• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT2| New Age of Zeroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the character. One thing I've noticed is that characters with the capability of chaining a standing normal into a crouching normal of the same strength(all three buttons, not just one. Dante can go standing heavy to crouching heavy, but he only gets three per jump, so it has to be like Trish who can do it for light, medium or heavy) can get six per jump, while characters that can only chain to a normal stronger than the previous button only get 3 per jump. There might be a few characters that break the mold, but that's what I've noticed.
That makes more sense. I was really tired last night, but I should have known immediately that not all characters are limited to 3, since Felicia and Morrigan both have MMHS as their regular jump loop.

Solune

But why?! :-O
Frantic sort of answered this but, go into your bible, go to page 57 and find your characters chain combo archetype and you've found your answer on who can do full chains and who can't.
I used to be a guild and raid leader for World of Warcraft, and was main tank. My character's name was Karst - no relation to Golden Sun. One of my guildmates was going to trade accounts with a guy on another server (and then transfer back to ours with the new one), so he asked me to make a character there and check the guy's character out. I tried to make a character called "Karst", but it was taken. I'm a big fan of Greek literature and philosophy, so I added an "icles" on the end to make "Karsticles". So like Hercules, Sophocles, etc. The "e" is long.

I logged onto the new server with my level 1 Hunter, and everyone on Ventrilo busts out laughing. "Karst, that's an amazing name you have there". Being the naive lover of the Greeks I am, I said "Why thank you!" I thought they just appreciated the culture as much as I do (the guild was called Republic, after all...which most people thought was a Star Wars reference - it was a lovely monarchy).

Later that night we were raiding, and my guildmate asked me to tell everyone what I made my name on the other server. So I proudly boasted "KarsticlEs"! There was a noticeable awkward silence, and then my guildmate said "What? I thought it was Karsticles...like you named the character after testicles." Much laughter was had, especially by my wife, who sometimes raided with us.

It became a guild joke, and my wife to this day sometimes calls me "Karsticles" in the way that rhymes with your manparts. After becoming frustrated with so many websites having the name Karst taken due to goddamn Golden Sun fans, I just started using Karsticles on websites to make remembering the name easier.

So yeah, I'm keenly aware that it makes people think of testicles. Any forum group I post with long enough eventually has someone who brings it up with me. I read it as "KarsticlEs" in my head, but I get a good chuckle out of the alternative pronunciation, and what so many people must think about it.
:lol . Amazing. It's also ironic in nature because my alias is taken from Golden Sun :lol

Naw, it's this:
c.H, Spiral Swords, j.d+H, j.d+H, Round Trip, c.H, Judgment Cut L, c.H, Spiral Swords.

I think that's the general sword loop. Often, the second Spiral Swords whiffs because my opponent is too far away.
The opponent is too high or too far away, Yipes has noted this during matches of OMGitzAndre. You have to delay your cancel into Summoned Swords very slightly.

shaowebb

But why?! :-O

I used to be a guild and raid leader for World of Warcraft, and was main tank. My character's name was Karst - no relation to Golden Sun. One of my guildmates was going to trade accounts with a guy on another server (and then transfer back to ours with the new one), so he asked me to make a character there and check the guy's character out. I tried to make a character called "Karst", but it was taken. I'm a big fan of Greek literature and philosophy, so I added an "icles" on the end to make "Karsticles". So like Hercules, Sophocles, etc. The "e" is long.

I logged onto the new server with my level 1 Hunter, and everyone on Ventrilo busts out laughing. "Karst, that's an amazing name you have there". Being the naive lover of the Greeks I am, I said "Why thank you!" I thought they just appreciated the culture as much as I do (the guild was called Republic, after all...which most people thought was a Star Wars reference - it was a lovely monarchy).

Later that night we were raiding, and my guildmate asked me to tell everyone what I made my name on the other server. So I proudly boasted "KarsticlEs"! There was a noticeable awkward silence, and then my guildmate said "What? I thought it was Karsticles...like you named the character after testicles." Much laughter was had, especially by my wife, who sometimes raided with us.

It became a guild joke, and my wife to this day sometimes calls me "Karsticles" in the way that rhymes with your manparts. After becoming frustrated with so many websites having the name Karst taken due to goddamn Golden Sun fans, I just started using Karsticles on websites to make remembering the name easier.

So yeah, I'm keenly aware that it makes people think of testicles. Any forum group I post with long enough eventually has someone who brings it up with me. I read it as "KarsticlEs" in my head, but I get a good chuckle out of the alternative pronunciation, and what so many people must think about it.

My God this is a bigger revelation than IntelliHEATH. Someone please tag this man with "pronounced with a long E".

My God this is a bigger revelation than IntelliHEATH. Someone please tag this man with "pronounced with a long E".
I find it hilarious when people don't know, though. I'd rather have a tag that says "Karst for short.", because it drives me nuts (har har) when people say "Kars". Why on earth do people think of stopping the name there?! It always occurs to me to shorten names on a consonant. It would be like call you "Sha" or Solune "Solu"...or DahBomb "Dahbo".

Frantic sort of answered this but, go into your bible, go to page 57 and find your characters chain combo archetype and you've found your answer on who can do full chains and who can't.
But why?! It's just so weird since everyone can do LLMMHS after a superjump.

:lol . Amazing. It's also ironic in nature because my alias is taken from Golden Sun :lol
I still haven't even finished the second game! I never heard of it until after I came up with Karst.

The opponent is too high or too far away, Yipes has noted this during matches of OMGitzAndre. You have to delay your cancel into Summoned Swords very slightly.
That doesn't make sense to me. Even if I delay the cancel, the opponent is just falling lower, not closer to me. Watching others do it, it seems more like the problem is me doing Judgment Cut L too soon or something, and I should let Round Trip carry my opponent back to me after the first c.H.

I love Golden Sun.

Karst_Battle.gif

I wanna know where your avatar comes from Karst. Plus KarsticEles doesn't roll off the tongue as nice as KarstIcles.
It's "Karst-ic-leez". Just to settle everyone's minds.

My avatar is just a picture I found a long time ago when I used to search Elfwood every day for cool fantasy art. I used it as a portrait for a D&D character whose body was co-habited by a demon and would sometimes lose control of it, burning villages to the ground.

I sometimes use this avatar, found in the same manner:

I don't think either one is "from" anything. I just saved them to my computer way back when (middle school?), and have used them ever since. I also had a Lich avatar I don't have a copy of anymore, because I love Liches and the undead in general. My D&D characters were always worshippers of Vecna.

Karst, if you join XBL, please make your gamertag "xXKarsticleezXx"
I don't get it.

I sold my 360 about a month ago. I kept hoping something would come out for the system, but I never saw something beyond the few (4?) titles I owned that was worth buying. I would definitely never pay for online. I can't wait for the next generation to see how Microsoft handles online play. Can they convince customers that they're actually paying for something?

Azure J

Based on Karst's recent posts, I realize that I'm weird as fuck when it comes to reading since I always thought the name was pronounced with the long Greek e. Just like how I caught the Heath a bit beforehand Hea(l)th-gate. :p

Using a Vita to browse it troublesome btw.

New Wolverine tech in the second part of the video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yf-hIcdEKk

Solune, which is the better Rapid Slash combo, this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykKO-CFygN0&feature=player_embedded#!

Or the one you were doing against me?

It's just a play on stereotypical Xbox Live dudebro gamertags, which I think Karsticleez would fit the bill.

I'm curious too as to how MS will keep me as a customer next gen, and whether any of their million studios working hard on secret stuff they wont release or announce now will have games that are made for me and not my grandma. Though I'm pretty much a Halo nut and will probably end up buying it for Halo anyways. As someone who only owns a 360, the wait for next gen is pretty painful when MS won't put anything else out now.
I dig. I stopped playing Halo after the second one. I thought it was inferior.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't get it.

I sold my 360 about a month ago. I kept hoping something would come out for the system, but I never saw something beyond the few (4?) titles I owned that was worth buying. I would definitely never pay for online. I can't wait for the next generation to see how Microsoft handles online play. Can they convince customers that they're actually paying for something?
It's just a play on stereotypical Xbox Live dudebro gamertags, which I think Karsticleez would fit the bill.

I'm curious too as to how MS will keep me as a customer next gen, and whether any of their million studios working hard on secret stuff they wont release or announce now will have games that are made for me and not my grandma. Though I'm pretty much a Halo nut and will probably end up buying it for Halo anyways. As someone who only owns a 360, the wait for next gen is pretty painful when MS won't put anything else out now.

I was having my best showing so far in our weekly tournaments by actually having convincing wins for once, and I lost because I dropped my combo in the stupidest way, I tried to do super after throw with Frank the normal way instead of THC. It snowballed from there.

I can‘t facepalm hard enough.

Solune

I find it hilarious when people don't know, though. I'd rather have a tag that says "Karst for short.", because it drives me nuts (har har) when people say "Kars". Why on earth do people think of stopping the name there?! It always occurs to me to shorten names on a consonant. It would be like call you "Sha" or Solune "Solu"...or DahBomb "Dahbo".
Dear god...
But why?! It's just so weird since everyone can do LLMMHS after a superjump.
I think they just wanted to prevent everyone from having a jump loop, since most character aerial attacks deal more damage than their ground counterparts.
I still haven't even finished the second game! I never heard of it until after I came up with Karst.
You should! I liked Golden Sun Dark Dawn as well but, not nearly as good as the first two games. And nothing like unleashing Excalibur with awesome Sakuraba battle music. Don't click if you don't want weapon spoilers I suppose.
That doesn't make sense to me. Even if I delay the cancel, the opponent is just falling lower, not closer to me. Watching others do it, it seems more like the problem is me doing Judgment Cut L too soon or something, and I should let Round Trip carry my opponent back to me after the first c.H.
When you're doing your loop, Roundtrip should be hitting 3 times on the way forward and 3 on the way back, try adjusting the timing. If it's already doing this, I'm sure there's a spacing issue somewhere.
Solune, which is the better Rapid Slash combo, this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykKO-CFygN0&feature=player_embedded#!

Or the one you were doing against me?

In terms of damage and meter gain, for sure the one posted. But you have to play Vergil with an OTG assist.

In terms of practicality, the one that I do is more feasible, plus can be done solo. You could theoretically perform the same type of extension with Dormammu that he does with Iron Man but the timing is very strict since they fly out of Dark Hole immediately due to HSD.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Nils, thanks for another fun set of matches. Throughout the set though, I was kinda kicking myself for not capitalizing on a lot of stray hits while also feeling bad that I looked especially mashy. That and I hate how reliant I am on Dante's "Online Special" combos (any knockdown - Cold Shower - Prop Shredder - yadda yadda) I wanna tell you one thing specifically though, with Taskmaster, don't Spidey Swing in to avoid entry mixups. Million Carats does a LOT of damage and with Strider Vajra coming down right after, it's already a starting combo that can get close to 800K right off the bat (if I wasn't ass and still learning matchups). Then there's also the idea that if need be, I can cancel the Million Carats into Devil Trigger and go for an additional mixup while an active wall of ice you can't jump over for a good chunk of frames is in play.

The first three or so matches, I wanted to play with Team Azure 2.0 (Dante/Amaterasu/Strider) but psyched myself out because I was so used to power leveling Viper/Dante/Strider. I really wish if I coulda shown off some more though.

Your teams are really solid, hit hard and can transition well between griefing during the neutral and putting on the hurt when they get in. (I'm beginning to realize that I need to be wary of arrows in this game. There are too many instances where I underestimate the chip or damage on hit and lose a character way earlier than necessary to it.) Dormammu anchor is (as always) one of the most terrifying things to deal with, especially with meter/X-Factor available. You saw that I was getting more liberal with Snaps usually after Reverb - Fireworks? Unfortuately, I forgot how tight a link that is offline and assumed the best case whenever I did it with you trying to drag the Dread Lord in.

Also, what did you think of my Viper on Day 2? I was trying to creep in with Weasel Shot more and I was actually attempting Rapid Seismos a few of the times I got tagged with Arrows... :lol

Late reply, but I couldn't access GAF because of the DNS thing. You're 100% right on the entry mixups. I couldn't figure out how to deal with them and so I defaulted to swings. Would have loved to play more X-23 but I was getting frustrated my fancier stuff wasn't coming out right. She seems to be the most lag sensitive character I play. It's unfortunate as she can do a lot of damage if I extend my combos with Nova assist and any X-Factor level 2 combo should be a kill but I'm dropping it more often than is healthy lately.

As for snapping in Dormammu, unless you mix him up successfully after the snap I never really minded. Love playing Dormammu on point as I can do dirty mixups with Task's arrows if he's still around. My main weakness is that I play the game more as something like KOF than Marvel. My characters are pretty solid on their own, but I still have trouble actually getting the most out of my assists. Outside of combo extensions I still lack a lot of good situational awareness for good assist mixups or confirms outside of obvious teleport left/rights.

In any case good game and great adjustments compared to the day before.

shaowebb

People constantly on every forum ever call me "shadowebb". So often that I now have a catchphrase response ready for it every time it happens.

"Its Shaowebb. Shadowebb is my ultimate form and takes 5 bars and dark resurrection to activate it.

Here, shoryuken, testyourmight...the list goes on. I've lost count of how many times i've said that line. I always get a giggle out of these moments. Apparently some folks were surprised when I didn't fall all over MK9 since I have "Shao" in my name. They just assumed I was an MK Shao Kahn fan. I've since grown to really respect and admire MK9 after the two EVO's I've watched with it and I'll probably be playing it in the next few months as prep for Injustice: Gods Among Us. The name though doesn't have any MK roots for me though. Its actually due to my background in Shaolin-do kung fu. Webb is my last name. Just one of those names that fit at the time to use and that no one else ever has.

Azure J

Thanks for making me feel even worse about my play FSlink. :lol

Spencer is fucking nutty. So many things I think I can punish only for zip line to go right through, stuff on start up or just amazingly hook my ass with. That Wolverine/Wright/Doom stuff is just too much for me to deal with online. So many instances where I'm relying on my quick blocks only to have adamantium in my character's brain. I also realize in retrospect, starting Viper against Wolverine wasn't the smartest thing... And the worst part about all these matches is of course seeing my brother get two matches back to back (the last two with Zero May Cry) that look better than the majority of mine. =/

I don't feel comfortable with any team in this game anymore. :(

FSLink

Banned
ggs@Azure.

Some of your Dante and Strider mixups were ridiculous, same with the hit confirms off of Cold Star from like half screen, lol.

EDIT: And yeah if you couldn't tell I can't pick just one team. >_> I still have trouble picking a "main" team I want to stick with for most matchups. Zero/Frank West/Dante is most likely going to be it, but I wanna use Strange even if he does take a lot of work. My Wolverine/Wright/Doom team is hella gimmicky too as much as I try to make Wright work.

Azure J

I like that you mentioned the Cold Star stuff when I was thinking about how much more confident I felt when I played Dante/Amaterasu/Strider versus Viper/Dante/Strider. There was one match where I went ape shit with Cold Star assist + Strider Bird Bombs and teleported and even I didn't know what the hell happened. Everything just exploded in fire and ice. :lol

One thing these recent matches have taught me though, I really fucking love Strider. I loved that one Wolverine/Strider matchup where I just kept chucking tigers to cut off his ground approach. I think I'm going to invest a bit into getting more creative with him.

I felt like I was doing a good job of paying attention to the Hidden Missiles assist call and punishing it accordingly with Optic Blast/(EX) Seismo or when playing Dante/Ammy/Strider, DHCs into Okami Shuffle to clear the screen.

I also forgot to mention, those Strange Palm swag combos had all of my siblings watching in awe. Your Doom was also terrifying even though I know I put myself in a lot of bad positions playing the matchup. Strider gets bodied so fast by him. :lol

What did you think overall? And what should I focus on to improve my offense? (I play way too defensively, lots of neutral game and zoning)

V_Arnold

Two days ago, a miracle happened.

I waited in an EU lobby, and someone CAME IN!

We played 26 matches, went 10-16 against him, but damn, he was a FRIGGIN GOOD player. Which does not mean a lot, I guess, cause I am still not comfortable with this game fully. I played Spencer/Strange/Vergil, and he picked Magneto/Dante/Strider. Interesting thing was that every time I got caught by ANY of them, that character was dead. I have never seen so many QCF+BB's in the air by Dante in one combo. IT was like, 6+. I do not even know how....

Anyway, I was proud to be able to even win against it, but it was only thanks to my opponent's definitely rusty Magneto, because I would not have stood a chance if that Magneto was as spot on as his other chars.

I might try this "wait in an EU lobby" thing once more, people might actually come in! Mind-blowing!

Quick question related to my loss at the tourney yesterday, if a XF3 Sougenmu'd Zero starts throwing an endless wave of Hadangekis at my XF-less raccoon that's full screen away is there anything I can do other than await my horrible chip death? >.>

Azure J

Quick question related to my loss at the tourney yesterday, if a XF3 Sougenmu'd Zero starts throwing an endless wave of Hadangekis at my XF-less raccoon that's full screen away is there anything I can do other than await my horrible chip death? >.>

From my limited experience against that, NOPE.gif.

You have to get lucky with a gap in the block string and throw out tons of invincible, projectile invulerable or nullifying moves. Also, don't think when you do this, you'll hit him though it all, think more about making it a neutral situation or running out his Sougenmu or X Factor time.

From my limited experience against that, NOPE.gif.

You have to get lucky with a gap in the block string and throw out tons of invincible, projectile invulerable or nullifying moves. Also, don't think when you do this, you'll hit him though it all, think more about making it a neutral situation or running out his Sougenmu or X Factor time.

I was way more worried about not getting chipped to death without being able to do anything than getting that last hit in, believe me, hell, let me go get the replay on twitch and show you guys >.>

Sigmaah

I NEED ANOTHER EXPANSION, capcom is lying when they say they're done with MvC3!!! (I can't handle the fact that they're done with this amazing game...)

Jeez, take a week off and your defense turns to shit. Mine was never super pristine to begin with :(

Not playing very aware right now and it's mad frustrating.

I NEED ANOTHER EXPANSION, capcom is lying when they say they're done with MvC3!!! (I can't handle the fact that they're done with this amazing game...)
Capcom would rather ignore one of their best franchises while pouring all their money into crap like Dragon's Dogma and borderline movies like Remember Me. If I owned Capcom this game would get a new pair of characters every month. There'd be a permanent team dedicated to it, pumping out new content DoA-costume style.

Jeez, take a week off and your defense turns to shit. Mine was never super pristine to begin with :(

Not playing very aware right now and it's mad frustrating.
Try taking 6 months off. Oi, the things I had to relearn.

Dahbomb

didn't champ tell us about this already? i thought it might be something else but its the throw and combo thing champ talked about. everybody call it the champ trick just to fuck with justin or better yet call it the honzo gonzo.
Champ only showed the the Berserker Charge version of that "trick".

What'd you do, anyway?

Called the black olympian gymnast something inappropriate.. I'm going try and appeal my ban and get a better answer for something I feel was petty.

anyway.. I haven't been playing much Marvel or videogames at all.. not to mention missing ReLAtions. work has got me stressed out.. I did however figure how to relaunch with she-hulk's newish tech.

But you guys are like my 2nd home.. I love playing/watching some Marvel.

What's the new She-Hulk tech?

PMed.

What's the new She-Hulk tech?

I know what you mean about the second home. I love this thread. It's too bad we're split across platforms. It would be great if the big 3 could come together and offer cross-platform play next generation.

Sigmaah

Capcom would rather ignore one of their best franchises while pouring all their money into crap like Dragon's Dogma and borderline movies like Remember Me. If I owned Capcom this game would get a new pair of characters every month. There'd be a permanent team dedicated to it, pumping out new content DoA-costume style.

They can't even be dissapointed that UMvC3 sold 600K. (more now of course) what do you expect when you release another version not even a year after? If it was timed right, it would've sold more. Also, if capcom actually added capcom characters that people want, that shit would sell even more! I know that it's hard to get marvel characters fans want, but holy shit, they can't do that with their own characters?!? MY GOD. I don't know who runs shit up at capcom but damn they don't know what they're doing...

Second video has no timestamp. Man, in that first video, it's like neither of your guys like to do combos!

They can't even be dissapointed that UMvC3 sold 600K. (more now of course) what do you expect when you release another version not even a year after? If it was timed right, it would've sold more. Also, if capcom actually added capcom characters that people want, that shit would sell even more! I know that it's hard to get marvel characters fans want, but holy shit, they can't do that with their own characters?!? MY GOD. I don't know who runs shit up at capcom but damn they don't know what they're doing...
Aside from Megaman, what highly wanted character is Capcom neglecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom