• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zissou

I did it completely by accident. I knew for a long time (as I assume everybody did) you could hold down a1/a2 to have a different character start after the reset, as that had precedent in normal matches, but it blows my mind you can start in the corner- it would've saved so much time to have known that sooner, lol

I rarely practice corner stuff, but damn it would be nice if there were an "always in the middle" mode for non-corner stuff. Like a stage that loops endlessly (Danger Room would be a good fit).

Zissou

I play doom/dante/strider, so all of my characters have substantially different mid screen and corner combos. Starting in the corner is actually useful for mid screen combo practice too- like for doom, I can start in the corner via the reset, quickly footdive over them thus putting myself in the corner and allowing me to practice starting with my back to the wall. With Dormammu you could just quickly teleport behind them. I wish you could do a save state type thing where when you reset training mode, it puts you in a specific location according to how you set it up.

I play doom/dante/strider, so all of my characters have substantially different mid screen and corner combos. Starting in the corner is actually useful for mid screen combo practice too- like for doom, I can start in the corner via the reset, quickly footdive over them thus putting myself in the corner and allowing me to practice starting with my back to the wall. With Dormammu you could just quickly teleport behind them. I wish you could do a save state type thing where when you reset training mode, it puts you in a specific location according to how you set it up.
Very true. If I hate it my way, we'd have hitbox and frame data displayed, and also a manual input mode where I can tell the game at time X to input something particular to test theoretical combos. I really hate testing new things and not knowing whether I'm failing because of my execution or because it's not possible. There were a few things I thought weren't possible with Dormammu that I either learned from others that they were or re-figured it out later.

Thinking about it. For whatever reason I never really was interested in Spencer and I'm addicted to using drones even if Sent gets blown up half the time cause I do a horrible job of protecting my assist calls... :/
Play Spencer well enough and you'll never get hit. He's a really safe character.

Solune

Ed Norton Hulk was pretty bad. Hulk works best smashing shit and command throwing people in Avengers. I'm happy they aren't working on a Hulk 2.

I'd put TAS about on par with Thor and Cap. Maybe a bit better. It was good, not great.

Niitsuma needs to made a 2D DBZ fighting game taking advantage of the "anime" air dash concept he talked about at Evo.
I liked Ed Norton Hulk, was disappointed he wasn't in it but Mark Ruffalo did an alright job too I think.

Cap was a really disappointing movie for me, it was my least enjoyable out of the Marvel movies last year. I still enjoyed it but it definitely could've been better. I know duckroll is Cap defense force though.
I rarely practice corner stuff, but damn it would be nice if there were an "always in the middle" mode for non-corner stuff. Like a stage that loops endlessly (Danger Room would be a good fit).

I just reset the training room when I want to practice mid-screen stuff but yah, it would be nice to have that feature. Funny I practice corner stuff alot, funny alot of characters have wall to wall BnBs that lead to the corner anyways.

And after a night's sleep, I think I was wrong. Or maybe not. No idea. A lot of the stuff we were able to do is just because we've played over 100 matches against each other in two days, so I have no idea anymore.

It was good to find out, painfully, that your electric arrow beats level 3 buster and continues on to hit me. That was rude lol.

Hahaha, I go back and forth on it too. I think by committee and the quick reversal of playstyles is a great wrench to throw at Zero, if that means anything. Both had their moments.

Also, Karst -- what makes you say Spencer is safe? I find him pretty punishable if you know what to look for and have an invincible super yourself. He's not safer than anyone else really with assists IMO.

Just curious.

Hahaha, I go back and forth on it too. I think by committee and the quick reversal of playstyles is a great wrench to throw at Zero, if that means anything. Both had their moments.

Also, Karst -- what makes you say Spencer is safe? I find him pretty punishable if you know what to look for and have an invincible super yourself. He's not safer than anyone else really with assists IMO.

Just curious.
The aerial zipline is like +8 on block, so why not think he's safe? Unless you're doing horizontal zips without being backed by an assist, he's really safe. He gets in for free, too, which is part of the safety IMO. I wasn't thinking of Bionic Arm at all - it's a good move, but overrated.

mr. puppy

Banned
jesus deadpool/dante/task is giving me too many options to do thc beam shennanigans. they all have long lasting hypers.

firebrand is fun and all, but with firebrand and dante i have way too many problems with not having a TOD ability on my team, which is something i really really think a team needs.

jesus deadpool/dante/task is giving me too many options to do thc beam shennanigans. they all have long lasting hypers.

firebrand is fun and all, but with firebrand and dante i have way too many problems with not having a TOD ability on my team, which is something i really really think a team needs.
The only thing that sucks about Deadpool is that his guns always angle downward when used in the air. They should have given him a hyper where he can shoot horizontally in the air while moonwalking or something. He spends the vast majority of his fights in the air, and the assist punishes just aren't as good as they could be.

mr. puppy

Banned
The only thing that sucks about Deadpool is that his guns always angle downward when used in the air. They should have given him a hyper where he can shoot horizontally in the air while moonwalking or something. He spends the vast majority of his fights in the air, and the assist punishes just aren't as good as they could be.

yeah jam session helps a bit with that, but i definitely know what you're talking about. i was thinking something with strider in the back, but i like using x-factor for more offensive purposes and strider without xfactor just doesn't seem as good as task (though with ouroborous that is clearly not true, but you don't always have 3 levels)

yeah jam session helps a bit with that, but i definitely know what you're talking about. i was thinking something with strider in the back, but i like using x-factor for more offensive purposes and strider without xfactor just doesn't seem as good as task (though with ouroborous that is clearly not true, but you don't always have 3 levels)
Deadpool always surprises me. I can OCV most people online with him just by jumping back and shooting guns. And he's so safe and has so many other options. I love that character. I would have Deadpool on my main team if he worked with Dormammu and Morrigan (I always end up with 5 bars and nothing to do with it). I recently realized that Taskmaster can basically perform the same role as Deadpool, but he can use his hypers in the air for easy damage conversions. I've considered doing Taskmaster/Dormammu/Morrigan, which is a great team. I also used to play a solid Taskmaster in Vanilla, so it wouldn't be too hard to get back into the Spidey Swing of things.

The aerial zipline is like +8 on block, so why not think he's safe? Unless you're doing horizontal zips without being backed by an assist, he's really safe. He gets in for free, too, which is part of the safety IMO. I wasn't thinking of Bionic Arm at all - it's a good move, but overrated.

Ah, I see. I consider his strings to be kinda ass though, and +8 from across the screen isn't going to do anything really, I still feel like it's air throw/tech bait.

GB - I play Scum-23, not X-23. It's a very chippy style and definitely not for point X-23. Learn to MFC though, makes her pressure game pretty dumb. Use your wall jump and CS xx Dive cancels to avoid predictable movement. Don't use M talon from more than 1/2 screen, easy air throw. And use jh, M scythe, L dive to convert from normal height jump.

Sorry I can't tell ya more.

And Rogers hate? I am shocked and appalled.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Is frigging Captain America a counter to Nova or something? That stupid shield fucks everything up.

Shield shuts so many things down. Everything that has the slightest bit of start up the shield throw or its return will stuff it. Cheap way of dealing with it is to fish for air throws and not airdashing too much.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I swear the character is so so so easy to use.

I wouldn't say he's overpowered or anything but man is he dumb.

He's really stupid. Big damage off of really simple stuff. Simple answer to zoning/projectiles with charging star... and completely safe with proper assist calls.

Also his c.L hits soooo far and it's only 4 frame startup. It snuffs everything.

I swear the character is so so so easy to use.

I wouldn't say he's overpowered or anything but man is he dumb.
In response to anything I do with Dormammu: HYPER CHARGING STAR! Guh.

Ah, I see. I consider his strings to be kinda ass though, and +8 from across the screen isn't going to do anything really, I still feel like it's air throw/tech bait.
Whaaaat? +8 does nothing? You are a spoiled Spider-man player, sir. Most rushdown would kill for free ins at even +1! You end the Zip Line with j.H if you're high enough, which overheads and catches chicken guards. If you're not high enough, j.S will still overhead. Even if it's a teched throw, it's a good deal.

Shield shuts so many things down. Everything that has the slightest bit of start up the shield throw or its return will stuff it. Cheap way of dealing with it is to fish for air throws and not airdashing too much.
If the Cap player is predictable, then I feel as though pre-empting the TKed Shield Toss is a good idea. I played a lot of matches against a Cap player who started every single match with a TKed Shield Toss, so I started every match with a Demon Flip H into L for a full combo. ;-) It felt good to smack him down.

Yea thats a rough setup to run and very gimmick heavy but props for sticking with characters you like. It's not that bad of a set up really though. HK gold armor with wright works great. It lets you get evidence fast and leads to some easy Objection lands. I would imagine that turnabout Wright with cold star backing him up would be very effective as well. The only issue is that if things don't go your way and you don't have gold armor on HK that will lead to some big trouble. Yea heavy rushdown characters like Wesker or Vergil won't let you just Hard Tag after going gold at the start. PW would eat up a huge combo. Tricky stuff.

Ah, you're the Wright main that was mentioned earlier! Thanks for your opinion. I'd actually like to ask you about the Wright assist you'd prefer for this team. Like I said before, I only go with Missile because it's the one unique thing Wright has, but I have trouble using it correctly. Which assist do you use for your team?

Ah, you're the Wright main that was mentioned earlier! Thanks for your opinion. I'd actually like to ask you about the Wright assist you'd prefer for this team. Like I said before, I only go with Missile because it's the one unique thing Wright has, but I have trouble using it correctly. Which assist do you use for your team?

For your team I would stick with Missle. I really don't know your characters that well. I would think Break the Witness assist would be too similar to HK assist and Paper also doesn't seem to do much either, but again I don't know those characters very well. I think Missile is bet used when trying to create unblockables and mix ups. It's not a very good projectile and creates only a slight hit stun on the opponent.

I use Missile for my team (PW/Hulk/Wesker) becuase

1. Makes some easy unblockables with Hulk, especially on incoming characters if you can get the distance and timing right. A simple Missile assist and Hulk J.S timed togather with a Wesker gunshot relaunch turns into huge damage.

2. Hulk can relaunch with missile after using gamma wave H in the corner

3. Hulk can combo after a command grab using missile and then gamma charging forward into S.

4. Missile can lead to some Wesker teleport shenanigans

If you ever want practice or in game advice my PSN is SlasherMcGirk.

And Rogers hate? I am shocked and appalled.
cap is definitely a fair character. out of the vanilla buffs, his was definitely one of thones that was well done imo. he's certainly not more derpier to use than a wesker, for example.

2&2 said:
I feel no guilt using him w/ Spidey considering how the latter takes a lot more work.
what's your team? my original vanilla team used to be spidey/felicia/cap. didn't really have a lot of synergy, but i just liked those characters. don't really have a real cap team anymore, but i've been messing around with haggar/cap and cap/strider.

smurfx

get some go again
for the longest i had trouble fighting cap with hawkeye but now i've got the upper hand in that match up. don't like haggar vs cap either. the angles of his shield slash make it hard for haggar to get in. man its ridiculous how many stupid fucking things beats gimlet.

Dahbomb

It's fair because it's not that easy to convert off of it. You still have to make the read on the opponent to know where he is going to be with the Shield Slashes otherwise you will get bopped especially against fast characters if you don't place it properly. The Shield itself doesn't have a lot of durability which is ironic because it is meant to beat out other projectiles anyway.

Unfair would be if the shield hit you on the way back even if you hit Captain. Now that is legitimately derp.

Azure J

I wish if more of the Vanilla "unsalvageables" had gotten second looks on par with Captain America's. Man, the difference is like night and day ten years later

vg260

what's your team? my original vanilla team used to be spidey/felicia/cap. didn't really have a lot of synergy, but i just liked those characters. don't really have a real cap team anymore, but i've been messing around with haggar/cap and cap/strider.

I'm not the one to ask. I was using Iron Man, and I'm sure there's a much better choice. I just use the characters I'm the biggest fan of.

I think Cap was buffed just the right amount. Wish Spidey got one more thing to help, like maybe a bit better super properties or OTG/relaunch option.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It's fair because it's not that easy to convert off of it. You still have to make the read on the opponent to know where he is going to be with the Shield Slashes otherwise you will get bopped especially against fast characters if you don't place it properly. The Shield itself doesn't have a lot of durability which is ironic because it is meant to beat out other projectiles anyway.

Unfair would be if the shield hit you on the way back even if you hit Captain. Now that is legitimately derp.
Plus, if you touch Cap, the shield loses its hitbox even if Cap blocks the hit.

I believe Vergil's Round Trip is the same.

Vice

Examples of what makes him "fair".

All of seen of Cap is Shield Slash

Did it hit?

Yes? Hit confirm into full combo.

No? Throw it again!

It leaves him very vulnerable. So do his other specials. His normals are pretty mediocre as well. His level three is a pain to combo into solo and it has one followup option that's hard to time.

Examples of what makes him "fair".

All of seen of Cap is Shield Slash

Did it hit?

Yes? Hit confirm into full combo.

No? Throw it again!
"fair" in the way i use it is largely determined on whether you can smartly defend against it or you have to guess a lot, i.e. zero and vergil mixups. or its ability to completely shut out or lock down a character, i.e. soul fist spam. at least, thats the way that i look at it. of course the amount of damage they can do is a big part as well, and while cap does good damage, i wouldn't exactly consider him a one touch death character.

smurfx

get some go again
yo sixfortyfive i'm gonna start doing hawkeyes full charged H like you do. such a good block string but i never do it.

Dahbomb

Plus, if you touch Cap, the shield loses its hitbox even if Cap blocks the hit.

I believe Vergil's Round Trip is the same.
Yes that too. If that was allowed, Cap would be legitimately derp.

His normals are pretty mediocre as well.
His normals are definitely very good for the speed they come out at. That 4 frame cr.L is completely bonkers.

Steve is super fair.

Big damage, but he's one of those "shouldn't be able to pin you down/hit you" characters, so you gon die when you get hit -- with the added mix of giving no f*cks about projectiles. In exchange, "harder" corner combos, weak solo mixup, the meh-est solo string (albeit safe) and no SJ height control.

Like any well designed character, he's powerful when he assists to buff his strengths/mitigate weaknesses.

Hyper Charging Star damage is so lol, that it wraps around from being amazing to stupid to amazing again. Always surprised by how much that, Chaotic Flame and the basketball hypers do.

Going to echo that dat cr. L is amazing. Leads to stupid stupid damage too, hahahaha.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I sigh every time I get hit with Hyper Charging Star. If I don't die due to that fake lvl 3, then Vergil comes in with swords.

"TIME TO DIE! HAHAHAHAHA"

*loses character(s)*

smurfx

get some go again
ggs killa. i'm so fucking salty right now holy shit. haggars punching hyper is such god damn worthless piece of shit hyper. even if you don't mash people still fall out of it. what other hyper punishes you for landing it on somebody?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom