• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was just divekick, H Demon Missile, and conveniently Bon Voyage everytime I tried to press a button -.-
Are you sure this guy wasn't playing simple mode? That's basically what simple mode Firebrand does, but he does it all so fast that it's crazy disorienting. If he would Bon Voyage, and seem to go right into Demon Missile H before he even settled on the ground, I'd say he was on simple mode.

Haha, how the hell would you even have known? XD
I sent my usual "Who are you?" back at him.

Are you sure this guy wasn't playing simple mode? That's basically what simple mode Firebrand does, but he does it all so fast that it's crazy disorienting. If he would Bon Voyage, and seem to go right into Demon Missile H before he even settled on the ground, I'd say he was on simple mode.

5 years old

So yes, very very likely.

Marvel GAF seems to always have "moments" involving simple mode Firebrands.

*Says this as someone that got christened into online Mahvel by a flawless Iron Man*

Remember that one French, simple mode, laggy as hell Firebrand on Kadey's lobby? :p

ReiGun

My arcade stick is finally fixed! I can play again! And I can't block Vergil's Rapid Slash cause I'm so rusty! I'm so happy! :'D

Also decided to change my team. Cap/Strange/Hawk to Cap/Nova/Hawk. I'll come up with a different team for Strange.

I'm tired of even looking at this white-haired bastard. My team can do okay against him -- feels pretty even, not enough his favour to call it a losing one -- but I hate his face so much I want to make sure that anyone playing Vergil against me is not having fun at all.

Which character has the easiest time blowing up Vergil? Condition -- cannot be a sword guy (except Taskmaster <3). I will learn them (maybe a team around them) purely for counterpick purposes.

If Johnny Blaze legit beats him other than "lol snapback," I'll do it.

I'm tired of even looking at this white-haired bastard. My team can do okay against him -- feels pretty even, not enough his favour to call it a losing one -- but I hate his face so much I want to make sure that anyone playing Vergil against me is not having fun at all.

Which character has the easiest time blowing up Vergil? Condition -- cannot be a sword guy (except Taskmaster <3). I will learn them (maybe a team around them) purely for counterpick purposes.

IMO, the best option against Vergil is fast rushdown. Wolverine, Magneto, etc.

I figured Spidey would do reasonably well against him - no?

Good point. Is it maybe the massive range on Vergil's sword screwing up his approaches?
I don't know. My theoryfighter logic says that Vergil's attack has to cut the actual webline, but then he's stuck in recovery when Spider-man actually comes in. If he waits, Spider-man has too much frame advantage for his normals to come out.

Dahbomb

Viper beats Vergil or at least gives him trouble. She blows through his block string and can put him in a guessing situation. She can blow his teleport mix up game and his ground footsie game. The only reason why this match up isn't lop sided is because Vergil is one of the few characters in the game who doesn't have to respect EX Seismo because of Spiral Swords. That's the one move Viper has to respect.

Wolverine, Jill and X-23 are definitely very good if they get within his comfort zone... Jill in particular has CC tech against Vergil. Chun Li defensively can deal with Vergil's shenanigans but that requires a very good Chun Li player to use her tools to beat him. Joe is good too from a defensive stand point. Spencer vs Vergil is 50/50, both of them have to respect each other. Magneto and Taskmaster are solid against everyone.

The best character in the game against Vergil and this is going to be a shock... Rocket Raccoon.

SmokeMaxX

Yea i'm on PS3 and I still think they kinda suck but 360 pads are atrocious.

Anyone have any experience with this stick I think it's the one i'm gonna go for:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041SGD44/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Good stick but I'd wait for that price.
Hori SC5 Sticks should be $80-90 still either on Newegg or Amazon.
MadCatz T.E.s regularly go down to $100 especially around Major tournaments (maybe a sale during SBO, probably a sale during Season's Beatings, etc.)

Bizazedo

Nova Takedown beats Spiral Swords :). And usually cocky Vergils don't block and well, y'know he can combo afterwards.

Helmbreaker owns the skies lol.

Helmbreaker, Stand H (why they thought this shit needed to hit confirm ON BOTH SIDES is beyond me) combined with tele's and assist do a pretty good job controlling the skies as a package.

He can block that even while using Web Zip, though. Should make the move ripe for punishing.

Not that simple though. Inside 2/3rds distance, I can't reliably use that move because of stand H just brutalizing it.

If I block on my way there from full screen, I'm next to vergil, who will make me block and then kill me. His L's are as fast as mine, and not stubby, plus advantage will be gone by the time I'm there. Should he pishblock it, he's got his other buttons which have me beat considerably in range.

Have to also respect the stupidity of a surprise helm breaker as soon as I land. Not only that, it's really easy to react to from that distance.

If he's playing coy/ trying to block instead of punish all the time, it's not bad. The ones who recognize the insane space control/bullshit confirms he gets are the ones driving me crazy, lol.I despise characters that play themselves against the entire/most of the cast in any fighter. Zero at least have to have pretty solid movement before they start taking people out.

Viper beats Vergil or at least gives him trouble. She blows through his block string and can put him in a guessing situation. She can blow his teleport mix up game and his ground footsie game. The only reason why this match up isn't lop sided is because Vergil is one of the few characters in the game who doesn't have to respect EX Seismo because of Spiral Swords. That's the one move Viper has to respect.

Wolverine, Jill and X-23 are definitely very good if they get within his comfort zone... Jill in particular has CC tech against Vergil. Chun Li defensively can deal with Vergil's shenanigans but that requires a very good Chun Li player to use her tools to beat him. Joe is good too from a defensive stand point. Spencer vs Vergil is 50/50, both of them have to respect each other. Magneto and Taskmaster are solid against everyone.

The best character in the game against Vergil and this is going to be a shock... Rocket Raccoon.

Thanks for this. I hear ya on the comfort zone thing, I don't like risking Laura so early though, hahaha. Pretty dangerous game, but I'll see how far it gets me.

Will look into rocky and Logan

Definitely gonna look into this too. Fight insanity with insanity.

Willing to bring back the centurion too.

JeTmAn81

You guys are really wanting to make me start playing Vergil more. Dat cheap stuff. BTW I was playing a Zero/Dorm/Vergil team last night and my preferred order of killing was Dorm/Vergil/Zero.

Bizazedo

Probably the best order to kill them in, but probably is very risky to spend so much meter on snapbacks / not killing people :(.

That's always my dilemma. Do I take a chance and not just eliminate a character or risk XF3 shenanigans.

I can never settle on a decision.

Probably the best order to kill them in, but probably is very risky to spend so much meter on snapbacks / not killing people :(.

That's always my dilemma. Do I take a chance and not just eliminate a character or risk XF3 shenanigans.

You play Zero, so where is the "chance" involved?

Nert

I guess it's my fault for playing Tron on point, but I know that I'm almost guaranteed to lose her when I go against someone playing Vergil on point. Outside of getting really lucky with the occasional drill, I just can't get in on those giant hitboxes (I don't think that Tron's jumping H will ever hit a Vergil that's already swinging, whether I'm in front of him or behind). Luckily, Skrull is a random enough character to get me through that matchup, so I try to bring him in as soon as it's safe.

I guess it's my fault for playing Tron on point, but I know that I'm almost guaranteed to lose her when I go against someone playing Vergil on point. Outside of getting really lucky with a random drill, I just can't get in on those giant hitboxes (I don't think that Tron's jumping H will ever hit a Vergil that's already swinging, whether I'm in front of him or behind). Luckily, Skrull is a random enough character to get me through that matchup, so I try to bring him in as soon as it's safe.
Who is your third? Tron/Skrull/???

Was referring more to him, not me :).

For me, the only characters I usually try and pull in early are X-23, Strange, and Phoenix. And even then I have trouble with the decision sometimes.
Fun fact: I haven't been hit by X-23's level 3 in ages. Everyone who uses it before a character comes in just has the damndest time landing the attack for some reason.

Bizazedo

Fun fact: I haven't been hit by X-23's level 3 in ages. Everyone who uses it before a character comes in just has the damndest time landing the attack for some reason.
I fought a guy who hit it everytime. It was pretty annoying. I tried everything, but I'd always get hit. Like he got it EVERY time.

Sasa used to miss it more then he does nowadays. Now he'll only miss it like once or twice every 15 or 20 attempts.

Nert

Who is your third? Tron/Skrull/???

Tron/Skrull/Arthur. I love having the dagger assist because it makes a lot of Skrull's unsafe stuff easier to throw out (more grab attempts, more random meteor smashes, etc.), and Arthur is a really scary anchor with X-factor.

It's Twelve syndrome. "I'm invisible, ha ha! ...where'd I go?"
This is why I don't use invisible characters. I'm a very visually oriented person. I don't know what the hell is going on when I'm invisible, and I tend to just up-back even though I technically have the advantage. :-/

Edit: Invisible Meteor Smashes would be hilarious, though.

Tron/Skrull/Arthur. I love having the dagger assist because it makes a lot of Skrull's unsafe stuff easier to throw out (more grab attempts, more random meteor smashes, etc.), and Arthur is a really scary anchor with X-factor.
Don't the daggers let Tron get in on Vergil? Also, Skrull's Orbital Grudge has super armor - it might help with Vergil pressure.

Nert

Don't the daggers let Tron get in on Vergil? Also, Skrull's Orbital Grudge has super armor - it might help with Vergil pressure.

That and you should be able to straight up tag Vergil through spiral swords with it. And you can grab from outside his sword range, right?

Thanks for the advice! I probably just need to work on improving my assist call timing. A lot of the time, I'll try to use daggers to cover Tron's approach, and Vergil will teleport and catch Arthur, or the Vergil player will have a beam assist that hits Arthur before the daggers are out, etc. Super Skrull is a great backup X-Factor 3 anchor in the cases where I lose Tron and Arthur right off the bat to a happy birthday, but I still hate being in a 1v3 situation.

Skrull's grabs are definitely useful against Vergil, and I'll try to use Orbital Grudge more often.

Projectile assisting while airdashing against Vergil without a teleport of your own is a good way to lose a character imo.

Have to stagger it to the point they're not especially useful if the Vergil knows what's up.

OG sounds pretty useful. I wish more mobile characters had armor, haha.

Karst sounds right about StandH though. Try a "come at me bro" mindset.

Thanks for the advice! I probably just need to work on improving my assist call timing. A lot of the time, I'll try to use daggers to cover Tron's approach, and Vergil will teleport and catch Arthur, or the Vergil player will have a beam assist that hits Arthur before the daggers are out, etc. Super Skrull is a great backup X-Factor 3 anchor in the cases where I lose Tron and Arthur right off the bat to a happy birthday, but I still hate being in a 1v3 situation.

Skrull's grabs are definitely useful against Vergil, and I'll try to use Orbital Grudge more often.
Some tips:
1) Tron's s.H destroys projectiles and hits behind her. When you call Arthur, you can throw an s.H out simultaneously. If your opponent teleports, he gets hit by s.H. If he calls a beam assist, your s.H negates the beam, giving you screen control via daggers.

2) Dash forward right as you call Arthur's daggers. If Vergil tries to teleport, he'll teleport into the daggers. Best used in conjunction with the first tip.

3) Tron's j.H and j.S are overrated, IMO. I think her j.L is fantastic, and since you have a good assist, it's reasonable to use Bonne Strike on the ground while letting the daggers make you safe.

Kioshen

I dunno anything about fightsticks so they work on both platforms?

Most don't. You can dual mod easily some models like the ones from MadCatz and HORI. I dual modded my 360 TE-S myself using a pre-built pcb at godlikecontrols.com. Took me around two hours and have no problem whatsoever since then. If you aren't the DIY type you can buy a sticks that's already dual modded for you like the Quanba Q4 or the Eight Arc Fusion.

Blame Microsoft for requiring an auth chip for peripherals.

JeTmAn81

If I got a clean hit on Zero, usually I was able to kill him in one combo so I didn't have to snap Dorm in, but I was occasionally snapping in Dorm if it seemed worth it depending on the situation. I'm inexplicably lousy with my welcome mixups even with Dante/Strider though so I didn't end up getting him usually.

Solune

So Karst I was experimenting last night with Vergil teams since online play has been really terrible of late, so sorry to Master Milk and Proto. Yes, my Canadian internet sucks balls.
That string that I posted with Vergil and Strange can also be done with Ammy(Cold Star) and Skrull(Tenderizer) getting close to 500K with each before Wallbounce shenanigans.

So Karst I was experimenting last night with Vergil teams since online play has been really terrible of late, so sorry to Master Milk and Proto. Yes, my Canadian internet sucks balls.
That string that I posted with Vergil and Strange can also be done with Ammy(Cold Star) and Skrull(Tenderizer) getting close to 500K with each before Wallbounce shenanigans.
Can you get it to work with Dark Hole? ;-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom