• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a very fair assumption that Capcom might not be working with Marvel again any time soon.
At least I can pretend to have Darkstalkers coming up soon...

Oh god, the revelation I'm having now is that the fighting game Niitsuma's been working on is only JoJo's and nothing completely new. Sadness. I hope that after this project he's still working on another fighting game.
Niitsuma actually said in a tweet that he's hoping to work on a different genre.

alright gonna bring hulk/IM/sent to one of the weekly local tournies in NOLA and see how I do. Theres a few hulk/sent players in this area so I'm gonna steal all their stuff, but I'm mainly gonna grind my IM since I hope he's the random factor that I can use to win.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think it's a very fair assumption that Capcom might not be working with Marvel again any time soon.
Don't need to assume when they've said so, at least when it comes to the MvC franchise. That doesn't rule out a Marvel-licensed game or another fighting game franchise though.

Azure J

Anybody on Live want to play my scrubby ass? Going 3 and 15 on ranked is making me wonder if I know how to play this game at all. :/

Solune

Hey Karst, I actually want to ask you a little something. Over on SRK, the guys in the Dante thread have come up with something interesting, it's a checklist of sorts of things to practice in training mode covering different aspects (small and large) for Dante. I'm wondering if you have something similar for Dormammu in your thread.
I do not have such a thing, but it's a pretty cool idea. If I work up the energy to do anything, though, it'll be to work on the Soul Drain thread I started but never did anything to.

I'm going to my local arcade to play some people tonight. I usually do pretty good but there are one or two people who can stomp me pretty bad.

The one guy who I played the last couple of times rolls Haggar/Sentinal/Wesker. Drones and Pipe is really hard to counter. Sometimes I try to go for an air throw before Haggar throw his pipe but I always end up eating it.

Azure J

Hmm Rykendawg is saying Dante can get a full combo off of air throw, have you tried this Azure? I thought it was XF only.

I should be, but right now, I'm just messing around actually playing online. I know, it's weird isn't it, me actually playing instead of lab monstering. :lol

I do not have such a thing, but it's a pretty cool idea. If I work up the energy to do anything, though, it'll be to work on the Soul Drain thread I started but never did anything to.

Ooh, sounds neat. :)

As for my suggestion, I would definitely appreciate it and wouldn't mind coming up with some pretty criteria/titles for things that should be firsthand knowledge for Dorm so long as I can get an idea of what to practice mentally beyond combos and movement. I kinda wish if a post like that was mandatory in a few character threads personally. :p

I'm going to my local arcade to play some people tonight. I usually do pretty good but there are one or two people who can stomp me pretty bad.

The one guy who I played the last couple of times rolls Haggar/Sentinal/Wesker. Drones and Pipe is really hard to counter. Sometimes I try to go for an air throw before Haggar throw his pipe but I always end up eating it.
IMO, it's definitely worth exploring Hulk or Wesker on point against that team. Running away while calling your AA assist and dog support might let you handle Haggar + drones.

As for my suggestion, I would definitely appreciate it and wouldn't mind coming up with some pretty criteria/titles for things that should be firsthand knowledge for Dorm so long as I can get an idea of what to practice mentally beyond combos and movement. I kinda wish if a post like that was mandatory in a few character threads personally. :p
Part of the reason I never did something like this is I try to stay away from the "this is what a good Dormammu should be doing" mentality, because it stifles creativity. We're probably late enough in the game that it's not a bad option, though. Plus Dormammu isn't the most tech-heavy character out there. What would you want to see on the list?

Frantic

Hmm Rykendawg is saying Dante can get a full combo off of air throw, have you tried this Azure? I thought it was XF only.
It's a very tight link, but you can land a Volcano off an airthrow from any normal jump height airthrow. It's easiest when you're close to the ground, and hardest at the peak of a normal jump. From there, you can transition into the usual Shot Loops off a Volcano hard-knockdown. If you can land it reliably, it's definitely worth it, since you get much more damage/meter than you would otherwise.

You can also combo off an airthrow if you're in DT if you come down with a Thunder Bolt > j.H > s.S > Clay Pigeon > Prop Shredder. This one is more character dependent, since the weight and size plays into part of whether you can land a s.S after the j.H or not.

Azure J

Enzo, something's up with lobbies it seems. I can't get you in mine and when I try yours I get a "Failed to Join" message. Sucks.

Edit: Trial is working fine, wireless is all sorted out, I don't know what's up. Especially since I've been playing all day without issue so far.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Enzo, something's up with lobbies it seems. I can't get you in mine and when I try yours I get a "Failed to Join" message. Sucks.

Edit: Trial is working fine, wireless is all sorted out, I don't know what's up. Especially since I've been playing all day without issue so far.
Don't think it's on my end, let me restart.

Try doing a player match instead of a lobby.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
OK, but give me ten minutes or so, getting lunch.
Cool.

Don't know what's up, restarted already, I still can't join.

EDIT: still not working AzureBro :( started a lobby with Nils anyways. Sorry I don't know what's up, my Internet is fine and the games we played before we're good too.

LakeEarth

Hey Karst, I actually want to ask you a little something. Over on SRK, the guys in the Dante thread have come up with something interesting, it's a checklist of sorts of things to practice in training mode covering different aspects (small and large) for Dante. I'm wondering if you have something similar for Dormammu in your thread.

This stuff will help a player like me. I have a hard time staying in training mode and tend to go online after 30 minutes. Sure, I still get experience and get better at certain combos eventually, but I'd get better way faster if I could just stick to a practice regimen like this.

JeTmAn81

Have you not really spent much time playing online? Have you gotten any real playtime with someone other than your brother? There are so many matchups to learn when you play people online...

Azure J

Have you not really spent much time playing online? Have you gotten any real playtime with someone other than your brother? There are so many matchups to learn when you play people online...

It's precisely because of this why I always OD when I'm online on the free weekends and I'm looking into going to Next Level in the future.

Nils I added you.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
It's precisely because of this why I always OD when I'm online on the free weekends and I'm looking into going to Next Level in the future.

Nils I added you.

Alright, I just hopped off because enzo quit, but I'm still down to play if you want to.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Can't stay up too late today Azure so I had to go. Good games. Sorry for the anti-Strider hax :p My flailing hit the poor guy at just the right time a lot.

Azure J

Can't stay up too late today Azure so I had to go. Good games. Sorry for the anti-Strider hax :p My flailing hit the poor guy at just the right time a lot.

Haha, good games man. I gotta admit, there were a few matches where I just had a Nicktoon styled face droop watching Strider run it all the way back only to get 3-hit comboed by Dormammu for the KO (especially that one time when I got the three knockdown resets with Tiger & Bird Bomb only to get an accidental dash up S and a face full of Chaotic Flame when I wanted Formation B :lol). You can also see that my Viper is pretty much an infant and Dante, while my strongest character, is still in dire need of match up experience.

Also, going back a few topics in this thread since those matches reminded me, Captain America is fucking scaaaaary between All American Teleports and that grown ass damage. Gotta admit that I kinda felt like I already lost a character anytime I saw a Shield Slash or Charging Star connect because HYPUH CHAWGIN STAR! is truly bonkers damage wise. Coolest thing I learned today though was that Dante's snap back beats it clean with proper spacing.

I wanted to try changing it up and scrubbing it out with my alt teams, but I felt bad when the Zero/Dante/Phoenix team got to work and my Dormammu and Mags on my third team are as day 1 as possible. With all that being said, do you have any comments or criticisms on the teams, my play or anything like that? It'd be really helpful.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Also, going back a few topics in this thread since those matches reminded me, Captain America is fucking scaaaaary between All American Teleports and that grown ass damage. Gotta admit that I kinda felt like I already lost a character anytime I saw a Shield Slash or Charging Star connect because HYPUH CHAWGIN STAR! is truly bonkers damage wise. Coolest thing I learned today though was that Dante's snap back beats it clean with proper spacing.

Captain America is pretty insane, I rarely ever use him and picked him because I only really have 4 characters but wanted to give you some variety. That said, had damn good results and I loved messing around with his rolls. Your Dante definitely felt like your best character. Good resets with Strider assist that I still don't really know how to properly deal with and stylish combos as he should. Your Strider was good too but as you said he has to work hard and I derped him out a few times I probably shouldn't have.

As for any comments. I'd say try being on the defensive a bit more against Taskmaster. I often try to snipe assists with stray arrow hypers and I felt like I got a lot of free sharp stings in there, which on its own can lead to scary damage. Good usage of Devil Trigger with Dante but maybe you overplayed that card a bit too often as you often wouldn't have the three bars needed to finish me off in instances you totally could.

With Viper try imprinting the reflex of blowing through unsafe stuff with that EX move and try and get those combos down pat. As a whole be on the lookout for unsafe stuff a bit more and try to punish consistently. You had a lot of opportunities to do big damage with Viper where you dropped it after the OTG. Does Viper/Dante have an unblockable incoming mixup setup? If so try and incorporate that into your play too.

With the Phoenix team I felt you used her assist too often to be safe. If I had played more matches against that one I'd be sniping at it with either Hyper Arrows, Flames or Nova's beams. The Magneto team looked quite good for a relatively fresh team, but the random Gravity Squeezes were a bit too much of a risk as they left you both open and cost a lot of precious meter. Feel free to comment on my teams as well, as I do a lot of suboptimal stuff still too.

jvnY8.jpg

GO TO HELL CAPCPOM

Dahbomb

Was just about to post that. I have known that the God Slash extends beyond the visual animation. They need to shave off the hit box at the tip.

Dahbomb

On block yes. Without block you can cancel into teleport (still unsafe because teleport can be punished). Helm Breaker into Rising Sun is -3.

So many people don't even know this it's hilarious.

Frantic

GO TO HELL CAPCPOM
Thank you based Capcpom for deciding vanilla Dante's normals were not dumb enough that you had to go out of your way to make a character with even dumber ones.

One thing I am honestly surprised about is the fact his Spiral Swords are comprised of several moving hitboxes instead of just one big constant 'fuck off' sphere around him like I always imagined it was. I suppose it makes sense, but still.

Thank you based Capcpom for deciding vanilla Dante's normals were not dumb enough that you had to go out of your way to make a character with even dumber ones.

One thing I am honestly surprised about is the fact his Spiral Swords are comprised of several moving hitboxes instead of just one big constant 'fuck off' sphere around him like I always imagined it was. I suppose it makes sense, but still.
Spiral Swords surprised me too.

Azure J

@Frantic: You know that just reminded me of the dumbest "most effective" mixup I've seen in the game so far:

Spiral Swords - walk up next to the blocking opponent - jump over them.

You're in blockstun long enough that you second guess if you can initiate a second block only to get opened up, especially off a crouch block. #Goodgamedesign #ThankYouBasedCapcpom

jvnY8.jpg

GO TO HELL CAPCPOM

Was just about to post that. I have known that the God Slash extends beyond the visual animation. They need to shave off the hit box at the tip.

Holy Christ, this move. :lol

I love Vergil

Indeed.

Captain America is pretty insane, I rarely ever use him and picked him because I only really have 4 characters but wanted to give you some variety. That said, had damn good results and I loved messing around with his rolls. Your Dante definitely felt like your best character. Good resets with Strider assist that I still don't really know how to properly deal with and stylish combos as he should. Your Strider was good too but as you said he has to work hard and I derped him out a few times I probably shouldn't have.

As for any comments. I'd say try being on the defensive a bit more against Taskmaster. I often try to snipe assists with stray arrow hypers and I felt like I got a lot of free sharp stings in there, which on its own can lead to scary damage. Good usage of Devil Trigger with Dante but maybe you overplayed that card a bit too often as you often wouldn't have the three bars needed to finish me off in instances you totally could.

With Viper try imprinting the reflex of blowing through unsafe stuff with that EX move and try and get those combos down pat. As a whole be on the lookout for unsafe stuff a bit more and try to punish consistently. You had a lot of opportunities to do big damage with Viper where you dropped it after the OTG. Does Viper/Dante have an unblockable incoming mixup setup? If so try and incorporate that into your play too.

With the Phoenix team I felt you used her assist too often to be safe. If I had played more matches against that one I'd be sniping at it with either Hyper Arrows, Flames or Nova's beams. The Magneto team looked quite good for a relatively fresh team, but the random Gravity Squeezes were a bit too much of a risk as they left you both open and cost a lot of precious meter. Feel free to comment on my teams as well, as I do a lot of suboptimal stuff still too.

Re: Devil Trigger

A lot of that was meant to be visual noise, like I'd always cancel into it from Crystal or Hysterics in order to have a bit of cover while I'd get devious and attempt a Teleport - Air Dash Forward - Air Dash Backwards - j.L whiff (fake overhead) - land - c.L with the intention of mixing up High/Low, but as it never came out the way it was supposed to, I kinda went buck wild with the Thunderbolts for chip.

Re: Task

Taskmaster is a character I agree with being more defensive with. The few times I got hit with Sharp Sting, I was actually trying to zone or use something with a good bit of startup so I definitely learned that he;s someone I shouldn't challenge button wise with Dante.

Re: Viper

I'm still trying to be less "hurr I has a meter, EX time nao!" with her, but my neutral with her is ayusss. :lol

Can't rapid Seismo as yet so I have to rely on Strider assist, Optic Blast, and wavedash + Weasel Shot assist. It's still fun playing her though. I'm just upset that I'd get my TK feints and the links after that but whenever I got to the Seismo L - Box Dash part, the window was gone and Cap was there ready and waiting for her. :lol

Viper and Dante have an unblockable with Weasel Shot pinning and Viper letting lose a Focus Attack, but I'm so used to playing and up-backer, I'm always trying to make them fall into Focus Attack with Vajra assist. It feels like it should work, but I guess I need to hammer out the kinks in that later.

Re: Phoenix team

It's funny, I'm usually a bit more deliberate with how often I call TK Overdrive, but in these matches, it was bailing me out so often I guess I went gung ho with it. The assist is exceptionally good if you can preempt and zoning attempts as it clears out the vertical area quite well but at the same time, you did see how I dialed it back once I saw you were waiting on her more, right? :p

Zero is too good at everything in this game. If I get those corner carries down, I think that might wind up my strongest "all business" team. Helps that I really love playing Phoenix. You saw how often I'd just let her hang if she got in before meters.

Re: Dormammu/Magneto team

I really think it's just building that second meter as fast as possible with Dante for Devil Trigger - Stalking Flare and also finding time to establish a pace for Dorm zoning/rushdown that gets the better of me. It's like I'm in such a hurry to get Dorm's gameplan up and going (and preferably before Dante gets bopped) that I've gotten a bit of a bad habit of instant Devil Trigger then tagging Dorm in raw. When everything gets going, I just choke since I don't really have a good BnB for Dorm and Mags yet that isn't TAC reliant (seriously speaking, that's one thing about the team currently, they can definitely kill off a good TAC).

On that last note, how about that Dante TAC Fly combo? :p

I'll post anything regarding your team as you ask later on though, getting pulled away for a bit.

I updated the Morrigan Soul Drain thread on SRK with what I know.
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/soul-drain-setups.160763/

Feel free to contribute.

I was in there earlier and I'm telling you, I need to stop. The more I say I'm going all in with certain teams, the more my neglected or "put aside" characters ask for attention. I still want to see how good Felicia/Doom/Amaterasu is sometime. Then there's Vergil/Doom/Morrigan asking to be further explored. :lol

FYI Solune, Doing Helm Breaker, Dark Hole + Spiral Swords, High Time works perfectly. Low execution, just for me!

It's also a super easy way to start sword loops at the end of combos. For example, I can do the following:
s.LMH, f.H, dp.L, sj.MHS, s.H, f.H, qcb.M, s.HS, sj.MMH, d.H, Dark Hole + Spiral Swords, High Time into sword loops.

Thoughts (anyone, not just Solune)?

Damage is about 30 higher than ending with High Time into Dimension Slash, builds about a third of a bar more.

smurfx

get some go again
jvnY8.jpg

GO TO HELL CAPCPOM
rapid slash is what really makes me salty. they could have at least gave him an after trail so you can see the bullshit hitbox on it but nope its better if he hits you with some invisible bullshit. berserker slash wasn't derpy enough so lets make another character with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom