• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

hey do you have your system connected through an ethernet cord or wireless? because the connection felt really wonky at times when we played. btw did your brother not want to play? i challenged both of you. :p

Wireless until we get an ethernet jack done in my room or I move out. As for my brother, well he was ready but chickened out. :p

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Hey guys I know I just started playing again finally but.... my little sister just passed away and.. I'll be back around later :( Don't have a competitive spirit at the moment.

Really sorry to hear that dude.

Uh I encountered a glitch with Spencer's Wire Grapple M assist not sure if it's known, I think I've seen something similar before. I don't remember what exactly caused the glitch but Spencer grabbed my opponents point character and the character was left at superjump height in a standing state. The character could perform ground moves. I ended it by jumping up there and grabbing him.

Anyone knows what this is?

FSLink

Banned
So I'm finally back from work stuff...anybody up for a few games on XBL or PSN?
Quoting for new page.
Should note that my XBL is FSLink and my PSN is amodestproposal.
Let me know if you want to stream or record the matches too.

And that glitch sounds a lot similar to the grapple vs Ammy projectile counter combined with a certain vanilla MvC3 glitch.

Frantic

OK, if you're here Frantic, I want a full breakdown of what I do and don't do enough of. Don't hold back, it's the only way I'll get better.
One thing you should do is train yourself to automatically go into down back when the other person is on the ground, and reaction high block to any jump/overhead. I know that's easier said than done, and the want to up-back is very tempting, but it's usually better to go into down-back if the character doesn't have a tri-dash. This was a problem I had early on in the game too, and I was constantly getting clipped by lows trying to hold back or upback until I forced myself to down back more.

Also, try not to get too button happy when the other person is in your face. I managed to catch you a few times after your blockstrings because you were still trying to dash up and hit me, even when you weren't at the advantage anymore. If you get pushed out enough, back off and play some of the lame game until you can get back in. Most of the other stuff I can think of will generally come from experience. I was terrible when I first started venturing online in vanilla, and just grinded it out until I got better.

Those matches were so much fun you wouldn't believe. I was there getting bodied and going "that's fucking cool" legitimately during some of them. :lol
Haha, thanks. I find it hilarious that I'm legitimately good with Dante and Strider, and my Trish ain't so bad... but my Vergil is absolutely fraudlike. My scrubby Morrigan was putting in more work than Vergil, lol.

No. You drop your combos, but I drop my combos ON STREAM pretty much on a weekly basis, therefore I am more like the OMGiTzAndre of Mahvel-GAF than you.
Well, that's worse than me dropping combos online, so I guess so. D:

Although I guess to truly be OMGiTzAndre, we have to drop combos and then get an American Reset on them immediately after. Seems to be how he does things.

Grecco

Really sorry to hear that dude.

Uh I encountered a glitch with Spencer's Wire Grapple M assist not sure if it's known, I think I've seen something similar before. I don't remember what exactly caused the glitch but Spencer grabbed my opponents point character and the character was left at superjump height in a standing state. The character could perform ground moves. I ended it by jumping up there and grabbing him.

Anyone knows what this is?

I think this happened at WNF/TRB in a Fanatiq vs Justin match months ago....

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yeah I just saw that video and the reflector glitch and those are different from what I got. For the glitch that happened in my match Spencer was an assist and my opponent's point character got stuck in the air.

Azure J

GGs Enzo. By the last few matches, you could tell that my mind had fallen asleep what with all those Happy Birthdays you got. :p

I just realized that I need more matchup experience. Nova and Haggar openers made me too conservative at match start and getting grabbed that often is painful vs those two. I don't think Dante got to play at all tonight minus battles with lab buddy Frantic. :p

Oh and just a little tidbit for you, Vajra on point is devastatingly unsafe on block. You can ground grab those.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GGs Enzo. By the last few matches, you could tell that my mind had fallen asleep what with all those Happy Birthdays you got. :p

I just realized that I need more matchup experience. Nova and Haggar openers made me too conservative at match start and getting grabbed that often is painful vs those two. I don't think Dante got to play at all tonight minus battles with lab buddy Frantic. :p

Oh and just a little tidbit for you, Vajra on point is devastatingly unsafe on block. You can ground grab those.
GGs man. The score should never have been that much in my favour, nowhere close. I knew by the end there you were probably salty as fuck from all the stupid day 1 stuff I was hitting you with :p

You were as free to Unibeam as I was to Vajra. I felt you never used Vajra enough, or never at least got a chance to exert pressure back on me. Pretty much when I got bored of Energy Javelin/Unibeam I crept in. Also, I see your not fully adjusted to dat XBL lag factor yet as your still doing those stylish Dante combos and never finishing your plate :p

Also thanks for the tips, if you even have more I'd appreciate it. I tried baiting out Vajras with Iron Man for a Proton Cannon xx Victory but you kept things unpredictable. Is Vajra still unsafe when your in XF3? BTW I love your team. dat colour synergy

Azure J

Thanks a ton for all of this. You'd be so surprised how many bad habits I have playing this game that I have to unlearn for the sake of getting to that level. I gotta say though, I was a bit upset that the hype of playing some Marvel GAF matches made me miss out on a lot of things I'd usually try out in other situations.

Haha, thanks. I find it hilarious that I'm legitimately good with Dante and Strider, and my Trish ain't so bad... but my Vergil is absolutely fraudlike. My scrubby Morrigan was putting in more work than Vergil, lol.

I think it's a curse of Dante players to be absolutely terrible with Vergil and vice versa. :lol

That being said, I was having the hardest times with my Bold Cancels. I really wanted to do the Stinger + Assist stuff but eh, guess I gotta refine that series of inputs more. I also want to say, your Dante/Trish/Strider team is amazingly strong. Low Voltage assist was clearing all the shenanigans I could come up with. I wish if I liked a beam/fast horizontal assist character enough to put them on my team sometimes when I see that, but Amaterasu's Slow DHC is too good (Even if I didn't get to use it as planned) on top of the value she gives Strider with Cold Shots.

@Enzo, no salt here, that's reserved for getting hit with babby mode stuff from ZMC and watching it work. :p

Yeah, even though the lag wasn't at the level of "holy bullettime", I did notice myself dropping a lot of stuff that I really shouldn't have gone for in the first place given the circumstance. Also, never have I seen a bird cooked so proper as with that one Iron Avenger KO. (Tangent: I really really like that Dante/Felicia/Phoenix "troll" team, even though I'm scrubby as shit with Felicia. What did you think of it?) I'll try and collect up some thoughts for you later on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Enzo what's your team now?
Still Nova/Iron Man/Akuma. I haven't hit the lab in months, but after EVO I kind of want to to figure something legitimate out.

Killed Phoenix in the air, repulsar blast > Iron Avenger to kill Azure's DP immediately as I landed. That made my fucking century, you guys have no idea.

EDIT: @Azure I'm not the person to ask for team synergy advice, but it seems you had trouble getting anything going with Dante, and all I saw from those matches was that one dirty ass low/high left/right mixup when it comes to Dante and Felicia working together, I didn't find it too threatening. It seemed like Dante and Felicia were working independently of eachother, and when Dante couldn't get in, it was a wrap. It's hard for me to infer anything from the few games we played without this sounding harsh or something :lol But pretty much, if I killed Dante, Felicia was helpless and it was on to the Phoenix problem quite quick, maybe it's just because of your Felicia in particular. What's the reasoning behind the team construction?

Dahbomb

Killed Phoenix in the air, repulsar blast > Iron Avenger to kill Azure's DP immediately as I landed. That made my fucking century, you guys have no idea.
8339_original_YesJackNicholson.gif

Azure J

Still Nova/Iron Man/Akuma. I haven't hit the lab in months, but after EVO I kind of want to to figure something legitimate out.

EDIT: @Azure I'm not the person to ask for team synergy advice, but it seems you had trouble getting anything going with Dante, and all I saw from those matches was that one dirty ass low/high left/right mixup when it comes to Dante and Felicia working together, I didn't find it too threatening. It seemed like Dante and Felicia were working independently of eachother, and when Dante couldn't get in, it was a wrap. It's hard for me to infer anything from the few games we played without this sounding harsh or something :lol But pretty much, if I killed Dante, Felicia was helpless and it was on to the Phoenix problem quite quick, maybe it's just because of your Felicia in particular. What's the reasoning behind the team construction?

Oh, it's a work in progress, but the idea is simple. Dante is the gatekeeper and responsible for building the lion's share of the meter necessary for Phoenix. As he can build around 2 meters solo from one character while being put in an advantageous situation after said combo, he goes first. Of course problem is getting the gameplan started as you said. He gets cover from TK Shots and Felicia's Rolling Buckler sets up the dirty unblockables raw or (more preferably) with the Grapple reset. The latter just wasn't working at the time since my brain was off in more ways than one and I was (and still am) dying for some sleep. :lol

Felicia on point is supposed to go full troll mode with her regular BnBs omitting the OTG - Super part of things and instead going for a meter charge every time the character is knocked down with a longer charge on character KO. She also gets some mileage from TK Shot at that point, but I try to use the assist very sparingly once down to her. Don't need any late game Happy Birthdays.

Now, the biggest problem with Felicia is that I still can't do her really meaty combos consistently yet and that was further compounded by playing online. Any hit I got, I made sure to go straight into what worked guaranteed which was the fraudulent magic series + ADK relaunch. I'd usually try for her back H to try and confirm a portion of her normal combo, but eh, I really was playing quite fraud like tonight. At least I got a portion of her command grab - Toy Touch jump loop combo off. :p

From our matches though, I can already see that there are two things I need to do to make that team work even half as well as my Dante/Amaterasu/Strider. I need to set the pace right from the jump with lots more pressure than I'm used to dealing out and I need to make sure that under no circumstances do I ever let a character with a decent horizontal beam assist stay there unchecked. Unibeam was fucking up EVERYTHING tonight. :lol

Even though you said you're looking into alt teams, this one is really good. I seriously never realized just how much damage Nova does until I realized that out of the 10+ matches we played, I don't think Dante survived once if Nova got to him. That Grown Ass Damage, goddamn.

shaowebb

My heart goes out to you Q. I just read and I am really sorry this happened. You're our friend and we're all sorry for your loss.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I'm actually getting the hang of this crazy game. Need to learn more about TAC's (not sure which direction does what), Maximize my combos, work on my DHC synergy and just practice more, but learning this marvel stuff isn't as impossible as I thought it would be.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys I know I just started playing again finally but.... my little sister just passed away and.. I'll be back around later :( Don't have a competitive spirit at the moment.

Wow dude I'm really sad to hear that... My condolences to you and your family.

I played a bunch of games with my friend yesterday who has never played the game before, and I won 10 out of 18 games. If I was trying to be competitive that would piss me off, but luckily I'm just playing this casually. Anyway, my main issue is that whenever I jump in or approach with a combo he's usually blocking, and then as soon as my combo ends he'll attack me and catch me in a combo. So, how exactly am I supposed to approach someone if they're blocking? How do I catch them out?

Also I swear I'm constantly blocking but I always get hit. It's like the game hates me and refuses to acknowledge my intention to block.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Wow dude I'm really sad to hear that... My condolences to you and your family.

I played a bunch of games with my friend yesterday who has never played the game before, and I won 10 out of 18 games. If I was trying to be competitive that would piss me off, but luckily I'm just playing this casually. Anyway, my main issue is that whenever I jump in or approach with a combo he's usually blocking, and then as soon as my combo ends he'll attack me and catch me in a combo. So, how exactly am I supposed to approach someone if they're blocking? How do I catch them out?

Also I swear I'm constantly blocking but I always get hit. It's like the game hates me and refuses to acknowledge my intention to block.

I'm assuming you're pretty new to this game, if not I'm sorry if this offends you for being pretty basic advice.

It's highly possible that you're trying to block immediately after a string of unsafe moves. Meaning your opponent can start hitting you after that string ends a split second before you're able to block. If you're ending a series of blocked attacks with a launcher that's almost always punishable unless your name is Wesker. Likewise you could be blocking while standing and getting hit by lows, or blocking while crouching and getting hit by overheads, mostly aerial moves but some of the slower standing moves also double as an overhead.

Also my condolences to you Q.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm assuming you're pretty new to this game, if not I'm sorry if this offends you for being pretty basic advice.

It's highly possible that you're trying to block immediately after a string of unsafe moves. Meaning your opponent can start hitting you after that string ends a split second before you're able to block. If you're ending a series of blocked attacks with a launcher that's almost always punishable unless your name is Wesker. Likewise you could be blocking while standing and getting hit by lows, or blocking while crouching and getting hit by overheads, mostly aerial moves but some of the slower standing moves also double as an overhead.

I am as green as they get, so no advice is basic advice.

So got it, if he is blocking then I shouldn't hit my launcher. What I need to do is learn some mixups I guess, since my attacks are just L-M-H-S.

JeTmAn81

I am as green as they get, so no advice is basic advice.

So got it, if he is blocking then I shouldn't hit my launcher. What I need to do is learn some mixups I guess, since my attacks are just L-M-H-S.

Not ending a blocked attack string in a launcher is a good rule of thumb, but a better rule is not ending in anything that is unsafe, which varies from character to character. Who is on your team?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Morrigan/Dante/X-23 at this point.

For Dante know that you'll have to do LMS instead of LMHS mostly to safely start a combo. The H makes the S whiff most of the time since Ultimate. As for basic mixups, you coud try practicing stuff like X-23's Mirage Feint M combined with assists like Dante's Weasel Shot to get a feel for left/right stuff. Or things like calling X-23's Ankle Slice in-sync with aerial attacks from your point character to create near unblockables. Mistiming it will get X-23 killed a lot of times, but once you get the hang of it, it can be very dirty.

To make X-23 safer you could try ending a string in one of her feints to resume offense or practice doing her charged Ankle Slice (best covered with assist) and continue your offense from there. You have the advantage when they block that move, so oftentimes they'll try to start a combo only to be hit with the next part of your offense.

Zissou

Just going LM into launcher with dante is a bad idea. You should go LMH stinger and if they still haven't pushblocked you can BC the stinger into whatever or BC the stinger into a full combo if they got hit.

Dahbomb

I think sbo qualifiers are today and tomorrow. Revelations and seasons beating are the next two major marvel events, seasons beating of course is always omega hype.

Personally I am enjoying my non marvel weekend, started up some d3 and arkham city. I want to beat AC before tdkr.

New iron man 3 armor looks aaaaaaaasssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think sbo qualifiers are today and tomorrow. Revelations and seasons beating are the next two major marvel events, seasons beating of course is always omega hype.

Personally I am enjoying my non marvel weekend, started up some d3 and arkham city. I want to beat AC before tdkr.

New iron man 3 armor looks aaaaaaaasssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!
Spent the last week grinding, got all 440 riddler trophies in Arkham City... got nothing. NOTHING. =| So I'm kind of salty about that.

And yeah the movie Extremis costume is looking ass. I like the upcoming one from the comics though:

detail.jpg

gawrike

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Just going LM into launcher with dante is a bad idea. You should go LMH stinger and if they still haven't pushblocked you can BC the stinger into whatever or BC the stinger into a full combo if they got hit.

Bold Cancel is tricky for a new player though, not being able to do it is the reason I dropped Dante myself.

What's going on with Storm in that cover?

Not Storm. Warbird, one of the newer characters introduced in the Wolverine and the X-Men comic. Shi'ar warrior keeping an eye on Gladiator's son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom