• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I have never said this about any game I have ever played, but I have absolutely no idea how to move around in this game. Just getting from one side of the screen to the other without getting smacked around is supremely difficult.

You guys weren't lying when you said "steep learning curve."

DR2K

Banned
I have never said this about any game I have ever played, but I have absolutely no idea how to move around in this game. Just getting from one side of the screen to the other without getting smacked around is supremely difficult.

Block and hold c like your life depends on it.

Tirael

Wow, obvious comment, but the gimmicks you can get away with when people don't know how to fight your character...LOL.

Absolutely. That's one of the reasons that good MODOK players are so terrifying to fight. MODOK's high/low game is quite good, even moreso if you don't know what to look for.

Nope this is how you lose. Dick riding what's "hawt" instead of learning of all the things that could work best with your characters.

But I don't think Nova is a character that everyone should be- OHHHHHHH

The learning curve may be steep, but it's LESS steep than most other fighting games out there, except maybe Soul Calibur. Trust me, most other games are harder. Just stick with it, and you'll eventually get a better feel for the game in general, and that's really all you can do. You're not going to become a master in a day, you just need to put some time in.

Though to be fair, many players get a EUREKA! moment from time to time that tremendously helps their gameplan. You just gotta see the right thing.

Dahbomb

IMO this is the curve that you have to get over when playing Marvel. You HAVE to learn how to pilot your character and with someone like Morrigan it is rather difficult to get the grips of. It took over a year for Morrigan to start popping up in competitive play frequently because of her fly cancels, weird air dash trajectory and lack of a proper ground dash. It's not even about just getting from point A to point B but also being on your toes to avoid bad situations and avoid all the hit boxes on screen. It's what separates good players from bad ones.

Luckily for you Morrigan is a zoning type character and a lot of the time the other player has to be getting to you instead of you getting to them. Start filling up the screen with fireballs and learn the fly cancel (Fireball, fly, Fireball) to double your fireball output. Use Jam Session to keep opponents away as they try to get in. Even Dante is a zoner, he has all sorts of moves that are designed to controls pace and keep people out. X-23 on the other hand HAS to get in and she does have various mobility options to get in with including one of the fastest ground dashes in the game along with her Talon Dives. Also use her wall jump to get over projectiles, a lot of players miss that about her.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yeah if you want to play Morrigan like Chris G does (filling up the screen with fireballs) that's really hard to do, especially if you're trying to learn the game on top of it.

And I kinda don't recommend using Morrigan because of that.

Yeah if you want to play Morrigan like Chris G does (filling up the screen with fireballs) that's really hard to do, especially if you're trying to learn the game on top of it.

And I kinda don't recommend using Morrigan because of that.

but its so easy and chrisg is such a fraud just look at all those fraud wins he got by spamming soulfist what a scrub god give me more rushdown becuase my dick needs it

Beef maybe you could try a point Ryu team so when you use him as anchor you'll have a better understanding of the character.

I understand Ryu fine. I can never remember his longer combos, that's the problem. Same thing with Wesker. I just draw a blank as soon as I get a hit, when I know I should be going for optimal stuff.

SmokeMaxX

I've never seen it, nor heard of it, and assists, as a rule, can only be called once per combo. So yes, I'm skeptical and would like to see proof. If you'd record it, I would be grateful.

Took me a few hours to figure out how to transfer it off my phone, but I uploaded the video. Just did a basic Captain America combo to show off the drones twice. I believe there are other ways to get two of the same assists in one combo but it's been a while since I researched all this in training mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3owaRUUjF8&feature=plcp

Took me a few hours to figure out how to transfer it off my phone, but I uploaded the video. Just did a basic Captain America combo to show off the drones twice. I believe there are other ways to get two of the same assists in one combo but it's been a while since I researched all this in training mode.

cowboysmile5zb33.gif

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I understand Ryu fine. I can never remember his longer combos, that's the problem. Same thing with Wesker. I just draw a blank as soon as I get a hit, when I know I should be going for optimal stuff.
Actually now that I think about it optimal combos don't really matter if your character is going to be using level 3 Xfactor.

...I have a feeling that Frank West is holding me back. Which is a shame since I love using him.
You should find a way to either level him up earlier or change whatever you need to get him to level 4 off of one touch. What I notice about your team is that you don't really try and level up Frank until he's already out there. Like you usually wait until Joe dies before worrying about Frank. Which isn't good because you're trying to get a hit with level 1 Frank.

SmokeMaxX

I did not know this.

What in the fuck?

I take it that it's not that well known? Solune seemed to have seen it before and I asked one of my buddy's and he said it was "old news" when I thought I discovered something new in training mode a couple of weeks ago haha. I wish it were better quality. I think there are different things you can do with it if you mess around in training mode, but it's been so long since I discovered it that I don't remember when exactly you can do things. I do know that even if you don't use Sent twice in one combo, he's available almost immediately after he leaves the screen so if the opponent blocks Drones, you can pretty much just call Sent and have more drones on the screen. Super annoying to deal with especially if you have a ground character against Captain America with drones backing him up.

Sigmaah

What don't you like about Akuma's normals? I thought they're pretty bad/ have bad range.

Was playing my brother today and my god, I could clearly see that Akuma's fists/feet weren't touching me yet I was getting hit, same with Spencer too. Just normal broken hitboxes, nothing against Akuma or Spencer.

rexor0717

Akuma's hitboxes might as well be his actual feet and fists. He is incredibly stubby, which made me stop playing him. I just stick with Task and Nova (lololol).

shaowebb

For the record, I sent you an invite today, but I guess you didn't have time to play.

Not really. For the record I've been screwed to the computer all day making a CG car in maya for a crumple assignment I got for finals. Its why I've been around to catch all the Injustice : Gods Among Us announcements on Nightwing/Cyborg.

My wife was playing a ton of Warriors Orochi 2 upstairs though the past 2 days. I married well :)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ok random for fun top 5 list.

Who would you guys say would be the best 5 characters in the game if it was 1 v 1.

I'd say probably something like *in no order*

Ammy
Hawkeye
Zero
X-23
Dorm

*shrug*

Who would you guys say would be the best 5 characters in the game if it was 1 v 1.

Ammy
Hawkeye
Zero
X-23
Dorm

*shrug*
Ammy
Vergil
Dante
Akuma
Spencer

I'm not seeing X-23's top 5 influence in a 1v1. She is at her best on incoming opponents and backed by assists, not in a fair 1v1. She is pretty good in that scenario though.

Playing Karsticles a few weeks back showed me just how derp and retarded Spencer really is. Such a crazy good point character.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
IMO this is the curve that you have to get over when playing Marvel. You HAVE to learn how to pilot your character and with someone like Morrigan it is rather difficult to get the grips of. It took over a year for Morrigan to start popping up in competitive play frequently because of her fly cancels, weird air dash trajectory and lack of a proper ground dash. It's not even about just getting from point A to point B but also being on your toes to avoid bad situations and avoid all the hit boxes on screen. It's what separates good players from bad ones.

Luckily for you Morrigan is a zoning type character and a lot of the time the other player has to be getting to you instead of you getting to them. Start filling up the screen with fireballs and learn the fly cancel (Fireball, fly, Fireball) to double your fireball output. Use Jam Session to keep opponents away as they try to get in. Even Dante is a zoner, he has all sorts of moves that are designed to controls pace and keep people out. X-23 on the other hand HAS to get in and she does have various mobility options to get in with including one of the fastest ground dashes in the game along with her Talon Dives. Also use her wall jump to get over projectiles, a lot of players miss that about her.

Cool, thanks for the rundown. I'll try some of this stuff later today when I get a chance. I can do her fly cancels fine (although I had no idea they were called fly cancels; I just kinda started doing it on my own to add more fireballs to the screen). Never thought of using Jam Session as a keep away tactic though, that's ingenious.

And yeah, I feel like the movement rules for UMvC3 are so different than most other games. Even Super Smash, which arguably has a similar setup has more "normal" movement rules. It's almost like you're never supposed to hold the stick left/right to move, which is counterintuitive when every other game on the planet uses that setup to move around.

Bizazedo

The learning curve may be steep, but it's LESS steep than most other fighting games out there, except maybe Soul Calibur. Trust me, most other games are harder. Just stick with it, and you'll eventually get a better feel for the game in general, and that's really all you can do. You're not going to become a master in a day, you just need to put some time in.

Though to be fair, many players get a EUREKA! moment from time to time that tremendously helps their gameplan. You just gotta see the right thing.

Ehhhhh. It depends on the person. I know this fighting game took me far longer to "get" then SF or VF. I was bordering on quitting multiple times before I got it.

It might be easier if you've never played other fighters, if that makes sense?

But yeah, that Eureka moment is great once it hits.

Also, I am discouraged to see so many Dick Ryders. I preferred when my Nova was the only one I'd see for a looong time

Bizazedo

Do you guys mind listing some of your "Eureka moments"? I figure it may help me see some things that may not be clear to me right now.

Winning.

:).

Actually, the real one was successfully using assists other than Wesker OTG / performing a combo that used both assists and ended in a hyper or two.

And by combo I mean over 850k damage with two hypers. Looking back on it, I am almost ashamed I though 600k with one hyper was good, but at the time..

But seriously, winning. And what I mean by that is understanding why I won (or lost) and not just "lol random!" or "lolol wolverine 2 powerful".

Cept for Phoenix, fuck Phoenix.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
At some point during EVO one of the commentators mentioned some tech between X-23 and Nova that's supposedly very powerful. Anyone know what he was referring to?

Pro Morrigan tip: do not ever, ever use her ground dash. Pretend it does not exist. Every Morrigan player would be better off if it didn't. You always jump and then air dash with her, always. There are absolutely no exceptions.

Mind=blown. Have you put this on SRK? I popped a GFAQs thread about it.

I take it that it's not that well known? Solune seemed to have seen it before and I asked one of my buddy's and he said it was "old news" when I thought I discovered something new in training mode a couple of weeks ago haha. I wish it were better quality. I think there are different things you can do with it if you mess around in training mode, but it's been so long since I discovered it that I don't remember when exactly you can do things. I do know that even if you don't use Sent twice in one combo, he's available almost immediately after he leaves the screen so if the opponent blocks Drones, you can pretty much just call Sent and have more drones on the screen. Super annoying to deal with especially if you have a ground character against Captain America with drones backing him up.
By everyone's take here, I think it's new to most people. It's new to me, and I used Sentinel throughout Vanilla. Big discovery IMO, I've never seen anyone at a tournament use this, and Fanatiq could definitely make use of this. Thanks for taking the time to demonstrate.

Do you guys mind listing some of your "Eureka moments"? I figure it may help me see some things that may not be clear to me right now.
Most of my moments have been about discovering when to X-Factor properly, and the cool things I can do with it.

Hit boxes always extend a bit past the actual sprite.
Actually, some of Firebrand's hitboxes are smaller than the sprite. He has such terrible priority.

Ultimate Dante cries when reading this. He promptly remembers the good times in Vanilla and resigns himself to his fate.
Dante players crying about anything fills the rest of the internet with laughter. It reminds me of when Magneto players cried because Magneto's air dashes became visible to the human eye, and people still can't react to them.

Dahbomb

My first eureka moment with the game was when I was trying to figure out how to OTG follow up after combos. I never seemed to have enough time to follow up OTG after an aerial combo. And then I realized that I was doing the air sequence too fast and if I delayed the last two hits I would be closer to the ground before smacking them down.

Another eureka moment was when I realized that if you call an assist the moment you dash the assist will appear where your dash ends. Like wise if you call an assist before you dash then it would appear far behind you.

Another moment was when I was trying to figure out how to follow up after Akuma's air throws in Vanilla. I couldn't get the timing down on it... then I realized it's just way easier off of the back air throw.

During air combos, if you are mid screen you want to pull the stick up/forward to meet your opponent in the air combo. Near a corner, you want to go straight up to get all the hits in.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Dante players crying about anything fills the rest of the internet with laughter. It reminds me of when Magneto players cried because Magneto's air dashes became visible to the human eye, and people still can't react to them.

Ah yes. "Magneto is worthless now, how dare they take everything away from him. Those new moves are worthless."

Dahbomb

Magneto.... more like Fatneto amirite guyz?

Magneto gets his air dash, st.H and EMD nerfed.... goes on to win EVO. To be honest the air dash slowed down ended up being a buff because he can now squeeze in a j.L before landing when before it would be too fast.

My first eureka moment with the game was when I was trying to figure out how to OTG follow up after combos. I never seemed to have enough time to follow up OTG after an aerial combo. And then I realized that I was doing the air sequence too fast and if I delayed the last two hits I would be closer to the ground before smacking them down.

Another eureka moment was when I realized that if you call an assist the moment you dash the assist will appear where your dash ends. Like wise if you call an assist before you dash then it would appear far behind you.

Another moment was when I was trying to figure out how to follow up after Akuma's air throws in Vanilla. I couldn't get the timing down on it... then I realized it's just way easier off of the back air throw.

During air combos, if you are mid screen you want to pull the stick up/forward to meet your opponent in the air combo. Near a corner, you want to go straight up to get all the hits in.
Day 1 I thought whether I had to do M or H Purification into Chaotic Flame was completely random. Eureka when I figured that out.

Ah yes. "Magneto is worthless now, how dare they take everything away from him. Those new moves are worthless."
RayRay wanted to drop him because "he's so slow now". Ugh. There isn't a single "top tier" character from Vanilla that isn't still top tier in this game.

Magneto.... more like Fatneto amirite guyz?

Magneto gets his air dash, st.H and EMD nerfed.... goes on to win EVO. To be honest the air dash slowed down ended up being a buff because he can now squeeze in a j.L before landing when before it would be too fast.
Maybe we could keep slowing Iron Man down and he would get better, too.

I thought the Sent thing was fairly well known, he just leaves fairly fast and the initial drones don't count as an assist call in that combo, giving them enough time to recover if you do something long enough to call Sent again.

^Terrible sentence but you get the idea.

Re: eureka

Came when I realized I could cross up with an air dash while calling assists. Second was XF guard cancelling. 3rd was figuring out a combo for every situation, or at least main ones (air throw mid, air throw corner, midscreen, corner, SJ height, random hit). Fourth was probably feeling supremely comfortable moving, which just clicks after playing and watching.

X-23 is decent for learning this as is dante, since they're pretty standard. Morri, a lot like Parker, is funkier.

Solune

Yah I'm not surprised with Drones since it happens with Missiles too (more reason to nerf Missiles?!). It seems like you can do some massive damage combining that "unscaled glitch" and double drones though.

Ammy
Hawkeye
Zero
X-23
Dorm

*shrug*

Some people become ridiculous in XF3 (like X-23) but I'd go

Magneto
Zero
Vergil
Trish
Wesker

Dahbomb

There isn't a single "top tier" character from Vanilla that isn't still top tier in this game.
Wolverine, Phoenix and Amaterasu are more High tier now. Wesker pretty much cradles in between bottom of Top and top of High although to be honest he did that before too so he really didn't change in placement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom