• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

Hidden Missiles is game changing and game controlling, it's the best assist in the game and I am fucking tired of it's bull shit.

It's probably not going to get changed either, same as wesker.

So literally how many matchups had Doom missiles in them? I'd really like to know this as it seemed a dominant factor in most matchups since yesterday. A tool that ends combos, OTG's, and can lead to punishes that kill? Yeah its popular...but how popular was it total in top play?

seemed like the backbone of most players

Dahbomb

In top 8?

Combofiend vs ChrisG
Chris G vs Justin Wong (although most of that match wasn't played with Missiles)
FChamp vs Combofiend
FChamp vs Infrit (first set)
FChamp vs ChrisG (Hidden Missiles mirror)
FChamp vs Infrit (2nd and 3rd set)

7 sets of top 8 had Missiles on them, one of them had it on both teams.

Basically 2 players in top 8 had Missiles and 1 person had Drones. These 3 assists basically dictated the pace of top 8 for the most part.

You know what my favorite part about the top 8 was? The massive amount of counter picking going on. There were counter picks WITHIN counter picks.

*Justin counter picks ChrisG MorriDoom team, ChrisG picks OG team. Justin loses, picks OG team, ChrisG goes to MorriDoom against the Wolverine team.

*Combo picks Nova team against FChamp's Phoenix team, bodies him. FChamp picks Dorm team, beats Combo who switches to She Hulk team. Combo beats him, FChamp goes back to Phoenix team and beats him to force the switch.

If Infrit had a pocket Hawkeye then things would've been a lot different at EVO.

With EVO over, the question still left on my mind is -- how will the TAC infinite affect the metagame in the long run? As time goes on, more people will be able to execute the infinite with consistency. I hate to think that this might be the last UMvC3 EVO without infinite BS.

Solune

So remember when we all voted on characters we were going to see in GF? I had Spencer Doom in there, no Vergil surprisingly.

Good stuff to FChamp, watching FGTV I was sure he would take it, didn't think he'd get knocked into losers only to run it back.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
F. Champ and Chris G place deservingly high for the work they put into this game.
Infrit makes me look like an idiot for saying that WNF/TRB regulars are free.
Wong gets peaced out early for playing the game he wants instead of the game that exists.
Mexican Organism Designed Only for Killing makes some waves.
Guy who put me in losers gets top 8.
Flocker gets at least a couple of chances to demonstrate that Zero is a Totally Fair Character.

Pretty satisfied with the outcome for finals day, all in all.

smurfx

get some go again
F. Champ and Chris G place deservingly high for the work they put into this game.
Wong gets peaced out early for playing the game he wants instead of the game that exists.
Flocker gets at least a couple of chances to demonstrate that Zero is a Totally Fair Character.

hey you know how to do the kubo escape right? can you post how exactly to do it? i want to practice it. wonder how hawkeye/haggar would have done against champ. his magneto's pressure is just to damn much for many and they eventually get opened up. i always use lariat to stop magneto's from attacking me from above so i only have to worry about his low attacks. makes me sad that there wasn't any haggars in top 16. ;_; although there was plenty of task's in top 16 so there was something i liked. also taekua was the only cosmic lord on xbox that make it to top 16. viscant and dios x got bounced out before that. don't know if this evo is gonna change the way people play the game other than maybe use doom missiles. people were already jumping on the vergil bandwagon and other than that we didn't see anything else that will make people copy.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
hey you know how to do the kubo escape right? can you post how exactly to do it?
You can perform the trick when the following conditions are met:
- you have exactly 2 characters remaining
- you are currently capable of performing a hard tag (i.e. grounded, neutral position)
- the opponent initiates a hyper

How to:
- Once your opponent performs a hyper and the freeze-frame close-up shot of his character begins, hold down the assist button for your dead character.
- Once you've held that button long enough to trigger a hard tag (i.e. once you hear the announcer yell "Crossover attack!") but BEFORE the hyper freeze frame is over, input a snap back with the other assist button. The first assist button should continue to be held throughout this step.

Your current point character will jump offscreen and then jump back in from the side that the dead character was killed.

mr. puppy

Banned
Hidden Missiles isn't exactly some gamebreaking spell. The only thing Infrit was doing right in the finals was punishing the shit out of that assist call with Nova. You could see Champ not calling HM as much when Nova was there with either his beam hyper or rush punch hyper ready to blow up Doom. Thats where the metagame is probably going right now, and why Nova will be a good character on teams.

Infrit would then lose Nova and his piece of shit Spencer would come in, drop a combo or use the slowest normals Spencer has and just get blown up, and then Sentinel would come in and for some reason make a stupid comeback or drop a bunch of combos.

Bizazedo

Yeah, 645 demonstrated it to Chavelo and I. I didn't try it, but it seemed somewhat easy to do, if also somewhat limited in actual use.

Neat trick, though.

Evo was fun as hell. Next time, though, not going with a "mixed" group ("real life" friends so I was split between FGC stuff and going sightseeing. Cirque Du Soleil and Penn & Teller were badass, though).

And that means PS3 setup and going almost all the time so I don't have to tell 645 "Sorry man, I gotta jet and go get Penn & Teller tickets at two".

Got out of my pool in Marvel, got two byes, lost to Meep. Fuck me.

Got to losers finals in my pool in SF before falling to..Long..Cammy player. Forget the guys name. I was disappointed in that since I haven't played it in months and it feels like people's skills are dropping in it for me to make it even that far on only Bison fundamentals (like I only lost to Rico Suave and the Long guy and they were the ones to make it out, wrecked everyone else in the pool).

I had forgotten I signed up for SFxTK back when I thought it was going to be good, so with only one week of playtime under my belt (back when it was out), grabbed a buddy and we played Juri and Bison.

No one gave a shit. First team we played were these two people from Montreal, one of whom was a gorgeous blond woman who was amazingly kind and had that Montreal accent. Crushed them, but my heart still yearns.

Second match was Fuudo and Tokido. Highlight was hitting Fuudo with the 3 bar team hyper and running like bitches to win via timeout. That and hitting Fuudo later with a raw 2 bar hyper when he was trying to keep me in the corner with jabs / sweep. Despite those moral victories, got bodied, but it didn't feel that bad.

Third match was against another duo, guy and a girl, this time the girl was from Sweden. Blond. Mesh shirt with a strapless bathing suit top underneath. I was laughing as she and my teammate struck up a conversation and he was hitting on her the entire match. She was receptive and invited him back to a party later that night. Still smile at the memory.

Wrecked their shit.

Lost the loser semis, but again, like SF I was disappointed we even made it that far. But, SFxTK, who cares.

Frantic, teach me Dante.

God's Beard, sorry I didn't show for the buffet. My chair died :(. Stupid rental wheelchair.

It was weird that people weren't chickenblocking HM while Magneto or even Dorm were still alive. That's asking for trijump madness.

Great finals, and this game is still wide open. No one is untouchable yet. Great job to Champ. And I love the counterpicks across the board, awesome strategies abound.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
GF was dope. Shame that Infrit played himself out of victory. He should have 3-0'd champ after the reset. Those dropped combos are crucial in this game.

After this Evo, I really hope that top players STOP using unsafe raw tags. Holy shit, I saw it happen way to much after pools. Smh.

Fuck hidden missiles. Everyone should have had a pocket Storm / Nova. Shockwave -> DHC -> whatever, works as well. Silly ass assist system in this game...

DrewGrimey had a sad tale. Gets blown up on stream, comes all the way back to Top 16 (either that or 32) in LOSERS, gets on stream and gets blown up again. Them nerves. I hope he completely wrecks shop, next time.

Chou is a beast. He dropped way to many combos though. If he hadn't, he would have put whomever he played in in losers.

I need to catch up on the rest of top 8. Only saw the Loser's Finals and Grand.

Side note: I would never have guessed that SF top 8 would have been so damn one sided...

Dahbomb

Ifrit and Jan took out Mame Spider.

Agreed on this except for Infrit I knew he was a solid player and he has been getting better and better at the game with each WNF attendance. He might not get the screen time that some of these other players get on stream and he isn't as animated as the rest but he is definitely a solid player who knows the game well.

I also liked that Hidden Missiles was used and abused to the point that even the commentators started to get fed up with it ruining everything. At least the awareness is there on that assist now.

I also liked the amount of counter picking going on from most of the players there.

Also EVO was won by a zoning team for the most part.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That one counter-pick match between Chris G and FChamp was more specifically one of the highlights. A lot of raw tags though, they were both so freaking afraid of each other. Everyone expected FChamp to win, but I think it was a harder road for him than anyone expected. There were some games where Infrit and Chris G instilled fear in FChamp and broke dudes nerves and had him doing uncharacteristic shit everywhere. SF4 levels of mind games.

I'll post a bunch of random thoughts later today.

Dahbomb

Mind games were definitely in full effect at EVO and it was definitely not an easy win for FChamp (it was harder than Viscant's IMO). He faced elimination against both ChrisG and Infrit as well as a loss against Combofiend.

Overall I am just really glad that the top 8 was competitive and filled with various different playstyles and characters all controlled by players who were hungry for the title. Even Combofiend was very hungry for it, you could just read it off his impression when FChamp was celebrating in his face but Combo was stone cold silent just looking at him.

The nerves, the skill, the ability, the technique, the clutch, the salt, the hype, the counters, the counter counters, the reads, the mix ups, the zoning, the mind games.... all were in full effect in the top 8.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, I watched most of the games during EVO this weekend and I decided that I would like to start getting into some fighting games. However, I watched the UMvC3 matches and it seems like it has an extremely high skill barrier.

As a casual player and someone who doesn't really have the time nor patience to spend hours every day practicing, do you think UMvC3 would be a good game to get into? I don't really care about being really good but I also don't want a game where I am going to get constantly massacred online.

DR2K

Banned
I wouldn't mind hidden missiles, but like AA assists in MVC2 it is a game changer. Unlike AA assists though Doom in easily one of the best solo characters in the game.

I never really understood why Magneto could have linkable cr jabs, but Shehulk had to have them removed. It's not like she could cancel them into fly and get intant over heads or anything. . .

Game is so fucked balance wise, but X-factor generally allows for more character diversity thankfully.

I never really understood why Magneto could have linkable cr jabs, but Shehulk had to have them removed. It's not like she could cancel them into fly and get intant over heads or anything. . .

I don't get this either. To be a fly on the wall during Capcom balance meetings...

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
In top 8?

Combofiend vs ChrisG
Chris G vs Justin Wong (although most of that match wasn't played with Missiles)
FChamp vs Combofiend
FChamp vs Infrit (first set)
FChamp vs ChrisG (Hidden Missiles mirror)
FChamp vs Infrit (2nd and 3rd set)

7 sets of top 8 had Missiles on them, one of them had it on both teams.

Basically 2 players in top 8 had Missiles and 1 person had Drones. These 3 assists basically dictated the pace of top 8 for the most part.

You know what my favorite part about the top 8 was? The massive amount of counter picking going on. There were counter picks WITHIN counter picks.

*Justin counter picks ChrisG MorriDoom team, ChrisG picks OG team. Justin loses, picks OG team, ChrisG goes to MorriDoom against the Wolverine team.

*Combo picks Nova team against FChamp's Phoenix team, bodies him. FChamp picks Dorm team, beats Combo who switches to She Hulk team. Combo beats him, FChamp goes back to Phoenix team and beats him to force the switch.

If Infrit had a pocket Hawkeye then things would've been a lot different at EVO.

It's super impressive Infrit made winner's finals without a counter team.

DR2K

Banned
How many characters can capitalize off of Hidden Missiles, the way Magneto does?

Doom, Morrigan, Dorm, and I'm waiting on a Trish player to blow it up with her, missles is just as potent.

Magneto's combos basically auto correct themselves though, he taps you with a jab and it's death addin missles making it easier to land said jab and you have an Evo champ.

Hey guys, I watched most of the games during EVO this weekend and I decided that I would like to start getting into some fighting games. However, I watched the UMvC3 matches and it seems like it has an extremely high skill barrier.

As a casual player and someone who doesn't really have the time nor patience to spend hours every day practicing, do you think UMvC3 would be a good game to get into? I don't really care about being really good but I also don't want a game where I am going to get constantly massacred online.
MvC3 was my first "real" fighting game that I took seriously, and I am decent now. In terms of execution requirements, it's the easiest fighting game out there unless you want to do fancy stuff. You can get by without doing those things. It definitely takes time and dedication, though.

Edit: The game is $30 on Amazon right now.

How many characters can capitalize off of Hidden Missiles, the way Magneto does?
If "the way Magneto does" means full combos, definitely not Dormammu. Characters that can stairmaster to the ground like Magneto and characters that can cause hard knockdown/ground bounce from the air.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
MvC3 was my first "real" fighting game that I took seriously, and I am decent now. In terms of execution requirements, it's the easiest fighting game out there unless you want to do fancy stuff. You can get by without doing those things. It definitely takes time and dedication, though.

Edit: The game is $30 on Amazon right now.

Yeah I saw that price, great deal. It also looked really fun on the EVO stream and I'm a fan of Marvel characters, so this game has a lot going on, thematically, that interests me. I just don't want to walk into a community that will hand me my ass over and over again simply because everyone is significantly more dedicated than I am.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you until you got decent with it?

Yeah I saw that price, great deal. It also looked really fun on the EVO stream and I'm a fan of Marvel characters, so this game has a lot going on, thematically, that interests me. I just don't want to walk into a community that will hand me my ass over and over again simply because everyone is significantly more dedicated than I am.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you until you got decent with it?
I started out stomping everyone else because my team was cheap as hell pre-Vanilla patch (Sentinel/Dormammu/Doom (Hidden Missiles). You're coming to the game late, so you're going to get stomped a lot. That's just how it is when you enter any competitive game after it has been released. You can find people to play with on here, though, and that makes the stomps less painful. Some folks, like me (PS3), will be glad to use an alternate team that he/she is not experienced with to even the playing field.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Unbiased answer:

You will always get the idea that something has a very high skill barrier from watching the highest level of play though.

Here's the thing about fighting games, you get as much out of the games as you put in, and this stays especially true for online play. There's no way to sugarcoat it, if you play online in pretty much every game in the genre, your going to get steamrolled online unless you put some time into learning the game and how it operates. At least at the start.

It doesn't have to be hours each day to play and practice though, but as long as you put a bit of time into learning how everything works (much of which goes unexplained by the game itself), you can do decent online. So in this sense fighting games are like every other online game, just the learning curve might be a wee bit steeper for the average player. Surprisingly, there are still a ton of low-level players online last time I checked, I know this because I'm a low level player. I still think the hardest bit is understanding stuff like DHCs which the game doesn't explain, but there are plenty of resources in OP of this thread for newcomers like you to get up to speed and help you understand Marvel if you wish to dig deeper.

Biased answer:

But it's all SO worth it. The good part about Marvel for newcomers is that it takes relatively low execution to make cool shit happen and give you instant gratification. Low enough that early on pro players complained about how easy it was for new players to get into it and do so well. The control scheme was even changed from previous iterations to be more newcomer friendly, in addition to there being an even simpler control scheme available for you to choose. On top of that, if you have solid fundamentals (learn how to block, how to approach your opponent) which can transfer from other games and game genres, you can do fairly well. Screw doing things analytically, slap together a random team and see what happens; it's likely it will be some cool shit.

I think Marvel is a solid pick for someone's first fighter, especially if it's what caught your eye at EVO. I think you should pull the trigger. Do it. Now.

EDIT: if your a fan of Marvel characters, you'll absolutely love it. UMvC3 is pretty much Fanservice: The Game. There are so many tiny touches from all the quips to how character talk to each other to references galore throughout stages, alternate colors, etc.

Unbiased answer:

You will always get the idea that something has a very high skill barrier from watching the highest level of play though.

Here's the thing about fighting games, you get as much out of the games as you put in, and this stays especially true for online play. There's no way to sugarcoat it, if you play online in pretty much every game in the genre, your going to get steamrolled online unless you put some time into learning the game and how it operates. At least at the start.

It doesn't have to be hours each day to play and practice though, but as long as you put a bit of time into learning how everything works (much of which goes unexplained by the game itself), you can do decent online. So in this sense fighting games are like every other online game, just the learning curve might be a wee bit steeper for the average player. Surprisingly, there are still a ton of low-level players online last time I checked, I know this because I'm a low level player. I still think the hardest bit is understanding stuff like DHCs which the game doesn't explain, but there are plenty of resources in OP of this thread for newcomers like you to get up to speed and help you understand Marvel if you wish to dig deeper.

Biased answer:

But it's all SO worth it. The good part about Marvel for newcomers is that it takes relatively low execution to make cool shit happen and give you instant gratification. Low enough that early on pro players complained about how easy it was for new players to get into it and so well. The control scheme was even changed from previous iterations to be more newcomer friendly, in addition to there being an even simpler control scheme availabloffice you do choose. On top of that, if you have solid fundamentals (learn how to block, how to approach your opponent) which can transfer from other games and game genres, you can do fairly well. Screw doing things analytically, slap together a random team and see what happens; it's likely it will be some cool shit.

I think Marvel is a solid pick for someone's first fighter, especially if it's what caught your eye at EVO. I think you should pull the trigger. Do it. Now.

EDIT: if your a fan of Marvel characters, you'll absolutely love it. UMvC3 is pretty much Fanservice: The Game. There are so many tiny touches from all the quips to how character talk to each other to references galore throughout stages, alternate colors, etc.
I back this answer entirely, except that I think you should never, ever use the Simple Mode control scheme. Learn to play the game for real. I'll also reiterate that there are a ton of people that suck online. It's mind-boggling how bad some people are when the game is over a year old now.

vg260

I back this answer entirely, except that I think you should never, ever use the Simple Mode control scheme. Learn to play the game for real. I'll also reiterate that there are a ton of people that suck online. It's mind-boggling how bad some people are when the game is over a year old now.

Yeah, but the matchmaking is so bad, you'll likely get a matchup with someone way out of your skill bracket :(

Don't let it discourage you, but it can be really frustrating considering how quickly you can get blown up in this game. SFIV's online system seems to provide much better matchups.

smurfx

get some go again
Yeah, but the matchmaking is so bad, you'll likely get a matchup with someone way out of your skill bracket :(
as long as you don't put ANY under rank you won't really get matched up with somebody higher than you. of course there could be people like me who reset their record to do it over again but overall i'll say that the people with beginning ranks are kinda crappy. hell at one point i had a 50 win streak and only lost because i goofed around with a phoenix user and got bit in the ass. -_- oh and one of my fav moments this evo.

iOPvwVcW9Tunm.gif

Beautifully put. Wong knows this game way better than I ever will but I was not happy with his choice of teams at all. I really wish he would've stuck with the spencer team instead of flip flopping, even if it was meant to use as a counter pick. Despite picking up that team late I really believe he could have done better with it, although his use of the Frank assist became telegraphic as hell

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit, you guys are making this game seem very appealing haha. I do love my Marvel characters enzo, which is a big reason I'm so interested in this game. Watching Magneto beating the shit out of Dr. Doom, and Phoenix flying around beasting on Nova is just plain cool. I've basically narrowed it down to either this game or Soul Calibur V, so I have some thinking to do.
Or maybe I'll just get both. o_O

If I do get it, which console would you guys suggest? I have no interest in getting an arcade stick and supposedly the PS3 controller is better for fighters, but I hear the PS3 version also has slowdown so I'm leaning towards 360.

Dartastic

So, after watching Evo and having picked up Doom like, a week ago I've come to the conclusion that he is indeed, the best character in the game. Good mobility, can DHC from anything, can effectively rush down or range people out, and... you know. That assist. I really think that as this game evolves, HM is going to have to be used by everyone. It's just too good.

Come at me broz. ;)

Dammit, you guys are making this game seem very appealing haha. I do love my Marvel characters enzo, which is a big reason I'm so interested in this game. Watching Magneto beating the shit out of Dr. Doom, and Phoenix flying around beasting on Nova is just plain cool. I've basically narrowed it down to either this game or Soul Calibur V, so I have some thinking to do.

If I do get it, which console would you guys suggest? I have no interest in getting an arcade stick and supposedly the PS3 controller is better for fighters, but I hear the PS3 version also has slowdown so I'm leaning towards 360.
Do you like a game where you push a lot of buttons or do you want a more strategically paced game? If you want the former, you want Marvel.
...if you want the latter, I'd still pick Marvel because I think it's just more fun to play.

Slowdown won't really do much if you're just picking it up and having fun. I'd say pick it up on whatever console you want.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah, 645 demonstrated it to Chavelo and I. I didn't try it, but it seemed somewhat easy to do, if also somewhat limited in actual use.

Neat trick, though.

Would have been amazing if Chris G used it to avoid the Doom super chip in the last match against FChamp.

Anth0ny

So, after watching Evo and having picked up Doom like, a week ago I've come to the conclusion that he is indeed, the best character in the game. Good mobility, can DHC from anything, can effectively rush down or range people out, and... you know. That assist. I really think that as this game evolves, HM is going to have to be used by everyone. It's just too good.

Come at me broz. ;)

I always thought Doom was one of the, if not THE best character in the game. I think it's safe to say he's top 5 after this Evo. That assist is way too fucking good.

vg260

as long as you don't put ANY under rank you won't really get matched up with somebody higher than you. of course there could be people like me who reset their record to do it over again but overall i'll say that the people with beginning ranks are kinda crappy. hell at one point i had a 50 win streak and only lost because i goofed around with a phoenix user and got bit in the ass. -_- oh and one of my fav moments this evo.

iOPvwVcW9Tunm.gif

I feel like I see a lot of people sandbagging. I'm pretty bad and get people with low #s of games played who obviously know what they're doing.

I still don't believe in Doom's point capabilities without Scooby :3 probably just comes from playing Hawkeye.

His support abilities however are pretty ace even with somewhat situational DHCs. Probably the best or tied with Dante, his Capcom other half.

Team bad guys is so legit, hahaha. Need some heroes to rise.

You'll get biased answers here about SCV, haha. I have over 500 hours in the game and have never experienced slowdown on the PS3 version. If you pay for Xbox online, you'll probably get a better experience there just because so many PS3s are wireless, but the PS3 controller is generally superior for fighting games. The OT also has a list of most of the people that play here, so you can get a good idea of who is around to fight.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Don't let it discourage you, but it can be really frustrating considering how quickly you can get blown up in this game. SFIV's online system seems to provide much better matchups.
At a low level, I have never occurred too great of a skill gap. I think this is primarily an issue at higher skill levels. At a low level, you get paired with people who are just like you, worse, or slightly better, which is exactly how I think it should be IMO.

PS3 if you have no interest in getting an arcade stick, because of better D-pad. The slowdown is of no issue to you unless your going to play super seriously, I think. Though I think I'm not the most qualified to comment on such because I only play on 360.

SCV has undoubtably better online netcode, but definitely not as cool as having Marvel characters IMO. Small things bring a huge smile to my face in Marvel. Like when MODOK beats Rocket Raccoon, he says "I just beat a Raccoon... SCIENCE!" MvC2 is actually the game that started my love affair with Marvel characters, and MvC3 continues the tradition by introducing me to a whole new array of favorites.

Don't get ahead of yourself, only buy one console version first :p

Azure J

You know what the strangest feeling in the world is right now after EVO? It's like I have so many different things I'd love to say but I can't collect myself/calm down from the hype to think it out and say it.

Re: Hidden Missiles

That assist has really grown into the one to be most weary of in this game. It's not going to be long from now when people will entirely start playing teams with one element that is dedicated solely to punishing that assist before it even gets started. Horizontal assists are going to see a huge resurgence.

Re: EVO Outcome versus desired outcome

F. Champ taking the whole thing was honestly expected. The amount of effort and the mind he had going into things alone said that he was going far and with many of the real threats getting peaced out before even running into him, it was looking to be in his favor for a long ass time. At the same time though, Chris-fucking-G. I don't know what's more insane, the idea that he made it to 3rd place or the fact that every match from top 16 to now had him facing all of his personal demons, be they characters or players. (Wong, Combofiend & Flocker? MODOKs galore? You can't tell me that didn't look fucking stacked in terms of people who have consistently given his MorriDoom problems.) I honestly thought that after that one Sudoku Watch he had against the MODOK on Saturday right before qualifying for top 8 was going to be the end of his season, but it's like at that point he really developed the first semblance of a "Wong Factor" equivalent for himself and really made one hell of a run this EVO. Good shit to him.

Addendum: I wanted Chris G to take Marvel myself just because I wanted people who continuously whined about MorriDoom zoning being OP to choke on salt while realizing that dominant strategies aren't always 50/50 teleport-beam, RTSD or tridash low like we playing Super Smash Bros. Melee as Luigi all day. That and #FuckyeahDarkstalkers of course. :p

Re: Random Salt regarding this game's management

How anyone could see the amount of hype and genuine love for this game, it's potential for international stardom with the right push here and there (seriously, all the JPN talent on top of Mexico and the like?), and an audience that will gladly take more and then decide that "it's not in the cards" without even telling us what the deck is for sounds like a complete and utter mishandling imo. I can't say I know more than the people who come up with and regulate the IP, but fuck me if Niitsuma's comments in retrospect don't seem like the total wrong/opposite to what should be done for a competitive game with this kind of support.

Edit: I still really fucking love that one off suggestion from the EVO thread about Poongko playing Marvel. I believe he would come up with the most absurdly stupid (good) shit in a game like this where all of the tools he loves based on his SF4 play with Seth are represented with abundance.

Re: Phoenix

People who haven't payed attention to the game since Vanilla really need to shut up about this character. I mean, I guess one part of it is psychological (people still mad about how dominant she was in Vanilla think it's the same when they see her on screen cleaning up in Ultimate), but at the same time that's not enough of an excuse. If you follow this game like you should be, you know how much more work it is to secure that aspect of her game and know how much more terrifying it is to play her even in Dark Phoenix mode. When absurdly buffed Zero, moderately buffed Morrigan, Vergil, Strider, Side TAC meter theft and of course X Factor all exist on top of a moderately crippled Phoenix game in this version, it really falls on the player to make her into that dominant force (as it should).

People jumping to conclusions because the once-HBIC is "winning for them" when in reality she's being played by a first percentile player and being successful as such just says they aren't facing the facts.

Also on the player end of things, I'm really very surprised to see so many props getting shook (I feel like there's no other word for this) because of "Phoenix factor" even now. This segment is primarily about Yipes and his performance against PZ Poy, but I feel like if I rewatch some matches I could see the same kinda logic apply to them. Like, I get it, Yipes feels like that his demon and it's understandable. When you fight a particularly dominant character your way enough times, you train yourself into doing things or not doing things against said character no matter who is playing them and depending on the cases, it can either be a help or a handicap. At the same time though, why wasn't he snapping in? Why wasn't he saving Vergil and getting him meter? These are the simplest counters to JEEEEEEAN and IIRC, none of this was being used.

It's like everyone forgot that the second most dominant thing after Phoenix at last year's EVO was anti-Phoenix tech.

OK, I'll preorder one last placeholder ticket on the Marvel 3 hype train. It's all broken down and in repair now, but I'll be sure to be right there with the rest of the guys if anything goes down.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Do you like a game where you push a lot of buttons or do you want a more strategically paced game? If you want the former, you want Marvel.
...if you want the latter, I'd still pick Marvel because I think it's just more fun to play.

Haha I shouldn't be surprised at that response, considering this is the UMvC3 OT...

Karsticles said:
You'll get biased answers here about SCV, haha. I have over 500 hours in the game and have never experienced slowdown on the PS3 version. If you pay for Xbox online, you'll probably get a better experience there just because so many PS3s are wireless, but the PS3 controller is generally superior for fighting games. The OT also has a list of most of the people that play here, so you can get a good idea of who is around to fight.

Holy shit 500 hours... Yeah I'm not gonna spend nearly that amount of time with it lol.

Seems like there's a pretty even GAF split between PS3 and 360. I do pay for Xbox Live and play most of my online games on that system, which is why I'm leaning towards it. Also I don't use the D-pad when playing fighting games and prefer the analog stick, if that makes any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom