• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I had a dream that MSH2 was announced. Teams of 3, but two of the characters were assist only, so it was more like a crazy 1v1 fight. They only announced 8 characters, among whom were some staples and Psylocke. All I remember is being anxious about whether Dormammu would make it in.

any tron players here? I just cant in with her vs zero or FW
As a rule, if you want matchup help, you need to post your whole team.

Ugh, ended up putting Sentinel back on my team.
It's a hard crutch to get over. I spent the first 6 months using Sentinel on my team. After dropping him, within a month I felt the need to put him back in, was reminded of how terrible he is, and put him away again. I tried putting him on point another month later and got the same results.

I never said I was using Arthur. When did I say that? I was using Joe/Wesker/Ammy, but Ammy has been losing me the majority of my games, so I switched her out.
Haha, so it's basically Wesker/Sentinel, featuring Viewtiful Joe as a cameo? ;-)

any tron players here? I just cant in with her vs zero or FW

You'll need assists to get in on these - Tron generally has huge problems getting in reliably in Ultimate (ohai jH nerf). If you can tell us what your other characters are, and in which positions you play them, it'd be easy for us to determine which assists would work with Tron.

Booter

I spent the first 6 months using Sentinel on my team. After dropping him, within a month I felt the need to put him back in, was reminded of how terrible he is, and put him away again.

just out of curiosity, how many sentinels were there in evo 2012 umvc3 top 8?

JeTmAn81

Ugh, ended up putting Sentinel back on my team.

I've got a Sentinel team now, with Magneto (Disruptor)/Dante (Crystal, so my sucky Magneto can combo into Tempest easily)/Sentinel (Drones). I still really suck with Sentinel, but more than ever I feel how much that's my fault. He's not a great character, but you can do well with him if you play intelligently. Anyway, that team's just for practicing Magneto, but when he gets tagged out, do you know how good Dante is with Disruptor and Drones backing him? Oh yeah. So good.

sent is a good character. out of the big characters, he can certainly edge out the hulk for a spot on a team merely due to how good his assist is, even if hulk may be better on point. sentinel probably had one of the biggest rollercoaster rides on the tier lists over the span of the game. with the infinite, he's probably up there again. both of them are certainly miles above nemesis, in any case.

i actually really enjoy sentinel the way he plays in this game. i don't really like him much as a character though (i blame the 90's x-men cartoon).

vg260

sent is a good character. out of the big characters, he can certainly edge out the hulk for a spot on a team merely due to how good his assist is, even if hulk may be better on point. sentinel probably had one of the biggest rollercoaster rides on the tier lists over the span of the game. with the infinite, he's probably up there again. both of them are certainly miles above nemesis, in any case.

i actually really enjoy sentinel the way he plays in this game. i don't really like him much as a character though (i blame the 90's x-men cartoon).

I still hate the character pick, but am ok with his implementation in the game. I'm so glad they corrected his health in Vanilla.

I only recently listened to the Shoryuken podcast with the guide writing team where they said they knew his health reduction patch was already in the works before the game shipped, and they just couldn't get it into the guide in time.

In retrospect, it's pretty funny how people were flipping out about it being a knee-jerk reaction to online community complaints, especially that article on Shoryuken. It's also become well-known now how slow it is for a patch to go through the submission process.

That new Firebrand tech seems like a no-go. Apparently people are invulnerable until they reach the ground or press a button after an air tech. I thought air tech -> Bon Voyage might work during Luminous Body, but I just pass right through my opponent. Still good for maintaining pressure, though.

Azure J

LMFAO

Took from Jebailey's twitter.

So is this like the second on stream Merry Christmas in the history of Marvel 3? I also love the ending quote, Tron is the baddest chick in the series. Controls Phoenix in high level situations, ruins Christmas and don't afraid of anything (except 8ing's balancing).

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
GGs DD-11. I obviously still have a lot of work left to do, especially on my defense lol. Need to learn how to block better, and I really, really need to learn how to hit confirm into combos. I also kept dropping my hypers with Morrigan because of this dumb controller, although I got the hang of it towards our last few games. I also need to practice X-23's wall jump, as it never came out when I wanted it to.

Those games were fun though, and I only wish I knew more characters so I could choose different teams. That's what training mode is for though!

GGs DD-11. I obviously still have a lot of work left to do, especially on my defense lol. Need to learn how to block better, and I really, really need to learn how to hit confirm into combos. I also kept dropping my hypers with Morrigan because of this dumb controller, although I got the hang of it towards our last few games. I also need to practice X-23's wall jump, as it never came out when I wanted it to.

Those games were fun though, and I only wish I knew more characters so I could choose different teams. That's what training mode is for though!
IMO, once you get the flow of the game down, you can use most characters with very little practice at a respectable level for casual play. I perfected a ton of people on my very first day of Spencer, but that's because I've been watching Spencer play for the last year, and have a good handle on the general game mechanics.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
IMO, once you get the flow of the game down, you can use most characters with very little practice at a respectable level for casual play. I perfected a ton of people on my very first day of Spencer, but that's because I've been watching Spencer play for the last year, and have a good handle on the general game mechanics.

Yeahhhh...when I play new characters I tend to just mash buttons and hope something cool comes out. I tried playing Iron Man and Dr. Doom in our set but I think I just basically resorted to shooting infinite Unibeams and Doom lasers until he closed me down lol. Once I get the hang of the game though, who knows.

Haha, so it's basically Wesker/Sentinel, featuring Viewtiful Joe as a cameo? ;-)

:(

The team is at least making me utilize Slow more often. There are no beam assist characters that I feel confident in using. so my zoning is subpar with Joe; but I also have no real "get off me" assist, so I have to resort to that zoning if I'm faced with someone like Wolverine.

I'm too big of a fan of Viewtiful Joe to give him up, though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

You can't do the wall jump from a super jump, could be that was the thing that went wrong. Really want to play someone close to my level at the moment and don't feel like playing regular ranked or player matches.

JeTmAn81

My brother just got a Vita and UMVC3 is on its way. I am so jelly. :lol

You talk about your brother so much it's almost like he's a member. Why don't you get him to get an account and start posting back and forth about your furious offline battles? Also, get him to play online with us.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You can't do the wall jump from a super jump, could be that was the thing that went wrong. Really want to play someone close to my level at the moment and don't feel like playing regular ranked or player matches.

I wasn't doing a super jump, just a regular jump. I think I was just not doing it quickly enough.

Unless...do I have to be up against the very edge of the stage? Or can it just be at the edge of the screen?

Tobe

You talk about your brother so much it's almost like he's a member. Why don't you get him to get an account and start posting back and forth about your furious offline battles? Also, get him to play online with us.

dont you get like in trouble for posting with different accounts with the same ip or something.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
dont you get like in trouble for posting with different accounts with the same ip or something.
No, Cloudius and SephirothRK I believe are brothers. Also mods have gone on record saying no.

Plus I think AzureJericho needs XBL Gold himself before we start begging his brother :p

My brother just got a Vita and UMVC3 is on its way. I am so jelly. :lol
Why did he get that instead of a PS3? -_-

Indeed!

Not to my knowledge. My wife has an account here, and I've even accidentally posted on it before (not noticed she was logged in instead of me). I would hope that GAF moderators are reasonable about these things. What is reasonably bannable is two people sharing an account, not two people sharing an IP.

No, Cloudius and SephirothRK I believe are brothers. Also mods have gone on record saying no.

Plus I think AzureJericho needs XBL Gold himself before we start begging his brother :p
Indeed, Cloudius and SephirothRK are brothers.

smurfx

get some go again
your wife posts here? what is her name? maybe i've seen her around. there shouldn't be a problem with 2 people posting under the same ip. hell a mod did the same thing with her boyfriend and only got in trouble because the boyfriend started modding under her name as well.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
your wife posts here? what is her name? maybe i've seen her around. there shouldn't be a problem with 2 people posting under the same ip. hell a mod did the same thing with her boyfriend and only got in trouble because the boyfriend started modding under her name as well.

That's different since they were sharing one account.

She posts very infrequently and is still a junior. Her account name is Aieyla. Our account names both come from our WoW names we used to raid together under. I doubt you've noticed her posting, haha.

Tron - Gustaff

Nova - Nova Strike

Hulk - Wave

Dorm - Dark Hole
Zero's thing is that he usually travels in the air, and his dashes are not safe. When I used to play Sentinel on point, I stomped a lot of Zeros by superjumping with him into j.M. I expect you can do something similar with Tron. Follow Zero into the air whenever he goes up, and attack ASAP. At worst, he blocks and you cancel into something else. At best, a dead Zero.

Be willing to blow X-Factor to kill Zero. It's pretty much always worth it.

Don't be afraid to swap it up for odd matchups. Hulk's anti-air Gamma Charge is a much, much better assist to use against Zero. He generally isn't on the ground enough for Gamma Wave to matter.

If you can get him in a blockstring and have a few bars of meter, try doing Servbot Surprise, DHC to Takedown, and mix Zero up before the robot appears. This will probably take some practice, but I'm almost certain that it will work. If Takedown fails to mix-up, use the Servbot's blockstun to get some high-low mix-ups in with Nova.

Nert

Anyone up for some games tonight? (360 version)

Edit: Actually, it's getting kind of late. I'm going to get caught up on Louie instead.

DD-11

Hey man, yeah that was lots of fun. Sorry I had to leave so soon, got company. Let me know any time you want some more games.

You had me in trouble with x23 and Dante on more than one occasion. I have very little match up experience against those two. You certainly caught me pushing buttons more than once.

I hear you about dropping combos, I was dropping a lot too, especially with Doom and Akuma--I'm guessing it's the transfer to online after playing offline for so long.

I need to get more comfortable with my characters too--especially my nova, frank, akuma team haha. After Hulk and Strange, I don't have much.

Azure J

Q (mostly for Karst): Dante/Dormammu/Magneto or Dormammu/Dante/Magneto? I'm trying to see the pros and cons to each while wondering if there's a secret to team order here or if either order's cool and I should switch only for matchup's sake.

Fucking Helm Breakers. Just when I think they're not going to do another one, I rush them and they do another one and it hits. It's like clockwork at this point.

smurfx

get some go again
Fucking Helm Breakers. Just when I think they're not going to do another one, I rush them and they do another one and it hits. It's like clockwork at this point.
that's capcoms way of punishing for not using a dmc character. i always seemed to get caught by vergils since it comes out so freaking fast.

Bizazedo

Zero's thing is that he usually travels in the air, and his dashes are not safe. When I used to play Sentinel on point, I stomped a lot of Zeros by superjumping with him into j.M. I expect you can do something similar with Tron. Follow Zero into the air whenever he goes up, and attack ASAP. At worst, he blocks and you cancel into something else. At best, a dead Zero.

Be willing to blow X-Factor to kill Zero. It's pretty much always worth it.

Don't be afraid to swap it up for odd matchups. Hulk's anti-air Gamma Charge is a much, much better assist to use against Zero. He generally isn't on the ground enough for Gamma Wave to matter.

If you can get him in a blockstring and have a few bars of meter, try doing Servbot Surprise, DHC to Takedown, and mix Zero up before the robot appears. This will probably take some practice, but I'm almost certain that it will work. If Takedown fails to mix-up, use the Servbot's blockstun to get some high-low mix-ups in with Nova.

I agree with all of this except for blowing X-factor to kill Zero. Maybe if you need to to land the initial hit, but after your combo starts, you should have a good enough combo to kill without X-factor. He has no life.

If y'don't, you have bigger problems than Zero.

Apparently Fanatiq discovered a C. Viper infinite last night.

Also, proof that the PS3 version drops inputs?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjbwcmKfkcY

Hypothetically, what would work better: Joe/Akuma/Wesker, or Joe/Wesker/Akuma? I'm leaning towards the latter.
Joe/Wesker/Akuma is superior. Akuma gets absolutely nothing from the OTG assist as far as I know, while the tatsu is amazing for Wesker. Both are competent anchors, so that's the deciding factor for me.

Q (mostly for Karst): Dante/Dormammu/Magneto or Dormammu/Dante/Magneto? I'm trying to see the pros and cons to each while wondering if there's a secret to team order here or if either order's cool and I should switch only for matchup's sake.
I would put Dante first, but keep your eyes option for good opportunities to put Dormammu in. That's arguably one of the best Dormammu teams in the game, but starting him is just miserable against a lot of team compositions. Either DHC him in through a combo or Devil Trigger. I assume Dante is on Jam Session like he should be.

Learn Dormammu's jump loop off of EMD so you can use Jam Session for more creative combos.

I am not for Karst!
I love you too.

I agree with all of this except for blowing X-factor to kill Zero. Maybe if you need to to land the initial hit, but after your combo starts, you should have a good enough combo to kill without X-factor. He has no life.

If y'don't, you have bigger problems than Zero.
I was talking about getting the first hit, no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom