• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeTmAn81

Hrm.

So, been toying with Danter for two days now and starting to fear that the muscles in my hands won't allow me to bold cancel reliably. This was a sad realization last night. I could do it, mostly going to the right, but going to the left of the screen has always been weaker for me. Dunny why, going to blame the Muscular Dystrophy lol.

Sooooooooo....

The team is obviously better as a team with Dante than Wesker. Zero's always been frightening, but hitting 920,800 damage without doing a lightning loop with only one meter is all sorts of broken hilariousness. He even works decently with Nova.

If I get down to Dante, though..hrm.

So, alternatives. First question. What's the most damaging combos one can do without bold cancelling for Dante? Or should I just say screw it and move on?

Also considering Vergil and Spencer, but unsure which'd help best with the neutral game if I do abandon Dante.

Also, sup Odd Morsel :).

You don't really want to keep playing Dante if you don't feel you're going to be able to get all his Bold Cancelling stuff down. Vergil would be a good replacement. He's one of the best anchors in the game and the execution requirements to play him are much, much lower than they are for Dante. The downside is that his assists are not quite as helpful in the neutral game but you play Zero so that's not such a big deal. Rapid Slash is pretty great for pushing your opponent away, though.

Chavelo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KK4pzbsjk0&feature=youtu.be&a

Watching this now since i didn see it live, its funny how they mention the mexican taskmasters

LA PARKA
la-parka-lucha-libre-mexico_48226.jpg
=

EDIT: True dat, Smurf! :3

vg260

I know Spidey/Iron Man/Cap is not a great team, but what would be a good choice of assists to maximize Spidey's effectiveness? I hate his OTG so much.

JeTmAn81

Apropos of nothing, I noticed there were zero Caucasians in Marvel's top 8 this year (and of course zero in Street Fighter as well). I would like to welcome our new Filipino/Mexican/Puerto Rican/Chinese overlords.

Grecco

I know Spidey/Iron Man/Cap is not a great team, but what would be a good choice of assists to maximize Spidey's effectiveness? I hate his OTG so much.

Something to otg with. Justin used Felicia in his Spidey team and Mame uses doom missiles.

smurfx

get some go again
you can also use hawkeyes poison tip assist to otg from pretty far away with spiderman but greyhound is the much better assist. just play killasasa and you will know.

Bizazedo

Can you find a replacement assist?

It's kind of my problem at the moment. Dante is hands down the best assist for Zero (imo). It's been helping me get in and then use Nova assist to do wicked high low / left right mixups.

Not to mention that it allows me if used in a combo to hit 740k in damage pre-hypers with this team (the combo goes on foreeeeeeeever).

The problem is just my hands and utilizing Dante to his fullest once it comes down to him. If BC'ng isn't viable for the hands, then.. :/

I'd love to find something as good. Maybe Vergil will be a test tonight. Or Spencer. I dunno. Kind of bummed about the Dante, thing, it felt so good running Zero and Nova in front of that bullshit.

You don't really want to keep playing Dante if you don't feel you're going to be able to get all his Bold Cancelling stuff down. Vergil would be a good replacement. He's one of the best anchors in the game and the execution requirements to play him are much, much lower than they are for Dante. The downside is that his assists are not quite as helpful in the neutral game but you play Zero so that's not such a big deal. Rapid Slash is pretty great for pushing your opponent away, though.

I want to control the neutral at least slightly more, though :(. Pushing away isn't necessarily what I want. That and Nova is very bad at meter building and likes meter.

Maybe Spencer with grapple assist.

@Q: I'm awake if you want to fight.

Slasher had him in Turnabout mode with XF2, and I have never experienced such horror. It made XF3 Dormammu look like child's play. The screen was absolutely filled with projectiles, tracking projectile, that I had no hope of dodging. It was like five Dr. Strange's on the screen. Terrifying. Since he has a great assist, it make me think he would be a good anchor, except that you have to get him into Turnabout. Too much work for me.

First of all thanks for taking the time to type all that out, and secondly thanks for that link. All this talk of assist synergy and anchors was flying over my head because I have absolutely no clue what the metagame is for UMvC3, and that link looks like it has all the answers I seek. I will spend my downtime at work today going through it.

I see, so you suggest Morrigan/Dante/X-23. I understand your arguments for that setup, and like I said I can always experiment and change things around; none of this is set in stone. It seems like Morrigan is the weakest person in this team, should I consider switching her out for someone else? I put her in because I like the way she plays, but if she's bad I can always switch her out for someone else.
Morrigan isn't the weak link. Think of it this way: some characters are team players more than others. Some characters need things to shine, other things have things to give to shine, and some can shine just fine by themselves. Morrigan generally needs to be the center of attention on a team. She's not on mine - I actually anchor her, but I tend to burn XF2 on Dormammu instead of using it on her.

Good lord, do not put Dante on Anchor. He needs to be point or second on any team.
I think Dante is a fantastic anchor. He shines in 1v1 situations, and his XF3 is really hard to keep track of. He burns people down quickly in combos if you take the time to master his XF3 combos.

Hrm.

So, been toying with Danter for two days now and starting to fear that the muscles in my hands won't allow me to bold cancel reliably. This was a sad realization last night. I could do it, mostly going to the right, but going to the left of the screen has always been weaker for me. Dunny why, going to blame the Muscular Dystrophy lol.

Sooooooooo....

The team is obviously better as a team with Dante than Wesker. Zero's always been frightening, but hitting 920,800 damage without doing a lightning loop with only one meter is all sorts of broken hilariousness. He even works decently with Nova.

So, alternatives. First question. What's the most damaging combos one can do without bold cancelling for Dante? Or should I just say screw it and move on?

Also considering Vergil and Spencer, but unsure which'd help best with the neutral game if I do abandon Dante.

Also, sup Odd Morsel :).
You don't want to use Dante if you can't bold cancel. It's a huge part of his game even outside of combos. You could map the bold cancel to a single button if your hands are having problems.

lol well yipes is right in that mexicans love taskmaster since i use him and chavelo as well.
What's appealing about him for Mexicans?

smurfx

get some go again
What's appealing about him for Mexicans?
well i can only speak for myself but i like his options. his defense is really good too and since i'm generally a defensive player then he fits well into my team. also if you look at most of the top ranking mexican players on live then you will see that wolverine is in far more teams than task.

smurfx

get some go again
Deadpool is the new Spencer; apparently bolo causes moves to do unscaled damage?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M55apauFyk4

1.2 million damage for 1 bar.

I meant aesthetically.
well i like his udon costume. regular task always looked goofy. maybe yipes is right and he reminds us of a luchador. omg when i think about it both hawkeye and haggar are luchador types. oh wow that deadpool thing is some broken shit.

Deadpool is the new Spencer; apparently bolo causes moves to do unscaled damage?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M55apauFyk4

1.2 million damage for 1 bar.

man that was nasty, though i don't play tatsu's team. i didn't get a chance to try my new team yesterday but deadpools non teleport bnbs get pretty good damage...but i'll mostly try to play keepaway.

2&2 said:
What was that Spencer zip thing people were doing at the end of combos at EVO?

his upgrapple? you can find neat ways to use that at the end of spencer's combos, and it does 80k damage, unscaled everytime. most spencer combos are about trying to use upgrapples multiple times.

He only did like 2 Bolos in that combo and even then they didn't do that much damage as even at cap they aren't that damaging (not like 80K per Bolo). What's doing the damage is all those Quick Slices, he manage to squeeze so many of those in with those 2 assists.
Apparently the Bolos reduce the overall damage scaling of the combo somehow.

Also, Bionic Arm -> Astral Vision = 800K just through Soul Fist juggling, lol.

Solune

Hrm.

Sooooooooo....

Vergil Rapid Slash or Rising Sun (Rapid Slash is much better) if you decide to use him
Any Spencer assist is ok, but if you want assistance in neutral game Horizontal or Slant assist is best.

Unfortunately if you can't BC with Dante I wouldn't recommend using him, it is essential for him outside of combos for making his pressure safe and after whiffing. The best combo I can even think of is the Day 0 Relaunch BnB.
Good lord, do not put Dante on Anchor. He needs to be point or second on any team.
People need to stop saying Dante is a bad anchor, He can ToD off air throws and can either chip you out or RTSD. There's just too many fraudulent Dante's that you don't get to see his capacity, that and everyone dropped him.
What was that Spencer zip thing people were doing at the end of combos at EVO?

It's Jump Air Grapple H, Zipline DF, Zipline DB, Upgrapple.

Bizazedo

You don't want to use Dante if you can't bold cancel. It's a huge part of his game even outside of combos. You could map the bold cancel to a single button if your hands are having problems.
That was actually the point I hit depression mode about him last night. The thought occurred to me as well, but you can't map just S + Atk to a single button.

It's one thing I hate Capcom about as it screwed me in SF 4, too. Just let us remap as much as possible, damnit.

Azure J

Apparently the Bolos reduce the overall damage scaling of the combo somehow.

Also, Bionic Arm -> Astral Vision = 800K just through Soul Fist juggling, lol.

You're kidding me. :lol

I really want to play with Soul Fist juggle combos, but I can never get a configuration with Morrigan that I like enough to invest in lately.

Edit:

I don't hate TAC's but I do remember the vanilla E3 build where if you countered there TAC you could continue your own. I was kinda upset that they took it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp0vlyCCkQQ=0m47s

WHY WAS THIS TAKEN OUT?

No one wants to play? :0(

That was actually the point I hit depression mode about him last night. The thought occurred to me as well, but you can't map just S + Atk to a single button.

It's one thing I hate Capcom about as it screwed me in SF 4, too. Just let us remap as much as possible, damnit.
That bites. I know that "this won't work like I want it to" feeling.

You're kidding me. :lol

I really want to play with Soul Fist juggle combos, but I can never get a configuration with Morrigan that I like enough to invest in lately.
This one was really easy. It's just Bionic Arm, Astral Vision, and then qcf.H, qcb.S, qcf.L, qcb.S, repeat. I could only do 4 loops before messing up. With some creativity, you could turn this into a Soul Drain setup a la Rocket Raccoon's trap. You can definitely Soul Drain off of this, but I didn't mess with it much. If you combined it with a good assist, I bet you could land 2-3 Soul Drains.

Trying to get Cuttin' Time to DHC well into Astral Vision and do the same thing.

WHY WAS THIS TAKEN OUT?
People complained that TACs would be worthless if it were in - lol!

Some interesting news from a guy I trust:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/637240-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3/63373624

smurfx

get some go again
That bites. I know that "this won't work like I want it to" feeling.
reminds me of why i don't play fps games on consoles. i can't aim for shit with my right hand so i can't play the games and i don't want to put in the time to make it work either. rtcw for the ps2 let me totally remap the controls the way i wanted to so i was able to aim with my left hand and map the movements to the buttons and it worked really well but no other fps game that i know of lets you do that.

I think Hawkeye is his best friend. Damage isn't great unless you learn your UWT resets which are much stronger with this duo than any other imo. That said, Spidey gives Clint more than he can give any other character, which is great for what is essentially a built for point character. Very complimentary as long as you have 2bar and have reactions if Hawkeye is on point. Makes his space control that much more imposing.

Taskmaster is pretty good for him too. Unibeam as a get in/repulsor as an extender is great too, as is plasma beam/missiles.

Best OTG is Katanarma imo. I use x-23 cuz she's a much more volatile character, and has turned more than a few matches for me. Her assist still Happy Bday's too, which is the most important thing about an OTG to me (Wesker's is good for speed more than anything).

You can play Spidey/task/hawkeye on tip, I've ran it before. Lots of damage and big DHCs between the master and Parker.

If you hate his OTG, then Felicia, X-23, Wesker or Deadpool are easiest to apply. Choose a good projectile assist (preferably with a char that can DHC from Max Spider) and you have a stew going.

Spidey/ironman/someone aint that bad as long as you can combo into crawler assault so you can get to PC for huge damage.

Also, if you ever want to run some sets, I'm game :D I borrowed my friends PSTriple copy again, so I'm in there, but I'm playing that janky ASM game too now...still fun enough.

I think Hawkeye is his best friend. Taskmaster is pretty good for him too. Unibeam as a get in/repulsor as an extender is great too, as is plasma beam/missiles.

Best OTG is Katanarma imo. I use x-23 cuz she's a much more volatile character, and has turned more than a few matches for me. Her assist still Happy Bday's too, which is the most important thing about an OTG to me (Wesker's is good for speed more than anything).

You can play Spidey/task/hawkeye on tip, I've ran it before. Lots of damage and big DHCs between the master and Parker.

If you hate his OTG, then Felicia, X-23, Wesker or Deadpool are easiest to apply. Choose a good projectile assist (preferably with a char that can DHC from Max Spider) and you have a stew going.

Spidey/ironman/someone aint that bad as long as you can combo into crawler assault so you can get to PC for huge damage.

Also, if you ever want to run some sets, I'm game :D I borrowed my friends PSTriple copy again, so I'm in there, but I'm playing that janky ASM game too now...still fun enough.
Damn, I'm over here begging for matches and you offer to someone else? :-(

Bizazedo

reminds me of why i don't play fps games on consoles. i can't aim for shit with my right hand so i can't play the games and i don't want to put in the time to make it work either. rtcw for the ps2 let me totally remap the controls the way i wanted to so i was able to aim with my left hand and map the movements to the buttons and it worked really well but no other fps game that i know of lets you do that.

Marvel's been pretty good on the whole about it, although I did originally want to play Taskmaster. The multiple arrow hypers / directions + hands foiled that.

I did eventually find out in vanilla (and Ultimate, I assume) that if you map a button to L+M+H you can use a trick to utilize it for the various hypers.

Want the hyper that's L+M? Hold down the separate button you have mapped to H just before you do the hyper motion and hit the L+M+H button. Since H is held down prior to hitting L+M+H, it'll only register L+M.

Makes me want to try Taskmaster again utilizing that, but seems like it might be a pain in the ass still working that into muscle memory.

Best OTG is Katanarma imo. I use x-23 cuz she's a much more volatile character, and has turned more than a few matches for me.

/shakes fist.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I highly doubt Clock would go trying to act all tough to Mamespider over just simply respect in a game with disrespectful stuff everywhere. Especially so because Clock now has a company to represent. Clock looked really visibly upset at the thrashing he received though. And it's not like he had to do well to represent Superbot or something, I doubt there was corporate pressure in that sense either. Clock did really well amongst all the upsets everywhere.

At the same time, I don't remember anything disrespectful in that set.

/shakes fist.

She's so pretty~

My talk about Hawkeye has given me another idea, for maybe Hawkeye/Shulkie/Strange on Bolts.

Hawkeye gets projectile support, and AA DHC for people coming over the top, while Shulkie has Bolts to set up commands grabs since people love to duck it. Doc ain't the worst anchor in the world either. Worth checking out as a troll team at least.

I know Shulk has torpedo as an assist... I think her others are flash kick and clothesline? Oy. Don't know.

Nert

After realizing that I'm just not good enough yet to make Tron work on a team (almost falling from 4th Lord to 5th whatever made me salty), I've dropped Tron/Frank West/Arthur and picked up Firebrand/Super Skrull/Arthur. The Tenderizer assist into an unblockable setup isn't impossible to get around, but it catches a lot of people off guard and leads to very one-sided games. I also like the simple DHC into Inferno after a Firebrand combo that ends in Dark Fire. Arthur's daggers make it easy to approach with Firebrand and makes my scrubby random meteor smashes safer.

Beyond that, anchor Arthur continues to net me OCVs. The character must be too obscure for many to remember that he has a full-screen level 3 that instantly and safely wipes out assists.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Did they change this from Vanilla to Ultimate? I know that in Vanilla anyway, you couldn't assign bold cancel (A+S) to a button back when I was trying to use shortcuts.

Solune

She's so pretty~

My talk about Hawkeye has given me another idea, for maybe Hawkeye/Shulkie/Strange on Bolts.

Hawkeye gets projectile support, and AA DHC for people coming over the top, while Shulkie has Bolts to set up commands grabs since people love to duck it. Doc ain't the worst anchor in the world either. Worth checking out as a troll team at least.

I know Shulk has torpedo as an assist... I think her others are flash kick and clothesline? Oy. Don't know.

Yah those are both of her other assists. Clothesline sucks in comparison to her point version because it doesn't wallbounce in an air state and doesn't cause knockdown. It's good if you're able to hitconfirm it into crumple but lol no body does that in this game!

vg260

I think Hawkeye is his best friend. Damage isn't great unless you learn your UWT resets which are much stronger with this duo than any other imo. That said, Spidey gives Clint more than he can give any other character, which is great for what is essentially a built for point character. Very complimentary as long as you have 2bar and have reactions if Hawkeye is on point. Makes his space control that much more imposing.

Taskmaster is pretty good for him too. Unibeam as a get in/repulsor as an extender is great too, as is plasma beam/missiles.

Thanks. I feel like I'm a long ways off from playing anyone here, though. I'll have to give those guys a try. It's weird, but some characters i have no interest in playing just because the character doesn't appeal to me (Wesker, Zero). I like those enough though.

Azure J

Trying to level up my Phoenix a bit just because I remembered how much fun she is. I gotta wonder though, what sort of things should I focus on when I have a Phoenix on my team and what should I be doing with her on point? Fly - Fireball H - Teleport get ins?

I guess what I'm asking here for the sake of leveling her up is what aspects of the character should I be focusing on if I want to see myself getting better?

Also current post EVO teams:

Dante (Jam Session)/Amaterasu (Cold Shots)/Strider (Vajira)
Zero (Ryuenjin)/Dante (Jam Session)/Phoenix (TK Shot/Overdrive)
Vergil (Rapid Slash)/Doctor Doom (Hidden Missiles)/Morrigan (Dark Harmonizer/Shadow Blade)

Dormammu, Magneto and Felicia are on hold while I mess around with these setups some more. I feel like I should have 3 teams (as per the presets) that I enjoy and do well with that don't have any similarities in construction. Of course this all goes out the window once you realize I have Dante on two teams. :p

I'll let you all know what's up if I haven't backed out of these setups when another new mistress-- err team comes to mind. I'm a whore like that. :lol

This one was really easy. It's just Bionic Arm, Astral Vision, and then qcf.H, qcb.S, qcf.L, qcb.S, repeat. I could only do 4 loops before messing up. With some creativity, you could turn this into a Soul Drain setup a la Rocket Raccoon's trap. You can definitely Soul Drain off of this, but I didn't mess with it much. If you combined it with a good assist, I bet you could land 2-3 Soul Drains.

Trying to get Cuttin' Time to DHC well into Astral Vision and do the same thing.

I imagine anything that triggers the DHC Glitch like spinning state would lead to some shenanigans with an Astral Vision DHC. I feel like one of the strongest candidates for this though is Amaterasu just because a Veil of Mist slow before the DHC would make it easier to confirm more Soul Fists right after that. Unfounded theory mostly, but I'm wondering if it'd help any.

Dahbomb

I watched the Deadpool video again and I am now confused.... that definitely did way more damage after the Bolo shot than it should've. Looked like a damage scaling reset when he used Bolo plus Drones but I have no way to explain it.

In other news I just booked my ticket to the Dark Knight trilogy showing leading up to the TKDR release on midnight. I am so unbelievably hyped for it that there are no words.

In regards to the Deadpool video, needs testing of course (I can't now due to school) it looks like it might have been because the "Bolo'd" Deadpool landed on Drones which seemed to do unscaled damage (complete reset?), the next Bolo in the combo hit after X-23's OTG hit and nothing after did unscaled damage. Just from what it looks like it seems like hitting the "Bolo'd" opponent is the key in this combo. In case that doesn't make sense by "Bolo'd" I mean when the opponent is caught in the trap caused by the Bolo.

Does Bolo cause a set type of recovery? Actually it may have more to do with it pulling the opponent straight down without being a direct strike (trying to draw comparisons to Spencer's UWG).

Dahbomb

Hitting characters out of captured states with an assist resets damage scaling?

I wonder if this technology can be applied to Magneto's Hyper Grav along with Hawkeye.

Hitting characters out of captured states with an assist resets damage scaling?

I wonder if this technology can be applied to Magneto's Hyper Grav along with Hawkeye.

Possibly, something worth testing for sure. However unless Spencer's other grapples reel in differently for the punch, or if they maybe even release the opponent before the hit, it might have more to do with vertical captures (if that makes sense).

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
In other news I just booked my ticket to the Dark Knight trilogy showing leading up to the TKDR release on midnight. I am so unbelievably hyped for it that there are no words.

THAT'S NOT MAHVEL!!

jk, I'm super hyped for the movie as well. Don't think I could watch two movies back-to-back before watching TDKR though. Maybe I'll rewatch my Blu-ray of The Dark Knight at some point this week though.

Azure J

Just wondering, is it just me or do different characters fall to the ground differently after Clay Pigeon (Up Shots) from Dante? It's like I know a few characters have some mass inconsistencies versus the rest of the cast with Iron Man falling faster than most others, but something about trying to do shot loops in practice made me realize this. Why is Taskmaster the easiest guy to keep looping but Dr. Strange the most awkward thing ever? Why do She Hulk & Storm seem to drop by the 2nd rep? It's so weird.

Just wondering, is it just me or do different characters fall to the ground differently after Clay Pigeon (Up Shots) from Dante? It's like I know a few characters have some mass inconsistencies versus the rest of the cast with Iron Man falling faster than most others, but something about trying to do shot loops in practice made me realize this. Why is Taskmaster the easiest guy to keep looping but Dr. Strange the most awkward thing ever? Why do She Hulk & Storm seem to drop by the 2nd rep? It's so weird.
I believe this is well known. When Acid Rain loops were the shit in Vanilla, I recall Tron being able to eat like 5 loops before dropping.

So during capture attacks call assists to reset the hitstun and damage scaling? If that is true, then Hawkeye/RR/Magneto's damage all went up. Any other characters that can capture an opponent?

Azure J

I believe this is well known. When Acid Rain loops were the shit in Vanilla, I recall Tron being able to eat like 5 loops before dropping.

Ah OK, glad to see I'm not going insane. :lol

But damn, just when I was happy with a solo Dante BnB (560K without meter/750K with and it builds a good bit over 1.5 meters?) with a few shot loops instead of scaling things to hell and back with the current combo that has Cold Shower and Prop Shredder in there. :/

Edit: This capture tech makes me wonder what a Dante Grapple + Vajira call could do. LAB TIME! :D
Edit 2: OMG OMG IT WORKS
Edit 3: Scratch that. I read capture attack as something similar to Wire Grapples and not stuff like Hyper Grav and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom