• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

You are already playing a near top tier team from the individual standpoint. The synergy there just seems bonked. Replace Nova with Doom, Dante, Wesker or Magneto if you want to be mean. Morrigan could work well too, but there are flaws with her in there.
Yeah. I'm not sure what to do. What about Zero, Ammy, Strider? Eh? I really need advice.

1. Ultimate HBR would be a two day event. Saturday and Sunday. One for each console.
  2. One single winner for each event. Prize is arcade stick, Hori watchamacallit.
  3. Would last six hours each. So do what you have to do before you play.
  4. Will retain the HBR rules and with the character selection rule to make things a bit more fair for all players.
  5. I will have a thread in regular gaming for the event to get more of GAF to watch it.
  6. This will take place hopefully in March sometime.
  7. Each side will accommodate up to 7 players.

I'm probably missing a few other things but that's the main stuff.

Good lord thats a long tournment
but uh whats the HBR and character selection rules?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Good lord thats a long tournment
but uh whats the HBR and character selection rules?

Alright this is the order. Add me to FR to make things easier.

http://i.imgur.com/TVpkC.png[IMG]

Remember the rules.

1. Random generator to determine order of players.

2. 3 hours long. Thanks to my timer on stream, everyone can see the countdown. If the time ends while a match is going to happen or during one, the match will be the last and still count.

3. Winning players cannot use the same characters for the next match. But can reuse them again if they win for the next after and so on.

4. Points will be deducted from now on if characters are used again and it will get more severe if it happens more than once. First strike, 1 point deducted for each character. Second strike, 2 points deducted for each character. Third strike and so on follows the trend.

5. Points rewards system.
° Perfect= 10 points
° 3 characters alive= 4 points
° 2 characters alive= 2 points
° 1 character alive= 1 points
° No use of X-factor is 1 point added to total.

° Special lobby trophies and achievements points can be awarded.
° For every five win streak, 1 point is rewarded.
° Player who defeats someone with a five win streak or higher gets 2 points rewarded.
° For every 25 points accumulated, a player receives one point rewarded.[/QUOTE]
From the regular HBR. Basically these rules combined with the other one's Kadey just posted.

The whole thing is on stream too, it's pretty fun. Unfortunately the archive for the BEST HBR (the second PSN one) is lost. Archives to other HBRs are up but they're just not as good as that second one.

JeTmAn81

Id be really interested in getting in on the Super HBR if it was more like 4 hours but I just don't think I can find a 6 hour chunk of time when I could do nothing but Mahvel.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, 6 hours of commitment is kind of ridiculous. I mean I know longer sets are a better judge of skill but not thaaaat long.

Don't know if I could square out that much time in March. We'll see.

ggs Jetman81, You dropped Taskmaster for Strider? Because the Vajra assist is godlike with Dante as well :eek:

Its really my first time trying out the new order with Strider on point online. I don't really get to use Vajra assist that much. But Strider with Magneto assist is a better trade. Of course, the best way to avoid this mixup is to stay in the air.

JeTmAn81

ggs Jetman81, You dropped Taskmaster for Strider? Because the Vajra assist is godlike with Dante as well :eek:

Its really my first time trying out the new order with Strider on point online. I don't really get to use Vajra assist that much. But Strider with Magneto assist is a better trade. Of course, the best way to avoid this mixup is to stay in the air.

Good set. Unfortunately my wife came downstairs partway through and distracted me to no end. I considered it practice for playing during a tournament setting (lots of stuff going on around you) but did not manage to over come it.

Anyway, yeah I'm pretty much tier whoring now. And since both Dante and Wesker can take advantage of the Vajra hard knockdown, it made sense to run Strider. Also, it makes it tough to know who to snap in with all three potentially nasty XF3 anchors. With that team, it seemed to make the most sense to run Wesker first since he benefits greatly from Weasel shot and Dante doesn't get as much from the Wesker assist.

My Strider is still really fraudulent unlike yours. The Disruptor mixup was pretty effective, in MastaCJish fashion. I wasn't doing too great at avoiding it. Since our teams were so similar (both have Wesker/Strider), I was definitely x-copying some of the stuff you were doing.

Is the bird-teleport incoming mixup you were doing with Strider pretty much ambiguous if you time it right? I couldn't figure out if I should just start blocking the other way every time. Also, I'm not quite 100% on the Wesker/Strider reset situation. Apparently doing the heavy teleport after gunshot and calling Strider will cross them up in the corner, which I was unsure about. I was just trying to go for L teleport to reach the other side, with the option of teleporting again to fake the impression of a crossup.

I did get some satisfaction infiniting you with dat Hulk anti-air Gamma Charge. I was surprised that you weren't pushblocking it, so it was good for lulz. Too bad I kept choking against Taskmaster.

bird teleport tech? cloudius was watching those japanese striders I see.

The Japanese Strider gave me ideas how to extend Strider's combo but not as stylish with Vergil since I don't use Vergil.

But Bird to wall cling is definitely stolen. That shit is hard to block if done correctly.

laaame

Hi Marvelgaf,

I have a quick question about team building; I'm currently playing Trish and Frank but need a third. I'm liking Strider a bit but I feel like a fraud with him (vajra all day, 'errday) so any alternatives?

Hi Marvelgaf,

I have a quick question about team building; I'm currently playing Trish and Frank but need a third. I'm liking Strider a bit but I feel like a fraud with him (vajra all day, 'errday) so any alternatives?

If you are using Strider's Vajra assist with those characters, it is really hard to follow up on the assist on hit with the characters you have.

How well does Trish and Frank work together? I haven't used that combination or seen them together often if at all.

laaame

If you are using Strider's Vajra assist with those characters, it is really hard to follow up on the assist on hit with the characters you have.

How well does Trish and Frank work together? I haven't used that combination or seen them together often if at all.

Frank and Trish work pretty well if I can land a combo into Survival Technique (I think that's what his super is called), DHC Trish with the Round Harvest, then raw tag Frank back to superjump for the picture. I mess up a lot because I mistime the superjump pic but its a good way to get to level 4 Frank.

As for Strider, I just use Vajra to catch people who are in the air when trying to play keepaway with Frank. I haven't used Strider much but I think I could follow up the Vajra with Frank's slides but I'm not sure.

Solune

Hi Marvelgaf,

I assume you're playing Trish on point, so I would opt for an OTG assist. But she has pretty good synergy with Mag, Wesker (Team RDK). Any of the Sparta brothers, Doom goes on any team pretty much. Viper is also a good choice for unblockable setups.

smurfx

get some go again
just played a long set with killasasa. omg spiderman is pure terror! i kept thinking i could punish at times and nothing. only thing that kept him at bay was lariat. add x-23 and its a zoners worst freaking nightmare. pressure all day with hardly any unsafe moves. what's worse he has freaking hawkeye who is a pain in the ass thanks to gimlet and piercing bolt. i kept trying to throw x-23 and spiderman and instead got punished hard for it many times.

just played a long set with killasasa. omg spiderman is pure terror! i kept thinking i could punish at times and nothing. only thing that kept him at bay was lariat. add x-23 and its a zoners worst freaking nightmare. pressure all day with hardly any unsafe moves. what's worse he has freaking hawkeye who is a pain in the ass thanks to gimlet and piercing bolt.

GGs man, getting around the sea of projectiles is a pain, I gotta start mixing it up more, hahaha. My main success would come when I would get inside Tasky's seams with a Spider Sting and Hawkeye could clean up after words, or some decent XF work with X-23. Don't know why I couldn't Talon Dive so many times though T_T

Navigating around your team is like running across a live battlefield.

just played a long set with killasasa. omg spiderman is pure terror! i kept thinking i could punish at times and nothing. only thing that kept him at bay was lariat. add x-23 and its a zoners worst freaking nightmare. pressure all day with hardly any unsafe moves. what's worse he has freaking hawkeye who is a pain in the ass thanks to gimlet and piercing bolt. i kept trying to throw x-23 and spiderman and instead got punished hard for it many times.

e7lyI.jpg

smurfx

get some go again
match with killa has made me want to seriously work on my zero and corner throws. gotta get the timing down on x-23 and spidy. i can corner throw some characters all day but these two are hard. when i would lose task i was already less than half as effective. hell i preferred being in there with haggar with zero's projectile assist than being in there with zero and haggar.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
6 hours is nothing. 3 hours fly by pretty fast when things get interesting real quick. Random lobbies lasts several hours longer than that.
With more potentially more people watching, it will be lovely. If I can't get at least four people on any side, it just won't happen. No big deal.

smurfx

get some go again
6 hours is nothing. 3 hours fly by pretty fast when things get interesting real quick. Random lobbies lasts several hours longer than that.
With more potentially more people watching, it will be lovely. If I can't get at least four people on any side, it just won't happen. No big deal.
i'll try and be in it if you will let me. only thing i'm afraid of is getting called for work. at what time will this be?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'll have to decide on the days first before anything else can be said.

Best times to have this is usually at the start of the night.

mr. puppy

Banned
hey who was it that took a poll of all of us scrubs at the beginning of marvel? are we going to do a '4 months later' style update? Wanna see where everybody's predictions and feelings went, especially since we still don't know a damn thing about this game.

Bizazedo

i've been wanting to play you too. frantic too since i haven't had a long set with him for the longest.

Frantic only seems to be online when Kadey announces a lobby, I've been looking to pin him down, too.

And I could always use practice getting in on zoners, so I'll message you. I've hesitated before when seeing you online in ranked since I dunno if they're in a groove, but when I see you I'll message next time.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Yeah, I don't mind to be involved but I need to know what time and what date before I promise anything.

That's big if I ever get better. I have been working on new characters lately.

Bizazedo

Yeah, I don't mind to be involved but I need to know what time and what date before I promise anything.

That's big if I ever get better. I have been working on new characters lately.

That might be a good thing, though. My main weakness is I only really excel with one team so when she does the "must use a diff team next match if you win", it gets complicated.

I mean, the one XBL HBR I did win in that format, I got lucky with how people were spaced at the end so I could use my best team plus "wise time management" lol.

Single team HBR's only, I have much less fear and just try to annihilate people.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
That might be a good thing, though. My main weakness is I only really excel with one team so when she does the "must use a diff team next match if you win", it gets complicated.

I mean, the one XBL HBR I did win in that format, I got lucky with how people were spaced at the end so I could use my best team plus "wise time management" lol.

Single team HBR's only, I have much less fear and just try to annihilate people.
How'd you do in the psn hbr you were in? :)

I need games against you sometime. Need the zero practice.

zlatko

Banned
You'll all know and fear Spiderman someday. He's secret top 5 this game. Someone just needs to step up to the plate and body fools with him at a major.

Horseress

You'll all know and fear Spiderman someday. He's secret top 5 this game. Someone just needs to step up to the plate and body fools with him at a major.

EvilRashan has a great Spidy, but I don't think Frank and Phoenix are good partners for him...

smurfx

get some go again
i remember fighting this really amazing chun li one time who had some incredible combos. wonder if its the same guy.

I want to play a long set with you, sometime, Sasa :).

Sure thing, more Zero practice is always a good thing. Not sure if I have ya on Live, I'll add you within the next few days and we'll run some sets.

EvilRashan has a great Spidy, but I don't think Frank and Phoenix are good partners for him...

They're alright but I don't think they're his best. I don't think you can reliably put Frank and Jean on the same team, but that's just me. I see them both as "endgame" characters that kinda screw with each other's dynamics. Cart + Spidey aint bad though, and Level 3 Frank + Spidey have a screwy reset with Frank's air throw super -- saw it via Renhoff o_O.

To each their own though, and if it works for him, more power to him.

OT: I do want to see someone run Team Endgame Power Up of Frank, Wright and Jean.

Hopefully sooner rather than later... I can't get to a major until November probably D: I was hanging with most top players in Vanilla at EVO last year and managed to make it out of my pool -- now I think I actually know how to play this game. Damn shame I can't make it to EVO this year T_T

There are others though -- been liking what I've been seeing from Brightside the most to be honest, and he has an overall cheaper team than most Spider-Man players :p

zlatko

Banned
That'll be the day :/

My team with Spidey is pretty dope. Spidey point, Nova 2nd, and Hawkeye anchor. You can do some cheap stuff with Nova overhead assist, and the DHC from Spidey to Nova can do a stupid amount of damage.

When you play one good Spiderman, you really get a sense of how much awesome shit he has. If he was as derp easy to play execution wise as say Wesker, then there would be no questions, but at the moment you do need some tight timing for his better shit.

Frantic

Frantic only seems to be online when Kadey announces a lobby, I've been looking to pin him down, too.
I've been looking for you the past couple of days, but I haven't seen you on, lol. I haven't really been online that much, just because I haven't been playing any ranked or anything like that.

I've been kinda wanting to experiment with Strider on point against you. I just wish Unibeam was tied to a character I was good with - then maybe I would stand a better chance, lol.

i've been wanting to play you too. frantic too since i haven't had a long set with him for the longest.
I guess we could have a FT10 next time I see you on.

As for the Ultimate HBR... I don't really want/need a stick, but I'll probably join anyways. Just to keep everyone under control. :p

LakeEarth

From my stream monstering, it seems Spiderman's biggest problem is hit confirming midscreen. He's really hard to hit, and he can be on you in a second, but I keep seeing top Spiderman's get the hit and not follow it up.

Neki

From my stream monstering, it seems Spiderman's biggest problem is hit confirming midscreen. He's really hard to hit, and he can be on you in a second, but I keep seeing top Spiderman's get the hit and not follow it up.

I also think it's really hard for spiderman to hitconfirm off an air opponent. Most top tier characters can easily hit confirm off of air opponents. Maybe Spiderman can spam Jab into Spider-Sting, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom