• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Yeah that tech seemed the craziest to me, no way something that huge would've been kept under wraps before EVO without some more people hearing about it. Then again if someone like RogueYoshi discovered who knows how long he is willing to keep it under wraps. He knew the Tron infinite in Ultimate for a long ass time before finally unveiling it.

So I call BS on it until I see more proof.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I spent the past few hours messing around in mission/training mode. I got to the point where I had a combo or two memorized for each character so I felt pretty good about myself and decided to jump into arcade mode.

Damn, you can hardly apply half of the stuff you practice in training mode during a fight. I can barely move around the stage without extreme difficulty lol.

I've been playing with X-23/Dante/Morrigan. Do you guys think that's a good team? I like the way they play and their combos make sense to me so I figured I would toss them together on a team.

Azure J

I spent the past few hours messing around in mission/training mode. I got to the point where I had a combo or two memorized for each character so I felt pretty good about myself and decided to jump into arcade mode.

Damn, you can hardly apply half of the stuff you practice in training mode during a fight. I can barely move around the stage without extreme difficulty lol.

I've been playing with X-23/Dante/Morrigan. Do you guys think that's a good team? I like the way they play and their combos make sense to me so I figured I would toss them together on a team.

If you put Morrigan at the front and X-23 2nd with anchor Dante on Jam Session, this is basically team "we don't let you get to play the game."

A page or so late but from reading fubarduck's tweets regarding what the Japanese EVO players are saying, it makes me really happy that they are more determined to beat the US rather than disheartened. I want this to be a strong international game just like SF4. Gives us more hope for updates/sequels!

It will be interesting to see if US players will be as dominant at SBO now that Japan has a taste for our tech and playstyles, in addition to US players being on foreign soil.

smurfx

get some go again
If you put Morrigan at the front and X-23 2nd with anchor Dante on Jam Session, this is basically team "we don't let you get to play the game."
morrigans bullet hell isn't all that good without doom missiles. it would probably be better to put dante at point and x23 second and morrigan last. have morrigan feed you meter so when you are down to x23 you can use a bunch of level 3's.

morrigans bullet hell isn't all that good without doom missiles. it would probably be better to put dante at point and x23 second and morrigan last. have morrigan feed you meter so when you are down to x23 you can use a bunch of level 3's.

Pretty sure Morrigan is on point to glitch TAC in that team though

...I really don't get why it took so long for this to get discovered.
Everyone is always chicken blocking Wolverine; how many people even go for ground throws with him? The instant overhead is so much more appealing if you're in Berserker Charge.

Like I said, spend most of your time just getting a feel for the characters. Instead of fighting in arcade mode, IMO play in training mode with the AI set to medium difficulty. Keep life regen on, and you can just take things at your own pace without fear of consequences.

First, a shameless self-plug that might help you out:
http://tinyurl.com/8x865ra

Now, me throw some thoughts at you:
1) Morrigan is not a great anchor, and having her last means that your point character has no assist support.

2) Putting X-23 behind Dante means that once Dante dies, X-23 has no assist support, which is definitely bad for her.

3) X-23 and Dante are monsters as anchors, especially X-23.

4) Dante is your only good assist, so you don't want to risk him getting demolished at the start.

So, I would look at one of the following team orders:
Morrigan/Dante/X-23
X-23/Morrigan/Dante
Morrigan/X-23/Dante

I think any of these can work, and most of it can be solved by figuring out who you want to anchor. Personally, I would go with the first team setup, because X-23 can wipe out entire teams by herself with 5 bars and XF3.

Most people recommend going with the Dark Harmonizer assist for Morrigan, and this is normally my own recommendation. However, if you put Morrigan on Shadow Blade assist, your THC with Dante lets Morrigan use Soul Drain 2-3 times before Million Dollars is done. It's a really nasty combination that I can't say enough good things about.

X-23's assist should be her low hitting assist for unblockables.

Dante can be on Jam Session or Weasel Shot. I think there are good arguments for both of these.

The problem with anchor Morrigan is that she is not at all good at making XF3 comebacks. She's like the inverse of Wesker: you know EXACTLY what she's going to do, and it's an aerial attack. Plus, XF3 X-23 is a monster.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Learning Marvel and want to use Spider-man (Yes I am a Mame Spider D rider) Do any Assist besides hidden Missiles OTG from full screen?

Should mention that I am currently practicing on Vanilla until I pick up Ultimate which I have been boycotting since I found out Cyclops wasn't in.

Learning Marvel and want to use Spider-man (Yes I am a Mame Spider D rider) Do any Assist besides hidden Missiles OTG from full screen?

Should mention that I am currently practicing on Vanilla until I pick up Ultimate which I have been boycotting since I found out Cyclops wasn't in.
Mystic Ray.

DR2K

Banned
DR2K
Doesn't buy fighting games to actually play them
(Today, 10:39 PM)

Still waiting on this Jill tech that warranted her hitbox nerfs.

It's the ultimate taunt though, 3 meters so your opponent can hit you with whatever for 10 seconds? Awesome.

Dahbomb

I think Jill got some secret buffs too. At least I read about them from some Jill players. Something about the command throw and frame advantage on MSG. Plus her nerfs weren't even that big of a deal, she is more or less exactly where she was in Vanilla.

How'd you get that tag anyway, DR2K?

I think I might be the only person in this thread who has played against him. He's even on my friends list, last I checked.

I assumed you knew something since you seem to think her level 3 is worth meter.
Last I checked she has an infinite.

GorillaJu

I played the game a little bit in vanilla and haven't touched it for a long time. After EVO decided I can't miss out anymore and I want to start from scratch with a new team...

All I know is that I want to play Vergil, and beyond that, I don't really care. Morrigan is enticing, but no real attachment there.

What kind of assist characters should I be looking for to go with Vergil? The only character I won't play is Phoenix.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I played the game a little bit in vanilla and haven't touched it for a long time. After EVO decided I can't miss out anymore and I want to start from scratch with a new team...

All I know is that I want to play Vergil, and beyond that, I don't really care. Morrigan is enticing, but no real attachment there.

What kind of assist characters should I be looking for to go with Vergil? The only character I won't play is Phoenix.

Magneto/Doom/Ammy/Dante/Wesker/Captain America/Hulk/Ironman/Storm/Spencer?/Sentinel/Nova

Does it work outside of training mode?
Of course it does, you can start it up off a blocked hit as well.

It depends on what role you want Vergil to play. He loves an OTG assist and a horizontal projectile to let him combo off of teleports.

Dahbomb

Fast horizontal projectile assist is the best type of assist for Vergil. Disuptor (Magneto) and Greyhound (Hawkeye) assist rank the highest for Vergil with Unibeam (Iron Man), Taskmaster arrows and Arthur's Daggers ranking in next. Most other horizontal assists work too like Plasma Beam (Doom), Strange's Bolts, Shopping Cart (Frank West), Tatsu (Akuma), Weasel Shot (Dante), Low Voltage (Trish) etc.

If you want to play a Vergil on point team it's best to invest in an OTG assist too for high damaging BnBs that can be converted from most any type of hit including his very feared Helm Breaker.

I don't recommend Ammy with Vergil, he wants full screen coverage with an assist and Cold Shot is really for characters who have great high/low mix ups.

Thanks. Might go with Ammy and one more then. Probably needs an OTG assist?
There are options outside of the OTG assist. Basically, you want something to make sure that Helm Breaker (j.d+H) leads to full combos, since it's one of his better tools. Otherwise you have to burn X-Factor for a full combo or go straight into hyper. That can work, but it's not ideal if you want a "Vergil team".

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Wow I feel retarded because I forgot about the two arrow users and arthurs daggers... extra retarded because I use task and arthur -.-/

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
man there is no justice like marvel justice. guy caught me in a happy birthday and killed task and hawkeye and taunted when he did. well i ocv'd his team with haggar and it was glorious. guy was using spencer/dante/wesker too so it wasn't easy.

edit: omg same thing just happened except i ocv's his team with hawkeye. gotta be careful with my assist calls. -_-

I just experienced some marvel justice too. Felt so good.

Was practicing my Nova team a few hours ago in player matches and I played some X-23 player. Dude beats me pretty bad then decides to teabag and taunt and leave after only 1 game. I thought to myself "damn I'm just trying to practice a team here". So just now I ran into this guy again and I decided to use my Hawkeye team against him. I zoned the hell out of him and it ended with him rage quitting, felt oh so good.

Looked this guy up, I'm guessing he does this a lot.

http://youtu.be/TkXh9DLOwp0?t=1m55s

Solune

Already been answered but Doom and Spencer (My team =) ) But yah most OTGs are good but ones that let you get an extra roundtrip loop are preferred (Wesker, Felicia, Shuma) there's alot to name.

I'd go above and beyond and say Dante though. X-Copying Yipes team with Vergil on point is not a bad idea.

For the moment as I'm dicking around.

Cap/Task/Sent

Felicia/Task/Arthur
Cool. I'll be on earlier in the day. I'll be looking at combinations that let me use Morrigan first or second while keeping Dormammu on the team.

Current candidates:
Spencer
Rocket Raccoon
Amaterasu

Spencer would be the clear choice, but none of his assists seem good for Morrigan.

I wanna see somebody start rocking a phoenix wright or MODOK team sometime. Fun stuff.
Slasher here is a Wright main.

I've also considered Wright as my third for the Morrigan team. His assist is a really great fit for her and Dormammu. Anchor Wright in turnabout mode is a monster, too.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone is always chicken blocking Wolverine; how many people even go for ground throws with him? The instant overhead is so much more appealing if you're in Berserker Charge.

Like I said, spend most of your time just getting a feel for the characters. Instead of fighting in arcade mode, IMO play in training mode with the AI set to medium difficulty. Keep life regen on, and you can just take things at your own pace without fear of consequences.

First, a shameless self-plug that might help you out:
http://tinyurl.com/8x865ra

Now, me throw some thoughts at you:
1) Morrigan is not a great anchor, and having her last means that your point character has no assist support.

2) Putting X-23 behind Dante means that once Dante dies, X-23 has no assist support, which is definitely bad for her.

3) X-23 and Dante are monsters as anchors, especially X-23.

4) Dante is your only good assist, so you don't want to risk him getting demolished at the start.

So, I would look at one of the following team orders:
Morrigan/Dante/X-23
X-23/Morrigan/Dante
Morrigan/X-23/Dante

I think any of these can work, and most of it can be solved by figuring out who you want to anchor. Personally, I would go with the first team setup, because X-23 can wipe out entire teams by herself with 5 bars and XF3.

Most people recommend going with the Dark Harmonizer assist for Morrigan, and this is normally my own recommendation. However, if you put Morrigan on Shadow Blade assist, your THC with Dante lets Morrigan use Soul Drain 2-3 times before Million Dollars is done. It's a really nasty combination that I can't say enough good things about.

X-23's assist should be her low hitting assist for unblockables.

Dante can be on Jam Session or Weasel Shot. I think there are good arguments for both of these.

The problem with anchor Morrigan is that she is not at all good at making XF3 comebacks. She's like the inverse of Wesker: you know EXACTLY what she's going to do, and it's an aerial attack. Plus, XF3 X-23 is a monster.

First of all thanks for taking the time to type all that out, and secondly thanks for that link. All this talk of assist synergy and anchors was flying over my head because I have absolutely no clue what the metagame is for UMvC3, and that link looks like it has all the answers I seek. I will spend my downtime at work today going through it.

I see, so you suggest Morrigan/Dante/X-23. I understand your arguments for that setup, and like I said I can always experiment and change things around; none of this is set in stone. It seems like Morrigan is the weakest person in this team, should I consider switching her out for someone else? I put her in because I like the way she plays, but if she's bad I can always switch her out for someone else.

Bizazedo

Hrm.

So, been toying with Danter for two days now and starting to fear that the muscles in my hands won't allow me to bold cancel reliably. This was a sad realization last night. I could do it, mostly going to the right, but going to the left of the screen has always been weaker for me. Dunny why, going to blame the Muscular Dystrophy lol.

Sooooooooo....

The team is obviously better as a team with Dante than Wesker. Zero's always been frightening, but hitting 920,800 damage without doing a lightning loop with only one meter is all sorts of broken hilariousness. He even works decently with Nova.

If I get down to Dante, though..hrm.

So, alternatives. First question. What's the most damaging combos one can do without bold cancelling for Dante? Or should I just say screw it and move on?

Also considering Vergil and Spencer, but unsure which'd help best with the neutral game if I do abandon Dante.

Also, sup Odd Morsel :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom