• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully we can see more Iron fist tommorrow, I really wanna post this

ironfist-immortal.jpg

Dahbomb

I had FChamp to win EVO quite a while ago but even then his performance at EVO far exceeded my expectations. He didn't lose a single game making it to top 8. Let that sink in for a minute...

But of course I never bet against Justin "Marvelous" Wong... that's a policy I have to always keep.

There is way too much to talk about what happened today and I am tired as fuck. Will probably talk about it tomorrow but then again tomorrow is top 8 so....

Like I said before the tourney, FChamp is my pick. Two legit teams that play very very differently.

Also, the amount of Spider-Man love in the EVO thread that came out during Mame's run is extra motivation. I did just buy the movie game though so that'll be some demotivation :3

Also, a Chris Evans in top 8 = 4th of July celebrations going into the weekend.

Dahbomb

He lost a game to Chou I thought.
Pretty sure that was a 3-0 mauling. FChamp got up after every win too.

It's pretty sad that people are rooting against FChamp because of the characters he is picking or because of his personality because right now no one can deny that he truly deserves the title.

kirblar

Did we see Justins rumored Wolverine tech in that last match? Involving swisse cheese?

it looked like he used Swiss cheese after a teched throw? Maybe im nuts.
Yeah, it looks like if they tech and don't block, he gets the cheese, and if they do, he has frame advantage from the cheese.

I really want Frutsy to win. In part because he uses MODOK, and also in pretty big part because I have to support a fellow Mexican. Realistically, I don't expect it to happen considering that it was Chou who sent him to losers, and we all saw how he did vs Champ. Still, god damn it I really want it to happen >___<

Inspired by the EVO thread, could anyone do me a favor and photoshop a sombrero and a mustache to my avatar?

Fine, I did it myself >_>

I really want Frutsy to win. In part because he uses MODOK, and also in pretty big part because I have to support a fellow Mexican. Realistically, I don't expect it to happen considering that it was Chou who sent him to losers, and we all saw how he did vs Champ. Still, god damn it I really want it to happen >___<

A Captain winning would be so Marvel. Secretly rooting for him too.

Frantic

It's pretty sad that people are rooting against FChamp because of the characters he is picking or because of his personality because right now no one can deny that he truly deserves the title.
Honestly, I don't have a problem with Champ winning or anything because he's really, really good... but everytime I saw him get bailed out by Hidden Missiles combo breaker, I couldn't help but get salty. Hate that assist so much. Q_Q

shaowebb

I expect F Champ to take it, I predicted Justin Wong with F Champ as backup, but Justin has played sloppy today. Still I'll predict Justin, but could you imagine the heel overlording F Champ would do on mic all year if he got EVO. Plus 2 years in a row Dark Phoenix would take it!

The guy I'd "like" to see win the most though has to be Frutsy. I like MODOK a lot and just never stuck with him. His rushdown combos and mixups on incoming guys are phenomenal and his Balloon Bomb is an assist I've said for a loooooooong while was good. This guy has taken all that character potential and made it work. Plus he's rocking the Elvis version! Sooooooo would love to see this guy take it.

Dahbomb

I don't think Justin played sloppy aside from that one match in pools. Combofiend beat him by out playing him, Justin barely made any mistakes it was just Combofiend simply playing better than him. It's a very rare moment in Marvel that you see a moment like this, last time this happened where I felt Justin was actually out played and not out gimmicked or out tiered was Final Round again vs Combofiend.

Hey guys....I post on neogaf very rarely but normally its in this thread. Anyway, I've been watching EVO on and off throughout the day and its been a lot of fun.

I just wanted to share a really awesome story that happened to me tonight...I know a couple of people here are from New Orleans, and if you happen to know the bar called Mimi's on the Marigny, well I was there tonight. You know who else was therE? MAGNETO!!!!!!

Michael Fassbender was hanging out at the bar kinda by himself and a friend of mine recognized him so we talked for awhile. He is in town filming a movie, he has been for the last 6 weeks, and he leaves for London on Thursday. I asked him if he knew about Marvel vs. Capcom and EVO and he had like no idea what I was talking about, but either way he was really nice and it was great to meet him.

shaowebb

Im still mad at that arthur derping out on free wins

Me too >:C
Why was he blowing meter on fists when all he had to do was SAVE THAT 3RD METER FOR FIRE DRAGON ON PHOENIX!?

Not only that but at one point he had 4 bars and he blew two hypers. Was he hoping to fist, hop, open her up? I jsut blame nerves because that was a really disappointing showing.

I can't knock MODOK though. I tried him a LOT in Vanilla when I had point troubles for Ryu/Sent and that guy is fun. All those bounces, corner traps, and juggles are beautiful and his options are legit. No one plays him though because he's tricky and takes work is my guess. Hopefully this turns some heads because he is easily one of the most versatile threats out there in the right hands. I've always loved balloon bomb because it just interferes with so much with how long it stays and with how it moves. It creates great traps too. My dream is for Marlinpie to create a backpocket team just for MODOK.

Grecco

Alright picks for the winner tomorrow?

Uh I'll say FChamp. And maybe he can use his prize money to buy a belt to keep his damn pants on.

Fchamp probably. Wanted either Yipes, or Viscant to make it. When they didnt i wanted Chou for that salt but neither did. Fchamp is easly the favorite.

GatorBait

I want to see dat MODOK wreck havoc.

Second, choice is Combofiend. For some reason, I've always liked his play ever since his first vanilla MvC3 team.

I don't expect the MODOK player to win it - he's just not that good. I am glad he made top 8 though, and I'd like to see him make top 4 at least.

Hey guys....I post on neogaf very rarely but normally its in this thread. Anyway, I've been watching EVO on and off throughout the day and its been a lot of fun.

I just wanted to share a really awesome story that happened to me tonight...I know a couple of people here are from New Orleans, and if you happen to know the bar called Mimi's on the Marigny, well I was there tonight. You know who else was therE? MAGNETO!!!!!!

Michael Fassbender was hanging out at the bar kinda by himself and a friend of mine recognized him so we talked for awhile. He is in town filming a movie, he has been for the last 6 weeks, and he leaves for London on Thursday. I asked him if he knew about Marvel vs. Capcom and EVO and he had like no idea what I was talking about, but either way he was really nice and it was great to meet him.
Haha, that's cool.

Im still mad at that arthur derping out on free wins
One of my most upset moments at Evo, right up there with having the foreign nation players playing against each other. I think Evo brackets should take nationality into account, and the JP, Mexico, etc. players should all be spread as far apart as possible.

I was hoping Mame Spider would make it a bit further but from what we've got in the top 8, I think FChamp has a good shot at taking it. I hope Combo wreaks his shit early on making Jean a non-factor, I don't like his odds if FChamp gets her out. What's his record on matches where Dark Phoenix gets activated? Probably something crazy

Really wanna see Frutsy cause some ripples in top 8 even if he gets bumped out

Evo so fucking hype, nearly had a heart attack watching Yipes vs JWong

Dahbomb

I don't expect the MODOK player to win it - he's just not that good. I am glad he made top 8 though, and I'd like to see him make top 4 at least.
That guy is definitely very good. His fundamentals are amazing and he doesn't drop MODOK combos often. He is also on a legendary run. He keeps making impeccable reads on players and his decision making has been insane given the stage he is on.

He is a dark horse at this point. I don't think he is going to win it but he is definitely a good player.

Also Viscant was almost close on his top 8 prediction, if it was him instead of Frutsy in top 8 then he basically "called" the top 8 of EVO weeks in advance yet again. I actually though he MIGHT make it out with the way he was counter picking and how he was just destroying Flocker's Zero. Too bad he had the biggest choke in Marvel history, I don't think that can be topped.

JeTmAn81

I would really love for Combofiend to win it. He actually beat FChamp in top 8 last year. It's also a wild card factor that he brought back the Nova team. But I think the Champ is probably just too strong .

That guy is definitely very good. His fundamentals are amazing and he doesn't drop MODOK combos often. He is also on a legendary run. He keeps making impeccable reads on players and his decision making has been insane given the stage he is on.

He is a dark horse at this point. I don't think he is going to win it but he is definitely a good player.
Woah woah. Read my post again. I didn't say he wasn't good. I said he wasn't that good.

Also Viscant was almost close on his top 8 prediction, if it was him instead of Frutsy in top 8 then he basically "called" the top 8 of EVO weeks in advance yet again. I actually though he MIGHT make it out with the way he was counter picking and how he was just destroying Flocker's Zero. Too bad he had the biggest choke in Marvel history, I don't think that can be topped.
Agreed.

Dahbomb

It's actually a bit funny, someone actually did that in pools (called Phoenix sitting on 5 bars as an assist) and people blew that guy up. I seriously thought that couldn't be topped for a long time in Marvel and sure enough it happened in the same tournament and to Viscant of all people.

kirblar

It's actually a bit funny, someone actually did that in pools (called Phoenix sitting on 5 bars as an assist) and people blew that guy up. I seriously thought that couldn't be topped for a long time in Marvel and sure enough it happened in the same tournament and to Viscant of all people.
Do we have a replay of this moment available?

JeTmAn81

I wonder if FChamp will be running his Dorm team in top 8. It seems like he feels Phoenix is more vulnerable to top tier players. However i wonder if Nova's takedown move could prove useful to Combo if he starts spamming.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Did we get to see the whole Yipes using the crown part of SS for less meter? I think I saw people in the thread saying they saw it buy I wasn't paying attention to the bars at the time he did it.

Did we get to see the whole Yipes using the crown part of SS for less meter? I think I saw people in the thread saying they saw it buy I wasn't paying attention to the bars at the time he did it.
I didn't see it.

I wonder if FChamp will be running his Dorm team in top 8. It seems like he feels Phoenix is more vulnerable to top tier players. However i wonder if Nova's takedown move could prove useful to Combo if he starts spamming.
It's not about which team is better, it's about which team has the better matchup against the opponent.

Dahbomb

He only used it two times but I wasn't paying attention to the meter so I don't know if he activated.

What are Dormmamus best matchups?
It depends on meter available, X-Factor, and teams.

1v1, no X-Factor, 1 bar of meter for each character, I think he has good matchups against a huge portion of the cast because he's so flexible, and a lot of characters can't do anything about Flame Carpet. It's actually easier to list his bad matchups, haha:
Dante
Vergil
Strider
Hawkeye
Super-Skrull
Deadpool
Zero

Probably Rocket Raccoon, but I've never fought a respectable one.

I honestly surprised MODOK hasn't been in the spotlight until now. Good MODOKs are some scary shit, but I suppose they are few and far between.

I loved the Tron, Thor and She Hulk guy. Great stuff from a low tier characters team. Time and time again people need to appreciate this game is about team configuration and not the overall usefulness of solo characters.

The Phoenix Wright player was Poltergust who is like tenth place in overal wins or something on PSN. Pretty awesome player.

As for predictions for the win I'm not too sure. I wanna say Chris G has a pretty good shot as I feel most of the time he has an impenetrable force with MorriDoom and even when things don't go his way he still has a strong offensive. Then again Champ and Justin Wong seem to know the game the best IMO. I think it's up in the air.

Grecco

It depends on meter available, X-Factor, and teams.

1v1, no X-Factor, 1 bar of meter for each character, I think he has good matchups against a huge portion of the cast because he's so flexible, and a lot of characters can't do anything about Flame Carpet. It's actually easier to list his bad matchups, haha:
Dante
Vergil
Strider
Hawkeye
Super-Skrull
Deadpool
Zero

Probably Rocket Raccoon, but I've never fought a respectable one.

Ive been considering picking him up after watching EVO this weekend. Zero/Dorm/ an assist

I honestly surprised MODOK hasn't been in the spotlight until now. Good MODOKs are some scary shit, but I suppose they are few and far between.
Aesthetics. People don't like ugly characters. Plus he's hard to use - double whammy!

I loved the Tron, Thor and She Hulk guy. Great stuff from a low tier characters team. Time and time again people need to appreciate this game is about team configuration and not the overall usefulness of solo characters.
Replace Thor with MODOK and the team just got 5x better. Completely serious on that claim. Same general setups Thor has, but a better solo character.

The Phoenix Wright player was Poltergust who is like tenth place in overal wins or something on PSN. Pretty awesome player.
Yeah, I PMed him on GFAQs and asked him if he'd mind me forwarding his PSN along to you. I thought you might want to play him. He said he won for really embarrassing reasons - major execution errors like messing up Doom's corner relaunch.

Ive been considering picking him up after watching EVO this weekend. Zero/Dorm/ an assist
I dig. Hidden Missiles or a beam assist work well.

You forgot Viper but okay. Nobody plays her anyway.
I've never had a C. Viper that gave me problems enough to mention it. I also don't think the tournament record shows her as a major problem for Dormammu. She's a great character, but that's not the same thing as a matchup problem.

Grecco

I really enjoyed watching Stone play. But he uses Zero/Wesker/Dorm Ill test some assists. Taskmaster arrows/Missiles/or Vajira maybe? I was thinking in the car about Liberation pillar into vajira into liberation pillar? I dont want to drop Taskmaster though lol

I really enjoyed watching Stone play. But he uses Zero/Wesker/Dorm Ill test some assists. Taskmaster arrows/Missiles/or Vajira maybe? I was thinking in the car about Liberation pillar into vajira into liberation pillar? I dont want to drop Taskmaster though lol
Zero/Wesker/Dorm can work. You're really going to need to get in on your own and then use Dark Hole for mix-ups. Hidden Missiles is a great choice, Vajra is mediocre. Yeah, you can use Vajra to get a double Purification in a combo, but that's not really noteworthy compared to most good Strider partners. Dormammu also really needs to burn meter to be effective, so Strider won't have Ouroborus all the time. Taskmaster can work, but IMO Taskmaster is not a great anchor. I think you're better off running Zero/Taskmaster/Dormammu. That way you can Sougenmu DHC Taskmaster in for really strong zoning.

Zero gets arrows, which is great for him. Taskmaster plays really solid without assists, and Dark Hole can make his Shield Skills into launcher safe while creating frame traps. Dormammu is a capable anchor, and it makes especially good sense on this team since people often burn X-Factor to kill Zero.

So, I would go with:
Zero (Hadangeki)
Taskmaster (Aim Master L)
Dormammu (Dark Hole)

I think this is a solid team.

smurfx

get some go again
You already lost the bet/claim on no Zero in top 8.
oh yeah i said that. i also lost because i picked marlinpie to take marvel. -_- no gonna lie he looked awful at fgtv but since i had already picked him i wasn't going to change my prediction. how did the gaffers do? who took out sixfortyfive? chavelo? biz? man chris g escaped by the skin of his teeth against that modok/skrull guy.

edit: well one thing i was right on is none of this new tech talked about being shown on screen.

Dahbomb

edit: well one thing i was right on is none of this new tech talked about being shown on screen.
TAC infinites were used though.

Also I don't like my odds on grand finals 3 character prediction either. I had Wolverine/Vergil/Akuma to make it in grand finals. I think it's going to be FChamp plus some other person so that other person has to be Flocker, Justin, Y2J or ChrisG for me to get any points for correct prediction. I honestly thought there would be more Vergils in top 8 than this.

TAC infinites were used though.

Also I don't like my odds on grand finals 3 character prediction either. I had Wolverine/Vergil/Akuma to make it in grand finals. I think it's going to be FChamp plus some other person so that other person has to be Flocker, Justin, Y2J or ChrisG for me to get any points for correct prediction. I honestly thought there would be more Vergils in top 8 than this.
The FGC takes a while to catch up to things. Remember how long it took for people to start using Phoenix en masse in Vanilla? Too long, is the answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom