• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Spell of Vishanti in the corner while Strange is in the air. Some characters can recover to punish him even if after he lands the combo.

Some characters who are so sped up in LVL3 XF plus some other speed boost can actually punish Hawkeye's Gimlet even if they get hit by it but it has to be super close.

smurfx

get some go again
Spell of Vishanti in the corner while Strange is in the air. Some characters can recover to punish him even if after he lands the combo.

Some characters who are so sped up in LVL3 XF plus some other speed boost can actually punish Hawkeye's Gimlet even if they get hit by it but it has to be super close.
i think some character can punish hawkeye without x factor if he hits them close enough with a gimlet.

ggs killa. i'm so fucking salty right now holy shit. haggars punching hyper is such god damn worthless piece of shit hyper. even if you don't mash people still fall out of it. what other hyper punishes you for landing it on somebody?

Haha yeah that thing is good for catching people flinching on Lariat or just to kill without bounce.

That XF to gimlet STILL hitting was bs too, lol.

Your Hagneto is so serious now. All of the damage. And so many dropkicks.

Azure J

After remembering what Mahvel GAF has been telling me about pressure, my match up against my brother's salt inducing Zero has become something far less strenuous and almost even now. The solution? PRESSURE. It wasn't even anything fancy, I just came in swinging after a long set of his arrogant ass getting gassed up because of the usual losing streaks I come off of.

The craziest part about it was that I literally just said "run it back" and said whatever I would normally do, I'm going to do a complete 180 and see what would happen. Box jump Hs everywhere and while doing that, I'd call Amaterasu liberally. Amaterasu footsies with c.L. Strider not giving any fucks about Dark Vergils. It especially so fucking refreshing watching him squirm back into the corner while I j.H'd like a loon with Dante. The best part about all of this though? I learned so much about his game plan and threw it all off with that one adjustment. Goodbye early match woes, hello Box Dash j.M/H - Assist - Teleport on landing mix up.

That being said, I don't play a good pressure game. :lol

Any tips?

Dahbomb

Go "in".

Derp out.

Just do it.

Press buttons.

Get in that ass.

Basically be relentless, don't give him a chance to breath. It's Marvel baybee... if they get to play the game then you are doing it wrong.

smurfx

get some go again
ggs biza. don't know if its my xbox or my router that keeps doing that sync disconnect. think it might be my router since it was never working right since i bought it. can't ever connect to wireless N on it without it crapping out in a few hours. not that i have it connected wireless but it has to be what's wrong.

Frantic

Any tips?
Troll him with staggered cr.Ls in the corner. That's my favorite thing to do. Just be sure to stagger it in such a way that theres only a one to three frame gap where they're no longer in block stun. If he X-Factors, go right into a Stinger for a ground throw.

Stinger > Reverb Shock + Fireworks > dash > Stinger > Reverb Shock + Fireworks is also good against pushblock. I can't count the amount of people who want to do something after they pushblock, only to fall for the dash up Stinger into Reverb Shock.

Other than that, do what Dahbomb said, and learn to not do whatever gets you hit. :p

Playing with a pad is starting to annoy me, but I have little interest in dropping $160 on an arcade stick. *sigh*
A stick might not fix your problems. Also, if you look out for deals, $100 is a realizable goal for a good stick.

8 rage quits in ranked mode on Vita in a row. Holy shit this is horrible.
My online ranking is so important for validating my existence!

Also, I've never seen Bum's face up close until now. House of Crack indeed.

smurfx

get some go again

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I drop combos sometimes due to the analog stick being so small. Whatever, I'm not intending to play competitively so it's really not worth investing in an arcade stick.

Also, I just played my first online match.

Never again.

Analog... stick.... Play on the dpad. Place your thumb the middle of it, the joint part, on the center part of the dpad. Play like that. Trust me

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I never really liked the dpad for fighting games... I'll give it a shot. I saw those Madcatz pads too but I didn't see an analog stick so I didn't think it would be useful for me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I never really liked the dpad for fighting games... I'll give it a shot. I saw those Madcatz pads too but I didn't see an analog stick so I didn't think it would be useful for me.
What system are you playing on? Don't use a D-Pad if your on 360.

Some of the best players play on pad BTW. Fanatiq, MastaCJ, etc. Either way, your going to have to refine your timing and stuff, stick or pad.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
EG Interviews FRB Kubo about the Kubota Escape. Talks how he came up with it, and the applications.

More here with Floe, Abegen, Chou and Mamespider. Watching them now.

Yup I'm on 360.
What characters do you play again?

Learning the timing for things like OTGs and whatnot, or even pulling off the quarter circle and shoryuken motions just takes practice until it's second nature. A common tip is to go into training mode and do 100 of each, in both directions (left/right).

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
What characters do you play again?

Learning the timing for things like OTGs and whatnot, or even pulling off the quarter circle and shoryuken motions just takes practice until it's second nature. A common tip is to go into training mode and do 100 of each, in both directions (left/right).

I play Morrigan/Dante/X-23 right now. Been messing around in Mission Mode with a bunch of characters and I kinda like Iron Man and Doom, but I don't really know much about them. I'm getting better at Morrigan since I've been practicing with her for a while, but I'm still not that good.

I can do shoryukens and quarter circles fine in isolation, but toss them in the middle of a combo and sometimes it won't come out. Most of the time it will come out, but today was just off for whatever reason.

Also I played two games online and got completely smacked down. People in this game are too intense, I can't even get a few casual games with noobs like me online lol.

Bizazedo

ggs biza. don't know if its my xbox or my router that keeps doing that sync disconnect. think it might be my router since it was never working right since i bought it. can't ever connect to wireless N on it without it crapping out in a few hours. not that i have it connected wireless but it has to be what's wrong.

Eh, the game just does it sometimes. Might be our characters. We have a lot of flinch / instants that might throw us out of sync. GG's, though. Obviously my Vergil is work in progress, but that's why I want to play you lots more. Need zee combat experience with him.

Doesn't Biz play with the analog stick?

Yepper!

Sorry about the abrupt end there, Biz -- had to take a LD call. GGs as always, you make those stray hits count so often, hahaha.

Stray? Everything is planned, even when it's not lol. GG's. I played Smurf and then you. My Vergil actually achieved his first comeback tonight!

/sniffle.

Dahbomb

It's really weird about Magneto.

There isn't a lot that he is the BEST at. He doesn't have the best normals, he doesn't have the best damage, he doesn't have the best mobility (no teleport although his mobility is only 2nd to Phoenix IMO), he doesn't have the best mix ups, he doesn't have the best assists, he doesn't have the best zoning or the best rushdown, he doesn't have the best DHCs or utility hypers....
although he does have the best throw game without question.

However... out of all the top tiers he has no defining weakness. He is not like Vergil where he needs the meter or he needs to be careful about his normals, he is not Viper where he struggles against other super jumpers or hard zoning and he is not like Zero where he has trouble moving around the screen to avoid projectiles/threats. When you put him together as a complete character then you realize that he doesn't lose match ups and there is no situation where he is completely out classed.

He can easily be top 3 and if someone argued him for the best character in the game it's very hard to argue against.

Dahbomb

Magneto has more mobility than Storm?
Not really, I don't think. So I guess it should be top 3 then? The point I was making was that Magneto isn't the best in that category just like the other categories but he is NEAR the best in all of them and the character ends up being greater than the sum of his parts.

He does have the best hit confirms. And arguably the best assist punish move.
What defines best hit confirms?

That makes Magneto the best is his ability to pick the battle. He controls the flow of the fight very well alone. His tri-dash is fast, so he gets to start melee when he wants. He flies away fast, so he can run when he wants. EMD bitch-slaps assist calls, so he controls those. Magnetic Shockwave clears the screen independently from him. The man even controls your placement on the screen if he wants.

smurfx

get some go again
That makes Magneto the best is his ability to pick the battle. He controls the flow of the fight very well alone. His tri-dash is fast, so he gets to start melee when he wants. He flies away fast, so he can run when he wants. EMD bitch-slaps assist calls, so he controls those. Magnetic Shockwave clears the screen independently from him. The man even controls your placement on the screen if he wants.
solo haggar trying to get in on him is both hilarious and sad.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Doin' work for the local scene!

http://www.sixfortyfive.com/temp/xsplit/bama/atktrailer.avi
http://www.sixfortyfive.com/temp/xsplit/umvc3/umvc3overlay4.png
http://www.sixfortyfive.com/temp/xsplit/umvc3/umvc3overlay5.png
http://www.sixfortyfive.com/temp/xsplit/umvc3/umvc3overlay6.png

I play Morrigan/Dante/X-23 right now. Been messing around in Mission Mode with a bunch of characters and I kinda like Iron Man and Doom, but I don't really know much about them. I'm getting better at Morrigan since I've been practicing with her for a while, but I'm still not that good.

I can do shoryukens and quarter circles fine in isolation, but toss them in the middle of a combo and sometimes it won't come out. Most of the time it will come out, but today was just off for whatever reason.

Also I played two games online and got completely smacked down. People in this game are too intense, I can't even get a few casual games with noobs like me online lol.
My rule of thumb for controllers is that you shouldn't invest in a new input device specifically for fighting games until you realize how and why your current one is holding you back.

If you've practiced a lot and can't seem to get consistent results out of what you're currently using no matter what kind of technique you try, then yeah, I'd say it's time to look into a new controller and try something else. (I, along with many other pad warriors, despise the stock Xbox 360 controller due to its terribly unreliable d-pad.) Whether you want to try an arcade stick, a specialty pad (such as the Madcatz fightpads), or a coverter for some other system's controller that you're comfortable with, that's up to you. It's pretty much all preference.

lawful

Banned
For shits and giggles, I finally decided to look at the leader boards for the game.

WTF COSMIC LORD? WTF. WHATTT WTF. I'm having trouble with 9th lords you tellin me fuckin cosmic lords? ugh.

Anyway so I look at numero uno in the world, Some guy from Mexico I guess, has played like 9 games and is leading the pack by 10K+ points. sup wit dat.

Also, if I wanted to get really good at this game, what should I do? Watch videos? Buy guides? buy a fight stick? Buy MK9? Wat do.

Vice

For shits and giggles, I finally decided to look at the leader boards for the game.

WTF COSMIC LORD? WTF. WHATTT WTF. I'm having trouble with 9th lords you tellin me fuckin cosmic lords? ugh.

Anyway so I look at numero uno in the world, Some guy from Mexico I guess, has played like 9 games and is leading the pack by 10K+ points. sup wit dat.

Also, if I wanted to get really good at this game, what should I do? Watch videos? Buy guides? buy a fight stick? Buy MK9? Wat do.

No need for a stick, some of the best players in the world use pads. It just takes hours upon hours of practice to get really good. And being able to learn form your mistakes

My brain cannot comprehend playing with an analog stick.

Analog stick is pretty easy, a very low learning curve.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
How do people get better at this game when everyone online is so freaking beastly? All these people with "5 games played" have obviously played infinitely more than that, and I can't even get a punch in edgewise before I get KO'ed. This has got to be the most hardcore online game I've ever played.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
How do people get better at this game when everyone online is so freaking beastly? All these people with "5 games played" have obviously played infinitely more than that, and I can't even get a punch in edgewise before I get KO'ed. This has got to be the most hardcore online game I've ever played.
Personally, I learned with local friends who started playing at the same time.

I only play this game online when someone on my friend list asks for a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom