• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mention Nova incoming mixups reminded me that mine are pretty weak and I have no idea what to do. With the rest of my team
-If Frank is level 1 then just a (charge) zombie + log trap
-If Frank is level 2+ then he'll be constantly switching sides during the above
-Raccoon has his traps without meter, and with meter I usually place a spring trap and cross up with the teleport or try to make it as ambiguous as possible with the H version of it.

Nova though...most I do is the shield if I don't have much red health and/or throw some javelins, but it's not like that ever accomplishes anything. What should I do with him?

smurfx

get some go again
today i was playing this guy who was using noel browns team and he was really good with it too and then i realized it was him. -_- if i had remembered his stupid name then i would have killed his wolverine with haggar right off the bat.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Energy javelin then square jump H with an assist. If you time the square jump late enough you will cross up (opponent goes underneath you as they come in)

Also you can do Gravemetric Pulse H then do cr. M for a solo incoming mixup. And again depending on when you slide it's either a crossup or not.

Dahbomb

Is Rhino Charge good during DHC since startup doesn't matter?
It is but 2 meters for a counter which may not even be guaranteed because the other guy can also use hypers/DHC or X factor to avoid the counter. In Vanilla at least when you made the read on an aerial opponent, he had no way out because he couldn't air X factor out of it.

Bizazedo

Yup, gg's. The Centurion Arts parade into throw reset pegged me so many times, it's so hard to tech, hahaha.

A Vergil-ling is always a threat and I'm expecting yours to get better. His neutral is a little rocky at the start but I'm sure you'll be flowing in no time. I like that you already do the sword loop though, hahaha.

I really think this team will be a lot better for you in the long run. Your welcome mixup with Nova is extra greasy now too.

Danke. Yeah, I was playing him too much like Zero. Always charging round trip. His normals are too vulnerable for that, so that stops after today :(.

The Centurion Arts parade throw reset is kind of an accident. What should happen is Centurion Arts L, Vergil Rapid Slash hits, Centurion Arts M hits, Centurion Arts H hits, and depending on how much I hit you prior, immediately go into Nova Force or jump up and do an H into Nova Force.

"Problem" is there's two tricky timings very quickly. You can't call Vergil too early, have to wait til Nova stands / almost stands. That's so after Rapid Slash hits, he'll fall far enough to eat the Cent M....but I can't do a Cent M til after I visually see Rapid Slash hit so the timing works out.

The happy side effect is if I get amped and go too early, the whiff of the Centurion M sets up that nasty throw reset.

I will admit to being super pissed I messed up my one chance to go Gravimetric Blaster --> Devil Trigger --> Dark Angel, though. I definitely don't have that timing down.

As for the welcome mixups with Nova --> Vergil...man, some of those I didn't even know which side to block. I do like how an early Javelin forces you down into the mixup, though.

Been toying around with Point-Eye, I think I like him against Zero, especially if I can get to two bars. Gonna do some mix and match against Zero from now on. See whether they know how to play the matchup against Petey and if they do, get Hawkeye to help. Probably gonna do the same for point Doom's now too, and to a lesser extent, well backed Taskmasters.

It does, kind of. You have to be paranoid of falling into a rhythm with your shots. You ate a couple busters due to repetition. And I guess we both learned tonight Nova can thread the needle over the shots and still avoid the web throw.

BUT, you're right. If I didn't have Nova, once you got 2 bars, Zero was especially fucked.

Just FYI, if I do a lazy UWT reset (ie not from Hawkeye), Vergil's way out is forward tech jM iirc. That thing has stupid, stupid range. I like that my sting reset was effective since you know how to get out of the lazy ones with both Nova and Zero. Still can't believe the guide advised people to only use it in combos...

I was wondering, thanks. I'll try and remember. And yeah, I think the guide is somewhat outdated for some of the tips at this point.

How do you know if 23 is going to hit behind or in front btw when she dashes / does the special into the corner above me as I enter?

Raw tag madness was hilarious btw.
Best part of the matches. Raw tags followed by retaliatory raw tags for like 3 matches.

You had some awesome blocks of the Nova takedowns, btw. I think only one really made me happy (when I flew through you to let the hitstun subside and then came back in), but the rest it was like "C'mon, this works on everybody! :(".

----

I swear, if I get cleaner and stop the drops, I'm sure I'll be able to do some damage at my next major.

Yeah, I've said it before, that's one of the major differences between top guys and mid tier. Don't drop your shit.

Question, though, if you don't go for reset, what's max damage on your combos?

Bizazedo

Nova though...most I do is the shield if I don't have much red health and/or throw some javelins, but it's not like that ever accomplishes anything. What should I do with him?

Stupid stuff works an amazing amount of the time. Just throwing a javelin and timing the crouching B to hit right as they land works on an embarrassing amount of people. Reason is they see the Javelin go up, press back, they land, they're still pressing back so the low hits.

If they get used to that, timing Nova's overhead works the exact same way.

The rest just depends on assists. For your team, you could call Frank and then crouching B so they block frank the wrong way. Frank comes out quick, though, so it'd be harder than what I do.

Could probably do it with Log, too. Call log, simple crouching B, he gets hit cuz you time the cr. B right, etc. Can throw the javelin first to prevent air dashing / instant hypers not by Sentinel, call Log, crouching b. Do it enough and you'll get the timing.

And remember, they never enter the voiceover guy finishes speaking. So call log at the end of "CRAZY!" or "COSMIC!" etc.

It is but 2 meters for a counter which may not even be guaranteed because the other guy can also use hypers/DHC or X factor to avoid the counter. In Vanilla at least when you made the read on an aerial opponent, he had no way out because he couldn't air X factor out of it.

You shouldn't be able to dhc against +0 hypers :-(

Marz

Hey guys who goes well with Doom/Dormammu besides the obvious Magneto?

Right now i've got Doom(plasma beam)/Strange(Bolts)/Dormammu(Dark Hole) or Dormammu(Dark Hole)/Strange(Eye)/Doom(Hidden Missiles)

I like Strange but he just seems so limited mobility wise and his normals are ass.

Any Marvel characters go well with Doom and Dorm? Preferably point characters.

I can see Spencer, Zero, and Wolverine. Maybe X-23 (I don't know shit about her). Firebrand and Dorm go well, but I don't know if Firebrand and Doom goes well but then again who doesn't go with Doom?

JeTmAn81

Stupid stuff works an amazing amount of the time. Just throwing a javelin and timing the crouching B to hit right as they land works on an embarrassing amount of people. Reason is they see the Javelin go up, press back, they land, they're still pressing back so the low hits.

If they get used to that, timing Nova's overhead works the exact same way.

The rest just depends on assists. For your team, you could call Frank and then crouching B so they block frank the wrong way. Frank comes out quick, though, so it'd be harder than what I do.

Could probably do it with Log, too. Call log, simple crouching B, he gets hit cuz you time the cr. B right, etc. Can throw the javelin first to prevent air dashing / instant hypers not by Sentinel, call Log, crouching b. Do it enough and you'll get the timing.

And remember, they never enter the voiceover guy finishes speaking. So call log at the end of "CRAZY!" or "COSMIC!" etc.

This definitely makes the average person's brain scream "Unblockable, look out!". I had to look up Energy Javelin in the guide to make sure it didn't overhead.

laaame

Hey Mahvel Gaf, I have some questions about push blocking? When would be the best time to do a push block when you are being attacked and how to punish other people's push blocks? Right now I just push block everything but I hear from stream commentary that some moves you shouldn't push block.

Solune

Right now i've got Doom(plasma beam)/Strange(Bolts)/Dormammu(Dark Hole) or Dormammu(Dark Hole)/Strange(Eye)/Doom(Hidden Missiles)

I like Strange but he just seems so limited mobility wise and his normals are ass.

Any Marvel characters go well with Doom and Dorm? Preferably point characters

Wolverine , Nova , Spider Man, Captain America, Skrull, and maybe Hawkeye.

Hey Mahvel Gaf, I have some questions about push blocking? When would be the best time to do a push block when you are being attacked and how to punish other people's push blocks? Right now I just push block everything but I hear from stream commentary that some moves you shouldn't push block.

You shouldn't push block moves that you KNOW are unsafe, the most punishable moves are usually Launchers / St.S or unsafe close range special moves. Also try not to pushblock under certain circumstances like Vergil's roundtrip, pushblocking puts Vergil at a much larger frame advantage giving him time to setup his teleport mixup, if he teleports too early you will still be in blockstun making you less susceptible to the mixup.
A good time to push block is before a Vergil player cancels into their St.H , because St.H cannot be whiff cancelled into special moves(only supers) and it has a huge recovery window unless backed by an assist.
Usually it's good to pushblock when your opponent is coming at you with air dash overhead, there's some setups to negate pushblock / guard break you but in general it's good practice because your opponent usually has a large frame advantage when jumping deep and you need to prevent them from setting up unblockables or high low mixups by creating space.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
You shouldn't pushblock things that aren't safe on block. You'll have to just play a lot to figure out what's safe or not but most of the time launchers are unsafe on block so start by looking out for those.

Definitely pushblock beam supers and stuff. You'll take less chip damage.

It really depends on the move....

Obviously if a move is really unsafe then there no point in push blocking it and just punish. However if a move is really safe, and allow them to continue pressuring then you would want to push block to get some space.

Also note that certain move or strings should be push block at different times. It's really hard to say there is a one-fit all answer.

Marz

Wolverine , Nova , Spider Man, Captain America, Skrull, and maybe Hawkeye.

Thanks man, i'll try working in the lab with all of these characters for a bit.

Doesn't Wolverine generally need an assist to OTG for him so he can extend his combos though?

smurfx

get some go again
sounds like you are just starting out so you will eventually know what to push block and not. if there is any particular character giving you problems then ask people here for tips on how to fight them. you should also post who you use.

laaame

Thanks everyone, I kinda understood what pushblocking is for but it is good for some confimation. Still not sure about specific moves such as spiral swords or some of Spencer's stuff but I guess I will figure out.
I would love to play some of GAF as soon as I upgrade my internet. Last game I played online, KoF 13, was literally unplayable (I know it is prob the worst netcode but my internet is bad regardless),

sounds like you are just starting out so you will eventually know what to push block and not. if there is any particular character giving you problems then ask people here for tips on how to fight them. you should also post who you use.

Well I had the game since launch month but never took the game to a super serious level. I also had a hard time deciding on a team so I just never stuck with the game.
But I am now trying to get more active with the game now so I just created a brand new team of Wolverine (b. barrage)/Deadpool(katanarama)/Akuma(tatsu). I just made up the team last month so I am not too great with them and would be willing to switch any of them if they don't have good synergy, I can do most of wolv's and Akuma's stuff though. In the past I have tried to main Nova, Cap. A, Trish, Chris, Hawkeye, and casually tried about 2/3's of the cast, but I couldn't decide a team and gave up. I pretty much only chose Wolv & Akuma because they are known bff's in this game.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
That's definitely a good team for Wolverine. Not sure about Deadpool though, but that's just because I know nothing about his synergy with Akuma. His Katanarama assist definitely helps Wolverine though.

Deadpool and Akuma work well together.

Megaman Steve used to play Zero, Deadpool, and Akuma. He did fairly well with it as well. He did drop Deadpool but that wasn't because Deadpool sucked, but because Zero needs one of his DmC white boys.

Solune

Thanks man, i'll try working in the lab with all of these characters for a bit.

Doesn't Wolverine generally need an assist to OTG for him so he can extend his combos though?

Depends on which Doom assist you're using but you should be able to OTG with Wolverine using slide (DF+M) into Plasma Beam and still get Tornado Claw into Fatal Claw loops. Doom Missiles is a no brainer for OTG, you just have to get the timing down.

You should also be able to slide into Dark Hole, but the timing is much stricter.

Any Marvel characters go well with Doom and Dorm? Preferably point characters.
Strange's real problem is that he has no way to create space alone. It's just a slaughterhouse if someone gets in on him, he's helpless.

If you are using Hidden Missiles, your characters can literally be anyone and you'll do reasonably well.

I know. :(

Yeah, you pretty much got it! If Hsien-Ko can land a hit into a launcher, I can tiger knee Rimoukon and get PW in safely. From there it's fighting while picking a good time to look for evidence. If Turnabout is achieved, I make PW the anchor while it's Ammy's turn to be protected by Senpu Bu if Hsien-Ko isn't already dead from the abuse.

Of course, before the first patch I was all about Break the Witness because that was just amazing. Post patch...honestly, all 3 of my sets just have a different assist for PW. I use the one with Missile the most because it's nice to have a low hitting OTG assist, but I admit that I need to get the timing down for the OTG because it feels just a bit too slow. Paperwork is pretty okay for protection too I think.

Yea thats a rough setup to run and very gimmick heavy but props for sticking with characters you like. It's not that bad of a set up really though. HK gold armor with wright works great. It lets you get evidence fast and leads to some easy Objection lands. I would imagine that turnabout Wright with cold star backing him up would be very effective as well. The only issue is that if things don't go your way and you don't have gold armor on HK that will lead to some big trouble. Yea heavy rushdown characters like Wesker or Vergil won't let you just Hard Tag after going gold at the start. PW would eat up a huge combo. Tricky stuff.

Danke. Yeah, I was playing him too much like Zero. Always charging round trip. His normals are too vulnerable for that, so that stops after today :(.

The Centurion Arts parade throw reset is kind of an accident. What should happen is Centurion Arts L, Vergil Rapid Slash hits, Centurion Arts M hits, Centurion Arts H hits, and depending on how much I hit you prior, immediately go into Nova Force or jump up and do an H into Nova Force.

"Problem" is there's two tricky timings very quickly. You can't call Vergil too early, have to wait til Nova stands / almost stands. That's so after Rapid Slash hits, he'll fall far enough to eat the Cent M....but I can't do a Cent M til after I visually see Rapid Slash hit so the timing works out.

The happy side effect is if I get amped and go too early, the whiff of the Centurion M sets up that nasty throw reset.

I will admit to being super pissed I messed up my one chance to go Gravimetric Blaster --> Devil Trigger --> Dark Angel, though. I definitely don't have that timing down.

As for the welcome mixups with Nova --> Vergil...man, some of those I didn't even know which side to block. I do like how an early Javelin forces you down into the mixup, though.

It does, kind of. You have to be paranoid of falling into a rhythm with your shots. You ate a couple busters due to repetition. And I guess we both learned tonight Nova can thread the needle over the shots and still avoid the web throw.

BUT, you're right. If I didn't have Nova, once you got 2 bars, Zero was especially fucked.

I was wondering, thanks. I'll try and remember. And yeah, I think the guide is somewhat outdated for some of the tips at this point.

How do you know if 23 is going to hit behind or in front btw when she dashes / does the special into the corner above me as I enter?

Best part of the matches. Raw tags followed by retaliatory raw tags for like 3 matches.

You had some awesome blocks of the Nova takedowns, btw. I think only one really made me happy (when I flew through you to let the hitstun subside and then came back in), but the rest it was like "C'mon, this works on everybody! :(".

Yeah, I've said it before, that's one of the major differences between top guys and mid tier. Don't drop your shit.

Question, though, if you don't go for reset, what's max damage on your combos?

Yeah, my Hawkeye needs to be a little more spry. He's almost there but not quite.

As for X-23, if I do the H talon Dive, I have no idea which side. It's timing dependent. Most have the instinct to hold back, but its not a great idea if I do it later since you always come in a set distance and I'm behind you no matter what.

Mirage feint M always crosses up on welcome (of course, it's spacing dependent, about 2/3rds screen). as for after a knockdown, same deal. For regular dashes on knockdown, it's similar to that Magneto stuff -- since I'm button dashing, I don't know what side I'll end up on, but my normals are faster than the entire cast essentially, its a meaty, and the hawkeye assist will give further block/hitstun/help me identify which side I'm on as I'm attacking. If he's dead, her confirms are easy/safe enough that I should be alright regardless.

Tl;dr -- I'm letting the game show me itself :p

Had to learn the hard way (re: from you) about just how mobile Takedown is. Learning to see it better now.

Damage is the thing this team lacks. 7-750 for one bar is aight, but only 850ish for two or low 900s for three. Usually not a huge factor as Spider-Man play leads to a lot of attrition, and the true problem characters for him are dead within that range. There's always XF if someone absolutely needs to die, and I'll take what is far better utility IMO than a TOD. If I wanted a TOD swinger, I'd play Spencer (and sacrifice far more versatile movement/defense) or Doom/Vergil (boring and a sword guy :p).

Spidey's not meter heavy at all either and has relatively solid resets, so it gives Hawkeye and X-23 a relative damage boost/more options w/r/t meter regard too. I am rarely in a situation where I don't have the bar to do what I want.

Bizazedo

Damage is the thing this team lacks. 7-750 for one bar is aight, but only 850ish for two or low 900s for three. Usually not a huge factor as Spider-Man play leads to a lot of attrition, and the true problem characters for him are dead within that range. There's always XF if someone absolutely needs to die, and I'll take what is far better utility IMO than a TOD. If I wanted a TOD swinger, I'd play Spencer (and sacrifice far more versatile movement/defense) or Doom/Vergil (boring and a sword guy :p).

Spidey's not meter heavy at all either and has relatively solid resets, so it gives Hawkeye and X-23 a relative damage boost/more options w/r/t meter regard too. I am rarely in a situation where I don't have the bar to do what I want.

Yeah, I was just curious. Zero has a measly 830 and Nova only 900, so I was wondering what your thought process was on your decisionmaking. You'd still go for resets most of the time (I assumed they weren't drops) and I was assuming that was to fuel Hawkeye and (especially) X-23.

And knowing, painfully, X-23, I can see why. But, curiosity is my bane.

Yeah, I was just curious. Zero has a measly 830 and Nova only 900, so I was wondering what your thought process was on your decisionmaking. You'd still go for resets most of the time (I assumed they weren't drops) and I was assuming that was to fuel Hawkeye and (especially) X-23.

And knowing, painfully, X-23, I can see why. But, curiosity is my bane.

Oh, I gotcha. Yeah, I usually have a rule about not using meter unless it will a) kill b) put the opp in a position that is essentially a kill or c) save myself.

I find it weird that a lot of people don't do this, hahaha.

Tirael

hey are you on psn? you play task/deadpool/hawkeye right? im trying to run them as my new keepaway team (just learned a deadpool bnb the other day)...wanna get some mirror matches in sometime?

Man I wish, but believe it or not, I'm part of the (surprisingly sizeable chunk of) people that are stuck with dial-up as their Internet of choice. I would be really interested in seeing how I size up against someone playing the same team, see how they pilot the characters differently from me. (Or the same.) I'd do it if I could, but sorry man. : /

Grecco

Man I wish, but believe it or not, I'm part of the (surprisingly sizeable chunk of) people that are stuck with dial-up as their Internet of choice. I would be really interested in seeing how I size up against someone playing the same team, see how they pilot the characters differently from me. (Or the same.) I'd do it if I could, but sorry man. : /

Dial Up? With that funny phone modem sound? That exists?

smurfx

get some go again
Yeah, in rural areas. When I worked for the gov't I was surprised when I discovered such people. And, even worse, some people have no internet options at all where they live.
they can get satellite internet but its horribly priced and its incredibly slow for what they charge and they usually have caps as well.

kirblar

I need pictures as proof because there is no way in hell I believe dial up is still in existent.
It definitely still exists - rural areas and places w/ elderly people (especially both) are the main things keeping it going.

(On a related note- look at liberal news sites v conservative ones - notice how the conservative ones often look like they're from the stone ages? This is a reason why.)

Bizazedo

I find it weird that a lot of people don't do this, hahaha.

I agree with it. I sometimes break it with Nova, but yeah, it's a rule I use to. I just need more experience with Vergil :(.

He definitely upped Zero's damage and Nova's, I just don't have faith in Vergil to DHC from Nova yet.

Dahbomb

I am much more inclined to believe people have no internet vs having dial up. I have been to rural countries and 3rd world nations... Dial up is dead there too but people who can't afford internet usually don't have a PC anyway.

Azure J

The music playing is so good in a trollish way. :lol

Dante back to ass tier confirmed. :p

Edit: In other news, in my efforts to work smarter not harder, I just kinda had a massive derp moment regarding Dante's standard BnB. Why the hell do people do the S - Clay Pigeon - Prop Shredder part if they aren't trying to build meter? Did you know going S - Clay Pigeon - Stinger - Bold Cancel teleport actually opens up more damage and meter opportunities? Hell, with Strider assist, 550K before super is the norm (Million Carats as Vajra comes down - Volcano xx Beehive - Volcano xx Beehive) and doing Jet Stream xx Fireworks after that first Volcano xx Beehive pushes damage up to 570K ish.

Solune

The music playing is so good in a trollish way. :lol

Dante back to ass tier confirmed. :p

Edit: In other news, in my efforts to work smarter not harder, I just kinda had a massive derp moment regarding Dante's standard BnB. Why the hell do people do the S - Clay Pigeon - Prop Shredder part if they aren't trying to build meter? Did you know going S - Clay Pigeon - Stinger - Bold Cancel teleport actually opens up more damage and meter opportunities? Hell, with Strider assist, 550K before super is the norm (Million Carats as Vajra comes down - Volcano xx Beehive - Volcano xx Beehive) and doing Jet Stream xx Fireworks after that first Volcano xx Beehive pushes damage up to 570K ish.

Prop Shredder is just much much easier to hitconfirm, IMO. It shouldn't be an issue if you practice it but there isn't any timing involved really with Prop Shredder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom