• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odinson

Good games Bark. My favorite moment was countering your counter Bionic Arm by X-Factor canceling into Aegis Shield and hearing you yell. Didn't even mind losing that match. Would have used my mic but when I put it on the audio sounded very harsh and it seemed like you were talking to someone else in the room and couldn't make out much.

GGS. Yea that was crazy! Your taskmaster was putting in some work and so was X-23. Loved the Dorm battles too. I forgot I had my kinect on. I usually mute it if I'm not using the headset.

pXHSp.jpg

Nert

The more accurate version of that flowchart is:
Jump, air dash forward, j.H.

There are plenty of characters that I have more trouble with, but nothing infuriates me more than getting bodied by Nova. I get so, so salty when I get grabbed by him : /

Marz

Nova go good with Doom/Dormammu? Edit: Actually out of Storm, Skrull, or Nova who goes the best with Doom/Dormammu?

Also wtf Dormammu can otg>relaunch with flame carpet without x-factor? I can do it sometimes but the timings kind of weird.

smurfx

get some go again
went online again after not playing for almost a week and there was nothing but vergils. got to love online marvel.

Azure J

Flame Carpet relaunch is something I can only really do with an assist like Disruptor or Jam Session. It's the first I've heard of it being usable raw.

In other news, I've come to a decision regarding my team dilemma. Currently, I'm putting aside Amaterasu (right beside Felicia and Morrigan as characters to revisit later on) and bringing in Viper to give team "Cheap Shit 1.0" (Viper [Burn Kick]/Dante [Weasel Shot]/Strider [Vajra]) a test drive. There's no third for the Dante/Strider duo that works and I like enough besides her at this point, but at the same time, this means a lot of things I took for granted have to be unlearned or just thought out differently for the sake of doing good with the team. (Re: Viper's neutral without rapid Seismos; neutral games in general without a really fast horizontal assist or Dante on point)

Of course as I'm a combo monster, I'm having fun with this in weird ways. For example, anyone remember that old shot loop video I made a few months ago? Turns out that with Burn Kick assist, this is the stupidest way to see high damage with Dante, especially if you can do it from the MH-Stinger-Volcano-j.S starter. Basically:

M - H - Stinger - Volcano - j.S (or just j.S/Hammer) - Call Viper (Burn Kick) - Volcano - TK'd Million Carats (do this fast, although you do have enough time for the confirm post Burn Kick) - s.S - Clay Pigeon (2 shots) - Stinger Lvl. 2 - BC Teleport - Hammer - Call Strider (Vajra) - Million Carats - Volcano xx Beehive - Volcano xx Beehive xx Million Dollars.

Another thing is that the Burn Kick assist is really great for a basic setup I was playing with involving the ground bounce from a Beehive late in a Dante combo. Basically, call the assist while dashing under the character still bouncing then jump and dash back overhead or fake overhead into a low. You can also catch a tech by changing when you call the assist. Calling the assist before the dash under blows up back rolls while calling the assist post dash but before jump up air dash backwards deals with forward techs IIRC.

Viper's Thunder Knuckle feint combos are fun as well. They kinda remind me of Makoto c.LK - Hayates and make me smile a bit when I can land a few. currently, my Viper is the most fledgling and fraudulent thing ever, but I always liked MVC3 Viper and maybe this was the kick in the pants I needed to learn her truly.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The combo that Solune posted is the standard BnB for Wesker.

cr.L cr.M st.H QCF+L~L d/f+H cr.M st.H QCF+M dash up cr.M st.H S MMHS d/f+H into whatever

There are fancier and higher damaging solo combos for Wesker but this IMO is the easiest and most consistent for the solid damage.

So I've been working on this Wesker combo for the past few days and I more or less have it down. It's weird because the timing is very particular as opposed to an X-23 combo where you just mash the buttons as quickly as possible.

The trickiest thing for me is timing the L-teleport after the qcf.M since it doesn't come out unless you hit it at a very specific time. Is that what I'm supposed to be doing, or is there a better way to follow up the qcf.M?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
GGS. Yea that was crazy! Your taskmaster was putting in some work and so was X-23. Loved the Dorm battles too. I forgot I had my kinect on. I usually mute it if I'm not using the headset.

My Nova should have been better. Kept dropping easy stuff, or going for stuff that...doesn't work. Was fairly happy with my X-23 performance and think I'm getting a better grasp on her mobility although I still neglect to use a few options.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So I've been working on this Wesker combo for the past few days and I more or less have it down. It's weird because the timing is very particular as opposed to an X-23 combo where you just mash the buttons as quickly as possible.

The trickiest thing for me is timing the L-teleport after the qcf.M since it doesn't come out unless you hit it at a very specific time. Is that what I'm supposed to be doing, or is there a better way to follow up the qcf.M?

You can just dash up after a QCF+M. Some people teleport, some people dash. In the end, it's all about what's easier for you.

Solune

It's better to dash instead of teleport-L after the QCF+M imo. If you do want to teleport, use the H version because you can land an extra j.S before proceeding with your combo. The timing is different for some reason, but the H version comes out the easiest.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It's better to dash instead of teleport-L after the QCF+M imo. If you do want to teleport, use the H version because you can land an extra j.S before proceeding with your combo. The timing is different for some reason, but the H version comes out the easiest.

I can't dash though - whenever I hit the two attack buttons it ends up doing one of the teleports instead...

Dahbomb

Beaten twice but there is not actual teleport after the QCF+M, it's better to dash. The reason being is that if you are too close to the corner you might teleport behind them and it will screw up your combo/placement. You can control you dash somewhat by attacking out of it.

hitsugi

Beaten twice but there is not actual teleport after the QCF+M, it's better to dash. The reason being is that if you are too close to the corner you might teleport behind them and it will screw up your combo/placement. You can control you dash somewhat by attacking out of it.

You could also follow up qcf+M with H teleport into S before c.M, c.H, S

Azure J

So I totally just used Hsien-Ko/Dante/Strider as a random counter pick against ZMC and took a few rounds almost decisively playing here... <3 that damn zombie so much. :lol

I'm starting to look over my play more and I notice that a lot of the losses I get are because I over-extend myself a bit too much. I'm trying too hard to emulate what I see on streams or things that are theory monstered without actually going with the easy button options. Sure, a part of me hates when I take those options because I hate giving the option of a comeback to someone, especially in a game like this where tons of characters are really damn effective at shifting momentum, but I am slowly beginning to see that a few things I do could be scaled back and I'd still remain effective.

I just really wish if I wasn't so hot-blooded with this game. I work best when I'm patient and calm, but every other thing elicits a response and I guess I condition myself into a mindset of "FUCK EVERYTHING" before I start seeing and adjusting better.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, dash using double tap instead of teleport. Got it.

The more I play Wesker the more I'm impressed by players that can continue their combos on for ages. I can hardly get to the end of that combo, let alone follow it up with a df.H into another combo; the timing is so damn finicky on his combos.

What? Wesker has the most basic combos in the freaking game. Like Yipes said his combos are like a beat you can close your eyes and still don't drop that shit.

Dahbomb

The more I play Wesker the more I'm impressed by players that can continue their combos on for ages. I can hardly get to the end of that combo, let alone follow it up with a df.H into another combo; the timing is so damn finicky on his combos.
Df.H at end of the combo has to be extended with an assist... He can't get any extension off of it that late into the combo. Wesker combos are among the easiest in the game, I learned timing of aerial and otg assist pick up combos in general by playing Wesker. Wolverine also has easy combos.

Wesker combos are honestly the baby combos of the game. My hunch is that you're missing something that you'll think is obvious later on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GGs Nils. Came down to the wire at the end there and I had to leave just as the score was tied so I decided I'd give it one more game.

I see your completing your Taskmaster combos more often online, which frustrates me even more. God damn I hate that character, I just don't know what to do against him with my team. You have a good rhythm with your arrows and all, which is good because often they anticipate my moments, leaving me locked down all the way across the screen. Especially when it comes to just Iron Man.

Thanks for the compliments about my Nova. Been working on my hit confirms, especially ones off of Tatsu. I still think you have the better Nova though, if you ran him on point more as the game went on, I think that'd be clear. My ABC combos and lack of any good resets just don't cut it :lol God knows how many smart bombs I dropped all day too :|

I think I am getting better though, at least at decision making. Playing calmer helps a ton, I find. My execution is getting better too but I still drop my BnBs when I get a little antsy. And as long as I have you, a slightly better player than me, to play against, this bodes well for the future :p

Also, apologies to Bark. I got your message today, we would've made a lobby yesterday but I had to quit out suddenly. If your ever up for games, send me a message when you see me on.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the compliments about my Nova. Been working on my hit confirms, especially ones off of Tatsu. I still think you have the better Nova though, if you ran him on point more as the game went on, I think that'd be clear. My ABC combos and lack of any good resets just don't cut it :lol God knows how many smart bombs I dropped all day too :|

Haha, I may have the better Training Mode Nova, but I'm just not hitting anything with him online lately and have a harder time getting in as I don't complement him with assists well enough. May just forego the flight stuff for the moment as that's the main thing that trips me up. Starting to experiment with the tackle hyper but at the moment I can't really get much out of it even if I hit. It's frustrating as I really want my Nova to shine more. I'll have to hit the lab or just play him more on point, but I kept getting airgrabbed in Nova vs Nova.

Nice punishes on stray Energy Javelins with Iron Man's Iron Avenger btw. You had me cursing at several points. Especially when Akuma hypers chipped me out or won the match.

May have to start abusing some TAC stuff at the start. It gives me just enough meter with X-23 to get really nasty as you saw that one game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Df.H at end of the combo has to be extended with an assist... He can't get any extension off of it that late into the combo. Wesker combos are among the easiest in the game, I learned timing of aerial and otg assist pick up combos in general by playing Wesker. Wolverine also has easy combos.

Karsticles said:
Wesker combos are honestly the baby combos of the game. My hunch is that you're missing something that you'll think is obvious later on.

Oh, hah. Well guess I've got a long way to go then. :)

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, hah. Well guess I've got a long way to go then. :)

It's all relative to some extent though. If you have a habit of mashing, it can be very hard to nial down those combos consistently. I can speak from experience. Those Wesker combos and his corner reset always tripped me up because I had the annoying habit of pressing HHH or something at the end rather than just the one. On the other hand I can do combos that are trickier on paper just fine.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It's all relative to some extent though. If you have a habit of mashing, it can be very hard to nial down those combos consistently. I can speak from experience. Those Wesker combos and his corner reset always tripped me up because I had the annoying habit of pressing HHH or something at the end rather than just the one. On the other hand I can do combos that are trickier on paper just fine.

Yeah I love X-23 because her combos come out pretty much as fast as I can mash the buttons. Guess I'm just gonna have to get used to Wesker's timing.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I want to give a big thanks to Karsticles for his dorm threads on srk. Picked up the character last week already got down the more advance stuff thanks to the wealth of info from his threads.

Going to rock Dorm Wesker Mags next major here.

One question though what are your thoughts on dorm vs spencer match up?

I want to give a big thanks to Karsticles for his dorm threads on srk. Picked up the character last week already got down the more advance stuff thanks to the wealth of info from his threads.

Going to rock Dorm Wesker Mags next major here.

One question though what are your thoughts on dorm vs spencer match up?
It depends a lot on the teams, meter availability, X-Factor availability, etc.

For example, if both characters have 1 bar of meter, 1v1, that's easier for Spencer than if both characters have 4 bars, 1v1, since Dark Dimension beats Bionic Lancer. 1v1, no X-Factor, 1 bar of meter, starting out mid-screen, I think it's slightly in Dormammu's favor. If you give both characters X-Factor, I think it's more even, maybe even a bit in Spencer's favor, since Dormammu can't lay Flame Carpet safely anymore.

And you are most welcome.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Yeah tha sounds about right he is the only character giving me some troubles at the moment thankfully I can vs my local spencer who is the best in Australia to grind out the match and pick up more tricks.

Most nasty thing is ending block strings in flame carpet tridashing l lol. If the try to jump I grab em or do jump loop if I find out they are mashing on throw.

Btw I found on incoming Vergil using 2 b is freaking god send. If they are helm breaker derp happy it blows em up.

Yeah tha sounds about right he is the only character giving me some troubles at the moment thankfully I can vs my local spencer who is the best in Australia to grind out the match and pick up more tricks.

Most nasty thing is ending block strings in flame carpet tridashing l lol. If the try to jump I grab em or do jump loop if I find out they are mashing on throw.

Btw I found on incoming Vergil using 2 b is freaking god send. If they are helm breaker derp happy it blows em up.
On an incoming Vergil, it's best to just set up your Flame Carpet unblockable. Mid-screen, after killing a character, dash forward, lay Flame Carpet, Mass Change M as he comes on the screen, air dash down-forward (toward him), j.H. In corners, you can do something similar, or, to make it more reliable, Flame Carpet, j.MH, and then S if he didn't block the j.M, or Mass Change M if he blocked and/or pushblocked, j.H on your way down with him from the teleport. Technically, he can counter this with his hyper, but teleports tend to mess up inputs, and he dies if he doesn't catch you anyway. Much more reliable than c.M, which can cost you the match if you mess up, and has no time for hit confirmation.

Vergil is a good character, but he has no aerial mobility, which makes him very vulnerable as a non-point character.

Against Spencer, you generally want to throw Dark Matter a lot and/or rushdown. Using Purification or Dark Hole often leads to Bionic Lancer, XFC, dead Dormammu. That is, unless you have the 3 bars to counter Bionic Lancer, which you can then use X-Factor to get your own kill combo off of.

Azure J

I need to spend more time stalking the Dorm thread on SRK because I totally just learned the proper way to do that flame carpet unblockable reading that post. :lol

Viper/Dante/Strider is so cool but you seriously need to invest if you want to see yourself do anything decent with the group (mostly on Viper's end). I swear I will master rapid Seismos if it's the last thing I do in this game.

Solune

So lately, I found that Vergil and Hulk have really good synergy. If Hulk is on point using Gamma Charge and Rapid Slash at the same time makes Gamma Charge completely safe on block, so as long as you're in range you can abuse super armor, it also leads to a full combo anywhere on the screen if Gamma Charge hits.
If Vergil is on point, Gamma Wave is a great OTG assist for him and it's pretty good for his teleport mixup. Both of them also DHC very well from each other anywhere on screen.

Odinson

Also, apologies to Bark. I got your message today, we would've made a lobby yesterday but I had to quit out suddenly. If your ever up for games, send me a message when you see me on.

No prob. Will do, it's been a while since we've played. It'll be nice to see how you've improved.

What? No, I have a 50" Plasma HDTV. All I'm saying is X-23's combos come out as fast as you can hit them, whereas with Wesker you have to time each hit differently.

whats the response time or input lag of your tv? tournament setups usually require monitors with a 2ms response time.

on a side note, i've enjoyed switching up my team order to spencer/wesker/taskmaster. i've made a shitton of xf3 comebacks and reverse ocvs with taskmaster. i just think he handles more matchups better than dark wesker.

I need to spend more time stalking the Dorm thread on SRK because I totally just learned the proper way to do that flame carpet unblockable reading that post. :lol
Haha.

Also, re: TV lag, it doesn't matter what your TV's lag is for combo timing. If your TV is laggy, you'll just learn to do the inputs differently than someone without a laggy TV. That's not to say that lag doesn't matter in the game at all, it's just not important for combos if it's the only TV you play on, since the timing will still be consistent within a laggy environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom