• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solune

All of this is correct. I feel like Dante is the easiest of the "hard work" characters to get accustomed to. Either that or my love of the character superceeded the actual difficulty of his stuff and made me understand him best in terms of execution.

Random little things to say:

- Acid Rain is your best friend for incoming mixups as a newbie.

- Learn how to empty cancel any of his QCB moves into Fireworks, this can save your ass a hundred times over

- Even though you always see players put on insane pressure with the character on streams, learn to not press buttons. Seriously.

- Treat Dante like Batman, he needs his space (lair) and a good bit of prep time before he can dominate.

- Learn the BC Grapple reset setup. Even if you don't have a high-low assist for unblockable setups, if you have a forward moving Tatsu like assist, beam, or a lockdown assist like Cold Star/Dark Hole, you can still force a solid guessing game for them to play as they block standing initially.

- When in XF, always try to go Devil Trigger more often than Million Dollars. The latter drains the precious X time too quickly as the super has a long animation. The former depending on what level of XF can evaporate teams a la Vanilla Logan thanks to a higher minimum scaling cap on Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt's inability to be pushblocked.

- Bold Cancel Teleport is another must for him. I personally do 2 shots Cold Shower - Stinger - Plink H + S as a pad player and it works pretty phenomenally, especially after altering my button presses lately.

Just want to tack on some things
- When teleporting with Dante, test your opponent to see if they can react to it/punish it.
- For the most part, Dante can NOT LMHS hitconfirm his opponent like in Vanilla, you should learn the Volcano Bold Cancel bread and butter.
- XF3 Dante is a complete different beast and CANNOT do normal bread and butters, you have to be creative and utilize his infinites

Also Azure, been working some new combos with my Dante team... I can't do the "high impact" damage but I cap out at like 850k with million dollars. Any new swag you got? ;)

JeTmAn81

I don't know about anyone else, but it's taken me a long time to learn Dante. I would characterize him as the kind of character that really needs some work to get down the execution and playstyle requirements to really pull off the kinds of things you see the good Dante players on stream doing. If you don't have your Bold Cancelling down pat, you're really leaving most of Dante's most powerful options on the table.

Sigmaah

I think Spencer is pretty much fine except for they need to add damage scaling to his H grapple. It feels like that's the key to his humongo damage. Maybe lower the knockdown time after bionic maneuvers too so he doesn't get a second pick-up. I'm not too knowledgeable on the inner workings of Spencer though so maybe that second part can stay.

I think people give Dr. Doom a little too much credit. People seem to get caught by footdive way more often than they should because they don't respect it. You have to expect the footdive and don't try to beat it, then usually they will end up missing the dash cancel at some point and then you get a good punish.

I would be game for a hidden missile assist nerf though, especially after seeing it so much during top 8.

Footdives hitbox is broken as hell and crosses up from his ass lmao. That's what I want a fix for DD besides HM nerf. I don't know how to exactly nerf spencer tbh.

Doom's footdive only needs 1 real fix and that is its hitbox/hurtbox. Having a hitbox that literally his whole body is stupid. It basically means you can't hit him out of footdive unless its a trade. And trades against footdive is in doom's favor

30_drdoomhitboxt.jpg

Exactly, FUCK THIS FOOTDIVE. Dudes ass has a hitbox for gods sake...

vg260

This idea has probably been discussed, and way too late if so, but what about the idea of being able to use x-factor as a combo breaker, after which you can't follow up and just lose it. Like burst in BB (iirc?) What was the feeling on that? If I recall people kinda hated the idea of combo breakers. Just curious about a what if scenario.

I think it would be an overall waste at the moment. X-Factor at level one can easily kill a full health character and X-Factor 2 and 3 can devastate an entire team if used right. I would rather kill 1 or 2 characters than to survive a single combo even if I really need that character. Everyone on the cast is good in X-Factor and has ample time to do some setups. Now if X-Factor was nerfed in favor of combo breakers then things could be different.

I think adding maybe one combo breaker mechanic per match would be a great idea. Marvel is so chaotic that it's easy to be overwhelmed multiple times per match so a nice one time get out of jail free card wouldn't hurt the game at all.

I've always liked the idea. Being able to sacrifice your XF to escape a happy birthday for example would be a cool thing to have.

I would've liked it. Seems like a fair trade-off.
I kinda hate the idea of a small goof and the opponent opening you up with a jab then killing off your character. I would've liked the option to sacrifice X-factor to escape one combo, even if only one in a happy birthday, not both. It might not be worth implementing for the pros, but I would've loved the option for other skill levels where I think it would be used.

I would've liked it. Seems like a fair trade-off.
I kinda hate the idea of a small goof and the opponent opening you up with a jab then killing off your character. I would've liked the option to sacrifice X-factor to escape one combo, even if only one in a happy birthday, not both. It might not be worth implementing for the pros, but I would've loved the option for other skill levels where I think it would be used.

I like the idea too. Even at high levels, happy birthdays happen enough that we would see it used every once in a while. It would also give a little more weight to saving your x-factor with your last character.

Dante-Batman analogy is pretty damn perfect.

XF as a one time combo breaker, no effects after sounds really really interesting. Really magnifies people that believe in their team construction, which I'm all for. You listening Niitsuma?

shaowebb

Hey, are the Evo streams archived anywhere yet? I can't seem to find them. (I just want to see UMvC3 anyway, and MAYBE SCV.)

I accidently came home during the MK finals and left it on. I gotta say its worth the watch and I was VERY surprised at how good it looked at high play. The semifinals and grand finals were really great. Lots of character swapping between sets. I saw Kabal, Scorpion, Kung Lao, Rain, Kenshi (looked AWESOME), Jax,Reptile and even Stryker made an appearance all in the last few matches.

Just check out Perfect Legend and Pig the Hut vids. They were really something cool. Gives me hope for Injustice on the footsies, combos, and blockstrings.

broz0rs

I hope that there would be a Justin Wong and F. Champ rivalry. I think the scene would blow up even more if this happens.

Zissou

lol at people complaining about point doom. Hidden missiles complaints are well-justified, but if you're constantly getting hit with raw footdives you have serious issues playing this game.

You do not want "Burst" combo breakers in the game. :( Just look at MK. They destroy the pacing of a match.

Bad example. Burst is bad in MK due to many reasons, for one you can't bait a burst. Another is the way you get the ability to burst. The whole system favors rushdown characters (unless you're freddy or kenshi)

kirblar

Lol foot dive hit box.... Shit gets to me every time I see it.
It feels like Doom was buffed because he's a very unfriendly character to newer players because of his awkward movement and playstyle, but they just went way too far in trying to compensate for it.

DR2K

Banned
Playing Darkstlakers on Vita, picked Hsienko. Up yours Shitsuma. Was there a version of Hsienko ever MVC3 shitty?

MrDaravon

I hope that there would be a Justin Wong and F. Champ rivalry. I think the scene would blow up even more if this happens.

Wouldn't hurt, but I think an east coast/west coast rivalry would work better. FChamp and Chris G could happen if one of them starts talking shit about Evo.

Noi

You do not want "Burst" combo breakers in the game. :( Just look at MK. They destroy the pacing of a match.

In addition to what Ragingnight said, I'd also argue that it's because you can get multiple Breakers per round in MK since it's all meter-dependent. It bothered me to no end seeing matches during the MK finals yesterday where both players sat on full meter to save for Breakers.

The way 2&2 proposed it, it'd be a one time use Burst tied along to X-Factor, giving even more weight into what you want to use your X-Factor for.

In addition to what Ragingnight said, I'd also argue that it's because you can get multiple Breakers per round in MK since it's all meter-dependent. It bothered me to no end seeing matches during the MK finals yesterday where both players sat on full meter to save for Breakers.

The way 2&2 proposed it, it'd be a one time use Burst tied along to X-Factor, giving even more weight into what you want to use your X-Factor for.

That and you can bait it out and make them waste it.

And Bursts in Marvel is baaaadddddddddddd.

I do not think anyone wants to face a Phoenix or Zero who can burst.

Imagine, Dorm bursting and then killing a character.

To be honest that sounds like more of an argument for those characters and not the system mechanic of burst. Unless you're implying they get to combo off a burst then I can see your point.

Solune

Defintely I mean, you already see Dark Phoenix rises > Xfactor and you're dead. It seems combo breaking in Marvel is one of the main sources of saltiness, previously Tron and Haggar being the primary suspects.

Let's look at how many of the top 16 have HM, obviously HM was one of the main factors of winning UMvC3.
1. coL.cc|Filipino Champ (Magneto, Dormammu, Dr. Doom | Others)
2. LXG|Infrit (Spencer, Nova, Sentinel)
3. FC|NYChrisG (Akuma, Dr. Doom, Morrigan | Others)
4. coL.cc|Combofiend (Nova, Spencer, Hawkeye | Others)
5. TA|Frutsy (MODOK, Captain America, Taskmaster)
5. Flocker (Zero, Hawkeye, Vergil | Others)
7. EG|Justin Wong (Wolverine, Storm, Akuma | Others)
7. Y2J (Wolverine, Spencer, Magneto)

9. EM|Taekua (Nova, Taskmaster, Vergil)
9. FRB|Chou (Wesker, Magneto, Vergil | Others)
9. FR|TooMuchDamage (Zero, Wesker, Magneto)
9. PZPoy (Zero, Dr. Doom, Phoenix)
13. PA|Kinderparty (Taskmaster, Nova, Arthur)
13. Drew Grimey (C. Viper, Vergil, Strider)
13. AGE|Knives (Spencer, Sentinel, Akuma)
13. MA|Scrubeks (Super-Skrull, Spencer, MODOK)

In Top 16, there were 3 users of Hidden Missiles, Top 3 2 of them being Hidden Missiles. does that warrant a nerf? I'll concede that yes probably it does, but the only way to nerf it without making it useless is to once again remove how many missiles come out or to make them disappear when Doom is hit.

Noi

Just theoryfighting here, but doesn't that work both ways? Phoenix can burst, but then she loses the Lv 3 X-Factor. In addition, that means the player fighting Phoenix can also burst in the case that he gets caught with C.Ls. Someone who gets caught in lightning loops could get off that as well.

I'm not sure how the Burst card in H&H works, but you shouldn't be able to combo off it either.

KingsnBucs

Neo Member
EVO was so damn crazy. Seeing Infrit do so well with the same team I use made want to stop trying to switch Sentinel out and just let it rock. If anybody plays on 360, i'm bigboi1987.

As soon as this Carpal Tunnel pain goes away, I'm jumping right back on the Mahvel train. Hopefully the rust won't be as bad.

GatorBait

Alright Marvel-GAF, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth (and no shortage of enablers in this thread) I just called ahead to my local GameStop and told them to hold me a copy of the game to pick up later today, since they have it for $30 and I pay tax on Amazon anyway (stupid NY). I wanted a new 360 version but the only copy they had was opened, so I told them to hold me a new, sealed PS3 copy instead. If there is any reason I should reconsider to the 360 version (connection speed, framerate, whatever), speak now or forever hold your peace.

I look forward to getting steamrolled online while I jump around like an idiot looking at the shiny lasers.

What is your PSN? I'm on the east coast too. I'm not that great at this game, and I wouldn't mind playing against you with some new teams I want to test out that I am totally inexperienced with.

Just theoryfighting here, but doesn't that work both ways? Phoenix can burst, but then she loses the Lv 3 X-Factor. In addition, that means the player fighting Phoenix can also burst in the case that he gets caught with C.Ls. Someone who gets caught in lightning loops could get off that as well.

I'm not sure how the Burst card in H&H works, but you shouldn't be able to combo off it either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5abk8KHnMEo
1:15

you get a combo off it

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like you should be able to stuff it in the first few frames and let them rock if you hit Doom later in the animation.

Grecco

Wait what? Where did he say that? And that's the type of team he shouldve been running from the start.

He already said hes going to be using Vergil now, and i took a quick peek at his pre set teams and saw it. He has that Morrigan Taskmaster team, the team he went ham vs Flocker aka his Zero team and now that one....

Zissou

I feel like a burst mechanic would favor front heavy teams like knives' or zak bennett's since they could majorly fuck up without losing their core character. It would also help zero a lot, since even when you finally land that crucial clean hit to take out his top tier robot ass, he'll burst and you'll need to hit him again to end him for real. It would also be a buff for morridoom (and zoning in general, probably), since again, you would have to touch morrigan twice to get rid of her. It could also encourage poorer assist calls, since you could escape from happy birthdays as well. It could also help anchors with great chip output, since people would less frequently have xfactor at the end of the match to negate the chip.

The issue is it gives characters with oppressive neutral games and pixie style characters much better strength than high health characters typically speaking. Burst mechanics always favor lower health higher mobility. The burst mechanic not only have to be one time thing but should decrease the burstee's abilities for a set time and consume all red health.

Then it would be okay.

If not, gives low health and oppressive neutral game characters a buff. These characters would then be able to suppress you from moving or set you up in a 50/50 mixup.

Or the Pixie just tag out and regain the red health.

Hey MarvelGAF, I've been a long time lurker until 2 days ago when my account was finally activated. I just want to say I love the discussions that go on here, and would love to be part of the community as well.

I play this game quite often and it's probably my favourite fighter this gen. I'm often online on PSN, so feel free to add me: TWILTHERO. I consider myself "good" at this game, but not great. So yeah. [/lameintroduction]
Add me; check the OT for my PSN and add yourself.

lol at people complaining about point doom. Hidden missiles complaints are well-justified, but if you're constantly getting hit with raw footdives you have serious issues playing this game.
Indeed.

smurfx

get some go again
I feel like a burst mechanic would favor front heavy teams like knives' or zak bennett's since they could majorly fuck up without losing their core character. It would also help zero a lot, since even when you finally land that crucial clean hit to take out his top tier robot ass, he'll burst and you'll need to hit him again to end him for real. It would also be a buff for morridoom (and zoning in general, probably), since again, you would have to touch morrigan twice to get rid of her. It could also encourage poorer assist calls, since you could escape from happy birthdays as well. It could also help anchors with great chip output, since people would less frequently have xfactor at the end of the match to negate the chip.
well then those people should have just let their character get killed then and not waste burst on saving it. its a pretty good trade off and i don't see much problem with it. after they use their burst i can then blow x factor to punish one of their hits i block and kill that character anyway and then have enough to kill off other incoming characters.

Zissou

well then those people should have just let their character get killed then and not waste burst on saving it. its a pretty good trade off and i don't see much problem with it. after they use their burst i can then blow x factor to punish one of their hits i block and kill that character anyway and then have enough to kill off other incoming characters.

I wasn't trying to imply these things were bad or good, just trying to think out the implications of such a change. I'm kind of 50/50 at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom