• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odinson

GGS last night Nils. Those were some fun matches! I don't think I've ever pulled off so many Sunday drivers..lol That team needs some work but I'm getting better with it. Gotta learn to wait for hit confirm before mashing Hulks gamma charge.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
GGS last night Nils. Those were some fun matches! I don't think I've ever pulled off so many Sunday drivers..lol That team needs some work but I'm getting better with it. Gotta learn to wait for hit confirm but for mashing Hulks gamma charge.

Fun matches indeed. Connection was weird though. We desynched twice, which I've only ever had occur once before, but lag during the actual matches was more than manageable. Crescent Scythe not cancelling into a Talon Dive remains heartbreaking. Taskmaster dropping a combo is like eh, because he has the health of a tank, but when X-23 misses a crucial combo it stings.

And while I have no Doctor Strange skill whatsoever it was fun picking him only for the dirty crossup assist for Dormammu and trying to snipe with Spell of Vishanti.

Those Hulk mixups - so scary!
Hulk jumping over Sentinel Force rarely gets me. It's just the endless series of GAMMA CHARGE and its goddamn armor. That single buff, combined with the Flame Carpet nerf, really messed up the matchup for me, because when he does Gamma Charge as Dormammu lays Flame Carpet, you trade hits, which means Flame Carpet disappears. If I can get space away from Hulk, I'm okay, but it's hard as hell to get.

But your other two characters do fine against Hulk/Sent.
Vergil still needs the space first unless I'm not understanding the matchup. Nothing he normally does hits multiple times.

Morrigan does alright, it's just a really long and stressful fight because I have to wear him down slowly, and one execution error is a bopped Morrigan. Against a Hulk/Sentinel user that understands the matchup, it's hard to get hits in because I don't have the room to Soul Fist on the ground (GAMMA CHARGE), ditto for normal jump height, so I have to superjump. Then, from the superjump, I have to fly around and get the right angle. Good Hulk players will continue to GAMMA CHARGE underneath me so I never have the right angle, and I can't come down safely because of drones.

It's too bad the girl doesn't have an up-back air dash. I might mess with using Shadow Blade H to get her into the air, and then calling Rapid Slash to get me started. I criminally underuse Shadow Blade outside of combos.

For Morrigan just j. S.
Right into drones and armored s.H! Sometimes it works, but because Morrigan's damage is so terribly low, I have to pull it off 3 times to kill Hulk. Usually the opponent waits for me to air dash forward and does a Gamma Crush (which I can't block in j.S) into another super high health character to make my life even more miserable.

Darksim

On Vergil's Stinger, can't he cancel that into Rising Sun as well?

In the event that the opponent actually blocks the stinger, yes. The first hit will whiff from max/near max range though. Vergil can also SH > lmh or mh to convert or for a continued block string even at max range. He can also Judgement Cut if he really wants to.

The issue is that unless the opponent decides to stand on the ground and let you stinger, it doesn't really work out that way. It either whiffs or they get hit in the air (unlikely though) and they go flying across the screen and you need to react with a teleport to continue.

It's still a great move for going through pushblock, but I never use it outside of blockstrings and combos.

Yeah Drones are the only thing stopping j. S in that matchup. It's not like it's hard to tell if Drones are coming or not though.
Gamma Charge >> j.S.

It's a problem with angles. How do I GET to Hulk to land the j.S? Jumping right into j.S is suicide, I need to cover it with a Soul Fist. That means having to superjump. Landing the j.S, safely, from that position, is difficult.

Also, the drones are pretty much always on screen. :p

::::((((((((((

At least I have Iron Man in there, who is hard as hell to use
It's cool to use braindead. I just don't understand the logic of people who complain about other characters when they use a combination like that. It would be like Vanilla Phoenix users complaining about...anything.

Personally, I think Hulk/Sentinel has the potential to win big tournaments, but no one competent uses the team outside of online.

Azure J

Anyone got that Vergil gif of him sheathing his sword after the his super?

iVtiNgS6AFxAy.gif

Dahbomb

Dahbomb

IMO it definitely is. A big appeal of DMC has always been the demonic transformation. This is just Dante going Super Saiyan for a bit.... there is no new design. Maybe he gets a real DT by the end of the game who knows.

Dahbomb

I think that DT is more of a "please shut up fans" more than anything.
Honestly with all the recent reveals with the game.. his initial reveal of black hair now looks more dumb than it initially was. Vergil has a full set of white hair and Dante can temporarily gain white hair completely as well. By the end of the game he will most likely have full white hair too. There was no point to the hair color change... aside from being radical just for the sake of being radical. They could've avoided so much headache and backlash if they just went the Vergil route with Dante as well.

Honestly with all the recent reveals with the game.. his initial reveal of black hair now looks more dumb than it initially was. Vergil has a full set of white hair and Dante can temporarily gain white hair completely as well. By the end of the game he will most likely have full white hair too. There was no point to the hair color change... aside from being radical just for the sake of being radical. They could've avoided so much headache and backlash if they just went the Vergil route with Dante as well.
He has to "earn" the white hair permanently I bet, hahaha.

Edit: Oh, and someone explain the "Dino" meme to me.

Personally, I think Hulk/Sentinel has the potential to win big tournaments, but no one competent uses the team outside of online.
Bronson from the FGTV house uses Team Armor and wins pretty damn consistently, but AFAIK he doesn't go to Marvel tournaments at all outside of the ones FGTV throws.
This made me laugh pretty hard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VInipGOi7YM

PSAS has Dante's super set to...dun-dun-dun - turn his hair white again!

Surprised at the comboability they gave him.

Did he just do Ike's Great Aether from Brawl at around the 40 second mark?

Ah, that makes sense.

Bronson from the FGTV house uses Team Armor and wins pretty damn consistently, but AFAIK he doesn't go to Marvel tournaments at all outside of the ones FGTV throws.
Is he the guy that uses the Rocket Punch assist? Massive hate toward him, if so. I think the best representation we have out there of this team is Noah.

Azure J

Trying to learn or come up with two things right now:

- A TAC combo for Viper
- A new Strider reset

For the former, I don't think it's possible to get more than Staircase stuff with Burn Kick feint - j.MHs or getting a knockdown with Burn Kick H and doing a relaunch combo

For the latter though, I got particularly inspired from Frantic's old tiger reset video and a combo drop I had earlier in training mode. Basically I'm looking at what could happen if instead of tech chasing with Tiger after a hard knockdown, I call a Bird with Bomb - Wall Cling and pick an option from there (dive kick for meaty wakeup if they roll forward and away from oncoming bird, something else if they go backwards). Optimally, I want the bomb to get some mileage (I just like seeing it get dropped on annoying characters :lol) but if I can play mind games with it, that'd be cool too.

Ah, that makes sense.

Is he the guy that uses the Rocket Punch assist? Massive hate toward him, if so. I think the best representation we have out there of this team is Noah.

No Bronson is anti rocket punch assist. Even in Marvel 2 when everyone played MSS AAA he used MSS AADrones.

Bronson use team armor with Dr. Strange's assist.

Vergil question time!

1) Sometimes when I do Rapid Slash during Devil Trigger, I can combo off of it without Spiral Swords. This is extremely badass and makes me happy. Sometimes, no go. What's the dealio?

2) Is there any hitbox data to demonstrate what changes between normal Vergil and Devil Trigger Vergil? In particular, I'd love to see how Rapid Slash changes. I want to know how worth it it is for me to power him up before tagging out if he needs a break. I'm really impressed with Dormammu/Rapid Slash keepaway so far.

3) I can check this easily in training mode, but I don't feel like turning the machine on just to check it. What happens if I use Devil Trigger after throwing Round Trip? Does Round Trip instantly upgrade? What if I Round Trip, Devil Trigger, raw tag? Does Round Trip cover my raw tag like I think it would?

4) Is there a list of how Spiral Swords interacts with various hypers? I know it laughs at most projectile hypers (though it loses to Wright's Overruled hyper!), but what about things like Ice Storm? I especially want to know what happens if the following scenario occurs:
Stalking Flare -> opponent does Shinkuu Hadoken -> I DHC to Spiral Swords during Ryu's cinematic screen

If this were Stalking Flare -> Ice Storm vs. Shinkuu Hadoken, I know Storm wins, and that hyper is 40+1. Spiral Swords is 13+1, so I'm hoping his +1 beats out the Shinkuu Hadoken.

Loving the synergy on this team more every day. I think Rapid Slash might give me Liberation combos in corners. Mid-screen, I know I can relaunch with Flame Carpet, Rapid Slash, Dark Matter, teleport...and I haven't figured out what's optimal from there. Also gives me full combos from ground and air throws at any height/angle.

ReiGun

Week two of learning Nova, and after playing as characters like Cap and Deadpool for so long, suddenly having an air dash is so weird. I'm like a kid with a new toy. lol That aside, Nova is such an improvement over Strange on my team.

I've also considered joining the Vergil army as an alt for Nova...

Dahbomb

1) Sometimes when I do Rapid Slash during Devil Trigger, I can combo off of it without Spiral Swords. This is extremely badass and makes me happy. Sometimes, no go. What's the dealio?
You can combo after Rapid Slash during DT. Placement might vary, you have to be closer to the opponent but following it up with cr.L is legit. It's a bit timing dependent.

2) Is there any hitbox data to demonstrate what changes between normal Vergil and Devil Trigger Vergil? In particular, I'd love to see how Rapid Slash changes. I want to know how worth it it is for me to power him up before tagging out if he needs a break. I'm really impressed with Dormammu/Rapid Slash keepaway so far.
Haven't seen the hit box data but the vertical range on it is massive, covers almost the entirety of the normal jump arc. If you have the meter to spend for the DHC then it's a worthwhile investment IMO.

3) I can check this easily in training mode, but I don't feel like turning the machine on just to check it. What happens if I use Devil Trigger after throwing Round Trip? Does Round Trip instantly upgrade? What if I Round Trip, Devil Trigger, raw tag? Does Round Trip cover my raw tag like I think it would?
Never tried it although doing Round Trip allows you to raw tag fairly safely, no need to burn an extra meter. In fact during DT Round Trip actually has less active frames than in normal mode (and even less frame advantage) because it's faster and is on the screen for less time.

4) Is there a list of how Spiral Swords interacts with various hypers? I know it laughs at most projectile hypers (though it loses to Wright's Overruled hyper!), but what about things like Ice Storm? I especially want to know what happens if the following scenario occurs:
Stalking Flare -> opponent does Shinkuu Hadoken -> I DHC to Spiral Swords during Ryu's cinematic screen
It loses to Ice Storm for sure. Loses to Proton Cannon, loses to Trish's hyper as well. Any full on beam or extremely durable hyper beats out Spiral Swords. Wins against SoV, Task Legion hyper, Deadpools gun hyper, Arthur's Bracelet, Akuma's Fireballs (but not his beam) etc. His durability lies somewhere in between those hypers and beam/high durable hypers.

JeTmAn81

It's cool to use braindead. I just don't understand the logic of people who complain about other characters when they use a combination like that. It would be like Vanilla Phoenix users complaining about...anything.

I've been wondering about that. I've been on the receiving end of enough bullying by Hulk teams to make him one of my most feared opponents. And that's with having played Hulk myself since vanilla. I think the online environment probably helps Hulk players a lot by making it that much harder to react in time to slot your counterattacks into gaps in the offensive. Still, there are a lot of good offline Hulk players but I haven't seen any of them really break through the big players, with the exception of Bum.

I've played Hulk players that were a lot better than that online. Way too many mistakes there. It's April though, so I won't take it as a measure of the player.

Yea I just randomly click on a youtube vid. The most recent one was the set vs F.Champ Mag/Dorm/Doom team where I think he went ended up at like 35% win rate.

Tirael

I am ok with this design. About what I expected it to be given the tease in the previous trailer.

I would have to wager a guess and say they didn't go radical with Vergil after the backlash to Dante. In fact even from most fans of the original series... that's a very conservative Vergil design. I dig it a lot. OG Vergil is OG Vergil but DmC Vergil is solid.

My body is ready for some Vergil game play.

He's just too.........normal. Vergil playing the straight man against Dante seems WAY too strange. I actually really dig his outfit, though.

And TWIN brother? Jesus, Dante looks like a meth addict compared to Vergil.

He's just too.........normal. Vergil playing the straight man against Dante seems WAY too strange. I actually really dig his outfit, though.

And TWIN brother? Jesus, Dante looks like a meth addict compared to Vergil.
It's like the 90s movie, Twins. Vergil got all the good genes and was raised on meat and vegetables, Dante got all the bad genes and was raised on meth.

It was normally his Nemesis that would do work. Shame that he dropped him. :(
I noticed his Nemesis is solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom