• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I do with Nova at the moment but because it's not an OTG assist I have to do ankle slicer instead of neck. Also have to pause a bit after his assist because the ground bounce launches the enemy a bit too high to immediately relaunch. Was tricky to time the assist at first but I can get it consistently now and it does great damage. Another cool Nova/X-23 combo is to end your combo with Super Nova, quickly DHC for the hard knockdown, then activate dirtnap, Anklle Slicer, hit S for the dirt nap to combo and if necessary relaunch with Ankle Slicer again and hyper or X-Factor relaunch. It's not always the most practical combo as it costs 4 meters or more, but it looks stylish as fuck. So if it's gonna KO a team it's super fun to go for.

In case Hawkeye dies, that DHC is the only thing I have beteween Spidey/x-23 that makes sense to use -- the rest of the combinations don't work or I get more damge from Spidey continuing off his own hypers. Other way around, MS works off everything off course.

It's such a badass DHC. Bothers me that its tougher to do on big characters (ala her trouble OTGing Dorm or Sentinel properly) if not spaced fairly decently.

GB, you're probably right on Wecker. I've used him (and 80 percent of the cast) less than 10 times probably.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't work on everyone, in addition to what everyone else said iirc.

Also, if you have X-23 and an OTG assist, if you can manage it:

(most of your current combo, end at A.qcf L [Talon Dive L]), call otg assist, charge qcf L (neck slicer), S, sj, jH, dp H (Crescent Scythe H), qcf L (Talon Dive L), charge ankle slicer, hyper.

The second launch series has to be done faster or they'll fall out, but you can probably get it with a bit of practice.

The first combo does less damage probably because there's another magic series starting with L in there (L's are mostly for cracking people, AA'ing for certain characters, or making links where you have to use them). Damage scaling kicks in pretty fast so you want to get your heavier hitting moves in early and often in the game.

Ooh that seems fancy, I'll check it out. I still don't know how to incorporate assists into my combos so I'm excited to try this out.

And yeah I can sometimes get the Samurai Edge -> d.M to connect with Wesker if he has his glasses off, but never with his glasses on. Weirddd.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Wesker is a bit faster with his glasses off.

You can try cr. L or st. L after the gunshot. Not as hard to time it but it'll do less damage in your combo.

No one to play with. :-(

OH EM GEE YOU GUYS I can do X-23 feint cancels! I am feeling so pr0 right now.

Edit: OK question, how does this combo:

LMH xx qcb.L LMHS sj.MMH d.H qcf. L land qcf. M (charge) qcf. XX

do less damage than this:

LMHS sj.MMH d.H qcf. L land qcf. M (charge) qcf. XX

The only difference is that the first combo has an LMH feint cancel into an LMHS, whereas the second goes straight into the LMHS? Is there even a point to doing the first combo, which is more complicated, than just doing the second one, which does more damage?
Longer combos often do less damage due to more Ls or Ms. Check out the difference in meter built, though. Meter is generally more important than damage unless the difference is 100K IMO.

Also, if someone could be so kind as to explain how to follow up Wesker's Samurai Edge OTG with his d.M I would really appreciate it. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the d.M to connect.
You have to do it early in the combo, so like c.LMH, qcf.L, dash, df.H, c.M. If you launch first, you won't be able to pick your opponent up.

Edit:
Do you all think it's better do df.H at the end of Vergil's combos and go for an air throw/crossunder, or leave the opponent on the ground and try for a Round Trip mix-up?

Mind is blown moment: I can't cancel SHSHSH into Stinger, haha. No wonder some of my stuff wasn't working...

Darksim

Do you all think it's better do df.H at the end of Vergil's combos and go for an air throw/crossunder, or leave the opponent on the ground and try for a Round Trip mix-up?

Depends, the only thing you can really do to someone at that height is throw them, which won't work after a few times. It's also ill advised to attempt that sort of thing if they have a foodai, their own derp breaker, or other such BS air normal. You also have to guess where they tech, and if you don't guess right, a character like magneto can just air dash > flight > and dip while Vergil has to wait until he lands on the ground.

If you leave them on the ground, you once again need to be careful of where they tech (don't throw round trip) so you don't get yourself killed. One thing you can do is then activate swords and stinger dash cancel towards their predicted tech to cross over them. It's very safe in comparison.

Personally, I think you should just kill the opponent with Vergils combos, but assuming you were in sword loops (or, anywhere really) c.H > Stinger > M teleport with no wall bounce available is a much better reset than either of those. If you have enough hitstun left, you teleport behind them, they promptly fly back over you, then they air tech and you get to reset them on the ground for a left/right/air grab mixup along with whatever assists you want to use. Experiment with it to find out what exactly happens at what point in a combo.

Depends, the only thing you can really do to someone at that height is throw them, which won't work after a few times. It's also ill advised to attempt that sort of thing if they have a foodai, their own derp breaker, or other such BS air normal. You also have to guess where they tech, and if you don't guess right, a character like magneto can just air dash > flight > and dip while Vergil has to wait until he lands on the ground.

If you leave them on the ground, you once again need to be careful of where they tech (don't throw round trip) so you don't get yourself killed. One thing you can do is then activate swords and stinger dash cancel towards their predicted tech to cross over them. It's very safe in comparison.

Personally, I think you should just kill the opponent with Vergils combos, but assuming you were in sword loops (or, anywhere really) c.H > Stinger > M teleport with no wall bounce available is a much better reset than either of those. If you have enough hitstun left, you teleport behind them, they promptly fly back over you, then they air tech and you get to reset them on the ground for a left/right/air grab mixup along with whatever assists you want to use. Experiment with it to find out what exactly happens at what point in a combo.
Welcome to GAF, Darksim.

I would like to just kill my opponent with Vergil combos, but I'm just not there yet. It's day 2 of Vergil, and I like to feel very comfortable with my character before messing around with advanced combos.

I actually thought about that Stinger -> Teleport setup last night before falling asleep, but forgot about it this morning. I'll mess around with it. I used to do a similar setup with Firebrand sometimes, using Bon Voyage twice, and after the second one using Hell Elevator M, Hell Dive M, j.S for a really low overhead as my opponent recovered. I only used it once every few matches if I happened to be low on meter, but it was effective.

If the teleport reset turns not to not be great, I'll start working on the Round Trip vortex. The air throw reset off of df.H was becoming tiresome because if it gets teched my opponent gets an assist call out while landing, and my neutral game is reset. I'd like to keep the pressure up once I have it, even if the resets aren't as strong. If I can get both, great!

I'm still not used to not having rapid attacks or special cancelable normals on my point character. I keep running up to people as they recover to c.L them, throw it out too early, and am wide open for a counter attack - very frustrating.

Frantic

I love it, though. Using Nova Smash is probably wiser, but eh.
The Triple Centurion looks cooler, though! That's always more important than practicality. :p
I went for a lot of shot loops for that swag that I was unable to complete. I blame fatigue.

Whatcha think of the Rocket Punches? I had been playing offline immediately prior to playing you and was in a giddy mood.
You mean the wallbounce/crumple one? I kept getting smacked by it, just because I'm not used to you throwing it out there. I was usually expecting a box-dash j.H or a slide, resulting in me getting smacked right in the face. If I'm expecting it, I can usually get an airthrow punish if it's an aerial version. Ground version is a bit trickier, but I'm pretty sure I can punish it with either an empty jump into whatever or an upback into whatever depending on the character. Still a good tactic since I will always run into it every once in a while. :p

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
From the uploader.

"I tested tag, and when done with proper timing I couldn't ever get it to escape. Some supers were able to get out, but that's probably because I had off timing. Like I said, the unblockable is supposedly 1f, meaning nothing can be input because a human player can't active an attack within 1f. Let me try and research the unblockable more and talk to some M.O.D.O.K players and then I'll let you all know how it works. Then I can try some other setups to escape it."
wozscreamer 17 hours ago

From the uploader.

"I tested tag, and when done with proper timing I couldn't ever get it to escape. Some supers were able to get out, but that's probably because I had off timing. Like I said, the unblockable is supposedly 1f, meaning nothing can be input because a human player can't active an attack within 1f. Let me try and research the unblockable more and talk to some M.O.D.O.K players and then I'll let you all know how it works. Then I can try some other setups to escape it."
wozscreamer 17 hours ago
I read it, but the question is "why doesn't raw tag let him escape"?

Tirael

Raw tagging isn't timing dependent, is it? You just hold the button and when you hit the ground, as soon as you can, you switch. Does it take more than one frame to do it?

Raw tagging isn't timing dependent, is it? You just hold the button and when you hit the ground, as soon as you can, you switch. Does it take more than one frame to do it?
It doesn't even take a frame to initiate. I know this because people can raw tag with a Stalking Flare on top of them. If the player was vulnerable for a frame, he'd be burning. It's not time dependent, you just hold the button. In fact, when Luminous Body -> Stalking Flare and raw tag Firebrand back in, I start holding the assist button right after I do the Stalking Flare input, so I'm holding it for a good 3 seconds before Firebrand comes on the screen. Maybe once every 20 inputs it won't work for some reason.

sephi22

In case Hawkeye dies, that DHC is the only thing I have beteween Spidey/x-23 that makes sense to use -- the rest of the combinations don't work or I get more damge from Spidey continuing off his own hypers. Other way around, MS works off everything off course.
You probably know this but you CAN DHC Maximum Spider into Weapon X prime.
Mentioning because I didn't know Spidey could DHC MS into stuff like Emerald Cannon and WXP.

I'll hop on if you can tolerate my scrubby Vergil.

GGs Karst. Condor Missile was on to something because Captain Iron Man is such a scumbag duo. His support is so awesome.

You probably know this but you CAN DHC Maximum Spider into Weapon X prime.
Mentioning because I didn't know Spidey could DHC MS into stuff like Emerald Cannon and WXP.

Yeah I think he can, its just one of those weird timing issues that are height dependent too I think. My Vanilla team doesn't work anymore because web throw, ms used to be perfect height to dhc Proton Cannon, not so anymore.

GGs, Captain America is my kryptonite. Sorry to bail suddenly, I got a phone call from my wife. We'll play again soon. I was enjoying myself. I don't get the Stalking Flare vs. Proton Cannon interaction. Sometimes Flare wins, sometimes Cannon does.

You can replace Iron Man with Chris and get the same effect, I think.

This is SO sick. Great combo video.

I've seen Chris G screwing around with those Jaguar Knee (or whatever it's called) combos, and it's reminded me of the gun loop too. Why is it that nobody is stepping their shit up with Wesker or even attempting gun loops when they were found months ago? Are gun loops that impractical?

From what I can tell they're not needed. He can do basic combos that will build similar meter and do similar damage to these fancy combos.

I know this sounds weird, but I feel I do best with Vergil when I run around throwing S out.

Does Stinger destroy projectiles?

Fantastic. Too be he didn't go through all the Liberations, haha.

This is SO sick. Great combo video.

I've seen Chris G screwing around with those Jaguar Knee (or whatever it's called) combos, and it's reminded me of the gun loop too. Why is it that nobody is stepping their shit up with Wesker or even attempting gun loops when they were found months ago? Are gun loops that impractical?
The same reason we haven't seen a single Wolverine jump loop.

Dahbomb

Wesker upgraded from Wecker to SWesker.

Does Stinger destroy projectiles?
No. The best way to know which normals negate projectiles is to check which sword he is using. He uses two different swords, the Yamato (the katana) and the Force Edge (the broad sword similar to Dante's). The Yamato sword normals (not the ones where he smacks with his sheath) negate projectiles but not the Force Edge normals. That includes j.M and j.H as well but not Helm Breaker, Hightime and Stinger. The Force Edge moves are also the ones that you don't have access to when you throw out Round Trip.

S is a great button for Vergil.

Dahbomb

I want to troll the All Stars Battle Royale thread so bad...

LOL @ DmC Dante being in the game. Promotion much? SolarPowered must be furious over it (since he disapproves of characters being in the game who don't even have their games out yet or have no pedigree).

V_Arnold

I want to troll the All Stars Battle Royale thread so bad...

LOL @ DmC Dante being in the game. Promotion much? SolarPowered must be furious over it (since he disapproves of characters being in the game who don't even have their games out yet or have no pedigree).

Well, I do not know, actually. I know it is a bit off-topic to discuss it here, but to have Vanilla over almost any previous big FF names show that they want to be relevant, not "the best", regarding character-list. MVC is timeless, it MUST have the original Dante for it, but the All-Stars would do just fine with the new one. So yeah, might be promotion, but might be just the design idea behind the roster.

xCobalt

I keep telling myself to start playing marvel but I never play it for too long for some reason...might start again. I can hit damaging combos pretty consistently but the thing I'm lacking is movement and the ability to capitalize off of stray hits. Any way I can improve this in training mode or does it just come naturally over many games?

Also, I may need some advice concerning my team. At the moment I'm running Dorammu(pillar)/Thor(spark)/Akuma(tatsu). Not sure if that's the optimal team order. Only chose Akuma because I can't find a third character I like and he has a good assist for Thor.

I want to play. 360?

Well, what's your tag? I can't invite you if I don't know :|

Btw, does anyone know what's the actual source for this?

tumblr_m7y59l6yiV1rzzip3o1_500.jpg

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I would totally join your lobby if:

1. I was any good
2. I was not at the office

Some other time. On the plus side I watched The Dark Knight Rises earlier and it is one hell of a movie.

smurfx

get some go again
Didn't we play on Kadey's lobby once and it was laggier than fucking hell though?
his connection is way better. i got 5 bars last time i played him and it was usually at 3 or 4 back in the day. also lets not forget that kadey is streaming while we play so that is going to make the lag worse.

his connection is way better. i got 5 bars last time i played him and it was usually at 3 or 4 back in the day. also lets not forget that kadey is streaming while we play so that is going to make the lag worse.

Well, I guess that's true. Still, if he gets a playable connection with you, and you get a playable connection with me then I guess we'll have a playable connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom