• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

Fucking Helm Breakers. Just when I think they're not going to do another one, I rush them and they do another one and it hits. It's like clockwork at this point.

At this point, I've invested myself in not doing anything when one is in startup. The fewer attempts at punishes or dash under attempts, the fewer times I get Helm Broken by Vergil's ass (that hit box is fucking wild) or get Killer Bee'd/Hammer'd by Dante (the former of which caught me off guard nearly consistently because who goes into Killer Bee off a Helm Splitter anyway? :lol)

I would put Dante first, but keep your eyes option for good opportunities to put Dormammu in. That's arguably one of the best Dormammu teams in the game, but starting him is just miserable against a lot of team compositions. Either DHC him in through a combo or Devil Trigger. I assume Dante is on Jam Session like he should be.

Learn Dormammu's jump loop off of EMD so you can use Jam Session for more creative combos.

Good stuff, thanks. :)

I'm also wondering, I've been trying to get down Dorm's fly combo and wondering if there's something I'm missing. What I think is supposed to work is:

[whatever] - j.H - Fly - j.L - j.H - Dark Hole L - j.H - Dark Hole L - j.S

But I can't ever seem to get to the second flight mode j.H before they fall out. Any tips?

A couple variations on the standard Magneto norcal BnB I came up with:

Clean hit point variant:
jS, HS, jH adf jH xx Magnetic Blast L, dash S, jH adf jH xx flight, LH adf jH adf jH adf jH add jHS(cancels flight), H xx Hyper Grav L, A2(Hidden Missiles), HS, jMMHS, missiles OTG, S, box dash jS, A1(Ankle Slicer) + Hyper Grav L xx Magnetic Tempest
856,000 damage

solo height management rapid cancel variant:
jS, HS, jH adf jH xx Magnetic Blast L, dash S, jH adf jH xx flight, LH aduf jMMH aduf jH aduf jH aduf jH aduf jH aduf jHS, Gravity squeeze, dash forward S, jHS
961,000 damage

They both work off of any standard hit confirm(take off 30-80k depending on starting hits). The norcal BnB is basically the most practical Magneto combo for most situations. About 90% screen carry, incredibly malleable and confirmable while in line with his max damage BnBs at a fraction of the execution requirement. Can segue into the EMP and hyper grav loops in the corner for higher damage output. There's very little incentive to use any other framework for your BnBs. Here's the notation for the skeleton:

Norcal BnB:
LMHS, jH adf jH xx Magnetic Blast L, dash S, jH adf jH xx flight, LH adf jH adf jH adf jH add jHS(cancels flight), H xx Hyper Grav L xx Magnetic Tempest
720,000 damage

• The key is height management. When you relaunch into flight mode, if they're too high, you have to do a combo like my second variant to get damage without hyper gravs.
  • At normal heights, space out your jH cancels so they drop into standing H range.
  • It's important to dash or wait after the magnetic blast to keep from launching them too high. Hyper grav variants will always be better than rapid cancel variants.

I need someone to play against.

I'm also wondering, I've been trying to get down Dorm's fly combo and wondering if there's something I'm missing. What I think is supposed to work is:

[whatever] - j.H - Fly - j.L - j.H - Dark Hole L - j.H - Dark Hole L - j.S

But I can't ever seem to get to the second flight mode j.H before they fall out. Any tips?
You can only get one Dark Hole in the combo. The second Dark Hole only works in TAC combos.

Azure J

I need someone to play against.

You can only get one Dark Hole in the combo. The second Dark Hole only works in TAC combos.

Ohhhhh OK, but just for clarification's sake, everything else is OK? And this is something that can be done after a ground series if I omit the second Dark Hole?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. I was looking up Morrigan combos on Shoryuken and came across this good combo that I decided to practice. The whole thing was pretty complicated, what with fly cancels and whatnot, so I gave myself the first quarter of the combo to practice. Next thing I know I've spent an hour just drilling the first section of it and I'm fully and totally engrossed in the game. I don't think I've gotten this serious about a game in a long time lol.

Magneto: Air Hypergrav tech

Dunno if it was posted here. More for the Magnus army. lol

cowboysmile5zb33.gif

Wow. I was looking up Morrigan combos on Shoryuken and came across this good combo that I decided to practice. The whole thing was pretty complicated, what with fly cancels and whatnot, so I gave myself the first quarter of the combo to practice. Next thing I know I've spent an hour just drilling the first section of it and I'm fully and totally engrossed in the game. I don't think I've gotten this serious about a game in a long time lol.

Marvel consumes you and all games in it's path. Watch out highly anticipated release and you too ever growing backlog! Girlfriends, work and your general well being are at stake. You too can fall victim to Marvel's engrossingly addictive gameplay.

4caaf0bf886389ac7c5aed5c6b3fdca9.jpg

Azure J

Sounds like when I was first playing except replace fly cancels with bold cancels. :p

It's a nonstop trip to see what you can pick up on or do differently from here on.

Ayo, a few things:
1) Keep practicing your combos. I think you would have won more of those matches if my characters died when you hit me.
2) You're amazing at throwing me.
3) I think your team largely lacks synergy.
4) Pushblock more and take it slow against a character like Firebrand. He's actually not very good at opening people up solo, but you have to block a lot.

Ohhhhh OK, but just for clarification's sake, everything else is OK? And this is something that can be done after a ground series if I omit the second Dark Hole?
Yup!

Marvel does that to you, haha. Morrigan's combos are so stylish, I think she's the most freestyling character past Magneto in terms of combo flow.

Are you gonna be available to play later? I'd play now, but it's way too fucking hot at the moment.
Depends on how "later". Once my wife gets home, I typically stop because we do stuff together.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Marvel consumes you and all games in it's path. Watch out highly anticipated release and you too ever growing backlog! Girlfriends, work and your general well being are at stake. You too can fall victim to Marvel's engrossingly addictive gameplay.

4caaf0bf886389ac7c5aed5c6b3fdca9.jpg

LOL that picture is creepy yet funny. What is it from?

I really hope I don't get that serious about this game haha; it was meant to be a fun diversion until the big fall games start coming out. And yet, here I am seriously considering getting an arcade stick. I'm actually probably getting DOA5 when it comes out too, so it might be worth the investment.

AzureJericho said:
Sounds like when I was first playing except replace fly cancels with bold cancels. :p

What's a bold cancel?

I was going to say later this evening, but it looks like that's out of the question. Maybe next time.
Sure thing.

LOL that picture is creepy yet funny. What is it from?
Starship Troopers.

I really hope I don't get that serious about this game haha; it was meant to be a fun diversion until the big fall games start coming out. And yet, here I am seriously considering getting an arcade stick. I'm actually probably getting DOA5 when it comes out too, so it might be worth the investment.
It can't be helped!

What's a bold cancel?
Using Dante's Bold (Atk+S) to cancel the recovery on a move.

hypernima

Banned
Ayo, a few things:
1) Keep practicing your combos. I think you would have won more of those matches if my characters died when you hit me.
2) You're amazing at throwing me.
3) I think your team largely lacks synergy.
4) Pushblock more and take it slow against a character like Firebrand. He's actually not very good at opening people up solo, but you have to block a lot.

I honestly just choose characters I like but I can't really get things cracking with hulk in a real match. I don't know who to third. And I really have to learn longer Nova combos. My friends say that's my best character so far.

...also most of those j.S were meant to be energy javs, sorry lol.

How do I block firebrands grab? I honestly do not know how to block that thing, I tried it high and low if you noticed.

Thanks to having about 200 games or so with Biz this past week, I no longer truly fear Zero. He's still a lol once he gets rolling, but no more than any other bad one. It's like I learned bankai in 3 days or some shit.

That Nova experience has been mad helpful too -- seems like Infrit inspired some more people to pick him up, and it huuuuuuuuuuurts. Straightforward gameplan but yeesh, can't play coy at all.

Much rather fight him than a Logan or Vergil now. Once those two are out of the way, all shall be good.

I honestly just choose characters I like but I can't really get things cracking with hulk in a real match. I don't know who to third. And I really have to learn longer Nova combos. My friends say that's my best character so far.

...also most of those j.S were meant to be energy javs, sorry lol.

How do I block firebrands grab? I honestly do not know how to block that thing, I tried it high and low if you noticed.
I'm still on if you want to play more.

If you want that team to work, I'd say that Nova has to be your anchor, unquestionably. He's the only competent anchor on the team. Then you need to switch Hulk to Anti-Air Gamma Charge, because Gamma Wave isn't doing a lot for you, and I think I was able to demonstrate in our matches how very good the AA assist is. I'm hesitant to suggest you keep the team, though. The general rule of Marvel is "choose two characters you like, and one good assist". I ignore this rule, and my team suffers for it. You have to work really hard to win without a good assist.

If you mean the Firebrand attack that I do while you're pinned by Dark Hole, it's unblockable. You either need a very creative solution, or accept that you're going to get hit.

Edit: If Ayo isn't coming back, I need another battle partner.

hypernima

Banned
I'm still on if you want to play more.

If you want that team to work, I'd say that Nova has to be your anchor, unquestionably. He's the only competent anchor on the team. Then you need to switch Hulk to Anti-Air Gamma Charge, because Gamma Wave isn't doing a lot for you, and I think I was able to demonstrate in our matches how very good the AA assist is. I'm hesitant to suggest you keep the team, though. The general rule of Marvel is "choose two characters you like, and one good assist". I ignore this rule, and my team suffers for it. You have to work really hard to win without a good assist.

If you mean the Firebrand attack that I do while you're pinned by Dark Hole, it's unblockable. You either need a very creative solution, or accept that you're going to get hit.

Maybe I could use Tron/Nova/Dorm (Two characters I like and one good assist)

Oh didn't know you were ready. If more people come could we lobby?

Maybe I could use Tron/Nova/Dorm (Two characters I like and one good assist)
Dormammu has no good assists. Dark Hole is a pretty bad assist, trust me, haha. Hulk could be your good assist given the team you have, but the problem is that Hulk is a horrible anchor.

Anyway, do you want to play more or shall I find another sparring partner? Feel free to try teams out against me. I can play my team in reverse order so you have more breathing room.

hypernima

Banned
Dormammu has no good assists. Dark Hole is a pretty bad assist, trust me, haha. Hulk could be your good assist given the team you have, but the problem is that Hulk is a horrible anchor.

Anyway, do you want to play more or shall I find another sparring partner? Feel free to try teams out against me. I can play my team in reverse order so you have more breathing room.

I'll probably catch you later, niece is begging for Disney Junior.

Azure J

Marvel does that to you, haha. Morrigan's combos are so stylish, I think she's the most freestyling character past Magneto in terms of combo flow.

I agree, but stop it, you're going to make me hate neglecting the succubus even more. :(

What's a bold cancel?

Basically, pressing ATK + S for Dante's Bold Move then inputting another special move before the jump animation usually done after a Stinger. It's the basis for a lot of Dante's most potent game plans and combo extensions in this game.

Thanks to having about 200 games or so with Biz this past week, I no longer truly fear Zero. He's still a lol once he gets rolling, but no more than any other bad one. It's like I learned bankai in 3 days or some shit.

That Nova experience has been mad helpful too -- seems like Infrit inspired some more people to pick him up, and it huuuuuuuuuuurts. Straightforward gameplan but yeesh, can't play coy at all.

Much rather fight him than a Logan or Vergil now. Once those two are out of the way, all shall be good.

Nova is terrifying. He's analogous to an aerial Wolverine to me. When the grown man comes to town all I can do is pray for one derp move to punish or to get the assist while he's chillin' in the air. :lol

GGs Karst. Sorry if you left because my connection randomly derped out on me. >_<
GGs. I left because it derped out on you, in your words, and your teams were progressively becoming closer and closer to the ideal "counterpick Karst" team that pisses me off. I had a reasonably enjoyable evening, so I decided not to end it on a bitter note.

Azure J

You sure are filling out your avatar pretty well, dude.

Haha, it actually wasn't my intention to learn everyone on the roster, but this always happens in these big roster games, especially when I really enjoy the actual game itself. Of course, I guess I love options given my three current teams.

vg260

How do you deal w/ Zero?

Q, I found my favorite line in the UMvC3 Bible: "Air Mystic Smash M is a safe way to cover long distances."

Also, I always forget that Shuma-Gorath's command throw has a huge number of active frames on it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Q, I found my favorite line in the UMvC3 Bible: "Air Mystic Smash M is a safe way to cover long distances."

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL It sure is! *gets thrown* I swear he turns into sentinels throw box when he goes into that state.

LOL Karst posting on the shuma forums on srk *literally 1 min ago* someone wants an abusive assist :p

Anchor Shuma is kinda like a shitty version of x-23 anchor

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL It sure is! *gets thrown* I swear he turns into sentinels throw box when he goes into that state.

LOL Karst posting on the shuma forums on srk *literally 1 min ago* someone wants an abusive assist :p

Anchor Shuma is kinda like a shitty version of x-23 anchor
I used Shuma-Gorath when he first came out. I'm a big fan of the character, but goddamn do I hate charge characters, and I suck horrible amounts of ass at doing his combos.

Since we're on the topic though, I'll relate my thoughts:
TEAM UPDATE:
Like I said before, I really want Morrigan to get more screen time, and I feel as though I'm always struggling to get in with Firebrand. If my opponent sits in the corner and blocks, there's pretty much nothing I can do to open someone up with him because his solo mix-ups are pretty terrible, and Dark Hole isn't exactly great for opening people up (you can't reasonably j.L to Bon Voyage through Dark Hole - the opponent falls to the ground too soon).

So, I'm looking to make a team of Morrigan/Dormammu/???, or Morrigan/???/Dormammu, or ???/Morrigan/Dormammu. I might be willing to do Dormammu/Morrigan/???, but I can't think of a team that makes me comfortable with starting Dormammu. He's by far my strongest character, so I'd like to at least give him XF2.

I pretty much played all day today, and it gave me a lot to reflect on what I want in an assist for my third. Basically, I want it to either be a strong anti-air, or have a persistent, static, on-screen effect to enhance Dormammu and Morrigan's zoning game. I don't care about its horizontal presence. Everyone is always superjumping against both of my characters anyway. Here's my starting list of characters for consideration:

Dr. Strange (Eye of Agamotto)
Nova (Gravimetric Pulse H)
Rocket Raccoon (Trap)
Dr. Doom (Hidden Missiles)
Dante (Jam Session)
Taskmaster (Aim Master H)
Shuma-Gorath (Mystic Ray)
Trish (Traps)

It's too bad Phoenix doesn't have her L trap as an assist. That would be boss.

Each character has problems, especially since I don't want to use my two best options (Dante and Doom). Trish doesn't seem like a great option since she's best as a point character, and I can't make good use of her Round Harvest. It seems a waste to use Rocket Raccoon and not use Pendulum - his trap isn't exactly fantastic and only covers the ground.

So that leaves me with:
Dr. Strange (Eye of Agamotto)
Nova (Gravimetric Pulse H)
Taskmaster (Aim Master H)
Shuma-Gorath (Mystic Ray)

Did I miss anyone who fits my needs? Any thoughts? Shuma-Gorath is honestly my clear choice except for the fact that I can't do his combos and he's a shitty character anchor.

Tirael

Vergil is dumb and Wesker is harder to play. This guy is ridiculous.

Each character has problems, especially since I don't want to use my two best options (Dante and Doom).

I was planning on using Vergil until so many scrubs started picking up The Derp Knight. Like, he can be an amazing character in the right hands, but his huge normals and quarter-circle teleports are very noob-friendly.

Grecco

I wish you could play my friend you would reconsider the idea that shuma sucks on anchor

unless im doing something wrong vs him

I was planning on using Vergil until so many scrubs started picking up The Derp Knight. Like, he can be an amazing character in the right hands, but his huge normals and quarter-circle teleports are very noob-friendly.
You shouldn't let other people prevent you from picking a character. I don't neglect Dante and Doom because they're popular. Doom was on my Vanilla release team, which was Sentinel/Dormammu/Doom(Hidden Missiles). I'm sure you can imagine the rage I received from the combined force of 1.3 million health Sentinel and Hidden Missile spam on release week. I don't want to use Doom because he just bores the crap out of me to use.

Dante is hard to describe. I've tried picking him up many, many times. In terms of moveset, he's actually pretty much what I love in a character. A zoner with huge normals and a lot of utility, great hypers, and the best assist for Dormammu in the game outside of Hidden Missiles. What's not to love? I honestly don't know, but I just loathe the character. I have even spent time in training mode getting all his bnbs down, and sometimes daydream about his combos, but in practice using him just feels unattractive. I think it's largely because he's a "good guy" demon. Guh.

I wish you could play my friend you would reconsider the idea that shuma sucks on anchor

unless im doing something wrong vs him
I'm totally open to being convinced. If your friend wants to give me some advice, or share some videos of his gameplay, I'm all about having my 1.5 year long journey for the perfect team settled. Not being a good anchor is the only thing that has kept me from using Shuma-Gorath since release. See, there's no point in using him if I can't abuse the assist, which means he has to be after Dormammu, but I don't want Dormammu first, which means Shuma-Gorath must be third. Since Shuma-Gorath sucks third, I can't use Shuma-Gorath!

How do you deal w/ Zero?

P1ZEf.jpg

Mostly Mr. Barton. Get two bars just from chipping, can do scatter shot to UWT since Zero loves to travel by air, or if he manages to make me start blocking, get an invincible cross counter Spider Sting to make momentum neutral/in my favour again. Can kill if I hit the combo off the CC too.

Honestly, giving Zero two extremely opposite looks at the blink of an eye works wonders too.

Hawkeye is a bad man.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You know honestly I think shuma's biggest problem as a charge character, is that his charges take too long for the speed of this game on top of the moves not being powerful enough to warrant them to be charge moves. Sure the laser is good but its recovery is bad so it's not a true charge move in that sense

You know honestly I think shuma's biggest problem as a charge character, is that his charges take too long for the speed of this game on top of the moves not being powerful enough to warrant them to be charge moves. Sure the laser is good but its recovery is bad so it's not a true charge move in that sense
He should create a body double that does the move while he moves around freely. I honestly just don't get the point of a charge character in this game. Just let me tap the directions.

Killa, have you fought any other Zeroes since our marathon? I love war stories / tales of games.

Fought Stone a couple of times on Live. I know it's just online, but his Zero that normally just chops me to bits was really not a huge factor. Just Clint doing work and Spidey getting in there to finish the job on the robut if need be. Arrow harassment should be a misdemeanor of some sort.

Was mostly me getting fish-hooked to lose, hahaha.

My fear of Astro Boy is gone, however.

Seriously, right now I am really "no scare" of everyone except top notch Logans, Vergils (fuqq dem normals), Patricia's, and to a lesser extent, Nova/Felicia. Happy to say I've learned ways to deal with a lot of my demons for the most part, esp. Skrull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom