levels of legs when they practically shat on everyone who was not a hardcore fan? Damn, they really are dumber than I thought.

It'd be nice if they pounded him with some tough questions like "will you actually start adding features that have been popular in the Street Fighter games or is it just PR talk for the Marvel vs Capcom 3 games?". I'd like something like that.
What do you mean adding features popular in SF games?

They've said before that they strive for feature parity, but also like to have competition between teams. It just so turned out Ono gets the bigger budget and time because he's handling the bigger property, so their sense of competition amounts to a clear worse and better. At least that's the way I look at it.

Outside of the Vita thing though. Sony has dumped money closets into Capcom for UMvC3 & SFxTK Vita/SFxTK console. Which is unfortunate.

Degen

man, when i come back to online mvc3, you guys are so dead, i don't even know where to start. i just-- i don't even.

play soulcalibur. it's a good game

DR2K

Banned
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 sold 600,000 copies, is that satisfactory for you? Also, what's next for the game? — Greg

Svensson: SSFIV sold more in the same window. UMVC3 I would expect to have long legs. We ship a more every week and the North American market is the lion's share of the world wide volume. That said, I'm a little bummed we aren't on track to beat SSFIV. I had hoped the attractive price coupled with the Marvel brand during the holiday launch period would have broke us out more broadly. Don't get me wrong, we didn't do badly, but I still think the game deserves more, as good as it is.

Should have added characters people wanted to play as. Street Fighter, X-Men, Megaman, etc. . . you chose small niche's instead. Congrats on the sales!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, surprised they don't view 600.000 in this timeframe as a win all things considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom