• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Some new artwork to promote the MvC UDON collection. Source at Capcom-Unity has the original pencil and inkwork that was done by one artist, and the coloration done by another (seen below).

It's $30 on Amazon.ca.. I think I'm gonna bite. It's been tempting me, I've had the tab open for a week just seducing me.

Pencils were unmistakably done by Adam Warren. Looks nice.

I just ordered the limited edition hardcover from Udon's online store.

Frantic

I know Dahbomb has mentioned 2 teams before and how the meta game is going in that direciton and hearing DJ Houshen say he now has a Vergil/Felicia/Taskmaster team and a Taskmaster/dormammu/skrull team

how many folks here run 2 teams?
I mainly just run Dante/Trish/Strider these days, switching the team order up depending on the matchup(or just when I want to play Trish or Strider on point). Of course, I've mained Spencer, Taskmaster, Wesker, Deadpool, Frank and Vergil in the past, so I can come up with various teams with them if I need to. I don't really need to, though, since my team does well against pretty much every team composition in this game. Usually if I lose, it's because of my own incompetence or the other person was better than me rather than my team being unable to deal with the other team. *shrug*

V_Arnold

I decided to roll with a team that consists of Viper, Dante and Vergil. Any suggestions, gameplay/training tips for me regarding the trio? I do not know what order to put them and what assists to use. I would appreciate any links regarding good UMVC3 Vipers and Dantes, I am quite out of loop with the game since EVO. Thank you all!

Tirael

Svennson: At the moment, there are no MvC4 plans to speak of

Yeah, it's still too soon after UMvC3. After their perceived screw-up with releasing UMvC3 too hot on the heels of Vanilla, (which honestly I don't care about, I was thrilled to have more MvC3 so soon,) and their actual screw-up with the entirety of SFxTK, they're going to think long and hard about the implementation of crossover games now.

I doubt we'll even get MvC4 this gen, but like others in the thread have said, I'd be down for yearly iterations with expanded rosters and such. And the hype from seeing new character trailers is like no other.

V_Arnold

Yeah, it's still too soon after UMvC3. After their perceived screw-up with releasing UMvC3 too hot on the heels of Vanilla, (which honestly I don't care about, I was thrilled to have more MvC3 so soon,) and their actual screw-up with the entirety of SFxTK, they're going to think long and hard about the implementation of crossover games now.

I doubt we'll even get MvC4 this gen, but like others in the thread have said, I'd be down for yearly iterations with expanded rosters and such. And the hype from seeing new character trailers is like no other.

I still maintain the belief that the only screwup they did was to let the abomination of MVC3 get released in that horrible, abysmal state. UMVC3 is like heaven, with a roster and an INSTANT REMATCH button that nothing in this gen can even get close to, let alone surpass. People crying out loud for Capcom's milking after MVC3->UMVC3 actually got it backwards: the only thing wrong with Capcom in that situation was the decision to just milk an empty quarter where there was no other fighting game (2011 Q1) to compete with.

It's not a screw-up because they milked it, they screwed up by sending the game to die against the year's best games without even one of the major modes on release.

Azure J

Having another team composition dissection here and wondering if going back to Dante/Doom/Strider might be a venture I should look more seriously into.

Dante (Jam Session)/Amaterasu (Cold Shots)/Strider (Vajra)

+ Great DHC chain when Dante's on point (Million Dollars - Okami Shuffle - Legion); can also take advantage of DHC "glitch" (re: the spinning hard knockdown state from a catch state DHC) for more combo potential between Dante and Amaterasu
+ Veil of Mist opens up wild new combo potential I still haven't optimized yet
+ TAC infinites when I invest more into that with Dante and Amaterasu
+ Cold Star is an excellent "stay the fuck right there" assist for grounded Dante mixups
+ When Dante goes, Amaterasu can hassle/grief well until the first DHC opportunity which usually equals 3 meter Strider + Cold Star assist and XF2 available, lots of Oki with a Vajra connecting and liberal use of Paper
+ Excellent anti-zoning with any DHC into Okami Shuffle for screen clearing or Veil of Mist for slowing the pace of projectile wars + Ammy's projectile counter
+ She anchors like a god with meter and XF3. Slashslashslashslash infinite builds her that meter at a ridiculous pace
- Health is kinda below average (around 800K average for the team)
- Amaterasu doesn't do huge damage and although her resets are potent, they do rely on grabs more often than not.
- She gets nothing from Vajra beyond oki setups but the optimal team DHC chain has her before Strider (Legion is ayusss to DHC into from anything that isn't Veil of Mist/Okami Shuffle)
- Cold Shots is sadly ass for extending combos and a confirm off of it scales damage and hitstun for Dante absurdly.

Dante (Jam Session)/Dr. Doom (Plasma Beam)/Strider (Vajra)

+ Well rounded DHCs even though Legion will not see max effectiveness due to Doom's hypers having no knockdown attributes.
+ TAC into full combos (something I seriously enjoy nowadays) and generate a good clip of meter (as Doom) to go between Dante and Doom and back again if Dante is Devil Trigger'd. Also TAC infinites should I ever decide to learn them.
++++++ BEAM. ASSIST. Even if it's not the optimal Estaka/one hit so as not to scale poor Dante's combos. This also benefits Strider.
+ Doom has Fly and eight way dashes for mobility's sake.
+ Strider/Doom is tried and true synergy as is Doom/Strider in this game.
+ Overall health is closer to 900K on average
- Potential anchor Doom situations, especially if DHC'd to Strider to make better use of the beam assist should Dante get bopped
- Doom has no pinning assist for tridash madness, has to rely on movement alone to open people up with dash unders while Vajra is out (and I still can't handle tridashing optimally)
- Plasma Beam confirms while helpful to do damage and clear screen horizontally in bursts also scales Dante's stuff quite a bit.
- This team seems bog standard/not unique enough. :lol

What say you Mahvel-GAF? What would you pick? Or would you let it rock here and there just as a second option?

JeTmAn81

Having another team composition dissection here and wondering if going back to Dante/Doom/Strider might be a venture I should look more seriously into.

Dante (Jam Session)/Amaterasu (Cold Shots)/Strider (Vajra)

+ Great DHC chain when Dante's on point (Million Dollars - Okami Shuffle - Legion); can also take advantage of DHC "glitch" (re: the spinning hard knockdown state from a catch state DHC) for more combo potential between Dante and Amaterasu
+ Veil of Mist opens up wild new combo potential I still haven't optimized yet
+ TAC infinites when I invest more into that with Dante and Amaterasu
+ Cold Star is an excellent "stay the fuck right there" assist for grounded Dante mixups
+ When Dante goes, Amaterasu can hassle/grief well until the first DHC opportunity which usually equals 3 meter Strider + Cold Star assist and XF2 available, lots of Oki with a Vajra connecting and liberal use of Paper
+ Excellent anti-zoning with any DHC into Okami Shuffle for screen clearing or Veil of Mist for slowing the pace of projectile wars + Ammy's projectile counter
+ She anchors like a god with meter and XF3. Slashslashslashslash infinite builds her that meter at a ridiculous pace
- Health is kinda below average (around 800K average for the team)
- Amaterasu doesn't do huge damage and although her resets are potent, they do rely on grabs more often than not.
- She gets nothing from Vajra beyond oki setups but the optimal team DHC chain has her before Strider (Legion is ayusss to DHC into from anything that isn't Veil of Mist/Okami Shuffle)
- Cold Shots is sadly ass for extending combos and a confirm off of it scales damage and hitstun for Dante absurdly.

Dante (Jam Session)/Dr. Doom (Plasma Beam)/Strider (Vajra)

+ Well rounded DHCs even though Legion will not see max effectiveness due to Doom's hypers having no knockdown attributes.
+ TAC into full combos (something I seriously enjoy nowadays) and generate a good clip of meter (as Doom) to go between Dante and Doom and back again if Dante is Devil Trigger'd. Also TAC infinites should I ever decide to learn them.
++++++ BEAM. ASSIST. Even if it's not the optimal Estaka/one hit so as not to scale poor Dante's combos. This also benefits Strider.
+ Doom has Fly and eight way dashes for mobility's sake.
+ Strider/Doom is tried and true synergy as is Doom/Strider in this game.
+ Overall health is closer to 900K on average
- Potential anchor Doom situations, especially if DHC'd to Strider to make better use of the beam assist should Dante get bopped
- Doom has no pinning assist for tridash madness, has to rely on movement alone to open people up with dash unders while Vajra is out (and I still can't handle tridashing optimally)
- Plasma Beam confirms while helpful to do damage and clear screen horizontally in bursts also scales Dante's stuff quite a bit.
- This team seems bog standard/not unique enough. :lol

What say you Mahvel-GAF? What would you pick? Or would you let it rock here and there just as a second option?

The second team is the one I've been running. It's a good team, but it's optimized for Dante, not Doom. Doom does great with just Strider to rely on, but he's even better with lockdown, which is not provided by this team or only minimally provided if you use Dante's Weasel Shot. I think if I had to pick the best third member for the Dante/Strider shell, it would probably be either Vergil or Viper. In either of those configurations, Dante would be running second, I think.

But Doom is still really good in this team. You do need to know how to play his matchups, how to zone properly and how to rush quickly. I don't find him to be a particularly derpy character outside of foot dive, but he has a lot of options and generally matches up well. Since he's not last, you don't have the weakness of having to rely on him to make comebacks, and he's really good at maintaining a lead. Vajra also helps him keep the other guy from playing too lame.

If you're going to play Doom, though, why not try the Clockw0rk configuration and just swap Dante out for him in your main team. Then also have a Dante/Strider team with somebody else in it.

so if i decided to play wesker/spencer/taskmaster, i assume it would probably be a better gameplan to go for resets using the grapple assist, rather than only using the assist as a combo extender

Grecco

so if i decided to play wesker/spencer/taskmaster, i assume it would probably be a better gameplan to go for resets using the grapple assist, rather than only using the assist as a combo extender

I think Spencer/Task/Wesk is a better option tbh. But only cause it was one of my teams for a while.

Yeah, always Spencer before Wesker. You get that safe DHC, Spencer is great at killing point characters and he gets awesome combos in the corner off of incoming mixups. Wesker is a great neutral game character that will save your ass in the middle of a fight, but not amazing at the beginning of the round. Wesker assist is way more useful to extend Spencer's combos early on than Slant Shot is for resets on the point character. Use slant shot when you're letting Spencer heal. Just the fact that Spencer has high health is a reason to put him on point, when people have less meter.

I'd personally go Spencer/Wesker/Taskmaster. I was playing Spencer/Wesker/Hawkeye for a while.

Dahbomb

Viscant strikes me as an insanely intelligent guy overall with stuff like this.
Late to the party on that. Most people have known this since the MVC2 days.

My favorite Jay Schneider line:

Any of the 50 characters can win games. Almost all of the 50 can win a tournament. But the best characters are the ones who can win consistently and a part of that is generating easy wins.

Ok, so I just learned that Frutsy, Taekua, and a friend of mine (VS Wolf) will be going to Seasons Beatings. Is this new or am I just late on that? ._o

Dahbomb

Ok, so I just learned that Frutsy, Taekua, and a friend of mine (VS Wolf) will be going to Seasons Beatings. Is this new or am I just late on that? ._o
Yeah they are coming to Seasons Beating. Some of them might represent World in the USA vs World event.

Viscant even mentions it in the link I provided.

Yeah, always Spencer before Wesker. You get that safe DHC, Spencer is great at killing point characters and he gets awesome combos in the corner off of incoming mixups. Wesker is a great neutral game character that will save your ass in the middle of a fight, but not amazing at the beginning of the round. Wesker assist is way more useful to extend Spencer's combos early on than Slant Shot is for resets on the point character. Use slant shot when you're letting Spencer heal. Just the fact that Spencer has high health is a reason to put him on point, when people have less meter.

I'd personally go Spencer/Wesker/Taskmaster. I was playing Spencer/Wesker/Hawkeye for a while.

thanks. i think i just wanted to switch it up, because i was normally running spencer/taskmaster/akuma, but after watching this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxhSwG6mdO8) i was tempted to put wesker at point. i think i'll use spencer/wesker/taskmaster and learn a few of the resets for wesker.

thanks. i think i just wanted to switch it up, because i was normally running spencer/taskmaster/akuma, but after watching this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxhSwG6mdO8) i was tempted to put wesker at point. i think i'll use spencer/wesker/taskmaster and learn a few of the resets for wesker.

It's weird how all this old Wesker tech is making a resurgence. I remember posting a lot of those resets back in january/february, and people were doing them before that, too.

They're cool resets, but ultimately it's always better to get the one-hit kill, which is something Wesker can't do at the beginning of the round.

Late well in regards to the Frutsy/taekua thing. FT10 Chris G vs Frutsy too

Yeah they are coming to Seasons Beating. Some of them might represent World in the USA vs World event.

Viscant even mentions it in the link I provided.

Hahaha, figures, I've been too distracted from Marvel news what with Persona, Blazblue, and Kingdom Hearts -.-

I'm more surprised by Wolf going though, I don't expect him to cause any upsets like Frutsy and Taekua did at EVO (at EVO he got the pool of death with Shady K and Abagen >.>), but I hope he does well anyways.

Is this like a John Cena situation where she was a fan or something?

Was he kissing babies and hugging fat girls?

Lol last post not to get this thread sidetracked.. but this was well before Viscant won EVO (so no fans or anything like that).

That's why when Viscant won EVO the "General Discussion" of SRK felt like we won. =) He was ONE OF US!

A lot of the guy in the FGC tried to give pro poker a shot back in the day. Watson did too, and of course the most famous out of the bunch is Hevad Khan.

Odinson

GG bark252. I was afraid about going up against your Avengers team at first since you can those advance combos, but I handle it pretty well.

GGS I was playing really bad last night. Don't know what that was about. Been trying to work on Hulk/Thor/She-Hulk lately. I'll be on again tonight if you wanna play some more. Who was using that Zero/Ammy team?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
GGS I was playing really bad last night. Don't know what that was about. Been trying to work on Hulk/Thor/She-Hulk lately. I'll be on again tonight if you wanna play some more. Who was using that Zero/Ammy team?

I saw you added me lately. Feel free to send me an invite when you see me on.

This generation will be over in about eight months when the next E3 rolls around.
Cross-posting from FGW thread:

Excerpt from the latest Ask Capcom, Svennson talks character inclusion process in future and current Capcom crossovers:

DMKTENN: I love the MVC games but could you please contriubute a little bit more for the streetfighters in the games. I mean you added C. Viper which was a good choice but in the future would it be possible to add more it makes sense because streetfighter is possibly the biggest franchise you guys have...

Svennson: At the moment, there are no MvC4 plans to speak of, however let's talk about hypothetical crossovers with Capcom in general.

We are blessed with a huge array of franchises that have hundreds of characters that people would like to see. While I don't have final say on such things, I do enjoy being able to provide input and I disagree with the approach of loading in a huge amount Street Fighter characters (and I say that despite the fact that my business financially benefits on an intra-company basis from such an activity given that CUSA owns the SF IP).

I think for UMVC3, we got it "right" with SF's presence among the cast. We've had demands for many more characters from franchises that had zero representation in a game that had a huge number of characters, and unfortunately, we'll never be able to address everyone's requests. Adding more SF characters would push out other franchises that would deserve a slot or slots.
Awesome

Force him to play his MvC2 team at gunpoint and film it.

At least ask him if he's backpedaled on that.

Well, we have an entire tourney plus casuals to see about that XD

Also, supposedly two more top players are coming, but it's supposed to be secret so I'll be silent on who it is :x

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Good games Bark. My favorite moment was countering your counter Bionic Arm by X-Factor canceling into Aegis Shield and hearing you yell. Didn't even mind losing that match. Would have used my mic but when I put it on the audio sounded very harsh and it seemed like you were talking to someone else in the room and couldn't make out much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom