• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
New tech discovered?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/637240-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3/63564898

Oh yeah, and Morrigan vs. Hawkeye is one of the most frustrating fights in the game. Goddamn. I hate having to superjump just to even have a chance to approach.

I want to troll the All Stars Battle Royale thread so bad...

LOL @ DmC Dante being in the game. Promotion much? SolarPowered must be furious over it (since he disapproves of characters being in the game who don't even have their games out yet or have no pedigree).
Oh dear lord is it hard not to troll. I've thought that game would be terrible since I first saw it, and seeing him in there is like God came in and personally stamped the game with a failure stamp. I wonder if Sony just knew they couldn't top the job done with Dante in this game, so they chose another version. Can you imagine that team even trying to incorporate DMC3 Dante after this glorious incarnation?

No. The best way to know which normals negate projectiles is to check which sword he is using. He uses two different swords, the Yamato (the katana) and the Force Edge (the broad sword similar to Dante's). The Yamato sword normals (not the ones where he smacks with his sheath) negate projectiles but not the Force Edge normals. That includes j.M and j.H as well but not Helm Breaker, Hightime and Stinger. The Force Edge moves are also the ones that you don't have access to when you throw out Round Trip.

S is a great button for Vergil.
Cool.

I keep telling myself to start playing marvel but I never play it for too long for some reason...might start again. I can hit damaging combos pretty consistently but the thing I'm lacking is movement and the ability to capitalize off of stray hits. Any way I can improve this in training mode or does it just come naturally over many games?
You can set the opponent to random block to help you with random hit confirms. I do that to help me learn whether I should be going into a combo or a blockstring. Plus, Dormammu had the hardest hit confirms in the game in Vanilla, so I feel spoiled now in Ultimate.

Also, I may need some advice concerning my team. At the moment I'm running Dorammu(pillar)/Thor(spark)/Akuma(tatsu). Not sure if that's the optimal team order. Only chose Akuma because I can't find a third character I like and he has a good assist for Thor.
I don't think this is a particularly strong team, but I'd go with Thor/Dormammu/Akuma. I feel like Thor and Dormammu, but Thor especially, love projectile support more than the tatsu.

I would totally join your lobby if:

1. I was any good
2. I was not at the office

Some other time. On the plus side I watched The Dark Knight Rises earlier and it is one hell of a movie.
I think it might have been the best of the three. Batman Begins is still a very mediocre movie to me, so it's definitely not second. I really enjoyed Bane's screen presence.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
From the game we just played, the difference was night and day.

Edit: dammit forgot to quote. This was regarding sixfortyfive's connection.

oops, sorry didn't see it was my turn. Thought smurf was next in line.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I think it might have been the best of the three. Batman Begins is still a very mediocre movie to me, so it's definitely not second. I really enjoyed Bane's screen presence.

Agreed, although I thought BB was a pretty good movie. My only problem with TDKR was I couldn't understand some of what Bane was saying due to the sound distortion, but yes overall he has a great screen presence. Tom Hardy did a phenomenal job with him.

I also watched it in an IMAX from one of the lower rows of seats, so the entire screen was super distorted for me, and I showed up to the theater an hour in advance. Never again. Next time I'm showing up the night before with a blanket and food supplies.

smurfx

get some go again
i'm really, really sorry for leaving lobby but my thumb is killing me. i had been playing for hours before i joined so its worn out. hey sixfortyfive does your pad also do the same to you or is this just a madcatz pad problem? i know zangiefan wears a baby sock over his thumb when using the madcatz pad to avoid thumb problems. maybe i should do something similar.

How the hell did I almost lose that?

i'm really, really sorry for leaving lobby but my thumb is killing me. i had been playing for hours before i joined so its worn out. hey sixfortyfive does your pad also do the same to you or is this just a madcatz pad problem? i know zangiefan wears a baby sock over his thumb when using the madcatz pad to avoid thumb problems. maybe i should do something similar.

I think it's something related to pads in general, but maybe some are worse at that than others?

Dahbomb

Oh dear lord is it hard not to troll. I've thought that game would be terrible since I first saw it, and seeing him in there is like God came in and personally stamped the game with a failure stamp. I wonder if Sony just knew they couldn't top the job done with Dante in this game, so they chose another version. Can you imagine that team even trying to incorporate DMC3 Dante after this glorious incarnation?
IMO the roster choices of the game scream promotional inclusions. Most of the 3rd party inclusions are for upcoming or recent games like MGR, DmC, Bioshock Infinity and FFXIII (if the Lightning rumor is true). This is seriously a case of "you scratch my back I scratch yours". Capcom probably made a deal with Sony for DmC Dante... my guess is that Sony wanted Dante in but Capcom is like "has to be new Dante because we want to promote the game". I am not the only who thinks this is what's going on as it appears that the majority in that thread believe it too. Not saying that Ultimate Marvel wasn't guilty of this either but at least the Marvel inclusions had some pedigree to them and they were actually high rated character requests on Marvel polls.

DmC Dante's combat isn't even finalized same for MGR Raiden. How can they include those characters when they don't even know exactly what they are supposed to play like?

Agreed, although I thought BB was a pretty good movie. My only problem with TDKR was I couldn't understand some of what Bane was saying due to the sound distortion, but yes overall he has a great screen presence. Tom Hardy did a phenomenal job with him.
I blame the speakers trying to be too loud where I was.

I also watched it in an IMAX from one of the lower rows of seats, so the entire screen was super distorted for me, and I showed up to the theater an hour in advance. Never again. Next time I'm showing up the night before with a blanket and food supplies.
Go early in the day. I went last Sunday and there were a total of 10 people in the theater.

It's a pad problem in general.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
IMO the roster choices of the game scream promotional inclusions. Most of the 3rd party inclusions are for upcoming or recent games like MGR, DmC, Bioshock Infinity and FFXIII (if the Lightning rumor is true). This is seriously a case of "you scratch my back I scratch yours". Capcom probably made a deal with Sony for DmC Dante... my guess is that Sony wanted Dante in but Capcom is like "has to be new Dante because we want to promote the game". I am not the only who thinks this is what's going on as it appears that the majority in that thread believe it too. Not saying that Ultimate Marvel wasn't guilty of this either but at least the Marvel inclusions had some pedigree to them and they were actually high rated character requests on Marvel polls.

DmC Dante's combat isn't even finalized same for MGR Raiden. How can they include those characters when they don't even know exactly what they are supposed to play like?
I just find it weirdest of all having a Big Daddy in there since I associate Bioshock so much with Xbox (considering the long exclusivity, and it being originally one of the breakout titles that pushed the 360).

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Keep trying to start a spidey swing arrow cancel to escape that insane Task/Hawkeye zoning with some forward momentum but I can't even get one out. I have no clue how to deal with that.

smurfx

get some go again
Keep trying to start a spidey swing arrow cancel to escape that insane Task/Hawkeye zoning with some forward momentum but I can't even get one out. I have no clue how to deal with that.
you gotta rush hawkeye down. do not get into a zoning battle with him. its even worse if he has a projectile assist backing him up. i picked up hawkeye because i was tired of being zoned out by hawkeye. also he is good against zoning dooms and trish's which were a problem before i picked him up.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
you gotta rush hawkeye down. do not get into a zoning battle with him. its even worse if he has a projectile assist backing him up. i picked up hawkeye because i was tired of being zoned out by hawkeye. also he is good against zoning dooms and trish's which were a problem before i picked him up.

Main problem is that I can't close the distance.

smurfx

get some go again
Main problem is that I can't close the distance.
i always try and avoid super jumping and duck his aerial arrows and jump over his grounded arrows. you gotta have patience most of all. so many people get frustrated and do something stupid. similar to how many people commit stupid mistakes trying to fight hulk and eat an H for their troubles.

Dahbomb

I just find it weirdest of all having a Big Daddy in there since I associate Bioshock so much with Xbox (considering the long exclusivity, and it being originally one of the breakout titles that pushed the 360).
Bioshock Infinity promotion.

Which is hilarious since I don't think there are even Big Daddies in that game. It's also like they decided to put TTT2 version of Heihachi instead of using his OG Tekken 1-4 versions which were actually PS exclusive.

Right now any character from a video game is fair game for that game's roster. They can put in Strife/Fury from Darksiders or even Ryu Hayabusa from NG.

Me too, and I'm much more of a PS3 owner. Sony just doesn't have a lot going for it in terms of first party strength.

The difference between that game and UMvC3 is the Capcom side didn't get anything like Asura. The Marvel side is marketing-based, but their marketing is also based on fan popularity, so it's not unbelievable. It's not like anyone didn't want the Avengers cast in the game.

How early did you go? Also I live in Manhattan, so no matter what time I go it's going to be packed.
10AM, and I live in Chicago. I drove 45 minutes to get to the suburbs, though. Worth it.

Grecco

Which is hilarious since I don't think there are even Big Daddies in that game. It's also like they decided to put TTT2 version of Heihachi instead of using his OG Tekken 1-4 versions which were actually PS exclusive.

Right now any character from a video game is fair game for that game's roster. They can put in Strife/Fury from Darksiders or even Ryu Hayabusa from NG.

yeah Big Daddy isnt in Bioshock Infinite

also its pretty much 2013 preview the game

Dahbomb

It's actually scary how that thread resembles early Marvel threads.

It's like how people complained about Zero being in the game but MM isn't same for how people are complaining about Raiden over Snake. Or using the wrong/more recent version of a character (old Spencer vs new Spencer, old Dante vs new Dante). Evil/Good Cole is the new Wolverine/X-23 argument.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

There aren't any Big Daddy's in Infinite. The Bioshock Infinite stage looks super dope though, especially considering the stages in that game are so unimaginative otherwise in terms of layout. It stands out a lot in comparison.

They should've taken the Smash approach to PR and not put all that selection criteria on the board for people to pick apart on an internet forum. Snake? Snake's cool, he gets the pass. Sonic? Sonic's cool, he gets the pass. Done.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Some pads are worse than others. I usually have a callus on my left thumb.

xCobalt

I don't think this is a particularly strong team, but I'd go with Thor/Dormammu/Akuma. I feel like Thor and Dormammu, but Thor especially, love projectile support more than the tatsu

What does projectiles offer over tatsu? I really like the way Thor was designed so I wanted to make a team that will really help him. I figured tatsu would help Thor get in and keep the opponent locked down. I think I have an inescapable corner reset using Akuma's assist as well.

I've played a bit of hawkeye and taskmaster in the past so I'm willing to replace Akuma with one of them if it means I get a stronger team out of it.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
GGs to everyone in the lobby. God damn, Nils and I have no chance at all vs 645. Or Smurf. Fuck arrows.

Any feedback/comments anyone?

Haha, we were kinda on each other's level, with you edging me out a bit but 645 or smurf are nigh untouchable. I left too, it's late out here and it would have gotten even more onesided with only 645 left. GGs. I dropped soo much obvious stuff :(

Frank Shopping Cart + Nova H/Grab Option Select is dirty stuff. Need to work on my approaches with Nova I think and stop calling assists willy nilly. Likewise if anyone has any feedback it'd be much appreciated.

What does projectiles offer over tatsu? I really like the way Thor was designed so I wanted to make a team that will really help him. I figured tatsu would help Thor get in and keep the opponent locked down. I think I have an inescapable corner reset using Akuma's assist as well.

I've played a bit of hawkeye and taskmaster in the past so I'm willing to replace Akuma with one of them if it means I get a stronger team out of it.
IMO, Thor, played properly, spends a lot of time superjumping. From the distance you often come from, Tatsu doesn't help you. If you have a projectile assist instead, it does.

People give a shit about Cole? More people give a shit about DmC Dante than anyone else in that cast.
I do not agree.

Really weird, definitely works. You can use it to reset off of Hawkeye's arrow combos, too. Just do one too many Hs, cancel into roll or jump and do it.
Woot!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Every time I demon flip after Akuma throw the M OTG never gives me the ground bounce and they recover instantly instead. What am I doing wrong?

Pretty sure this is the same as that glitch where if you time a throw on the exact frame that another attack touches the opponent, the throw still connects.

I mean, you would think so, but not quite. If that were true, then any +1 projectile hyper DHCing into a +0 command grab should work. But I've tried a ton of characters with +1 hypers, and so far it's only Hawkeye that can trigger it.

Thanks for the help karsticles. Regarding this tech, it was discovered like week 2 of ultimate (when I actually played lol). I found it rather tough to utilize consistently since it required the opponent to be grounded.

Well, yeah, it's a command grab lol. And there's no 0-frame anti-air command grabs, unfortunately. Otherwise Hawkeye/She-Hulk would be amazing.

Now, if there's a +3/4 hyper that still activates on an immediate DHC, we might have something.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I mean, you would think so, but not quite. If that were true, then any +1 projectile hyper DHCing into a +0 command grab should work. But I've tried a ton of characters with +1 hypers, and so far it's only Hawkeye that can trigger it.
A lot of projectile hypers may be active after 1 frame, but none travel as fast as Gimlet. That's likely the difference, especially since the guy who explained it mentioned that it only works with Gimlet at close range (since Gimlet takes more than 1 frame to connect when fired from longer distances).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom