• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
This is true. Enzo's comments on my Dante/Felicia and my trial by fire courtesy of Sixfortyfive has given me a greater desire to play with setups to apply pressure with the two and perfect some Felicia BnBs.

Let me know if you ever wanna play. I'm low to mid tier on the Marvel gaf scale so it shouldn't be very onesided.

Odinson

I'm always willing to spar with Marvel Gaf when I'm on. I think I've graduated from scrub tier to whatever's after that. I can always use the practice and I find having a sparring partner really helps. (GT is the same as SN)

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Just to cover all bases, if anyone wants to play right now on the 360 side, add NAFLA.

Azure J

So my brother just broke the game in a rather hilarious way. I wish if I knew what was happening here, but it involved XF3 Sougenmu'd Zero chucking so many projectiles at a target (chip damage KO btw) that the game choked up and for a good 5 marvel seconds, he could continue moving about before the K.O. flash registered on screen even though the match was already announced as over.

Edit: Seems to have something to do with Training Mode and finishing Sentinel last currently.

mr. puppy

Banned
what teams are everybody maining nowadays? i'm still on firebrand/dante/task after stealing everything from that deadpool video and all the evo stuff i saw people do.

Grecco

what teams are everybody maining nowadays? i'm still on firebrand/dante/task after stealing everything from that deadpool video and all the evo stuff i saw people do.

Jumping on that Zero May Cry bandwagon. But i may try to learn Magneto instead of Vergil. Also maybe Strider for some matchups.

Dahbomb

Jumping on that Zero May Cry bandwagon.
loki_gif_1.gif

zlatko

Banned

Nova/Dante/Hawkeye at the moment.

Don't really get to play that much these days, so I don't know any Dante combos lol. I just jump back shoot purple air guitar while calling hawkeye assist as I scheme for a teleport set up when they get anxious.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Dante/Wesker/Morrigan. Since Day 1 Vanilla.

It's a team with a lot of problems, but I love all three characters so I won't be changing it any time soon.

But other fun teams I've been using are:
Captain America/Chris/Ryu
Spencer/????/Akuma

Grecco

Shameful.

Still kicking ass with Haggar/Chris/Doom and Spiderman/Hawkeye/Doom.
Then again I live in the Middle East so not like I have dozens of top tier players to kick my ass.

After watching an "average" Zero take out 2 of the best Marvel players of all time at EVO, i had to jump on that Zero bandwago. Character is just too good.

Dahbomb

If you are talking about PZPoy I think both Viscant and Yipes were more man handled by the fact that Phoenix was also on that team and it was a major distraction. Viscant had PZPoy's Zero beat even with just Wesker + Haggar but it usually came down to DP vs DP which is dumb. The final game had Viscant making the biggest choke of his entire life, shit happens.

Yipes always chokes against Phoenix, he was actually doing decently well against Zero I felt. He mind fucks himself too much when playing against her.

More Zeros basically means more Vergil + Strider in the meta. Might as well jump that bandwagon.

Grecco

Yeah i am talking about PZPoy and yeah the Pheonix was a distraction, and Viscant had that choke but his Zero put in major work, and his zero isnt great. Its not on the level of Marn/Flocker/Mihe ect.....

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If you are talking about PZPoy I think both Viscant and Yipes were more man handled by the fact that Phoenix was also on that team and it was a major distraction. Viscant had PZPoy's Zero beat even with just Wesker + Haggar but it usually came down to DP vs DP which is dumb. The final game had Viscant making the biggest choke of his entire life, shit happens.

Yipes always chokes against Phoenix, he was actually doing decently well against Zero I felt. He mind fucks himself too much when playing against her.

More Zeros basically means more Vergil + Strider in the meta. Might as well jump that bandwagon.

I'm honestly surprised we didn't seen more Zero+Phoenix pairings. One touch essentially guarantees 5 meters. Fighting Phoenix is simply stressful, and I think that Yipes needs to be more consistent with his anti-Phoenix tech. You could see the presence of Phoenix had a huge effect on the minds of players like Yipes and Combofiend.

mr. puppy

Banned
I'm honestly surprised we didn't seen more Zero+Phoenix pairings. One touch essentially guarantees 5 meters. Fighting Phoenix is simply stressful, and I think that Yipes needs to be more consistent with his anti-Phoenix tech. You could see the presence of Phoenix had a huge effect on the minds of players like Yipes and Combofiend.

i've yet to see this happen in a tourney level match

Dahbomb

Phoenix is a mind hack. It's especially effective when the first character on the team is an insanely powerful point character. I will never forget when Tokido won CEO with this... his Phoenix was a complete distraction and he was burning X factor/meter with Wolverine to get character kills. If his Wolverine gets killed early, he then reverts to plan B of Phoenix.

Some players get mind hacked easier than others.

Tirael

I'm running Task/Deadpool/Hawkeye. (Team Arrow Mercenaries?) I've not stolen much from that Taskmaster/Deadpool/Dante video, I'm just scrubbing it out with magic series. (And even though Hawkeye's on anchor, he's EXTREMELY hard to control in XF3.) Deadpool's janky hitboxes helped me win a local, though, so that's great.

My original team, and the one I use for backup is Dante/Frank/Hawkeye.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
i've yet to see this happen in a tourney level match

How many Zero+Phoenix's do you see at a tournament level? PZPoy, since Flocker dropped Phoenix?

I may have exaggerated a bit, but Zero builds stupid amounts of meter while dealing big damage, and without relying on TAC's like Champ's team. He's a very good battery. And despite all the "anti-Phoenix tech" out there most people's teams got completely decimated once Dark Phoenix rose.

Azure J

Still on my Dante (Jam Session)/Amaterasu (Cold Shots)/Strider (Vajra) here. For as much as I got bopped this past weekend, there's still a lot of untapped synergy and potential there from what I've seen. I'm also getting a bit more serious about Dante (Jam Session)/Felicia (Rolling Buckler)/Phoenix (TK Shot) after seeing how I should be calling TK Shot from Sixfortyfive's use of Felicia + Task horizontal arrows. I still say that I'm "searching" for a third, and I won't lie and say that I'm not looking at Zero. At the same time though, Dante (Jam Session)/Dormammu (Dark Hole or Liberation)/Magneto (Estaka) is looking like the last squadron more and more. Ability to rain fire and shit from the sky >>>>>> Zero fan.

Also, I so wish if I knew setups to get Dormammu in and out rapidly for Liberation assist shenanigans. Using that is basically a custom assist option.

Edit: Marvel GAF keeps going dead after I post, what gives? :p

With all the Jojo's news passing around lately, I feel like posting a move set concept for Classic Megaman that I was thinking about for a minute.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't get why people play Zero May Cry that shit is lacking proper synergy and its like HERPA DERP GOOD CHARACTERS there is a reason this team didnt get anywhere in evo guys.

This game is more than just tossing a bunch of good characters on your team and winning you know

V_Arnold

More than half a year after I started taking UMVC3 seriously, I finally found a group that I feel comfortable with, using assists to help each other out, etc: it is Wesker/Trish/Vergil (in that order).

Wesker without XF3 is not THAT crazy, but he has to be respected. And I just love when I see something intuitively and attack into it, and it works. It is a great feeling, lol. Still need to put a lot of work into Trish, cause I am nearly worthless with her. Vergil is Vergil, ofc.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Switching between:

-The Brotherhood

-Magneto / Doom / Ammy

-Wesker / Doom / Mag

Once I get the execution and combo down, that 1 million + off of Magneto's grab, will be quite nice. That's all thanks to Vergil's lack of care, in regards to hsd.

Azure J

I don't get why people play Zero May Cry that shit is lacking proper synergy and its like HERPA DERP GOOD CHARACTERS there is a reason this team didnt get anywhere in evo guys.

This game is more than just tossing a bunch of good characters on your team and winning you know

The thing about that team is that it's the ultimate example of front loaded in this game. When Zero gets started, it's undoubtedly one of the top 3 if not the best in terms of the damage it can do outright when all the gears are in place. The issues come when any one of the two assists are lost or when Zero is taken out of the picture. Dante with Vergil gets zoned for free (startup on Dante's stuff + grounded assist that attacks with its face = not a good look vs. Hawkeyes, MorriDoom and the like) and Vergil with Dante's Jam Session does a good bit of damage, but nothing near optimal.

At the same time, I don't know why I feel like I'd hesitate just a tad from talking ill of the synergy that team has. Their DHCs all have some harmony to themselves (Vergil Bubbles to Zero Rekkoha & Million Dollars to Sougenmu for lightning loops are some bullshit), we all know how bullshit Sparda Bros on anchor with XF3/Meter on deck can be and then there's nuanced stuff like Swords & Devil Trigger.

Frantic

Primarily Dante(Weasel Shot)/Trish(Low Voltage)/Strider(Vajra), which I've been maining for a month or two now. Used to use Dante/Vergil/Strider, but I wanted a projectile assist. Low Voltage isn't the best projectile assist for Dante, but the only one on a character I like and am decent with so I'm happy. I also have some tricky setups with it thanks to its slower activation speed. I love being in Devil Trigger where Dante has no voiced assist call, dashing forward before Trish appears on screen, getting hit by someone, then three projectiles fly out of nowhere to whack them out of their combo and give me the combo. It's so dumb, but so good.

As far as side teams go, I've been experimenting with Strider on point, but don't have a set team just yet. Mainly just messing around with Strider/Trish/Dante since it's got some good setups, but I do eventually want a team designed completely around Strider, just not sure who goes best with him yet.

Azure J

Primarily Dante(Weasel Shot)/Trish(Low Voltage)/Strider(Vajra), which I've been maining for a month or two now. Used to use Dante/Vergil/Strider, but I wanted a projectile assist. Low Voltage isn't the best projectile assist for Dante, but the only one on a character I like and am decent with so I'm happy. I also have some tricky setups with it thanks to its slower activation speed. I love being in Devil Trigger where Dante has no voiced assist call, dashing forward before Trish appears on screen, getting hit by someone, then three projectiles fly out of nowhere to whack them out of their combo and give me the combo. It's so dumb, but so good.

As far as side teams go, I've been experimenting with Strider on point, but don't have a set team just yet. Mainly just messing around with Strider/Trish/Dante since it's got some good setups, but I do eventually want a team designed completely around Strider, just not sure who goes best with him yet.

My personal favorite from that Trish nonsense was the classic Stinger (Call Trish) - Teleport just because I learned the hard way how long it takes that projectile to fire. I'd be blocking the right way only to see myself walk into your Dante combos or "wise up" then eat lightning in the ass. :lol

As for Strider, Ammy-Doom. Team Clockwork is just too good.

Zero May Cry has pretty good synergy, but no horizontal approach.

I'd almost argue that if Zero goes, there's also no real aerial check you can convert off of. Hassling guys out of the air is cool and all but when everyone's just gonna do it™, sometimes you will feel like you need to convert off of those things.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I have finally picked a team and started working on it since I abandoned my Zero/She-Hulk/Doom when Ultimate came out. Chris/Dante/Sentinel is the new hotness, a long time coming. This is actually the first time I ever really even picked Dante. He is pretty good.

Zero May Cry has pretty good synergy, but no horizontal approach.

Sam's Dante will approach you from any angle at any time lol

Darksim

I also initially thought that Zero May Cry wasn't the optimal Zero team or even really that amazing. Upon actually playing with it, my opinions began to change and I was prepared to drop Zero/Dante/Magneto for it a little over a month ago (which I had been playing for months, starting maybe a little bit more than a month after launch). First of all, the team has Zero. It also has Vergil. It has an assist that both characters can kill people with. It also has Vergil.

In comparison to many other Zero teams, this one has two gigantic threats. Some people (Le Flocker) run this with a different assist character other than Jam Session and ultimately gimp Zero as a result. I don't even think a horizontal assist is necessary for either character, though it is very popular with Vergil.

First of all, Viscant stated that the order should be Zero/Dante/Vergil, which I don't agree with. Vergil should be second; Dante, who is the actual important assist here, should be last. This way, if for whatever reason Zero is DHC'ed out, the glue holding the team together doesn't become the main target. It also lets you DHC into Swords, which is good at shutting down the only thing that can actually give Zero problems (MorriDoom, other projectile heavy keepaway such as Dormammu) and in the event Vergil is killed, you still have Zero/Jam Session which is more than good enough to run a train on an entire team.

Zero with both of these assists is essentially the most efficient way to kill people off of random Jam Session hits. Many really awkward Jam Session hits can leave Zero short of reaching the corner, which is exactly what Rapid Slash does for him. It's also a fantastic extension for him in general.

Vergil with Jam Session is really, really underrated by just about everyone I talk to. People even act like it's bad. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is like the only assist that can be used for standard teleport mixups, controlling air space (which Vergil can convert off of with Helm Breaker) that also lets him otg off of Helm Breaker, Standing Grabs, or even use it in place of an otg assist for making awkward hits that must go straight into launchers into a full combo. Vergil even has great incoming mixups with it (Much like Zero, with stuff like cross up Jam Session > dash under > Rapid Slash, etc.)

Zero never, ever, needs to use XF. Much of the issues of Vergil not killing off of awkward Jam Session hits should be solved by using XF2 whenever necessary. If he has enough meter, he can do serious damage off of most hits with it too, which he will have if Zero manages to accomplish anything.

I think it's a really incredible team, even though playing Vergil with Jam Session isn't something that people seem to like.

TWILT

Banned
Dante(b)/Vergil(y)/Strider(y) is my main team. I sometimes switch Dante and Vergil around depending on the matchup. I also run Wesker(b)/Dante(a)/Strider(y) as a backup team.

I also like messing around with Zero/Hawkeye/Dante, and Chris/Dante/(sometimes Doom, Morrigan or Ammy).

smurfx

get some go again
hawkeye/taskmaster/haggar

unless there is a new character i'm probably sticking to this team till the next marvel game.

That's what I was thinking as well, but at this point I would get thrashed so badly I don't think I would even learn anything.

If you play a lot of sets I think certain things might get better like your defense...or that's what I'd hope, anyway. Do you have PSN? I want to play people on PSN since I don't have a 360, and it'd be good to play people on my level.

Still sticking to my day 1 UMvC3 team, Hsien-Ko/Phoenix Wright/Amaterasu. I took a bit of a break from the game but every time I turn it on, this is the only team I really want to use. I'm a Hsien-Ko fan, I'm an Okami fan, and I'm an Ace Attorney fan. If I think about trying to make my three favourites work, I do think it should be at least decent. Might be a bit difficult getting Rimoukon/Senpu Bu activated and getting Phoenix Wright in safely from there, but it's something I'm willing to stay with, especially with the news that the game won't be patched anytime soon.

Anyway, once Persona comes out I'll probably play this even less, but for now I'd like to have fun with these three characters again.

Solune

I'd almost argue that if Zero goes, there's also no real aerial check you can convert off of. Hassling guys out of the air is cool and all but when everyone's just gonna do it™, sometimes you will feel like you need to convert off of those things.
I think as long as Vergil is second, you can convert off of stray air hits . ^ Darksim basically did the job of explaining it for me lol.
I have finally picked a team and started working on it since I abandoned my Zero/She-Hulk/Doom when Ultimate came out. Chris/Dante/Sentinel is the new hotness, a long time coming. This is actually the first time I ever really even picked Dante. He is pretty good.

Sam's Dante will approach you from any angle at any time lol

I meant playing with Zero on point. Zero can make up for horizontal control with Sougenmu but obviously isn't necessary.

I think one thing about tournament standards that I don't necessarily agree with is the fact that you have to play in the designated order that you select your team in. It would be great to switch the order mid game depending on the matchup, but I guess "Zero has no bad matchups"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom