• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, my scene's streaming their big tourney of the year. Central Canada stuff, so you'll at least get interesting teams. I'll try to defend my belt for you guys at home <3 Some decent players here, hope the nerves don't get to em. Players get good towards the top. I took the team tourney yesterday so a singles title would be good to have too.

It's about to go live in 5 or 10 minutes at . Marvel minion away :3

And Taekua is such a beast.

Show us some nice X-23 stuff, man.

Dahbomb

OK, so I feel convinced at this point that Vergil/Doom/Morrigan is the best setup for that team. I saw this video in the related list from Solune's video and it pretty much breaks down a lot of what I was thinking when I was suggesting that team regarding Vergil's assist for frequent cross counters. The issue however comes from the Morrigan side of things. If you run meter assist, things get more uncertain, but Shadow Blade leads into full combos and is highly invincible.
I haven't busted out this gif in a while but that video deserved it:

Bo2BG.gif

Solune

Hey guys, my scene's streaming their big tourney of the year. Central Canada stuff, so you'll at least get interesting teams. I'll try to defend my belt for you guys at home <3 Some decent players here, hope the nerves don't get to em. Players get good towards the top. I took the team tourney yesterday so a singles title would be good to have too.

It's about to go live in 5 or 10 minutes at www.twitch.tv/chipdamage. Marvel minion away :3

Thor Dr. Strange Skrull team. Stream doesn't disappoint. I'm packin my bags from BC to MB.
I really really love your Vergil stuff man.
Thanks brah. I figure I need to be good with at least one of the brothers.
OK, so I feel convinced at this point that Vergil/Doom/Morrigan is the best setup for that team. I saw this video in the related list from Solune's video and it pretty much breaks down a lot of what I was thinking when I was suggesting that team regarding Vergil's assist for frequent cross counters. The issue however comes from the Morrigan side of things. If you run meter assist, things get more uncertain, but Shadow Blade leads into full combos and is highly invincible.

That was pretty gawdlyke...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Enzo, for future reference it's probably easier to pm if you wanna play. I check gaf way more often than I do Xbox Live.
Alright cool. Sorry I could not get back on, got caught up in a bunch of work -.-' Until next time!

And yeah, your X-23 seems like it has a particularly difficult time against my team. Some of those last matches, oh man I was so mindfucked, I just forgot how to block.

EDIT: Oh god at that Vergil alpha counter tech. Just what the world needs!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Alright cool. Sorry I could not get back on, got caught up in a bunch of work -.-' Until next time!

And yeah, your X-23 seems like it has a particularly difficult time against my team. Some of those last matches, oh man I was so mindfucked, I just forgot how to block.

EDIT: Oh god at that Vergil alpha counter tech. Just what the world needs!

It's not so much the matchup that bothers me, although that Iron Man's Repulsor and Akuma's beams and projectiles are quite effective of keeping her out. Had a nice long dance with Akuma one of those matches, which I sadly lost by a sliver. What mostly bothers me is dropping stuff that by all means should have resulted in a kill if I have the resources. Like relaunching through X-Factor, should always be a guaranteed kill. Any X-Factor combo = kill except in level one. Not having the meter for Dirt Nap also didn't do her any favors and her level 3 X-Factor is actually crazy hard to control sometimes so I prefer burning level 2.

What stuff mindfucked you?

How do things get more uncertain with the meter assist? I love it.

I think Akuma is better than Vergil, simply because Vergil can get roflstomped by Wolverine at the start of matches, and Akuma is much less likely to.

Dahbomb

The Vergil CC tech is fairly high risk/ high reward. If you do it too late or too early against a hyper that is usually safe you can have a dead Vergil on your hand. But it's a great ace up your sleeve to have for a clutch situation.

Azure J

How do things get more uncertain with the meter assist? I love it.

I'm not sure if meter assist has any invincibility or faux invincibility when you CC into it to make Morrigan/Doom/Vergil from Vergil/Doom/Morrigan but if it does, you still have to pray for a neutral situation after getting Morrigan in for the Soul Fist stuff. People with good buttons would see her come in, strike her pose then go right to work I'd imagine.

With regard to this tech as a whole, I did say that Vergil/Doom/Morrigan should be the order so you can feel out the opponents with Vergil or handle any truly troublesome point characters then after Devil Triggering, you intentionally put yourself in a block string to CC Morrigan in and keep on changing between the two molds frequently. This is all to keep anchor Doom situations from going down really. It's just an added bonus that you get to shift between two really oppressive strategies with MorriDoom and infinite DT/Swords+Formations Vergil.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Hail Mary Stinger does in fact work, I got caught by that shit and lost because of it lol. It was a happy birthday too.

Oh and messing around with Ryu in training mode. I'm sure people already know this, but it's possible to get a full combo off of the very tip of Ryu's cr. M. Usually if I hit with cr. M I get lazy and go right into cr. H then S, but if you instead do f. H xx Jodan Kick you can get your combo.

I'm not sure if meter assist has any invincibility or faux invincibility when you CC into it to make Morrigan/Doom/Vergil from Vergil/Doom/Morrigan but if it does, you still have to pray for a neutral situation after getting Morrigan in for the Soul Fist stuff. People with good buttons would see her come in, strike her pose then go right to work I'd imagine.
The meter assist is already normally vincible for only 10 frames; I doubt it gets worse as a CC. It's not great for a CC, regardless, unless you have 3 bars to burn for CC -> Shadow Servant -> Spiral Swords.

Even so, it seems like you're dropping a useful assist for a gimmick. Dark Harmonizer is what guarantees you to be able to DHC Doom -> Morrigan after Vergil dies. With Shadow Blade, you're stuck limping around with an assist-less Doom, basically. Also, converting off of Shadow Blade H is hard as hell, and unreliable - have you tried it?

Hail Mary Stinger does in fact work, I got caught by that shit and lost because of it lol. It was a happy birthday too.

Oh and messing around with Ryu in training mode. I'm sure people already know this, but it's possible to get a full combo off of the very tip of Ryu's cr. M. Usually if I hit with cr. M I get lazy and go right into cr. H then S, but if you instead do f. H xx Jodan Kick you can get your combo.
I do random Stingers all the time. Call Dark Hole with it, and it appears right on top of Vergil. It's like a little bubble of love and safety. :)

Holy fucking shit. :lol
Wasn't there something else that did this glitch back in Vanilla? I actually think it was a Dormammu glitch or something.

Azure J

The meter assist is already normally vincible for only 10 frames; I doubt it gets worse as a CC. It's not great for a CC, regardless, unless you have 3 bars to burn for CC -> Shadow Servant -> Spiral Swords.

Even so, it seems like you're dropping a useful assist for a gimmick. Dark Harmonizer is what guarantees you to be able to DHC Doom -> Morrigan after Vergil dies. With Shadow Blade, you're stuck limping around with an assist-less Doom, basically. Also, converting off of Shadow Blade H is hard as hell, and unreliable - have you tried it?

Never actually played the team long enough to try it out, but I do concede the point to you regarding DHCs post Vergil. If I wasn't already bogged down with teams to try and solo characters I wanted to get better with, I'd try and scrub things out with this team just to see what I could discover along those lines. Then again, I'm still just as apathetic about Doom as ever. He's really not fun until you reach a certain level of movement with him (I'm so hit or miss with his tridash and general aerial movement) and rock Amaterasu with him (FOLLOW MY LEAD - *arf* THCs for days).

Edit: Vergil's Stinger is faster and leads to H-S shenanigans doesn't it? Or are we talking a cancel on hit/block into Judgement Cut with Dark Hole assist in play for a blockstring @ Karst.

Never actually played the team long enough to try it out, but I do concede the point to you regarding DHCs post Vergil. If I wasn't already bogged down with teams to try and solo characters I wanted to get better with, I'd try and scrub things out with this team just to see what I could discover along those lines. Then again, I'm still just as apathetic about Doom as ever. He's really not fun until you reach a certain level of movement with him (I'm so hit or miss with his tridash and general aerial movement) and rock Amaterasu with him (FOLLOW MY LEAD - *arf* THCs for days).

Edit: Vergil's Stinger is faster and leads to H-S shenanigans doesn't it? Or are we talking a cancel on hit/block into Judgement Cut with Dark Hole assist in play for a blockstring @ Karst.
I honestly never cancel into Judgment Cut in my blockstrings. I have enough meter that I always cancel into Rapid Slash. *cool guy glasses* I'm getting a little better at being unpredictable with it. I used to always do LMH, f.H, Rapid Slash, but now I sometimes do LM, Rapid Slash, or just say "what the hell, why not?" and Rapid Slash out of nowhere. Morrigan gets him 2/3rds of a bar back before the swords wear off. If I want to cancel into a non-Rapid Slash move, I use Round Trip, which I've been working on always having charged as soon as the round starts. If I do Rapid Slash to Spiral Swords, and use Round Trip once, I build roughly a full bar to get another Spiral Swords out there.

I use Judgment Cut more as a way to make opponents wary to approach me if I want to sit back and call Dark Harmonizer for a while. If an opponent is low on health, I might go into Devil Trigger and spam it to chip them out; Dark Harmonizer provides net meter during Devil Trigger.

Also, Vergil and Morrigan have amazing DHC synergy. Dimension Slash is maybe the best hyper in the game to DHC Morrigan in through. Vergil can always choose which side to OTG from, and it ends with your opponent sitting right next to Vergil, so it's the only hyper I know of that gets all of Shadow Servant's hits 100% of the time. If you want to be nasty, instead of DHCing to Shadow Servant you can DHC to Astral Vision, and you have enough time to land a Soul Drain (2 hit since you have the clone). And of course, Vergil is one of a handful of characters that let Morrigan's throws lead to full combos.

This team is the first time since I started that I don't feel lost if Dormammu dies. I feel like Vergil and Morrigan can handle themselves, unlike Firebrand and Morrigan (which is just a sad pairing).

Azure J

Sounds like good stuff. If you could ask for something more to make the team more complete though, what would you pick? I'm personally torn between Shadow Servant being the go-to hyper for a THC (so you'd get Judgement Cut, Chaotic Flame and Shadow Servant for absurd screen clearing) or Dormammu getting some Hidden Missiles like assist like say an assist version of 1C1D. (2C1D would be delicious but busted as fuck)

Sounds like good stuff. If you could ask for something more to make the team more complete though, what would you pick? I'm personally torn between Shadow Servant being the go-to hyper for a THC (so you'd get Judgement Cut, Chaotic Flame and Shadow Servant for absurd screen clearing) or Dormammu getting some Hidden Missiles like assist like say an assist version of 1C1D. (2C1D would be delicious but busted as fuck)
Haha. Well, between the two, I'd choose Dormammu getting a tracking Purification as his assist. Morrigan backed by a tracking Purification would be pretty boss. I would probably sub Vergil out for Hsien-ko and run Hsien-ko/Dormammu/Morrigan. I really do like Hsien-ko, but she can't do anything when backed by Dark Hole and Dark Harmonizer (well, except for have permanent Rimoukon, but that takes a ton of execution I don't have).

That being said, I wish the game let me pick my THC or something. Shadow Servant lets Morrigan combo into Soul Drain as a THC with so many characters. In a way, Shadow Servant is the best THC for Morrigan, and Finishing Shower tends to be the best for others. This is because it's one of the longer hypers in the game, and lots of characters get full combos from it since they recover so much faster, and it roughly juggles your opponent around jump height. It's irregularity makes its utility risky, though.

I don't think Dormammu getting good Liberations as an assist would be a problem as long as it is handled in one of two ways:
1) There is no Liberation assist, but instead Power of the Destructor. Calling it charges Dark Spells, then he unleashes 3D0C after so many calls. As with the point version, if you happen to have 1D2C, etc., charged, he unleashes that instead.

2) Keep it as the Liberation assist, and let him keep the charges after he uses them, but give the assist a massive cooldown, around 10 seconds. This would make it a "team goal", like leveling up Frank West. 2D1C and 1D2C would probably need to fail if he gets hit though, haha.

I need your guys' advice. This past weekend in the GAF Lobby I fell in love with Joe/Frank/Raccoon again, but I also got two new teams out of the session.

1) Joe/Deadpool/Akuma
2) Joe/Deadpool/Arthur
(both Deadpool assists are Katana-rama so Joe can end combos with Slow)

I'm not asking if the teams are top-tier or anything, but I want to know from people smarter than me if there's some good synergy there that I may or may not know about because I'm pretty clueless with looking for that sort of thing.

I need your guys' advice. This past weekend in the GAF Lobby I fell in love with Joe/Frank/Raccoon again, but I also got two new teams out of the session.

1) Joe/Deadpool/Akuma
2) Joe/Deadpool/Arthur
(both Deadpool assists are Katana-rama so Joe can end combos with Slow)

I'm not asking if the teams are top-tier or anything, but I want to know from people smarter than me if there's some good synergy there that I may or may not know about because I'm pretty clueless with looking for that sort of thing.
IMO, the Arthur team is better, because Deadpool is an amazing battery for him, and daggers let you get full combos from your guns into teleports easy. I think Joe's bomb would be an interesting combination with Deadpool and Arthur's moveset. Let me know how it goes!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I think you did the best with the first team. There was one match in particular against that loveable Tesuu guy that really impressed me.

Then again you stole that whole team from Kusoru, lame.

IMO, the Arthur team is better, because Deadpool is an amazing battery for him, and daggers let you get full combos from your guns into teleports easy. I think Joe's bomb would be an interesting combination with Deadpool and Arthur's moveset. Let me know how it goes!
Once I get back home tomorrow I'll try them both out. The Arthur version was just to troll Degen and that Tesuu guy who was hanging out in Kadey's lobby, but I ended up having fun with the team.
I think you did the best with the first team. There was one match in particular against that loveable Tesuu guy that really impressed me.

Then again you stole that whole team from Kusoru, lame.

HE STOLE THE JOE/FRANK COMBINATION FROM ME.

Darksim

Vergil's Stinger is faster and leads to H-S shenanigans doesn't it?

It starts up a frame faster, but aside from being hyper cancelable on whiff, it's inferior to Dante's in every other way. Half the active frames, 2 frames more than twice the recovery, and I have no way to back this claim up other than experience, but I think the range and vertical hitbox are both slightly smaller. It also doesn't nullify projectiles like Dante's does.

But, it really doesn't matter, because in almost the same amount of time (I believe in 14 frames, just like Dante's stinger) you could just dash -> H instead and hit all of normal jump height while nullifying projectiles, which is almost impossible to whiff. Dash S is also really, really stupid and is just as fast.

Dante's stinger is great against Hawkeye, or anyone else who wants to sit on the other side of the screen and shoot projectiles. Just play a SHMUP until you get in range for it and start doing it.

Vergil doesn't bother with such foolishness and simply activates swords. Life is fair.

EDIT: Dante's stinger continues to move forward during it's 6 active frames, which is why it reaches further than Vergil's. Now that I think about it, the difference vertical height is very obvious when doing combos, it's hilariously easy to make Vergil's stinger go under people when outside corners (and it can still happen in corners too), and surprisingly difficult to get Dante's to whiff in the same way.

It starts up a frame faster, but aside from being hyper cancelable on whiff, it's inferior to Dante's in every other way. Half the active frames, 2 frames more than twice the recovery, and I have no way to back this claim up other than experience, but I think the range and vertical hitbox are both slightly smaller. It also doesn't nullify projectiles like Dante's does.

But, it really doesn't matter, because in almost the same amount of time (I believe in 14 frames, just like Dante's stinger) you could just dash -> H instead and hit all of normal jump height while nullifying projectiles, which is almost impossible to whiff. Dash S is also really, really stupid and is just as fast.

Dante's stinger is great against Hawkeye, or anyone else who wants to sit on the other side of the screen and shoot projectiles. Just play a SHMUP until you get in range for it and start doing it.

Vergil doesn't bother with such foolishness and simply activates swords. Life is fair.
I'll second the motion that Vergil's stinger has a smaller vertical hitbox than Dante's. I still have to train myself to do LMH, dp.M when I anti-air people instead of LMH, f.H, since it whiffs all the time.

Darksim

I still have to train myself to do LMH, dp.M when I anti-air people instead of LMH, f.H, since it whiffs all the time.

There are plenty of better options than Lunar Phase for AA LMH.

LMH > Rising Sun is probably the most damaging, you can delay the Rising Sun quite a bit (9 frame startup) to let them fall down to the correct height for the followup. This also gives you plenty of time to hit confirm.

LMH > SH > c.LMH or c.M to either H > Stinger works the same way, delay after the H so that the SH connects properly. I think you get more damage out of the rising sun variation, but this will work even if you AA from directly underneath them and get the crap where the M crosses underneath the opponent, and then the H brings him back the original side.

There are plenty of better options than Lunar Phase for AA LMH.

LMH > Rising Sun is probably the most damaging, you can delay the Rising Sun quite a bit (9 frame startup) to let them fall down to the correct height for the followup. This also gives you plenty of time to hit confirm.

LMH > SH > c.LMH or c.M to either H > Stinger works the same way, delay after the H so that the SH connects properly. I think you get more damage out of the rising sun variation, but this will work even if you AA from directly underneath them and get the crap where the M crosses underneath the opponent, and then the H brings him back the original side.
Ah, thanks for the tips. I'm still not at that point with Vergil where I know how much hitstun his moves make. Good to know that I can wait after the s.H for a while.

Dahbomb

Vertical hitbox of Vergils Stinger is for sure shorter than Dantes. Dante has the superior Stinger and also the superior Helm Breaker.

I'm so tired of assholes who send you hate messages after you beat the shit out of them or tea bag you. How annoying. A

wait. so you teabag them, and NOT expect them to be salty? idgi.

i only send ggs messages, but people who teabag/taunt and then leave after one game are just immature pricks.

JeTmAn81

It's about to go live in 5 or 10 minutes at www.twitch.tv/chipdamage. Marvel minion away :3

Reviewing the archives now. I see a certain Spider-Man player in teams grand finals.

edit: Ultimate Web Throw resets are too dirty.

No, I don't tea bag them, they do.

my bad, misread your post.

but then we do actually agree, that crap is annoying, mostly because they wouldnt have the balls to do that locally offline and would get put on blast.

HOWEVER, if they run it back and i do beat them, i usually do the following:

late taunt, then let the timer run down for the runback after they've already hit rematch. let them hold that L. if youre gonna do it to me first, screw it, i'm gonna make sure i do it last.

but yeah, 99% of my msgs are ggs regardless if i win 10-0 or lose 0-20.

gonna add everyone listed on psn in the spreadsheet from the OP. connection be damned, i just want to play with good sports.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Vertical hitbox of Vergils Stinger is for sure shorter than Dantes. Dante has the superior Stinger and also the superior Helm Breaker.

I understand that Dante's special cancellable Helm Breaker makes a world of difference for general utility, but as a straight up move, I don't see how Vergil's isn't better. It comes out faster (I think?), is cancelable at the end (Dante's is bold cancelable, but I find the timing pretty tricky), and is -2 on block. I recognize that you can chicken guard it for a punish, but you can do the same with Dante's... and punish now before Hammer can come out.

late taunt, then let the timer run down for the runback after they've already hit rematch. let them hold that L. if youre gonna do it to me first, screw it, i'm gonna make sure i do it last.

lol, I could have sworn there was someone doing this to me. I was so mad that whenever I lost he would wait until the counter went to like, 2, before hitting rematch. So, I started doing the same to him in my immature fury. After it was over, he sent me a GGs and told me that I had awesome combos. I sheepishly replied with GG. Sometimes it's hard to tell when someone's trolling you or not.

Dahbomb

Dante's is just generally much safer, he doesn't have to worry about whiffing it because if he's out of range he can Air Guitar, doesn't have to worry about opponent getting behind him because he can special cancel to auto correct and the biggest difference is that Dante gets a full combo off of his Helm Breaker in every situation and Vergil needs to spend meter, use assist or burn X factor to get anything out of his HB.

The only real advantage that Vergil's HB has over Dante is that it can be OS'd with an air throw. But Dante has a beastly OS of his own in the form of ADDF j.H.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dante's is just generally much safer, he doesn't have to worry about whiffing it because if he's out of range he can Air Guitar, doesn't have to worry about opponent getting behind him because he can special cancel to auto correct and the biggest difference is that Dante gets a full combo off of his Helm Breaker in every situation and Vergil needs to spend meter, use assist or burn X factor to get anything out of his HB.
The only real advantage that Vergil's HB has over Dante is that it can be OS'd with an air throw. But Dante has a beastly OS of his own in the form of ADDF j.H.

I did forget about the autocorrect property, but I feel that the bolded is less a property of his Helm Breaker, and more chalked up to Vergil's limited OTG options. That doesn't make the move itself better or worse.

Dahbomb

Well moves are rarely taken in a vacuum and are usually judged with the character as a whole.

I know I love to beat the dead horse on this but Iron Man's cr.L and cr.M plus a few other normals are among the best in the game when taken in a vacuum but no wave dash on the ground plus poor rushdown air dashes meaning those normals aren't as good as they should be.

Of course if Dante got Vergil's Helm Breaker where it was on d+H, he could cancel it into Hammer/Guitar, could combo off of it, was as fast as Vergil's... that would be busted. Similarly if Magneto got some of Iron Man's normals that would be busted too (IM's cr.L has as much range as Mag's cr.M).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Well moves are rarely taken in a vacuum and are usually judged with the character as a whole.

I know I love to beat the dead horse on this but Iron Man's cr.L and cr.M plus a few other normals are among the best in the game when taken in a vacuum but no wave dash on the ground plus poor rushdown air dashes meaning those normals aren't as good as they should be.

Of course if Dante got Vergil's Helm Breaker where it was on d+H, he could cancel it into Hammer/Guitar, could combo off of it, was as fast as Vergil's... that would be busted. Similarly if Magneto got some of Iron Man's normals that would be busted too (IM's cr.L has as much range as Mag's cr.M).

I can appreciate that logic.

On the flipside, though, I feel that Vergil's Stinger has some strengths over Dante's that were kind of glossed over... namely it will also lead to good raw damage and meter gain on hit confirm, whereas Dante will need to do a bold cancel teleport mixup w/ assist to get the same potential damage without a guarantee. The most he can get otherwise is a bold cancel reverb shock xx fireworks, reset/super.

Eh, I don't really even know what I'm arguing anymore.

lol, I could have sworn there was someone doing this to me. I was so mad that whenever I lost he would wait until the counter went to like, 2, before hitting rematch. So, I started doing the same to him in my immature fury. After it was over, he sent me a GGs and told me that I had awesome combos. I sheepishly replied with GG. Sometimes it's hard to tell when someone's trolling you or not.

honestly, it could have been me lol so i apologize. but truthfully, i only troll a troll. to be sure, i'll have to check my sent messages or players met log. if youre on psn add me and we can troll in good fun.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
honestly, it could have been me lol so i apologize. but truthfully, i only troll a troll. to be sure, i'll have to check my sent messages or players met log. if youre on psn add me and we can troll in good fun.

Hahah, that sounds like fun, but I'm on 360 so it couldn't have been me.

Whenever I beat someone, no matter how badly, I just stand there during the victory, or if I'm in midair I might go into flight or teleport down. I don't do anything stupid unless someone starts taunting or aiming shots at my K.O.'d body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom