• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
P1ZEf.jpg

Mostly Mr. Barton. Get two bars just from chipping, can do scatter shot to UWT since Zero loves to travel by air, or if he manages to make me start blocking, get an invincible cross counter Spider Sting to make momentum neutral/in my favour again. Can kill if I hit the combo off the CC too.

Honestly, giving Zero two extremely opposite looks at the blink of an eye works wonders too.

Hawkeye is a bad man.
Beautiful.

iNMfWkL61lqGd.png

I love you Hawkguy.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
What are your guys' thoughts on the HORI SCV stick? It's on sale for $99 so I figure it's a good deal, but I read some reviews that say it has a square gate. Is that a bad thing?

What are your guys' thoughts on the HORI SCV stick? It's on sale for $99 so I figure it's a good deal, but I read some reviews that say it has a square gate. Is that a bad thing?
I don't know much about the stick in general and its quality. Is it modeled after the SE? I use a square gate and do just fine. Everyone has preferences. It's fairly easy to switch those kinds of parts out. You can probably get a different gate for a few bucks if it bothers you. I've never wanted anything but a square gate. It really lets you hit those diagonals hard.

Edit: Looks like it's modeled after the SE. I say it's a great deal and you should go for it if you're looking for a stick.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know much about the stick in general and its quality. Is it modeled after the SE? I use a square gate and do just fine. Everyone has preferences. It's fairly easy to switch those kinds of parts out. You can probably get a different gate for a few bucks if it bothers you. I've never wanted anything but a square gate. It really lets you hit those diagonals hard.

Not sure what you mean by SE? I really know zip about sticks, so I have absolutely no idea whether or not this is a good stick. All I know is Sanwa parts = good and this stick has Sanwa parts.

My other option is the HORI UMvC3 stick, but that's more expensive at $150.

Not sure what you mean by SE? I really know zip about sticks, so I have absolutely no idea whether or not this is a good stick. All I know is Sanwa parts = good and this stick has Sanwa parts.

My other option is the HORI UMvC3 stick, but that's more expensive at $150.
I edited my post. That's a good stick at a good deal. You can always modify the art if it's important to you. SRK.com has a whole forum for that stuff.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
He should create a body double that does the move while he moves around freely. I honestly just don't get the point of a charge character in this game. Just let me tap the directions.

Wasn't that how charlie was in mvc2 with his flash kick?

But yeah this game has lots of weird design choices haha

Oh cool, thanks! Yeah it looks like a good deal but I wasn't sure how good of a stick it is.
You are most welcome. I look forward to your first post where you talk about how much trouble you're having with SRK motions. ;-)
It happens to everyone.

Dunno. I was too busy summoning awesome mini-demons that filled the screen...too awesome for MvC3, apparently.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
How many charge moves are even in this game? I can only think of 4.

Hulk's Gamma Wave
Felicia's Sand thing
Shuma's Laser and eye ring thing.

Is that it?

Well it can't be harder than trying to pull it off on the 360's analog stick, right? Right?

Right?
I find both easy, so no clue! When you get the stick and are doing SRK motions, just remember that the actual input is:
Forward
Down
Down-Forward

Basically, if you ram the stick forward, ram it down, and then ram it into the corner, you're good. All I do all day long is DP motions with my characters, so it's hard for me to get why others have problems. Regardless, let us know how you like it when you get it.

Dahbomb

How many charge moves are even in this game? I can only think of 4.

Hulk's Gamma Wave
Felicia's Sand thing
Shuma's Laser and eye ring thing.

Is that it?
Chun Li's SBK. Frank's Zombie throw.

Charge moves are a relic in VS games. Don't know why characters still have them in a Marvel game.

shaowebb

Chun Li's SBK. Frank's Zombie throw.

Charge moves are a relic in VS games. Don't know why characters still have them in a Marvel game.

If SBK could be cancelled into anything decent that allowed for longer follow ups to the move it'd be a different story. Chun Li is fun and I tried her a lot on point in Vanilla and in Ultimate for awhile. Having your OTG for a charge character end in the direction of their charge move's start input is a good way to make the move input worth something. For Chun you just hold the pogo head stomps' down and push up and attack after it hits. Simple as that and you get both the OTG and the SBK. Thing is SBK doesn't lead to very many follow ups. Still its how you can put one in the game and make it usable.

Besides imagine if Dante had a safe on block charge move with the up/down input like SBK. He'd pretty much be able to teleport directly into the move since air trick ends in a down input. For that matter anyone with a good down + jumping attack could potentially make safe their stuff that way. I guarantee F.Champ would be using Burn out Beak into such a move with Phoenix if he had a good Down Up charge attack that cold be buffered by that move.

They can be useful, but there aren't any good choices for the input being used in this game. Even though Chun Li isn't that great after SBK on her options just do a combo and go into her OTG to SBK and see how it feels. I always liked that moment and thought it was the funnest part of her combo to do. It might just be me though, but I think charge attacks can be good if they are given as the input to the proper move. You basically got to plan your input around what they should be going into the move from in my opinion when designing charge attacks AND make sure the charge attack itself has options on what to do afterwards so its fun to slip into combos.
Well it can't be harder than trying to pull it off on the 360's analog stick, right? Right?

Right?

If you want to grind out SRK motions on a stick I strongly suggest using Iron Fist in training mode. His SRK are his chi's and you can cancel them. I think you can pop more SRK motions off with him faster than anyone else so you can practice with him and just set your own pace until you can see how fast you can pop em out. I found this better than say using Ryu or Spiderman for SRK warmups since their moves and most other cast SRK moves have longer animations or recovery for some reason. It always felt like I was getting too much prep time between them to feel warmed up enough to pop one quickly mid combo or something if I needed it for someone like Spidey.

Manly SRK time.

Solune

Marvel does that to you, haha. Morrigan's combos are so stylish, I think she's the most freestyling character past Magneto in terms of combo flow.
Playing ApolloJoe is part of my highlights of playing Marvel. Dude doesn't drop Dante or Morrigan combos. Anchor Morrigan scares the fuck out of me.
It's one of the best sticks on the market right now, plus the design is fantastic. Visit the arcade stick threads
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207393
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=40126503
But most of the impressions in there are very favorable for the SCV stick. I'd put it up ahead of Madcatz SCV sticks in terms of design.. It's also much more aesthetically pleasing than the new P4 stick even though they use a similar form factor.

But yeah this game has lots of weird design choices haha

Only the moonsault (air flashkick), it's the same motion as magneto's magnetic blast.

So what really is the benefit of a stick over a gamepad? I'm using my 360 controller and i can do just fine :)

BTW, i'd love to play with some of you. My gamertag is: salva is online

add me!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So what really is the benefit of a stick over a gamepad? I'm using my 360 controller and i can do just fine :)

BTW, i'd love to play with some of you. My gamertag is: salva is online

add me!

In this game it's not that obvious minus a few little things. King of Fighters on the other hand... some stuff is fucking insanely hard to pull off as fast and precise they want you to do them on a pad. I would imagine dante's more crazy stuff would be a little tough on a pad in this never touched dante though

In this game it's not that obvious minus a few little things. King of Fighters on the other hand... some stuff is fucking insanely hard to pull off as fast and precise they want you to do them on a pad. I would imagine dante's more crazy stuff would be a little tough on a pad in this never touched dante though

Maybe it's the reason why i find Dante to be real tough to use. I tried to learn his combos but man, their execution are crazy! Could be the gamepad though. I alternate between the D-pad and the joystick during my combos.

If SBK could be cancelled into anything decent that allowed for longer follow ups to the move it'd be a different story. Chun Li is fun and I tried her a lot on point in Vanilla and in Ultimate for awhile. Having your OTG for a charge character end in the direction of their charge move's start input is a good way to make the move input worth something. For Chun you just hold the pogo head stomps' down and push up and attack after it hits. Simple as that and you get both the OTG and the SBK. Thing is SBK doesn't lead to very many follow ups. Still its how you can put one in the game and make it usable.
tk that sbk and you can do 3+ of them in a single combo. it can be a decent corner pusher, which makes her resets more effective imo. my bnb uses only 1, but its an ex sbk because i think it looks cool. you can definitely squeeze in multiple ones if you want to style. i definitely like to play chun for combos. her damage and hit stun scaling is ass, so you can pretty much substitute any of her moves in a combo and still get the same crap damage. great meter builder i guess though.

Actually ended up going with the WWE Brawl Stick on Amazon, which is going for $30 right now. Figure it's probably a better way to test out whether or not I want to get a stick.
The only thing that sucks about this is if you decide you want a good stick, you wasted $30. :p

I messed around with stuff in training mode this morning. Goddamn I just cannot do Shuma-Gorath's combos. -_- So annoying.

Grecco

The only thing that sucks about this is if you decide you want a good stick, you wasted $30. :p

I messed around with stuff in training mode this morning. Goddamn I just cannot do Shuma-Gorath's combos. -_- So annoying.

Well he can replace the stick/buttons with sanwa parts not that hard to do...

Anyways i still keep having trouble with Ghost Rider+ assist. Am i simply supposed to up back on him?

Is it not a good stick? My impression from some forums is that it's not a bad stick. I still have time to change the order if needed.
There are basically three kinds of sticks out there:
Cheap
Tournament
Custom

You're obviously not interested in a custom stick, which is very expensive (or you make it). Generally, if the stick is less than $100 it falls in the "cheap" category, and uses cheap parts. Joystick inputs may not be as precise, buttons do not register as well, etc. A Sanwa button is so sensitive that I can run my finger along the top and it counts as an input. It's extremely sensitive. Cheap parts may need to be "slapped" in more. If you just want to see whether you want a stick, you'll still get an idea, but I've never seen anyone use one of the cheap sticks at a tournament, because they tend to break and are not reliable.

I don't know about that stick in particular, but from my general arcade stick knowledge, I'd be wary. My own stick is a HORI, and I love it.

Edit: I checked the reviews for the stick, and they seem in line with my thinking.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Brawl Stick is pretty good. It's as close to a TE as you can get in terms of part quality. And for only $30 (instead of the regular $80 or so), you can swap in better (read: top of the line Sanwa/Seimitsu) parts for significantly less than the price of a TE anyways. This is from my research on the stick from a while ago when I was planning on buying it. I don't think you can go wrong with the stick, especially at that price.

If I could have found it anywhere in Canada for that price I would have bought it in an instant.

shaowebb

Is it not a good stick? My impression from some forums is that it's not a bad stick. I still have time to change the order if needed.

Its fine to start out on and check how you like motions and rolling your fingers for combos. I used to get hand cramps on a pad but sticks made it so I could just go all day carefree. Plus I could input faster since it was reminescent to dulcimer fretting/piano practice for me to operate it in the position my hand lays.

If you notice any input lag or buttons that sometimes dont hit then you need to buy some parts like buttons or a new stick, but I think the brawl stick mods like the SFIV stick I modded and that was pretty much an open case, unplug or snap out part snap in replacement. No soddering or risky stuff what so ever to worry about. It was literally as difficult as unplugging a lamp and plugging something else into the socket.

The thing is don't misjudge a stick based on your first impression of using its motions. No one starts out solid at consistently getting what they want. Go into practice practice nothing but hadokens with ryu, then tag to iron fist and grind DP motions and so on and so forth. Practice wave dashing, back dashing and throw in magneto to practice triangle dashing too. The practice sessions will tell you what you like about the sticks handling as you get better at the motions and from their you'll know if its in good condition. If a part wears out they are cheap to replace so don't worry if its a cheap stick since you can swap parts for the quality stuff for a very fair price without ending up spending more than an expensive stick would have cost from the outset.

Enjoy man.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Well it doesn't look like I can cancel the order. Oh well, I'm getting it for $30 so I guess I can always mod it later if I like having an arcade stick.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Good games! Your nova is pretty good

Yours was a lot better I felt. What's the notation on that mid-air human Rocket Punch combo? I normally go for a simpler MMH HRP B combo, but would like to know how to extend it.

You opened me up so much and with such ease that the few times I got something going I dropped it because I have a habit of inputting my stuff much more rapidly under such pressure. I had just played 16-2 in a random lobby and was feeling pretty good about my play so losing 9-1 was a brisk wake up call :p Not used to dealing with Doom at all and didn't know how to deal with well placed foot dives. Really nicely done.

Yours was a lot better I felt. What's the notation on that mid-air human Rocket Punch combo? I normally go for a simpler MMH HRP B combo, but would like to know how to extend it.

You opened me up so much and with such ease that the few times I got something going I dropped it because I have a habit of inputting my stuff much more rapidly under such pressure. I had just played 16-2 in a random lobby and was feeling pretty good about my play so losing 9-1 was a brisk wake up call :p Not used to dealing with Doom at all and didn't know how to deal with well placed foot dives. Really nicely done.

Hmm, i really don't know about typing out notation so i'll learn it and tell you my combo in a bit :)

Yes, i understand about the frustration with my Doom. You rarely see good Dooms online. Most people that use it are terrible and only use it for the hidden missiles assist. I honestly hate that assist since it's so cheap (although i use it only for people who pull cheap shit online to counter them). I know other nice Nova combos but are hard to pull off. I'll show you some next time we play online.

Also, Nova and Doom have pretty good synergy. Using doom and a Nova assist i can do a 920K combo using 1 bar. Using Nova and Doom assist i can do a 740K combo with 1 bar.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, i really don't know about typing out notation so i'll learn it and tell you my combo in a bit :)

Yes, i understand about the frustration with my Doom. You rarely see good Dooms online. Most people that use it are terrible and only use it for the hidden missiles assist. I honestly hate that assist since it's so cheap (although i use it only for people who pull cheap shit online to counter them). I know other nice Nova combos but are hard to pull off. I'll show you some next time we play online.

Also, Nova and Doom have pretty good synergy. Using doom and a Nova assist i can do a 920K combo using 1 bar. Using Nova and Doom assist i can do a 740K combo with 1 bar.

Yeah, the Dooms I usually deal with are those that have him as an anchor for the Hidden Missiles spam and I can usually snipe those with either Task or Dormammu. Currently trying to make my X-23 more legit, but when people are very consistent in their ToDs and I can't get in she's more risk than reward. My best Nova combo is not super fancy, but does about 720k without assist usage in the corner. It's just launch MH human rocket punch L, airdash down, H launch, MH Human Rocket Punch L, H, Supernova. Really need to start playing him first again.

I've had quite a big hiatus and haven't really recovered all my skills with him. Playing him as an anchor sporadically doesn't cut it for me in relearning stuff and doing them correctly when it counts and I have the bad habit of cutting my combos short when I play him in different spots than anchor. Also need to work on those quick airdash down L's, noticed you had those down pretty well.

Theoryfighter time:
How much is it worth to have no mix-ups on your next incoming character?

I've been thinking about it, and we all know that when you lose one character, against a good player, using a good team, there's a very good chance that you're about to lose another. It's not often that you lose the third one just because you can X-Factor and get a "breathing moment" as that character comes in. The value of having that guaranteed second character is enormous. I realized how valuable this is to me when I previously posted about armored Hsien-ko, and how great it is to not worry about her dying right away. She also tends to kill a lot of characters because people aren't careful enough - they're too used to having the advantage on an incoming character.

I'm absolutely certain that having no mix-ups on my next incoming character is worth at least 3 bars to me. I know this because if I'm getting stomped, I'll often use Morrigan's Darkness Illusion, which has decent invulnerability, simply to guarantee Morrigan a safe "in". Sometimes I'll XF3 cancel it, sometimes I won't. It's just good to not have to deal with the insanity that often is mix-ups in this game.

Is it worth dedicating an entire character to this benefit? Maybe. Hsien-ko is just so-so, but it sure it nice knowing for a fact that I get to use both of my characters in the match. Sometimes I feel it's worth including her just so I can be guaranteed to at least use two good characters.

To my knowledge, only three characters can be guaranteed safe while coming in:
Morrigan
Hsien-ko
Sentinel

I think one of the great things about Knives' team is the order:
Spencer
Sentinel
Akuma

What a great team order! If Sentinel were anchoring, Akuma would get mixed up half the time and die, leaving only the outsourced machine to fight alone. Sentinel guarantees Knives gets to play his whole team, and Hyper Sentinel Force x Messatsu Gohado Ungyo is a pretty delicious bonus.

As I think about this, I wonder whether the following team is worth considering:
Sentinel (Sentinel Force)
Dormammu (Dark Hole)
Morrigan (Dark Harmonizer)

As we all know, it is worth a lot to get Morrigan and Dormammu on the screen safely. Both ChrisG and FChamp are willing to burn two bars of meter just to ensure that the slate is clean for their characters, and this is obviously more than just a preference, it's an intermediary goal for them. So one thought I have is this: put Sentinel on point, and dance around while calling Dark Harmonizer. As soon as I get two bars, DHC into Dormammu. Every Sentinel to Dormammu DHC is viciously strong, and Morrigan even gets Soul Drains off of Hyper Sentinel Force x Astral Vision. With Dark Harmonizer, I'll certainly have the meter necessary to do these things and be safe, and of course Sentinel Force is a great assist for anyone.

What do you all think?

Vice

Having a get out of jail free card is what makes Sentinel a good anchor and character.

In Marvel guessing wrong in entry can lead to death and not instantly dying because you guessed wrong against Zero or Vergil is worth a lot more than people give characters credit for. It takes the guess work out and that's always a good thing when you're in any situation you're playing in. It takes, most of, the power away from the other player and puts you on more equal playing ground.

I've always liked Fanatiq's MSS because of this.

With Magneto and Storm he can just fly out, and with Sentinel he could just hard drive out. My entire team is built around getting the first kill then getting the incoming mix up and whenever I run into someone who can just get out of the corner it really screws me up.

I dont think id ever use Sentinel on pont. Would depend on how quickly you can dhc him out....
Within 500 frames. ;-)

Sentinel is actually super safe on point. Double jump, flight, huge normals, and specials that say "back off". You don't want to be aggressive with him, but most of his bad matchups, like Wolverine, can't do anything if you just spam Air Raid and turtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom