• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
An "egg hunt" implies that you got something, though.
The point of the egg hunt analogy is that they're eggs. They're completely worthless to a child - your mom has them in the fridge. You're engaging in the hunt for the pure joy of pretending that there's something more to what's going on. The object is inconsequential, and thus the analogy fits.

The point of the egg hunt analogy is that they're eggs. They're completely worthless to a child - your mom has them in the fridge. You're engaging in the hunt for the pure joy of pretending that there's something more to what's going on. The object is inconsequential, and thus the analogy fits.

...I was just about to argue semantics about egg hunts, but realized it's probably not worth it. So I'm just gonna drop it.

Guys... get your BODY ready for tomorrow.

I have no idea what to expect... no idea.
I know what to expect.

8AM - Wake up to alarm, tell wife to take her shower.
8:30AM - Take my shower and get dressed.
9AM - Unplug my computer and box it.
10AM - Go pick up the U-Haul truck.
10AM to 3PM - Load and unload the truck.
3PM to 5PM - Wait for Comcast guy to show up and hook up our internet.
5PM to 6PM - Take my friend out to dinner for helping my wife and I move.
6PM Onward - Hopefully watch Marvel, but it depends on how long my friend wants to stay.

My day sucks, I'm going to miss so much hype.

/whining

was trying to grind out the glitch and I had no idea what to do :(
It seems like the whole internet pretty much gave up.

Guys... get your BODY ready for tomorrow.

I have no idea what to expect... no idea.

The hype is gonna make it difficult to sleep!

Anyways, huh, my friend told me they were gonna 5v5 the Japanese today/yesterday depending on your timezone, but I haven't heard anything else. Wonder what happened to that. I guess they're just waiting for SFIV to be over.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Our hype is with you, Karst.

Everyone, we've done this a trillion times but pools are imminent. Call your winner. Who you want to win or who you think is likely to win. Pick only one. Make that hard choice, after AE, Marvel predictions are super hard mode. We'll do this again once we have top 8.

My pick? Viscant. The one who shines the light of purity through the darkness. As long as he doesn't stumble into Chris G, Flocker or FChamp too early on, I think he has a shot for Top 16. Other than that, I just want his smart play to win. He relies on reads more than the dirtiness of his mix ups (some of which are still especially dirty). He is the hero we deserve, but he has a long road ahead.

Dahbomb

I know what to expect.

8AM - Wake up to alarm, tell wife to take her shower.
8:30AM - Take my shower and get dressed.
9AM - Unplug my computer and box it.
10AM - Go pick up the U-Haul truck.
10AM to 3PM - Load and unload the truck.
3PM to 5PM - Wait for Comcast guy to show up and hook up our internet.
5PM to 6PM - Take my friend out to dinner for helping my wife and I move.
6PM Onward - Hopefully watch Marvel, but it depends on how long my friend wants to stay.

My day sucks, I'm going to miss so much hype.

/whining
I will get twice as hyped up just for you.

FChamp or Justin Wong to take it and I never bet against Justin "Marvelous" Wong. Plus I already bet on Vergil.

I want Abegen to win. I love my "low tier" upsets. If not him, then a Zero player so Zero players can stop saying he doesn't win tournaments, or Yipes because his Dante is worth watching. Who do I think will win? I haven't the slightest. Tomorrow is a day of blow-ups from new technology all over the place.

I will get twice as hyped up just for you.
Our hype is with you, Karst.
I will call upon the thread for a hype debriefing when I finally get my internet up! Hopefully Comcast doesn't have a problem with drilling through brick...

I think Abegen will make it to top 16. His team excells in the 2/3 format.

But unsure if he will win it. Unless he has been sandbagging it with Thor.
His Thor flounders and the team doesn't suit him well. If I were Abegen, I would swap to MODOK. You can do the exact same grapple DHC trick he does with Thor, but MODOK gets full combos off of his command grab hyper, and She-Hulk gives him legitimate unblockables. He could use Psionic Blaster to replace Mighty Spark, or Shield Barrier for command grab setups that will make opponents cry.

Anyway, I'm going to bed. Enjoy the show tomorrow, gentlemen!

Dahbomb

He made top 8 in at least 3 tournaments this season. 2 of them were the biggest tournaments of the year (CEO and Final Round). His best is top 3 at Final Round.

I think just like PRBalrog he gets TOO mind fucked playing against Phoenix or against characters he doesn't know. He was looking super strong at CEO until he met with Zero and just basically caved in.

He has the skill to make top 8 EVO but he might not have the mental strength yet. I know that's funny to hear that considering he HAS won EVO before but different game requires a some what different mentality. Yipes is very prone to getting blown up by stuff he hasn't seen before.

And yeah Abegen's team is bad for Thor. Also Abegen doesn't go for nearly as many Mighty Hurricanes in the air like Royal Flush does. If they both combined their tech and fundamentals with Thor then that would be a really scary Thor player (and of course put Thor in a team with actual assists). I like MODOK on that team too but again, it's MODOK without a good neutral assist to work with.

Well, except he can use She Hulk's slide to pull off Thor's 900k plus combos. But yeah. Most people say his Thor is lacking. MODOK would probably be better on the team anyway.

shaowebb

Well the two most entertaining players I know out there are Kusoru and Royal Flush and I don't think either will make it through the marathon to top 16.

My pick for the winner is one of these 4

• Justin Wong
  • Chris G
  • Marlin Pie
  • F. Champ

I believe it'll be one of these four due to how consistent they are in reading opponents and capitolizing (as we saw from F. Champ's stall to let the pressure break down his opponent in Grand Finals recently...the man beat his opponent more than the opponent's tech).

Out of these 4 its hard to decide because this is how I see them.

• Justin Wong plays a team with Iron Fist that relies heavily on the other 2 characters. I think if a top player snaps in Akuma and kills him he's in trouble just because he's really only playing with 2 guys. If they don't leave opening for Iron Fist he will lose that character and potentially eat the round on the entry mixup. Its this point that his matches take the biggest turn at in my eyes. If he blocks the mixup he's got a shot, but if he eats it he potentially goes down to one dude and one guy only has so many OCV's in him.
  • Chris G is a heavy favorite in my eyes because he is ridiculously good at reactionary play, exploiting openings, and his team is insanely hard to deal with. His only problem is he gets so frustrated with himself if something goes wrong that he starts to lose his composure and his game starts to go downhill with mistakes. If he lets himself have fun out there I see him winning it, but if he gets upset he's likely going to mindfuck himself so hard that he will give up before its over during some matches that aren't going his way. Chris G beats himself up harder than any other player.
  • Marlinpie is just godlike. Best execution and technical mind out there. I honestly doubt he'll use a glitch like the assist thing during EVO, but who knows? His biggest problem is he hits so many buttons that if he dedicates himself to doing some insanely technical combo that he doesn't slow down his hands enough to stop hitting crap when it misses and he doesn't block the opponent enough. I see him making top 16, but honestly I see him getting crushed by either F.Champ, Combofiend or Justin Wong at some point.
  • F.champ is ruthless and solid. He reads people like a book and he plays heel to try and piss them off enough that they make mistakes. He's like evil Justin Wong except I think his team is better. His only weakness is he has low health and worships Phoenix too much. If he gets opened up he wont get a second chance with some of these guys, but if you make a mistake with him you wont get one either.

I guess if I had to pick I'd say Justin Wong. He has backup characters and plays the man more than the matchup and doesn't lose his cool when hes down to his last guy. He never gives up and he actually plays smarter under pressure in my eyes. Him and Combofiend are the best pressure players in my eyes as both seem to get more dangerous as there back is to the wall. However, Justin is better at reading his opponent in my eyes.

Overall, I think the Wong-factor wins this.I doubt he will be able to go the whole way with Iron Fist though. I'm betting Storm comes in several times to replace him in rough sets.

Justin Wong is my pick. Second choice is F.Champ. I honestly see Chris and Marlin getting smoked in losers before top 8. These four are just who I see as the most skilled players at this game. Out of those 4 though I only think either Justin or F.Champ have the composure to make it all the way through to the finals. I just see those two as having the smallest chinks in their play and composure compared to my other two choices for top players. Between Justin and F.Champ though I see Justin making it again.

shaowebb

Pretty sure Wong isn't using IF. Kusuro is still MIA from EVO.

I figured he wouldn't. The matchups are just too inconsistent. Sure Wolverine and Akuma score big, but really Iron Fist does nothing for the team...Justin just likes using him and is busy playing at being Justin with the character. In other words I think he likes Iron Fist because it means he gets to play pure fundamentals and opponent reading when he uses him. Thats not wat you do to win EVO...you play someone with as many tools and mixups as you can get. In an event like EVO though you play smart and go for the win and with all the matches you gotta play its a marathon that wears you down. You play someone with combos that has actual mixups to go as far as you can. He might pop Iron Fist out on certain opponents in later rounds if he feels confident in himself and in reading the opponent suffering under heavy pressure. I just don't see him doing it though.

Justin will win it in my eyes, but I just don't see Iron Fist getting used to do it.

EDIT: If he does though expect an explosion of hype from me when I get off work Sunday.

Mit-

MarlinPie doesn't win majors, especially ones this big. I love the guy, and he's got the best combos out there, but he doesn't have the stats to back up winning a tournament this big.

ChrisG has some very big demons out there now, mainly FChamp. If he has to play FChamp anywhere he's done.

I like Champ or Justin to win, and I'd put my money on Justin. If not one of them, then it'll be some Zero team that doesn't drop lightning loops for the whole tournament.

smurfx

get some go again
MarlinPie doesn't win majors, especially ones this big. I love the guy, and he's got the best combos out there, but he doesn't have the stats to back up winning a tournament this big.

ChrisG has some very big demons out there now, mainly FChamp. If he has to play FChamp anywhere he's done.
what? champ beat him at ECT but chris g ran it back at CEO and beat him. if anybody is his demon its justin wong.

I like Champ or Justin to win, and I'd put my money on Justin. If not one of them, then it'll be some Zero team that doesn't drop lightning loops for the whole tournament.
Chris G's only demons are the saltshaker and his own mistakes.

GatorBait

Seth snap back tech is to hit someone when they are X factoring. You were vulnerable to a physical attack within 1 frame of X factoring and snap back being 1 frame allowed you to blow up XFC. Can't do that anymore with Snap backs being 2 frame.

The UMvC3 patch also fixed it so that you can block immediately after X-factoring. I remember a Filipino Champ match where he X-factored with Phoenix in the middle of Arthur's level 3 and got hit. Champ was so mindfucked over not understanding what happened, but that was when nobody knew there was that 1-frame vulnerability after X-factoring.

rocK`

Banned
Justin wont win this. Its either Yipes or FChamp or somebody else imo.

orly

what majors did yipes place in? i'm not hating on the guy, my favorite marvel player - but he doesnt do well in big tournaments.

to say what you said with such confidence is weird.

Grecco

No, what happened? I was not like the crazy people who expected Darkstalkers or something. Did they point and laugh at someone who asked about Fake-Lei?

1.No interest in patching anything, 2.We are here to talk about the future of Marvel so here are two slides from the making of Vanilla Marvel 3. Lots of terrible questions to the panel including questions on Hsienkos air dash, (We made her just like in Darkstalkers!) and about Spidermans Assists (GET BETTER WITH SPIDERMAN BRO! )

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
DevilJin 01 on srk said:
Oh btw...remember Rogueyoshi?

*quicksilver glitch video*

Apparently word on the street is he also found new tech that's basically worse than that and half the cast can do it. I'm not going to spill the beans on it but let's just say it falls in line with what people have been discovering so far though it's a bit different. There must just be something about being able to make your character invincible that people are cracking out except it's on a way worse scale than the stuff Marlin was describing.

Oh and no I don't know how to do it.

What is really going on this Evo? Lol. Today has the potential to be really fucking funny.

Grecco

With a dead character, hold the tag button for the dead char during an opponents super flash, then snapback on the end of it. #kubotaescape

If its just vs opponents super flash then its not that big of a deal

NEO0MJ

Have a question for you guys. Is the DLC region locked? Found this game for cheap but it's an E.U. version and want to make sure my U.S DLC works before buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom