• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeMaxX

After you land you have enough time for a throw or his "instant" overhead. You can't get anything off of the throw without an assist or xf though,except HCS, and comboing from the overhead requires strict timing.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, this is insanely unsafe. Captain is very unsafe without assists. Most people don't know how to punish him though. Literally 90% of the screen is a deadzone for him so if you have ANY option from those ranges, they're better than him.

Throw a shield from long range- can't convert.
Throw a shield from short range- they block it and then have time to punish you before your shield comes back.
Do a raw cartwheel, get punished since you're vulnerable for like 20 frames. The only way I could see this possibly working is if the shield is coming back to you while you're in the middle of your backflip, but even then they can just touch you and your shield loses its hitbox. Captain is a terrible anchor. Not because he can't kill you (if you get touched or thrown, you're probably going to die), but because he has very few options and almost none of them are safe.

What the...

So I've never read the Vergil section of the bible closely before.

Rapid Slash assist is not the same as the point version.

Rapid Slash (point):
4 projectiles with 5 low priority hit points are created.

Rapid Slash (assist):
First 3 projectiles have 99 low priority hit points, last projectile has 5.

WOW.

What do you guys think about Super Skrull?
Amazing character, very underused, would be my main if Dormammu weren't in the game.

I know a secret no one else knows about him...

Dahbomb

He's good but requires some finesse to play properly. Most people just derp with him and get fraudulent wins with him at anchor.

About rapid slash, the durability on the slashes is irrelevant because his hit box is in front and very vulnerable. I couldn't really figure out how to reliably check the durability on it.

He's good but requires some finesse to play properly. Most people just derp with him and get fraudulent wins with him at anchor.

About rapid slash, the durability on the slashes is irrelevant because his hit box is in front and very vulnerable. I couldn't really figure out how to reliably check the durability on it.
It's not irrelevant when I'm trying to zone people and gain Dark Spells.

Vice

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, this is insanely unsafe. Captain is very unsafe without assists. Most people don't know how to punish him though. Literally 90% of the screen is a deadzone for him so if you have ANY option from those ranges, they're better than him.

Throw a shield from long range- can't convert.
Throw a shield from short range- they block it and then have time to punish you before your shield comes back.
Do a raw cartwheel, get punished since you're vulnerable for like 20 frames. The only way I could see this possibly working is if the shield is coming back to you while you're in the middle of your backflip, but even then they can just touch you and your shield loses its hitbox. Captain is a terrible anchor. Not because he can't kill you (if you get touched or thrown, you're probably going to die), but because he has very few options and almost none of them are safe.

The shield's return is what makes it safer. It will return while in recovery from the flip if you throw it from super jump or double jump height.

I know he's a poor anchor but you have to have something if it comes down to the wire.

Dahbomb

Whatever move you do will stuff out Vergil. You can throw out a dark matter and it will stuff him because he is vulnerable in the front. If the projectiles covered his body then that would be broke.

No one uses rapid slash in projectile wars.

Whatever move you do will stuff out Vergil. You can throw out a dark matter and it will stuff him because he is vulnerable in the front. If the projectiles covered his body then that would be broke.

Then he can be a meat shield for Chaotic Flame. ;-)

If I use Vergil's s.H to destroy a projectile, is that a "whiffed" attack?

Dahbomb

He will just take full damage from the chaotic flame. That's the worst thing you can do.with that assist outside of getting a happy birthday.

And yeah it still counts as a whiff last time I checked.

He will just take full damage from the chaotic flame. That's the worst thing you can do.with that assist outside of getting a happy birthday.

And yeah it still counts as a whiff last time I checked.
No no I mean that against characters like Hawkeye, I can't ever get the breathing room to punish with Chaotic Flame. I could call Vergil to eat some arrows so I can light up my opponent.

Looking at the frame data, what is to stop me from just doing Stinger into Judgment Cut over and over to chip out opponents? Judgment Cut is +12 in Devil Trigger, and Stinger has 12 startup frames.

Solune

I wouldn't say not to use Rapid Slash in projectile wars, It's very strong in locking down. If Karst wants to, he can throw out Dark Matter / Call Vergil xx Dark Spell and add in another Dark Hole for spacing and chip. It's pretty potent, I wouldn't necessarily call out Vergil to soak up projectiles because as you said he gets stuffed, but when combined with your own blockstun it's pretty hard to deal with.

Dahbomb

I know the super armor works as an assist.

Also when I meant rapid slash in projectile wars I meant using the durability on the slashes to negate other projectiles while bolstering your own that doesn't work because Vergil gets lit up. Rapid slash however is great for keep away if you can cover him. The push back on it is insane and gives most zoners much needed space. It's excellent for hawkeye.

Stinger + jc in dt works but push block prevents an infinite string.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
No clue why, all you have to do is jump back and make qcf motions to win. ;-D

But it's so god damn satisfying! In a game where it's predominantly rushdown it's great to just fuck up my opponents strategy.

The best is when they get desperate and start making stupid decisions. I think every character has at least one "desperation move" that a player will just throw out when they have no clue what to do against my zoning. I've seen a Nova do super jump S as a means to just try and hit me. Also seen fullscreen HCS. It's things like that make me glad to be playing a zoning team.

That said watching someone else zone is still boring for me. Don't know why.

But it's so god damn satisfying! In a game where it's predominantly rushdown it's great to just fuck up my opponents strategy.

The best is when they get desperate and start making stupid decisions. I think every character has at least one "desperation move" that a player will just throw out when they have no clue what to do against my zoning. I've seen a Nova do super jump S as a means to just try and hit me. Also seen fullscreen HCS. It's things like that make me glad to be playing a zoning team.

I tease you, but I know exactly what you're talking about. I love playing Deadpool, and I've OCVed so many people just by jumping back and doing that same QCF motion that it blows my mind. I'd love to do Deadpool/Dormammu/Morrigan, but Deadpool has absolutely no use for excess meter. I always end up with 5 bars and just blow meter on more chip because, hey, why not? He's such a fun character.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Actually my favorite desperation move would be when people pick a new team specifically to beat my zoning. Some guy chose Sent/Iron Man/Doom as a team to stop my Hawkeye. As soon as the match start it was nothing but Sent spit and Unibeam. It was great, one small opening and *woosh* Spritzer right through it all.

smurfx

get some go again

i'd like to have a zoning battle with you.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I think you'd totally beat me. Task Arrows with Hawkeye stuff sounds nasty. I don't know how much Vajra would help me there.

But if I somehow did manage to win the Hawkeye battle Task/Haggar are easy pickings.

Actually my favorite desperation move would be when people pick a new team specifically to beat my zoning. Some guy chose Sent/Iron Man/Doom as a team to stop my Hawkeye. As soon as the match start it was nothing but Sent spit and Unibeam. It was great, one small opening and *woosh* Spritzer right through it all.
I've noticed that in player matches, after someone loses with their "experimental team", they switch to Wesker 90% of the time. The more they lose, the more trenchcoats get added to the team, too. Hilarious when they still lose, maddening when they win.

If I use Vergil, I can still mock people who use "the trenchcoats", right?

smurfx

get some go again
I think you'd totally beat me. Task Arrows with Hawkeye stuff sounds nasty. I don't know how much Vajra would help me there.

But if I somehow did manage to win the Hawkeye battle Task/Haggar are easy pickings.
don't be so quick to write off task in that match up. haggar has a lot of problems against hawkeye but you would be surprised how many hawks i've beaten with him.

I played the hell out of the original MVC3 and sadly no longer own it. I'm itching to get back into MVC3 and I'm pretty tempted to pick up the Vita version of UMVC3.

Just a couple of questions:

1. Is the netcode drastically worse than the PS3 version?
2. Is there any cut content?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It might be a good idea to drop her and come back. Being a bit of a Morrigan fanboy, I tried her out very early on and realized I simply couldn't pull off her fly cancels at all. There's no reason to play the character if you can't do them - it's basically her whole game. So I picked other teams. About 6 months later I gave them a try and found them doable, but difficult. Now, on the left side I can create walls of fireballs like nobody's business. She's not a beginner-friendly character, though, for sure.

Yeah I'm actually really considering that. I'm currently running Morrigan/Dante/X-23, but from what I can tell I need to master fly canceling for Morrigan and bold canceling for Dante, so I may be looking to replace those two characters for the time being while I learn the game. I do really like X-23 though, so I'll probably keep her on for the time being.

Characters I'm considering:

Amaterasu
Chris Redfield
Dr. Doom
Frank West
Hawkeye
Hulk
Phoenix
Trish
Wesker

I also really like Iron Man but everyone here says he sucks lol, so I'm leaving him off the list.

Kioshen

I have a question for you Karsticles or anybody who plays Dormammu. My current team is Spencer(b)/Doom(b)/Ammy(b) but my sparring partner who helps me try to learn this game usually plays Nova/Frank/Dorm. After some back and forth it usually comes down to his Dorm on anchor with Ammy incoming ... and it goes downhill from there. He just throws that big ball to force me to block on incoming, pins me down with those purple pillars and being chipped to death is usually the end result. If by some miracle I'm able to get in, he just chicken blocks me all day and teleport away with the process resuming anew. I'm probably missing something obvious but do you have any pointers in that match up ? I'm on the verge of saying screw this and pick up Hawkeye (or Magnus or Sent ...) instead but I like the dog.

On another topic, I have a question for Spencer players around here. I'm trying to buckle down and learn those uvg combos from the SRK thread for Spencer but it's taking longer than I was anticipating. It's deceptively harder than it looks. Is there a simple somewhat universal middle screen combo that I could use with him. I know it involves TK M Air wire grapple but for the life of me can't figure what sequence I need to do around it. Every spencer info tidbits I've found involves advanced movement sequences that I can't pull off outside of training if at all. I'd like to use something simple and reliable to get match experience. It's fun working on combos but my defence is just trash and training mode won't help that.

Man it's hard being late to the marvel party.

Bizazedo

I played the hell out of the original MVC3 and sadly no longer own it. I'm itching to get back into MVC3 and I'm pretty tempted to pick up the Vita version of UMVC3.

The netcode is (probably) the same, but I hear there's a lot more rage quitters on Vita.

Personally I can't understand why anyone would want the handheld version as their one and only version of it, though.

No cut content. In fact, it even has stuff the console versions should have. I heard not all the backgrounds animate, though?

Bizazedo

I have a question for you Karsticles or anybody who plays Dormammu. My current team is Spencer(b)/Doom(b)/Ammy(b) but my sparring partner who helps me try to learn this game usually plays Nova/Frank/Dorm. After some back and forth it usually comes down to his Dorm on anchor with Ammy incoming ... and it goes downhill from there. He just throws that big ball to force me to block on incoming, pins me down with those purple pillars and being chipped to death is usually the end result. If by some miracle I'm able to get in, he just chicken blocks me all day and teleport away with the process resuming anew. I'm probably missing something obvious but do you have any pointers in that match up ? I'm on the verge of saying screw this and pick up Hawkeye (or Magnus or Sent ...) instead but I like the dog.

Karst will have more wordy / detailed advice, but have you tried killing Spencer, snapping out Doom for Dorm, and kill Dorm?

Granted, if your entry mix ups aren't good, it might not matter.

Odinson

Looking for a good point or anchor for my Thor (MS)/She-hulk(Torpedo) team. Tried Modok, Hsien-Ko, and RR. They didn't really click. Any suggestions?

alright I'm gonna try to bring my team online this weekend or maybe just throw myself at one of the tournaments in New Orleans and just get clobbered. Theres a couple people in the scene around here right?

I looked on SRK and found a guy named Gary with Glasses who plays Hulk/Sent/Spencer and apparently plays around here. I want to head over there and see how he plays hulk/sent and see what he thinks of IM in that stuff.

Kioshen

Karst will have more wordy / detailed advice, but have you tried killing Spencer, snapping out Doom for Dorm, and kill Dorm?

Granted, if your entry mix ups aren't good, it might not matter.

I think you mixed teams up although that paragraph is kinda packed. My team is Spencer, Doom, Dog. His is Nova, Frank, Dormammu. If I snap Dormammu in early, I'll have to deal with a lame Dormammu + shopping cart which is even more of a pain since he'll have excellent horizontal coverage. I still can't do ToD combos so I have to rely on one or two mix up to kill.

I could do Bionic arm through one of his assist call and stay in until he croaks. Spencer vs Dorm I feel is a better matchup compared to my other characters. I wonder how I could build a combo to do a snap with Spencer. Maybe using cold star after a pick up to snap, call missiles, jump meaty s, land, confirm hit, uvg, dial-a-finish to the best of my abilities.

smurfx

get some go again
alright I'm gonna try to bring my team online this weekend or maybe just throw myself at one of the tournaments in New Orleans and just get clobbered. Theres a couple people in the scene around here right?

I looked on SRK and found a guy named Gary with Glasses who plays Hulk/Sent/Spencer and apparently plays around here. I want to head over there and see how he plays hulk/sent and see what he thinks of IM in that stuff.
zangiefan plays hulk/sent so watch some of his fights on youtube.

JeTmAn81

There should be a good amount of footage of Gary with Glasses on Youtube as well. He's a fairly well known player. A good Hulk player.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Who would you guys suggest as a good third character to go with Wesker and X-23? I'm replacing my Morrigan/Dante/X-23 team with a more beginner-friendly team that is not reliant on fly/bold cancels, so I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

don't be so quick to write off task in that match up. haggar has a lot of problems against hawkeye but you would be surprised how many hawks i've beaten with him.
Why did you change girls in your avatar?

From hearsay, the netcode is better, but there are a lot of ragequitters, and there is added content - none cut.

Yeah I'm actually really considering that. I'm currently running Morrigan/Dante/X-23, but from what I can tell I need to master fly canceling for Morrigan and bold canceling for Dante, so I may be looking to replace those two characters for the time being while I learn the game. I do really like X-23 though, so I'll probably keep her on for the time being.

Characters I'm considering:

Amaterasu
Chris Redfield
Dr. Doom
Frank West
Hawkeye
Hulk
Phoenix
Trish
Wesker

I also really like Iron Man but everyone here says he sucks lol, so I'm leaving him off the list.
I think this is wise for now. You decided on Wesker/X-23, and my advice for you being new is to slap a good projectile on that team for teleport cross-ups. So either run Hawkeye, Chris, or Dr. Doom. Of the three, Dr. Doom is definitely the most difficult to use. I think Hawkeye and Chris are both pretty simple characters.

Of your opponent has Dormammu on anchor, it's simply a rule that you need to save X-Factor to turtle through his level 3 X-Factor. If he's throwing a lot of Purifications out there, you need to do ground dashes canceled into crouching blocks to approach, and take it slow. When Amaterasu is in XF3, switch to the Glaive. It's pretty hard to hit Dormammu with the disk in 1v1 if he's being very defensive, but the Glaive has much better reach and can even hit from around superjump height. You can also use the Rosary Beads, but only if you're good at swapping to other weapons mid-combo so your hits can hurt. If Dormammu is throwing Stalking Flare for you block as your character comes in, it's a blessing - Dormammu has full-on unblockables against Frank West coming in that guarantee his death. Be glad your friend doesn't know them. ;-)

smurfx

get some go again
I noticed this but didn't give it much consideration. It is a big deal! Smurfx has finally dumped that Alizee and is out on the town with a new lady.
this is alizee. in fact i've used nothing but her since i signed on to neogaf. so while i changed my old one it still keeps the theme going.
Yeah wtf smurf. I could have sworn you saying in the Coolio thread that you don't understand why people change their avatars.
i dislike it when people change their avatars just for the hell of it. i've actually been wanting to change it for a while. it was either this or this pic.

http://i.imgur.com/ZbuIg.jpg

i'm waiting to see if the guys from the avatar request thread can make it look good since i suck at sharpening pics.

JeTmAn81

this is alizee. in fact i've used nothing but her since i signed on to neogaf. so while i changed my old one its still keeping with the theme.

*facepalm* She looks really different in that pic. Plastic surgery? Also, why are you so into this chick?

Bizazedo

No, but I've been aware of internet guy obsession concerning her for at least 10 years and I've never understood what the unique appeal is.

Phew.

Actually, I dunno why. Smurf's new Avatar of her is horrendous, admittedly, and not a good look. And she hit her prime years ago.

It was probably because when she blew up, she looked like a cute, small, girl next door who could sing well and dance in an enticing manner.

Plus, foreign.

smurfx

get some go again
No, but I've been aware of internet guy obsession concerning her for at least 10 years and I've never understood what the unique appeal is.
well brunettes=my fav so that pretty much tells you why i like her. although to be honest my original alizee avatar was just a placeholder till i found something else since i didn't want to use my ign avatar but i just got lazy and kept it.

smurfx

get some go again
Actually, I dunno why. Smurf's new Avatar of her is horrendous, admittedly, and not a good look. And she hit her prime years ago.

It was probably because when she blew up, she looked like a cute, small, girl next door who could sing well and dance in an enticing manner.

Plus, foreign.
really? i prefer the way she looks now than when she debuted.

ibxbGRkvSzULYm.gif

oh crap didn't mean to make a new post. well this is the last i'll post about this since this isn't the thread for this. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom