• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hah, he got a pass then. Ant Man still gets shit for that.

It comes with him being an alcoholic. Hank Pym's thing is being an agressive wife-beater. Every Marvel superhero has some sort of predictable flaw to try and connect them with the reader. The company is nothing if not formulaic.

Anth0ny

Marvel will be stubborn about it, though. For Ultimate, Capcom just got a list of 6 - no negotiations, apparently. If we get a MSH2, just look at Marvel movies for the next 2 years to figure out the exact roster.

That's true. Yet, Marvel Ultimate Alliance gets everyone under the sun. I wish they would embrace the past with the Vs. series, considering a huge chunk of players grew up in the 90s playing the Vs. games and have a bond with Venom, Gambit and the other popular characters from the 90s.

If it's not 3v3, then things get sticky. How do you rebalance, say, Phoenix for 1v1 or 2v2? If you have to rework movesets entirely, how much work does that take?

That one's easy. Drop the whole Dark Phoenix thing. Or, give her a level 3 that turns her into Dark Phoenix for a limited time. There's ways.

Also, no x factor or TACs please ^_^

That's true. Yet, Marvel Ultimate Alliance gets everyone under the sun. I wish they would embrace the past with the Vs. series, considering a huge chunk of players grew up in the 90s playing the Vs. games and have a bond with Venom, Gambit and the other popular characters from the 90s.
Yeah, who knows how that worked out...

That one's easy. Drop the whole Dark Phoenix thing. Or, give her a level 3 that turns her into Dark Phoenix for a limited time. There's ways.

She wouldn't be Phoenix without Dark Phoenix! And Dark Phoenix only needs 10 seconds to kill a team in Marvel 3. ;-) My point was more a general one, though. Dormammu would be plain unfair in a 1v1 environment unless they redid him from scratch.

Azure J

People need to realize all Dark Phoenix is really just feathers + XF stat boosts already. If this game had no X-Factor like and they made feathers a DP only level 3, that'd be pretty damn legit.

That doesn't make sense statistically speaking. Cyke, Colossus, Cable are all confirmed for the MMO. Cyke, Colossus, Kurt, Gambit, Rogue are all confirmed for the facebook app.

So I highly doubt that Marvel gave them just a list of six.

The data doesn't lie.

Solune

I like Batman but hate Nolan's Batman.

Come at me fanboys.

Already know the ending to DKR.

Annoys me to no end. At least the Avengers just went with the heroes always win trope through some miraculous event.

I just think Christian Bale is a crappy actor in general, like you said the movie was carried by Heath Ledger and IMO Aaron Eckhart.

ILL Virtue

Neo Member
Just got back from Spiderman... Terrible terrible movie... Bad script, boring predictable story. So many unexplained and Disney channel moments it's ridiculous... So a big "f*** you" to every reviewer and/or commenter on blogs for saying this movie was worth 8 dollars of my money... This is the best they can do? After Avengers, Thor, and Cap Am (decent at best, but still better than this garbage)? Ugh... So bad.... Sry for the rant, but jeezus was I disappointed...

Just got back from Spiderman... Terrible terrible movie... Bad script, boring predictable story. So many unexplained and Disney channel moments it's ridiculous... So a big "f*** you" to every reviewer and/or commenter on blogs for saying this movie was worth 8 dollars of my money... This is the best they can do? After Avengers, Thor, and Cap Am (decent at best, but still better than this garbage)? Ugh... So bad.... Sry for the rant, but jeezus was I disappointed...

To be fair, all those movies you just listed were done by Marvel Studios. The new Spider-Man was not. I've heard several people tell me, incorrectly, that the reason they rebooted Spider-Man was because Marvel Studios was redoing it, and thus hoped for high quality stuff. Columbia Pictures still has the rights.

In my opinion, Marvel movies that are not made by Marvel Studios are still not to be trusted. The closest a different studio has gotten to a great movie was X-Men:First Class, which I thoroughly enjoyed but I know many people still had a lot of problems with it.

I think I'm gonna stick with X-23/Magneto/Doom for a while. It's a lot simpler to use than my other teams and I need to work on the basics more than anything else.

Bizazedo

TAS is a movie with a great cast but crappy story, and dialogue is what most people say.

Too true. Far superior actors to the previous ones, but the script..ehhh

GG's Sasa. I think I changed my mind. Hawkeye without assists < Spiderman versus Zero.

..well, if they have an assist like Nova that trades with Spidey when you alpha counter I suppose. If not, then go for it.

ILL Virtue

Neo Member
To be fair, all those movies you just listed were done by Marvel Studios. The new Spider-Man was not. I've heard several people tell me, incorrectly, that the reason they rebooted Spider-Man was because Marvel Studios was redoing it, and thus hoped for high quality stuff. Columbia Pictures still has the rights.

In my opinion, Marvel movies that are not made by Marvel Studios are still not to be trusted. The closest a different studio has gotten to a great movie was X-Men:First Class, which I thoroughly enjoyed but I know many people still had a lot of problems with it.

Ah. I didn't realize that. Maybe that is the reason for the shitty quality. I mean the music was laughable. The effects were ok, but the story was so bad. Garfield makes a great sm, but if this is the best production they can put on than he is doomed...

First class was ok... Just ok... I think Avengers,Thor, and tdk have set the bar for superhero movies. if you cant deliver that kinda quality and do the character(s) justice, then gtfo... But that is coming from a pretty hardcore fan and not a casual viewer. TAS grossed a ton of money unfortunately... I feel like that is going to give the green light to make more mediocre movies with big names attached to them...

Ah. I didn't realize that. Maybe that is the reason for the shitty quality. I mean the music was laughable. The effects were ok, but the story was so bad. Garfield makes a great sm, but if this is the best production they can put on than he is doomed...

First class was ok... Just ok... I think Avengers,Thor, and tdk have set the bar for superhero movies. if you cant deliver that kinda quality and do the character(s) justice, then gtfo... But that is coming from a pretty hardcore fan and not a casual viewer. TAS grossed a ton of money unfortunately... I feel like that is going to give the green light to make more mediocre movies with big names attached to them...

Yeah, those movies have definitely set the bar for superhero movies but unfortunately it hasn't made other studios produce anything better than they did in the past. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Green Lantern, new Spider-Man...well, apparently the new Spider-Man is better than the old ones, so I guess that's progress?

Really, the Batman movies are the only thing coming close to what Marvel Studios is putting out, but even those have their detractors while I see Marvel Studio movies get pretty much universal love.

At least Fantastic Four has hope with it's reboot since they have Josh Trank on board who directed Chronicle, which I thought was an awesome movie. I guess some people hated it so your excitement may vary. It was definitely a "different" kind of superhero movie, but I liked it for that.

Dahbomb

I just think Christian Bale is a crappy actor in general, like you said the movie was carried by Heath Ledger and IMO Aaron Eckhart.
Bale was very solid in BB though. His character was just not as well written in TDK, he had almost no characterization. From the initial impressions of TDKR, it seems to be more like BB with more focus on Bruce/Bale.

And people overrate Marvel studio movies in general as well. Iron Man 1 and Avengers are the only 2 great movies they have put out. I would seriously put SM2, Blade and X Men 2 over anything that isn't those 2 movies made by Marvel studios. Honestly I would easily put TAS over those movies as well. Thor didn't set the bar for anything... I don't get the love for that movie at all.

Thing is with Thor/Cap they were supposed to be introductions to those characters and did not have RDJ to make it fantastic. IM2 was letting Favreau do his thing and it fell short.

Marvel now is approaching things with what made Avengers good. Also, TIH was good outside of Hulk. Mark Ruffalo nailed Hulk. PERFECTLY.

Really expecting the next Cap/Thor movie to be better.

Dahbomb

Well I hope they are but I was certainly a bit disappointed in Thor and especially Captain American which is arguably just a bad movie in general.

The casting for the heroes has been spot on but Thor in his movie held his dick for the most part. Felt more like a rom com featuring an Asgardian god. The climax of the movie was like a
5 second Mjolnir summon/swing to beat the Destroyer
... THRILLING!!! The movies did what they were made to do though.. which was to introduce the main heroes of the Avengers and build up to the eventual REAL movie which was the Avengers even at the expense of the quality of the movies. IM2 is the worst culprit of this.

I just hope the quality of IM3, Cap 2 and Thor 2 don't suffer because they are going to be used as build up for Avengers 2 rather than being solid movies on their own right.
Also, TIH was good outside of Hulk. Mark Ruffalo nailed Hulk. PERFECTLY.
It only took them 3 tries to get it right... *roll eyes*

TIH was bad all around, Norton bad as Hulk/Bruce, Liv Tyler was pretty awful and the CG was fairly spotty especially towards the end. Action was neat but that's not going to carry a movie alone these days.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
And people overrate Marvel studio movies in general as well. Iron Man 1 and Avengers are the only 2 great movies they have put out. I would seriously put SM2, Blade and X Men 2 over anything that isn't those 2 movies made by Marvel studios. Honestly I would easily put TAS over those movies as well. Thor didn't set the bar for anything... I don't get the love for that movie at all.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa

Liv Tyler, and Norton were bad. ANd yeah the CGI was spotty. And took Marvel two tries.

Ang Hulk was done by another company.

But SM2, XM2,Avengers are my top three Marvel movies followed by IM and First Class(I was surprised it was good).

Dahbomb

But SM2, XM2,Avengers are my top three Marvel movies followed by IM and First Class(I was surprised it was good).
I am 100% ok with this. In fact that's probably my order too.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa
I liked TAS over Thor and Captain America. Not over SM2, Avengers and X Men 2, might've worded it improperly. TAS really nailed the action scenes, the movement/look of Spider Man, the cast plus I felt that it really struck the balance of tone between the Raimi SM movies and the Nolan Batman movies.

Tirael

It's really amazing, the scope of UMvC3. It allows us to have discussions about a very wide variety of things and remain, for the most part, on topic.

Dahbomb

I bet when RE6 comes out we are going to be in this thread talking about how it was awesome/sucked and which RE character we want in the next Marvel game.

Full circle.... or as Nolan put it "poetry".

I bet when RE6 comes out we are going to be in this thread talking about how it was awesome/sucked and which RE character we want in the next Marvel game.

Full circle.... or as Nolan put it "poetry".
Barry so I can get one step closer to playing the "old man" team. Capcom is probably gonna reset the whole thing though so I expect much gnashing of teeth when we find out they cut Chris or Jill.

Also, here is the characters I believe were on the list so far:

Avengers 6
Logan
Spidey
Storm
Magneto
F4
She Hulk
IF
Colossus
Cyke
Emma
Ms. Marvel
Scarlet Witch
RR
Deadpool
Dr. Strange
Doom
Taskmaster

And all I got for now.

Capcom asked for these characters from the looks of it:
Sent
MODOK
X-23
Dorm(thank god)
Shuma
Ghost Rider

Azure J

Dormammu was easily one of the best casting calls Capcom or Marvel has made in terms of getting new blood into the series and realizing it well. I still can't believe he is as popular as he is, prior to a one-off showing of the animated Dr. Strange movie on Cartoon Network a few years back, I wouldn't have even known who he was coming into Marvel 3. :lol

Marz

Dormammu was easily one of the best casting calls Capcom or Marvel has made in terms of getting new blood into the series and realizing it well. I still can't believe he is as popular as he is, prior to a one-off showing of the animated Dr. Strange movie on Cartoon Network a few years back, I wouldn't have even known who he was coming into Marvel 3. :lol

Well he's pretty fuckin cool for the most part and he's good and fun to play so that always helps:D

Anth0ny

lawful

Banned
I desperately need a DBZ 2D plane game. Budokai HD probably isn't getting online MP so I'll be back to reading this thread to try to get good at Ultimate.

Wish me luck.

Anth0ny

I desperately need a DBZ 2D plane game. Budokai HD probably isn't getting online MP so I'll be back to reading this thread to try to get good at Ultimate.

Wish me luck.

Budokai 3 is great... but the dragon rush mechanic is actually worse than the TAC mechanic. I don't know how that's even possible.

lawful

Banned
Budokai 3 is great... but the dragon rush mechanic is actually worse than the TAC mechanic. I don't know how that's even possible.

My dream collection would have been Infinite World, Budoka Tenkaichi 3, and Super Dragon Ball Z

All 3 will online match making, leader boards, achieves/trophies for each game, etc.

Godly collection.

619656683.jpg
Run it!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You guys, Batman Begins is a great movie! It's not as good as The Dark Knight, as it is more of an origin story so things move much slower in the beginning, but it's still a great movie.

That being said, when I do go to watch TDKR next weekend (couldn't get tickets for this weekend because everything is freaking sold out already), I am only going to watch the TDK beforehand.

It would seem, however, that I am going to have to avoid the internet for the next two weeks to avoid any spoilers for the movie. Arghh....

Bizazedo

GG's Sasa. I think I changed my mind. Hawkeye without assists < Spiderman versus Zero.

..well, if they have an assist like Nova that trades with Spidey when you alpha counter I suppose. If not, then go for it.

And after a night's sleep, I think I was wrong. Or maybe not. No idea. A lot of the stuff we were able to do is just because we've played over 100 matches against each other in two days, so I have no idea anymore.

It was good to find out, painfully, that your electric arrow beats level 3 buster and continues on to hit me. That was rude lol.

Zissou

How did I never realize before that holding left or right when you reset training mode put you in the corresponding corner... I am an idiot.

Lothars

You guys, Batman Begins is a great movie! It's not as good as The Dark Knight, as it is more of an origin story so things move much slower in the beginning, but it's still a great movie.
I disagree I think Batman Begins is better than Dark Knight which heath ledgers performance saved it, but I prefer most of the recent Marvel movies over both Batman movies and I like Batman.

How did I never realize before that holding left or right when you reset training mode put you in the corresponding corner... I am an idiot.
I never realized that either, hmm good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom