• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
now that evo's done, do you guys plan on going back to the drawing board and coming up with new teams?

i've been going through a team crisis for the past couple of months, but all i really know is i'll probably won't stop playing spencer. i just can't seem to find two other characters that really click for me that i enjoy playing.
Just made me love Nova on my team some more. I'm eternally in the team crisis phase, but I may need to drop Akuma on anchor and stop using him as a crutch. I think I just need to go hit the drawing board entirely.

Just made me love Nova on my team some more. I'm eternally in the team crisis phase, but I may need to drop Akuma on anchor and stop using him as a crutch. I think I just need to go hit the drawing board entirely.

man i dont know what it is, but there isnt a character that has reverse ocv'd me more than xf3 anchor akuma. i always fall for stupid shit.

edit:
after thinking about it for a few minutes, i think i'll try a lame team of taskmaster/deadpool/hawkeye. im starting to enjoy taskmaster, so i think i'll stick with a couple of spencer/task teams: wolverine/task/spencer, spencer/task/wesker. that should hold me over for a few weeks.

Dahbomb

Chou is dropping Wesker and Magneto from his team.

Curious. Damn people are really off the Wesker bandwagon now.

Abegen said he might experiment with a new team too... Thor/Frank/She Hulk, She Hulk/Vergil/Strange

I love the time after EVO for a game like this. People now have so much time to explore new characters and teams. Plus recently discovered tech like the infinites and the kubota escape will become more prevalent in peoples game. Also characters that have a lot of potential like MODOK, Spider Man, Chris Redfield, Firebrand, Deadpool, Jill Valentine, Thor, Super Skrull, etc. will be explored more.

I'm probably gonna stick with Wesker/Magneto/Phoenix instead of swapping to Zero like I said. I'm gonna learn the infinite variations for Magneto, though. It's 3 characters I like using and already know how to use.

I'm gonna learn Magneto/Raccoon/Haggar, and go back to my Jill/Thor/Sentinel team from Vanilla.

Darkhadou

Neo Member
Yo guys, we got an upcoming tournament in London, UK and the dude running it has decided to make it 2/3 format single elimination brackets.

I'm in talks with theorganiser atm to come to an understanding for a better format, since everyone in the UK does 3/5 double elim but I'd be supremely grateful if you guys could sign this petition too, to support the cause and help open his eyes.

He's no evil dude or anything, just hasn't run a Marvel tourney before. He's done SF4, Tekken, FIFA though.

Thanks in advance: http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/marvel360gaming

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Your Nova was solid yesterday. Nice pressure because you covered him with assists quite well. Also feel your Akuma has certainly improved as well. Some of my losses against him were due to stupid errors on my part, so he may get countered more easily by better players.

Solune

now that evo's done, do you guys plan on going back to the drawing board and coming up with new teams?

i've been going through a team crisis for the past couple of months, but all i really know is i'll probably won't stop playing spencer. i just can't seem to find two other characters that really click for me that i enjoy playing.
Always in training mode =) Rethinking my team of Chris Morrigan Strider because even though it has good synergy, Morrigan doesn't get alot from Strider Vajra...

So far I'm happy with all my teams and experimenting with a Spiderman team.
Considering Dante, but also looking for additional options. Actually, would even like help with that if I fail with Dante. Who else to use as anchor?
Vergil! But seriously someone who anchors ok and helps Zero. X-copying Flocker is not a bad idea.
Yo guys, we got an upcoming tournament in London, UK and the dude running it has decided to make it 2/3 format single elimination brackets.

I'm in talks with theorganiser atm to come to an understanding for a better format, since everyone in the UK does 3/5 double elim but I'd be supremely grateful if you guys could sign this petition too, to support the cause and help open his eyes.

He's no evil dude or anything, just hasn't run a Marvel tourney before. He's done SF4, Tekken, FIFA though.

Thanks in advance: http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/marvel360gaming

Signed.

Bizazedo

Solune said:
Vergil! But seriously someone who anchors ok and helps Zero. X-copying Flocker is not a bad idea.

Considered it, but unsure if it would accomplish my main goal of transitioning Wesker out. To help the neutral game / fight other Zero's with assists.

I am supremely confident in the one man army ability of Zero to fight without assists, but battling full zoning or OTHER Zero's who are backed by assists is...difficult.

JeTmAn81

Yeah, canning Wesker.

Considering Dante, but also looking for additional options. Actually, would even like help with that if I fail with Dante. Who else to use as anchor?

It sucks as, individually, I love playing with all three of my dudes. Zero / Nova / Wesker. I don't want to drop any.

I've considered an alt team with Wesker on point, but don't see why I'd use that over a Zero point team at the moment.

If you're going to run Wesker on point, it would probably be best to build a whole new team just for him because yeah Zero isn't that best in that configuration. Zero needs to be up front.

As far as Dante goes, Mihe has shown that Zero and Dante are really BFF's. You would think Zero doesn't need any help controlling the air, and he doesn't...when he's in the air. But when he's on the ground he doesn't have tons of anti-air options, which is where Jam Session comes in. It seems really easy for Zero to convert off a Jam Session hit (I think superjump, MM into Buster shot into lightning for a combo), and that is probably all the help he really needs for the neutral game.

Either Dante or Nova can work on anchor since they both do big damage off air throws in XF3. Nova probably gets more out of Dante's assist than vice versa, so maybe Dante would be best running last.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Grats! IMO, once you get a basic ABC combo down, most of your time should go into learning the feel of a 3-character team you want to stick with for a while.

What's the best way to get a feel for the characters I want to have in my team? I was thinking of just doing the mission modes for all the characters to see who has moves that I enjoy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Your Nova was solid yesterday. Nice pressure because you covered him with assists quite well. Also feel your Akuma has certainly improved as well. Some of my losses against him were due to stupid errors on my part, so he may get countered more easily by better players.
Thanks, and yeah I just feel like I can't bank on those errors for my Akuma's success. I end up panicking and wasting my X-Factor at times, with the lack of an actual game plan.

Tempted to go back to Hawkeye or Skrull.. Tempted. I like way too many characters in this game ;(

Bizazedo

Either Dante or Nova can work on anchor since they both do big damage off air throws in XF3. Nova probably gets more out of Dante's assist than vice versa, so maybe Dante would be best running last.

Yeah, Zero / Nova / Dante is my current configuration. Lots of ways to hurt people once Zero lands a hit in that config, especially with the damage Nova does as DHC.

I am just horrendous with Dante at the moment, so it's essentially a 2 and 1/3 character team.

If anyone wants to murder me tonight, yell.

vg260

What's the best way to get a feel for the characters I want to have in my team? I was thinking of just doing the mission modes for all the characters to see who has moves that I enjoy.

Maybe just pick some and play arcade mode as well for basics or maybe CPU in training mode since you can quickly switch assists. Sadly I don't think characters you enjoy most is the best way to pick an effective team and win, so that's something to consider regarding frustration level. I've only been playing Spidey/Iron Man/Cap since I almost always play the characters I enjoy as characters, and they're hardly a good team tier-wise. I probably need to venture away from them for more success at my skill level.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I haven't really touched this game much since Skullgirls dropped and even then I didn't really play either one. Ran a ft10 with my brother and was dropping so much stuff. :/

I think I might switch from Wesker / Vergil / Mag to:

Mag / Doom / Ammy
Dante / Vergil / Mag
Vergil / Mag / Strider
Nova / Frank West / Mag

Got him with Doom / Ammy THC shenanigans until he caught on once and XFC -> Arthur Lvl 3 between Ammy's spells.

My execution is all over. Was dropping simple flight -> hyper grav stuff, but was nailing corner EMP Loops without issues... :/

If anything EVO made me even more sure my team is the one I'll be playing, and that maybe my initial Ult team of Spidey/Nova/Hawkeye is still worthing having for wrinkles. Just gotta iron out any deficiencies in the main and ensure all my tech is in place (new stuff included).

Also that I should either learn Modok/morrigan/phoenix or shutup about it. I can imagine the tilts already :lol

Dahbomb

Chou is hungry again:

"I want to get way better. I want to quit my job. I want to play furiously. I want revenge for Evo."

This is what I like to see although I don't know about quitting your day job that's a bit extreme.

I am happy to see the Japanese haven't lost their spirit and drive after EVO.

Bizazedo

Evo just reinforced that fact that I have terrible execution.

The main thing I noticed between those placing high and those not..well, two things.

One, execution. I would've won my pool easily if not for the Japanese player GX, instead I got out in losers. I actually feel GX is beatable, just was second match and his execution was flawless. He dropped like one versus me.

And, two, was incoming mixups or as I like to say, "why I lost to Meep".

smurfx

get some go again

no i'm sticking to my team. i'm just going to try and get good with all 3 of my characters. right now they aren't anywhere close to optimized as they should be.

rexor0717

If anything, EVO showed me that a team with good synergy is what matters, not how top tier it is (Magus would throw a fit). I'm finding new stuff with my team all the time, so I know there is room for improvement. I will definitely improve my Dormamu to mimic FChamps, that is the right way to play that character.

smurfx

get some go again
i think you use dormammu like champ and zak bennet. there is no reason why you should only do one style when rushdown also works pretty well for him. if you aren't taking advantage of his retarded hit boxes then you are doing it wrong.

Awesome

Banned
So how hard is it to get good at this game? I was watching the EVO matches and I think that they are just at a whole different level.

Vice

So how hard is it to get good at this game? I was watching the EVO matches and I think that they are just at a whole different level.

It isn't too hard, it just takes a lot of time. If you spend a lot of time playing the game, like hours every day, you can get to the top level of play in about two years. Maybe less, it takes a lot of time and dedication.

It's mostly learning how to control space and when to press buttons that are the biggest hurdles.

DR2K

Banned
It isn't too hard, it just takes a lot of time. If you spend a lot of time playing the game, like hours every day, you can get to the top level of play in about two years. Maybe less, it takes a lot of time and dedication.

It's mostly learning how to control space and when to press buttons that are the biggest hurdles.

MVC3 hasn't even been out for 2 years, lol.

MVC3 is an incredibly simple game, it's not one that requires years of execution. What seperates top players from good ones is tournament jitters. Everyone was dropping combos they wouldn't have just because of the stage they were fighting in(EVO).

Team Synergy(aka just add hidden missiles), knowing when to Xfactor, having a character than can kill off a throw, and just general tournament experience is a recipe for a top player.

Azure J

We're talking about EVO making us want to play other teams? Well, I'm always trying to find/investigate team compositions on my own, but I definitely feel like Dante/Amaterasu/Strider will be my namesake team. Dante/Felicia/Phoenix is my fun secondary that I want to make stronger overall. The last team though is up in the air. I feel like it should be my most potent "counterpick" team that focuses on different things than my first team (stronger emphasis on zoning or rushdown, my main team is a "neutral" team imo), but I can't seem to pick something I like. Dante/Dormammu/Magneto and Vergil/Doom/Morrigan are the top picks for that last spot, but every now and again I do feel the urge to say screw that and play Viper/Dante/Strider. Only problem with that is, I can't play Viper's neutral game for shit. :lol

Tried out Joe/Frank/Ammy the other day, and I'm liking Ammy on anchor. I don't know any crazy wackadoo Ammy combos yet, so I'm just relying on Triple H and Cold Star.

Here, this video will help out quite a bit. Also, as someone who is only just dipping his toes into Ammy after playing her so long, learn to abuse Veil of Mist. The possibilities that thing opens up make it worth the investment even more so than Okami Shuffle at times.

Vice

MVC3 hasn't even been out for 2 years, lol.

MVC3 is an incredibly simple game, it's not one that requires years of execution. What seperates top players from good ones is tournament jitters. Everyone was dropping combos they wouldn't have just because of the stage they were fighting in(EVO).

Team Synergy(aka just add hidden missiles), knowing when to Xfactor, having a character than can kill off a throw, and just general tournament experience is a recipe for a top player.

I was talking about fighting games in general. Going from zero to top level in almost any fighting game will take about two years with less time needed if you already mastered the basics that you need in any game in the genre.

Most likely old but fuck this Strange combo is sweet

Dr Strange combo
Super old, but so sexy. Ridiculously hard to do, too.

i think you use dormammu like champ and zak bennet. there is no reason why you should only do one style when rushdown also works pretty well for him. if you aren't taking advantage of his retarded hit boxes then you are doing it wrong.
A good Dormammu is a flexible Dormammu.

@Slasher:
GGs. My play was really poor toward the start because it was my first time playing on the new TV, and I think it has less input lag or something.

Your team really frustrates my Firebrand, because he just doesn't have a lot of options to get past the Maya barrier.

I started messing around with teams that would let Morrigan be on point or second (DHCing her in). Characters like Spencer and Amaterasu can DHC into Astral Vision for Soul Drain. I'd like to get something like that going. She's the second most fun character to play in this game, and it sucks that she's stuck in the anchor spot. I'm looking at maybe anchoring Dormammu because he tends to be stronger than my whole team (lol).

kirblar

Abegen said he might experiment with a new team too... Thor/Frank/She Hulk, She Hulk/Vergil/Strange
You need multiple teams at the top levels now. Go go counter picking!

Someone needs to tell Abegen to pick up MODOK. He and She-Hulk are wonderful together, and he gets the same command grab setups.

I started messing around with teams that would let Morrigan be on point or second (DHCing her in). Characters like Spencer and Amaterasu can DHC into Astral Vision for Soul Drain. I'd like to get something like that going. She's the second most fun character to play in this game, and it sucks that she's stuck in the anchor spot. I'm looking at maybe anchoring Dormammu because he tends to be stronger than my whole team (lol).

Why not keep her anchor and DHC in with Stalking Flare -> Astral Vision?

Why not keep her anchor and DHC in with Stalking Flare -> Astral Vision?
I don't want to lose out on Dormammu backed by Morrigan. That combination is priceless. I just want Morrigan to have some screentime outside of anchoring. Plus, I really need to up my game with her, and that won't happen if she's last. It has to be a good team, you know?

I'm looking for a character that:
1) Can DHC into Astral Vision to land Soul Drain (not just in combos, but out of "punish" situations).
2) Can help Morrigan combo into Soul Drain.
3) Can survive off of Dark Harmonizer and Dark Hole.

Also, Spencer THC backed by Finishing Shower leads to full combos - pretty sexy stuff. I'm still happy with Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan, I just want to find something to let me play Morrigan on point or second. Also, Dormammu/Morrigan/Phoenix is hilarious. I get 5 bars so fast without even trying.

EDIT: @Slasher:
Poltergust said he'd be glad to play against you. His PSN is Poltergust_3000.

Dahbomb

You definitely need multiple teams to do well at the highest level. Abegen needs a team that deals with heavy zoners and a team that deals armor/Lariat teams. He can definitely keep his normal team. And I definitely approve of MODOK for his team.

Frantic

So, last night began my Dante experiment. Jesus, he feels so slow compared to Zero / Nova / Wesker.
He's definitely slow in the normal department, but on the movement he's pretty fast once you've gotten his movement down. Just gotta get a handle on him.

I've got all sorts of team ideas, but still mainly sticking to Dante/Strider. Honestly, if Strider's DHC options didn't suck so bad as far as damage went, things would be so much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom