• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Justin picks Spencer/Vergil/Frank team... ChrisG counters with Ryu/Wesker/Hawkeye team.

Justin then counter picks that team with his Wolverine/Storm/Akuma team... ChrisG counter picks it with his Morrigan team.

ChrisG wins one more and Justin decides to stick it out with his Wolverine team.

I am just confused as to how Ryu/Wesker/Hawkeye beats Spencer/Vergil/Frank or what was ChrisG's logic behind picking it.
It has to simply be that it's just the only other team he's confident with that can't get steam rolled by Bionic Arm -> Spiral Swords. The Hawkeye assist rocks Frank West, but wouldn't help against Akuma. That has to be part of it.

Cap, Nova and Task are all in the category of simple yet effective/solid characters. So happy to see Cap make top 5 at EVO.

Anyone know why ChrisG used his OG team against Justin? When he picked that team I seriously thought he had mind fucked himself out of EVO but then he won matches with that team and I have to wonder what his game plan was going in with that team.

Justin's Vergil team was made to counter Chris g, I remember him even tweeting about finding answers to that team once he lost to Chris G a bit ago, forgot the major but it was the one Chris 3-0 him.

Chris knew that so he changed it up and fucked Justin's plan.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Justin picks Spencer/Vergil/Frank team... ChrisG counters with Ryu/Wesker/Hawkeye team.

Justin then counter picks that team with his Wolverine/Storm/Akuma team... ChrisG counter picks it with his Morrigan team.

ChrisG wins one more and Justin decides to stick it out with his Wolverine team.

I am just confused as to how Ryu/Wesker/Hawkeye beats Spencer/Vergil/Frank or what was ChrisG's logic behind picking it.

In a weird way Ryu can beat out spencer with his normals and that's exactly what happened over and over

Grecco

Sorry. After doing Bionic Maneuvers, i try to follow it up with a down Wire Grapple but i can't seem to get the timing right. What i do is jump and immediately do the wire grapple but i fail at hitting the opponent.

You mean after the first hyper combo? how to link? You have to tigerknee the ground H wire grapple. The easiest thing is Tiger Knee H wire grapple, zip wire down bionic lancer seccond super (Theres the better X zip that knives uses)

Basically the motion is Down, Down forward, forward, forward up H

Dahbomb

That was my theory as well, Ryu has better, faster normals than Spencer and that gives him the edge at the start of the round against Spencer. Ryu also has his Hurricane kick hyper that can be used to kick Vergil out of his Spiral Swords along with his other invincible specials. Plus all of those characters are great whiff punishers, ideal for taking on Vergil. There is also the Wesker DHC counter hyper in case Justin gets too Bionic Arm happy. And of course the point that was brought up that Arrows > Cart but not Tatsu.

I don't think it was a great counter team more so that it was to throw off Justin and his game plan against ChrisG. It was high level counter meta/mind games going on there.

LakeEarth

Sorry. After doing Bionic Maneuvers, i try to follow it up with a down Wire Grapple but i can't seem to get the timing right. What i do is jump and immediately do the wire grapple but i fail at hitting the opponent.

d, df, f, uf, wait a split second for jump startup frames and then H. You'll get the timing, or die trying... literally, you're screwed if you fail to jump and you just zip the sky.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That was my theory as well, Ryu has better, faster normals than Spencer and that gives him the edge at the start of the round against Spencer. Ryu also has his Hurricane kick hyper that can be used to kick Vergil out of his Spiral Swords along with his other invincible specials. Plus all of those characters are great whiff punishers, ideal for taking on Vergil. There is also the Wesker DHC counter hyper in case Justin gets too Bionic Arm happy. And of course the point that was brought up that Arrows > Cart but not Tatsu.

I don't think it was a great counter team more so that it was to throw off Justin and his game plan against ChrisG. It was high level counter meta/mind games going on there.

It's the Ryu in there that mind fucked justin. No one really plays him and even to this day people underestimate him. Same thing happened with Frutsy's cap. Unless you are a character with disjointed hit boxes YOU DO NOT try to out hit ryu

I saw it also as people completely forgetting that ChrisG has ever played anything besides MorriDoom at all.

kirblar

Cap, Nova and Task are all in the category of simple yet effective/solid characters. So happy to see Cap make top 5 at EVO.

Anyone know why ChrisG used his OG team against Justin? When he picked that team I seriously thought he had mind fucked himself out of EVO but then he won matches with that team and I have to wonder what his game plan was going in with that team.
Because Justin was counterpicking the Morrigan team.

Tirael

Its pretty obvious its "Avengers" themed to get the movie buzz but it has Wolverine/Magneto/Storm characters barely related to the Avengers franchise. Fact that its kinect/waggle based makes me sad.

It makes me SICK that Venom is a playable character in this. NOT PERTINENT, IS HE MARVEL? THEN WHY ARE YOU PUTTING HIM IN YOUR CRAPPY GAME THAT'S A TIE-IN TO THE EXTREMELY PERTINENT SMASH HIT BLOCKBUSTER YOU JUST HAD?

The thing about Hyper Charging Star is that if any hit connects, he gets all of the hyper's hits. So it's not like Berserker Barrage X, which wears out hits as it travels.

Holy crap, you're right! One of my main sparring partners mains Cap, and I was wondering why HCS does so much damage, even when he hits from further away.

kirblar

Just saw a Jill get a happy birthday on Spencer + Frank (cart assist) via an alpha counter. (8wayRun)

Love this game.

It makes me SICK that Venom is a playable character in this. NOT PERTINENT, IS HE MARVEL? THEN WHY ARE YOU PUTTING HIM IN YOUR CRAPPY GAME THAT'S A TIE-IN TO THE EXTREMELY PERTINENT SMASH HIT BLOCKBUSTER YOU JUST HAD?
He has many of the same issues as Shuma does. I loved him in MvC2, but the "turn yourself into a projectile thing" is sort of an awkward space to be in this incarnation.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Just saw a Jill get a happy birthday on Spencer + Frank (cart assist) via an alpha counter. (8wayRun)

Love this game.

thats a vanilla tech. Probably the only thing Jill is known for still.

You can do the same with Spider Sting and Mighty Smash assists

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Love this game.

He has many of the same issues as Shuma does. I loved him in MvC2, but the "turn yourself into a projectile thing" is sort of an awkward space to be in this incarnation.

Shuma would be great if mystic smash wasnt air grababble a mile away from the fucking hitbox.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Summah SAULT

She's dope.

Marlin Pie testing out Magneto again. I hope he uses him for an anti-zoning team. I want to steal all of the dirty stuff he comes up with. lol

Dahbomb

Yeah Jill's Somersault CC has been known since Vanilla and it's probably the most potent CC in the game because not only does it lead into a full combo it's also safe on block.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
X-23's mission #8 is annoying me; I'm unable to link her QCF M into an X-Factor into a launch. Something about the timing is messing me up. Either I'm hitting X-Factor too late or my launch whiffs. Is there a secret to getting this timing down that I'm missing?

kirblar

Marlin still can't really deal with Morrigan (and I presume, other hard zoning) effectively on his team, can he? (JRosa just 3-0 or 3-1'd him at 8wayrun with MorriDoom/Strider)

Dahbomb

I am watching it now and he seems to have a sudden hard on for it. Seems you can waste Vergil's Spiral Swords almost entirely with it. FChamp says this trick is a nerf against Vergil.

Oldschoolgamer

Eh? You still have to be on the lookout for Round Trip and mixups on incoming. If you forget which side your point character dies, you can potentially cross yourself up and still land on swords.

Dahbomb

Justin's Wolverine tech is exposed holy crap this is huge!!!!

Wolverine can self combo off of a ground throw from anywhere if he is sped up!!!!

rexor0717

That double jump is the absolute best mixup in the game. I can never remember that he has it.

This. I get blown up by that shit.

What assists outside of Spencer are good for extending Nova combos? I want to focus on my Nova, but as of now I can't seem to be able to effectively use Task or Dooms assists for combo extension.

Solune

What's a good incoming Cap mixup?

Shield Throw H

Charging star.

That double jump is the absolute best mixup in the game. I can never remember that he has it.
LOL

Wait what in the blue blazes? That's beyond retarded.

This. I get blown up by that shit.

What assists outside of Spencer are good for extending Nova combos? I want to focus on my Nova, but as of now I can't seem to be able to effectively use Task or Dooms assists for combo extension.

Depending on what type of combo you started with, Doom missiles is excellent for Nova (It's excellent for most characters). if you do a basic MHS > JMMHS > Nova Slam(F+H) (Call Doom) S > JMMH. Doom missiles allows you to hit another J.S that's not normally possible. The same thing should be possible with Taskmaster Vertical arrows as well. If you're using Taskmaster Horizontal arrows, it's better to use it to hitconfirm into a Nova Strike H.

Oldschoolgamer

Glad to see I'm not the only one that gets blown-up by Cap. Every time he touches Mags or Vergil I just shake my head as they start dieing.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
How the hell do you do it? I can't get shit off a throw unless it's in the corner.

And all I got was a jab.

Edit- seems like it's easier on back throws/ you can only do it off of a back throw

Modified Shady K combo: LL2LMHS, jH adf jH xx Magnetic Blast L, dash S, jH adf jMH xx flight jLH [aduf jH] x8, jS, OTG assist + Hyper Grav L xx Magnetic Tempest

it's hard as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Ok off a back throw it's super easy. Still scales the high holy hell out of your combo though.

661k for 3 bars (used Fatal Claw loop) and I'm sure it gains next to nothing since it starts with Beserker Charge.

shaowebb

So did anyone ever hear anything more about the zombie assist thing? Seems like nothing ever happened after it was mentioned. Fraudulent news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom