• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Enzo you up for some games anytime soon? Trying to get back into the game a bit. Even after that entirely demoralizing first to 10 against smurf like an hour ago.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Enzo you up for some games anytime soon? Trying to get back into the game a bit. Even after that entirely demoralizing first to 10 against smurf like an hour ago.
If you can play in about half an hour or so I'd gladly get on :)

JeTmAn81

Did you win a game? If so, you did better than I did the last time I played Smurfx.

Dahbomb

I was at the panel yesterday and Nitsuma did indeed say no more patches or updates. But while discussing this with some Norcal playera near a Marvel freeplay station, they all said its bullshit and Capcom is going to patch the game after EVO. Apparently it was well know there that Capcom was going to denounce the patch at their panel and the do it well after EVO. I guess their PR restrictions are huge, even the images of Cyclops and the clash system shown at the panel were pushing it.

I don't know what to believe anymore. I mean Capcom has lied to its playerbase in the past. For now at least its worth getting down Iron Man's TAC infinite because it is one of the better ones.
i-want-to-believe.jpg

Ultimate is a great game but it needs a patch. Just a change on Hidden Missiles will open up the game much more. Of course buffs on lower tier characters should always be a priority. I think even without a patch Ultimate can survive one more year at EVO but next year EVOs a lot of players are going to be better at abusing the cheap stuff (I mean the Vergils and Zeros) and with the infinites shit is going to get very oppressive. A trim off the top and buffs all from Mid to Bottom tier would do wonders for this game.

More than anything I want a change on TACs, the biggest stinker of top 8 Marvel was the amount of TACs going around and leading into bad situations or just simply characters dead. It needs to be addressed more than anything IMO.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Did you win a game? If so, you did better than I did the last time I played Smurfx.

Nearly had a win the final game. Dorm vs Haggar. Messed up by mistiming a Stalking Flare while trying to get some space. Dorm should have the upper hand in that match up on paper, but smurf's Haggar is just in your face the whole time and I don't know how to react.

Dammit, you guys are making this game seem very appealing haha. I do love my Marvel characters enzo, which is a big reason I'm so interested in this game. Watching Magneto beating the shit out of Dr. Doom, and Phoenix flying around beasting on Nova is just plain cool. I've basically narrowed it down to either this game or Soul Calibur V, so I have some thinking to do.
Or maybe I'll just get both. o_O

If I do get it, which console would you guys suggest? I have no interest in getting an arcade stick and supposedly the PS3 controller is better for fighters, but I hear the PS3 version also has slowdown so I'm leaning towards 360.
Get both of them. SC games have traditionally been played on pads AFAIK. They are both pretty cheap now too. You could probably get the both of them for the same price as a single new game nowadays.

Frantic

Frantic, teach me Dante.
Play patient, learn some effective but easy on the execution combos, some corner pressure and incoming mixups, and I think you're set.[/worstteacherever]

Honestly, I think you could probably pick Dante up fairly easily. The most important thing about Dante is knowing when and when not to push buttons, which tends to come from experience. Also when and when not to style on someone.

vg260

This idea has probably been discussed, and way too late if so, but what about the idea of being able to use x-factor as a combo breaker, after which you can't follow up and just lose it. Like burst in BB (iirc?) What was the feeling on that? If I recall people kinda hated the idea of combo breakers. Just curious about a what if scenario.

Azure J

Play patient, learn some effective but easy on the execution combos, some corner pressure and incoming mixups, and I think you're set.[/worstteacherever]

Honestly, I think you could probably pick Dante up fairly easily. The most important thing about Dante is knowing when and when not to push buttons, which tends to come from experience. Also when and when not to style on someone.

All of this is correct. I feel like Dante is the easiest of the "hard work" characters to get accustomed to. Either that or my love of the character superceeded the actual difficulty of his stuff and made me understand him best in terms of execution.

Random little things to say:

- Acid Rain is your best friend for incoming mixups as a newbie.

- Learn how to empty cancel any of his QCB moves into Fireworks, this can save your ass a hundred times over

- Even though you always see players put on insane pressure with the character on streams, learn to not press buttons. Seriously.

- Treat Dante like Batman, he needs his space (lair) and a good bit of prep time before he can dominate.

- Learn the BC Grapple reset setup. Even if you don't have a high-low assist for unblockable setups, if you have a forward moving Tatsu like assist, beam, or a lockdown assist like Cold Star/Dark Hole, you can still force a solid guessing game for them to play as they block standing initially.

- When in XF, always try to go Devil Trigger more often than Million Dollars. The latter drains the precious X time too quickly as the super has a long animation. The former depending on what level of XF can evaporate teams a la Vanilla Logan thanks to a higher minimum scaling cap on Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt's inability to be pushblocked.

- Bold Cancel Teleport is another must for him. I personally do 2 shots Cold Shower - Stinger - Plink H + S as a pad player and it works pretty phenomenally, especially after altering my button presses lately.

This idea has probably been discussed, and way too late if so, but what about the idea of being able to use x-factor as a combo breaker, after which you can't follow up and just lose it. Like burst in BB (iirc?) What was the feeling on that? If I recall people kinda hated the idea of combo breakers. Just curious about a what if scenario.

I think it would be an overall waste at the moment. X-Factor at level one can easily kill a full health character and X-Factor 2 and 3 can devastate an entire team if used right. I would rather kill 1 or 2 characters than to survive a single combo even if I really need that character. Everyone on the cast is good in X-Factor and has ample time to do some setups. Now if X-Factor was nerfed in favor of combo breakers then things could be different.

I think adding maybe one combo breaker mechanic per match would be a great idea. Marvel is so chaotic that it's easy to be overwhelmed multiple times per match so a nice one time get out of jail free card wouldn't hurt the game at all.

Edit: Anyone up for a game? PSN: SlasherMcGirk

TWILT

Banned
Hey MarvelGAF, I've been a long time lurker until 2 days ago when my account was finally activated. I just want to say I love the discussions that go on here, and would love to be part of the community as well.

I play this game quite often and it's probably my favourite fighter this gen. I'm often online on PSN, so feel free to add me: TWILTHERO. I consider myself "good" at this game, but not great. So yeah. [/lameintroduction]

Hey MarvelGAF, I've been a long time lurker until 2 days ago when my account was finally activated. I just want to say I love the discussions that go on here, and would love to be part of the community as well.

I play this game quite often and it's probably my favourite fighter this gen. I'm often online on PSN, so feel free to add me: TWILTHERO. I consider myself "good" at this game, but not great. So yeah. [/lameintroduction]

I'll add you this sec. I'm always looking for more people to play. Wanna go now?

shaowebb

Welcome! So who do you main?

Tirael

Hey, are the Evo streams archived anywhere yet? I can't seem to find them. (I just want to see UMvC3 anyway, and MAYBE SCV.)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Dammit, you guys are making this game seem very appealing haha. I do love my Marvel characters enzo, which is a big reason I'm so interested in this game. Watching Magneto beating the shit out of Dr. Doom, and Phoenix flying around beasting on Nova is just plain cool. I've basically narrowed it down to either this game or Soul Calibur V, so I have some thinking to do.
Or maybe I'll just get both. o_O

If I do get it, which console would you guys suggest? I have no interest in getting an arcade stick and supposedly the PS3 controller is better for fighters, but I hear the PS3 version also has slowdown so I'm leaning towards 360.
The slowdown on PS3 is only significant if you play at a competitive, tournament level. Otherwise it's not that big of a deal. There isn't a huge difference between versions, so I'd weigh your decision on controller preference and what your local scene uses (if you have a scene).

Executionally, this game is relatively easy, but you need to know a little more about strategy up-front before you can succeed in this game imo. Basically what makes a good team and how to identify your opponent's likely gameplan just from looking at the team he's using. That comes with experience though.

I still don't believe in Doom's point capabilities without Scooby :3 probably just comes from playing Hawkeye.
Hawkeye vs Doom is pretty funny.

I've always liked the idea. Being able to sacrifice your XF to escape a happy birthday for example would be a cool thing to have.

I think it would be an overall waste at the moment. X-Factor at level one can easily kill a full health character and X-Factor 2 and 3 can devastate an entire team if used right. I would rather kill 1 or 2 characters than to survive a single combo even if I really need that character. Everyone on the cast is good in X-Factor and has ample time to do some setups. Now if X-Factor was nerfed in favor of combo breakers then things could be different.

RE: X-factor guard cancels, it wouldn't be a waste if it was your last character and they were caught in a game-winning combo. Happy birthdays would be another good place to blow it.

was any of the "hidden" tech shown at EVO? I didn't catch anything.

No Kubo escape, no secret wolverine tech nothing.

I haven't heard anyone say that they saw anything. I was really hoping that Justin was going to blow us all away with his "new Wolverine tech" in top 8, but nope!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
We saw what the Kubo escape does in a video and it looks very situational. I guess it's worth doing if the situation does come up though.

Justin Wong did 2 interesting things with Wolverine but I don't know if it was the "hidden tech" he was talking about. If it was one of the 2 things I think UltraDavid would have called it out on commentary.

With Wolverine he tech a grab, did swiss cheese into full combo. And he DHC'd from Hailstorm into Beserker charge forcing a very hard to read mixup.

Actually I kinda want to make a gif of that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kubota escape is too situational to be practical in it's current form. You need to expect the right hyper at the right time, and even need to test the escape on the hypers, then you have to worry about further DHC capability, X-Factor, etc. on top of that. Too much to consider in a split second for what can just be blocked.

GG Nils. A lot of close games
and drops :p
. It seems I'm cursed into doing Iron Avengers against your X-23 and getting blown up every. single. time.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Good games enzo. I think that was pretty much dead even. Much better assist placement than last times and your Nova was very good at opening me up. Nova tip: just mash H when you're doing the overhead in a combo. You'll get it almost always then. Noticed it dropping a lot in the beginning but not much towards the end. Also practice the aerial Supernova a bit. Feels like I don't get any mileage out of Task anymore now that my autopilot for him is messed up by trying more fancier combos instead of guaranteed damage. Really want to get a more legit X-23 but I feel I do way too many random assist calls and not covering her well enough.

Long session. My wrists hurt a bit. Might have heard me cursing every once in a while.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Good games enzo. I think that was pretty much dead even. Much better assist placement than last times and your Nova was very good at opening me up. Nova tip: just mash H when you're doing the overhead in a combo. You'll get it almost always then. Noticed it dropping a lot in the beginning but not much towards the end. Also practice the aerial Supernova a bit. Feels like I don't get any mileage out of Task anymore now that my autopilot for him is messed up by trying more fancier combos instead of guaranteed damage. Really want to get a more legit X-23 but I feel I do way too many random assist calls and not covering her well enough.
Yeah doing the H in the air into Supernova drops every single time, and most of the time the overhead is dropping because the opponent hits the ground far too fast, usually the basic flight combo with Nova puts them high enough for the OTG to be able to hit once you come down, but I stopped doing that since I wasn't hitting it consistently enough, and still tried to go for the OTG every single time. :/ I also was dropping a lot of cancels with Iron Man. You'd see me at times just standing there doing nothing while I try to cr.H xx Unibeam or Repulsar through the lag and then nothing happens. =[

Your Task still gives me problems though at full screen. Perhaps predictable for you but I still have trouble weaving my way through :lol

X-23 is like an Enzo-counterpick character for all the unsafe stuff I do I feel.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah doing the H in the air into Supernova drops every single time, and most of the time the overhead is dropping because the opponent hits the ground far too fast

Try inputting the SRK H+whatever directly after you aerial H. Mashing a bit or double tapping might give it more consistency. The second thing shouldn't be an issue. If you mash forward H as soon as you hit the ground you should get it almost every single time. It's a bit ironic giving you these tips as my Nova was less than stellar today. Think I rely way too much on aerial approaches.

Might try to learn a bit of Spencer. Right now that character is just a swinging Bionic Arm in my hands.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
ibheYHKcoAjZF.gif

Who's gonna block this shit, I mean really?

It probably could have been easier on Yipes if he didn't get caught with the Hailstorm in the air.

Sigmaah

If we ever do get a "patch" I'd like Doctor Dooms foot dives to get nerfed and I also want broken ass spencer to get nerfed too, they can nerf Zero too, I won't be mad about that, as long as DD and spencer get nerfed, I'm happy :)

TWILT

Banned
Good games Slasher! You were owning for the first set of matches, then I had to switch out to Wesker to stand a chance haha. Your Wright is pretty good, and I kept falling for Hulk's shenanigans lol.

Welcome! So who do you main?

Thanks man. I normally run Dante/Vergil/Strider, though I like switching it up sometimes. I even use Iron Fist sometimes =P.

If we ever do get a "patch" I'd like Doctor Dooms foot dives to get nerfed and I also want broken ass spencer to get nerfed too, they can nerf Zero too, I won't be mad about that, as long as DD and spencer get nerfed, I'm happy :)

I think Spencer is pretty much fine except for they need to add damage scaling to his H grapple. It feels like that's the key to his humongo damage. Maybe lower the knockdown time after bionic maneuvers too so he doesn't get a second pick-up. I'm not too knowledgeable on the inner workings of Spencer though so maybe that second part can stay.

I think people give Dr. Doom a little too much credit. People seem to get caught by footdive way more often than they should because they don't respect it. You have to expect the footdive and don't try to beat it, then usually they will end up missing the dash cancel at some point and then you get a good punish.

I would be game for a hidden missile assist nerf though, especially after seeing it so much during top 8.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Alright Marvel-GAF, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth (and no shortage of enablers in this thread) I just called ahead to my local GameStop and told them to hold me a copy of the game to pick up later today, since they have it for $30 and I pay tax on Amazon anyway (stupid NY). I wanted a new 360 version but the only copy they had was opened, so I told them to hold me a new, sealed PS3 copy instead. If there is any reason I should reconsider to the 360 version (connection speed, framerate, whatever), speak now or forever hold your peace.

I look forward to getting steamrolled online while I jump around like an idiot looking at the shiny lasers.

Good games man. Your Dante was so hectic with non-stop attacks. Thats the way Dante should be. You were really good. I felt like I could keep up with you but as soon as you picked Wesker on point I was getting destroyed.

So many times I would complete so many block strings and defend with Maya shield and Hulk assist trying not to get hit by Vajra and twenty game seconds would go by only to be touched once by Wesker into certain death. Ahhh so Mahvel.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Alright Marvel-GAF, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth (and no shortage of enablers in this thread) I just called ahead to my local GameStop and told them to hold me a copy of the game to pick up later today, since they have it for $30 and I pay tax on Amazon anyway (stupid NY). I wanted a new 360 version but the only copy they had was opened, so I told them to hold me a new, sealed PS3 copy instead. If there is any reason I should reconsider to the 360 version (connection speed, framerate, whatever), speak now or forever hold your peace.

I look forward to getting steamrolled online while I jump around like an idiot looking at the shiny lasers.

The PS3 version has some slowdown at random times but it's highly unlikely you'll really notice. As for the online, I think both console versions still have a healthy community.

I wouldn't worry which version you pick both play fine and are populated. Don't worry about getting bodied online. Even good players get bodied. My advice to you is first try all the characters and get a feel for them. Then pick your favorite character. Next pick a character you like that has good team synergy for the first character. Lastly your third character should have an assist that greatly benefits your first two characters and can do well on their own with or without X-Factor level 3. Follow this and you will have fun, even if you get bodied. Trust me I know.

Doom's footdive only needs 1 real fix and that is its hitbox/hurtbox. Having a hitbox that literally his whole body is stupid. It basically means you can't hit him out of footdive unless its a trade. And trades against footdive is in doom's favor

30_drdoomhitboxt.jpg

smurfx

get some go again
Doom's footdive only needs 1 real fix and that is its hitbox/hurtbox. Having a hitbox that literally his whole body is stupid. It basically means you can't hit him out of footdive unless its a trade. And trades against footdive is in doom's favor

30_drdoomhitboxt.jpg
that picture is a lie! his hit box extends all the way to the back of his head. i know this since i've been smack by foot dive when i'm behind him by his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom