• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frantic

You know, I think everyone in this game has something unique that only they have. And I don't mean like, "fastest normal move" or whatever. Anything on a sliding scale is out. I'm talking like, Frank's level-up mechanic, Vergil having the only Level 4, Phoenix having the only level 5, Wright's evidence-gathering, Iron Fist's chi, Strange having a projectile counter super, Dormammu's Dark Spells, etc. What are some of you guy's favorite UNIQUE things characters have?
Bold Blocking. "I threw out a normal, and you threw out a super? Nah, didn't happen."

Azure J

Dante is free to hard rushdown. Dem slow attacks. Get wolverine/wesker in there, he's done.

Seriously. At the same time though, it feels really good when you get your space and stop rushdown monsters with a Crystal. It feels like an old cartoon with a chase scene that ends with the aggressor flattening out against a wall. :lol

I'd actually agree that one of the few tools he doesn't have is a true GTFO move. At least not on the ground, anyway. J.S and Hammer can work for that in the air. Also, Reverb Shock smacks Wolverine in the face.

He'd legitimately be derp if he had even one good full screen/horizontal "Gotcha bitch" kinda attack imo.

Reverb shock is so beast. It's like blanka's electricity times a million.

I just love the animation for the attack so much. It's one of those things that feels so good to see when it's just let loose, especially off of Stinger.

lolz

You know, I think everyone in this game has something unique that only they have. And I don't mean like, "fastest normal move" or whatever. Anything on a sliding scale is out. I'm talking like, Frank's level-up mechanic, Vergil having the only Level 4, Phoenix having the only level 5, Wright's evidence-gathering, Iron Fist's chi, Strange having a projectile counter super, Dormammu's Dark Spells, etc. What are some of you guy's favorite UNIQUE things characters have?

I think I'm with Karst in that Dark Spells are the coolest individual mechanic in this game. On a technical level, Bold Move is fun because it never really feels like you've maxed out the potential for Dante when you haven't used that option in a match. I'm also madly in love with meter moves like Morrigan's Soul Drain and Felicia's EX Charge. Also, I don't know if this counts but I really really love Phoenix's traps in Dark Phoenix mode. I wish if there was a way to reach harmony between how absurd hard hitting they are and how visually satisfying they are to see as the player that put them out there.

Frantic

He'd legitimately be derp if he had even one good full screen/horizontal "Gotcha bitch" kinda attack imo.
Give Dante a straight forward Lightning Bolt on the ground in Devil Trigger. Alternatively, give him Pandora's Laser Cannon mode from DMC4. Can fire it straight forward, or hold the button to aim it up and down so he can shoot some beams at people in the air.

Also, Capcom, give him Real Impact as a Hado-Shoryuken like move in that it's slow on startup but super invincible/damaging.

Yay, I can get a dirt nap off a raw tag on incoming characters now!

air tag to Magneto -> Magneto infinite kill -> raw tag to X-23 -> call hidden missiles -> uppercut M xx talon attack L, H xx Neck Slice L xx Dirt Nap :-D

lvl 1 x-factor after dirt nap: meterless kill
dirt nap final character on incoming, DHC for final kill ^_^

So basically, if I can get a TAC, I can win the round.

The game.

:-(

Azure J

I'm a game audio type person myself, but I do like having iTunes blaring in the background when I'm just playing training mode. Need my animu/chill hop/Soil & Pimp Sessions/TV & Movie soundtracks to help the mad scientist mood out. :p

I've never listened to anything but the game I am playing. I don't understand the mentality.

Me too, sometimes the sound effects help me with combos and opponent's assist calls and such.

And I agree, Karst and Azure, Dark Spells are awesome. Is there any one character that DOESN'T have something unique to them? Hard to think of one...
It depends on how hard you want to stretch "unique".

Challenge accepted.

GT: Ceph Razor

DO YOUR WORST EVOGAF
Haha, I'm on PSN. But good luck!

Oh yeah, a new level of Dante BS I experienced recently:
A Dante player was superjumping to prevent my Dormammu rushdown, so I teleported behind him. He did j.S right when I did this, and it hit me from behind. This was mid-screen.

A Dante player was superjumping to prevent my Dormammu rushdown, so I teleported behind him. He did j.S right when I did this, and it hit me from behind. This was mid-screen.

Yeah, I think everyone has had that happen to them once or twice. :|

Frantic

It's because this game takes hitboxes to a very literal level. The first active frames start when he's holding his sword straight out behind his head, so he can catch people really far behind his head with j.S. It's useful against flight + tridash characters, or teleport characters like Strider, Dorm, or Dante himself.

It's pretty dumb though, and I don't really get it myself. Whoever made the hitboxes in this game must have been on crack.

smurfx

get some go again
now you know how people feel when they fight dormammu. :p

Azure J

You know what's funny? I lose as a Dante player to Dantes that do this. Also, I lose my Vajra assist to j.S all day. My other new favorite thing is being unable to tech a grab out of a teleport then seeing someone else do just that when I grab their Dante.

I swear I suck at timing. That's the excuse I'll use to try and be better than "OMG SO BROKEN"! :lol

Azure J

tell me about it

You just reminded me of how bad I felt when Teleport - j.S - Hammer worked in our set of matches. I felt like a scumbag. :lol

Edit: I just got to see Sixfortyfive's stuff for his tourny scene. That promo was cool. At the same time I feel like the font for the special thanks segment needs to be a tad darker so it doesn't "kinda-sorta almost" blend in with the amber tone. Also, dat Nishimura art overlay. hnnnng

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I got hit with a Raw Lvl 4 from Vergil in XF3. I think Doom died instantly. Really can't figure out why I was pressing buttons. lol

What other character can teleport behind Dante at superjump height and be behind and above him for this experience? I know it has a hitbox behind it, but the only character that has been able to hit me with a normal, without moving, in response to my teleport before is Hulk.

Also, I may have new Firebrand tech. :)

now you know how people feel when they fight dormammu. :p
Dormammu's weakness is teleports, what are you talking about?!

okay I'm gonna settle on Zero/Rocket Raccoon (log trap)/Arthur (Daggers). Anybody have some experience with these guys?

There is a lot of great writeups on the arthur/rocket forums for those two characters, and they both seem to really give Zero some good support. I know in general Arthur is bad on point but great with xf3, and I really don't need x-factor for zero except for a few strange situation. I like that if he dies I have two characters with good assists and support that can help each other out somewhat.

Anywho, just wondering if some people around here have some thoughts on that lineup.

I feel like if you use that team you lose if you get hit first. Such low health, and I really don't know what you're going to do after Zero dies.

Also i think 645 might know. Where is the best place to buy an Asus Monitor like they use at Evo? I want to pick one up to practice for next year.

I'm going to assume Fry's.

P.S Does anyone know how Killer Kai does the bootleg lighting loops? I know he doesn't TK all of them. For the life of me I still can't do the loops on the 2P side. 1P side I can do the full legit one fine, but 2P side I just can't fucking tiger knee a DP. I'm giving up at this point and going to learn that bootleg one.

smurfx

get some go again
fry's isn't all over the country so unless he lives in a city with one then no point in recommending it. he is better off buying it from amazon.com. you can find asus monitors pretty everywhere they sell pc's like best buy, office depot.

Azure J

I just played against a really good Felicia. What moves of her's should I be looking out for to punish?

GhiXC.gif

Pray you either have the same amount of advantage or startup on your moves with little to no recovery or zone the fuck out of her. That's one cat that will never get her claws out of you.

Sixfortyfive put both the fear of God into me with her and made me kick myself for not sticking it out with her from the start.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I just played against a really good Felicia. What moves of her's should I be looking out for to punish?
- Chicken block air delta kick at very low heights to punish it.
- The slide is only punishable if she does it point blank, and even then you probably shouldn't try anything but a 1-frame throw. If she spaces it correctly then it's safe.
- The uppercut is usually unsafe unless she just barely clips you with it from max distance. (Nobody uses this move but me though.)
- There is a gap after the 9th hit of Dancing Flash (the one right before the ending uppercut) that is long enough for you to be able to interrupt. She recovers from the move immediately after landing.
- Kitty Helper has a pretty long start-up period for an activation hyper.

Generally, you should stay out of her attack angles and punish her moves by avoiding them altogether. Very few things she does are very negative on block.

Solune

lolz

Spencer's Grapple, it's used for his mobility, zoning, resets, damage. It does everything pretty much.
Give Dante a straight forward Lightning Bolt on the ground in Devil Trigger. Alternatively, give him Pandora's Laser Cannon mode from DMC4. Can fire it straight forward, or hold the button to aim it up and down so he can shoot some beams at people in the air.

Also, Capcom, give him Real Impact as a Hado-Shoryuken like move in that it's slow on startup but super invincible/damaging.
Why doesn't Dante have a true fireball like Zodiac? and why can't you charge Volcano? Even though Dante is a fantastic character and faithful to DMC3, he's still missing alot from that game. Volcano should also be performable in the air.
Very cool, thanks for the link
I feel like if you use that team you lose if you get hit first. Such low health, and I really don't know what you're going to do after Zero dies.

Zero May Cry is also a low health team, albeit more than RR/Arthur but I think it's doable. You have to be willing to make that choice though and accept the fact that if you get touched you're probably going to lose a character.

My hidden tech with Haggar/MODOK is gonna win EVO. Sponsor me now or regret it later!

Haggar combo, balloon bomb after OTG dropkick, time Hoodlum Launcher H right, let opponent reset in air, bam!

smurfx

get some go again
My hidden tech with Haggar/MODOK is gonna win EVO. Sponsor me now or regret it later!

Haggar combo, balloon bomb after OTG dropkick, time Hoodlum Launcher H right, let opponent reset in air, bam!
that's a pretty common reset actually. predat0r does it with weskers gun shot.

Frantic

Why doesn't Dante have a true fireball like Zodiac? and why can't you charge Volcano? Even though Dante is a fantastic character and faithful to DMC3, he's still missing alot from that game. Volcano should also be performable in the air.
Air Volcano would be so good, just because it'd allow Dante to convert off his airthrows without having to time a Volcano the frame he lands.

Azure J

It's because this game takes hitboxes to a very literal level. The first active frames start when he's holding his sword straight out behind his head, so he can catch people really far behind his head with j.S. It's useful against flight + tridash characters, or teleport characters like Strider, Dorm, or Dante himself.

It's pretty dumb though, and I don't really get it myself. Whoever made the hitboxes in this game must have been on crack.

I'm mad that I didn't see this post before. In training mode, do a dash over j.H then immediately on hit press S. My mind was blown out of my ass when I saw what happened next.

Now if only it comboed... :lol

Zero May Cry is also a low health team, albeit more than RR/Arthur but I think it's doable. You have to be willing to make that choice though and accept the fact that if you get touched you're probably going to lose a character.

I feel like Dark Vergil can come back 3vs1 or if you run Mihe's version Vergil + Jam session is also really good. Not to mention if Zero dies at least you have meter for Spiral Swords.

With that team he listed, I'm not really sure what Raccoon + Arthur assist really do if Zero gets owned early. Dark Arthur might be scary, but I feel like the armor thing is such a liability, and of course he isn't anywhere as scary as Vergil.

Not to mention with ZmC Zero can get anywhere from 650-750k of damage before lighting loops. With Zero, Raccoon, Arthur I'll be surprise if he can get to 650K before lighting loops.

Solune

I feel like Dark Vergil can come back 3vs1 or if you run Mihe's version Vergil + Jam session is also really good. Not to mention if Zero dies at least you have meter for Spiral Swords.

With that team he listed, I'm not really sure what Raccoon + Arthur assist really do if Zero gets owned early. Dark Arthur might be scary, but I feel like the armor thing is such a liability, and of course he isn't anywhere as scary as Vergil.

Not to mention with ZmC Zero can get anywhere from 650-750k of damage before lighting loops. With Zero, Raccoon, Arthur I'll be surprise if he can get to 650K before lighting loops.

To be honest I haven't fought nearly enough good Raccoons or Arthurs but I feel that Raccoon backed by Arthur would not be a bad team. I can't argue the merits of Zero May Cry vs Z/RR/Arthur because I know nothing really of the latter team.

I agree that Arthur isn't as scary as anchor Vergil, but he's still very dangerous in the right hands, especially with that X-Factor lockdown.

Also Zero gets 650K with Log Trap Assist if you start with an L. Zero breaking 650k is no sweat as long as he has one assist that allows him to get that third relaunch combo.

I should also Note: Zero get's combos off of throws with Arthur Daggers.

Well, at least in theory, the synergy is there for Zero/Rocket/Arthur.

Zero
-LOG
-Daggers are not a bad assist either for Zero I guess.
-Sougenmu->spring trap should be a safe DHC to get Zero out of trouble
-Machine gun->Sougenmu can setup lightning loops? Not sure but I feel the possibility is there :T
-Should easily DHC with Arthur too

Rocket
-Sougenmu'd Hadangeki assist helps him get in and maybe helps with unblockable setups too? I honestly have never tried Rocket/Zero, Zero is always dead before Rocky comes in.
-Daggers lock down for unblockable setup and help him get in I think
-Good DHCs with the rest of the team

Arthur
-LOG...can he convert anything out it with his lack of dash though? I dunno.
-...Ok I never use Arthur so I have no fucking clue how he'd benefit from the others but he's likely gonna be XF3 anchor so whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom