• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

So you've done a 180 from when you said Iron Man is a bad anchor then?
I said that IM CAN be played as an anchor... didn't comment on whether he's good or bad.

He is not that good at anchor but playable. I prefer 2nd spot for him now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
man, when i come back to online mvc3, you guys are so dead, i don't even know where to start. i just-- i don't even.

play soulcalibur. it's a good game
If I end up getting a free game from this online Canadian ponzi scheme in a few days, it will most definitely be Soul Calibur V. I actually considered SFxT despite how much I hate on it's mechanics and pre-order nonsense.. but the soul is burning right now. I'm watching the GiantBomb Quick Look right now and zomgsogood.

Sloosha

For Doom players, what combo do you use if you catch an opponent in the air with J.m?

Waiting for my SCV copy to arrive in the mail. No Mary Poppins Setsuka made me sad.

Grecco

For Doom players, what combo do you use if you catch an opponent in the air with J.m?

Waiting for my SCV copy to arrive in the mail. No Mary Poppins Setsuka made me sad.

go with the air foot dive and into basic brain dead foot dive foot dive combo everbody does.

Iron Man IS that swag in this game. Just, a difficult to play kind of swag. Iron Man swag combos are fantastic to watch.

True enough, I just miss the one man army he used to be with stupid guard breaks.

Definitely gonna run an Avengers team back though.

Can somebody help me improve this reset? I've been working on it for the past week or so, and I know I'm missing something.

Dormammu:

2L2HS, jMMHS, dash forward, Flame Carpet + A1(Slant Shot), Dark Matter xx Stalking Flare, Teleport M

So the idea is that the wallbounce from Dark matter gives me enough time to throw out a Stalking Flare and teleport before it hits, forcing the opponent to block a crossup in standing position, followed by a tridash mixup if they block correctly, followed by another teleport + EMD assist mixup if they block both of them correctly.

The problem is that it only works at more than half screen distance, too close to the corner and the Stalking Flare either hits or there isn't enough time to follow up with a teleport. So far my best solution is to delay the teleport mixup on incoming characters so that EMD doesn't push them under me back into the corner after Teleport M. That way I have the whole stage to work with. The problem is that it's too situational, and I need help finding more ways to set it up. I have other resets with Slant Shot, but they need to be close to the corner to do significant starting damage.

So basically right now I have an amazing full screen reset and some pretty good corner resets, but nothing reliable at the in between distances.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
True enough, I just miss the one man army he used to be with stupid guard breaks.

Definitely gonna run an Avengers team back though.
Every single time I pick Thor in hope of completing my Avengers Team, he just won't stick. I swear, I give him another shot every other time I play the game in the hopes I'll like him but nope.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I was going to say my team WAS an Avenger team but I realized it still is lol.

Enzo I think something like Cap/Hulk/IronMan could work. Though you would need to pick Iron Man for that. Don't want to handicap yourself now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I was going to say my team WAS an Avenger team but I realized it still is lol.

Enzo I think something like Cap/Hulk/IronMan could work. Though you would need to pick Iron Man for that. Don't want to handicap yourself now.
You could always pick Skrull. He can shapesift, so he can fill any role!
I used to play Skrull in Vanilla, Dorm/Iron Man/Skrull, switching Skrull for Hulk when I wanted to turn up the troll factor. I think they're all pretty fun to play.

If I was to make Cap/Hulk/Iron Man work, wouldn't Hulk/Iron Man/Cap be a better order? I'm wary of leaving Hulk or Iron Man for last really
bad experiences being blown up with Iron man anchor. If you've got to my Iron Man on anchor, I've pretty much lost already.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
LN5qM.jpg

So god like. So so Thor-like

Anyways..

The order I listed was pretty much my Vanilla team. The logic behind putting IM last was that Unibeam was a good enough assist to cover my to other two on their own. Hulk was second so I can use his GTFO assist. Once Ultimate came out I just had to pray that I my first two characters put in work and I didn't need to use Iron Man as anchor.

I still think Unibeam is more valuable at supporting 2 characters then having to switch the order around like that for those specific characters. I don't see how IM using a Cap assist would make IM any better and I doubt Cap is a good anchor himself.

Or you can take out IM and use Hawkeye. That's what I did!

Tobe

Just got back from next level and words cant even begin to describe the beating i got from chris g. A whooping 35-0 maybe i couldve gotten maybe 3 games but the difference was as clear as water.

Chris's understanding of the engine if really good. Solid reactions, good reads and godlike OS setups. I adapted to a few things but couldnt really do much. Like i said there wa too much difference. Man i would love to stay here and grind out for a month.

It seems the further along in ranked I go, the more people ragequit/ragemail. I would stick to player matches but it can never find anybody. Are there still GAF lobbies on XBL? It seems like everyone here plays on PSN.

Also I think I am the only person who plays Tron.

It seems the further along in ranked I go, the more people ragequit/ragemail. I would stick to player matches but it can never find anybody. Are there still GAF lobbies on XBL? It seems like everyone here plays on PSN.

I joined a lobby for the first time in over two months and it became an eight player lobby within ten minutes. There are still quite a few people on the 360 side. Also, you are the only Tron player left.

ILL Virtue

Neo Member

Add me to the list of new mahvel gaffers! Been lurkin for a while now... And I am one of the few that still use Tron. :-( Usually run

QYTrV.jpg
Uq3iM.jpg
Wcz7B.jpg

or

ZGwk9.jpg
Q0Mey.jpg
1KfBa.jpg

JeTmAn81

Regarding earlier discussion of the term "neutral game", the meaning of this was also fairly unclear to me until recently. However, I feel I understand why that term exists now, and it's to describe situations like these from this past week's Big Two:

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/b/307260894#

Starting at 3:14:04, there's a full minute of neutral game maneuvering between Chris G and Noel Brown. First between Wesker and Frank West, later between Wesker and Wesker. Lots of gunshots, dash-ins, dash-outs, assist calls, and empty jumps. Spacing is at a premium. Nobody wants to give anybody the edge. I think the situation is mostly causedby a shift to a defensive posture by Noel after Chris takes out his Wolverine early on. But it's pretty cool to watch these guys space each other out so precisely while circling for an opening.

Dahbomb

Yeah that's pretty much it.

By the way Dante vs Vergil match up is some intense shit. The entire match is played at full screen away and as soon as someone fucks up the other dies.

Just got this on VITA yesterday and really like it. Some of the controls take a bit of getting used to and the Japanese isnt helping but i really like it.

So far im using Hawkeye, Sentinel and Dante. Fun team. Really like Hawkeye so far.

Phoenix Right is such a bad character i really cant work out what any of his moves are for. Havent unlocked everyone yet as it takes a while to go from an arcade stick on the 360 to the dpad on the Vita.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Characters are locked in the vita version? Which ones? Is crossplatform play still in there? I remember that being one of the more interesting features Capcom was touting.

mr. puppy

Banned
whatever happened to all of the talk about Vergil being able to lock people down? I remember somebody discussing it here, like somebody claimed to be making a video or something, but maybe I missed the result?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Had to defend my honor at a friend's house after the game...on PS3. How the hell do you all use the PS3 controller? My hands cried out for the Dualshock 2.

Dahbomb

whatever happened to all of the talk about Vergil being able to lock people down? I remember somebody discussing it here, like somebody claimed to be making a video or something, but maybe I missed the result?
It already happened. It involves the Round Trip "trick" (or glitch whatever you want to call it) plus choice assist. On paper Vergil currently has the most devastating set of block strings/pressure in the game only surpassed by Viper. There was some showcase of this at Frosty Fausting IV by Kerahime who used Vergil with Doom Missiles. The players fighting against him would constantly jump around to avoid lock downs. Vergil's Spiral Swords also augment his lock down greatly and Blistering Sword as well if you basically want to lock them down for the entirety of their HP. A single Round Trip does very good chip, imagine having to block multiple of them... low health characters can't survive too long they have to make something happen.

I am currently messing with this using Akuma Tatsu and IM's Repulsor Blast. I don't have the timing of the trick down yet but it's doable and leads into nasty unavoidable chip and pressure.

Frantic

By the way Dante vs Vergil match up is some intense shit. The entire match is played at full screen away and as soon as someone fucks up the other dies.
I find the Dante vs Vergil matchup to be pretty interesting. If it's just solo Dante vs solo Vergil, it's like straight out of DMC3. It's a pretty fun matchup(if the Vergil is actually good, anyways).

On a semi-related note. Shades of vanilla Dante here. I'm 99% certain that if meter build was the same as it was in vanilla, this combo would build five bars from none. Sky Dance > Beehive just builds a LOT of meter, even in this game. It's also only possible with the Rekkas removed, so... Thanks, Capcom! :D

Yeah, that one. I want to see it. Supposedly a non character specific low execution combo that gives Dante TOD potential outside of using his acid rain combo which is character specific.

ReiGun

Aww isn't that precious? Black Widow thinks she and her little pistol are gonna be helpful.

I've come to the conclusion that I can play Cap and Strange, but not together. Their assists don't help each other that much, and I feel that both of them (especially Strange) are better backed up by two proper assists. Last night, I was playing with a friend, and came up with Cap/Spencer/Hawkeye and Strange/Hawkeye/Dante. Both worked out pretty well, except my Dante and Spencer are terribad. lol

Also, fuck Iron Fist is fun. So much fun. I suck at straight rush characters like him, but fuck he's fun.

JeTmAn81

Here's one I found which uses Felicia, but I bet it'd work with Wesker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJkqMGzbCk4

Haven't seen Revolver used to set up Grapple before. I was actually trying to do the Grapple thing out of a Stinger into wallbounce, but I don't seem to have the timing right. It requires a bold cancel, but if I just do it right away, the Grapple comes out way too early.

JeTmAn81

Pretty good actually, since everyone snaps in Wesker or blows XF to kill her

That seems a curious strategy. Any character in the game can kill Phoenix with a single combo off one touch, and if you're running him second Wesker would come in without the need for a snapback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom