• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
man i started playing rtcw: et yesterday and holy crap my love of the game is starting to come back. wonder how much time it will steal from marvel.

okay I'm gonna settle on Zero/Rocket Raccoon (log trap)/Arthur (Daggers). Anybody have some experience with these guys?

There is a lot of great writeups on the arthur/rocket forums for those two characters, and they both seem to really give Zero some good support. I know in general Arthur is bad on point but great with xf3, and I really don't need x-factor for zero except for a few strange situation. I like that if he dies I have two characters with good assists and support that can help each other out somewhat.

Anywho, just wondering if some people around here have some thoughts on that lineup.

smurfx

get some go again
okay I'm gonna settle on Zero/Rocket Raccoon (log trap)/Arthur (Daggers). Anybody have some experience with these guys?

There is a lot of great writeups on the arthur/rocket forums for those two characters, and they both seem to really give Zero some good support. I know in general Arthur is bad on point but great with xf3, and I really don't need x-factor for zero except for a few strange situation. I like that if he dies I have two characters with good assists and support that can help each other out somewhat.

Anywho, just wondering if some people around here have some thoughts on that lineup.
that's a pretty low health team so work on your defense most of all.

i don't really play arthur, but i know some people would do arthur point, i.e. arthur/racoon/zero. armour up, put some projectiles up on screen and then hard tag out to zero. similar to what you'd do with hsien-ko. just something to consider.

vice said:
Analog stick is pretty easy, a very low learning curve.
i would agree, but its really much too slow, especially for a game like marvel. i see it passable in a slower game like sf4, but not in marvel.

on the topic of pads, i wonder how fanatiq really feels about the ag. i had 2 pdp pads, the ag and the 6button marvel one with the neogeo dpad, and they both broke within a month. they were good pads while they lasted, but damn they wore out so fast. to see fanatiq use a different colour ag in the 2 tournies i saw him use one in was a bit funny, like yup, he done broke his controller already.

that's a pretty low health team so work on your defense most of all.

yea, but most of the top tier teams that people use have low health so it doesn't bother me that much......i kinda figured I'd be able to zone well with all of these characters so that could sorta be my defense. even still, a big super vs. a bad assist call and i am pretty done for :\.
i don't really play arthur, but i know some people would do arthur point, i.e. arthur/racoon/zero. armour up, put some projectiles up on screen and then hard tag out to zero. similar to what you'd do with hsien-ko. just something to consider.

seems like a waste of meter in my opinion. I'd rather start out with Zero, who is gonna fly around and do all of his dumb stuff at the start of the round far better than Arthur. you do that with hsien-ko b/c she needs armor for that assist to be good, but with arthur i have a strong beam that doesn't need that much of a buff.

Bizazedo

Soo..

Since discussion has occurred about tournaments and counterpick teams, if you had to have two teams ready to go at a tournament, what would they be?

Only two teams.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
For shits and giggles, I finally decided to look at the leader boards for the game.

WTF COSMIC LORD? WTF. WHATTT WTF. I'm having trouble with 9th lords you tellin me fuckin cosmic lords? ugh.

Anyway so I look at numero uno in the world, Some guy from Mexico I guess, has played like 9 games and is leading the pack by 10K+ points. sup wit dat.

Also, if I wanted to get really good at this game, what should I do? Watch videos? Buy guides? buy a fight stick? Buy MK9? Wat do.

Well a regular here, smurfx, used to be a Cosmic Lord.

little-known fact

How do people get better at this game when everyone online is so freaking beastly? All these people with "5 games played" have obviously played infinitely more than that, and I can't even get a punch in edgewise before I get KO'ed. This has got to be the most hardcore online game I've ever played.
Play with friends, practice blocking, practice holding back, practice teching throws, practice defense, learn a basic combo into super and practice defense.

Three things:
*Practice all defensive strategies including blocking, teching and maintaining space with projectiles/assists
*Learn a basic combo into each of your characters supers and make sure that your team is set up with good DHC options(horizontal/diagonal beam supers, full screen supers and tracking supers).
*Look at your team and figure out what kind of synergy they have. Look for a team that has good assists, good THC compatibility(at least one OTG super for easy damage), solid DHC(hawkeye has a fullscreen hyper in gimlet which makes followups easy as opposed to Morrigan who is limited to ground DHCs ) options.

Solune

Soo..

Since discussion has occurred about tournaments and counterpick teams, if you had to have two teams ready to go at a tournament, what would they be?

Only two teams.

Spencer/Vergil/Doom - Day 0 Ult team - RTSD team.
Zero/Hulk/Dante - Alt Zero team, can defend Zero using both Anti-Air assists and use Zero's projectiles to control space.

JeTmAn81

How do people get better at this game when everyone online is so freaking beastly? All these people with "5 games played" have obviously played infinitely more than that, and I can't even get a punch in edgewise before I get KO'ed. This has got to be the most hardcore online game I've ever played.

I feel bad for people who started playing this game recently. I started on day 1 of vanilla when people didn't really know the game yet and got to level up more gradually over time. I basically have no one to play with offline, and I think if I had to start learning this game from the beginning today, with only online players to contend with, it would be very frustrating.

Also, my two tournament teams currently would be Dante/Doom/Strider and Hulk/Deadpool/Doom. The first is my main, second is my counterpick team for blowing up button-happy rushdown.

LakeEarth

Having a team that can DHC well into each other is a HUGE boon to any team. I know that's obvious, but I swear my win percentage went way up just because I could always spend the meter to put a character away.

lol that level 3 is garbage

What!? Explain to me God's Beard how this super is garbage? Not counting what it takes to get into Turnabout mode but looking just at the level 3. A very powerful super that hits everywhere on the screen and does massive damage. In what world is that garbage. A simple X-Factor counter level 3 super kills 3/4ths of the cast instantly. The animation takes a lot of time so it is really good at wasting your opponents X-Factor time if you wanna blow three bars for it.

Vice

Soo..

Only two teams.

Wolv or Cap/Wesker/Akuma - Kill. Kill. Kill.

Cap/Doom/Sent - Just sitting back and whittling away with missiles, drones and shield slashes until I get a hit confirm.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Play with friends, practice blocking, practice holding back, practice teching throws, practice defense, learn a basic combo into super and practice defense.

Three things:
*Practice all defensive strategies including blocking, teching and maintaining space with projectiles/assists
*Learn a basic combo into each of your characters supers and make sure that your team is set up with good DHC options(horizontal/diagonal beam supers, full screen supers and tracking supers).
*Look at your team and figure out what kind of synergy they have. Look for a team that has good assists, good THC compatibility(at least one OTG super for easy damage), solid DHC(hawkeye has a fullscreen hyper in gimlet which makes followups easy as opposed to Morrigan who is limited to ground DHCs ) options.

I can do basic combos into supers, that's not the issue. The issue is actually getting the chance to pull off the combo in a match. I never know when it's safe to go in, when I should hang back, etc... I think my defense is lacking, as you say. Even when I do go in and get a few hits in, I can't convert it into a combo because I never know when a hit is going to connect so I don't have my combo ready to go.

JeTmAn81 said:
I feel bad for people who started playing this game recently. I started on day 1 of vanilla when people didn't really know the game yet and got to level up more gradually over time. I basically have no one to play with offline, and I think if I had to start learning this game from the beginning today, with only online players to contend with, it would be very frustrating.

Lol thanks, that makes me feel better. :p

For your team I would stick with Missle. I really don't know your characters that well. I would think Break the Witness assist would be too similar to HK assist and Paper also doesn't seem to do much either, but again I don't know those characters very well. I think Missile is bet used when trying to create unblockables and mix ups. It's not a very good projectile and creates only a slight hit stun on the opponent.

I use Missile for my team (PW/Hulk/Wesker) becuase

1. Makes some easy unblockables with Hulk, especially on incoming characters if you can get the distance and timing right. A simple Missile assist and Hulk J.S timed togather with a Wesker gunshot relaunch turns into huge damage.

2. Hulk can relaunch with missile after using gamma wave H in the corner

3. Hulk can combo after a command grab using missile and then gamma charging forward into S.

4. Missile can lead to some Wesker teleport shenanigans

If you ever want practice or in game advice my PSN is SlasherMcGirk.

Alright, cool! Thanks for the advice! When are you usually available to play? I'll add you later tonight.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think Magento is the swiss army knife of this game. I really think he's contending for best character in the game, I always have. And I always feel he's a character people will always gravitate to to try and find new tech because of his legacy, and thus makes him pretty good prospectively.

JeTmAn81

I think Magento is the swiss army knife of this game. I really think he's contending for best character in the game, I always have. And I always feel he's a character people will always gravitate to to try and find new tech because of his legacy, and thus makes him pretty good prospectively.

I love Magneto, but if anybody is a knife with a corkscrew and a toothpick and a scaler on it, it has to be Dante!

Saw mighty swing beat out wire grapple. How weird.
There is no move in this game called "Mighty Swing". It's "Spidey Swing".

For shits and giggles, I finally decided to look at the leader boards for the game.

WTF COSMIC LORD? WTF. WHATTT WTF. I'm having trouble with 9th lords you tellin me fuckin cosmic lords? ugh.

Anyway so I look at numero uno in the world, Some guy from Mexico I guess, has played like 9 games and is leading the pack by 10K+ points. sup wit dat.

Also, if I wanted to get really good at this game, what should I do? Watch videos? Buy guides? buy a fight stick? Buy MK9? Wat do.
Play with someone here and ask them to do a bold analysis of your play.

Cool!

Lots of practice! I told you I have 500 hours in this game, and there's a reason for it!

I love Magneto, but if anybody is a knife with a corkscrew and a toothpick and a scaler on it, it has to be Dante!
Magneto has more tools than Dante. Dante has more moves, but most of them end up just being style variants. Magneto has a counter-attack, the ability to move his opponent anywhere, an 8-way air dash, and one of the best level 1 hypers in the game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of practice! I told you I have 500 hours in this game, and there's a reason for it!

Haha and I told you that I have never put that much time into any game short of an MMO. I'll probably just try to find some newbie lobbies on Xbox Live and hang out there with other noobs until I get better. Plus I feel like some people dedicate their entire gaming time to this one game, and I have so many other games I want to play. :)

Azure J

Magneto has more tools than Dante. Dante has more moves, but most of them end up just being style variants. Magneto has a counter-attack, the ability to move his opponent anywhere, an 8-way air dash, and one of the best level 1 hypers in the game.

Pretty much, although I'd argue they're each other's counterparts on the Marvel and Capcom sides. It also helps that having both of them on one team is already absurd synergy wise.

Haha and I told you that I have never put that much time into any game short of an MMO. I'll probably just try to find some newbie lobbies on Xbox Live and hang out there with other noobs until I get better. Plus I feel like some people dedicate their entire gaming time to this one game, and I have so many other games I want to play. :)
It's definitely a game that demands your time.

Hmm I always thought so, but I think some commentators have said "Mighty Swing", so I always thought I was the one that was wrong.
The commentators are wrong. It just makes good sense that it's a copy of Spider-man's Web Swing, and since Taskmaster speaks the common vernacular he says "Spidey". He quotes all of his moves from other characters, and "Mighty" means nothing.

Pretty much, although I'd argue they're each other's counterparts on the Marvel and Capcom sides. It also helps that having both of them on one team is already absurd synergy wise.
Indeed.

JeTmAn81

I disagree with this. Almost every single one of Dante's moves is actually useful as a unique tool rather than a redundant way of doing things. For instance:

Projectiles

Hysterics - tracks the opponent
Air Play - Covers diagonal space, has durability to beat other projectiles
Drive - covers horizontal space on the ground from full screen
Crystal - covers the middle space between Dante and opponent, stays out longer
Acid Rain - anti-airs, provides self-sufficient cover for incoming mixups
Jam Session - anti-air option when quicker startup is required so does not usually grant a combo

That's just the projectiles off the top of my head. None of them could be easily substituted for another in the same situation and get the same utility. This is not to mention his nearly full screen invincible sword hit which can lead into full combos (Stinger), safe pressure and chip tools, invincible and advancing guard-immune attacks when in Devil Trigger (which also regenerates red health and boosts damage), etc. etc.

The commentators are wrong. It just makes good sense that it's a copy of Spider-man's Web Swing, and since Taskmaster speaks the common vernacular he says "Spidey". He quotes all of his moves from other characters, and "Mighty" means nothing.

"Shield Skills"
"Aim of Hawkeye"
"Mighty Swing"

Cap, Spidey, and Hawkeye don't say any of those.

JeTmAn81

Dante is free to hard rushdown. Dem slow attacks. Get wolverine/wesker in there, he's done.

I'd actually agree that one of the few tools he doesn't have is a true GTFO move. At least not on the ground, anyway. J.S and Hammer can work for that in the air. Also, Reverb Shock smacks Wolverine in the face.

I disagree with this. Almost every single one of Dante's moves is actually useful as a unique tool rather than a redundant way of doing things. For instance:

Projectiles

Hysterics - tracks the opponent
Air Play - Covers diagonal space, has durability to beat other projectiles
Drive - covers horizontal space on the ground from full screen
Crystal - covers the middle space between Dante and opponent, stays out longer
Acid Rain - anti-airs, provides self-sufficient cover for incoming mixups
Jam Session - anti-air option when quicker startup is required so does not usually grant a combo

That's just the projectiles off the top of my head. None of them could be easily substituted for another in the same situation and get the same utility. This is not to mention his nearly full screen invincible sword hit which can lead into full combos (Stinger), safe pressure and chip tools, invincible and advancing guard-immune attacks when in Devil Trigger (which also regenerates red health and boosts damage), etc. etc.
I didn't say they aren't useful for different things, only that they aren't so different in their nature. For example, Hysterics, Air Play, and Drive are all projectiles that you pretty much only want to use at 3/4ths to full screen to either set up a teleport crossup or play keepaway. They all play a similar role in his matches. Then there are the several moves like Volcano, Bee Hive, Million Carats, etc. that are pretty much combo-only moves. In fact, I'd wager that if anyone counted them, half of his moves - roughly - are only useful in combos.

If you remove the "combo" moves, Dante isn't nearly as versatile as he seems. Magneto is far more versatile because his moves all have vastly different uses.

"Shield Skills"
"Aim of Hawkeye"
"Mighty Swing"

Cap, Spidey, and Hawkeye don't say any of those.
Goddamn, that's a pretty huge gust of wind that just went over your head.

To be fair, Magneto's counter is hot garbage. I get so salty when it triggers and they can block it.
I disagree. It has its uses, but you need to be confident when you use it. What's surprising is when people use it and wait for a hit confirmation. If it hits, you cancel into Magnetic Shockwave. If it whiffs, you cancel into Magnetic Shockwave!

JeTmAn81

To be fair, Magneto's counter is hot garbage. I get so salty when it triggers and they can block it.

We should make a list of top moves that only get used by accident. I would include Wesker's normal counters, Deadpool's level 3 counter move, Taskmaster's regular counters....hmm. Maybe counters need some fixing.

Wesker's normal counters rule! So much less recovery than Magneto's, and better follow-ups.
I disagree. It has its uses, but you need to be confident when you use it. What's surprising is when people use it and wait for a hit confirmation. If it hits, you cancel into Magnetic Shockwave. If it whiffs, you cancel into Magnetic Shockwave!

But it's not really good enough to break blockstrings, and his jab is a better anti-air anyway. I guess you could use it to clear astral vision fireballs, but then he sits there for 50 frames.

We should make a list of top moves that only get used by accident. I would include Wesker's normal counters, Deadpool's level 3 counter move, Taskmaster's regular counters....hmm. Maybe counters need some fixing.
Outside of a handful of matchups, Dr. Strange has the worst counter in the game. It guarantees your death. Counters in general don't need fixing, they HAVE to be high risk. Otherwise it will be a turtling game filled with counters.

Grecco

When i used Wesker, id use this proyectile counter plenty..... his other 2 suck

Same with task, his proyectile counter can see use.

Grecco

Also i think 645 might know. Where is the best place to buy an Asus Monitor like they use at Evo? I want to pick one up to practice for next year.

It's kinda cool that Magneto's L counter is 3 frames, but if I'm gonna spend a bar anyway, I feel a lot better using his snapback, which is safe on block.

Outside of a handful of matchups, Dr. Strange has the worst counter in the game. It guarantees your death. Counters in general don't need fixing, they HAVE to be high risk. Otherwise it will be a turtling game filled with counters.

I say a couple frames of startup invincibility and more recovery to balance it out.

Tirael

And I always feel he's a character people will always gravitate to to try and find new tech because of his legacy, and thus makes him pretty good prospectively.

lolz

You know, I think everyone in this game has something unique that only they have. And I don't mean like, "fastest normal move" or whatever. Anything on a sliding scale is out. I'm talking like, Frank's level-up mechanic, Vergil having the only Level 4, Phoenix having the only level 5, Wright's evidence-gathering, Iron Fist's chi, Strange having a projectile counter super, Dormammu's Dark Spells, etc. What are some of you guy's favorite UNIQUE things characters have?

I say a couple frames of startup invincibility and more recovery to balance it out.
You're not talking about Strange, are you? If so, I don't think you know the move's frame data.

lolz

You know, I think everyone in this game has something unique that only they have. And I don't mean like, "fastest normal move" or whatever. Anything on a sliding scale is out. I'm talking like, Frank's level-up mechanic, Vergil having the only Level 4, Phoenix having the only level 5, Wright's evidence-gathering, Iron Fist's chi, Strange having a projectile counter super, Dormammu's Dark Spells, etc. What are some of you guy's favorite UNIQUE things characters have?
My favorites are Dormammu's Dark Spells and Morrigan's fly-cancel. I also love Skrull's command grabs and Hsien-ko's hyper armor. Hsien-ko is actually one of my favorite characters. I LOVE her playstyle, she just needs to be faster and I'd be happy with her. I can use her reasonably well now. It's amazing how many teams she just shuts down. There's no such thing as a teleport cross-up against Hsien-ko, because your assist never arrives to help you out!
Holy shit, I'm talking up Hsien-ko!

Also, I'll say that both Hsien-ko/Strange/Doom and Hsien-ko/Strange/Morrigan are fantastic teams that I have had a lot of success with. The Doom team is especially good, and both solve her mobility issues by letting her Senpu Bu across the screen.

What you say is what I refer to when saying that SFIV characters are boring. They have nothing like this.

Edit:
Just found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKZYsnZ_ucQ

Look for when Hsien-ko uses Rimoukon.

You're not talking about Strange, are you? If so, I don't think you know the move's frame data.
I meant normal counters in general.

lolz

Hyper Grav

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom