• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

USD

I also posted this in the FGW thread, but here's a fairly long write-up I did on the UMvC3 Tougeki qualifier results:

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 at Tougeki 2012: Qualifier Results and Breakdown

And he's a quick list of who qualified, their primary team, and the event won.

Japan

Kyamei (Wesker/Nova/Vergil) - KVO THE ULTIMATE BATTLE 2012 (May 4)
DIE-chan (Firebrand/Morrigan/Vergil) - KVO THE ULTIMATE BATTLE 2012 (May 4)
Chou (Wesker/Magneto/Vergil) - KVO THE ULTIMATE BATTLE 2012 (May 4)
Kusoru (Viewtiful Joe/Frank West/Rocket Raccoon) – FRB★TPC//01 HAPPY BIRTHDAY SP☆!!! (May 19)
ABEGEN (Tron/Thor/She-Hulk) - FRB★TPC//02 MARVEL FESTIVAL (June 23)
JEO (Morrigan/Wesker/Strider Hiryu) - Kyukyoku Jinrui Tournament in Ooyama Newton (July 1)
Frieda (Zero/Dante/Magneto) - Kyukyoku Jinrui Tournament in Ooyama Newton (July 1)
G.X (Spencer/Hulk/Doctor Doom) - Gushiken Masturi (July 14)
kubo (Vergil/X-23/Dante) - Ketubato U -Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 Kyoto Tournament (July 15)
Mamespider (Spider-Man/Doctor Doom/Vergil) – FRB★TPC//03 SUPER ARCADE (July 22)

Kuwait

Dr. Mysterious (Wesker/Dante/Vergil) - Kuwait Qualifier (July 12)
G-Voice (Wolverine/Sentinel/Phoenix) - Kuwait Qualifier (July 12)

United States

Jan (Hulk/Sentinel/Haggar) – US Southwest Region at Arcade UFO (July 14)
Mihe (Zero/Vergil/Dante) – US Southwest Region at Arcade UFO (July 15)
Justin Wong (Wolverine/Storm/Akuma) – US West Coast Region at Super Arcade (July 21)
Killer Kai (Zero/Taskmaster/Wesker) - US West Coast Region at Super Arcade (July 21)

Australia

Antman (Wesker/Vergil/Hawkeye) - Shadowloo Night Live SBO EDITION (July 21)

TOTAL: 17 players + 15(?) last-chance qualifier slots = 32 players

Character usage, based on primary teams only, 1 team per player:

Vergil – 8
Wesker – 6
Dante – 4
Zero – 3
Doctor Doom – 2
Hulk – 2
Magneto – 2
Morrigan – 2
Sentinel – 2
Wolverine – 2
Akuma (Gouki) – 1
Firebrand (Red Arremer) – 1
Frank West – 1
Haggar – 1
Hawkeye – 1
Nova – 1
Phoenix – 1
Rocket Raccoon – 1
She-Hulk – 1
Spencer – 1
Spider-Man – 1
Storm – 1
Strider Hiryu – 1
Taskmaster – 1
Thor – 1
Tron – 1
Viewtiful Joe – 1
X-23 – 1

Who's not in the above list:

Amaterasu, Arthur, Captain America, C.Viper, Chris, Chun-Li, Deadpool, Doctor Strange, Dormammu, Felicia, Ghost Rider, Hsien-Ko (Lei-Lei), Iron Fist, Iron Man, Jill, M.O.D.O.K., Nemesis T-Type, Phoenix Wright, Ryu, Shuma-Gorath, Super-Skrull, Trish

No Dormammu is somewhat surprising. Jan does use him in a secondary team, but since the team he used the most at the qualifier was Hulk/Sentinel/Haggar, that's not included in the above count. Ranmasama also uses Dormammu, but forfeited his spot.

I had a dream that some guy that looked like sixfortyfive and I were reminiscing about a girl that we had each been in a relationship with in the past, and we developed this weird rivalry over Harvest Moon. There was also this cyberpunk aesthetic and a bunch of backalley stuff was happening, but I can't remember much other than listening to someone through a newspaper want ads section and some dude that turned into a door.

Dahbomb

Vergil most used character going into sbo... So basically just like any Japanese marvel event. Would be interesting to compare statistics after the tournament is done.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
OMG I hated Seth in SF4. That guy gave me serious fits and gamer rage moments. Same with Galactus, although to a lesser degree. I just can never tell when to block high or low, and his unblockable attacks are just cheap as shit.

I knew it because it wasn't a wet dream.

I actually dreaded the day. And Vergil has been Japan's most popular character since like day 3 of UMVC3.

lol, I'm actually sorry for all the harsh things I said back then. You were looking at the videos and made like those huge ass wall of texts explaining why Vergil is gonna be godlike (which mostly turned out to be true lol) and I was like "Meh, whatever dude, you're just fanboying. It's embarassing."
And now look at where karma got me.

Still love ya, though. No hard feelings, right? <3

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Heralds can be more of a bitch than Galactus. Galactus is stupid easy once you figure out how each of his moves work/hit. Maybe that's just me who's finished the arcade mode like 60+ times.

I also agree that the heralds are harder, especially if you don't beat them quick enough and you have dorm, akuma, and dr doom making a man-sandwich out of you

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the Heralds are annoying, especially Dormammu (I hate his dumbass black hole vortex thingy that I can never block). But Galactus is the annoying one for me who rips massive chunks out of your health with every hit. I can't even use my hypers against him because he just smacks me out of them.

Dahbomb

Wow that nova combo video was amazing. Totally didn't know about that anti Phoenix nova tech.

Red arremer: It's all good man, I was never really bothered by the comments. Wouldn't be the first or last time someone called me out on fanboyism.

Bizazedo

Might start playing MARVEL online on PS3. How would you guys compare the online experience to XBOXLIVE?

Clock

360 is better, mainly due to there being less #'s of wireless people. But, it can work.

Aside from that, it's been my experience that the PS3 folk get far saltier far quicker. Free accounts and what not, I imagine.

Azure J

Just had a thought that I might expand on if I feel like I'll get something out of it. I'm thinking about making short (like 2 - 3 minutes tops) videos of myself grinding out combos, setups or just generally fucking around while trying to get the most out of training mode. The idea is I'll play a song from my music library and for as long as that song plays, I'll record myself trying (and failing) to make something happen. It'd be a part of a series I'm tentatively calling "Jam Sessions". :lol

What says you Marvel GAF? Should I go for it?

Just had a thought that I might expand on if I feel like I'll get something out of it. I'm thinking about making short (like 2 - 3 minutes tops) videos of myself grinding out combos, setups or just generally fucking around while trying to get the most out of training mode. The idea is I'll play a song from my music library and for as long as that song plays, I'll record myself trying (and failing) to make something happen. It'd be a part of a series I'm tentatively calling "Jam Sessions". :lol

What says you Marvel GAF? Should I go for it?

That sounds great. It can be cool because Marvel GAF can comment on the video to help you with the combos or give you ideas for combos/mixups/resets etc. Go for it.

Might start playing MARVEL online on PS3. How would you guys compare the online experience to XBOXLIVE?

Clock

I'm on a wired connection, when I go to place like Speedtest.net I get about 30-35 down, 4-5 up and online Marvel on PSN is damn near unplayable for me.

However every other fighting game (except KOF13) is playable. Especially Skull Girls best out of the bunch by far.

Clock

Quirkier teams, more lag against randoms (wireless), more Ghost Riders abusing said lag, but solid overall. Live is better by a decent margin imo. Both have their share of strong players. Live goes more for cheap stuff in my experience whereas PSN is more "setups".

You also owe me more matches, haven't played you since a lobby a while ago where I was like "this guy makes Doom look kind of scary on point, reminds me of Clockwork."

360 is better, mainly due to there being less #'s of wireless people. But, it can work.

Aside from that, it's been my experience that the PS3 folk get far saltier far quicker. Free accounts and what not, I imagine.

Yep, think so. Agreed on the salt.

Go wired or don't bother.

This.

It's cause you play Zero and you know it lol.

When the beacon of all that is right in Marvel3 gets hated on, the network is clearly. High in sodium :p

I really wish Capcom knew how to port a game well. Is there any way to install the PS3 version? I'd play on it more if it was a tighter experience. Still do for the other side's experience, but I want it to be as good as possible.

IV was miles ahead of this one.

smurfx

get some go again

Clock
you are abandoning us xbox guys? how dare you! although since you now work for sony i understand. btw you gotta get yourself an avatar.

5Lqt8.png

use this as a placeholder till you find one that you like better.

I'll play.
My PSN is hypernima

Good games earlier. If you would like some constructive criticisms your teams didn't really have good synergy and that was a big contribute to your losses. You seemed to be really stuck with using Tron and Nova on all of the games. I don't believe these characters have very good synergy and your third character never really benefited either of them. You aren't helpless though, you just need a better team formation and some practice with those characters.

So today I played some games with my brother and I decided to not use my Wright team. I really played a lot with X-23 and really liked her and had a lot of fun. I have used her before and liked her in the past but never put any work with her. I kinda want to make a new secondary team with characters that are very different from my mains just for some variety. If I use X-23 I would definitively put her as anchor. What are some other good partners and assists for her?

Messed around with a lot of teams today. I LOVE Morrigan on point. Not able to find an anchor I really like, though.

Goddamn, Nova's combos are easy. I at least thought his HHHH combo would be hard, but not even that.

Clock
I don't have any XBL experience to compare it to, but there's a huge difference between wired and wireless. If you want to give it a try, I'm glad to just start up some matches with you, and you can beat up on me dummy-mode to see how the connection feels compared to XBL.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Despite the effort put in by those maintaining it, I'm pretty sure it would be in FG-GAF's best interest to bury the FG Weekly thread and just go back to individual threads for individual subjects. Any actual discussion about tournaments, weeklies, and the shows like Ultrachen/CC/SRKLive just gets buried in Twitter arguments at this point. It's pathetic.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Despite the effort put in by those maintaining it, I'm pretty sure it would be in FG-GAF's best interest to bury the FG Weekly thread and just go back to individual threads for individual subjects. Any actual discussion about tournaments, weeklies, and the shows like Ultrachen/CC/SRKLive just gets buried in Twitter arguments at this point. It's pathetic.

I agree actually. For the past few months I though Wednesday Night Fights were dead because I stopped seeing threads for it. Only recently discovered the weeklies and while they're nice, when I see the weekly thread on the first page you can never really tell if something is actually happening at the moment, people are discussing older events or whatever at a glance. I'm all for the weekly thread, but feel it shouldn't come at the cost of separate threads being made for all the sub-events.

I like it as it is.

Could Morrigan/Doom/Dormammu work?
It works, but I really loathe playing Doom, and I actually don't like Morrigan/Doom. It's not a very fun combination to use. I prefer to rush with Morrigan. If I could find an assist that lets her combo off of her throws, I'd pick that character in a second.

smurfx

get some go again
well the weekly events do get discussed as they are going on in the thread usually. problem with making separate threads for everything is that the mods may end up telling us to just create a thread for it here in community and then that will pretty much kill all discussion since not many people post in the community threads. i understand if you don't like the in between twitter bullshit that gets posted but you can always just ignore it like i usually do.

Sixfortyfive

well the weekly events do get discussed as they are going on in the thread usually. problem with making separate threads for everything is that the mods may end up telling us to just create a thread for it here in community and then that will pretty much kill all discussion since not many people post in the community threads. i understand if you don't like the in between twitter bullshit that gets posted but you can always just ignore it like i usually do.
It's not even an in-between thing anymore. Parallax Scroll will post a link to an active stream, then everybody will ignore it and gossip instead for the next few pages. Repeatedly.

The audience that that thread attracts is pretty distinct, too. Lots of people who I never see in the OTs of the games they talk about.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
It'd be cool if we could have the weekly thread and have a mod update the title when something is ongoing like "Weekly thread July Whatever - currently ongoing: WNF 16" or whatever, although mods may not be up for this. The separate threads were great for me because I could instantly see when something was on at the time, because I'm in a wildly different timezone it's harder to keep track of when all of these things start by looking at a weekly calendar and seeing relatively exotic stuff like 5PM PDT. It's not that huge of a deal, but the separate threads always felt more convenient for me.

It's not even an in-between thing anymore. Parallax Scroll will post a link to an active stream, then everybody will ignore it and gossip instead for the next few pages. Repeatedly.

The audience that that thread attracts is pretty distinct, too. Lots of people who I never see in the OTs of the games they talk about.
During major events, I always prefer to talk about the Marvel rounds here if my posts are contentful and not just "JUSTIN WOOOOONG!"

kirblar

I love the drama-fueled nature of the thread. It's fun!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Would you rather that discussion invade these threads? It's good that that stuff is contained there. Plus it's a passing thing. An event happens sometimes, and then it stops. This time it's RaffleGate.

I post far too much. FAR too much. Most of my posts in those threads and major threads are like OOOOH GAWD DAMN. I try to be restrained here because I see it as a place for actual discussion rather than reactions and in-the-moment stuff, which needs it's place too I think.

It'd be cool if we could have the weekly thread and have a mod update the title when something is ongoing like "Weekly thread July Whatever - currently ongoing: WNF 16" or whatever, although mods may not be up for this. The separate threads were great for me because I could instantly see when something was on at the time, because I'm in a wildly different timezone it's harder to keep track of when all of these things start by looking at a weekly calendar and seeing relatively exotic stuff like 5PM PDT. It's not that huge of a deal, but the separate threads always felt more convenient for me.
That would take far too much mod interaction and to some extent would be unfair to other threads. Sometimes when you have titles changing all of the time, it gets difficult to even spot what your looking for in the Gaming Forum. New titles are pretty much reserved for mod joke abuse and new news for news threads.

I wish there was an easy time conversion system online myself to be honest. They're all either bloated, hard to understand for most or just unintuitive. I'm absolutely DREADFUL with time zones. I'm surprised Google doesn't do the smart calculations either when you type something like "What is 5PM EST in PST?" in the search bar.

I know it's difficult for international people though, I feel for you guys and for you guys trying to view something at awkward times alone. I didn't want to throw every time zone available in the FGW OT though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I wish there was an easy time conversion system online myself to be honest. They're all either bloated, hard to understand for most or just unintuitive. I'm absolutely DREADFUL with time zones. I'm surprised Google doesn't do the smart calculations either when you type something like "What is 5PM EST in PST?" in the search bar.

I know it's difficult for international people though, I feel for you guys and for you guys trying to view something at awkward times alone. I didn't want to throw every time zone available in the FGW OT though.

Haha, can't count the number of times I've done a Google search like that only to be pissed they still don't do those or have any search relevant search results for it.

I'm not blaming you whatsoever though, you did an excellent job on this week's topic. I know there probably isn't a mod who would like getting bothered on such a regular basis, unless it was someone who actually followed the scene as avidly him or herself and would self-update. Would it be unfair to other threads, not sure. A small changing byline would not be super disruptive to people, I feel but I don't know how rare a happenstance doing something like that would be.

Sixfortyfive

I'm absolutely DREADFUL with time zones. I'm surprised Google doesn't do the smart calculations either when you type something like "What is 5PM EST in PST?" in the search bar.
Man, international people I can understand, but how can you not know to add/subtract by 3? :p

Dahbomb

I am an international person and time zone comes natural to me. I normally have to take into account 10 hour differences or 4-5 hour differences. What screws me up is when Daylight saving time is put into the equation because some countries don't follow it but others do so it increases or decreases the time difference that would normally be present.

What? Do you know a way to let Morrigan combo off of throws with Doom? I'm not talking about those incidents where Hidden Missiles happens to hit after the throw, I mean a way to combo from the throws reliably.

Well if you have a throw setup or an opportunity to go for one, call missiles then throw right after. After the throw, I dunno.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Man, international people I can understand, but how can you not know to add/subtract by 3? :p
All the other timezones man. So many acronyms, goddamn. While making the FGW thread I was forced to learn the difference between EST and EDT too.

I shouldn't have slept through grade 10 geography class and I thoroughly regret it many years later. I blame the coked up neo-Nazi my brown ass had to sit next to throughout the entire semester.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

That's the part I hate. Twitter bullshit is whatever but when they actually start talking about new tech or something it's like, why are you talking about that there?

Or asking about how to get into a new game by asking the Fighting Game Weekly thread.

Is deadpool fast enough? he's fast enough for arthur
It's definitely not possible to use an OTG assist. Except for her back throw, you have maybe 5 frames to land Shadow Servant after throwing with her. So it either has to be a THC combination (Million Dollars would work, but then I couldn't use Dark Harmonizer - thanks Capcom) or an assist that allows me to combo from Shadow Servant.

That's the part I hate. Twitter bullshit is whatever but when they actually start talking about new tech or something it's like, why are you talking about that there?

Or asking about how to get into a new game by asking the Fighting Game Weekly thread.
"OMG nerf character X"

Have you thought about comboing after her OTG super? There are slow assists and long THCs. Nemesis works for both.
That's actually what I was referring to. I don't think there's a way to combo before it. I've tried Bolts of Balthakk, and both beams hit but it doesn't provide enough time. Sentinel Force is too slow and doesn't catch my opponent in time. I've never tried Nemesis' missile - good thought. I have tried the Nemesis/Morrigan THC, and the THC drops between rocket 3 and the foot stomp. It's hard to THC from Finishing Shower because it's one of the longest hypers in the game. Most characters can THC with it and get full combos after they recover, much like Million Dollars (but Million Dollars is longer and better).

That's actually what I was referring to. I don't think there's a way to combo before it. I've tried Bolts of Balthakk, and both beams hit but it doesn't provide enough time. Sentinel Force is too slow and doesn't catch my opponent in time. I've never tried Nemesis' missile - good thought. I have tried the Nemesis/Morrigan THC, and the THC drops between rocket 3 and the foot stomp. It's hard to THC from Finishing Shower because it's one of the longest hypers in the game. Most characters can THC with it and get full combos after they recover, much like Million Dollars (but Million Dollars is longer and better).

Ah, on TACs I didn't have harmonizer selected so the blades hyper was coming out.

You can also use install hypers, I got a solid Dante combo off of blades -> devil trigger, teleport jH xx dive kick.

Basically any lockdown assist will give you a morrigan combo off a backthrow in the corner, but that's super specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom