• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Dahbomb are you getting DmC or nah?
Right now it's rental status. I want to play the game but I don't think its going to have the lasting appeal of the former DMC games to justify the full price and I am unsure of supporting the game in its current state especially if the success of this game means no more mainline DMC games. If the PC version is at a budget price then I will get that for sure in the hopes of high frame rates. Will be playing the demo for sure and making a solid decision off of that.

Fanatiq just said Vergil will drop in the tiers and that Spencer is better
Vergil will drop in placement but so will Spencer.

Dahbomb

eh i don't see it happening. who is going to take their place?
Zero, Viper, Magneto are going to be top 3, Vergil will be top 5. Spencer will be top 10 but like at the lower end of it. Strider is going to move up in ranking as will Firebrand. Most people still don't consider Dante that high but he will move up in the eyes of many again.

I know that doesn't seem like a major difference but it is a difference. I think Vergil will always be at the edge of top 5 where he has enough strengths to be highly competitive but enough weaknesses to keep him out of top 3 cream of the crop.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
j7o20hWOKxEzt.png

Hmm if he's saying this maybe the thing Champ found was't it?

(kinda think hes nuts)
Vergil will eventually become less of a problem as people pick what he has problems dealing with in response. Just like Morrigan/Hidden Missiles was the final push that made everyone stop running Wesker and/or Wolverine backed by Tatsu, since it couldn't touch them. Vergil is OP, but he's not untouchable and without responses. People will figure things out.

j7o20hWOKxEzt.png

Hmm if he's saying this maybe the thing Champ found was't it?
How gracious of him to share.

People can't really decided who is top whatever and I am okay with that.
I think the entire idea of single character tier lists is stupid, and I wish everyone would get it. Like if I say "what tier is Dormammu", the answer is different depending on whether you're looking at him backed by EM Disruptor, Hidden Missiles, Dark Harmonizer, etc. "What tier is Morrigan?" makes this most obvious, because no one does anything noteworthy with her except for ChrisG using Hidden Missiles. It's silly to say she's top, or even high, tier, when she only performs when backed by one partner. It's easier to say someone like Zero is top tier, since he doesn't need anyone, but it's still a silly claim to make, because Zero/Jam Session is a whole other animal compared to Zero/Hawkeye, etc.

Two of the greatest fighting game minds, Viscant and Seth Killian, have both said that we need to look at the game from a team tier list perspective. Why aren't all the lesser minds listening?

Darkhadou

Neo Member
Trying to learn or come up with two things right now:

- A TAC combo for Viper
- A new Strider reset

For the former, I don't think it's possible to get more than Staircase stuff with Burn Kick feint - j.MHs or getting a knockdown with Burn Kick H and doing a relaunch combo

For the latter though, I got particularly inspired from Frantic's old tiger reset video and a combo drop I had earlier in training mode. Basically I'm looking at what could happen if instead of tech chasing with Tiger after a hard knockdown, I call a Bird with Bomb - Wall Cling and pick an option from there (dive kick for meaty wakeup if they roll forward and away from oncoming bird, something else if they go backwards). Optimally, I want the bomb to get some mileage (I just like seeing it get dropped on annoying characters :lol) but if I can play mind games with it, that'd be cool too.

Been sitting on this for a loooooong time and don't see anyone doing it but bird bomb after a hard knockdown into any Vajra for mixup is always safe and if it connects you get a combo off it, will catch all techs in the corner.

i still don't get why people don't mash maximum wesker. i've seen countless people lose on magic pixel because they didn't get max damage, which is an extra 78.6k.

(kinda think hes nuts)

I'm by no mean a Vergil expert like Dahbomb, but I figure Vergil's neutral game isn't that special, and w/o assist he's really nothing special. Then w/o assist or meter he's really just meh.

Two of the greatest fighting game minds, Viscant and Seth Killian, have both said that we need to look at the game from a team tier list perspective. Why aren't all the lesser minds listening?

Because we've been making tier list for 20 years, and in MVC2 even though it was a teamed game tier list still worked. Marvel 3 changed because in Marvel 3 almost every character can win with the right combination unlike Marvel 2 some character with the "perfect" combination is still ass. So tier list still hold true, and in essence tier list doesn't mean X characters can't win.

It just means if both player are of exact 100% equal skill X character > Y character. Plus we are talking about the same community that tier fast food sauce packets from McDonaldls to Burger King.

Solune

I didn't know Wesker's glassesless boost effects his level 3... I figured it being a level 3 it isn't effected by any scaling, guess not!

The funny thing is, Iron Fist's Chi should power up HIS level 3 but it doesn't and it's one of the weakest level 3s in the game at 400k damage. A real oversight.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Nope it is. I think it was Seth who was demoing him early on who said it erases any Chi IF is using.

And I also screwed around with IF early on.

Dahbomb

Because it's hard. Plus while there are a lot of powerful duos, there are very few teams that are considered complete. The only team that I personally consider to be the best of the best is Viper/Dante/Strider and that's a very rare team (more people are playing it since the first time I declared it). We haven't tapped out singular characters, there is still some juice left even from overused characters like Wolverine and Wesker... to say that we have even begun to tap out the various synergies in the game is crazy to even speak of.

Singular tier list are really more of a count of characters tools, both on point and as support, their effectiveness and their status in the current meta game. That's why they change so much.

Azure J

Because it's hard. Plus while there are a lot of powerful duos, there are very few teams that are considered complete. The only team that I personally consider to be the best of the best is Viper/Dante/Strider and that's a very rare team (more people are playing it since the first time I declared it). We haven't tapped out singular characters, there is still some juice left even from overused characters like Wolverine and Wesker... to say that we have even begun to tap out the various synergies in the game is crazy to even speak of.

Singular tier list are really more of a count of characters tools, both on point and as support, their effectiveness and their status in the current meta game. That's why they change so much.

I feel like it's almost a pre-requisite at this point to use something like Combofiend 1.0 as the shining example of a "complete" team. There is nothing that one character on that team can do that the other two cannot jump in and continue, end or further set up on, the team is healthy as fuck and every approach possible is offered to and countered by the group. I'd really love to pick his brain sometimes and wonder what thought process he had when putting it all together.

Viper/Dante/Strider is a potent team, hence why I've started calling it Ultimate's second "Team Cheap Shit/Cheap as Fuck 1.0 [with Zero May Cry being 2.0]/We Won't Let You Play", but DHC options with certain variants of the team (Anything to Viper post Million Dollars midscreen, Anything to Strider that isn't Ragnarok/Orbs) and the straightforwardness of their THC (no mixups on mixups like with Okami Shuffle, although getting pinned with Million Dollars is a death sentence thanks to Viper's Focus Attack) manage to take some points off.

All in my early opinion of the team though.

edit- ah got it, you have to cancel the level 3 immediately after chi. Got 480k. Don't think this is possible in a match though.

Why won't it be possible? Just do it after the stagger one, I mean that's the only time you're going to use the level three anyways right? I don't know IF but the only time I see people use his level three is when they cut combo short because they know it will kill, instead of doing the full BnB which is much more drop able.

shaowebb

Came in to post that it does work with chi, but sixfortyfive has me covered. Back to final reel work at 4am!

EDIT: Also in response to dahbomb's predictions I think MODOK will finally get some of the attention he deserves now. Expect him to go up in rankings along with the Spider thanks to Mexico. Two guys with a lot to offer that no one uses. Jury is still out to see if someone can get RR to synergize well enough to get him some big damage or ridiculous setups that can move him up in people's eyes on the scene. Good dude, but most just want him for an assist.

Solune

I just tested it and it did an extra 20%.
Ah thanks for clearing that up but.
Uh you sure about that? I keeping on getting 400k both ways.

edit- ah got it, you have to cancel the level 3 immediately after chi. Got 480k. Don't think this is possible in a match though.
Yah, the chi expires from ANY combo into level 3.

Edit of Edit: At the least, you cannot Red Chi > Crescent Heel xx Level 3
Why won't it be possible? Just do it after the stagger one, I mean that's the only time you're going to use the level three anyways right? I don't know IF but the only time I see people use his level three is when they cut combo short because they know it will kill, instead of doing the full BnB which is much more drop able.

It really depends since Iron Fist has quite a few variants to his combos. Going for the basic MHF+H + Rekka into Crumple gives you about 778k, that's pre-chi though. My Bnb, which is a bit different (and easier) than Justin's does 970k with the level 3 at the end.

Edit: Great now I have urges to test combos with IF

It's hard, but it's the right way to do things.

The singular tier list is really just a flexibility tier list. Anyone who has eyes knows which characters are the most flexible, though. People say "Tron is mid tier", and I say "Who has developed a decent team for her that we've seen?"

LakeEarth

Uh you sure about that? I keeping on getting 400k both ways.

Is it that the red chi is running out during the level 3 animation? So that it'll only work if you red chi -> level 3?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Is it that the red chi is running out during the level 3 animation? So that it'll only work if you red chi -> level 3?

Yeah that seems to be it.

It's not impossible to do during a match but you're just better off doing a longer combo into the level 3. It seems like the only way to do the red chi xx level 3 is to do it after a crumple state from his Rekka. Crumples don't come around often for IF (at least when I used him) so if you do get one and want to combo into level 3 you can just do- S j.MMHS Cresent Heel xx Level 3 for more damage and meter. I guess if you really want to finish a match off with his level 3 and make sure it kills you can do the red chi xx level 3.

I wonder who else can power up their level 3s like that? Right now I know of Wesker and Iron Fist.

I guess characters that can do something similar by continuing a combo after a level 3. Characters like Dorm, Ryu, Ghost Rider, and uh Wesker again lol.

I spent a good amount of time in training mode, and landed my first full Morrigan double Soul Fist combo! (j.S, s.LMH, f.H, j.MMH, qcf.H, qcb.S addf, j.H, qcf.H, qcb.S, s.S, sj.MMH, dp.M/H, qcf.AA) I actually did it quite a few times in a row, which felt pretty good. I've had to do my own single Soul Fist variant for a while now.

XF3 Vergil with DT on does 400K chip damage with Dimension Slash. WTF.

I found out that Vergil can DHC glitch to Morrigan. I didn't mess with it a lot, but she can definitely start doing a Soul Fist loop from that point. Throw, Devil Trigger, Astral Vision, Soul Fist loop. As with any other throw -> tag situation, the Soul Fists don't seem to suffer from damage decay, since just landing 2 of them did 240K. I'll mess with it more some other time, though.

Landed Helm Breaker, Dark Hole, High Rise (df.H's name, right?), j.S once. Hard as hell, not sure if I'll be able to do it for a long time. Since someone discovered that you can Spiral Swords, High Rise, Lunar Phase to OTG someone after Helm Breaker, but that's way too hard for me, I might try and do Helm Breaker, Dark Hole, Spiral Swords, High Rise to see what happens. I don't care about the damage scaling, I'd just like some way to benefit from happy birthdays without blowing X-Factor when I catch them on a Helm Breaker.

Did my first sword loop. The c.H after Judgment Cut L is hard as heck to get out. Not sure why. I might end my loops early for a while like some noobs do.

Tried to do the Dimension Slash -> Stalking Flare -> 3D0C combo, but my j.S wasn't spiking. Not sure why.

Gah, the hitstun decay on f.H is just brutal for Dormammu. I can't seem to get anything more than this combo going:
j.S, c.LHS, sj.MMHS, dash, call Rapid Slash, Flame Carpet, f.H, Dark Hole, Chaotic Flame.

In corners I get a full relaunch, so this is mostly an issue with mid-screen. I'd like to be able to get more, just so I can get the Dark Harmonizer call in.

If I call Rapid Slash at the same time I throw Dark Matter, they always combo. I can wait for Rapid Slash to hit before I teleport, and then air dash into j.S for a full combo.

Starting a round by throwing Round Trip and canceling into Devil Trigger provides ALMOST enough time to combo off the Round Trip after a hard tag. AAAAALMOST. :-( Still a fantastic way to start rounds if I want Morrigan or Dormammu on point. People are too scared of Vergil to start near him.

That would be a terrible decision.
Why? Marvel is bigger than ever.

Why? Marvel is bigger than ever.

"Strike while the iron is hot" isn't a philosophy I subscribe to when it comes to fightans. Not to mention that UMvC3 is barely a year old, Capcom's fanbase couldn't hate them anymore if they tried, and Seth is gone so there's nobody credible there to convince people to give it a shot.

They should just wait. I know the game wouldn't be coming out anytime soon, but even development should just...wait.

"Strike while the iron is hot" isn't a philosophy I subscribe to when it comes to fightans. Not to mention that UMvC3 is barely a year old, Capcom's fanbase couldn't hate them anymore if they tried, and Seth is gone so there's nobody credible there to convince people to give it a shot.

They should just wait. I know the game wouldn't be coming out anytime soon, but even development should just...wait.
If "Strike while the iron is hot" isn't your philosophy for any kind of business decision, you are wrong.

Duh. I only meant for fighting games. Releasing an MvC sequel while the previous one has barely begun to age is another poor business decision.
Not if it's a full sequel. If they added another 40 characters, giving us a 90 character roster, there would be no hate at all. The people who play the game would adore 40 more cast members, and the people who don't would be glad to get a 90 cast game for $60. The only people to complain would be trolls and people who whine about everything. You can never please the latter group, so don't bother.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Iron Fist's power ups not affecting his level 3 really annoyed me because you couldn't combo into his level 3 without the chi power up expiring.

Even if you can power up > Level 3, that's essentially useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom