• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the players in Japan are having issues with the netcode, that's a really bad sign. (And Atlus doesn't have the best code to begin with.) Better to wait a few days rather than blow $60 day 1, imo.
Don't take the opinions of a tiny minority so seriously. It could be an isolated case for all you know.
Atlus didn't develop the game, though. ASW made it, and just take a look at BB's online code for reference.

Also, I usually get online after like a month-long session of training mode and offline matches with the offline crew, so whatevs.

But enough ASW talk. I don't want the residential ASW hater to get grumpy. :3
Don't worry about him. He is always grumpy.

JeTmAn81

its too small!

KByXH.png

use this. or this if you want it a little different.

v19nP.png

or show me a pic you like and i can try and make an avatar out of it.

Thanks, I used the first one. The previous one was the best one I could find.

Tobe

btw cita was talking about how vergil says here i am when he teleports, the thing is jp language doesn't have this the only cue for it the different teleport blur.

Azure J

So, today's rundown of things:

- Remember this Dante snapback video? I was trying to experiment with getting it consistent today and failing because I couldn't get the orientation down for the Hammer after discovering the timing necessary to always wind up behind them as they come in. (Seriously, this is hilariously broken and funny to look at.) Interestingly enough, there's room for a second setup with the most brainless act ever, a dash j.M/H. Since the dash autocorrects you wherever you appear, I'm thinking about how I can make a conversion into a full series from a j.M/H at a certain height. The most obvious answer coming to mind is the shot loop variant where you go j.MH - Air Play - j.H touch down on ground and do the S xx Clay Pigeon loop, but I'm wondering if the height of the initial contact will kill that dream.

- Anybody have notations on that Strider BnB Clockwork uses latety is? The one with an Ame-no-Murakame/qcf+atk involved.

- TAC combos are so hilariously fun to do, but fuck if they aren't the hardest things to practice, especially with Dante's limited time to fly around in Devil Trigger.

- Magneto is the truth and Dormammu is cool as fuck.

I know this video is super old, but I've never seen it. Some of the best Morrigan combos I've ever seen. I had no idea she could combo into Astral Vision solo. That's just one step away from sick solo Soul Drain combos! :-O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqeBIuZs3w0

I feel bad man, I know for a fact I've hyped up some of those Byakko videos as the second coming regarding Morrigan before. :p

And you're talking about her f.H xx Astral Vision setups right?

Yeah, the Astral Vision setups. Since Rapid Slash causes a soft knockdown (always, right?), I think I might be able to land 4 Soul Drains in one Morrigan combo with this setup.

Theoryfighter combo:
j.S, c.LMH, f.H, Astral Vision, qcf.L, qcb.S, qcf.H, qcb.S, call Dark Hole, qcf.L, qcb.S, qcf.S, qcb.S, s.S, call Rapid Slash, j.S, land, qcf.S

Something like that is my thinking.

Azure J

I think that's all sound, but I would definitely check up on the soft knockdown properties Rapid Slash would have at that point of the combo. I feel weird remembering certain moves should do soft knockdown as assists only to see people flip out on contact as has been happening with me using Estaka late in combos. What gives with that anyway?

I think that's all sound, but I would definitely check up on the soft knockdown properties Rapid Slash would have at that point of the combo. I feel weird remembering certain moves should do soft knockdown as assists only to see people flip out on contact as has been happening with me using Estaka late in combos. What gives with that anyway?
Assists were changed in Ultimate to undergo normal hitstun scaling.

Clockw0rk

- Anybody have notations on that Strider BnB Clockwork uses latety is? The one with an Ame-no-Murakame/qcf+atk involved.

Assuming you're talking about the double Gram combo, it goes:

S (sj cancel) j. M xx dbl jump fwd j. H S, land, formation b summon, formation b shot, wall cling, cling L M H xx Gram H, land, formation b summon, Gram L, formation b shot, vajra xx Legion

You have to delay the cancel from dive off the wall into Gram H to make sure you have enough time to summon formation B and Gram L before the opponent lands!

Azure J

S (sj cancel) j. M xx dbl jump fwd j. H S, land, formation b summon, formation b shot, wall cling, cling L M H xx Gram H, land, formation b summon, Gram L, formation b shot, vajra xx Legion

You have to delay the cancel from dive off the wall into Gram H to make sure you have enough time to summon formation B and Gram L before the opponent lands!

That's actually my one and only combo with Strider right there. :lol

I could swear I remember seeing something pretty different that you used during the SBO qualifiers recently.

JeTmAn81

Thanks, man. It's great to have your contributions here. Wasn't something rather like this combo in the guide as well, or perhaps training mode? Actually now I think the one AzureJericho meant might be the one that starts with a ground series into Ame-no-murakamo for a ground bounce into further comboage.

It's funny, as soon as I saw Panda's post about his "Strider being horrendous" it just reminded me I've been meaning to dig up Clockw0rk's most recent vids and try to copy his Strider stuff. It's definitely the best I've seen, though that Chou guy is really good too, love his point Strider. I really need to spend some time in training mode with XF3 Strider as well, I tend to just freak out and mash buttons in Ouroboros.

I still want to see if my one reset idea could play out decently in a real match, too. It involves going into a hard knockdown, then calling an assist and doing Strider's slide to pop them up, then jump cancelling a launcher into Vajra H for a surprise knockdown. It looks pretty cool anyway.

Azure J

It's funny, as soon as I saw Beef's post about his "Strider being horrendous" it just reminded me I've been meaning to dig up Clockw0rk's most recent vids and try to copy his Strider stuff. It's definitely the best I've seen, though that Chou guy is really good too, love his point Strider. I really need to spend some time in training mode with XF3 Stride as well, I tend to just freak out and mash buttons in Ouroboros.

It's funny that today I decided to put some time into leveling up Ammy and Strider and then I remember all the stuff I wanted to go back and look at from Clock only to get a response from him, so you aren't the only one who was thinking that way. :lol

XF3 Strider to me is all about looping Exalibur L as many times as you can. That thing melts characters.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, I wanted nothing more today than to get home at a reasonable hour and play around with my new X-23/Wesker/Hawkeye team, and yet I am most likely going to be at the office until midnight. Wooo.

I liked when people called me mini-desk more than master theory fighter. I don't even know when that happened. I've been sharing combos forever, but this theory fighting stuff only started with Marvel. I guess it's because I don't have console internet anymore and all I could do most of the time is sit in training mode and analyze matches :-(

I like reverse-engineering design philosophy, I don't know why I argue about what people should be doing. I only really care about game mechanics and balancing, I don't really have an interest in the actual competitive scene. I should stick to working on design documents.

What makes it so good to begin with?
It's amazing at crossing up opponents. Deadpool spends a lot of time jumping toward his opponent and either canceling into a Ninja Gift or going into Trigger Happy L (which leads to full combos). Sometimes, you fake your opponent out and just j.S for a low overhead.

I liked when people called me mini-desk more than master theory fighter. I don't even know when that happened. I've been sharing combos forever, but this theory fighting stuff only started with Marvel. I guess it's because I don't have console internet anymore and all I could do most of the time is sit in training mode and analyze matches :-(

I like reverse-engineering design philosophy, I don't know why I argue about what people should be doing. I only really care about game mechanics and balancing, I don't really have an interest in the actual competitive scene. I should stick to working on design documents.
Let it all out GB.

Let it all out GB.

I don't know why I'm the go-to theory fighter, you understand the practical benefits of this stuff more than I do. But my inbox is full of people asking me to break down team configurations for them and stuff. It's fun and I understand the tech side, but I don't always know what's best for matches.

I approach training mode like a puzzle, not a competition.

Solune

Yeah, the Astral Vision setups. Since Rapid Slash causes a soft knockdown (always, right?), I think I might be able to land 4 Soul Drains in one Morrigan combo with this setup.

No, Rapid Slash is like Tatsu where later in combos it will not cause soft knockdown. Usually after a 2nd relaunch they will pop out but the spinning state is still long enough for most combo extensions.

Mad Wheel is his Wade's best normal imo, shoutouts to that one guy doing it 6 times in a row till it worked :lol. His st. L, slide, j.S and Mad Wheel are all pretty deece, the rest are serviceable. I don't like that he's such a lightweight though, woulda thought he'd have at least 1.0.

Also today was humble pie Thursday.

Got bopped something serious by a point Haggar player (aptly named RespectTheMayor), ate every reset and couldn't stop laughing at the pain train. Know it's bad when my nephews are making fun of me while I'm losing (and I rarely if ever lose as badly as I was during that set...just yuck). Was great experience though, need to come back with a MUCH better plan and better execution of said plan.

GGs Biz, awoke the Saltsui No Hado in me hahaha. Great stuff as always, scraped me pretty cleanly imo. Score was way closer than it felt too (and it wasn't that close either). I can always count on Scum-23 to get me a few undeserved wins.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Well I finally got home about an hour ago and played around with Wesker and Hawkeye. They're pretty fun, but damn are they different from Morrigan and Dante. Pretty much all I've done since I've gotten the game a few weeks ago was practice Morrigan and a little bit of X-23, so my timing for Wesker/Hawkeye's stuff was all over the place. Need to get some more practice time in and get in the groove of their combo timings.

Well I finally got home about an hour ago and played around with Wesker and Hawkeye. They're pretty fun, but damn are they different from Morrigan and Dante. Pretty much all I've done since I've gotten the game a few weeks ago was practice Morrigan and a little bit of X-23, so my timing for Wesker/Hawkeye's stuff was all over the place. Need to get some more practice time in and get in the groove of their combo timings.
Luckily, Wesker has some of the easiest combos in the game.

I was getting walloped by an XF3 Dormammu, and Raging Demon'd through his Chaotic Flame that he used to try and chip me and won the match.

I think that's a good a time as any to hang it up for the night.

Kellen

I had umvc for awhile but whenever me and my brother would play we would just mess around/mash. I'm trying to actually improve at the game and what not now. Are the missions even worth doing? Do they help at all or should I just go online and watch combo vids for characters I want to play?

I had umvc for awhile but whenever me and my brother would play we would just mess around/mash. I'm trying to actually improve at the game and what not now. Are the missions even worth doing? Do they help at all or should I just go online and watch combo vids for characters I want to play?

For most character they give you pretty stupid combos that you won't ever do.

If anything it helps you understand the timing and rhythm of the combos. So they are actually kind of worth trying out if you're new not for the combos but just for knowledge of how combos work.

I was getting walloped by an XF3 Dormammu, and Raging Demon'd through his Chaotic Flame that he used to try and chip me and won the match.

I think that's a good a time as any to hang it up for the night.
Always end on a high note!

They're generally worth doing through #7. After that they start to get into team specific crap, usually.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't know why I'm the go-to theory fighter, you understand the practical benefits of this stuff more than I do. But my inbox is full of people asking me to break down team configurations for them and stuff. It's fun and I understand the tech side, but I don't always know what's best for matches.

I approach training mode like a puzzle, not a competition.

This is why I always poked fun of your theory stuff cause a majority of it just wouldnt cut it in real scenarios. Always seemed more like random fun type stuff than actual serious ideas. Hilarious that you get inbox messages LOL

smurfx

get some go again
Also today was humble pie Thursday.

Got bopped something serious by a point Haggar player (aptly named RespectTheMayor), ate every reset and couldn't stop laughing at the pain train. Know it's bad when my nephews are making fun of me while I'm losing (and I rarely if ever lose as badly as I was during that set...just yuck). Was great experience though, need to come back with a MUCH better plan and better execution of said plan.
hehe i remember telling you guys about him a while back. i friend requested him right away.

Marz

Hey Marvel Gaf I know im a noob and I ask annoying questions but you guys seem like a friendly crowd so fuck it lol.

I've been messing around with Super Skrull and was pleased to find out he can relaunch by himself with his Down Aerial Heavy (don't know notation sorry)....can he only do this once?

Any basic BnB's I should always be doing with Skrull? He seems to do a ton of damage so I can't imagine him having super complicated combos.

I'm attempting to play him with Doctor Doom and Dormammu and Dorm has ass assists and it seems like Skrull does as well?

Can any of his assists benefit Doom or Dorm?

What order should he be placed in the team? I was thinking point but i'm not sure.

Why is his Airdash so shitty?

Hey Marvel Gaf I know im a noob and I ask annoying questions but you guys seem like a friendly crowd so fuck it lol.

I've been messing around with Super Skrull and was pleased to find out he can relaunch by himself with his Down Aerial Heavy (don't know notation sorry)....can he only do this once?

Any basic BnB's I should always be doing with Skrull? He seems to do a ton of damage so I can't imagine him having super complicated combos.

I'm attempting to play him with Doctor Doom and Dormammu and Dorm has ass assists and it seems like Skrull does as well?

Can any of his assists benefit Doom or Dorm?

What order should he be placed in the team? I was thinking point but i'm not sure.

Why is his Airdash so shitty?
I type down aerial heavy as j.d+H.

Generally, j.d+H uses up Skrull's ground bounce, and you can only do it once per combo. There is an exception, but it's hard to do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WELc7zIcr8A

Basic Skrull bnb is pretty magic series-ish. Use j.d+H to relaunch, or, if you used your ground bounce already, use his charged Stone Smite (s.H).

If you're using Skrull with Doom, I recommend Molecular Shield. It lets you Meteor Smash whenever you want and makes it completely safe.

Stone Smite lets Dormammu relaunch, Orbital Grudge has super armor, and Tenderizer is best as a corner pin or for corner relaunches. Use Dark Hole on incoming characters, combined with Elastic Slam H, to get a free command grab attempt (basically, call it so that if you guess wrong, your opponent is put in block stun as he/she lands).

Skrull's air dash is awesome. Use it to air throw aerial opponents at mid-screen range, position your j.d+H, get j.S (charged) out, and land delayed Meteor Smashes.

Team order is mostly preference-based, though I don't recommend Dormammu on point.

Marz

I type down aerial heavy as j.d+H.

Generally, j.d+H uses up Skrull's ground bounce, and you can only do it once per combo. There is an exception, but it's hard to do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WELc7zIcr8A

Basic Skrull bnb is pretty magic series-ish. Use j.d+H to relaunch, or, if you used your ground bounce already, use his charged Stone Smite (s.H).

If you're using Skrull with Doom, I recommend Molecular Shield. It lets you Meteor Smash whenever you want and makes it completely safe.

Stone Smite lets Dormammu relaunch, Orbital Grudge has super armor, and Tenderizer is best as a corner pin or for corner relaunches. Use Dark Hole on incoming characters, combined with Elastic Slam H, to get a free command grab attempt (basically, call it so that if you guess wrong, your opponent is put in block stun as he/she lands).

Skrull's air dash is awesome. Use it to air throw aerial opponents at mid-screen range, position your j.d+H, get j.S (charged) out, and land delayed Meteor Smashes.

Team order is mostly preference-based, though I don't recommend Dormammu on point.

Thanks man good stuff to know i'm gonna mess around with this team and see how I like it. Seems like there's not that many Skrull players which is weird because he's pretty awesome.

kirblar

Infrit v Wolf (something something): Match of the week. Check it out. Don't want to spoil, because it's the best thing ever. (Runback, 7/27, around 3:30am est)

Bizazedo

GGs Biz, awoke the Saltsui No Hado in me hahaha. Great stuff as always, scraped me pretty cleanly imo. Score was way closer than it felt too (and it wasn't that close either). I can always count on Scum-23 to get me a few undeserved wins.

Yeah, GG's. I kind of wish we could record them. I suppose I could, but need to set my PVR back up. It'd be cool to review 'em and show 'em off since some crazy things happen. Sometimes we play solid and sometimes we're both gimmicky as fuck.

My Vergil is progressing at a snail's pace. I am so bad at picking up characters, even derp ones.

The thing is I don't even know how we criticize each other anymore since we're playing Biz vs Sasa, not our teams versus each other, if that makes sense.

It does help trying new things / encouraging trying new things and getting the rhythm of sequences down, I guess. And it has leveled my team up at least (yay for marathon sessions!).

Nova is one of the few characters who has useful missions past #7.

Wesker, too, amusingly.

Frantic

Mad Wheel is his Wade's best normal imo, shoutouts to that one guy doing it 6 times in a row till it worked :lol. His st. L, slide, j.S and Mad Wheel are all pretty deece, the rest are serviceable. I don't like that he's such a lightweight though, woulda thought he'd have at least 1.0.
I always find it funny that Deadpool has two swords, but he has zero normals that use them. Deadpool is such a nut.

Also, I need to play you and Biz again sometime. Keep seeing you and Biz talking about your matches, and it makes me realize I need to get some in sometime. I bet I'm really rusty, heh.

smurfx

get some go again
I always find it funny that Deadpool has two swords, but he has zero normals that use them. Deadpool is such a nut.

Also, I need to play you and Biz again sometime. Keep seeing you and Biz talking about your matches, and it makes me realize I need to get some in sometime. I bet I'm really rusty, heh.
it would help if you weren't hiding all the time. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom