• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

I wanna see somebody start rocking a phoenix wright or MODOK team sometime. Fun stuff.

Anytime Shaowebb. Add me on PSN. I actually think Iron Fist is one of the few characters that Wright has a good advantage on. Iron fist is so grounded and Wright's biggest problems are teleports, good air to land based characters and projectile spammers. I think it would be really hard for Iron Fist to get in on me with Maya Shield and Hulk Anti Air. Iron fist would need some solid coverage to make his move. Who do you use with him mainly?

Arthur (Daggers) and Taskmaster (H Shot)

I generally try to shuffle Arthur to the back as having him as a gold armored dagger assist aids Iron Fist a ton, but regular dagger assist is pretty swank too for Iron Fist so I've been rolling Tasky on Point and just leaving Arthur on anchor from the get go and leaving Gold mode alone rather than relying on it for everything.

Mainly Iron Fist is rocking Rising Fang assist created rough zoning on folks. Like really rough. Then I swith out to Iron Fist to close combos via TAC and the sudden switch to dealing with corner pressure Iron Fist rushdown from the zoning game tends to mess with people as I fish for throws between block string stuff to lead into full combos. I keep dropping stuff and if I get twitchy I keep popping off a jump cancel at the wrong time and eating attacks though. Still the daggers let me wave dash inside them straight up to people letting me go through most keep away attempts and letting me get that pressure started to use Iron Fist properly.

This sounds better than I am at it though lol. Most effective thing about the team is rising fang assist from Iron Fist on a pure zoning strategy. It is frustrating and it leads to full combos if they actually eat the hit from Rising Fang as it wall bounces and Taskmaster can convert that EASY from about anywhere.

Sad thing is I'm 360 only.

Dahbomb

Tragic posted about the tech in more detail and cleared up some info. RY = RogueYoshi
Tragic said:
This wasn't just discovered. It was actually discovered long ago by RY's friend (who played Spiderman/Hulk). He noticed one of his combos did a ton more, and showed RY, who then brought it to me to help research (hence, why he made the video). He also didn't try to keep it under wraps. He brought it up on IRC and we tried all sorts of variants. We tested this (in Vanilla) with a variety of other capture states as well (Trish Trap, Hyper Grav, etc). What we noticed is that it was very finicky (though that may have changed with Vanilla - we never went back to test after DHC glitch was fixed).

Interestingly enough, with the Deadpool video, it looks as if very specific variants of the capture trick still work (we always assumed you needed a capture type Super in order to trigger it with a DHC). You can easily test the Spiderman/Hulk combo and see if that variant works as well. During our own testing, we found that some captures wouldn't even trigger the DHC trick (like Spiderman's) but obviously it did work in some cases as seen in the Hulk/Spiderman combo. This was also the case with bounce resets - something that Magus first noticed very early on in Vanilla (and still exists in Ultimate).

Hopefully we can nail down the specifics to a science. There may be some captures that are very lenient and some that are much more strict. Definitely could increase the usefulness of some characters (such as Deadpool). I look forward to seeing what the test results bring back. Marvel is too crazy!

The Deadpool bolo video earlier did this, and ReyRey confirmed that Hawkeye and Deadpool point can do it.

It comes to say that Spidey should still be able to do it.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I'm not used to playing online yet as you can tell by me never finishing a single real combo. Shout out to lag spikes mid air XD
Yeah I did notice the spikes. Much better than last time though.
Heading to Universe B for the next little while, just shoot me an invite, friend invite, or msg if ya wanna play.

PSN is Killasasa

Sent an invite. I think I played you like only once before in a lobby so I look forward to this.

I'm gonna have to read move about this glitch but it sounds interesting. Makes me excited to learn a good bolo bnb with deadpool for my new team (task/deadpool/hawkeye)

smurfx

get some go again
alright i think my haggar and hawk aren't average anymore and might be slightly above average now. there are many things i need to work on but i'm feeling much more confident when i use either of them on point.

Bizazedo

Hopefully, the capture state thing is limited in use. Although, underutilized characters I'd be slightly better with.

Oh, and Nova / Vergil is monstrous.

SmokeMaxX

Show me and I will believe you.

Pretty much only his slide and launcher are unsafe. Demon Missile M is also unsafe, but no one really does it without assists. s.H is +1 on block and s.L is +6. Dive kick is +11 and Bon Voyage is +10 from the air. Fireballs are -1. Ground Bon Voyage is -30.

Basically, if Firebrand is in the air, everything is safe. If he's on the ground, punish a raw launcher or Bon Voyage.

You don't believe you can do drones twice in one combo? You either have to start hitting the opponent once Sent leaves the screen or start hitting the opponent with your point character once Sent leaves the screen, but you can have the drones hit once and then you'll see "Assist OK!" for Sentinel even though the drones were used earlier. If you really want me to, I can record it on my camera and upload it to Youtube. I just figured it was well known.

I don't think I win anymore. I've come to the conclusion that my team isn't cheap enough. I spent what felt like ages with Joe and Frank just taking off half of a Spencer's health...then he hits me once and kills Joe from nearly 80% health.

I might be done with this game soon.

Solune

Has anyone actually done this to show it still works in Ultimate?
I tried it, it definitely works (Hulk/Spiderman). The tech has already been posted but I thought it might be related to the "Combo Counter" glitch that was discovered along time ago but it seems it's unique.
You don't believe you can do drones twice in one combo? You either have to start hitting the opponent once Sent leaves the screen or start hitting the opponent with your point character once Sent leaves the screen, but you can have the drones hit once and then you'll see "Assist OK!" for Sentinel even though the drones were used earlier. If you really want me to, I can record it on my camera and upload it to Youtube. I just figured it was well known.

Also happens with Missiles too.

Sigmaah

If anyone ever wants to play on 360, add me, I'm down to play whenever I'm on.

GT is Sigmaah

I Would love to play some gaffers!

I've never seen it, nor heard of it, and assists, as a rule, can only be called once per combo. So yes, I'm skeptical and would like to see proof. If you'd record it, I would be grateful.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
GGs Sasa! God damn that Spider-man lol.

It's too bad the connection got bad it was just getting good. I really wanted to try my zoning team vs. your Spidey team from the start.

Best part was my genius plan to stop Dirt Nap by using Gimlet... and it worked! It was too funny.

I don't think I win anymore. I've come to the conclusion that my team isn't cheap enough. I spent what felt like ages with Joe and Frank just taking off half of a Spencer's health...then he hits me once and kills Joe from nearly 80% health.

I might be done with this game soon.

Aww come on Beef. You at least have other teams. Whenever I get bored with/start hating one of my teams I just play another one. Or start messing around with characters and making a new one.

GGs Panda, Hawkeye Strider looks mad fun. Pretty BnB too.
That Gimlet was funny, arrow right to the face hahahaha.

--
Got you added, Karst.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I don't know why but I fell for Hawkeye slide -> Crossup Command jump into ice shot every single time. Kinda dumb on my part since I also use that mixup all the time.

Aww come on Beef. You at least have other teams. Whenever I get bored with/start hating one of my teams I just play another one. Or start messing around with characters and making a new one.

I HAVE used other characters. I've gone through everyone's mission mode stuff to see if there was anyone else that I'd like, and the only other characters I like don't do well with the characters I know how to play.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I HAVE used other characters. I've gone through everyone's mission mode stuff to see if there was anyone else that I'd like, and the only other characters I like don't do well with the characters I know how to play.

That's the thing with this game even if you dont like your whole team playing 3 characters you like that dont work together is a death wish. I'd say suck it up learn someone you dont really like for synergy and have fun with the other two

That's the thing with this game even if you dont like your whole team playing 3 characters you like that dont work together is a death wish. I'd say suck it up learn someone you dont really like for synergy and have fun with the other two

That's exactly what I did when I was using Raccoon. :lol

Grecco

Yeah one of the first teams i tried was Captain America/Taskmaser/Deadpool i think in vanilla. That was my day one vanilla team cause i love Taskmaster and Cap had the Punisher alt costume and i love punisher

terrible idea

Basically pick 2 characters you like and one good assist

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Well you have team armor, use that. That team can definitely kill Spencer and do it quick. Tae a break from one team and use another, that's what I meant.

This too. When I did it I ended up liking the character. It was my Thor/Hulk/Iron Man team I did this with. IM was crap so I chose Hawkeye. I now have a team built around Hawkeye I like the character so much.

Well you have team armor, use that. That team can definitely kill Spencer and do it quick. Tae a break from one team and use another, that's what I meant.

This too. When I did it I ended up liking the character. It was my Thor/Hulk/Iron Man team I did this with. IM was crap so I chose Hawkeye. I now have a team built around Hawkeye I like the character so much.

I only pick Team Armor to troll. I don't actually like using any of those characters.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So what's a good way to practice/improve for a complete beginner? I have basic combos down for my three characters (with launches and hypers and all that jazz), but I get confused in fights and find it hard to keep my bearings. Should I just run through arcade mode until I get the hang of things?

RubeksNube

Neo Member
I finally got in here.

i think synergy can be found from alot of teams and assists and orders that people don't know about. you need to understand your characters and their assists and get a clear idea of your gameplan and how to implement it. most people will give you advice from their personal experience of what works with what and what doesn't but team building is really like soul searching, in that it will take alot of time and trial and error. And you always have the option of copying a well established team and tweaking things too. i believe most teams in this game can be viable if organized right.

So what's a good way to practice/improve for a complete beginner? I have basic combos down for my three characters (with launches and hypers and all that jazz), but I get confused in fights and find it hard to keep my bearings. Should I just run through arcade mode until I get the hang of things?

Practice calling and looking for assists. That tends to be the thing that confuses beginners because other games don't have them.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Practice calling and looking for assists. That tends to be the thing that confuses beginners because other games don't have them.

Yeah I've been trying to do that but I have absolutely no idea when to do which assist and how to incorporate assists into my combos. Very confusing.

Yeah I've been trying to do that but I have absolutely no idea when to do which assist and how to incorporate assists into my combos. Very confusing.

I wouldn't worry about using assists in combos yet, worry about using them to help you move around, and avoiding your opponent's assists.

Dahbomb

All Chirs G had to do was let Morrigan die and he would have won.
There is no guarantee about that win. If he let Morrigan die he would still have eaten an incoming mix up/meaty set up in which case he was just as likely to lose as FChamp was.

The best thing that ChrisG could've done was tried to save Morrigan was use Shadow Servant to avoid the chip on Sphere Flame instead of raw tagging. He could've done this at the very end after he messed up the raw tag too.

Kubo escape at that stage of the finals was way too risky, he could've fucked it up if he didn't have enough practice with it. Plus even if he got Doom to whiff his hyper he still would've eaten the welcome mix up. If that was what he actually attempted then he fucked it up big time although it was a good idea in theory.

Wow, obvious comment, but the gimmicks you can get away with when people don't know how to fight your character...LOL.

On a related note, PSN is FAR saltier than Live. I got more tonight than I have since launch :lol awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom